Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

It'll Be Fine

by Magicsunbeam
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
It'll Be Fine

by magicsunbeam

TITLE: It'll Be Fine
AUTHOR: magicsunbeam
EMAIL: magicsunbeam@ntlworld.com
CATEGORY: Drama, Hurt/Comfort
PAIRING: Jack/Sara
SPOILERS: none given
SEASON / SEQUEL: any
RATING: G
CONTENT WARNINGS: none
SUMMARY: After an accident, Daniel sets out to discover what is really bothering Jack.
STATUS: Complete
ARCHIVE: Heliopolis
DISCLAIMER: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. We have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the authors. Not to be archived without permission of the authors.
AUTHOR'S NOTES: Once AGAIN, thanx Mary Badger, your words of wisdom are, as always, are gratefully received. J.

"You didn't hear a word of that, did you?"

The voice was only mildly accusing.

Jack O'Neill glanced up at the man stood before him.

"Sorry Daniel. No I didn't." He admitted, and looked back down at his boots.

Daniel stopped what he was doing and sat down on the rock next to his friend.

"You want to talk about it, Jack"? He asked softly.

Hesitating for only a microsecond, Jack shook his head and smiled.

"Nothing to talk about Daniel." Jack picked up the camera next to him and began fiddling with it.

After taking a moment to study Jacks face, Daniel stood up and turned back to the burial chamber wall, worry nagging at him. Jack had been very quiet for the last week or so, even Sam had commented about the Colonels lack of sarcasm. It was very obvious something *was* bothering him but getting it out of him was going to be a whole new ball game.

Eventually Jack put the camera down, climbed to his feet and began to walk around the vast room, peering at the hieroglyphics. Soon bored with that, he wandered off along a passageway taking him deeper into the temple. He had no sooner reached the end when the ground began to shake beneath his feet. He grabbed and held onto the wall, trying to keep his balance, as the tremors deepened.

"Daniiiieeel.... what did you touch"? He shouted back along the passage to the archaeologist.

Daniel was looking round wildly, trying to figure out if some sort of ancient booby trap had been triggered.

"I didn't touch anything Jack, I swear..."

Just then, Jacks radio crackled to life.

"Colonel O'Neill, respond." Sam's panicked voice came through.

"We're okay, Major."

Sam continued. "Colonel, you know that volcano? The one way up the valley? The one that was, according to the experts, safe for now and wasn't going to blow for a few weeks? Well, it just did Sir."

As if to confirm her statement, the volcano let out another mighty roar, causing the ground to shake even harder, breaking loose bits of the temples ceiling.

"Dammit! Daniel, get out of here!" Jack yelled, already running back along the passageway to the chamber. As he ran, the ceiling began to rain down. Dodging and weaving his way through fallen masonry, Jack only just reached the room as the passage began to collapse behind him.

Daniel was grabbing equipment and trying to stuff it into his pack as Jack took his arm and began pushing him toward the tunnel that would take them outside.

"Now Daniel, I meant get out of here NOW!" He yelled.

The two men ran for their lives along the tunnel, narrowly missing huge chunks of rock as it thundered down. Jack swerved as part of the ceiling collapsed at his feet, slowing him down.

Daniel raced out into the sunlight. Coughing and spluttering, as a result of the dust that had filled his lungs. Sam and Teal'c each took an arm and half dragged him away from the collapsing structure. Sam turned back, expecting to see the colonel running from the temple. Instead, all she saw was a huge dust cloud rising from what used to be the doorway.

Unable to get any closer for falling stone, Teal'c and Sam could only watch and wait.

After the rocks had stopped falling, Teal'c cautiously approached the temple. As he reached the doorway he noticed a very still form heaped on the floor, just outside. Recognising the body as Jack's, he rushed forward.

"Major Carter, Colonel O'Neill is here." He called over his shoulder.

Between them, Sam and Teal'c managed to pull the unconscious colonel clear of the fallen debris. Sam immediately checking for a pulse, sighed with relief as she found a strong, steady one.

Covered in dust, the only colour in the colonel's face was the red that came from the nasty cut just below the hairline on his forehead.

"Is he okay"? A shaken Daniel asked.

"We need to get him back to the SGC, Daniel." Sam replied just as there was another huge crack and the volcano began to spew out more of its white-hot contents. "I think now is a good time." She finished.

General Hammond looked up from the computer as Sam came through the gate, one arm supporting a still coughing Daniel. He reached immediately for the mic.

"Medical team to the gate room, stat." He called and was already on his way down before his voice had finished going through the speaker.

