Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

AND WE'RE WALKING!

by HailDorothy
[Reviews - 0]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
FOREVER AND FOR ALWAYS! - Novella - Part 1of Part 16 - Chosen Hearts Series

FOREVER AND FOR ALWAYS! - Novella - Part 1of Part 16 - Chosen Hearts Series

by HailDorothy

Summary: : Fifth and Replicarter mess with Jack and Sam's memories, while the climatic events at the SGC including Anubis' threat to invade Earth, jeopardizes any chance of happiness for Jack and Sam.
Category: Angst, Filk/Song, Humor, Hurt/Comfort, Romance, Series
Episode Related: 721 Lost City, 801 New Order, 815 Reckoning, 817 Threads, 818 Citizen Joe, 819 Moebius
Season: Season 8
Pairing: Team, Jack/Sam, none
Rating: 13+
Warnings: adult themes, character death, language, sexual situations, none
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 2005-03-13

Title: Forever And For Always! Novella - Part 1 of Part 16 - Chosen Hearts Series - 8 Author: HailDorothy Email: gwichman1@new.rr.com Category: Humor/Angst/Romance Warnings: None Pairing: Sam/Jack, Sam/Pete, Others: Teal'c, Daniel, Cassandra, Jacob Carter Spoilers: Pre-Season-1 - S8 - Threads 818, Moebius 1&2 - 819, 820 Rating: Caution for Jack's mouth & sexual content between a husband and wife. Author's Notes: Please read 'Branded Hearts' first.

Summary: Fifth and Replicarter mess with Jack and Sam's memories, while the climatic events at the SGC including Anubis' threat to invade Earth, jeopardizes any chance of future happiness for Jack and Sam. File Size: 154KB Archived: Jackfic, GateWorld, SamandJack, Heliopolis and my site: HailDorothy.net

Dedicated: to all the fic fans that have read this series from conception and continue to encourage me to keep the fire burning between Jack and Sam.

Songs: 'Where Do Broken Hearts Go?' Whitney Houston, Greatest Hits. Lyrics: F. Wildhorn, C. Jackson 1987(c), 'It's Getting Better All the Time,' - The Greatest Hits Collection II - BMG/Arista - Brooks and Dunn(c). 'She'll Hear You,' Ben Jelen(c). 'Let Me Tell You' - KC And The Sunshine Band(c). 'What I Did For Love', - Jonny Mathis(c). 'Take Good Care Of My Baby' - Bobby Vinton(c). 'It's Getting Better Every Day' - Mama Cass Elliot(c). 'You Should Hear' - Melissa Manchester - Tom Snow/Dean Pitchford(c). 'Put Your Head On My Shoulder' - Paul Anka(c). 'Forever and For Always,' Shania Twain(c)

Series Summary: This is an established series in which Jack and Sam fell in love during Jack's retirement. When Jack is re-commissioned and Sam inadvertently assigned his subordinate, they pretend to be strangers and put their wannabe lover's relationship on hold. Little do they realize it will not be a matter of months, but years, before they can follow through on the desire of their hearts.

The series is not chronologically written, and begins with Jack and Sam's first romantic encounter to present SG-1 season whether S8, S9 or S10. Please read 'Charade' for setup of rest of, 'Chosen Hearts Series.' I have posted fics by season and episode. Other than the twists I've first introduced and a few along the way, this series is canon based.

Special thanks to: My friends and betas Carol Sue and Dinkydow, you ladies, have the patience of saints and the heart of a true Jack/Sam shippers! And thank you, God, for bequeathing me the gift of the bards.

Disclaimer: All publicity recognizable characters and places are the property of MGM, World Gekko Corp and Double Secret Productions. This series may include script excerpts from the TV Series 'Stargate SG-1.' This fan fiction was created for entertainment, not monetary purposes and no infringement on copyrights or trademarks are intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of said author, HailDorothy 2005 (c).

Feedback: Gosh, darn, don't make me beg! Pretty Please? Starvation of this writer's muse is no pleasant sight. All feedback is food for thought and well digested. "Feed me, Seymour!" (The Little Shop of Horrors)

~*~ PART 1

CHAPTER ONE

HOODWINKED!

Sealed by a kiss Seared in our essence Sated in our blood Forged in our hearts

His breath the air I breathe His touch the cloak that warms me Devil, do what you dare Our love cannot be hoodwinked

All may not be as it seems-Beware!

~*~

With Jack's kiss branding her lips, heart, and mind Sam thought she'd sleep. She'd wanted to call him, to verify it had really happened. Her hot aching body assured her something amazingly miraculous happened between them tonight. Jack had sealed their love with a kiss, not just any kiss, his Ancient DNA had merged with hers and they were one forever. From here on nothing could divide them. Snuggling into the warm cocoon of his imagined embrace, Sam slept the best in ages, her dreams merging with those of her dream lover and of their future together.

~*~

These mortals were puppets in his hands. It would take seconds. It would come and be gone before its ship's presence was detected by their primitive technology.

Fifth stood beside Sam's bed watching her smile in her sleep and in her dream. Dreams it wished to be a part of. She would be it's again. There was no doubt.

Months ago, Fifth had delved into her memories, foolishly it'd taken on the image of the man who she'd shared recent intimate experiences with, Pete somebody . . .Fifth had even recreated the farm in Montana that Sam envisioned. It'd watched her awaken, look around the bedroom and despite her confusion she'd seemed pleased and happy with her surroundings. That was until Fifth emerged as Pete from the barn. It'd seen the light in her blue eyes dim, the disappointment, even shock at Pete's image. This was odd. When Fifth had kissed her and asked if that felt real, she'd lied. Her kiss had been cold and un-giving.

Fifth had been shocked at this failure. But it'd kept up the guise, telling itself she was just bewildered and that it needed to be more like Pete, sweet, kind, understanding and caring. That hadn't worked. She'd wanted it to be someone else, but who? Fifth hadn't been able to get through the wall she'd erected to keep it out. Protecting someone? The man she really loved. Who?

Then came the Stranger invading Fifth's world.

"We must leave," Fifth had insisted to Sam outside the farmhouse.

"Why?" She'd faced it defiantly.

"They've found a means to fight us."

"The Asgard? How?" She looked around but didn't see any invasion.

"The one you call O'Neill."

"What!" It had seen it then, the relief and love in her blue eyes not for Fifth, not for Pete, but O'Neill.

"Your friends. They are killing . . ."

"Don't expect me to be sorry." She had seemed happy.

" . . .Trying to stop us."

"Trying to save me," Sam said adamantly.

"No!" Fifth tried to convince her that the one called O'Neill wouldn't come for her. "They do not care about you. I told them I would kill you if they did not stop."

"Then why don't you kill me? You know why my friends won't stop just to save me?"

"No." Fifth sensed her feelings were open. Without even mind melding it knew Sam's heart belonged to O'Neill and she'd rather die by that man's hand, than remain here with Fifth.

"Because they know, when it comes right down to it, I would rather be dead than be trapped like this forever."

Yes, Fifth knew when she said they, Sam meant O'Neill.

"No matter what you feel for me, I will never love you back. Kill me if you want, but if you have even one shred of humanity in you, if you really truly love me, you'll let me go."

It did.

~*~

Fifth was back.

Alongside Fifth stood its newest creation, Replicarter, who it called ISam. ISam was perfect in every way, possessing what no Replicator ever had before, Sam's DNA, thanks to the Asgard technology Fifth had stolen. Of course, Fifth fine-tuned her. ISam even loved and obeyed Fifth. That, however, proved the problem, ISam wasn't Samantha Carter, at least not the one it desired. The one with fire and complex emotions that drove Fifth crazy with need for her, to join with her as human lovers do. It had glimpsed this physical union in Sam with the mortal Pete. And yet it'd not sensed her desire for Pete in the manner she felt for the one called O'Neill. All her love and passion was reserved for the one she had tried to protect, the one she wouldn't admit had ordered her to leave Fifth behind two years ago! O'Neill!

"You wish me to?" ISam reached to invade Sam's mind, looking for Fifth's approval.

"No!" Fifth stopped her. "We will merge together. She has hidden information. Buried it. We need to burrow deeper into her subconscious. But we will start with the immediate, with her dreams. It is important that we do not harm or disturb her. We will touch her and O'Neill at the same time."

"She will know it's us," ISam insisted with Sam's frown.

"Yes, but she cannot stop us." His demonic smile made his companion smile.

Their forms separated, breaking into another set of Fifth and ISam. One set vanished appearing in Jack's bedroom.

~*~

Fifth glared down at Jack O'Neill with vile hatred. Hatred fueled by years of suspended animation, and now knowing without reservation that this was the man Sam loved, that she would die for. Fifth should have seen this the first time, should have sensed their unique bond. But then it'd not possessed the human qualities needed for such comprehension. It did now.

O'Neill possessed what Fifth desired, Sam. He also possessed qualities Fifth needed to obtain its goal, Sam's love. This would take time but Fifth would become Jack O'Neill.

His deadlight eyes examining the mortal's outer cover, Fifth had yet to understand why Sam would be attracted to this gray-haired middle-aged being, whose physical condition was anything but perfect. He had many flesh scars and most of his skeleton had been broken. His knees were, as Fifth discovered while visiting Sam's mind, shot. Fifth was younger, smarter and more handsome. Clearly, there was more to this emotion of love, more than physical attraction had linked Sam's heart to this aged man.

It would be so easy to kill the defenseless creature. But Fifth no longer relished easy. No, it wanted them to suffer while it planned O'Neill's demise and then took Sam for itself. Fifth tipped its head and glanced at ISam who quietly observed the O'Neill. The expression of longing on her face mimicked that of Sam. Fifth watched ISam's delicate chin jut out and then back in. A look Fifth had never seen ISam display even for it. She possessed Sam's attraction for this man, at least as much as Fifth had been able to retrieve the first time. She knew he was an enemy to their brethren. Rage and jealousy caused Fifth to shake.

