Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Each Man's Life Part 2: The End or The Beginning

by Ruth
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Each Man's Life Part 2: The End or The Beginning

Each Man's Life Part 2: The End or The Beginning

by Ruth

Summary: Kawalsky's life is thrown into turmoil when he finds his body inhabited by a Goa'uld symbiote, and it is whilst trying to resist it that he grows strong once more, watching Jack and Sam develop their friendship and learning more about the mysterious woman from his dreams.
Category: Action/Adventure, Angst, Challenge
Episode Related: 102 The Enemy Within
Season: Season 1
Pairing: other pairing, UST
Rating: PG-13
Warnings: language, violence
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 08/03/03

Title: Each Man's Life Part 2: The End or the Beginning

Rating: R

Spoilers: Children of the Gods, The Enemy Within (Alternative ending to 'The Enemy Within'.)

Archive: Heliopolis, Gateworld, Paradise Lost, Fanfiction.net, SJD yes

Details: The story of Charles Kawalsky's life, beginning before 101 Children of the Gods.

Response to Heliopolis Challenge #654

It's simple, I want a Kawalsky story, or at least with him in it and that he doesn't die, if ya get him involved with someone EVEN better:). And please NO humour. E-mail me, please, if yer gonna write it.

Response to Heliopolis challenge #1,360

Story with a Bible quote in the beginning. And let it make some sense after reading the story.

Summary: Kawalsky's life is thrown into turmoil when he finds his body inhabited by a Goa'uld symbiote, and it is whilst trying to resist it that he grows strong once more, watching Jack and Sam develop their friendship and learning more about the mysterious woman from his dreams. Response to Heliopolis challenges #654 and #1,360.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognisable characters and places are the property of MGM, World Gekko Corp and Double Secret productions. This piece of fan fiction was created for entertainment not monetary purposes and no infringement on copyrights or trademarks was intended. Previously unrecognised characters and places, and this story, are copyrighted to the author. Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.

~ Each Man's Life Part 2: The End or the Beginning ~

Copyright (c) 2003 Ruth

'Show me, O Lord, my life's end

and the number of my days;

let me know how fleeting is my life.

You have made my days a mere handbreadth

The span of my years is nothing before you

Each man's life is but a breath.'

Psalm 39:4-6

I feel numb. Everyone's congratulating me, telling me what a good job I've done - and none of them have even noticed. What am I going to do? How am I going to get this thing out of me?

+ You will not remove me, you pathetic Tau'ri +

I feel sick.

+ No, you feel power for once in your small, insignificant life +

Whenever I talk, there's another voice. Speaking, mocking, laughing. Why won't anyone help me?

+ Because they have no idea, you foolish human +

I try calling out for Jack, Sam, Daniel in the night - but my voice is silenced. I try to scream, but no sound comes out.

+ I own you, Tau'ri. I shall take great delight in watching you kill your friends +

This can't be happening to me. Hell, I'd rather spend the rest of my days living with Elena and Nate than this...

+ Do not fool yourself, Tau'ri, you despise the woman +

I can see my whole life flash before my eyes.

+ How boring for you +

Why won't the voice stop? Why won't it leave? For fear of sounding like a woman, I daren't ask for help, but I don't understand what's going on with me.

The next morning, SG-1 (Jack, Sam and Daniel) and Kawalsky met up in the gateroom. Several minutes had passed before the klaxons began to wail, and the Goa'uld attempted to breach the Iris again. They failed, their bodies slamming against the metal with a deafening wham!

"The Iris'll hold, right?" Jack asked.

"Yes," Sam replied, and promptly shot of a line of what Jack now called 'techno-babble' which made Kawalsky's headache even worse.

"You alright, Charlie?" Jack asked.

"Just a headache - can't seem to shift it."

"You get yourself down to the infirmary right away, son," General Hammond ordered.

I don't know what happened.

One minute I was sitting in the infirmary, waiting for the doctor to finish whatever he was doing to me, and the next I was standing in the gateroom, with Jack, Daniel and Sam behind me.

"Charlie? Charlie, what are you doing?"

That night, as he lay sleeping in his quarters, Kawalsky had the same dream. The woman in the white silk dress was standing by the door.

"Help me!" he whispered, trying to move closer to her but finding himself held back by an invisible force.

