Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Shade: Part 1

by Gene Este
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Shade, Part One

Shade, Part One

by Gene Este

TITLE: Shade, Part One
AUTHOR: Gene Este
EMAIL: t_girl21@go.com
CATEGORY: Action/Adventure, Drama, Angst, S/J Romance
SPOILERS: None That I Know Of
SEASON / SEQUEL: Season 4
RATING: PG-13
CONTENT WARNINGS: Violence, mild torture, language, male/female relationship
SUMMARY: Sam is captured by the Goauld and imprisoned, where she meets a mysterious man; The SGC tries desperately to find her...
STATUS: Incomplete
ARCHIVE: Heliopolis
DISCLAIMER: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. We have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the authors. Not to be archived without permission of the authors.
AUTHOR'S NOTES: Thanks to all my friends at Fanfiction.net. Dedicated to my friend Sherri for letting me hijack her TV to watch the show and for letting me vent my writers' block on her. Please give me feedback (no flames please)! Thanks All!

Major Samantha Carter looked around herself, wondering how it had ended up like this. It was only supposed to be a routine recon mission. Colonel O'Neill, Teal'c, and Daniel were all on vacation, so she had taken over SG-11. When they had gotten through the gate, the Goauld had been waiting for them. Driven into the woods and finally into a rocky clearing, her team had been picked off, one by one by the now approaching Jaffa. It was only supposed to be a routine mission, she thought again, as she looked around at her fallen team, not knowing whether they were dead or alive, and not being able to find out without giving away her position. She would do no good to her team dead. She herself had a wound on her forehead, the blood running from it into her eyes and down her cheek. No, she thought, I need to get back to the stargate, send through a message for help. It didn't matter about her, but she cared too much for this team to let them die. She picked herself up off the ground where she had been laying, determined to at least to get back to the stargate. But as soon as she had gotten up, a zat blast from an unknown source hit her leg, making her fall hard onto the ground. Must have been using the invisibility technology, she figured, just before a jaffa knocked her unconscious.

Three Hours Later

"Unscheduled Off-world activation." Klaxons blared as Colonel Jack O'Neill, having just gotten in from vacation, ran to the control room. "Tok'ra signal confirmed, sir," Simmons said to General Hammond, who had arrived before the Colonel. With a nod he said, "Open the iris," and motioned to Jack to go with him to the gateroom to greet their guests.

It was only Jacob who came through however, with an almost sorrowful look on his face. "George, Colonel," he said, looking at both. "We need to talk."

With Teal'c and Daniel having joined them in the briefing room, Selmak took over, relating the reason he had come. "About half an hour ago, we received a transmission from one of our Tok'ra operatives in a Goauld prison camp. The operative told us that after a battle with Apophis's guard, Samantha was taken there. She was the only one they captured."

Stunned, and obviously troubled, Daniel looked at Jacob, "Did you receive any other information? Was she injured?"

Jacob, now in control again, shook his head. "The transmission was short. It only gave the time and whom he saw. But I seriously doubt that Sam would have gone without a fight."

Jack spoke up, after being unusually quiet. "We need to get a team together, sir, go after them."

General Hammond shook his head, "First things first, Colonel. We need to go to

P4X-365 and recover the rest of the team. Then we'll devise a plan to go get Major Carter. Jacob, what do you know about this prison camp?"

Jack stood in the middle of the aftermath of the battle, and for the hundredth time that day, cursed the goauld.

"Colonel O'Neill." At the call of his name, he turned to find Dr. Frasier kneeling beside soldier who was sitting against a rock. She motioned to him.

"Yes?" he said, going over to stand next to her. "Lt. Sanders here was hit by a staff weapon, he's been out for a while, but he's able to talk. He has quite a story to tell, sir."

The young soldier looked at the Doctor briefly, then Jack, and started to talk. "Well, sir, when we came through the gate, it was like the jaffa were waiting for us. I mean, they looked like they were just standing around until we got there. When Major Carter saw them, she ordered us to take cover, but they were already firing their staff weapons at us. Jacobs went down first. Then Easton. The Major ordered me and Grey to get the guys, then retreat. So we did, into the woods. We held up for a while, but we were outnumbered, and they just kept coming, so we kept retreating. There was nothing else for us to do." The soldier had a faraway look in his eyes, as if he were reliving it. "We finally got into this clearing, and one of the Jaffa took out Grey. I took cover behind this rock, but when I came back up to take a shot they were all gone. It was like they had disappeared. I could see Major Carter from here, but I don't think she could see me. She must've fell on the way here, because she had a cut on her forehead, and it was bleeding pretty badly. She stayed where she was for awhile, but when she saw that there were no jaffa, she got up and headed back to the stargate, the way we came. Then a staff blast came out of nowhere; hit her in the back of the leg. It looked fairly bad. Then a jaffa- Oh, I don't know- decloaked, I guess you could say, went over and knocked her out with the bunt of his staff weapon. I stood up to shoot them, but I guess another one decloaked behind me and shot me, because that's the last thing I remember," he said, coming back to the present.

