Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Little Things

by Debby
[Reviews - 1]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +

Your friend is your needs answered.
He is your field which you sow with love
and reap with thanksgiving.
And he is your board and your fireside.
For you come to him with your hunger,
and you seek him for peace.

And when he is silent your heart ceases
not to listen to his heart;
For without words, in friendship, all
thoughts, all desires, all expectations are born
and shared, with joy that is unacclaimed.

For in the dew of little things the heart
finds its morning and is refreshed.

--Kahlil Gibran
The Prophet


Teal'c knocked softly on DanielJackson's door. His young teammate had been released from the infirmary but told to stay at the SGC. He had been injured sufficiently by Ammounet's ribbon device that he had briefly lost consciousness during the return trip to the Stargate.

There was only silence for a moment, then a quiet answer. Teal'c took it for permission, although he was pressed to understand what had been called out. He entered carefully, reverently. His task here was solemn, deserving of the utmost consideration. The room was dark, except for one lone ring of light from the far side above the bunk. DanielJackson was sitting up on the bed, an ancient book on his lap. He looked up as Teal'c entered, an unreadable expression on his face.

"DanielJackson. Are you well?"

The younger man shifted slightly, obviously uncomfortable, briefly touching the tube running from his hand to a pole and a bag of clear liquid next to him. "I'm okay for being on a leash."

Teal'c knew that the statement was usually made in a humorous manner, but there was no tone of lightness to DanielJackson's words. Teal'c drew himself up and looked the man in his eyes. "I have come to seek forgiveness."

DanielJackson sighed. "I told you you did the right thing."

"It is not the same thing."

Another sigh. DanielJackson looked away, uncomfortable. Teal'c began to regret coming here. Perhaps it was presumptuous, but he could not bear the thought that his friend was angry at him.

"It's too early for that, Teal'c. I'm sorry."

"I understand." Teal'c accepted the statement, although he was uncertain why the other would apologize when Teal'c was clearly in the wrong. But, he would not force anything; he did not have the right to do so.

"I have brought this for you." He held out his gift.

"For me?" DanielJackson eyed the object warily, finally taking it from Teal'c's outstretched hand.

"Yes."

His face screwed up with confusion. "A used candle..." The scientist turned it over in his hand, as though it would appear different from the other side. "You're giving me a used candle?"

Teal'c knew his gift was not understood. "It is the candle I use for Kel-no-reem. For meditation. It is what you would call a 'focal point.' I focus my thoughts on the flame of this candle, and it's light and heat and beauty remind me of the good that still exists in the universe. I wish to remind you."

DanielJackson made no response to his explanation. He continued to turn the candle over in his hands, although he did not appear to be seeing it. Teal'c could not understand what fascination the unlit candle might hold for the young man.

"I will leave now." He turned to go, to leave the grieving man in peace.

"Wait."

It was a gentle command. Teal'c turned around. DanielJackson was still staring at the candle. Teal'c almost wondered if he had imagined the voice.

"Get that bag over there." DanielJackson pointed to a small white bag on a table. Teal'c retrieved it and held it out to his friend.

DanielJackson stayed his hand. "No, have one."

Teal'c peered inside. He took out one of the small round cakes.

"Chocolate walnut cookies," his teammate explained. "Sam brought them. Have one."

Teal'c took a cautious bite. It was quite good.

DanielJackson was watching him now, a deep sadness on his face. "This is one of the ways that I'm reminded of the good that still exists in the universe."

Teal'c felt a warmth come over him. DanielJackson had understood, after all.

"Stay, Teal'c. Show me how you meditate with this." He held the candle out between them.

Teal'c sat carefully, one hand reverently clutching the cookie, while his friend lit the candle. Forgiveness was not to come yet, but it was enough to know that DanielJackson had not given up on him, either.

The room was bathed in candleglow, and silence filled the spaces that words could never.

~~finis~~