+ She doesn't want you, Tau'ri. She doesn't even exist! +

The woman gazed at him sadly, remaining with her back to the door.

"Please!" he begged.

Then, for the first time, she spoke to him.

"They will help you," she said, her voice as light and airy as birdsong.

"Wh - what do you mean?"

"They will help you," she repeated.

+ Don't get too hopeful - you'll have killed them before they notice something is wrong! +

"Shut up!"

The woman gazed sadly at him for a moment, before she left the room quietly.

"No! No, please! Don't leave me!"

+ She has already gone, you pathetic creature +

"Shut up! What do you want from me anyway?"

+ You have the Iris codes. Once you have taken the lives of your friends you will give them to me +

"Fuck you!"

+ That would be an impossible challenge, Tau'ri +

"I won't do it! I won't!"

+ Oh, but you will. Starting tomorrow, with the woman +

"I thought you said that she was just a dream! Can't kill her if she's a dream, can I?"

+ You fool! Samantha Carter will die by your hand tomorrow, not your fantasy woman!+

"No! I won't hurt her!"

+ Once I have control of you, you will be able to do nothing but watch as I slowly drain the life from her. I just thought you should know I get great enjoyment from it, as well as knowing that you, you pathetic underling, can do nothing to stop me. +

Captain Samantha Carter sat in the control room with Sergeant Davis, working on one of the computers. She often liked to sit down by the Stargate during the early hours of the morning, when everyone else (and she should have been) was sleeping. Sergeant Davis and she had become good friends, the 'techno-babble' that most of them found hard to understand being a common language between the two of them.

They were currently involved in a deep conversation about wormhole physics, so they didn't hear footsteps approaching them. Sam turned around to see Major Kawalsky standing behind her. Thinking nothing of it, she turned back just in time to see him breaking Sergeant Davis' arm.

"Kawalsky, what the hell are you doing?" she asked, her eyes wide with fear.

He turned on her suddenly, and she ran to the intercom.

"Emergency in the control room! Emergency in the control room!" she shouted, only to be grabbed from behind by Major Kawalsky.

She struggled but he held her in a firm grip, and whispered in her ear:

+ Help me +

Her blood ran cold as she realised that it wasn't Kawalsky's voice - it was a Goa'uld.

"Kawalsky!"

Sam felt herself being swung around and faced Jack O'Neill, standing looking at her with the same look of horror on his face as she had done moments before.

He quickly began to drag her away from Jack, down a set of stairs.

+ So, this is Samantha. I must admit, she's tougher than I expected +

"Damn you, let her go!"

+ It is you that has hold of her, Charles, not me +

"Where the hell are you taking her?"

+ Away from all of these people - she can't have an audience for her final curtain +

"I'll kill you, you son of a bitch!"

+ I hardly think so. Only she knows of my existence - and that is about to be dealt with +

He dragged her into the lift and watched as the doors shut behind him. Then, he released his grip on her. She sprung to the other side of the elevator and looked at him, horror and disgust on her face at the same time.

"You know they'll never let you out of this mountain alive!"

+ Come on then, Charles. You haven't dragged her all this way to do nothing +

"Leave her alone!"

+ It is you that will hurt her, not I +

"I will not hurt her!"

In desperation, Sam reached for the emergency stop button and slammed her fist into it. The elevator lurched to a halt.

+ Godammit! Why must you Tau'ri always interfere? +

Kawalsky watched with horror, through his own eyes but paralysed, as he grabbed hold of Sam and threw her back into the lift wall, with such force that she was knocked unconscious.

"No! You son of a bitch!"

+ You could have done the job yourself, Charles. You just needed a push in the right direction. Now, who will go next...? +

"I won't kill anyone!"

(Laughter) + You just did! +

"No! That wasn't me, it was you!"

It was then that Kawalsky heard the squeaking of the doors being forced open and he dropped to Sam's side, feeling for her pulse.

+ You're not gonna find one +

"I just did, so fuck you!"

+ Oh, blast. Never mind, tomorrow is another day +

"Kawalsky!" Jack snarled, looking at him through the elevator doors, "What the hell is goin' on?"

"I dunno, Jack - but she's hurt bad. You've gotta get her to the infirmary!"

Jack looked down at Captain Carter and back up at Major Kawalsky, unable to comprehend what he'd just seen.

