Alphabet Soup by Fig Newton
Summary: Contributions to the Alphabet Soup anthologies. Latest installment: Daniel takes a wrong turn in an off-world library and strays through L-Space to Unseen University on Discworld.
Categories: Gen - Character Based, Jack O'Neill, Daniel Jackson, Samantha Carter, Teal'c, Janet Frasier, Gen. Hammond Characters: Daniel Jackson, Gen. Hammond, Jack O'Neill, Janet Frasier, Jonas Quinn, Other Characters, Samantha Carter, Tealc, Vala
Episode Related: 0204 The Gamekeeper, 0207 Message in a Bottle, 0221 Show and Tell, 0317 A Hundred Days, 0605 Nightwalkers, 0606 Abyss, 0622 Full Circle, 0701 Fallen
Genres: Angst, Humor, Missing Scene/Epilogue, POV, Thoughts
Holiday: None
Season: Any Season
Warnings: None
Crossovers: other (not listed)
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 15 Completed: No Word count: 11211 Read: 23251 Published: 2008.07.24 Updated: 2011.02.07
Story Notes:

The Alphabet Soup series started accidentally. The first one was on Sam as a birthday present for Abyssis: twenty-six ficlets about Samantha Carter, defining her from A to Z. The premise proved so much fun and so popular that it bacame a semi-regular series. To date, there have been soups for each member of classic SG-1, George Hammond, Janet Fraiser, Jacob Carter, Vala Mal Doran, Jonas Quinn, Team, and crossovers.

1. G is for Gate by Fig Newton

2. A is for Abydos by Fig Newton

3. E is for Exchanges by Fig Newton

4. T is for Tabloid by Fig Newton

5. F is for Fine Line by Fig Newton

6. G is for Gamekeeper by Fig Newton

7. B is for Blood by Fig Newton

8. U is for Undomesticated Equines by Fig Newton

9. L is for Lockdown by Fig Newton

10. A is for Airborne by Fig Newton

11. C is for Coffee by Fig Newton

12. A is for Aspect by Fig Newton

13. X is for X-Files by Fig Newton

14. D is for Duct Tape by Fig Newton

15. L is for L-Space by Fig Newton

G is for Gate by Fig Newton
Author's Notes:

For Defining Sam from A to Z, the very first Alphabet Soup anthology. Sam will never stop loving the Stargate.

This first ficlet is the shortest, because the anthology was concieved and executed in only three days, and fics were supposed to be limited to only 100-200 words.

It confounds everything she's ever thought she knew and understood about quantum physics. It coaxes her into contradictions and impossibilities, forcing her to reject the absolutes of mathematics and accept irrationality as a basic foundation. It dances along time and space, both a wave and a particle, laughing at her specialized knowledge and mocking the cool logic of numbers.

And she loves it. Because it also introduces her to wonders, both beautiful and terrible, that she never dreamed existed. It challenges her to think outside the box, and then discard the box entirely and build a brand new one. It teaches her to step sideways in space-time through blue-shifted light into infinite potential, to abandon the stolidity of human thought and open her mind to a galaxy of questions and theories and sometimes, even answers.

She knows that she's paid the price: in grief, and pain, and mental scars; in love, and loss, and a deeper, starker glimpse at the depths of her own psyche than anyone would ever want to see. But it's a price she's paid willingly, and she'll continue to pay, as long as that siren song beckons her to step into wonder and enchantment.

It's ten years, now, that she's been walking through the Gate.

And no matter how blasé she might appear on the outside, no matter how casual her routine habits seem, Sam knows that it will never, ever get old.

A is for Abydos by Fig Newton
Author's Notes:
Written for Daniel Alphabet Soup. Daniel on Abydos, with a very faint hint of Teal'c and Daniel friendship. Angst level on high. Set sometime after Orpheus.

To most, Abydos was a symbol. 

Humanity saw Abydos as its champion: the catalyst which caused the destruction of the greatest of the System Lords, the site where the Tau'ri exploded back into the universe on a wave of triumph and a show of power. The Goa'uld were fallible. The Goa'uld were vulnerable. The odds couldn't be overwhelming if a handful of humans had toppled Ra from the height of power where he'd reigned over his own kind for millennia. The story flew from world to world, as silent and enduring as starsong: the Goa'uld could be killed. The greatest of them all had already been destroyed. For those still enslaved, the tale of Abydos, whispered in the dark, was a lesson in hope.

The people of Earth looked to Abydos for more than inspiration, for it also gave them new horizons. Abydos served as Earth's gateway to the universe. Sister planet, close enough to evade the fatal catch of stellar drift, Abydos had beckoned them into a greater, nearly infinite landscape. Daniel might have handed Earth the keys, but Abydos gave the Tau'ri the map to the galaxy.

The Goa'uld, on the other hand, saw Abydos as both trophy and menace. Ra's greatest source of naquadah, ripe for the taking? It was a deliberate power play for Apophis to harvest hosts from Ra's worlds, including the near-mythological First World and Abydos, where Ra had first settled his Ta'uri slaves. Yet even as Apophis paraded Amaunet's host, an Abydon native, in front of the other System Lords, none could avoid the frisson of unease. Ra was dead. For all their failed scheming and plotting and battles for unchanging generations, Ra had been killed. By humans. Over Abydos. It was a planet that reeked of danger, and it would never be allowed to fade into obscurity. 

It was why Anubis so ruthlessly turned the power of the Eyes on Abydos. If he was going to truly assert his standing as master over the other Goa'uld, what greater symbol could he find than the destruction of the site of Ra's death and the Tau'ri's emergence into the galaxy?

Daniel, on the other hand, cannot see Abydos as a symbol. There are labels, to be sure, buried deep beneath the surface of his subconscious, never to be acknowledged: the tangible proof of his theories, his journey through symbolical water and literal fire, the threshold where he paused, teetering, for over a year before toppling into the wider universe. But when Daniel thinks of Abydos, the imagery is more immediate, more real, and infinitely precious. 

Because Daniel loves Abydos not as a symbol, but as itself. It is the physical embodiment of the world he has sought in the sands of time and erosion of his life, and he walks across its sands with awe and wonder. It is blessed with a people of passion and courage and spirit, who love and fight and roar with the zest for life that can only be experienced by those who were enslaved and won their freedom. It offers him the ultimate anthropologist's dream in a culture that enchants and maddens all at once. And it grants him a family: a wife of astonishing intelligence and humor, a good father and a good brother, dozens of cousins in bewilderingly complex layers of attachment. He walked away from Earth to embrace Abydos, and for all the frustrations he sometimes encounters, he never truly regrets it.

Even when Sha're dies, and his journey to Abydos is weighted by staggering grief (with that guilty hint of relief that she is at peace, and he'll never say so), there is an odd comfort in knowing that her body, lovingly wrapped in linen folds, lies embraced and cradled by the shifting sands... 

And that is why Daniel now huddles on the floor of Teal'c's quarters, shaking uncontrollably, crumpled in on himself. It is why the silent comfort of Teal'c's strong hand on his shoulder goes unnoticed, and the keening wail of despair dies unvoiced in his throat. It is why their quiet session on meditation has been abandoned for the devastation of absolute mourning, and Daniel knows that he will never get the chance to indulge in the serenity of home.

Because Daniel Jackson has remembered what happened to Abydos, and he will never tread across its sands again.

 

E is for Exchanges by Fig Newton
Author's Notes:
For Daniel Alphabet Soup. Daniel, Sam, and Jack. It is whispered among the Goa'uld that the Tau'ri are telepathic... Humorous fluff.

It is whispered among the Goa'uld that the Tau'ri are telepathic...