"I anger you, Fifth."

"Your lack of control, yes."

"Forgive me? But from Sam's point of view, he is beautiful. He is her lover, her husband. And yet they live and sleep apart."

"Because they are deceitful to their kind. I believe this O'Neill calls it hoodwinked. Something we will never do."

"Never." ISam nodded its blonde head.

"Except to them."

"Yeah sure yabetcha." She winked.

"Good. Remember what this mortal did to 'us,' our brethren. He must be punished."

"I understand," her blue gaze drifting back to O'Neill. "But can I . . ."

"Yes." There was no need for them to speak like humans, but Fifth knew it was imperative she learn the ways of these mortals.

ISam leaned forward and pulled the sheets away revealing his state of undress. A slight gasp left her. "Amazing! Like, Sam, he is physically stirred," her gaze locked on his nether region. "No doubt he dreams of her now."

"Yes. We will amalgamate with their memories and then practice this human form of bonding."

Nodding, ISam gently traced a fingertip over Jack's warm lips, jaw, then down his neck across his chest and stomach. Jack groaned and moved against ISam's touch.

"Saam," he breathed out.

ISam gasped at the heat from his body and pulled back. 'I like this pleasure and power.' It smiled evilly at Fifth. 'I like what I can do to him.'

'You are a good apprentice." They joined hands.

Simultaneously, back in Sam's bedroom, ISam nodded and two sets of hands transformed into a long fine needle penetrating Sam's forehead. She flinched at the precision contact. Her peaceful romantic dreams invaded by icy cold.

'Now let us expunge what we need. Afterward we have one last mortal to visit.'

"Who?"

At Jack's bedside, the Replicators hands transformed into a bigger needle and Fifth confidently replied, "Pete Shanahan."

~*~

OF BUGS AND MEN

Dream a little dream of me . . .

They were at their cabin. Sam loved the idea of this serene place being theirs. She finally understood why he'd come here whenever possible. Twenty miles from nowhere, he'd once said, the middle of the universe. He was right.

And now the mid-day sun warmed her body as she danced the dance as old as time with her lover beside the lake. She could feel the grass tickling beneath her or was it his stealth caresses? Sam didn't care. She was with Jack. The man, who she loved, branded to for life, her chosen heart. Her husband.

Her dizzy gaze captured the twinkle of the blue diamond on her left hand. Married! Yes! He was whispering those naughty arousing words that only he could utter. His touch was electrifying. He laughed and pulled her closer, "So wanna go fishing, Mrs. O'Neill?"

"Already am," she teased back. "Caught me a big one too," she kissed his whiskered jaw and extracting a guttural groan as her touch captured the heat of him. Jack nuzzled the curve of her neck kissing her there. Man, she loved when he didn't shave and his beard chafed her delicate skin. Her fingers shifted through his longer gray hair that she could curl her fingers through and hang onto.

"You make me crazy, Samantha," his husky lisp drove her over the edge with pleasure.

"I know," she drawled against his feasting mouth, urging their union, her love for this man bringing her to tears as she insisted, "Now Jack."

His strength enveloping her, Jack joined with her and murmured, "Wanna make a baby, Dorothy?"

"Yes!" The one thing besides Jack she longed for was his baby, babies to be exact.

"Baby!" An angry voice screamed in her head.

Fifth! Its deadlights glared at her from that cold darkness she'd been trying to forget. Sam sensed another presence with Fifth but couldn't see it.

"What the h-?" Jack blanketed Sam's nude body with his own and glared at Fifth. "Crap! Boogie man is back!"

"And you, O'Neill, are gone!" The angry Replicator yanked Sam from Jack's protective arms, and then flung him through the air. Jack collided with the log cabin's wall so hard Sam heard the impact, heard his painful call, "Sam!"

The dream transformed to reality. A paralyzing fear seized her in a deep state of R.E.M. She couldn't break free of the familiar agonizing mental pain. Fifth stood gloating, but not at her, at Jack, whose anguished expression stated the obvious. They were being attacked simultaneously.

The emotional pain of their subconscious separation took on a physical nature. Sam was still immobile, but Jack seemed able to move. He was running toward her, so close. Yes! The earth quaked, the ground plummeted into a huge dark abyss and she was falling-

"Sam!" Jack yelled and vanished!

"I am sorry," ISam's voice echoed back to her. "Fifth made me! Fifth is mad!"

~*~

CHAPTER TWO

When I woke up this morning, you were on my mind . . .

~*~

Jack brought cake. Problem was he couldn't remember why. Oh, well, not like no one would eat it. He glanced into the Briefing Room where his SG Team officers mingled with coffee and yeah, his cake.

Meanwhile, he sat in his office holding an ice pack to the base of his skull. What a hangover! He hoped it had been worth it. Hoped Daniel wasn't ticked off at him. Worse, he couldn't believe he'd gotten hammered the night before a seven A.M. briefing with his team leaders.

Being General sucked.

He lowered his forehead to the desk and tried to think.

Thinking sucked.

His brain felt like scrambled eggs. "You're an ass, Jack," he muttered against the comforting coolness of the oak desktop. 'No one's worth getting wasted over anymore, not even Carter. She made her choice and it's not you, so live with it!'

Despite that brilliant newsflash he wished he could remember drinking himself into the stupor. It wasn't like him to get mind numbing drunk anymore and if he did, he always remembered why. That's how rare it had become. Of all the things to forget, he hadn't forgotten the great dream that turned into a freaking nightmare that still gave him gooseflesh.

One moment he was at the cabin on the grass making love to Sam, next something yanked him out of her arms and tossed him painfully against the cabin's wall and then he was falling into a dark abyss. No doubt, the abyss represented waking up to one S.O.B. hangover.

"Jack?"

"Wha-at?" He lifted his smarting face just high enough to discern the swimming image of Daniel standing in the doorway, sipping coffee. Jack's stomach pitched. "Stand still wilya. You're making me sicker," he drawled closing his eyes.

"Wow! That's a first!"

"Nah ah." Jack waved a limp hand. "Quiet . . .very quiet." He grimaced and slowly lowered his forehead to his folded arms.

"Sorry," Daniel whispered and stepped further into the office, then said softly, "I've got clothes pins for your eyelids. Hey, when did you add red dye to your eyeballs?"

"Funny." Jack propped his head and then scrubbed a hand over his face and into his hair. Crap, even his hair hurt.

"Like what happened after I dropped you off last night?" Daniel ventured taking a chair.

"You tell me?" he moaned sliding the icepack around to his forehead. "Feel like I hit a concrete wall at hyper drive."

"Yeah, well, granted, you'd been chugging them down pretty hard at first, but stopped. Seemed pretty sober when you and Pete had it out in the restroom."

"We what?" Jack flinched, peeling open an eye.

The Space Monkey was smirking. How could anyone be so happy this early in the morning? Daniel could. Oh, yeah, that's right. This was Daniel.

The linguist leaned closer and looked apprehensively at his friend. "I had no idea the Ancient Branding would do that to you. Hope Sam's okay."

"Whatchaya talking about?" Jack grimaced.

"Just last night was pretty emotionally intense. I assumed you went to Sam's. So you two drive in together?" He winked suggestively.

"Huh?" Daniel made absolutely no sense. Then again that was normal.

"General?" Walter barged in. "We've less than ten minutes before the briefing, sir."

"My watch works, Walter." Jack didn't remove his head from the comfortable position he'd finally found against the back of the high back chair.

"Sorry, sir, but umm, Colonel Carter called, said she's sick. She didn't sound well-"

"Now I'm concerned." Daniel glanced at Jack, who could only moan a reply.

"But, she said she'll be here, soon as she stops vomiting."

"Thanks." Jack shifted his head and squinted at his assistant. "Do me a favor, Walter. Cancel and reschedule all of today's briefings."

"Certainly, sir." Walter had a slight smirk. "Would you like more coffee?"

"No, got gut rot. Get me a bottle of . . ."

"Antacids are in your top left drawer, sir."

'Oh,' Jack mouthed, lifting his head. He swore a brass band played in there, a marching band no less."

"And, sir?"

"Walter?" He winced at the punctual assistant from hell.

"You have a briefing with SG-14 at 0900."

"Whoopee," He waved a limp hand to shoo the man off. Hey, hadn't he just canceled the briefings? "Walter?"

"Yes, sir. I'll cancel all your meetings today and reschedule them through out the week. However, don't forget the conference call with the Joints Chief of Staff at 0930."

Jack moaned, knowing he couldn't weasel of that meeting unless there was a threat level of oh um, a code red or foxtrot alpha six. He wished!

"Your drycleaner called, so I sent a man to pickup your laundry. Rescheduled your six-month dental checkup for Wednesday at 1400. Cook wants your opinion on that new double chocolate pecan cheesecake. He got twenty cases of fresh papayas instead of popcorn and um, sorry, no Fruit Loops or Oatmeal, still on backorder. Oh, two of your neighbors called complaining, about some moron mowing your lawn at 0430 again. With all due respect I assume that moron, would be you, sir?"

Walter hightailed it out before Jack could strangle him.

"Geez! I swear he does that on purpose," Jack groused beneath his breath.

"He does." Daniel snorted. "Be glad you got him, Jack."

"I know . . . He's like Radar on M*A*S*H. He knows all, sees all, darn scary, next he'll be meddling in my love life like someone else I know."

"You have a love life?" Daniel teased.

"Daniel."

"Jack?"

"Daniel?"

"Is there something you wanna tell me?"