+ We were so close +

"It won't happen again - not now we're onto you."

+ You humans are not nearly as smart as you believe you are +

"You're the one who just got found out!"

+ Silence! You pitiful creature - what do you expect to gain from this? +

"I want my life back."

+ It is mine now +

"No! My body may be yours at the moment, but my life - my soul, is not!"

+ As far as I can tell, Charles, you're not too happy with your life at the moment, are you? Would it really matter if I took that away from you? +

"You don't know anything about me!"

+ On the contrary, Charles, I know everything. Everything from your first word to the last thing you said to your brother+

"I don't have a brother."

+ You cannot fool me, idiot Tau'ri. I have been alive for more years than even your parents - I am not stupid +

Pain. Darkness. Fear. Loneliness. Forgetting.

When he opened his eyes, he found his angel looking back at him.

"Please..." he begged, "You have to help me."

"They will help you," she whispered, taking his hand in hers.

"They don't know - I just..."

"They know. They will help you, trust me."

"But I don't even know who you are."

"You will, in time."

Kawalsky awoke to find himself strapped to a bed, with Jack looking at him.

"Get this thing out of me, Jack!" he begged.

"We're doing the best we can, Charlie."

"Jack...when I was out...did I hurt anybody?"

Jack's expression became strained.

"Oh, God..." Kawalsky moaned. "Who?"

"You really don't remember?"

No, he didn't. Something that should have stuck in his mind as a horrific experience had been totally wiped from his memory.

"Jack, please - I need to know."

"Captain Carter."

"Oh, no! Jack, what did I...I didn't mean to hurt her..."

"Charlie, it's okay - she's just concussed, and she doesn't blame you."

"Get this thing out of me, Jack."

A couple of days later, Kawalsky lay in bed, about to be taken through to the infirmary for his surgery. He only just managed to look up when Jack entered.

"Hey," he smiled.

"Hi."

"Jack, I...just want you to know..."

"Stop going on like it's our last conversation..."

"It was an honor serving with you, Jack."

"Okay, so it's our last conversation. There's something I have to ask you, and it's not easy for me to say this."

"You're my friend, Jack. Ask me anything."

"Okay. If..If you don't make it...can I have your stereo?"

There was a long pause, and Kawalsky choked:

"It hurts to laugh."

"Don't worry - when you wake up, it'll be gone."

He fell into a deep sleep, induced by both the anaesthesia and his own exhaustion. When he opened his eyes he was still laying in the infirmary, but he had company.

"I told you that they would help you."

She sat on the edge of his bed, smiling.

"Thank you."

"Don't thank me - thank your friends."

"Don't leave me - please."

"I'm not going anywhere."

"I...are....am I dreaming? Are you just a part of my dream?"

"I am here now," she whispered, gently stroking her finger across his face.

"Who are you?" he asked, his exhaustion turning to confusion.

"You will learn soon enough. Just as you have learned the value of freedom."

"You're saying this was a test? This whole Goa'uld implantation - a test?"

"You felt that your life was worthless. You had no direction, no strength to continue on. Now you realise how wonderful it was to be free, to live without pressure and fear."

"But...I don't understand..."

"You will in time."

"What's that supposed to mean? You're just confusing me again! Who did this to me? Who are you?"

She smiled at him sadly.

"Charlie? Charlie, wake up."

"What?" he asked.

"Charlie? Charlie, wake up."

He opened his eyes to see Jack's worried face looking down at him.

"Hey, buddy! How're ya feeling?"

"Like a truck hit me," he groaned. "Can I have some water?"

"Sure."

Jack poured him a glass of water and watched him carefully as he drank it, choking when he gulped a little too much of the liquid.

"Easy, you're not drinking for two any more!" he joked, taking the glass away from him.

"How'd it go?" he asked.

"Touch and go for a while, but they got it out of you - you're free, Charlie. Back to SG-2 for you, my man!"

"I didn't think I was gonna live to see my first command..." he smiled dreamily.

"Well, ya will, buddy. Just better watch you do a good job of it, or Hammond'll have my ass."

Kawalsky snorted, and at that moment the door opened. Sam and Daniel entered.

"Hi! Didn't know you were awake yet!" Sam smiled, walking closer to the bed.

"Ditto," he said, looking at her worriedly, "Sam, I'm sorry about..."