"Hey, Daniel!" Sam called from across the stone plaza. "Did you see this?"

Daniel straightened from his stooped position and turned his head. "What?"

"Come take a look."

With a last glance at the glyphs carved into the trapdoor, Daniel crossed the plaza to where Sam was fiddling with an exposed panel.

"See?" Sam pointed. "Isn't this the same thing as --"

"Oh, you're right!" Daniel squinted and carefully prodded a crystal. "From the time when you --"

"Exactly! And didn't you say then that it was --"

"Probably an offshoot of Ancient Mayan, which has to do with --" 

"So I tried to get a reading on it, and look!" Sam stabbed a finger at one of her readouts. "It's almost exactly like the time when --"

"That's brilliant, Sam! But what if we shifted it over to --"

"Oooh, hadn't thought of that! Let me see."

She reached inside the panel with a tool and delicately manipulated one of the crystals.

"Try the fourteenth," Daniel advised. "The Mayan counted by thirteens, so --"

"So we want to get to the next group of numbers, of course!"

 Daniel's finger drew a circle in the air. "They believed that everything was in narrow layers. Life and death..."

"Or the surface and underground?"

"It's definitely possible. Of course, if we'd --"

"I think that's it!"

The two of them whipped their heads around simultaneously and stared expectantly at the trapdoor. After a long, breathless moment, it obediently grated back to expose a staircase of worn stone, descending deep into the ground.

"Yes!" Sam and Daniel chorused in triumph.

Daniel started eagerly forward, with Sam only a step behind. He was only two steps away from the stairs, his hand fumbling for the flashlight fastened to his vest, when a shout cracked through the chilly air. 

"Daniel!"

Daniel stopped at the head of the stairs, but did not turn round. "Jack?" he replied, his voice innocent. 

Jack marched across the clearing towards Sam and Daniel, glowering. "Daniel!" he snapped again.

"Jack," Daniel shrugged. He did turn them, and crossed his arms.

Jack halted two feet away and narrowed his eyes. "Daniel."

"Jack." Daniel drew out the name, almost in a singsong, and gave him a pointed look.

Jack snorted with indignation. "Daniel!"

Daniel didn't quite roll his eyes, but he did uncross his arms so he could flail meaningfully with one hand. "Jack!"

"Daniel," Jack sighed, frustrated.

"But sir," Sam tried to protest, but Jack held up a warning finger to silence her. 

"Aht!" he snapped. She subsided, a little sulkily, and Jack resumed with his main argument. "Daniel," he repeated, his tone weighted with menace. He tapped at his watch.

Daniel just shook his head. "Jack," he warned.

The two of them stared at each other for several seconds. Then Jack gave up.

"Oh, all right!"

Daniel's face lit up with a delighted smile. "Thank you, Jack," he said. "C'mon, Sam, let's go! We've only got fifteen minutes."

T is for Tabloid by Fig Newton
Author's Notes:
For Teal'c Alphabet Soup. Teal'c has fun with the team and tabloids. Slight spoilers for One Hundred Days and Fallen.
Teal'c first discovered tabloid magazines when he found a rolled-up copy of The International Questioner in Sergeant Siler's toolbox.

It happened during those tedious three months when O'Neill was trapped on Edora. Major Carter spent her days - and most of her nights - working on the particle accelerator, while Daniel Jackson struggled with a backlog of translations, his dealings with the Edoran refugees, and his efforts to ensure that Major Carter did not drive herself into exhaustion. Teal'c did not resent their absent-minded neglect; he knew it only due to distraction and overwork. But he found himself missing O'Neill more keenly than ever.

General Hammond, of course, kept Teal'c well occupied. With the general's endorsement, he continued to offer training exercises in the gym to the members of the SGC, and he often accompanied other teams through the Stargate on missions. Nevertheless, as he paced the harshly-lit hallways after a session of kel'no'reem, Teal'c was all too aware that he had not seen the Tau'ri sun or moon or stars for weeks, and he found himself missing the sharp scent of Chulak's chilly nights with an intensity that surprised him.

On one of those nightly vigils of the SGC's lower levels, he came across Sergeant Siler balanced precariously on a ladder, struggling to repair a minor fault in the security system. Teal'c, pleased with even a minor distraction from his frustrated boredom, offered his assistance. He quite liked the taciturn sergeant, who handled the most bizarre circumstances with laconic aplomb, and he soon found himself working together with the man in companionable silence.

They were carefully replacing the sergeant's tools in his toolbox when Teal'c noticed the magazine tucked under the slots of screwdrivers.

"What is this, Sergeant Siler?" he asked curiously. His ingrained sense of privacy would not allow him to take remove the magazine and inspect it without permission, but he could not resist the question.

He was surprised to see a large grin spread across the man's face.

"Hasn't the colonel introduced you to tabloids yet, Teal'c? Ah..." Sergeant Siler flushed a little, no doubt remembering that O'Neill was not in a position to introduce Teal'c to anything. Then he recovered and took the magazine, unrolling it with a flourish. "I'm finished with it. Here, enjoy."

Teal'c blinked at the lurid colors and the screaming headline - TWO-HEADED BABY BORN IN KANSAS! - and accepted the gift with a courteous nod. He filed the term "tabloids" away in his head for future reference.

Back in his quarters, Teal'c perused the magazine with the same careful intensity that he invested in any new source of information. It did not take long for him to understand that the magazine's stories were little more than absurdist escapism, but he found himself charmed by the sheer magnitude of the effort invested into writing what every reader must recognize as lies. And in truth, was it so different from the exaggerated tales he had heard as a child of legendary Jaffa heroes, striding unscathed across the battlefields?

He was fascinated, too, at the obsession with the celebrities that provided the Tau'ri with their entertainment. These were human beings, with as many faults as the other people of Earth, if not more than their fair share. Yet the Tau'ri cheerfully placed them on pedestals of their own making, and worshiped their words and their actions... until they themselves tore those pedestals down, and threw the celebrities from their status of glory to suffer in ignominious obscurity.

It was a habit unique to the Tau'ri, and impossible to imagine among a population that was oppressed by the Goa'uld. Teal'c was pleased at this proof of independence that was simultaneously a quirk of foolishness among his adopted people, and by the time O'Neill returned to Earth, Teal'c was already a regular subscriber to a number of tabloid magazines.

It was some months later that O'Neill became the first of his teammates to learn of Teal'c's new source of entertainment, when he found the latest issue of The Planet lying on a shelf in Teal'c's spartan quarters.

"T! You're not actually reading this stuff, are you?"

"Indeed I am," Teal'c told him calmly. "These magazines often contain articles of great interest."

"But they're total nonsense," O'Neill complained, even as he took the magazine and started to flip idly through its pages. "I mean, look at these headlines, for crying out loud! 'Woman weds red-haired orangutan'?"

"I believe the orangutan in question was very well-read," Teal'c said, straight-faced.

O'Neill shot him a speaking look, and turned another page. "And this one, about... huh." He lapsed into silence as he read first one article, then another. Teal'c stood at parade rest and watched benignly.

Long minutes passed before O'Neill blinked and slapped the magazine back onto the shelf where he had found it. "Really stupid stuff," he muttered. He glanced at it sideways, then turned resolutely to Teal'c. "I came to tell you that we'll be heading out a little later than expected. Nineteen hundred okay with you?"

"That will be fine," Teal'c agreed, giving a slight nod of acquiescence. "I look forward to the experience."

"Yeah. This new steakhouse that Carter told me about. O'Malley's. Should be good stuff." O'Neill rocked back on his heels and quirked a grin. "Meet you at the elevators?"

"Indeed."

"Great! See you then!"

