Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Getting to Know You - Part 6

by Ruth
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Getting to Know You - Part 6

Getting to Know You - Part 6

by Ruth

Summary: Sam opens up to Jack, and Charlie's on a quest to prove Nathan wrong.
Category: Action/Adventure, Drama
Season: Season 1
Pairing: other pairing
Rating: PG
Warnings: minor language, violence
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 09/05/03

Title: Getting to Know You: Part 6

Rating: PG

Spoilers: None

Summary: Charlie's on a quest to prove Nathan wrong and Sam opens up to Jack.

Author Notes: Set in Season 1, Humour/Drama, Charlie O'Neill IS alive in this story, and Sam has a son with Jonas Hanson.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognisable characters and places are the property of MGM, World Gekko Corp and Double Secret productions. This piece of fan fiction was created for entertainment not monetary purposes and no infringement on copyrights or trademarks was intended. Previously unrecognised characters and places, and this story, are copyrighted to the author. Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.

~ Getting to Know You: Part 6 ~

Copyright (c) 2003, Ruth

IMPORTANT: My email address has changed samcarterusaf@yahoo.co.uk is NO LONGER ACTIVE. My new address is jm-webmistress@fsmail.net. Please update your address books accordingly. Thank you.

"How do you suggest we get rid of Captain Heartless?" Charlie asked, leaning back in his chair to whisper in Nathan's ear.

"You tell me," Nathan said, untying his laces and doing them back up again for the fiftieth time.

Charlie blew out an exasperated breath and glared at Makepeace.

"Yeah?" Makepeace asked, swinging his legs off of the desk.

"Do we actually get to eat anything here?" he asked cockily, folding his arms.

"Listen to me," Makepeace snarled, "If you weren't Jack O'Neill's son you'd be eating my boot by now, so shut up!"

"Ooh!" Charlie said, sitting back in his chair and saying, just loud enough for Makepeace to hear:

"If I didn't know better, I'd say he was on his period."

Nathan snorted with mirth and Charlie grinned, but Makepeace turned an angry red.

"You'd better watch your mouth, boy!" he growled, "You're not here on holiday - you're here for punishment. You can go get your food, just stay out of my way!"

"Thank you, ma'am," Charlie quipped, ducking out of the door before Makepeace could cuff him round the ear.

Nathan bit back a smirk and followed him quickly, before Makepeace changed his mind.

"So," Nathan said, once they were out of earshot, "Where's this Stargate?"

"Keep your voice down!" Charlie hissed, "If they think we know, they'll send us back to school!"

"So where are we going?" Nathan persisted.

"My dad's office," Charlie replied.

"Won't he be in there?" Nathan asked, as if Charlie was mad.

"Don't be stupid! My dad never goes in his office unless he absolutely HAS to."

"D'you want to go to my office?" Jack asked.

"Uh...yeah, sure," Sam said.

"C'mon. If we're lucky, the briefing will be short today and we can go home early."

"I very much doubt that. With General Hammond and Daniel's combined ability to talk their way out of a paper bag, we could be here some time."

Jack chuckled.

"...We could be here some time..."

"Shit!" Nathan hissed, flattening himself against the wall.

"What?" Charlie asked.

"It's my mom!" Nathan replied, pushing Charlie back as he tried to lean forwards.

Charlie froze against the wall when he heard his dad's laugh.

"Okay...I think we need to abandon this plan..." Charlie whispered, "This way!"

They took off down the corridor and had rounded the corner just as Makepeace stepped out in front of them.

"The commissary's that way, boys," he said, "Getting lost?"

"Yeah," Charlie said sheepishly, "Sure."

Makepeace sighed dramatically. "Now I'm gonna have to walk you there myself. Oh, man, why do I do this job?"

"Money?" Charlie asked, as the three of them began walking to the commissary.

"Naw. I don't get paid nothin'."

"Chicks?"

"You have your father's mind, I tell you," Makepeace smirked.

"How old were you when you had Nathan?" Jack asked.

Sam smiled weakly. "Too young. Jonas and I had just met, we'd only been together for about 6 months. He was...shocked, but he never told me to get rid of him."

Jack said nothing, allowed her to continue.

"Everything was fine until about Nathan's fifth birthday. That was when things started to go downhill between us. He would get mad for no reason, he was always shouting and moaning about something."

Her lips twisted in a bitter smile.

"I remember how I used to take Nathan to his room when Jonas was in a bad mood. I used to close the door, we'd sit down together. I'd read him a story, he'd just lay there and listen to me. He was an awful good little boy. Even when Jonas was shouting, he'd just go upstairs and sit quietly."

"Quite a contrast to the way he is now," Jack said, a smile playing at the corners of his mouth.

"You're telling me," Sam agreed. "Things got really bad between us. He...he used to get...violent."

Jack's eyebrows almost met in the middle.

"Are you saying he...?"

