Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Newsflash

by Niamh
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Newsflash

Newsflash

by Niamh

Title: Newsflash
Author: Niamh
Email: angel4ev4@hotmail.com
Category: AlternateUniverse, Drama, FutureStory, POV
Season: any Season
Pairing: Jack/Sara, Sam/Jack
Rating: G
Warnings: none
Summary: A newsflash reveals some shocking news.
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).

2101 hrs

Colorado

As she opened the front door and stumbled over the threshold - weighed down by shopping bags - she turned on the television to catch the 9 o'clock news. Though it was usually just a load of depressing stuff about who died today, it did have all the latest information about the country...which was the only reason she ever watched the damn thing.

She started emptying the contents of her shopping bags into their designated presses in the kitchen, only half listening to the news. As she put the dairy products into the fridge she almost didn't notice the piece of paper stuck to the fridge door. Almost.

'Dad?' she called.

No answer.

The only two inhabitants of this house were 1) this woman - the actual owner of the house and 2) her father - obviously out at the moment. It had once housed a family. A happy one. Until, one day, that was all taken from her. She, Sara O'Neill, had lost most of what she had held dear in that single day.

She looked away from the picture - it was a drawing of the family that Charlie had done in crayon in school when he was six. Memories flooded back. Sitting out on the front steps with Jack, laughing at one of his jokes. Bang. Silence.

She was almost crying. In an attempt to cheer herself up, she grabbed a tub of ice-cream and a spoon - leaving the groceries half unpacked - and headed over to the couch in her sitting room to watch T.V. Since the news was still on (and that obviously wasn't going to cheer her up) she was about to change the channel when a newsflash came on. Curious, she put the remote on the arm of the couch, curling up and tucking into her ice-cream. She was barely listening to it until she heard the newsreader utter a very familiar word:

'Stargate'

Now her full attention was focused on everything the newsreader said.

'It is a large metal ring, made of a material not found on Earth and stands about two storeys in height. It was created millennia ago to link or 'connect' to a stargate on another planet so that once you step through you are immediately transported to that planet. It is activated by 'dialling' six symbols known as chevrons, and a final symbol which is called the 'point of origin'. I don't really understand it myself but here is someone who might be able to help. He is second in command of the SGC, or Stargate Command, which is the facility housing the Stargate in Cheyenne Mountain, Colorado. His name is Colonel Jack O'Neill.'

Sara's mouth had been wide open since the words 'another planet', but on hearing his name she dropped her spoon, which had failed to reach her mouth for the past 5 minutes.

'Good evening, Colonel.'

'Good evening.'

'Please tell us, why has the existence of the Stargate been kept a secret for so long, and why have you decided to reveal its existence now?'

As he began to answer the woman's questions, Sara took the opportunity to actually look at Jack. It had been five years since she saw him last. It was also the time she had heard of the Stargate, but this was the first time she knew anything about it. As she looked him up and down she was amazed how much older he looked. 'Whatever work he's doing is certainly taking its toll on him' she thought. Though he did look older, she was also amazed at how good he looked. He had a twinkle in his eye that she had never seen before and he seemed more relaxed.

By the time she had tuned back into the programme, Jack had just finished repeating most of what the newsreader had already said. Now he was getting on to why it was they were revealing its existence. She couldn't believe what she was hearing as he described a race of aliens - the Goold or Goa'uld or something - and how they had been fighting against them for six years now. What really amazed and scared her was what he said next,

'Three of their motherships have entered our solar system having been hiding behind Pluto for some time in order to gather their forces. I'm afraid that we have known of their arrival for some time but have been unable to stop them. We have decided to tell the entire world because we believe that the people of Earth have a right to know what is happening. We are still working on a way to stop them but our chances are slim. My sympathy goes to everyone listening. I'm sorry we let you down.'

That was it. Once he had finished, the camera turned back to the newsreader but she was so overcome with emotion that she couldn't speak. The station went blank. So did every other T.V. channel. Sara turned off the television set in shock. How could this be happening? Why hadn't Jack told her? How long did they have?

Just as more questions arose in her mind she heard a knock on the door. Still in too much shock to wonder who it was, she slowly walked over to the door and opened it.

'Jack?' she asked in disbelief.

'Hello Sara,' as he saw her blank expression he asked, 'Have you seen the news?'

'Uh huh.' Was all she could manage.

Jack came forward and gave her the most comforting hug possible. He was still in his uniform with his cap and sunglasses on; he had most likely gone straight from the studio to her house.

Releasing her he looked her up and down.

'You haven't changed a bit.' He pointed out.

'I wish I could say the same for you. You look so much older. What do you do up there?' she asked, referring to the SGC.

'Oh, you know, the usual. Going through the Stargate to other planets every second day, sometimes for a few days. Fighting evil aliens and risking life and limb a lot of the time. Nothing much.' She punched him in the arm for his jokes and it felt like old times again. She leaned up to kiss him but he backed away. 'Sara, I...I can't...I'm, well, I'm married.' He stated, showing her the gold band around his wedding finger.

'Oh. Who?'

'Her name is Samantha. You may have met her briefly with the whole me&Charlie thing you got mixed up in a few years ago. That wasn't me by the way.'

'Alien?'

'Yeeeah. Look, I'm sorry I didn't tell you. I would have invited you but...we kinda got married on another planet so...'

'There's no way I could have come.' She finished.

'Right. I have to go now but hey, if you ever want to see me or even just talk to me, why not head up to Cheyenne Mountain? Just ask for me and I'll get you in. Okay? Great.' He replied as she nodded her head.

'Hey,'she called after him as he headed back down the steps in front of the house, 'How long do we have 'til they get here?'

He looked grave, 'Long enough.'

She had to settle with that answer as he walked off back down to his...limo? 'Some have all the luck' she whispered to herself. As he neared the car a woman stepped out. She had shoulder length blonde hair and bright blue eyes. Though she couldn't remember her from before she was guessing this was Samantha. Her suspicions were proven to be correct when she saw her give Jack a gentle kiss before she followed him into the car. She turned around and smiled sweetly at Sara. She knew she must be a very nice person if Jack married her, but because of that she could never truly like 'Samantha'.

She closed the door and went back into the house to ponder over everything that had just happened. 'My brain is gonna hurt after this.' She thought as she thought about everything that has happened and will happen.

THE END

Thanks for reading my fic! If you think it's good or if you want to give me any pointers please send feedback! It'll be much appreciated!

P.S. You can decide yourself whether or not SG-1 saved Earth, but that's not what my story was focused on so I'll let you decide for yourself! Cheers!

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Niamh