"Thank you, Lieutenant," Jack said, and bothered by something, he turned to Frasier. "Are all the men accounted for?"

"Yes sir," she replied.

Frustrated, he looked around. "Why the hell would they just leave you here, alive? Why didn't they want you for hosts? Or at least information?"

"That's what we want to know," Daniel said as he and Teal'c joined them, having talked to the other soldiers.

"Permission to speak freely, sir?" asked Sanders. With Jack's nod, he continued, "That's just it, sir. They didn't want us. The only person they wanted was Major Carter. And now they have her."

"My only question is, why her? Why not any of the others?" Jack asked, again to no one in particular. They were back at the SGC in the briefing room, with everyone, minus Jacob, who had gone back to the Tok'ra council to get more information on the prison camp, once again gathered around the conference table.

"Think about it, Jack," said Daniel, annoyed. "She has Jolinar's memories. That alone is really good reason for the Goauld to want to capture her. She also has almost unlimited information about the SGC and Earth, and I don't need to remind anyone how valuable that information is to Apophis."

"I know that, Daniel. Besides, that's not what I meant. I meant that since Jolinar died, the other team members know just about as much as she does about the Tok'ra. And there's really nothing that Carter could tell them about the SGC or Earth that the team couldn't tell them. So I ask again. Why take only her?"

He looked around the room General Hammond, Teal'c, and finally Daniel, trying to find answers. He found none.

"I've seen to it that all the SG team access codes have been changed, and that no one goes through the gate until we get Major Carter back. We cannot risk this happening again, whatever the reason it did." Said the General, breaking the silence.

"So what do we do now?" Daniel asked, fearing the answer.

"Now we wait for Jacob."

Sam woke up in a dark, damp cell. She didn't know which hurt the most, her head or leg. Scratch that, she thought, Leg definitely hurts more. Moaning, she pulled herself up into a sitting position and looked around. She couldn't see her surroundings, which ruled out surveying for escape routes. She noticed that all her gear was gone, including her GDO. Damn. She closed her eyes. I hope someone had the good sense to change the access codes.

"Hello? Are you alright?" an unfamiliar voice called from close to her.

"Who's there?" she asked, weary.

"It's alright. I won't hurt you. Is it alright if I sit beside you?" he asked, his voice strangely kind. She'd never heard a voice like his before, and for some reason she felt like she could trust him because of it.

"Alright." She tried to move over, and gasped at the pain it caused her. But suddenly she felt a rough hand on her forehead, a strange coolness inside her head, and then no pain at all. And as suddenly as the hand had come, it was gone.

"Is the pain gone now?" the man asked.

"Yes. What the hell was that?" she asked, amazed.

"It's a...talent, you might say, that my people have. The wound is still there, but you will feel no pain from it, at least for a while."

"Thank you, very much. How does it work?"

"Let's just say I gave the pain portion of your brain a block from your wounds. The pain signals can't make to that part of the brain. I'd explain it in more detail, but I get the feeling that you're not up for it right now."

Smiling, she nodded. "I think you're probably right. How long have you been here?"

"Too long."

Taking the hint, she decided to end that line of questioning. "How long have I been here?"

"Several hours, I think. Your never too sure about the time around here."

Nodding, then realizing that he couldn't see her, "I can imagine."

"What is your name?"

"My name is Major Samantha Carter. And you?"

"I have several names. But my friends and my people call me Shade."

"Nice to meet you. Do you happen to know where we are?" she asked, vaguely reminding herself of Colonel O'Neill.

"Unfortunately, no. The goauld are extremely secretive when it comes to this place. There are many resourceful people here, and they are afraid that if anyone were to know anything about this place, prisoners would escape."

"They would probably be right." If only I knew something about this place...anything.

"It is no use Samantha. They will tell you nothing, and you will find out nothing on your own."

"How did you know...you're telepathic?!" she asked, fairly surprised.

"Yes. But I can only hear your thoughts if you trust me and allow me to. It is a rule among my people."

"So I guess I trust you then?"

"You must, if I could hear your thoughts."

She sighed. I wonder if he can hear everything...

"Yes, but again, only if you allow me to."

She smiled to herself. Then a thought suddenly occurred to her. "Can you hear a goauld's thoughts? Do they allow you to?"