Teal'c did not fail to observe that as he strode from the room, O'Neill reached out a casual hand and retrieved the copy of The Planet for further perusal.

After that, it became customary for O'Neill to pick up Teal'c's latest tabloid magazine and complain loudly about its unrealistic false reporting, even as the issue in question somehow found its way into O'Neill's pocket so he could read it at his leisure. Teal'c did not mind this. After all, O'Neill usually left replacements behind. These ranged from MAD to People to The Simpsons Magazine to Victoria's Secret catalogs. This last, in particular, had proved of great interest, and Teal'c ordered several items to present to Drey'auc on his next journey to the Land of Light.

Of course, he always made sure to finish reading the tabloids himself before leaving them where O'Neill could find them....

Major Carter's reaction to Teal'c's reading material, on the other hand, was a mixture of embarrassment and amusement.

"Of all the stupid Earth customs, Teal'c," she chuckled, dangling his latest copy of Moon from fastidious fingertips. "I admit that they're so ridiculous they're funny, but can't we find you something better to read?"

"I find them quite enjoyable," he assured her. He took the tabloid from her and laid it carefully on the shelf, next to an older copy of Sonar that O'Neill had not yet taken. "These magazines provide an interesting perspective on the Tau'ri."

"Interesting, yes. That's a good way to put it." She cocked her head to one side, surveying the shelf with a dubious twist to her lips. "There's a lot more out there that makes good reading, you know."

"Indeed?" Teal'c raised an eyebrow at her.

"Yes." Major Carter nodded firmly. "I'm sure I can find something that you'll enjoy more than this!"

And so the game began. Teal'c began to find different magazines in odd places: on a shelf in his locker, in the drawer of his bedside table, tucked inside a box of candles that Sergeant Siler delivered to his door. Major Carter chose publications that catered to a variety of subjects: American Art Review, Air and Space, Better Homes and Gardens, Popular Mechanics, GQ, Smithsonian. Teal'c read them all, and enjoyed them, but continued to subscribe to a number of tabloids, deliberately perusing them in Major Carter's presence.

He also began to leave her little gifts in return. She discovered a copy of Popular Science lying on her chair in her office, the latest issue of Discover in the pocket of her freshly laundered BDU jacket, and a subscription to Scientific American arriving in her SGC mailbox. When Daniel Jackson expressed his bewilderment at her sudden choice of reading materials that were designed to educate the general public on a level of understanding far beneath her own, Major Carter only laughed and refused to explain further.

She declared Teal'c to be the victor of their little contest when she opened the web browser on her computer and found that the home page had been changed to Freefall. In acknowledgement of a game well-played, she gifted him with a year's subscription to Star Wars Insider, and procured tickets for the entire team to watch the premiere of Attack of the Clones. Teal'c's disappointment in the movie did nothing to lessen his appreciation for the gesture and the gift.

Daniel Jackson's reaction to Teal'c's tabloid subscriptions was most entertaining of all. For nearly three months, Teal'c maintained the charade of actually believing the news articles that graced National Tester and Weekly Worldly Intelligence. Daniel Jackson, horrified at the misconception that Teal'c so carefully encouraged, expended great effort in trying to convince Teal'c that the tabloids were composed of blatant fabrications.

Teal'c absorbed the series of impassioned diatribes with unruffled calm, listening politely to Daniel Jackson's lectures on the insidious impact of false reporting, the urgent need for accuracy to influence a person's concept of the forces of history, and the lowest common denominator of popular culture. On one such occasion, O'Neill wandered past in time to overhear the conversation, and he brightly inquired how tabloid magazines might differ from mythology. Teal'c, as always, was both fascinated and amused at O'Neill's casual, consistent ability to reduce Daniel Jackson to almost apoplectic incoherence.

The game did end eventually. Teal'c was alone with him in the exercise room, changing for their weekly routine, when Daniel Jackson suddenly halted mid-sentence and looked at him. Teal'c returned the gaze with a benign lift of the eyebrow. For nearly a minute, the two men simply stared at one another. Then Daniel Jackson gave a reluctant laugh and threw his hands into the air.

"You knew all along!" he accused.

"Indeed?" Teal'c replied, maintaining a façade of polite innocence.

"Yes, indeed!"

Teal'c tucked his hands behind his back. "I spent decades learning that Apophis' claims of omnipotence and omniscience were falsehoods. Such an experience does cultivate a healthy skepticism towards outlandish claims."

"Fair enough," Daniel Jackson conceded. "I should have realized that from the start." He gave Teal'c an apologetic nod, then suddenly frowned, his own brows drawing together in thought. "But if you know they're absolute dreck, Teal'c, why do you keep reading them?"

Teal'c tilted his head to the right, considering the question. "Why do you keep a copy of Wallis Budge's translation of The Book of the Dead in your office?" he asked in return.

Daniel Jackson blinked at the question, then laughed again - this time, with wholehearted amusement.

After that, the two of them often read the tabloids together. Teal'c discovered that he enjoyed analyzing the stories with Daniel Jackson, trying to determine what grain of truth might lie smothered beneath the lurid articles. Their theories were often as exaggerated and elaborately false as the tabloids themselves, but Teal'c found that the discussions granted him a great deal of insight - not only into the world of the Tau'ri, but into the mindset of his teammate as well.

The thirty-volume set of encyclopedias that Teal'c found in his room one day was not quite as entertaining as the tabloids, but he enjoyed it nonetheless.

When Daniel Jackson returned to them after his descension with his memories frayed and tattered, Teal'c planned a pilgrimage to Graceland during their granted downtime. O'Neill would enjoy it as much as he, and Major Carter would be entertained by the spectacle, even if she found it ridiculous. And perhaps Daniel Jackson would remember the many hours they had spent in companionship, ridiculing the worship of self-created gods on pedestals of celebrity status... especially if Teal'c purchased a copy of The International Questioner as reading material on the way.
End Notes:
1. While the mainstream magazines mentioned here are real, the tabloids are all parody titles. Feel free to guess the originals.
2. The odds that the orangutan in question said "Ook" instead of "I do" are a million to one. (But it might just work!)
3. Freefall comics can be read here.
F is for Fine Line by Fig Newton
Author's Notes:

In tribute to Don S. Davis on what would have been his 66th birthday, as part of the Hammond Alphabet Soup.

George considers the fine line he has to walk every day. Vague references to various episodes in S1-5.

"Colonel, you walk a fine line."

George Hammond remembered telling O'Neill that, in a tone of almost fond exasperation. But Jack O'Neill's regular dance along the line of insubordination was nothing compared to the tightrope that George found himself walking every day.

He had to follow orders. He had to keep his people safe. He had to do his duty to the oaths he took, the uniform he wore, the country he served, the planet he protected.

But he also had to question ethical directives, struggle with the pressure to justify any means, cope with the uncanny and bizarre on a regular basis, and deal with a seething morass of military and civilian and alien, forging it all into a coherent, working whole.

There were days when it seemed that those conflicting demands couldn't possibly coexist.

He teetered on the edge of that line, sometimes. There were occasions when he'd missed a step: the decision to strip-mine trinium behind the Salish's backs, the willingness to bow to pressure from above and sign a treaty with a nation bent on genocide. There were times when he risked being shoved off the line by those with their own agenda: his willing debasement in Kinsey's office, his defiance of orders to personally go after his people, the personal threat to his grandchildren. For the most part, though, George maneuvered his way through the minefield of command with deft precision, juggling the need to pacify the Pentagon and the Oval Office with the even greater necessity of protecting the men and women under his command.

It was a dangerously fine line that demanded a constant weighing of options and choices.

He could only pray that he never slipped and fell.

