Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

The Night Watch

by Karrenia
[Reviews - 0]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
fic (The One that Got Away) SG-1/Supernatural #3
Title: The One that Got Away and Other Fish Stories
Fandom: Stargate SG-1 crossover w/Supernatural
Claim: Stargate, general series
Author: karrenia (Karen)
Rating: PG
Characters: featuring Janet Fraiser and John Winchester
guest-starring Jack O'Neill, Sammantha Carter, Daniel Jackson,
and Teal'C.
Prompt: #57 lunch

14/100
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 belongs to Gekko Film Corporation MGM Productions, it is not mine, nor are any of the characters who appear within. Supernatural belongs to the CW television network. Notes: part 3 of “Dancing with the Devil series. Picks up where “Those Who Hunt by Night“ left off.



“The One that Got Away and Other Fish Stories“ by Karen

Whether or not Jack O’Neill’s plan to let some of the tension and stress of the past month out by taking the entire SG-1 team on a fishing trip at his cabin in northern Minnesota had been the best course of action, it was no longer open to debate.

Doctor Jackson thought it over as he got out of the silver rental car, went to the back of and began unloading the camping and fishing equipment from the trunk and then picked up the cooler by its handles and handed the remainder over to Samantha Carter and Teal’c.

Jack had gone off whistling, and Daniel thought ‘I don’t think I have ever seen him this relaxed.’

About thirty minutes later Jack had settled himself into a wicker chair on porch deck, back up and his legs extended out in front of him, his fishing pole in hand, baited and ready to go. “Sir,”

“We’re off duty, Sam,” Jack said, “You don’t have to call me ‘sir,’ here.”

“I realize, that, it’s uh, just a force of habit.” Sam smiled and shrugged, flushing a bit as she wrestled with her own fishing pole whose strand had tangled up around in a tight knot and had snarled around the crank at the top of the pole.

With some work she at last managed to unsnarl it, wind it up again, and get it more or less back to the way it was supposed to be. Settling back in her own chair, she reached into the bucket situated between their two chair, reached in with her free hand and took out the bait. “Remind me again, why we’re doing this.” Sam asked, knowing even as she did so that Jack had been itching to get some leave in order to go fishing at General Hammond for a very long time now.

“Because I can,” Jack replied.

“Oh, right, how silly of me to forget.” Sam smiled and dipped her pole into the lake water. “What do I do now?”

“Sit back and wait for the fish to come to you, it’s the beauty part of fishing.”

“What’s the other part, being outside in the fresh air and the sunshine.”

“That explains why you were always so keen to get out here,” Daniel replied as he came up to join the others with Teal’c close behind him. “We’ve got the stuff stashed in the cabin. Where do you want us to set up the grill?”

“In the back, but do it later,” Jack said, “have a seat and relax, both of you.” Jack paused and then swiveled his head to eye both Daniel and Teal’C. “What do I have to do, make that an order?”

“Uh, no, right away,” Daniel stammered and plunked down on the wooden boards of the porch, and then removed his shoes and socks and dangled his feet in the water. Teal’c took a seat in one of the other chairs nearer the cabin.

The sun was brilliant and fuzzy like a huge tennis ball suspended in the sky overhead, Daniel hazily thought, the heat of the day, and the lazy afternoon stretching out before him with nothing more pressing to do, combining to make him nod a bit and force his eyelids down.

Daniel briefly considered going to the effort of getting up and walking over to the cabin to retrieve the book he had brought along, but then decided that it would be too much effort and remained exactly where he had plunked himself down.

Jack meanwhile was engaged in telling Sam some wild story about the first time he had taken his son Charlie fishing and how the boy had stood up in the center of the boat and capsized them over into the middle of the lake.

In the background Sam could hear the thrum of a motor running, which she assumed was the portable generators Jack used to cool his cabin in the summer and warm it in the winter. She was about to say something about the benefits of energy efficiency of solar panels, when she was interrupted by the sound of truck engine misfiring.

On vacation or not, that was no reason to let go of her natural instincts and well-honed instincts of potential danger.