As Hammond walked into the room, Teal'c appeared at the top of the ramp carrying Jack across his shoulders. The Jaffa walked down the to where Janet and her team had just arrived. He lowered Jack carefully onto the gurney and stepped back, allowing the doctor to see her patient.

"What happened"? She asked, not looking up.

"Colonel O'Neill was struck by falling rocks." Teal'c answered.

Prising back an eyelid, Janet shone a penlight into Jacks eye.

"Okay, let get him to the infirmary." She told her team.

Hammond looked at Daniel, who was still coughing up dust.

"Son, I'd like you to get checked out too." He said

Daniel nodded and along with Sam and Teal'c, set off after the medical team.

Much later, at the debriefing, Sam and Daniel filled the General in on the details of what had happened.

"Sir, that volcano is only about a mile away from the gate. I should think that with the ferocity of the eruption, the gate would probably be compromised by now." Sam finished.

"Thank you Major." Hammond nodded. " Dr Jackson, did you find anything of interest inside the temple"?

Daniel looked up from his papers. "Yes General. I did find some ancient text, inside what I believe to have been the burial chamber. I'd just began to take a look when the mountain blew. I guess now we'll never know who those people were."

"You brought nothing at all back with you"? The General asked.

" Well, I have a few bits of transcript on paper but I doubt they'll be of any real value."

"You got no photographic evidence"?

"Well yes, I did but the temple began to collapse very quickly and Jack pushed me out of there. I... urm... I left the camera behind, Sir." Daniel cursed to himself as his face reddened at his confession of losing yet *another* piece of valuable air force equipment.

"Hmm," Hammond saw Daniels embarrassment and decide to let the subject slide, for now. "Talking of Colonel O'Neill, have we heard anything from the doctor on his condition"?

"Why don't you ask her yourself, General"? Janet asked, walking into the briefing room. She was well aware of all eyes turning to her and quickly put them out of their misery.

"The colonel suffered a pretty substantial knock to his head. Just as well he's as hard headed." She smiled, trying to relax the tense faces that were listening to her ever syllable. She carried on, "There are no broken bones, a wonder in this case. Just a grade A, top of the range concussion. He should be up and at about in a couple of days or so, provided of course, he gets some rest."

Sam and Daniel looked across at each other and smiled. Teal'c just gave the slightest nod of his head, which was as close as you would get to "Yeah, way to go."

There were voices. Quiet, relaxed, calm voices. Voices he recognised but couldn't quite put a face to. He made an extra effort, trying to rise from the blackness that held him down. His eyelids felt like lead but still, he tried to open them.

"Hello, what do we have here"? A mans voice said

Then there was movement, the sound of a chair being scraped back, followed by a woman's voice and a hand touching his face.

"Colonel, are you in there"? The voice tried to coax him out of his hiding place.

Finally, Jack managed to open his eyes. Two faces swam in front of him and slowly came into focus.

Sam beamed down at him. "Hey there, colonel." she said. "We were beginning to wonder when you were going to show."

Jack stared back at her. Confused, he struggled to grasp what was happening. He knew he was in the infirmary and he knew his head was doing its best to split in two, but how or why he'd got there was something that had yet to be answered. He opened his mouth to speak but nothing came out. His throat had long since dried up. Sam reached across and took the water cup. Swivelling the straw round, she held it so Jack could take a sip.

"Better"?

He nodded slightly and immediately regretted it as the infirmary began to swim.

Janet pushed her way through to her patient's side.

" Hey Colonel. Welcome back to the land of the living." She smiled. "Do you know where you are?"

"Hell?" He rasped. Closing his eyes.

Janet smiled, "Close. Do you remember what happened?"

"No."

"It's okay, colonel. It'll come back soon enough. You need to rest some more."

Suddenly Jacks eyes flew open. Ignoring the pain that rose in his skull and with panic in his voice, he asked. "How long...?"

Puzzled, Janet saw the panic and said. "Almost three days."

"Dammit no. Can't be... can't be... " Jack mumbled.

Janet stared in disbelief as Jack tried to right himself, to get out of the bed.

"Whoa there colonel!" She cried, pushing Jack easily back into the bed. "You're not going anywhere yet, you need to stay here a while longer."

Jack didn't seem to hear and continued struggling against her. "It can't be... I'm too late."

Teal'c and Daniel came to the doctor's assistance.

"Hold him there please," she said, taking a needle and small bottle from the cabinet behind her.

Jack struggled against his restrainers as Janet quickly drew off the fluid, and then injected the contents of the needle into the I.V. line.

In his weakened condition, the sedative began to work immediately and Jack relaxed back into the pillow, eyelids already fluttering.

"Too late...." were the last words to pass his lips before he lost consciousness again.

Everyone stared down at the sleeping man, as Janet took his vitals.