G is for Gamekeeper by Fig Newton
Author's Notes:

In tribute to Don S. Davis on what would have been his 66th birthday, my second contribution to Hammond Alphabet Soup.

Hammond debriefs SG-1 after The Gamekeeper. Spoilers for that episode, obviously.

Hammond leaned slightly forward, fascination warring with horror.

"This Gamekeeper pretended to be me?" he repeated.

"He drew his material directly from our minds, sir," Captain Carter explained.

"Well, my mind. And Daniel's," Colonel O'Neill qualified. His brows were locked in a tight scowl. "He got everything right, from the SFs to all those little... doohickeys in the infirmary."

"The visual simulation was impeccable," Teal'c said calmly, his clasped hands resting on the briefing room table. "There was nothing to indicate that we were not actually back at the SGC."

Hammond let out a slow breath. He made a mental note to discuss the ramifications of security breaches with the colonel at a later time - possibly over a clandestine glass of whiskey, considering O'Neill's obvious fury at the invasion of his privacy. For now, though, he wanted to know how his people had escaped such an insidious trap.

"So the Gamekeeper masqueraded as me," he said again. It was appallingly irresistible to imagine the Gamekeeper rummaging through SG-1's brains and imprinting on his own image as the perfect foil. "What made you realize that you were still on the planet?"

They all blinked at him for a moment.

"Well, it was obvious, sir," Carter said.

"Once he actually opened his mouth, it was all over, really," O'Neill added dismissively.

Hammond frowned. "I don't understand."

Doctor Jackson, whose own struggle to clamp down on his anger had kept him silent until now, looked up from his prolonged study of the table surface. "He didn't show any concern for our safety, sir," he explained in a low, soft voice. "We knew it couldn't possibly be you."

It was Hammond's turn to blink. He sat back in his chair, looking at each of the four members of SG-1 in turn. Even Teal'c was nodding in agreement, although his nod was infinitely more stately and regal than the others.

A slow smile spread across his face, to match the warm glow he felt within his heart.

He always cared for his people, for the men and women under his command.

It was good to know that they knew it, too.

B is for Blood by Fig Newton
Author's Notes:
Written for Jack Alpha-Bits. A dark fragment of Jack's stream of consciousness in Abyss. Includes canon torture.

rich and cloying, the copper taste of blood

overlays all senses

turning hearing into muffled murmurs, his sense of smell clogged by memories of

Charlie not Charlie no no no

blood coats his tongue.

pinned against merciless metal mesh

he blinks blood away and watches that crystal vial tipping, spilling

droplets hang, then dart across the room

searing breastbone, burrowing deep to flay nerve endings

and Jack wants to scream, but the blood runs into his throat, gagging and choking.

gravity at his back, dragging him down, down,

is this how Cromwell felt when he plunged into the black hole of the Gate?

Carter would tell him if he's still falling, still feeling.

Jack is falling now, falling, failing, blood seeping everywhere but into his veins,

his heart pumping, frantic to find

the blood that pools beneath that small body, and Sara is somewhere, sobbing instructions on the phone, and Charlie's gasping breaths have him scrambling to stop, stop it, stop the blood that paints his hands and arms as it drains...

another acid droplet splashes his cheek,

scalds inwards, and the blood trickles faster now.

a voice rumbles somewhere to the right, above him, and Jack doesn't want to listen

he wants this to stop, he wants to stop the blood that flows and thickens and keeps

Charlie. Charlie. Charlie.

his tormentor asks questions, and questions,

and no one tells you that the devil loves all that glitters and is gold

and holds her hostage

or that there will never ever be relief

manicured hands, fingering the vial, playing with it

tilting it then straightening, a threat and a promise

but the promise is hollow, because even if the last blood drains away

and it will, just like Charlie's

it will just start again.

again and again and again.

"Daniel," he tries to say

but he can only mouth it, because his vocal cords are torn from screams and acid

and ebbing strength

"Daniel."

Daniel.

he doesn't know if the word is plea

or prayer, or profanity

but as his vision dims to black

and he gasps one last bubbling breath

and his heart stutters and fails

he knows that he only wants this to end.

U is for Undomesticated Equines by Fig Newton
Author's Notes:

Written as backup for Jack Alpha-Bits. Jack and Teal'c in Montana, post-Point of No Return.

Thank you, Aurora, for the quick and expert beta!

Marty was back in his apartment, and Carter and Daniel were already on their way to Colorado Springs to give their final briefing to Hammond. Jack hadn't explained why he and Teal'c would be delaying their own return, and the others had been wise enough not to press for details.

Teal'c tugged his hat a little lower on his forehead as he climbed back into the four-wheel-drive truck that Jack had rented. They stopped at Stella's Kitchen and Bakery and ordered bear claws and crullers, then headed east on Route 87.

Teal'c carefully inspected the pastries before selecting a bear claw.

"Daniel Jackson mentioned that stakeouts should include doughnuts," he observed between bites.

"We'll find a Dunkin' Donuts on the way back," Jack promised.

It took a little more than two hours for Jack to navigate the roads to the Bighorn Canyon National Recreation Area. Teal'c said little, but he raised an eyebrow as they left the smooth pavement of the interstate and turned onto a rough road, marked only with a sign that proclaimed it "Tillets Fish-Rearing Station."

"Bad Pass Highway, they call it," Jack explained briefly. "You need four-wheel-drive to manage."

Teal'c seemed to bear the jouncing with equanamity, merely biting into another cruller.

Jack pulled the truck over near a spot where the land stretched out ahead of them, wide and open. He winced a little as he slid out of the truck, easing the kinks out of his back after the bumpy ride. He couldn't help but notice that Teal'c's movements were as fluid and graceful as ever.

A grand, enormous silence settled over the two of them, broken only by the faint ticks of the cooling engine. Jack leaned against the fence at the side of the road, and waited.

Teal'c slid a glance in his direction, then lifted his chin to gaze across the vast expanse of flatland. "I do not understand why this untamed land is of particular interest, O'Neill."

"It's a national park," Jack said, reluctant to give too much away. "Development here is against the law."

"Indeed?" Teal'c's serene expression didn't change, but his voice suggested that Jack wasn't fooling anybody.

"Yeah, it's - ah. There they are." He nodded off to the west. "Take a good look, Teal'c."

Teal'c looked, and Jack knew him well enough to spot the slight stiffening of his shoulders and the barely perceptible intake of breath. Yes, he was impressed.

Jack was, too. He gripped the fence's rail a little more tightly as the herd of mustangs swept across the flats beyond, the rhythmic drumming of the hooves rolling across the distance. The grace of their movements called to him, a dance of fierce wildness completely unspoiled and untouched.

As the thunder of their galloping faded and the horses disappeared into the distance, Jack clapped a hand on Teal'c's shoulder.

"There," he said, and he couldn't stop the hint of affection that crept into his voice. "Those were undomesticated equines, Teal'c."

Teal'c was silent for a long moment, his eyes gleaming a little more brightly. "They are truly wild? They have never been tamed?"

"Nope." Jack considered, then added, "Technically, they're feral horses, not biologically wild. They have domesticated ancestors. But the mustangs went wild long ago."

"They were once enslaved, and now they are free?"

"You could put it that way, yeah," he agreed.

Once held in harness. Now free. He looked sidelong at Teal'c.

"Undomesticated equines," he said again, his voice softer this time.

They remained until the shadows lengthened into dusk, and then, without another word, climbed back into the truck for the journey home.
L is for Lockdown by Fig Newton
Author's Notes:
For Janet Alphabet Soup. Against the backdrop of Message in a Bottle, Janet struggles with the conflict of the two oaths in her life.
Janet Frasier has taken two oaths in her life: one as a doctor, and one as an officer in the United States Air Force.