"Not particularly." Jack sat up gingerly, opened the drawer to find the bottle of antacids exactly where Walter said it was. He didn't recall putting it there. Geez, Walter was everywhere even in Jack's drawers. "Now if you don't mind, I'm going to my quarters for one hour of undisturbed-"

The office lights flickered and died.

The emergency lighting kicked in.

Klaxons blared out the news.

"Attention all personal, off world activation. This is a code red alert!"

"Ah, for crying out loud! Ow! My head!" Dang, he got what'd he wished for!

~*~

Sam sat over the toilet. Man, oh, man, she couldn't remember ever being this sick. Except after Fifth-

The phone rang, and she barely made it into the bedroom. "Hello." She held her pitching stomach and gagged.

"Sam?"

"Pe-ete." She slumped back on the bed lowering her throbbing head onto an ice pack and closed her bloodshot eyes.

"Yeah." He didn't sound well either.

"Um, Sam, I called your lab and a Doctor Felger said you were home sick."

"Yep."

"I'm sick too," he said groggily.

"Amazing. Something we ate?"

"Probably . . . Say, did we fight?"

"Don't know." She searched her pulsing head and encountered remnants of heated words, flashes of angry faces. Pete. Jack. Jack! Why?

"Sam?"

"What?"

"Do you remember leaving a message on my cell?" he sounded angry and concerned.

"No. Why?"

"Nothing. I just . . .Look, we're all right, I mean our relationship?"

"Sure. Of course." They were right? Somehow it didn't ring true.

"Good. I . . ."

"Pete?" The distinct sound of vomiting followed.

Had to be food poisoning. Sam's belly pitched again and her head felt like an exploding grenade. No way was she going to work.

A call beeped through on her phone. "Colonel Carter?"

"Later, Pete, I gotta call coming in."

"Yes?" She hurried back to the bathroom.

"Walter here. All systems are offline . . . "

"Please send a car, coz I can't drive."

"Will do, Ma'am."

Dropping the phone Sam hugged the throne as another wave of dry heaves washed over her. Death by a zat would be a welcomed reprieve at this point.

~*~

'Never know how much I love you, you never know how much I care When you put your arms around me, I get a feeling that I just can't bear You give me fever, when you kiss me, fever when you hold me tight Fever in the morning, fever all through the night.

Bless my soul I love you, take this heart away Take these arms I never use them And just believe what my lips have to say You give me fever, when you kiss me, fever when you hold me tight Fever in the morning, fever all through the night

Listen to me, baby, hear every word I say No one can love you the way I do Because they don't know how to love you my way You give me fever, when you kiss me, fever when you hold me tight Fever in the morning, fever all through the night

The sun lights up the daytime, the moon lights up at night My eyes light up when you call my name, Because I know you're gonna treat me right You give me fever, when you kiss me, fever when you hold me tight Fever in the morning, fever all through the night. You give me fever, you give me fever, oh yeah, Fever all through the night'

~*~

SGC Control Room:

FEVER!

Yep, he was definitely burning up. At least he was standing. That was more than he could say for Carter. Jack worried. What in the world had they eaten or drank last night at O'Malley's and why wasn't Daniel sick?

"How's those glitches and lost coordinates coming, Colonel?" A hand on either side of her chair's back to keep his balance, he leaned over as she typed at the control board, while the staff went about their business.

"Fine sir, all accounted for." Sam glanced at him, her blue eyes void of light. Even her complexion looked pasty. "I sure would like to know who messed with them. This was no accident."

"Rarely is," he dismissed her work concern. "You look like hell."

"You should talk, sir," she tossed back with a watery smile.

Wow! He felt, well, something he shouldn't be feeling, let alone when sick. He paused to identify the exact word to describe it. Horny! Carter? And he was hot, really hot! He reached up and ran a finger along the neckline of his black t-shirt. He was sweating like a pig.

"Must have been the steak or sour cream," he suggested, stepping off distance between them and adjusting his BDU shirt to conceal the growing evidence. The pleasurable sensation overpowered him. Run for the hills, Jack! Man, he wanted her, on his desk, now! Erotic images spiraled through his mind, feelings coursed down his spinal cord accelerating every nerve fiber and tissue of his being. He was on instant replay of their wedding night on Heru'ur's ship four years ago. Not to mention their stint as Nirrti's mating lab rats twenty years ago. Why now?

"Err, I had lemon chicken and rice." Her comment dragged him back to the present and out of the gutter.

"Oh. Um, Daniel's not sick." He unconsciously gravitated toward her and got hotter. Why was he running a fever?

"Nor is anyone else. I called the restaurant and talked to Jim."

"Well, my head's worse than my gut," Jack shared. "Feels like someone jammed a big honking nail into it." He rubbed his forehead and winced.

"It's about even on my end."

"Sorry."

She turned and met his sincere gaze. Another sensation sluiced over him, more than hormones, far more dominant. Years of discipline kept his emotions for Sam trapped deep, especially while on duty. That wasn't the case now. And she was looking at him in a way she hadn't since before he went Ancient. As if she still loved him, wanted him. He felt the sweat on his upper lip and slowly tracked his tongue over it, lapping up the salt.

Sam made a low keening sound and mimicked his tongue action, her own face flushed with fever. When her tongue flicked the bow of her wet lips, he felt a viral groan working its way up from the pit of his groin. What was going on? Their gazes fused as one, even stranger they seemed to be breathing together. Synchronized.

Inhale.

Exhale.

Breathe, dang it!

"Um, so Pete's sick too, huh?" Jack choked out between gasps. His hands swatted an invisible insect. He was shaking. People were watching, listening. He jammed his antsy hands into his pockets and rocked on his heels. Whoops. Not wise. He wavered and latched onto the chair. Thank heavens for his relaxed-fit BDU's.

"Yes." She blinked a few times, then turned back to the screen and rubbed her neck that glistened with perspiration. Jack was tempted to give her a shoulder rub. Why? Coz he used to give them to her on a regular basis when she burned the midnight oil. He remembered the one he'd given her the night before he went Ancient. It had been so hot and intense between them . . .

"Last I spoke with him, he was throwing up."

'Yes! There's justice!' "Look, Carter, if ya wanna go home and hold his hand, go." 'Did he just say that, let alone in public?' Sam's slender shoulders stiffened. Crap! He did!

"I'll do just that, sir." Standing, she snatched up the computer printout and snapped it between her fingers. "Now, if you'll excuse me." She wavered and he instinctively grabbed her, turning her into him.

"I'm sorry," he said softly before letting go, his eyes full of regret.

"Whatever." She walked off stiffly, but not enough to conceal the inviting sway of her hips. 'Geez, Jack, get a grip! Yeah, a grip of Sam!' He felt the curious eyes of his observant staff.

Stalking toward the stairs and his office, he barked, "Back to work, people!"

~*~

CHAPTER THREE

SGC GATEROOM

Geared up from an off world mission, ISam exited the Gate holding a rifle. Daniel and Siler stood waiting for her at the bottom of the ramp. It ambled down the ramp toward them.

Daniel looked up. "Sam! Good to have you back. How'd it go?"

Without hesitation, ISam lifted its P90 and gunned down Daniel and Siler, and then the two SFs in the room.

From the Control Room Walter Harriman yelled over the PA: "Security breach! Threat level: foxtrot alpha six. All security teams to the Gate Room!"

The blast doors closed over the Control Room as ISam strolled casually down the ramp. The Gate Room door shut. She reached out to swipe the card reader when a bullet hit her square in the back. Without a flinch, she turned and saw Jack in the opposite doorway, his P90 aimed at her. She knew it was his bullet that had just ripped through her.

His stunned expression held it captive as he tentatively lowered his rifle. ISam saw the confusion in his narrowed brown eyes followed by his familiar facial twitch as he registered what, it had just done. ISam had shot Daniel and Siler in cold blood. He was next.

ISam took a few steps toward him and then halted. A ripple effect washed over its feminine form and the wound healed. ISam watched the reality of what it really was transform Jack's bewildered expression to that of a hardnosed soldier.

Jack set his rifle to multiple-fire, braced, and shot a hail of bullets into ISam. Again the ripple sluiced over it as ISam repaired the damage. ISam raised its rifle and aimed at Jack, and then hesitated as he stared at it in dread. Jack! Her husband! The man who loved Samantha Carter and who she lo-

"Finish him! Do it! Finish him!" Fifth appeared on the ramp. "You must break with your old life for your new life to begin. Do not disappoint me!"

Jack stared at ISam with a mixture of shock and acceptance. ISam fired a single bullet into his chest. He groaned and crumbled to the concrete floor. Smiling proudly Fifth strolled toward it and the room dissolved into the dull gray metallic walls of the Replicator ship.

Overwhelmed with loss and remorse for what it'd just done ISam turned to Fifth.

"You have done very well." He reached to caress her but she pulled back. "Soon, you will be ready to take your place by my side." He walked away and dissolved into a wall. ISam stayed where it was, face contorted with grief and pain, it projected itself back to the SGC Gate Room Simulation.

Dropping to its knees ISam stared at the man Samantha Carter loved and would die for. "Wake up, Jack. This wasn't real!" ISam caressed the coolness of his whiskered cheek. When he didn't respond it began to shake Jack's limp lifeless form. "No! You're not dead! I didn't kill you. Won't! Can't!"

"You will!" Fifth's words assaulted ISam's mind. "You will do it over and over again, until it's second nature!" The simulation started again. ISam walked down the ramp and-

As its physical self obeyed Fifth's orders, ISam pulled within itself, away from Fifth where even he could not touch it because ISam was superior to Fifth. It hated Fifth! Hated him! He'd take what ISam wanted most and destroyed it. Jack O'Neill! Well, this wasn't going to happen! ISam had a plan. Holy Hannah, it was going to work. Yeah sure yabetcha!"

~*~

FEVER!