Sam spoke first.

"What was that?" She asked, worry etched on her face.

Janet shook her head. "I have no idea Sam, but concussion can be a strange thing. Try not to worry, lets just wait and see what the morning brings."

"I will remain in the infirmary in case you need assistance again." Teal'c said. Stating, not offering.

Janet nodded her consent. "I just hope I *won't* be needing it."

"Doctor Jackson, you say that whatever is on the colonels mind, it has no relation to the accident on PX3 499?"

"No Sir, I think something was bothering Jack before that mission. Even Sam noticed something wasn't right."

Hammond turned and gave Sam a questioning look.

"I'm sorry Sir, the colonel just didn't seem his chirpy self. I didn't think it worrying enough to say anything."

Hammond turned back to Janet.

" Doctor, do you think it wise to release the colonel." He asked.

Janet placed her hands on the table in front of her and sighed.

"Well General, as far as medical problems are concerned, there is no reason to keep him here. Yes, he is still suffering from headaches, that's not surprising but I'm more concerned about his mental state. He's virtually non responsive to any one other than Daniel, which is why I think it could benefit Colonel O'Neill to get him away from the base. Maybe he'll open up to Daniel and get past whatever it is that is really bothering him."

Hammond turned to Daniel.

"And Dr Jackson, you don't have a problem being stuck with the colonel?"

"General, I don't see it as being `stuck` with him as you say. Jack is my friend, *our* friend," he gesticulated. " I will do whatever it takes to see him through this." He hung his head and added, "Whatever *this* is."

"Very well. Do whatever you think best doctor, but keep me informed."

Jack sat slumped against the SUV window, watching the world go by. He'd dressed quickly and got off the base as fast as he could. All he wanted was to get home, away from prying eyes. Yes, he knew part of his parole meant that Daniel got to spend some time babysitting him but, he had ways and means of keeping out of his friends way.

Daniel glanced across at him.

"I hope you don't mind, but I did some shopping and filled the fridge."

Jack said nothing.

"Hey, I even got you some of that awful beer you like." he added brightly.

Still Jack said nothing, but gave his head the slightest of nods.

Okay, Daniel thought, leave him alone. He's got to be tired, just give the guy time.

No more words were spoken for the remainder of the journey. As soon as they arrived at the house, Jack dropped his bag, went to the phone and deleted all messages then headed for his bedroom, closing the door behind him. Daniel puzzled over the deleted messages but decided against questioning it.

Spending the morning with his nose in a book, Daniel was determined not to get in Jacks hair. He would come out of that bedroom when he was good and ready and Daniel would be here when he did.

It was gone midday when Jack eventually emerged. Daniel looked up from his book and watched as Jack crossed the room into the kitchen, reached into the fridge and retrieved a beer. Daniel winced before saying,

"You'd feel better with some food inside you. There's a stew on the stove with your name on it."

Jack crossed the floor into the living room floor and crumpled into the big armchair. Daniel opened his mouth, but Jack interrupted him.

"Don't do it Daniel." He said quietly.

Daniel floundered. "Do what?"

"Don't sit there on *my* couch and tell me what to eat and drink in *my* house."

An uncomfortable silence stretched between them. Finally Daniel spoke.

"You know, we're just a bit concerned about you Jack. No one wants to tell you what to do, or how to do it."

"Then don't." Jack said simply, standing up and heading off for his bedroom again.

"Jack please, you don't have to spent your time avoiding me. Stay, I promise I won't say another word."

Without stopping or looking round, Jack said wearily,

"I'm tired Daniel, is it ok if I go lie down"?

Caught off guard again, Daniel stuttered.

"Yeah, sure." And added, "I'll reheat the stew later, huh"?

He heard Jack give a heavy a sigh as he closed the bedroom door behind him.

It was an hour after sunset and still Daniel had not heard a sound from Jack. Against his better judgement, he went through to the kitchen, dished out a bowl of stew and put it in the microwave and zapped it. He rough-cut a couple of bread wedges and poured out a glass of beer.

He then tore off a piece of white paper towel, drove it onto a bread stick and put everything together on the tray. Taking a deep breath, Daniel then picked it up and headed for Jacks bedroom.

He gave a gentle knock and when Jack didn't answer, he decided to take the bull by the horns and go in anyway. Expecting darkness when he opened the door, he was surprised to find a small bedside lamp burning.

Jack was sprawled out on the bed, asleep. Daniel noticed an occasional grimace cross his friends face. Dreaming, he thought. Deciding to leave Jack to sleep, Daniel put the tray down next to the bed and turned to go. It was then that he heard it.

One word that made Daniel stop.

"Charlie."

One word, barely more than a whisper, but filled with so much pain.