Those oaths are clashing for the first time.

Janet knows that she isn't infallible. Despite all her efforts, one day, someone will die in her infirmary. She's been lucky so far - well, a combination of luck, hard work, a marvelously efficient staff, and some desperate improvisation. People die in the course of this terrifying war, but she's winning the battlefield in her own domain. Every life she saves is another victory, even if some lose the struggle before she has the chance to fight on their behalf.

It happens, Janet knows. She leaves the arrogance of belief in one's own omnipotence for the Goa'uld, although some surgeons she's worked with could give them a run for their money. Janet hates knowing it, but she's all too aware of the inevitable.

There will come a time when she won't be able to restart a heart, when offworld germs prove impervious to onworld medications, when the injuries are too severe or the blood loss too great. A moment will come when she feels a pulse falter and fail, when resuscitation meets unresponsive lungs, when adrenaline or defibrillation or a dozen little tricks and cheats just don't work any more. And when it happens, she will bow her head in defeat, mark the time for the official record, and mentally add one more tally to the grudge she has against death.

But she doesn't want it to happen like that today.

It seems unfair - but when is life fair, after all? - that she needs to fight against alien diseases, wounds caused by alien weapons, when she only has Terran methods at her disposal. The temptation of using Goa'uld technology to help defeat Goa'uld depredations is a seductive, sibilant whisper in her ear: It would be worth it. Think of all the lives we can save. She forces herself to remember how Daniel Jackson's body almost shut down, how he'd been strapped down and sedated and still found the insane strength to grip her arm with steely fingers and hurl her bodily across the room.

No, she has to use the arsenal that human ingenuity and human dedication has distilled and invented, the medications and machines that she knows and trusts. But they aren't working this time, because even though she's broken enough of the viral chain to determine how to fight it, tetracycline isn't enough. Janet has a young lieutenant tossing restlessly in her infirmary, fever soaring, who desperately needs an alternative.

And she can't get it for him.

Wildfire. Base locked down. Nothing goes out… and nothing comes in.

Graham Simmons is allergic to tetracycline.

...to practice and prescribe to the best of my ability for the good of my patients...

She needs that alternative.

"Don't make me repeat myself, Doctor."

She wants to take the general by the shoulders and scream at him, "Forget the stupid miltary rules! You're killing my patient!"

But she's taken that other oath, too.

...I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic...

Foreign, ha. Can't get much more foreign than an alien orb from a dead world pinning Colonel O'Neill to the wall. O'Neill is slowly dying. The entire base might not be far behind.

Maybe all of Earth.

Like the other officers in Stargate Command, she isn't just defending her country. She's fighting on the front lines to save the whole world.

Lockdown. Wildfire.

Stop the organism from spreading deadly tendrils to the rest of the planet. Let a young man die.

Janet Frasier has taken two oaths in her life.

The two of them have never truly clashed.

Until now.
A is for Airborne by Fig Newton
Author's Notes:
For Jacob Alphabet Soup in August 2009: For all the wonders Jacob witnesses as a Tok'ra, there's still nothing better than flying.
Jacob missed stick time.

He missed the living vibrations that thrummed beneath his fingers as he manipulated the joystick of the F-100D and absorbed information from the CDP with practiced calm. He missed that heart stopping moment when he broke through low-lying scud to see the ground perilously close, disaster only averted by skill and reflexes. And, perhaps most of all, he missed that glorious instant when he tore loose from the clouds' gray embrace to see splendid, vast stretches of lonely sky.

He'd slogged through his share of ground work, to be sure, but he'd never been happier than the time spent in the cramped cockpit of the sturdy fighter, pushing 750 knots, feeling the power at his fingertips. There were times he grieved or raged, but he never doubted he'd made the right choice in serving his country and defending her.

He wanted that for his Sam. He wanted her to experience that surge of freedom at abandoning earth, even as g-forces press her solidly against the seat of her craft. He longed for her to share that awed wonder that left a pilot both exalted and humbled, and he'd never been prouder when she followed him into the Air Force, even if he never quite told her. So if he could pull a couple of strings to get her into the ultimate flight program... Well, what was the harm in that?

He felt more than anger and frustration when she turned down his offer to get her into NASA; her rejection was nothing less than absolute betrayal. He wasn't above trying a little manipulation, but even that didn't convinced her to leave her "deep space telemetry" and follow her father into the splendor of the skies.

Then George Hammond turned up in his hospital room with his little girl, and they presented him with a chance for a new lease on life - even if it did come with a rather unusual tenant written into the contract. Surprise at the sudden reversal of Sam offering him a chance at fresh wonders didn't stop him from seizing the opportunity with both hands.

He was Tok'ra now, with a symbiote parked comfortably against his spine, and that first tumultuous journey through the Stargate had been only the beginning. He watched tunnels form themselves of crystal, stepped from one planet to the other in the space of an eye blink, and used weapons and devices that should have left him gasping with disbelief. It felt like cheating, sometimes, to find himself manipulating crystals on a console and recognize that such unthinking skill had been suddenly hardwired into his brain through no effort of his own. But the voice he carried in the back of his head could bicker and tease and comfort and question in turns, and it surprised him, when he stopped to think about it, how natural Selmac felt to him.

Still, even with all his new experiences, despite the wonders of a thousand different planets and races, he missed stick time. Stargates might be faster, but the thrill just wasn't the same. He knew it was ridiculous to feel earthbound when he stood no alien soil, but he couldn't help it. A flyboy to the bone, he supposed. Even Selmac couldn't change that.

He was fingering a crystal and thinking about the past when Selmac absorbed his wistful emotions and offered images of some of the craft used in the worlds beyond Earth. The hatak and the udajeet intrigued Jacob as Selmac described the massive Goa'uld motherships and their deadly little fighters.

Do the Tok'ra possess such ships? Jacob asked.

No, they do not, Selmac replied. We have never managed to gain a hatak, and the udajeet isn't a true long-range craft that can be sustained without mothership support. We have also recently learned of a new paranoia of the System Lords that renders even the capture of a single craft too dangerous to consider.

Jacob mulled this over, stifling a surge of regret. The udajeet didn't exactly have a CDP to master, but Selmac's memories of flying one in a previous host sounded remarkably similar to his own experiences with various fighter craft back on Earth. Too bad he wouldn't have the chance to try out one of those babies himself.

On the other hand... Selmac let the words linger coyly in Jacob's brain.

Yes?

The Tok'ra do have a few tel'tak and al'kesh - scout ships and mid-range bombers, I think you would call them. They are not quite as small and maneuverable as the udajeet, but you would enjoy piloting them.


Jacob blinked at the images that blossomed in his mind, the knowledge and expertise to fly the ships suddenly there. It was true, as Selmac said, that the tel'tak didn't seem quite as tempting as the two-man udajeet. The larger al'kesh was even less similar, despite its fighting capabilities. But both required careful piloting, and were superbly maneuverable and hyperspace capable....

Hmmmm.

There has been talk of a possible stealth mission to prevent a minor Goa'uld from establishing a beachhead on a planet only a day's travel from Earth, Selmac mentioned. Perhaps we might claim the mission ourselves, after our scheduled investigation of Sokar's movements.

I think I'd like that, Jacob said. Then, Thank you.

And for just a moment, he gripped the crystal in his hands like a joystick, and remembered what it felt like to fly.
C is for Coffee by Fig Newton
Author's Notes:
"You gave up coffee for your symbiote?" Jacob brings his first real taste of Earth back to Vorash. Set in late S2, right after Show and Tell.
Jacob swirled the cup with a forlorn air, breathing in the rich, heavy aroma that curled tantalizingly upwards.