Sam removed the oral thermometer and frowned at the reading that refused to drop below 99.8. At least it wasn't a 102 like when she'd been with the General. Not that he had anything to do about it, right?

Sam didn't go home or hold Pete's hand. But she did retreat to her lab and shut the security door, something she rarely did considering the old ventilation system worked best with it opened. Actually she felt physically and emotionally better being near the General. Weird! But she'd also felt she was burning up with fever in his presence. A feverish fire that started in her womanhood and threatened to consume everything in its path. And to complicate things, she'd sensed the same raging inferno attraction raging in him.

Holy Hannah, what was wrong with her, with the General? She'd tried to sort the pieces but kept drawing blanks. It had been this way between them for a long time right, the emotional distance? So what had brought this uncontrollable urge to make love to him now? As an afterthought, she glanced at the wall calendar and then counted off her fingers. "Twenty, twenty one-Can't be! Nah! Has to be coincidence, right? Still, she was definitely ovulating. But why did she want Jack? 'Well, if that isn't a dumb question, Carter? You've always wanted him!'

Sam recalled the morning she'd gone to his house after he'd downloaded the knowledge of the Ancients. How she'd never slept that night and had been driving around town since 0500 hours. She found herself anxiously at his door and that he'd opened it seemingly surprised. She'd intended to tell him she was still in love with him and hoped he'd felt the same. She wanted his forgiveness for being with Pete. She wanted Jack more than ever. But she couldn't remember much after that. All she had were fragmented personal recollections. She remembered feelings of hopeless desperation as the download overtook Jack, fearing she'd never be able to tell him how she felt. And she hadn't. To this day, she'd yet to tell anyone of her jumbled memories. She didn't want to spend weeks in therapy with Doctor Mackenzie. No way.

And, because her love for Jack still ran ocean deep, she and Pete had made love only a few times. She'd since insisted they just make out, but let him stay overnight in the guest room. He didn't like it, but respected her decision. Even when petting Pete had only sexually satisfied her a few times but there'd been no explosion of fireworks like when she and Jack had walkie-talkie sex. Or when they came together in their dreams. Those hot memories made her shiver. Just the sound of Jack's sultry lisp was able to take her over the rainbow!

Still, Pete made her happy by some remote definition of the word. He was comfortable and predictable, like Jack. No, not like Jack. That was a different kind of comfort and predictable zone. Comfort in knowing that even now, she could trust him to be there for her. She could take comfort in his strong arms, in the way he'd murmur reassurances in her ear as he brushed her hair with his hand and held her like he'd never let go . . .Stop it, Sam!

Predictable. Doh!

Predictable, in that he always had a plan A but never a plan B. Predictable, in that on any given situation, she could mouth his choice O'Neillism before it left his mouth. But just when she least expected, he'd create a new one! Sam smiled. Predictable, in that like a little kid with a new toy he'd stand in the line of fire and discharge his P90 at the advancing enemy. Not that he took pleasure in taking life but he'd get the same gleam in his eyes when he'd detonate C4. Jack O'Neill truly walked the lunatic fringe. And that factor alone made her feel alive!

Predictable, in that he used to always bring her coffee and blue Jell-O once a day and when she was PMSing double chocolate cake with butter frosting. Or even better, she'd find Godiva chocolate in her BDU pocket. She never did figure out how he did that.

But wait, Pete was predictable! He bought her roses . . .although she preferred daisies. He was always available when she needed to escape the mountain and the stress of a Goa'uld invasion. He wined and dined her. Bought her sexy nightgowns instead of Wonder Woman flannel pajamas. Sam nipped her inner cheek to keep from smiling at the sad state of those worn pajamas.

Um, Pete provided everything she wanted in a relationship. Really! And unlike her and Jack, she and Pete never, ever argued. Sam accepted the bittersweet realization that perhaps this was as good as it got. She'd settled and that fact sickened her, it wasn't her style or nature.

Like it or not arguing with the General always got her hot. Just the way he'd say, "Carter!" when he was pissed made her flush with need. In fact when they'd been married a disagreement or heated words at the briefing table fueled the best make-out sessions. Sam got hot just thinking about it. Curse the man!

And why now?

Her memories of her marriage to Jack on Chulak seemed an illusion, vague at best. Besides, they were farther apart than ever, separated by more imposing regulations since he became CO of the SGC. A decision she'd hated him for making, but had never told him. Career-wise it was the best move he could have made. Despite his unorthodox methods, he proved as always to be a strong, decisive leader and had everyone's respect and loyalty, especially hers. Up until today, she wondered if that mattered to him anymore. Did she mean anything more to him than being SG-1's CO and his friend?

And yet a few hours ago when he'd come to check on her in the Control Room, something transpired between them. It still sent a tremor of quicksilver to her womanhood, not that being around him still didn't do that. Just, since dating Pete, she'd learned to conceal it, even ignore it. Sometimes, she thought she was over Jack, but this morning, it came in a powerful rush of emotionally charged adrenaline. Love, lust, angst, confusion! It felt as if well, she tried to push the ridiculous idea out of her head and failed, they'd made love.

Angry, wild monkey sex!

Sam felt as if Jack had seen into her soul and she into his. As if he'd known exactly what she'd been thinking. There'd been a time he had. No one not even her father knew as much about her as Jack O'Neill did. Over the years, most often, lying in his arms she'd bared her aspirations, dreams and fears with Jack. And he'd accepted every part of Samantha Carter and most of all loved her.

Tears stung her eyelashes. When had it gone so wrong between them? She felt as if a part of her had died. And yet when he'd made that cutting remark about Pete, she knew he felt something, even if it was revulsion. Was there still a chance?

"Sam?" Daniel called from the corridor.

"Enter," she groaned, lifted her head off the coolness of the table and swiped at her wet, blood shot eyes.

Folder in hand, he stepped in soon as the door opened.

She pressed a feeble smile, knowing it didn't touch her eyes.

"Hey," he squinted at the dim lightening that washed the lab. "You alright?"

"Sure. Considering." She left her stool and stretched her sore body. "Feel like I've been on the obstacle course from hell, other than that," she trailed off and turned the lights up, wincing at their brightness. She decided not to mention her fever had yet to drop to normal.

"Yeah, Sam, about that." He made the habitable finger thrust of his glasses up the bridge of his nose.

"What?" She opened one of her manuals, feigning interest in it.

"Do you recall anything that happened last night at O'Malley's or afterward?"

Sam grimaced. "Not really. Pete and I went there for dinner. You and Jack were there too. I assume there was a blowout of sorts, but I can't recall the specifics."

"I see," he sighed out with that tightlipped expression that worried her.

"So care to enlighten me, oh great Ancient One?"

"Erm, um," he heehawed. "Jack asked the same thing." Daniel twitched his fingers, which made her more nervous.

"And?" She stepped closer, knowing the Jackson avoidance tone. "You were there, Daniel. So spill."

"Can't."

"Why?"

"Well, because I'm not certain myself, and until I do more research, I'd rather not discuss it. I mean I'm thinking you guys are just fine and I'm the one with the problem. Which makes no sense because I know how messed up you and Jack are about each other."

Her mouth dropped open.

"Oh, did I say that? Sorry." He removed his glasses and rubbed his eyes, exhaling loudly.

"No you're not. Personal issues aside, I'm not a drinker and don't think it was something I ate. If anything, I think, I mean I feel like after . . ."

"What?" He glanced up with a hopeful look.

"Fifth was in my head." She hugged herself and shivered with revulsion. "But that's impossible, right? I mean there's no way he could?" Her eyes rounded at the prospect.

"Of course not. NORAD would have detected his ship, right?" Daniel's answering her question with another didn't help.

"Will you tell me what you think happened?" She watched his mind doing its logical and then psychological analysis.

"No."

"Why?" Frustrated she hugged her pitching stomach. Man, there wasn't anything left to toss.

"Because I'm not sure it really happened."

"Well that narrows it down. So we're either all crazy or under an alien influence," she surmised. "Where's the General?"

"Um, he left about ten minutes ago. Went home I assumed."

"Oh." She felt strange, melancholy and the nausea had returned, she also realized Jack had to be dying before he'd leave the complex on a regular duty day.

"So I guess botulism would be preferred?"

"Not necessarily." Sam held her waist and fled for the head.

~*~

Jack got sicker. Whatever bug he had couldn't leave his body fast enough. Trouble was it refused to obey. After a few more hours of dry heaves and diarrhea, weak and disorientated he gave in and called Teal'c. An hour later he was dozing in the infirmary with an IV stuck in his arm. He hated needles.

One bed over, Carter was in the same condition with an IV and fortunately asleep.

"Doctor Brightman said you and Colonel Carter are extremely dehydrated, O'Neill."

"Ya think." Jack groused with a hoarse voice and drifted off to Munchkin land, muttering, 'We represent the Lollipop Guild, the Lollipop Guild . . .'

~*~ Jack was not a happy camper. Nor was Sam. Daniel remained tight-lipped and between missions spent hours in his lab pouring over old books and even older tablets. What he did discover were more interesting facts about the 'Ancient Branding' ritual plus the physical, mental, and emotional transformations that occurred between the couple once the process was initiated. Each couple developed what was known as a bonding fever known as 'Fever Hy'yat' that could only be alleviated two ways, by love making or drinking plenty of fluids before they'd become dehydrated. Actually both solutions were highly recommended. Go figure.

Meanwhile, same old same old and some crappy new, erm um, whatever! Daniel really had started to think like Jack.

His next discovery proved disheartening. Unless an Ancient couple consummated their initial branding kiss by making love before the next full moon, their branding would dissolve and they would be attracted to others of the opposite sex-however for them to be completely unbranded, their emotional and physical desires had to be mutually severed. If not, they would continue to suffer the monthly 'Fever Hy'yat.' Which meant there was still hope, Daniel hoped. Because in the eight years he'd known Jack and Sam their feelings and sexual desires for each other had never waned, let alone been severed.