She waved her hand dismissively. "It wasn't you - it was the symbiote. I've had worse!" she laughed.

"Really?" Jack asked.

"Well, yeah. Me and my brother used to beat each other up all the time - until he was about 30, I think."

Kawalsky laughed again.

"It still kinda hurts to laugh," he said carefully.

"You made it, Kawalsky," Daniel smiled, "You beat it. That's more hope for Shau'ri."

"Good," he said, stifling a yawn.

"Okay, people," said Jack, addressing Sam and Daniel, "I think it's time to let Dorothy get back to Oz."

"G'night, scarecrow," Kawalsky joked.

"Are you mad? I'd be the..."

"Never mind."

"They saved you. You are well again."

"You still haven't told me who you are - or if you're even real!"

"I am real."

"What's your name? Do you have a name, just something I can call you?"

"My name is Leila."

"Leila. That's a pretty name. Where do you come from?"

"My race is not one that the Tau'ri are familiar with. We were once like you, but before our deaths we chose to ascend to a higher plane of existence, known as ascension. We are the ascended beings - something like the creatures you call angels."

"Ascended beings...why haven't we heard of you before?"

"There are very few of us, and we are forbidden from interfering in the lives of the un-ascended."

"But you interfered in mine."

"I merely spoke to you, Charlie, I did not help you."

"But you did, Leila - you helped me more than you know."

"It was your friends that helped you, Charlie, you must not forget that."

Charlie was confused. Leila was real - she was a person, but she was also a...an alien? And how come only he could see her?

"Leila, am I the only one that can see you?"

"If I wish for someone to see me, they will. If I do not want to be seen, they will not."

"That's a yes, then, right?"

She smiled. "It is."

"Why did you come to me?" he asked, "I'm just..."

"You were confused, alone, desperate. I had to show you that your life was worth living, your every breath was of high value."

"So...are you saying that you did this to me? You put the Goa'uld in me?"

"I told you, Charlie, we are not allowed to interfere. I saw what happened to you and I realised the opportunity to show you the way. The symbiote was not a part of my plan, but it proved to be helpful in the end."

"Helpful? Helpful? Leila, it almost killed me!"

"It showed you that you have true friends, who you feel for deeply in your heart. Even when the symbiote tried to make you kill Captain Carter, you resisted, showing incredible strength. You fought it to the very end, which is why you have pulled through."

She paused, and looked at him.

"Your life has been anything but worthless, Charlie."

"When can I get out of here?"

"When and ONLY when I say you are strong enough, Major Kawalsky. You should be appreciating the rest."

"I'm bored out of my mind, doctor, and I feel fine. When's the earliest you'll release me?"

"Four days, minimum."

"Four days?"

"Major, I do not need to remind you that just a few days ago your body was inhabited by a Goa'uld symbiote - you need not only physical recuperation but mental as well. I have arranged an appointment for you with Doctor McKenzie."

"But..."

"No buts, Major. When Doctor McKenzie and myself are satisfied that your recuperation is complete we will let you leave the infirmary for some downtime. He'll be coming to see you at three o'clock, so no visitors."

The doctor swept out of the room, leaving a highly agitated Kawalsky behind him.

"Doctor McKenzie?" Jack asked, when he entered the room an hour later with Captain Carter, "Man, that sucks!"

"Tell me about it - I'll never get out of here at this rate!"

"The man makes my flesh crawl," Captain Carter added, rubbing her arm as if to demonstrate it.

"When have you ever had to see McKenzie?" Jack asked.

"Once. But I mean, seeing him in the corridor is bad enough!"

"I agree with Sam - the man's a snake. I wouldn't talk to him even if I wanted to!"

"What time's he coming?"

"Three o'clock."

"Oh...that's...."

"Now?"

"Yeah."

"Ah, crap. Well, it was nice knowing you guys. Take care now."

"Good luck," Captain Carter offered, squeezing his hand.

"Major Kawalsky, my name is Doctor McKenzie, and I'm evaluating your psychological condition in the aftermath of your blending with the Goa'uld symbiote. Tell me, Major, how are you feeling?"

"Fine, apart from wondering why the hell you're sitting here," Kawalsky snapped.

"There is no need to be acidic with me, Major, I am merely trying to help you. Now, how much of the incident do you remember?"