But I like coffee, he thought plaintively, suspecting that the words would have a distinct whine if he said them aloud.

You like the effects of caffeine, corrected the dry voice in his head.

No, Jacob said, setting the cup on the crystalline table in his quarters. I like the taste. I like the smell. I like coffee.

The aroma is most pleasing, Selmac conceded. The taste, however, is not.

They're my taste buds, Jacob complained.

Which I now share with you, Jacob.

Five months of being a Tok'ra with no access to coffee. After all, he hadn't come through the Stargate with any personal supplies outside the BDUs they gave him in place of his hospital scrubs. As an unabashed coffee addict, he'd been vaguely surprised when he didn't suffer any withdrawal symptoms in his first days offword. Still, he supposed that a symbiote capable of curing cancer and fixing arthritic knees would have little trouble tweaking his seratonin levels and adjusting his neurotransmitters to avoid caffeine-induced crankiness.

Then that business with the Reetou brought him to Earth again, and George pressed the small, precious package of freshly-ground beans into his hands right before he returned to the Tok'ra base. There weren't any coffemakers on Vorash, of course, but Jacob had little trouble rigging a steam-driven espresso machine with the crystal from a broken ribbon device, a zat, and some creative manipulation of Tok'ra crystal technology.

Coffee.

Selmac was amused at the way Jacob turned that first brewed cup into a ritual, carrying it to the table with an almost reverential air. He spent several moments with his eyes closed in concentration, fingers curled around the cup's warmth, inhaling the strong, heavy scent with deep anticipation. Then he picked up the cup, raised it to George and Sam and the rest of her team in silent salute, and took that first appreciative sip.

But as the bitter brew caressed his taste buds, Selmac's reaction was swift, violent, and absolute: the symbiote hated it.

Jacob nearly choked as he swallowed. He couldn't believe it. He'd eaten all sorts of alien food and drink since he'd become Selmac's host with barely a quiver, and now he was getting a bad reaction to coffee?

I am sorry, Selmac murmured in his mind. I do not wish to deprive you of what is clearly a great pleasure for you, Jacob. But there is something about coffee that I truly dislike.

It's not the caffeine, is it?

Of course not. I can stimulate the same endorphins in your body without the need for you to ingest caffeine. It is the taste, Jacob.

Jacob stared at the barely-touched coffee cup. Maybe you just need to get used to it, he thought hopefully.

Perhaps. The noncommittal answer held little enthusiasm.

Jacob took a second, more tentative sip, trying to project his enjoyment of the taste and all the pleasant memories it evoked. But he could still sense the uneasy prickle in the back of his mind as Selmac actually cringed at the sensation.

Is it really so awful for you? Jacob wondered.

I am afraid so.

How could he enjoy coffee when every sip would make Selmac miserable?

He glanced wistfully at the open bag of ground beans lying next to his makeshift espresso machine. It had been so considerate of George to think of coffee....

And now, Jacob knew, he would never be able to drink it again.

He sighed, giving the coffee cup a last, longing look. I'm going to be impossibly grumpy, he warned Selmac.

Laughter echoed in his brain. That's all right, Jacob, Selmac snorted. You already are.
A is for Aspect by Fig Newton
Author's Notes:
For Vala Alphabet Soup. The Goa'uld might be snaky symbiotes, but it's the hosts' faces that Vala has always hated. Includes spoilers through Continuum.
Vala knows that the Goa'uld are slimy snakes that burrow their way into human bodies and claim their victims' faces as their own. After all, she spent too many years with a symbiote riding her spine, ruthlessly using her body for its own purposes and pleasures. But for all her bitter, intimate knowledge that the Goa'uld isn't the face of the host, she can't help making the association. Even for herself -- for long years after the Tok'ra removed Qetesh, she couldn't look at her reflection without flinching away from the anticipated flash of her eyes.

So when she thinks of Qetesh and Ba'al and Apophis and Ra, she doesn't picture a snake-like creature; she sees the faces of the humans who were forced to host them, and she hates them. She hates the ageless child with the arrogant nose who ruled the System Lords for millennia. She can't stand the golden skin and smooth features and rich voice of Apophis. She despises the dark glint in Ba'al's eyes, the gestures he makes with his hands, and the way the corner of his mouth curls when he smiles. And yes, she knows that in many ways, she still hates herself as the puppet Qetesh used as the tool for her atrocities.

So it is a shock to Vala when she wanders restlessly around Daniel's office, fingering his papers and artifacts and absentmindedly cataloging their value, and she sees a framed picture of Amaunet hanging on the wall. The clothes are too simple and the expression too pleasant, but that face cannot be mistaken.

The Tau'ri think she has no self-control, so it's easy to school her features and hide her initial reaction. She's shrewd enough not to ask Daniel any questions, as the only answer he's likely to give is another demand that she remove the bracelets that tether them to such close quarters. Instead, she tosses out some innuendo, gives him her most infuriating smile when he explodes, and pretends reluctance when he orders the handsome young thing that guards the door to take her as far away as possible without risking their joint collapse.

Tau'ri computers are nothing like the Goa'uld systems she knows so well. Still, Vala has been using what this stolid planet considers to be outrageous behavior as a distraction for a long time now. They don't seem to recognize how much she can absorb just by surreptitiously watching keystrokes and listening to muttered imprecations. She allows herself a broad smile as she seats herself at the computer in the deserted office and easily breaks the codes that allow her to search through personnel files.

The smile disappears, though, when she opens Daniel's file and learns why that picture of Amaunet is displayed in his office. The shock isn't the discovery that he was once married, or that he lost his wife to the Goa'uld; it's the recognition that the face she hates -- the long glossy hair, the haughty tilt of the chin, the sweep of her eyebrows -- all of it, everything that makes up the composite she labels Amaunet, is actually Sha're of Abydos, a woman with her own personality and sense of self before the Goa'uld took it away.

Vala closes her eyes and accepts that she's probably known it, on some intellectual level, all along. It's a kind of lazy mental shorthand, she supposes, that she allows herself to hate the hosts' faces. And maybe it hasn't really mattered until now. But that picture changes things, and while the Tau'ri might laugh at the idea, Vala is usually pretty honest with herself.

She never mentions anything about Amaunet to Daniel. Later, after she takes her second, longer trip to another galaxy and the Ori fashion their mouthpiece from her own flesh, she's quietly moved when he actually volunteers information about Sha're when they think Adria has died. By then, she's already starting to work on her resolve, and hearing Daniel speak of his wife makes it easier to see the person behind the facade.

It's difficult to make that shift in perception, but slowly, painfully, she learns to focus her hate for the Goa'uld beyond the faces they steal for their own purposes. She gets more practice than she really wants, especially when Athena straps her down and strips her of memory. It's a difficult process, and she wishes she could just forget the whole thing and go back to the easy way of thinking.

But when the Ori are gone, and Adria is... permanently elsewhere, and the Tok'ra summon SG-1 to witness Ba'al's final execution, Vala finds it surprisingly easy to ignore the face that Ba'al has worn all those millennia and focus on the innocent host instead.

"I think I might stay a while and help him through this."

"Yeah," Daniel says calmly. "I thought you might."

There's a wealth of understanding in those few words, and she carries that comfort with her as she moves toward the trembling figure. She doesn't think he'll survive for more than a few hours, a day or two at most -- as Daniel said, the man suffered as Ba'al's host for too long. But for herself, for Sha're of Abydos, and for every other human being that the Goa'uld have claimed as their own... Vala is ready to look upon that face without a snake behind it, and give him the grace of his sense of self for as long as he might yet live.
X is for X-Files by Fig Newton
Author's Notes:
Written for Jonas Alphabet Soup. Sam learns that Jonas doesn't quite understand television programming. Includes minor spoilers for Nightwalkers.
During those first three months when Jonas was confined to the mountain, he spent most of his time voraciously absorbing history and culture. For the most part, his preferred tools were journals and textbooks. But Sam suspected that Teal'c was directing his television viewing when Jonas asked her why the government allowed Wormhole X-treme! to reveal so many secrets of the Stargate program, and why most of the details were wrong.