Anyhow, Jack ordered Daniel to tell what he knew happened that night at O'Malley's and afterward, but Daniel pleaded the fifth. Weird, how Fifth's name kept popping into their conversation.

Daniel was convinced something or someone had messed with three people's minds or his. He hadn't decided which, until Teal'c returned. Thankfully, it was not Daniel. Teal'c was more than knowledgeable about what had preceded that night's events. Now not only had Jack forgotten he and Sam had reunited before he went Ancient, now Sam had. And then there was the branding ritual, which Daniel assumed had happened. Had it backfired? It played out like some poorly scripted B movie. Just how many times could someone get amnesia?

Whatever happened after Daniel took Jack home that night, not only affected Jack but Sam and Pete as well. Not that Daniel had first-hand knowledge regarding Pete. After all, they'd not spoken since O'Malley's restroom. But Sam and Pete's courtship seemed on track. She displayed no knowledge she'd intended to break off with Pete and tell Jack she was still in love with him or remind him of the night they'd been together before he went Ancient. If Daniel didn't know better, Sam didn't remember that event either.

So whom could he and Teal'c tell? They thought to confront Sam and Jack with their findings, but Daniel feared it was his fault and didn't think much would be gained other than the wrath of his two best friends. First, he'd overloaded Jack's brain telling him more than he should have and then the entire Ancient DNA branding thing. Daniel put out a call to Thor and Loki. So far no one had dialed home.

Daniel was more than nervous.

He was scared.

~*~

CHAPTER FOUR

Six weeks later: 1830 Hours: O'Malley's Bar and Grill

Brooks and Dunn were broadcasting Jack O'Neill's love life in poetic detail over the restaurant speakers! How crappier could life get! Wait! Don't answer that!

'I don't stop breathing every time the phone rings My heart don't race when someone's at my door (Yes it does!) I've almost given up thinkin' you're ever gonna call I don't believe in magic anymore. (Nope, sure don't!)

I just don't lie awake at night Asking God would get you off my mind (Sure do) It's getting better all the time It's getting better all the time.

Yeah, I got to work on time again this morning This old job is all that I got to live (Ain't that the truth) And no one even noticed I'd been crying At least I don't have whisky on my breath. (True, I've been drinking less)

Yeah, I think I'm gonna make it 'Cause God won't make a mountain I can't climb (Well, that's up for grabs) It's getting better all the time It's getting better all the time.

God, I hope you're happy (That's all I want) Girl, I wish you well I just might get over you (When pigs fly) You can never tell.

I always thought that I'd do something crazy If ever saw you out with someone else (Wish I could remember) But when the moment came last night I couldn't say a word, I stood there in the dark all by myself.

Yeah, I could of said a million things All I did was keep it locked inside (That's me, Mister Reticent) It's getting better all the time It's getting better all the time.

It's getting better all the time...' (Doh! And Asgards eat Fruit Loops!)

~*~

He wasn't certain how long he'd been sitting in O'Malley's nursing a Guinness and Jack Daniels chaser, probably not as long those song lyrics echoed in his head. But then what did it matter, other than being the man at the SGC Jack O'Neill didn't have a life, at least not with Samantha Carter.

Not that the night was hopeless, of course. The only ray of sunshine in his life, Cassandra was meeting him, just running late as usual. They had intended to spend a few days at his cabin, but with spring finals breathing down her neck, Cassandra needed to study.

Even though he'd broken down and hired a lawn care and house cleaning service, Jack had spent most of his four day weekend contemplating why he paid sixty-bucks a month for lawn care when he had more dandelions in his lawn than grass. And then there was the thirty-bucks an hour housekeeper from Mediocre Maids, who didn't know how to clean a toilet bowl, not to mention scrub the bathroom tiles! By the time he gotten done gardening and cleaning, he was too bone weary to drive to Minnesota, let alone, book a flight for one flipping day at his cabin. So he'd been bumming around town, trying to avoid returning to an empty house that despite how much disinfectant he used, still smelled of Carter.

The other issue Jack managed to tap-dance around was that he and Carter had made it through another hellish week of wanting to engage in wild monkey sex, along with that stupid low-grade fever that elevated whenever they invaded each other's personal space. Testing Daniel theory on what the linguist called 'Fever Hy'yat' Jack sent SG-1 off world for that week. Jack's horniness had eased up, as did the fever, but the moment Carter returned they'd endured a full day of cold showers. Come Monday whatever weird sex bug had bitten them appeared to have run it's short warped lifecycle. They were back to normal. Now Jack just lusted for Carter every hour instead of every minute. Crap!

Expelling a sigh, he stared at the menu he knew by heart. Twenty minutes ago he had settled into a rear booth where he could watch the local patrons, and spot Cassandra's arrival. Jack unconsciously went down his personal laundry list. He still played poker with his neighbors twice a month, attended hockey and high-school football and basketball games, but that was the present extent of extra curricular activities. That along with his telescope dates weather permitting.

Not too long ago, he would have been playing pool with Daniel or Teal'c, but they had gotten lives. Screw them! Everyone had a life, but Jack O'Neill. Yep, since becoming the 'man' his former social life had been flushed down the crapper. No more team nights out, chess with Daniel, teaching Teal'c how to fish, or musical movie marathons that included Daniel dancing on Jack's coffee table. Red Jell-O versa blue Jell-O debates with Carter. Playing footsy with her under the Briefing Room table, not to mention lap-hand games, which meant her keeping his hand out of her lap. Yeah! Ah, whom was he kidding? Jack's hand hadn't been in Carter's lap in a good two years!

Still, it was the little things he missed. Where had it all gone wrong? And why was he sitting in of all places, O'Malley's, alone without Sam, why was he torturing himself? He'd not been here since something supposedly happened between him, Sam and Pete. He wished he could remember!

In the booth behind him, two young women were drinking and talking. Occasionally, Jack's ears would perk-up out of boredom, not to mention their naughty giggles. They were at it again. He grinned over his beer.

"Yeah, I was watching Discovery Channel and they had these scientists who believe that men who are symmetrically perfect are the best lovers. They have and give the best orgasms, and are more likely to get a woman pregnant. So we need to get our hands on that gray wolf ahead of us."

"You wanna get pregnant?" the other asked gulping on a drink and snorting.

"Course not. I just want great sex!" More laughter.

"So how ya know he's symmetrically perfect?"

"Coz, he's tall, lean, proportionate. Obviously works out. He's over forty, but-"

"Yeah, got a whiff of him when we walked by. Yummy." Another round of giggling. "Besides, over forty means he's had plenty of experience between the sheets."

'In our dreams.' Jack snorted. 'Symmetrically perfect? What a line of bull.' But nice to know he still had his mojo. Ah, women. Jack O'Neill wasn't dead from the waist down yet! Not counting these two, he'd been hit on twice since he entered O'Malley's and all were head turners but weren't Sam.

Sam! Even before Jack heard her sweet laughter, he sensed her presence, and if possible, inhaled her. She filed through the main entrance with another couple. Jack peered across the expanse of tables, booths, pool tables and dance floor. She was with her brother Mark and his wife Connie. No Pete! Excellent!

Jack drank in every minuscule detail of Samantha Carter. From the clinging scooped-neck blue sweater to the fitted black skirt slit up her right leg and creamy white thigh. His hungry gaze returned to where her sun kissed hair swept back to expose her flawless heart-shaped face. Her lips were coral frosted and her blue eyes flickered with a secret light. She looked happy. Jack's heart went to his throat and refused to dislodge.

He couldn't breathe!

Inhale.

Exhale.

'Dearest Lord, she's so beautiful!' Jack felt the internal fire warming his face and racing through his body southward. Geez, he thought he'd finally gotten a handle on whatever had been messing with their sexual chemistry. Obviously not! Though the blood in his veins froze as the hostess escorted the threesome toward his booth.

Frick! The hostess sat them in the large circular booth directly across from him. How the heck was he going to . . .?

"General O'Neill?"

Doh! Jack glanced over as Carter had turned in her seat and appearing not the least bit startled, smiled at him. Why did he suspect she'd known he'd been here? 'She probably spotted your truck, moron!'

"Carter?" his voice bottomed out as he feigned surprise and like a drunk lifted his bottle, then nodded at Mark and Connie. Mark never did like him. But Connie had been more than pleasant. She'd made no bones she thought he and Sam should get it on romantically. Yeah. Sure. If only.

The couple glanced at Sam and then Connie said something to her. Sam shook her head no. That gave him a gut ache. She finally nodded yes and turned to him.

"Sir, if you're alone, why don't you join us?" she asked sincerely.

'Great! Just what I need is 'Let's all feel sorry for Jack,' invite.'

He glanced at his watch, wondering where Cassie was. "That's quite all right. You're with family and," he was about to say no, when the demon on his shoulder said, "Sure, why not." Was that regret or relief skittering across Sam's shimmering blue eyes? He'd soon find out.

Beer in hand, Jack stood and told the waiter he'd be sitting with the Carter party. He sauntered over to them and gestured with his beer. "Actually, Cassandra and I have a dinner date." He couldn't believe he'd said date. Hey, why not a date, meeting, dinner engagement with his daughter? That was cool. Right?

"Well, this is odd." Sam made a face. "Coz, she's supposed to meet me at eight pm."

Connie giggled.

"Guess we were setup, Sam. Knowing Cass, she won't show. Remember the last time . . ." 'Did he say that?'

Sam gulped lots of air and then blew it out her compressed lips.

'Yep, he did!' Jack unconsciously mimicked Sam's exhaling gesture, but with his warbling snort of disgust reserved for the Goa'uld. Shit!