Daniel was now undecided as what to do. Was this dream a good dream, in which Charlie was alive and all was well? Or was it going to turn into a nightmare that would end with the sound of a single gunshot?

In the end, the decision was taken from Daniel when Jack woke with a start, sitting bolt upright.

The two men stared at each other until, taking a deep shaky breath, Jack finally spoke.

"So. You spend a lot of time watching people sleep Daniel"?

That sounded a bit like the old Jack, Daniel thought, just stopping himself from laughing. Instead, he smiled and shook his head. He took the little breadstick flag from the tray and waved it at Jack.

"I brought you some stew," he said.

It was Jack who laughed out loud.

"Don't ever let them tell you you're a quitter, Danny Boy."

Daniel smiled, passed Jack the tray of food and started to leave the room.

"If you're going to make me eat this gloop, you could at least talk to my while I do it. Sorta take my mind off it." Jack said, with the hint of a smile.

Daniel gave him a full on grin and sat himself down in the chair by the bed.

Way into the early hours, and with the help of a few more beers, the two men talked about anything and everything.

Football. Abydos. Hockey. Apophis. Baseball. And then as the beers relaxed them both, Sha`re, Skaara and to Daniels surprise, Sara.

Feeling brave after his alcohol consumption, Daniel tested the water.

"Jack, do you remember when you first woke up after the accident on PX3 499? You got pretty upset, said you were too late. What was that about?"

Seeing Jacks face immediately change, Daniel cursed himself. Way to go Jackson, he thought. He didn't push it any further and the two fell into companionable silence.

Just as the quiet and beer started to send Daniel over the edge toward sleep, Jack said quietly.

"The day after PX3 499, it was Charlie's birthday."

Daniel was wide awake now. He sat still, not daring to move in case Jack stopped talking.

"Despite everything, Sara and I agreed that on Charlie's birthday we would visit him together." He let out a long and heavy sigh. "Because of a damned recon mission going wrong, I missed it. I was too late for my son's birthday, too late for Sara"

Daniel let out a breath he hadn't realised he was holding.

"I'm sorry Jack."

Waving a beer bottle in the air, Jack grunted.

"Hey Danny Boy, nothing for you to be sorry about. It's me, Sara's never gonna speak to again."

A light suddenly dawned for Daniel. He now knew why Jack had deleted the phone messages without listening to them. He was afraid there would be an angry message from Sara.

"She'll understand when you tell her. Hell Jack, you were lucky to survive, you had a temple hit you in the head, for crying out loud."

Jack turned a fuzzy eye on Daniel. "Hey, that's *my* line."

Ignoring him, Daniel carried on.

"Sara's a fair person. She'll be okay once she knows why you couldn't make it. You have to trust me on this one, Jack."

Daniel waited for an argument and was relieved when he didn't get one. After a long moment, he turned to look at his friend and found the reason. Jack had settled into a deep, beer assisted sleep.

Daniel watched him for a couple of minutes, before taking the bottle from Jacks loose grip. The wonders of alcohol, he smiled to himself, then after throwing a blanket over Jack, he turned and left him to sleep.

"Daniel, I swear to God, I'm going to kill you, if you don't tell me where we're going!"

"Patience, my friend." Daniel responded quietly. "We're nearly there."

Jack looked out of the window and suddenly the scenery started to become familiar.

"Daniiiieeel...." He growled, eyes glowering.

Daniel winced. "Take it easy, Jack. It'll be fine."

"Take it easy!!" Jack roared, furious. "How the hell *dare* you?"

"I dare," Daniel said calmly, "because you are my friend and I will not let you ruin what little you have left of your life."

Daniel stopped the SUV outside the cemetery gates.

Jack glared angrily at his friend and was about to open his mouth to take another shot at him, when Daniel pointed through the windshield.

Jack turned his head and, looking beyond the gates, he found himself staring straight at Sara.

"I called her this morning, told her the reason why you didn't come that day."

"Dammit Daniel." Jack said, softly.

Jack climbed out of the SUV and walked slowly into the cemetery to meet Sara.

She gave him a watery smile as he approached.

"Hey."

"Hey yourself." Jack replied.

"Daniel told me what happened," she said, reaching up and gently touching the butterfly strips above Jacks eye. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine. Sara, I'm so sorry for..."

Sara brought her hand down, resting her fingers on Jack's lips.

"Don't." She smiled. "It's okay, Charlie would understand."

The relief that washed over him was all consuming, as Jack reached out and wrapped Sara tightly in his arms.

Sitting behind the wheel of the SUV, Daniel smiled.

Oh yeah, it'll be fine.

~~~end~~~

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to magicsunbeam