"Which particular incident are you referring to, Doctor?"

"When your body was first inhabited. What did you feel?"

"I felt a sharp pain in the back of my neck, but at the time I just thought it was a strain. It went off pretty quickly."

"I see. Tell me, could you hear the thoughts of the symbiote?"

"No."

"That's strange. From our previous findings..."

"Doctor, can we get this over with please? I'm tired."

"I thought you felt fine, Major Kawalsky. Anyway, when did you first feel that the symbiote had complete control, that you were powerless to it?"

"In the infirmary. With doctor...uh..."

"Yes, I know which Doctor you are referring to. How did it make you feel, Major?"

"Annoyed. Kinda like what you're doing now."

McKenzie, jotting down notes on a pad, decided to put an end to his bravado.

"And what about the incident with Captain Carter?" he asked, watching as the cockiness vanished from the man in front of him, "How did that make you feel?"

"I wasn't even aware that it was happening," he lied, twisting his hands beneath the sheets.

"You concussed her fairly seriously, Major. You must remember something."

"I..." Kawalsky was torn between telling the man what he wanted to know to make him go away and holding back, just to keep everything bottled up inside himself.

He was considering the two options when he felt a soft hand on his arm. He turned around to see Leila sitting opposite him, smiling.

"Tell him how you felt, Charlie."

"Major Kawalsky?" McKenzie asked, "Are you okay?"

"I was very aware of what was going on. I could see everything, hell, I could even feel myself holding her, but I couldn't stop. It was like..like I'd been pre-programmed and nobody could stop me."

"How did that make you feel?"

"How do you think it made me feel?" he snapped, but stopped when he felt Leila's hand smoothing his arm gently.

"I'm asking you, Major."

"I felt trapped. Helpless. Happy now?"

"How does it make you feel to know that you could have killed her, Major? I haven't spoken to Captain Carter myself yet, but I will be doing so. How would you feel if she was dead?"

"Awful. It'd be my fault."

"And why do you say that?" McKenzie asked, gripping the pen a little tighter in his fingers.

"At the end of the day, it was my arms that grabbed her, that threw her back against that lift wall. Not anybody else's - mine. I'd hold myself personally accountable."

"Why is this? Do you feel...attracted to her in any way?"

"For fuck's sake!" Kawalsky was quite mad now. "She's my friend and I beat the shit out of her - what part of that don't you understand?"

"I can see that we're not getting any further," McKenzie said, rubbing his chin. "Thank you, Major."

"So...how'd it go with Psycho?"

"McKenzie? Ah, jeez, does the man ever shut up?"

"No."

"I don't know why you're smiling, Carter, he's coming to see you next."

"Me?" she squeaked, "Why?"

"Could have something to do with the fact that I took you hostage, tried to kill you and knocked you unconscious."

"Oh, that! Well, that wasn't your fault, and if McKenzie thinks he can analyse me, then he can go f-"

"Captain Carter! I was just coming to see you."

Jack looked at Kawalsky as Dr McKenzie entered the room.

"McKenzie!" he called, "How ya doing, y'old dog?"

McKenzie's eyes narrowed and he looked at Sam. "I need to speak with Captain Carter. Privately."

Sam stood up reluctantly, and started to leave the room with the doctor.

"Godspeed, Captain," Jack said, saluting her.

"It was an honor, Sam!" Kawalsky called after her.

She smiled back at them, crossed herself and walked out of the door.

"What d'you suppose he's gonna ask her?" Kawalsky asked Jack.

"I dunno, his usual bullshit - are you emotionally damaged, do you need me to lock you up in a room and pump you full of drugs...that kind of thing. Why d'ya ask?"

"Jack, it just seems strange. Normally, he doesn't give a crap about any of us, except for when we literally get dragged to him."

Jack shrugged. "I know it's a totally gross thought, but what if he fancies her?"

"Ugh! Jack, don't wish that on the poor woman!"

"Yeah, true enough. Sorry Sam, if you're still alive."

"Jack, do you think he's trying to hurt me...through Sam?"

Jack frowned. "What do you mean?"

"She's young, she's only just started here. That must have been a huge shock, maybe he's..."

"Charlie," Jack said, seriously, "When you first met Carter in the briefing room, did you think she was at all vulnerable?"

"Well, I..."