Mark and Connie stared curiously.

Sam glared knowingly.

Jack swatted an invisible fly. "I meant it's been awhile since we've gone out together . . .er um," he cringed. "The three of us," he motioned at Sam's crimson hue, "Cassie, Carter, me-together." He held up three fingers. "Well, I'm just saying . . ." 'Just shoot me!'

"I think it's sweet of Cassandra. I'm sure she'll be surprised that Mark and I dropped into town." Connie saved the day.

Avoiding everyone's gaze, Sam scooted further into the booth and Jack slid in beside her leaving adequate space between them. While Mark and Connie were practically in each other's lap, which left a huge gap between the couples.

"Hey, stop it!" Connie teased her husband, who winked and then looked over at Jack.

"Glad to see you, General O'Neill." Mark acknowledged. "You remember my wife, Connie." He put a possessive arm around his petite wife.

"Sure do." Jack nodded and extended his hand over the table. "Good to see you both again, and its Jack to, you folks."

"Okay, Jack." Connie smiled warmly when he shook her hand. "I just don't get why Sam has to call you sir or General all the time, even off base."

Sam coughed and glanced at the menu she held to her face. "Because it's proper military protocol, Con, a sign of respect. The General is my commanding officer."

"Oh." Connie's pretty features crinkled with confusion.

When Jack purposely didn't add anything, Sam set down her menu and avoiding his inquiring expression, explained to her sister-in-law with a curt tone meant for Jack. "In the military a subordinate needs permission to be informal. Just like General O'Neill addresses Dad-."

"As Dad or Jacob. Long before I got promoted to General, Jacob let me call him Dad, but that was his equitable decision and-" Sam pinched Jack's thigh-hard. Ow! He winced and eyeballed her a moment. "I do, however, wish to clarify that years ago I gave Samantha permission to call me Jack off duty. But you know Sam with rules and regulations. She's such a good little soldier." He gestured to pat her but Sam's deadly glower stopped him.

"Do we ever." Mark grinned at Sam and didn't seem to notice the tension between her and Jack.

"Yep, that's my Colonel by the book no matter what. Never breaks the regs."

Another pinch and twist! That did it. He snatched her offending hand and set it on her lap, allowing his fingers to rest where the skirt's slit fell open against her bare thigh. Wow, no pantyhose. He felt her tense beneath his lingering touch. Her skin felt satiny smooth and hot! So was he-hot!

"For the rest of the weekend I'm making it an order, Carter. I'm calling you, Sam-Samantha and you're calling me Jack." He waggled a brow daring her to defy him. Instead felt her nails scrap across the top of his hand before prying it off of her thigh. He let her.

"But si-"

"Nah ah!" He flagged a pointer finger. "Don't argue with your CO."

Connie laughed, while Mark sat back with a brooding air that warned Jack to watch his six, if that was possible.

~*~

Cassandra Fraiser had yet to show.

Connie Carter watched the restrained but defined interaction of her sister-in-law and Jack O'Neill with the analytical mind of a marriage counselor and the heart of a woman.

The earlier strain between the two had long dissolved. Now everything about them was remarkably refreshing. Sam and Jack were so in tune that Connie swore they were a couple or for that matter, married for as long as she and Mark, which was nearing twenty years. She noted how within minutes, they'd physically gravitated toward each other. They were practically in each other's lap. Because of his long legs Jack had assumed a casual pose, his left arm draped over the booth's back, hand cradling Sam's shoulder in a familiar way with which she seemed comfortable. And whenever possible she'd leaned into his hand as if seeking reassurance. For what, Connie wasn't sure. Meanwhile, Jack responded with the slight squeeze of his lean fingers. Touch was most definitely an intricate part of their complicated relationship.

Connie noticed something else unique about their unspoken dialogue. She'd only seen it in a few older couples, but never anything this complex. Sam and Jack had developed an intimate sign language. And it was not Morris Code. Yet when Jack tapped his fingers on the table, Sam responded positively or negatively. But she always responded, even tapping herself upon occasion. When Jack reacted Connie knew it wasn't one-sided. Amazing!

Then there were their exchanged looks and expressions, especially Jack's. The General was a man of many facades. Some of them were blatantly in your face. Others expressions barely detectable, but Sam seemed to read him like a book. And the same applied to her. Jack knew his former second in command in a very intimate way. Which made Connie wonder if they'd ever broken the military code of fraternization. If they hadn't physically, they had unquestionably done so in their hearts.

Connie glanced at her husband who stared dumbfounded when Sam laughed and snorted at another not so hilarious joke, Jack just told. She studied Sam's radiant countenance and generous smile. A smile that touched her brilliant blue eyes and a smile only Jack O'Neill could extort.

As different as they were, Jack and Sam complimented each other. For instance, Jack ordered Sam's meal and 'Ms. I Am Air Force' didn't bat an eye. Not because she wasn't capable or he was her CO, but because she trusted him. Jack knew she liked her steak medium-rare with mushrooms and not just any mushrooms, no. Shiitake mushrooms in a light red wine sauce with garlic mashed potatoes on the side.

Jack was about to order a shrimp pasta dish when Sam reminded him that he got sick on it last year. So he ordered stuffed pork-chops and groused she'd better not eat his stuffing. As if oblivious to Connie and Mark's presence, Sam teased he would have to eat fast, and then pinched him somewhere Connie preferred not to imagine. But did.

Flinching from her physical barb, Jack muttered, "What's good for the goose is good for the gander, Sam." They laughed and then started heckling each other nonstop. Their issues ranged from fishing, a hand-crocheted Homer Simpson something or another, Jack sleeping with a plastic white bowl, to arm-wrestling remarks that Connie and from the look on Mark's face, were clueless about.

The sexual sparkage between them wore Connie down! She had seen Sam with Pete on several occasions and never once had Sam looked this radiant and happy. Jack O'Neill might be older than Connie preferred for her sister-in-law, but there was no denying their chemistry was magic. And more apparent, they were in love!

No wonder Cassandra was trying to set them up. And from Mark's tight expression, Connie and Cassandra weren't the only ones aware of with whom Samantha was in love. So why was she dating dull, but nice Pete Shanahan? If it was just the military regulations, why oh, why, hadn't one of them done something about it! Connie intended to find out!

~*~

CHAPTER FIVE

Mark and Sam were dancing. Jack wished he were holding Sam and waltzing to the romantic music. At least it wasn't Pete. Of whom no one had yet to mention. Not that Jack was complaining.

"I'm glad they're getting along again." Connie toyed with her desert and glanced at Jack's pensive expression.

"Um, yeah, right. Me too." He snapped back to reality and sat straighter realizing he'd been staring at Sam and zoning.

"Any immediate family with the O'Neill clan?"

"No. Not living. Just some uncles and cousins, but we keep in touch." He pinched a smile.

"So Doctor Jackson, Murray, Cassandra and Sam are your family now."

"Guess so," he said evasively, glanced at his cell-phone and frowned. Dang, he'd left Cassandra two messages, each one a little more annoying. He'd finally plugged into her head, but even that seemed to have a busy signal. Where was that girl!

"Sam said you called the team your kids."

'Yes, well," Jack grimaced. "Things have changed since I became base commander. Everyone's moving on, getting lives. But long as my kids are happy. I'm happy." He sensed sympathy in her brown gaze. He didn't want pity!

"And what about your happiness?"

"Excuse me?"

"It doesn't have to be this way, ya know." She glanced at the dance floor and his gaze tracked to where Sam and Mark danced. They were talking. He wondered about what? Dad? Him? Pete?

"Sam's crazy about you, Jack."

"Whatchaya talking about?" He traced his middle finger in the watermark on the table. He couldn't believe he'd taken her bait.

"You and Samantha."

He almost put his neck out turning to face the pretty brunette. "Look, Connie, I don't know what you think's going on. But there's no way, me and Sam . . .I'm her CO, for crying out loud!"

"And I'm a marriage counselor, Jack."

"Yeah, she told me." His gut began to ache and he glanced around like a cornered rabbit.

"So'd she tell you, I deal with dysfunctional relationships?"

"Well, no. Hey," he turned defensive. "You saying Carter and me are dysfunctional?"

"Actually, no."

"Well that's a relief!" Had he just agreed that he and Sam were a couple? Double crap!

"In fact you guys are one of the most amazing examples of a functional relationship I've ever seen. It's just . . ." She sighed out and looked away.

"What?" The bleat seeped out of his voice. What was wrong with him! Why did he give a rat's ass what this woman thought he and Sam supposedly had?

"To be honest, I'm detecting a huge wall of pretense and avoidance of feelings between you two-"

"Wooo! Look, Connie, I appreciate your candor, but-" 'The sheer audacity of the woman!'

"Let's dance." She stood and offered her hand.

"Um, I'm not-" Before the protest left his lips, she'd snatched his wrist and dragged him to the dance floor. Jack was pretty sure it wasn't his idea to dance with Mark's wife, but she proved light on her feet and fortunately, didn't say another word about him and Sam.

"You're an excellent dancer, Jack."

"Thanks." He gave a curt smile and looked past her to where Sam was tripping over Mark's feet. Jack grinned recalling a similar situation eight years back when Sam and Daniel had danced on this very floor and he'd cut in.

He felt Connie's assessing gaze. The woman glanced at the sibling couple and groaned. "We should rescue Sam."

"I don't think that's a . . ." Connie led him with unusual strength and then tossed him into Sam's arms, "good idea." He glanced down at an equally stunned Sam.

Connie yanked Mark's arm. "Come on, Mr. Two Left Feet, stomp on my dogs for awhile." And she led Mark into the next dance.

"So." Jack stared at Sam while his right arm gravitated around her waist to her back and his left hand reached for hers.