"It's just a TV show, Jonas," she explained, stifling her amusement at the innocent question.

He blinked at her. "I don't understand."

"It's fiction," she clarified. "Based on the SGC, yes, and that's a long story in itself, but it's true only in the vaguest..." She stopped and studied his puzzled expression. "Fiction. Made-up stories? Didn't you have those on Kelowna?"

"Well, yes," Jonas said slowly. "Morality tales told to children. Values taught through parables." He hesitated for a moment, then shook his head. "I'm sorry, Major Carter. I guess I'm missing a cultural perception here, but I don't see what lesson children are supposed to learn from --"

"No, it's not like that at all. It's not supposed to teach a lesson. It's just supposed to entertain."

"But it's shown as real!" Now Jonas seemed genuinely shocked. "Surely the government doesn't allow the presentation of lies here on Earth?"

Now it was Sam's turn to blink. "Most governments do lie, Jonas. And anyway, it's not something that's 'allowed' -- it's not government programming, you know. It's just for fun."

"So all the programs I've been watching are untrue?"

"Not all of them." Sam gave an inward sigh as she wished, not for the first time, that there was someone else to explain Earth culture and norms to Jonas. She also tried not to think about who she wanted that someone to be.

"So how can I know...?"

"The news reports are true -- more or less, anyway. There's always some bias involved in reporting. CNN is mostly okay. ESPN and C-SPAN air the real thing, even if you wouldn't necessarily agree with the commentary. Documentaries include real footage, although again, there's always the question of interpretation." Jonas was nodding eagerly as she spoke, mentally cataloging her list. "And the Weather Channel is definitely true," she added with a smile, "even if the weather doesn't always cooperate."

"But most dramatic or comedic presentations are only stories?"

"That's right." Sam eyed him, wondering what the Kelownan would identify as drama or comedy. There was no guarantee his definitions would fit her own.

"That's good. That's really good." He scrubbed at his hair, looking unaccountably relieved.

"Was there something you saw that concerned you when you thought it was real?" she asked gently.

Jonas shuffled his feet a little, then confessed in a small voice, "I was greatly disturbed to see what I thought was proof that the Tau'ri government was as corrupt as Kelowna's. I trusted you -- you, and Colonel O'Neill, and Teal'c, and... and Doctor Jackson. And when I met General Hammond, I felt that trust had been justified. I believed that the Tau'ri could be trusted with the naquadriah when my own people could not. And then I watched a program that said that the government here couldn't be trusted not to abuse its own people, much less act honorably towards other nations and planets." He offered a smile. "I'm really glad it's all untrue, Major Carter."

Understanding dawned. "You were watching The X-Files, weren't you?" Sam couldn't keep the incredulous grin off her face.

Jonas nodded. "I was also disturbed by the Asgard abuse of your people, but if it's all a lie, as you say..."

Sam laughed. "I'm not going to deny that there are people who believe in huge government conspiracies, Jonas. The show wouldn't be so popular if the concept didn't resonate. But believe me when I say that if 'the truth is out there,' it's definitely not on The X-Files."

Jonas smiled, and the subject changed to Star Trek and the realities of space exploration on Earth.

Months later, after the harrowing events in Oregon, Sam caught Jonas looking at her with a speculative expression. Even she had to admit that the NID's behavior, the callous disregard for the safety of the people of Steveston, could have featured on a typical X-Files episode. But Jonas never brought up the subject, and Sam decided to leave it at that.

Still, when she woke up from the first nightmare of being invaded by a Goa'uld again, she took her X-Files DVDs and stuffed them in the bottom of a box at the back of her closet.
D is for Duct Tape by Fig Newton
Author's Notes:
Written for Team Alphabet Soup. All fluff, no spoilers.
SG-1 was seated at a table in the commissary when Teal'c produced a roll of duct tape and solemnly pronounced its simple versatility to be one of the Tau'ri's greatest technological triumphs.

Jack spluttered a mouthful of coffee across the table, leaving Daniel blinking indignantly behind spattered glasses and Sam hiding a smile behind a diplomatic hand. "It can't be better than cable," Jack protested as he absently handed Daniel a napkin.

Teal'c was unmoved. "Cable television is a luxury, O'Neill."

"Well, yeah. That's my point!"

Teal'c raised a meaningful eyebrow which clearly stated that Jack was only pretending not to understand what he meant. Jack pointed a menacing finger back at him, daring him to say that out loud. Daniel finished wiping his glasses and nudged Sam, who tipped her head down to hide the broadening grin and muttered under her breath, "Yes, I know."

"I'm not saying duct tape isn't useful," Jack sighed finally, caving into the Eyebrow of Doom. "I've used it often enough. I'm just saying that it's somewhere on my list after air conditioning. And The Simpsons."

"Duct tape should be part of our regular supplies," Teal'c said firmly. "I believe it would be most useful on missions."

"Oh, Jack thinks so, too," Daniel interrupted, his voice bright with false innocence. "That's why he always carries a flattened roll of duct tape in a pocket of his vest."

Jack gave Daniel his patented I-am-Colonel-tremble-before-me glare. Daniel's sweet smile only grew wider as he cupped his chin in one hand. This time, it was Teal'c and Sam who exchanged raised brows and wry looks.

"I think it's actually very appropriate to take duct tape with us on missions through the Gate," Sam announced, her voice a little louder than necessary. When Jack and Daniel broke their ongoing staring contest to look at her inquiringly, she continued in a normal tone that grew more animated as she expounded. "I mean, think about it. Stargate Command marries the military with the scientific. Duct tape was first invented back in 1942 for military usage, and NASA has found it tremendously useful in space -- think of how it saved the day in 1970, when they used it on Apollo 13 to modify the CO2 scrubbers..."

Teal'c listened with grave courtesy as Sam happily detailed the many ways in which duct tape merged her two fields together. Daniel gestured wildly as he analyzed the etymology of the term, explaining duct versus duck and other common names. Jack rolled his eyes repeatedly and pretended to ignore the entire conversation, swiping Sam's untouched cup of coffee and Daniel's pie.

Two days later, though, he introduced Teal'c to the wonders of MacGyver.
L is for L-Space by Fig Newton
Author's Notes:
For Crossover Alphabet Soup. Daniel takes a wrong turn in an off-world library and strays through L-Space to Unseen University on Discowrld.
Daniel ran reverent fingers along the the shelf of scrolls, each rolled tightly in its own niche. The library here on P2X-518 was bigger than any other he'd seen off-world. He'd found parchment scrolls, wax and stone tablets, massive leather-bound volumes with metal clasps, modern books bound in a slick, plastic-like material, and even a few Goa'uld tablets with automatic page-turners. Happily, Sam's meeting with this planet's scientists to discuss their intriguing research in perturbative quantum field theory promised to keep her busy for hours. Jack had grudgingly allowed Daniel to spend the time browsing until it was time to leave.

As he turned into the next aisle, he saw the head librarian, a short woman with intelligent eyes peering out of a wizened face. She wore the same quasi-uniform that most people on the planet seemed to prefer, but oddly enough, her feet were encased in the local equivalent of carpet slippers. She had just finished easing a heavy volume back onto its shelf, but now she turned to Daniel with a pleasant smile.