"They don't know I have this ability. They would have to know I could here their thoughts before they could let me. Even if they did, however, because of the mental discipline of the parasite, I would be unable to anyway."

Damn. That would have been very useful. Sighing, she laid her head back on the wall.

All of a sudden, a door she hadn't even known was there opened. She squinted at the light, her unaccustomed eyes hurting from it.

"Tauri, you will come with us. Now." Said one of the two Jaffa standing there.

Shade's voice sounded in her head, it will be better for you if you do not resist. Tell them what they ask, do not hold back. It will be better for you.

Surprised, all she could do was nod before she was dragged out of the dark cell.

One Hour Later

"Ok, listen up." Jack said, to get the attention of SG-1 and SG-3. Seeing that the gateroom was quiet and that all eyes were on him, he continued.

"From what the Tok'ra has told us, the prison camp on P2X-485 is highly guarded. The plan is to get in, get Major Carter, and get out. We will not engage the goauld unless we absolutely have to. We don't want anyone to know we're there, so cover your tracks, is that clear?" after getting a chorus of "Yes Sirs" and nods from Teal'c, Daniel and Jacob, "Good. SG-3, you take point. Everyone, watch your sixes." With that, they went through the gate.

"There's nothing here!" Angry, Jack let out a long stream of curses and looked around at the barren countryside. He turned to Jacob.

"Jacob, no offense, but just what the hell is going on?"

Jacob shook his head, bewildered. "Based on the Tok'ra Intel, it should be here. Dammit!"

"Is it at all possible that your Tok'ra operative, isn't Tokra?"

"Ah, Hell." Jacob said, sighed and closed his eyes in frustration.

"Jacob, are you telling me that this was a hoax?" asked George, disbelief on his face.

Jacob nodded. "Yes. I think it's safe to say that our operative was found out by Apophis and killed. The goauld are responsible for the misinformation. They did this to show their superiority. They could have left us grasping for straws." He got up out his chair, too angry to sit. When he finally talked again, it was quiet and laced with fury. "They wanted us to know that we wouldn't find her. They rubbed our goddamn noses in it."

George leaned back in his chair, but didn't speak.

Jacob spoke again, this time anger was replaced with something else. Something far more menacing. Grief, of a daughter he was afraid he would not find alive.

"I..." Jacob bowed his head, letting Selmak take over, unable to continue. The grief and sadness, however, was mirrored in Selmak's words. "I suggest, George, that you modify anything that Samantha would have known. Codes, computer programs, procedures..."

Daniel stared. "Wait a second! What exactly are you saying?"

Selmak stared back, his glare intense. "The goauld are ruthless, Dr. Jackson. This you know. I do not have to remind you of the torture that all of you went through when we were in Sokar's possession. Apophis's methods of acquiring information are much worse. Especially if she holds back the information he seeks," he looks at George, "That is why I am asking you to change any of her knowledge that pertains to the SGC. I am hoping that she will know this, and tell them what they want. She may survive long enough for us to find her." Jacob regained control. "Please, George. I know this is a lot to ask."

"Jacob, you're right. It is a lot to ask. But I'll do it."

Same Time

Sam screamed again from the hand device that was being used on her. After they took her from the cell that she shared with Shade, she was led down a dark hallway into a room. There she was restrained in chains that came down from the ceiling, which left her just able to touch the floor with her feet. But she had no more energy to hold herself upright, and relied heavily on the chains.

"What are the weaknesses of the iris that protects the Chaapa'aii?" asked one of the Jaffa, after he was finished with the hand device.

"I don't know." She panted, and almost immediately she felt the pain from the device again.

"I don't know!" she screamed again, close to sobbing. Oh god...just let me pass out...

No Samantha, Shade answered, if you do that, you may never wake up.

Shade?

Yes, Samantha, I'm here.

Am I crazy? Is this even possible?

Yes. Do you not remember before, in the cell?

I was sure I had imagined it...

No. I told you to tell them everything. Why haven't you heeded my advice?

Because I can't. My people would be in danger...

Thinking that Sam had been ignoring their questions, the angered Jaffa heightened the intensity of the hand device, shooting pain through her that was infinitely worse than before.

Oh god...

Hold on Samantha, urged Shade, it will be over soon. Should I tell you about where I come from?

Now? Please. Maybe it will take my mind off this...

I hope so. I live on a beautiful world...

Oh god...

Samantha, concentrate on me.

I can't. This hurts...

I know. Concentrate on what I'm saying. Do you understand? It will be over soon...

Ok, Ok. I'm trying. What were you saying?

I live on a beautiful world with waterfalls and hills that go on forever...