"So." She worried her lower lip. "We don't have to-" She glanced at their booth.

"No. I'm fine. Unless you'd rather-?" He felt his facial muscles spasm and tried to relax.

"No!" Sam interlaced her fingers through his and they began to dance. Jack's heart raced so fast he thought he was having the big one. At least he'd die happy.

"This is kinda awkward." She said against his chest.

"Yeah, it's getting there." Still he drew her closer. Couldn't help it. Didn't want to. Sam didn't resist and they held each other's tentative gaze. "You are beautiful, Sam." The words left his mouth before he could recant them. "So hot!"

She choked and then sputtered, "Really?" Blushing under his sensual gaze.

"Yeah."

"Wow!"

"You are hot, Babe." He winked suggestively. And then a song, neither had heard in ages wafted on the air like the ghostly spirit of Christmas past, a reminder of what they'd had lost and needed to find . . . their way back home.

'I know it's been some time But there's something on my mind You see I haven't been the same Since that cold November day We said we needed space But all we found was an empty place And the only things I learned Is that I need you desperately So here I am And can you please tell me . . . (oh)'

In sync, they looked into each other's eyes, long, hungry, hurting gazes that said more than words. They were two broken hearts trying to find their way back to each other. Again.

'Where do broken hearts go Can they find their way home Back to the open arms Of a love that's waiting there And if somebody loves you Won't they always love you I look in your eyes And I know that you still care for me'

Neither one's feet moved as they slipped from the formal dance stance to an intimate embrace. Jack's arms lowered, his hands drifting down the slender contour of Sam's ribs to encircle her waist and urge her nearer. Sam complied, her hands latching around the tensed cords of his neck while her fingers caressed his short nape hairs. Her touch was so electrifying it hurt.

'I've been around enough to know That dreams don't turn to gold'

Swaying in sync, the lyrics exposed their hearts to each other and to the world. Jack longed to cradle her delicate face as he used to, and dip his head to brush his lips over hers, to taste what had long been denied him and would be forever if she married Pete. 'Tell her, you fool! Just say those three words . . .'

'And that there is no easy way No you just can't run away And what we had was so much more Than we ever had before

'And no matter how I try You're always on my mind So here I am And can you please tell me (oh)'

Sam's body shuddered against him, her fingers bit through the fabric of his shirt and into his shoulder blades as she held on for dear life. Was she crying? He pulled back and gazed down to see her eyes glistening with unshed tears that broke his heart and shattered his defenses. "I'm sorry, Sam." He whispered into her hair. She sucked another sobbing breath.

'And now that I am here with you I'll never let you go I look into your eyes And now I know, now I know

And if somebody loves you Won't they always love you I look in your eyes And I know that you still care . . .for me You still care for me . . .'

"Geez, Sam, I wish things were different, wish-" he gently caressed her stiff spine in the soothing way he knew she liked. You knew how much I love you!

"Forever okay. I'm here for you, Sam. Forever and for always . . ." And then she bolted from his arms toward the restroom. Jack stood there watching her retreat and knowing he had no right to pursue her.

~*~

Cassandra Fraiser-O'Neill stood in the shadows of O'Malley's watching her mother's quick exit from the dance floor. Gosh golly! That's not how it was supposed to go down. This was their song, their chance to make it right! She glanced at her father as he scrubbed his hands over his face and into his short gray hair. Cass caught the painful longing in his eyes before he donned his trademark O'Neill cynical expression. What was she going to do with him? With Mom? How could two people so desperately in love, be so messed up! 'God help her? No, help them? Please?'

~*~

In the women's restroom, Sam splashed water on her flushed face. What had just happened? Who'd selected their song? She'd not heard it since the night she'd gotten snookered right here at O'Malley's. The night Jack came and took her home, bathed her, put her to bed and slept with her. He'd held her close and let her babble about only heaven knows what, but he had. She still didn't remember much about that night, but she did know he'd been there for her. Always.

Leaning against the coolness of the ceramic wall, Sam clenched and unclenched her fists in frustration. Every time she shut her eyes, she saw Jack's rugged, handsome, boyish face. How could one man be so multi-faceted? Jack O'Neill could be a kick-ass in your face CO one minute, and the next, deliver that mischievous lopsided mouthful of dimples that could charm the pants off a Goa'uld System Lord, not to mention his big mouth.

Oh yeah, she loved that big kissable mouth that was open more than it was shut. Even when not talking his lips remained slightly parted, as if he was on the verge of saying something or not. And his lisp was so maddening sexy, especially when he used it on her. "Samantha." She heard him in her head.

Sam's vulnerable recap settled on Jack's eyes. They weren't big blue eyes like Pete. No, they were deep-set, mysteriously dark and sultry. And with his long brown lashes well, sometimes, when he shut his eyes, she had to fight the temptation to reach up and kiss those lashes, to feel their silky texture beneath her lips. Sam only had to revisit their last embrace to remember how it felt to have those lashes brushing her face and neck as her fingers threaded through his natural bed-head hair. Why was she going through her O'Neill laundry list-again?

Oh, Sam knew ever scar, crease, and laugh line on Jack O'Neill's craggy face and muscle-lean body, including the one below his chin that few noticed. But she knew it was there, because she'd given it to him. Though she still didn't remember when or how, she just knew she was responsible. Because he'd said she was. Either that or he was lying, but then that was one thing he didn't do with her. No, Jack didn't lie. Just like he'd not lied out there on the dance floor about how he felt for her.

So what was with her hormones going amuck around him again? It wasn't even that time of the month. Man, oh, man, he looked hot, acted hot. Felt hot! Made her hot! And where was Pete?? It'd been over two hours! Not that she missed him and that was the problem. She should. Right?

Sam tried to compose herself and stared at her flushed complexion. "Face it, Sam. You don't want Pete here. This is the best time you've had in ages. Ever since, oh, why can't I remember the last good time I had with Pete? Because they fail to compare to being with Jack, that's why."

"Sam?" Connie poked her wavy brown head into the bathroom's lounge. "You okay?"

"Yeah. Sure." Sam pulled herself together and turned to smile at her sister-in-law.

"You gotta see this, Sam. Cassandra's here. She and Jack are line dancing! I laughed so hard I almost wet my panties. They're really good. That man can dance!"

"I know." Sam forced a smile. "Um, I'll be right there."

"Okay. They are like two of a kind. I don't know who's worse. Just like father and daughter . . ." And then Sam started crying.

"Hey!" Connie came to her side and putting her arm around Sam drew her to the loveseat. "What's wrong, honey?"

"Everything!"

"Yeah, figured that out awhile ago."

"Huh?" Sam grabbed a tissue from the tissue box and blew.

"Look, sis. We've become pretty close these last five years, right?"

"Erm, sure, especially since Janet died. Yeah, you've been there for me, Con."

"Good. So can I be candid with you?"

"You always are." Sam wiped her damp eyes and blew.

"Well, not like I'd like to be. Mark keeps telling me it's none of my business and I suppose he's right. But I love you, Sam, and I want you to be happy."

"Hey, I am happy! Just been a stressful week at work and well, I'm PMSing big time." 'Liar!'

"That's not what I'm talking about." Connie gently directed Sam's face to hers.

"Huh?"

"After being married to a Carter for nearly twenty years, I've begun to think and talk like one. So I won't pull any punches. You're not in love with Pete."

"What! That's nuts. Insane. Of course, I'm in love with Pete."

Connie just looked at her. "It would appear you plan to make the biggest mistake of your life if you ask me."

"I didn't ask!" Sam stiffened.

"Sam. For the last three hours I've been watching you and Jack."

"Con-"

She held up a hand. "Let me finish and then I'll shut up and never bring it up again--maybe!"

Sam begrudgingly nodded. No doubt she needed to hear a few words of wisdom from another woman.

"That fifty something General dancing his heart out like a twenty-year old is crazy about you, Sam! I don't ever recall Mark looking at me the way Jack looks at you. It's almost like there's some spiritual bond between you two. Like you're each other's godsend."

Sam opened her mouth but Connie waved her hand in reprimand. "Not done yet! Mark and I have suspected for sometime that you two were in love. But the regulations you both highly respect and your present roles at the mountain keep you from acting on those feelings. I don't know what's gone down between now and then but I was shocked when you started dating Pete. Don't get me wrong, Pete's okay, but he's not Jack O'Neill, Sam. So why are you settling for less?"

"Now wait just one minute!"

"No!" Connie was in her face. "I see the way you look at him. The way you finish each other's sentences. You two have history, Sam. And I can only imagine what it all entails. That man loves you and you are breaking his heart!"

"Enough!" Sam shot to her feet and got in Connie's face, "Jack O'Neill shoved me out of his personal life, long ago! And when he took the position as base CO he made it perfectly clear we have no future together! That's why I'm with Pete."

Connie didn't back down. "You so sure, Sam? Did it ever occur that since you were already dating Pete, Jack believed you'd made your choice and it wasn't him?"

Sam swallowed hard and stared at her wise sister-in-law.

"Think about it, Sam. Mark and I want you happy and from where I'm standing, you're the most miserable woman in the world. And the happiness your heart really wants is out on that dance floor, making a fool out of himself over you. Geez, Sam, do you have any idea how many women would die for a man like Jack O'Neill?" With that, Connie turned and walked out of the bathroom's lounge.

"Yeah, Connie, I do."

~*~

CHAPTER SIX

Breathless, Jack swung Cassandra one last time before his knee buckled. "Ow!" He flinched in pain as he hobbled with her assistance back to the booth.

"You okay, Dad?" Cassandra's concerned voice made him smile.

"Sure, Sunshine, just need to lay off the leg awhile. That's all."

When Connie went to the bar for an ice pack, Mark donned a concerned but wry expression. "That's why I stick to waltzes and the twist, Jack."