"Hit me? Yes. It went on for about three months, I suppose. That was when he put me in hospital. I was in for about two weeks, so Nathan was alone with him all that time. When I got back, he was different. He was cold, he'd pull his arm away from me - it was like he wasn't my baby any more."

She stopped for a moment, the memory bringing back emotions she'd long since buried, tried to forget about.

"That's when Jonas got a lawyer involved. He said that I wasn't fit to be a mother, that he should have full custody."

"But...surely he couldn't just do that? Without any evidence?" Jack asked.

"Jonas is a lot cleverer than you might think," she said, "Sly would be a better word. He had friends in all the right places...I had none."

"So much for justice," Jack muttered.

"As it stands, Jonas has the majority custody of Nathan - I see him three or four times a year, if I'm lucky. He stays for about a week, maybe two each time."

Jack frowned again. "But, Sam..."

"Jonas doesn't adhere to rules, Colonel. I see Nathan when it's convenient with Jonas - when he doesn't want a son for a week or two."

"All this time," Jack said, "I never had any idea."

"If he hadn't broken Charlie's nose, you still wouldn't, sir," Sam said, blushing at the memory.

"Teenage boys," Jack shrugged, "What are you gonna do? They fight. Not a damned thing we can do to stop them."

"Amen to that!" Sam agreed.

"Well, now where are we going?" Nathan asked.

"Can you pick locks?" Charlie asked.

"Yeah..." Nathan answered, "Why?"

"Well first, you have to teach me. Second, I need you to pick a lock."

"What lock?" Nathan asked, wishing he'd kept his mouth shut.

"Your mom's lab."

"WHAT?" Nathan exploded, "I'm not breaking into my mom's lab!"

"You're not breaking in!" Charlie protested, "We're just looking!"

"No. No no no!" Nathan said firmly.

"I thought you two didn't get on," Charlie said, unaware that he was entering a metaphorical minefield. "I thought you'd be glad to have a stab at her."

Nathan was very quiet for a few moments. "You don't know anything about my family," he said, "Just get your proof somewhere else."

"Fine," Charlie said, "We'll find...I've got it!"

"What? I'm not telepathic, you know?"

"Tela- what?" Charlie asked.

"Holy Hannah!" Nathan moaned, "It means that I can't read your mind!"

"Sorry," Charlie said, "I guess I shoulda paid more attention in science."

"No, maybe you shoulda paid more attention to the lesson - rather than Jenna Phillips in row 3."

"Piss off!"

"You were like a friggin' dog, O'Neill! With your tongue hanging out!"

"How the hell do you know, techno-geek?" Charlie retorted.

"If you'd had a neon sign above your head saying 'Bite Me!' it would have been less obvious!"

"SG-1, I'm afraid something has come up. The Tollan are requesting your assistance 0700 hours tomorrow."

"General!" Jack moaned, putting his head in his hands.

"Im sorry, Colonel. We all know how you feel about helping technologically superior races, but..."

"But nothing!" Jack said, "We save their asses and do they give us anything in return? No, nothing but a pat on the back and a 'well done!'"

"Sir...what about Charlie and Nathan?" Sam asked. "It's not really fair of us to leave you to cope with them on your own."

"Captain, I sincerely hope you're not suggesting..."

"No! No, God! I just think they need an eye kept on them whilst we're gone - a very thorough eye."

"I'm sure that can be seen to, Captain. What should I tell them about why you're gone?"

"Uh..."

"Tell them we've gone on a tactical training mission. Tell them it's procedure, nothing to worry about," Jack said.

Sam raised her eyebrows. "D'you think they'll buy that?"

"I once told Charlie that sausage was spelt with a 't.' Ya know - saus-t-age? He believed me then."

Sam smirked. Daniel bit his lip to stop himself from laughing, and pushed his glasses back up on the bridge of his nose.

"Thank you for that wonderful insight, Colonel," Hammond said dryly. "You embark at 0700 hours tomorrow. Dismissed."

"This is the infirmary."

"Well gee, that's funny, 'cos this looks like the inside of a cupboard to me!"

"Quiet! We have to wait here and listen to what they're saying!"

"And what if somebody opens the cupboard, O'Neinstein? Did you think of that?"

"I'm sure we could find a way out of that situation if it arose. Besides, you're the brains around here, Carter. It'd be up to you to figure it out."

"Me??"

"Yes, you! Do you see anybody else in this cupboard by the name of Carter?"

"My God, if my mom or your dad finds us..."

"Then we're royally screwed, I KNOW! Think about it - why would they be looking in an infirmary cupboard?"

"What are we doing in an infirmary cupboard?" Nathan hissed.

"I told you! It's like gathering intel. We're just here to prove to you that the Stargate exists. Then I can have ten bucks."

"Why couldn't we have just got detention like anybody else?" Nathan moaned.

TO BE CONTINUED...

Next time: Something's wrong at the SGC, but nobody's talking. Nathan and Charlie are determined to find out...

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Ruth