"Charlie, answer me."

"No."

"Exactly. She came across as a feminist - fortunately we now know what she's really like - she won't take any of McKenzie's crap, I know it! I think in the two days that I've known her I've probably rubbed off enough of my negative influence..."

Charlie laughed. "Yeah. Maybe you're right, sorry Jack, I've just been a bit wound up lately."

"Perfectly understandable, and yes I'm always right."

Later that evening, Jack found Captain Carter sitting by herself in the control room, looking out at the Stargate.

"Hey," he said, sitting in the chair beside her.

"Hey, sir."

"Ya can drop the 'sir', Carter, we're off duty."

"Yeah, but we're still on the base."

"Yeah, sure, you betcha," Jack said, looking out at the gate and missing the smile that passed over her lips.

"It's beautiful at night," she said, following his gaze to the gate.

"What, this? It's a giant metal ring!" Jack laughed, earning himself a friendly punch on the arm.

"Look at it - it's amazing. It's a door to another world!" she said, her eyes sparkling.

Jack smiled, enjoying the way she gazed at it.

"It's the doorway to a major pain in the butt," he grunted, getting another punch.

"Ow! Carter, I'm gonna have to court-martial you for assaulting a superior officer!"

"Sorry, sir," she said, giving him the smile that made his knees go weak.

"Speaking of assault - how'd it go with McKenzie?"

Carter groaned deeply.

"That bad?" he asked, shifting in his chair to face her.

"And more," she said, pushing a hand through her short hair, "He's a total control freak - I nearly killed him!"

Jack leant back on the chair, spinning around on it for a few moments. Sam giggled.

"What did he say?" Jack asked, bringing the swivel chair to a stop and watching the room spin before his eyes.

"He was basically trying to get me to slip up and say that it was Charlie's fault."

"Bastard. I don't suppose he even pretended he was going to do otherwise?"

"Nope. From the moment I went in he treated me like a victim."

"But you were a victim, Carter."

"No, I wasn't. I hate being called a victim. It wasn't Charlie's fault."

Jack held up his hands in defense. "Okay, fine! I won't call you a victim - but you got knocked out for a few hours, Sam."

"Colonel, I've had much worse." She said, looking out at the Stargate again.

"You wanna talk about it?" Jack asked.

Sam turned back to him and smiled. "It's a very long story, Colonel, you really don't want to know."

Jack finally found the lever that adjusted the height of the chair and pulled it upwards. The chair fell to within a few centimetres of the floor, so his nose was only just touching the top of the desk.

Sam laughed. It was music to his ears.

In the infirmary, Kawalsky sat looking up at the ceiling. He was bored out of his skull, and wanted nothing more than to go home. However, the doctors were insistent that he couldn't leave until he was properly healed, and there was still the small problem of Doctor McKenzie. Actually, it was a rather large problem.

"Thinking about that psychiatrist?" a voice asked.

Charlie looked down and saw Leila sitting opposite him, smiling.

"Yeah. How'd you guess?"

She shrugged. "I guessed that he would be on your mind."

"He's trying to get me to admit that I'm psychologically damaged, and that I almost killed Captain Carter."

"What did you tell him?"

"I did what you told me to do - I told him the truth and now he's gonna hang me with it."

Leila put her hand on his arm.

"You worry too much. Everything will work out alright."

Kawalsky smiled wearily. "You obviously don't have much experience of working at the SGC - everything goes wrong here, and stays wrong."

Leila tipped her head and looked at him.

"You didn't die - how can that be wrong?"

"Well, I suppose that's true, but...It shouldn't have happened in the first place..."

"Life is about taking chances, Charlie - if you don't take them, sure you might live to be 100 but will you have enjoyed it? Now, come on, go to sleep."

"You can't tell me what to do," he grumbled, but obediently laid down anyway.

"Sleep is a great healer," Leila whispered, kissing his forehead.

In seconds his eyes were closed and he had fallen into a deep sleep, thinking about how he would make the most of his life from that moment on.

'Show me, O Lord, my life's end

and the number of my days;

let me know how fleeting is my life.

You have made my days a mere handbreadth

The span of my years is nothing before you

Each man's life is but a breath.'

Psalm 39:4-6

Continued in 'Each Man's Life Part 3: The Eyes of Another

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Ruth