"Funny." Jack smiled at the younger man, and then noticed Sam coming their way. Her fair features were pale and her blue eyes appeared red. She had been crying!

"Si . . Jack, you okay?" She knelt beside Cassandra and touched his knee through his tan khakis.

"For the second time, yes. Just aches a little."

"Ahh, Dad, its swollen pretty good. You really need to have this taken care of."

"Look, Ms. Pre-pre-med, I've had enough scopes and scrapings to start a calcium bank. No one is poking around in my knee again!"

"Whatever." She snickered and grinned up at him.

Jack grinned back.

"You really need to get home, Jack." Sam advised.

"Sam that's twice you called him, Jack."

"Yes, well, he made it an order for tonight."

"The weekend." Jack corrected.

"Cool!" Cassandra hugged Sam, who hugged her back.

It was after ten pm and Joe was setting up for Karaoke Night. Jack was relieved he'd be leaving soon, because the last thing he needed was to listen to wannabe singers who didn't even sound good in the shower. To his dismay, Cassandra got all excited and he noticed her talking to the one of the men setting up the sound equipment.

Sitting back at their booth Jack started sucking down bottled water, as did Sam. They'd both grown quiet and had barely talked since their emotional dance. Meanwhile, Mark and Connie were quickly fading and opted to drive Sam's car to her place and crash in the guestroom, with Jack and Cassandra assuring them, Sam would get home.

Cassandra did her pretty please whining routine and convinced Jack and Sam to stay until she preformed a song. She had a pretty good voice and he'd taught her to play the guitar, not to mention she'd sung in the high school choir and a few musicals at school.

After two singers who thankfully would remain forgetful and nameless, Cassandra took the stage.

"Jack?" Sam looked at him nervously, no doubt wondering what the teen had up her sleeve.

"Look," he avoided their mutual concern. "No matter what she does, we smile and applaud." He reasoned trying to un-scrunch his facial muscles.

"Of course." Sam smiled. "Just wish Janet could see this."

"I've always believed there are windows in Heaven." He winked.

Cassandra took the handheld microphone. "This song is dedicated to the two people I love most in this world and who just need a huge nudge. I hope you two bullheads get it."

"Oy!" Jack braced in his seat and felt Sam tense up beside him. As the familiar Melissa Manchester music started he stole a glance at Sam, who was looking everywhere but at him. Talk about awkward.

'She's so very nice you should break the ice Let her know that she's on your mind Whatcha tryin' to hide when you know inside She's the best thing you'll ever find? Ahh, can't you see it? Don't you think she's feeling the same? Ahh, I guarantee it, She's the one that's calling your name'

"Really?" Jack whispered in Sam's ear.

She blushed and nodded.

"Sweet!"

'You should hear how she talks about you, You should hear what she says She says she would be lost without you, She's half out of her head (out of her head) You should hear how she talks about you, She just can't get enough. She says she would be lost without you She is really in love.'

Cassandra pointed at Jack and said, "She's in love with you boy!"

Flustered, Jack wanted to crawl under the table, which meant encountering Sam's beautiful naked legs. Now there was a novel idea! Except his knee would hate him for it in the morning. Sensing his emotional distress, Sam placed her hand on his ice-packed, draped knee. He tentatively laced his fingers through hers and his blush turned to a smile.

'I ain't tellin' tales, anybody else Could repeat the things that I've heard She's been talkin' sweet and it's on the street How our girlfriend's spreadin' the word

Ahh, you should hurry, You should let her know how you feel Ahh, now don't you worry If you're scared her love is for real'

Sam and Jack smiled intimately at each other. He wanted to kiss her but like all things in their warped relationship that wasn't about to happen.

'You should hear how she talks about you, You should hear what she says She says she would be lost without you, She's half out of her head (out of her head) You should hear how she talks about you, She is really in love (She is really in love)

Talk, talk, talk, talk, talk, talk, talk, talk, talk, talk

Can'tcha see? (Can'tcha see?) It's me!'

Cassandra pointed at Sam, who turned her flushed face to Jack's shoulder!

'Oh, what she said, what she said . . .'

~*~

The stranger hovered in the shadows of O'Malley's watching the young woman on stage sing her heart out for one particular couple. Anger, rage and jealousy heated his blood as he tried to stay focused. Nine months into this mission he couldn't back out. Too much was a stake. Besides he valued his life. He just hadn't planned on falling for the mark. Well, he was a firm believer that he could have his cake and eat it too. That old man didn't know it, but his lopsided smirk was about to be wiped off of his face for good!

After Cassandra finished the chorus she got a huge round of applause and took a bow, but not before winking at her parents who were discreetly trying to blend into the woodwork. Cass knew she'd taken a chance performing this song where SGC personal hung out. She also hoped Dad or Mom didn't hurt her, but could already hear the wheels turning in Dad's Ancient head. Yeah sure yabetcha, her credit card was about to get axed. No matter, a smile split Cassandra's face. Holy Hannah, it'd been worth it!

~*~

Throughout the night Jack had kept tabs on O'Malley's patrons. Unless he'd missed someone, there'd not been a soul from the SGC. Meanwhile, he was contemplating the most efficient way to penalize his daughter. After conspiring with Sam, they'd agreed to drop her credit card limit to a thousand bucks for the rest of the year! A grin split his countenance. Sam grinned back.

By now the aspirins and icepack had kicked in and Jack figured he could drive. But Sam and Cassandra refused him because he'd have to use the clutch. Jack had intended for Cass to bunk at his place, so Sam offered to drive so Cass could drive her own car to his house.

Still no mention of Pete! Yes. Jack was starting to see light at the end of the tunnel. God was good!

~*~ 2330 Hours

Cassandra had left. Jack excused himself to visit the head while Sam waited by the rear exit door. Jack was rehearsing his conversation for the twenty-five minute drive home. Somehow, someway he had to reconcile with Sam. And if that went well, he was calling in one of those markers with President Hayes. He and Sam belonged together and tonight he was going to lay it on the line. He felt nauseous and giddy at the same time. Was that possible?

~*~

Thanks to Cassandra's public prodding, Sam's stomach was in her throat. This was it! She had to tell Jack how she felt. Tonight. Sink or swim. Because if she didn't do it while she had the nerve, it wouldn't happen. She'd just settle back into her comfortable routine with Pete who was stuck in Denver with work related issues. Still, she suspected he had marriage on the brain and she needed to nip that in the bud quick. No way could she marry Pete, not after what had happened between her and Jack tonight. All she needed was a plan to give him back his ring.

Jack's sexy lisped declaration played over and over her head. "You're beautiful, Sam. So hot! Forever okay. I'll be here for you. Forever and for always." They both knew what 'forever okay' meant. He still loved her! Always!

"Sam!"

She jumped at the sound of that familiar voice.

"Gosh, Hon, I'm sorry. I tried to get away earlier, but hey, I'm here now!" He swept her into his arms and hugged her.

Sam pushed gently but firmly away. "Pete?" She blinked again, praying he wasn't real. But his goofy little boy smile was just inches from her face.

"Hey, aren't you glad to see me?" He touched her cheek with a hurt look.

"Of course I . . .I just didn't expect . . ." He started to lead her to the front door.

"I was so afraid I'd miss you, but Mark said you were still here."

"He um did?" The louse! She glanced toward the men's restroom but didn't spot Jack-yet.

"Yeah." He turned her into his arms and smiled. "Hey, you alright?"

"Sure." She gave a quick smile, eyes skirting the patrons. 'Please, God, don't let Jack see . . .' And then Pete kissed her!

~*~

A shit ass grin on his face, Jack limped out of the restroom and glanced toward the rear exist. 'Um, no, Sam. Maybe she's gone to start the truck.' The keys rattled in his pocket, nope. He was about to walk to where they'd been seated when he saw 'them' locked in an embrace.

Sam was kissing Pete! What the f*@+!

Jack wished he had his 9mil revolver. Usually he did. 'Yeah right, you're going to blow some guy's brains out because he's Sam's boyfriend and is kissing her in public and from the looks of it, she doth not protest!'

Bile backwashed into Jack's throat, and that other stupid song played . . . again . . .while in quiet desperation Jack watched the woman he loved kiss another man.

'I always thought that I'd do something crazy If ever saw you out with someone else But when the moment came last night I couldn't say a word, I stood there in the dark all by myself.'

'Yeah, I could of said a million things All I did was keep it locked inside It's getting better all the time It's getting better all the time . . .'

Picking up his trampled pride and battered heart Jack limped along the shadows, out the front door and out of Samantha Carter's life. Forever and for always!

~*~

Desperate, Sam broke free of Pete's embrace.

"Hey, what's wrong, Babe?" Pete fumbled as she sped for the back door. With Pete on her heels, Sam hightailed it through the door and into the cool spring's night to see Jack climbing into his truck.

As if sensing her there, Jack turned and called out as he started the engine, "Have a good life, Carter." Then putting his foot to the floor he burned rubber.

Sam's heart plunged to her feet. For all that mattered, he could have said, "See you Monday, Carter." But she knew that's not what he meant. It was over!

"Hey, Sam." Pete, fortunately just saw Jack's taillights. "What's up?"

"Nothing!" Sam spat and immediately felt guilty as he looked at her with those hurtful drooping eyes. "Sorry, just thought it was someone I knew. I was wrong." She walked toward the bar and grill. "Very wrong."

"Hey, Babe, if Mark's got your car how'd you expect to get home?"

"Knew you'd show," she lied berating herself. Still, she didn't want to be alone with her morbid thoughts of what ifs. "Pete, please do me a huge favor?"

"Anything." He eased his arm around her and she leaned into him for support.

"Do not ever call me, Babe!"

~*~ Part 2 of Part 16 'Forever And For Always' to follow.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to HailDorothy