"Did you want something specific, honored patron?"

Daniel considered this. "I know your planet has had dealings with the Goa'uld in the past. Do you have any reference works that describe that era?" That should make Jack happy, anyway.

The librarian rolled her eyes ceiling-ward, finger tapping on her chin as she considered. "Yes, honored patron, we do. One moment, and I'll retrieve them for you."

"Oh, I can get them myself," Daniel assured her. He enjoyed wandering past the different aisles; looking for the books would be part of the fun. "If you could just direct me to the right shelf...?"

She looked a little dubious, but gave him rapid directions to a section of the library. He repeated them aloud, thanked her, and headed off.

Daniel tried not to get too sidetracked as he passed by enticing shelves of massive tomes and tiny pamphlets. The white noise of heavy silence reduced itself to a vague hiss after a while, although he sometimes thought he could hear the faint sound of rustling and scratching somewhere in the distance. He stopped at one point to listen to something that sounded very much like an irritated rattle, but when it didn't repeat itself, he continued on his way.

After nearly ten minutes of walking, Daniel began to feel a little concerned. Surely the building wasn't this large, was it? Perhaps he ought to go back and ask the librarian to help him after all.

When he stopped and turned around, though, he stared. The library appeared to have changed. Instead of slightly threadbare carpet, the floor had somehow morphed into gleaming marble, shot with red and yellow veins. The shelves were suddenly towering high over his head, the heavy books firmly chained into place. How could this be? He broke into a run, anxious to find his way back to the library entrance.

But when he rounded the corner, he skidded to a halt and gaped.

A large, red-haired ape was balanced high on a shelf, thoughtfully eating a bag of peanuts as it ran a leathery finger along the parchment it was clearly reading. It looked down at Daniel with a polite, inquiring expression, although Daniel was not quite sure how he could tell.

For long moments, man and ape stared at one another. Finally, Daniel said, "If you're a Furling, Jack is never going to let me live this down."

"Ook," the creature replied sympathetically.

***

He'd been worried about trying to explain the odd turn of events to the natives, but it had turned out to be easier than he'd expected. As soon as he mentioned that his friend had been studying quantum field theory, the frowning expressions turned from hostile doubt to airy dismissal.

"Oh, quantum." Arch-Chancellor Ridcully waved a hand. "That explains it. You should have said."

Oddly enough, despite the pointy hats and long robes, Daniel felt at home in Unseen University. The squabbling, petty sniping, and rambling irrelevancies took him right back to his days in academia. Wizards or professors didn't really make much difference, although this preoccupation with magic was rather...

Daniel bit his tongue to stop himself from quoting Arthur C. Clarke. He was used to human slaves mistaking Goa'uld technology for magic, but the emphasis was clearly different here. And since he had just seen Ridcully idly conjure a fireball and hurl it at the Senior Wrangler in order to shut him up, he wasn't really sure it would be safe to challenge the concept. Besides, the Librarian of this university was an orangutan. (Not a monkey, he'd been quietly advised by no less than three of the wizards.) Considering that Daniel suddenly found himself oddly capable of understanding a language that seemed to consist entirely of Ook, he felt that it might be best not to argue.

The most practical wizard seemed to be the youngest faculty member, a thin-faced, bespectacled fellow with a very earnest stare. If anyone here was actually going to help Daniel get back home, it would probably involve Ponder Stibbons and something he called Hex. Daniel was sorry he couldn't somehow introduce Ponder to Sam; the two of them would either get along splendidly or blow up random planets... or possibly both.

When it became apparent that it would take Ponder some time to find a solution to the problem, the wizards invited Daniel to lunch.

"Feeling a mite peckish," the Dean confessed. "Been almost an hour since our last meal, dontcha know."

Daniel eyed the Dean's massive form, built along the same lines as the rest of the faculty. He was used to sampling native cuisine, of course. Now, though, he thought of the apparent reality of magic on this planet and wondered if he should take the common myths of consuming fairy food in enchanted lands a little more seriously than usual.

"I have my own food, thank you," he said politely, although he supposed that the wizards wouldn't consider ration bars to be more than a minor snack. "Perhaps just a glass of water?"

"Certainly!"

What they brought him was... wet. Daniel could say that much with certainty, even if he couldn't say anything else. It did slosh a bit when he cautiously tipped the glass, although some of it clung to the side. He eyed it carefully, wondering if he was imagining that some of it was trying to climb over the rim.

"I, ah, have these tablets I need to add to my drinking water," he murmured diplomatically. "A sort of.. vitamin. For my health." Under the circumstances, it wasn't even a lie.

"Vitamins," Ridcully nodded wisely. "Smart chap."

Daniel fished a water purification tablet out of his vest pocket and dropped it into the glass.

It went gloop.

Then it exploded.

When the excitement was over and the last bits of glass had been cleared away, the Chair of Indefinite Studies kindly offered a handkerchief to dab at the shallow cuts on Daniel's hand. He didn't seem to mind that Daniel preferred his own sterile bandages, with that particular emphasis on sterile.

The sun was slanting toward evening (or the Rim, as the Dean had casually mentioned, and Daniel had very deliberately decided not to ask) when Ponder returned, looking a little embarrassed.

"I'm sorry, Doctor Jackson," he apologized, "but Hex says that the Librarian is the only one who can get you back home. I was hoping we could try a little directional magic, but there's too much quantum involved to risk it."

"I... see," said Daniel, who didn't. He turned to the Librarian, who had largely ignored the proceedings. "Librarian, can you help me find my way back to where I came from?"

The Librarian gave an elaborate shrug. With his shoulders, it seemed to be the only shrug he knew how to make. "Ook," he replied.

"Oh, good," Daniel sighed. "Thank you. Ah... No time like the present?"

The Librarian nodded and took Daniel by the hand. It felt like a very soft, very old glove.

"Goodbye, then," Daniel said over his shoulder as the Librarian led him deeper into the stacks. "It was very nice to meet you."

The wizards were already arguing about something else and barely gave him a distracted wave.

As the Librarian guided him through dim aisles lined with angrily-rattling grimoires, Daniel said, "You could've taken me home anytime, couldn't you? But you had to go along with them and wait until they admitted it themselves."

The orangutan curled his lip back from impressive yellow teeth in a disdainful smile.

"I've had to deal with faculty members like that myself in the past. Some of my current colleagues can be a little blind about the important things, too. How do you manage to cope so well?"

The Librarian rolled his eyes. "Ook," he said emphatically.

Daniel considered this. "Huh. Good point."

Things got a little blurred for a while, but the Librarian finally stopped and pointed to a branching aisle. Daniel peered ahead and smiled. Faded carpet, cherry-red wooden shelving. Yes, that looked right.

"Thank you," he said warmly, shaking the Librarian's hand.

"Ook," the ape returned, and pressed a small token into Daniel's hand before swinging away.

Daniel looked down at the parting gift. It was a slightly overripe banana.

He walked back into the library on P2X-518. After half a dozen steps, he glanced back. He was unsurprised to see that only regular shelves stretched behind him, with no sign of any mysterious kinks in space to lead him to another world.

He reached the end of the aisle and found himself near the reference desk. Jack was there, talking to the head librarian and looking irritated. Daniel glanced at his watch and saw that he'd been gone for just over four hours.

"There you are!" Jack exclaimed, catching sight of him. "Carter finished that meeting half an hour ago. Where were you?"

Daniel licked his lips and mentally cataloged all the possible answers, trying to ignore the librarian's faintly knowing smile.

"I got a little lost among the shelves," he said finally, hoping that Jack wouldn't question the banana.

It was technically true, anyway.
This story archived at http://sg1-heliopolis.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=4398