She stood up from her, the motion yanking her fishing pole out of the water and in the back of her mind Sam thought, “I well never get the hang of this, no matter what Jack might believe to the contrary. Maybe I am just too impatient, excepting results right away instead of waiting for the fish to come to me. All the same, let Jack have his fishing, to each their own, as the saying goes.’

Aloud she said. “Jack, I think I heard something. I’m going to check it out.”

Jack did not reply at first. “Jack?”

“Hmmm?”

“It’s probably nothing, but all the same I need to go for a walk, stretch my legs, so I’ll go and check out that noise I heard while I’m at it, okay?”

“Okay?”

“Okay, and when you come back, bring the beer, it’s in the fridge in the kitchen.”

“Lazy bones,” Sam remarked, glancing at him. “We get you on vacation and you turn into a lazy lump.”

“Yeah, I know,” Jack chuckled. “Ain’t life grand?”

“I will assume that was a rhetorical question,” Sam said.

“Yeah, it is. Try to keep it that way until I come back.”

“Whatever you say, Ma’am.” Jack said mock-seriously and waved her on her way with his one free hand, the other holding onto his fishing pole.

“I’m going for that walk now.” Sam replied and strolled off in the direction of the cabin’s north side and up toward the where the road parallel the lake. She reached up and brushed aside a lock of hair that had fallen over her eyes as she walked. Just as she was within five feet of the road she was brought up short by a green pick-up truck barreling down the gravel road at a speed that Sam considered considerably reckless for the both the road conditions and the amount of space afforded.

The driver of the pickup truck came to a stop and pulled into a parking spot, rolling down the driver side window as he did so. From Sam’s vantage point she observed that the driver was male, white, dark haired and dark-eyed and sported a scruffy dark beard. He also had a passenger in the front cabin, whom Sam at the moment could only see in profile, but it was definitely a woman.

Normally Sam would not have been too concerned over who might be sharing Jack’s getaway vacation spot, but something indefinable had triggered that warning of potential danger, which made the fine blond hairs at the nape of her neck to stand up.

Major Sammantha Carter had not climbed the ladders of success and rank in the United States Air force and carved out a career for herself, not to mention survived several bad fights, by ignoring her instincts.

Janet Fraiser rolled down her own window and then unlocked her door and stepped down and out of truck. She thought, ‘What possessed me to agree to go fishing with John Winchester anyway/” I don’t like fishing or lakes, but after what had happened in Illinois, it was probably a good idea to go somewhere where no would think to look for us.‘

“Janet,” John Winchester asked. “You okay.”

“Fine, your idea of obeying the speed limit leaves much to be desired.”

“Sorry about that,” John replied, flushing.

“It’s all right, but next time I’m driving.”

Sam was just about to turn around and head up to the cabin to get the beer when she was brought up short by both the well-remembered voice and stance of the woman who stood only a few short feet in front of her. It could not be her, the Janet Fraiser she knew and loved had been dead, killed in the line of duty only a few months ago.

It simply was not within the realm of possibility that a living, breathing Janet Fraiser should be here now. But then, both Daniel Jackson and Jack O’Neil had been believed dead and had come back to life, but that had been through the intercession of the alien technology created by the ancients and currently commandeered by the alien Go’uald, the Saracagophus.

Janet had never availed herself of that technology, she had been a member of their off-world team on the planet PCX-1153, when the Gou’ald had sent an army of super-soldiers and Janet had been attending a wounded Air Man, when she had been shot point blank by a laser blaster. No one could have survived that, no one.

Sam knew that to be true, and her professional, logical and scientific part of her nature had long ago come to terms with that fact, but her stubborn personal side had wished many times over that it wasn’t true, that it simply could not be true.

“Janet? Janet Fraiser? Sam whispered.

“Sam! Sammantha Carter?” Janet exclaimed,

“A friend of yours?” asked John curiously and a little suspiciously; in the past few week that he had come to know Janet Fraiser, the last thing he needed to deal with was an old boyfriend, but judging both from what was said as much as by what was left unspoken and the body language it appeared that he had little to fear on that front.