After what had seen like hours, with Sam talking mind-to-mind with Shade during her torture, the Jaffa finally took her back to the cell. She collapsed on the floor where they threw her, laying down on the cool surface staring into the dark. Her head was killing her.

"Shade? Are you here?" she asked, afraid of being alone when she was so vulnerable.

"Yes Samantha, I am here."

"Good," was all that she could say. She still lay there, shivering from the cold floor and air. She heard Shade moving towards her, and then his hand on her back. She flinched at his touch, reliving the time she had just spent with the Jaffa.

"It's alright. Are you cold? You're shaking."

"Yeah, a little."

"So am I. Would it be all right if I held you?" he asked, hesitant.

She thought a moment, "Yes."

He helped her into a sitting position, and then put her head to his chest and his arms around her. Settled, and warmer, Sam closed her eyes.

"You know, you never told me about your family. I know about your world, but you avoided talking about anyone you loved. Why?"

"I don't know. I suppose I just get homesick. But I will talk of them if you'd like."

"Yes, I would."

"Alright. My wife, Allay, is wonderful. She's one of the most loving people I know. The first time I met her, it was at her sister's, Kyte, wedding. I was a good friend of Kyte's husband. Our society is very traditional and spiritual, so there were certain clothes we have to wear at a bonding of two people. She was wearing a deep blue skirt and a sky blue wrap. I remember every detail of my first sighting of her as if it were just a moment ago. We were married along with them that day."

She smiled, a bit astonished. "But you had just met. You didn't even know each other. Did your families approve?"

"You forget, Samantha, that my people have the ability to hear thoughts and feelings. We knew everything about each other in that first moment that we would ever need to know. And we fell in love. Our families knew this. Have you ever loved someone so much that you would accept them, all their faults, pains, memories, just so you could be with them?"

Pressing her eyes closed more tightly, she thought of a man, whose name she would never be able to say aloud. Big Mistake...

"You have felt that kind of love. Who is this, Colonel O'Neill? And why do you hide your feelings?"

"It's forbidden." She thought of everything that was keeping them apart, because it was easier than saying it aloud. Regulations, his past, my past...

"I see. I also see that he feels the same way. You know, love is something that you are blessed to receive. I can't help but feel that it's a horrible thing to not rejoice in that gift."

"The regulations are there for good reasons. Besides, I'm not even sure it would be a good idea anyway..." she stopped, knowing that he knew of her lie.

"I guess it's easier to say that it's a better idea to ignore your feelings than to confront and do something about them."

She smiled again. "I guess you have a point."

"The subject makes you uncomfortable. Why don't you get some sleep?"

"Good idea," she said, and drifted off to sleep.

Jack couldn't sleep. And by the looks of the commissary, where he went for coffee, neither could Daniel.

"Hey, Danny," the man looking up at him from his cup of coffee on the table, "Don't you ever sleep?"

"Couldn't tonight. I keep thinking about Sam." He rubbed his eyes, sighing. "I keep thinking that we should have been with her. She should have been with SG-1. Why didn't she wait till we got back? Or why didn't she just go on vacation?"

"You know Carter, Daniel. She has a weird sense of fun." Jack sat down across from Daniel. "You know, if you're going to up in the middle of the night, you should eat something instead of just drinking coffee."

"I'm not hungry."

"Daniel, you're gonna waste your energy and then you won't be any use to anyone."

"Fine. I'll have...toast or something." Daniel looked at Jack. "What are you going to have?"

"Coffee."

Samantha, wake up.

"What?" Sam got up off the floor and realized that she was alone.

Samantha.

Shade? Where are you?

I'm with the Jaffa, in the room I'm assuming you were taken yesterday.

Are you-

Yes.

I'm sorry.

Why? This is not your fault Samantha.

I know, but still...

I'm sorry to wake you, as I know that you need your rest. But I need someone to talk to, it helps me endure this...

It's all right, I understand. When did they take you? I didn't even know...

I have learned that it is better to let them take you than to resist.

I see. Why are you here Shade?

Because the goauld want to know where my planet is. When I was captured, I was traveling, visiting an ally. They want to make my people slaves, so they can use them to know their enemy's plans and thoughts. They think that we can just automatically hear it. I keep telling them that is doesn't work that way, but they won't listen. They still want me to betray my people...I have been here for seven months. I have been here too long...I miss my family, my wife, my unborn child...

Your wife is pregnant?

Yes. She will give birth in a matter of weeks...

I'm so sorry...

I am coming back Samantha. The goauld are finished with me.

Sam leaned back against the wall. She couldn't imagine being here that long. But she couldn't imagine a way that the SGC could find her, either. And if the goauld kept being so secretive about this place, she would never find a way out herself. God, she thought, I hate this place...

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Gene Este