“Oh my god, you’re alive!” the blond man who sat perched on the edge of a boulder that jutted out into the lake gasped as all but slid and almost fell flat on his face in his haste to approach Janet and embrace her. “You have no idea how happy I am, I mean, we are to you see you. When you disappeared and we couldn’t find, I mean, this is a miracle, seeing you, alive, I mean.”

Janet, her voice trembling with both happiness and nervousness, returned Daniel’s embrace, “I’m happy to see you, too. Same old, Daniel, I guess some things really do not change all that much.”

“Not that I want to cut short this obviously happy reunion,” John interrupted, clearing his throat significantly, “Janet, who are these people?”

“They’re my friends.” Janet smiled. “Jack, Daniel, this is John Winchester,” Janet added, John, allow me to introduce you to Jack O’Neill, Dr. Daniel Jackson, Samantha Carter, and Teal.C.”

“All right, now that we’re all acquainted,” said Jack as he stepped forward, can we get on with the fishing, people. This is the first time in possibly a year since I’ve had a chance to fish and it’s almost ten am. We’re burning daylight here, people.”

“Gotta love the man’s sense of priorities,” the blond haired woman introduced as Samantha shook her head in mock severity and humor.

She was flanked by a tall black man wearing a baseball cap that had been pulled down so low that it all but made contact with his eyebrows, that she addressed as Teal’C, and they turned around and began setting up a campsite.

John Winchester was not entirely certain of his facts, however, something here just did not up right. John was having the devil of a time figuring just was that something was at this point. He sighed and run a hand through his the thick hair of his beard, and then gestured for Janet to make the next move.

Conclusion
“You will of course, have disavow any knowledge of what you are about to hear, tonight, it’s a matter of the strictest national security, do you understand?” said O’Neill.

“Janet is, or was, a member of my unit. We work for the United States Air Force.” “O’Neill said.

“Oh that went over so well,” Daniel interrupted.

“Who’s telling this story, me or you,” Jack griped.

“Okay, I’ll shut up now.”

“The details of the project are, of course, classified. You have our thanks for finding Dr. Frasier and keeping her safe, but she needs to come back with us.

“I know at least one little girl who is missing her Mom something fierce,” Sam added.

“Cassie!” Janet gasped. “How could I have forgotten about her?”

“Well,” John Winchester replied, “You did come down with a mild case of amnesia.”

“You guys work for the government?” he added.

“Yes,” Sam replied.

“Lovely,” John sighed.

“And can you explain to me, without going into the ‘classified details’ John paused and waggled his fingers in the air when he said the word ‘classified.’ and added. “the nature of that project?”

“We deal with little gray men?” Jack sighed.

“Don’t you mean little green men?” John asked, thinking as he did so that he had been missing out when his life up until now had solely focused on locating, fighting, and ultimately eliminating things that went bump in the night, when he could have been dealing with the stuff that filled pulp magazines and sci-fiction novels.

With a start John Winchester realized that Janet had also been very careful to steer and deflect his natural curiosity and pointed questions about the nature of her work at the military base in Colorado Springs.

She had not exactly lied to him, but she had been rather evasive. He had not thought too much of it at the time, mainly because his own lie dealt with secrets and playing things close to the vest, and she had been through a very traumatic series of events. This was weird, even for him.

“No I said gray and I meant gray.” Jack muttered under his breath, wondering if Janet’s surprising revival might have had anything to do with Thor and his Asgard buddies, and then filed the notion away for later use.

“What, are you guys from outer space, or what?”

Jack laughed, pointing over at where the big black man in the baseball cap stood by the cabin wall. “He’s from outer space, the rest of just work there from time to time.”

“Now, you’re just trying to pull my leg, right?” John muttered under his breath.

“John,” Janet added. “He’s telling the truth, in Jack’s own, disgruntled and unique fashion.”

John Winchester let out the breath that he had been holding in throughout the quick rapid-fire summation and it came out in a piercing whistle. “My God, this is fricking for real, right? Aliens, off-world travel? The whole shebang.? And you guys work for the government?”

“Yes, we’re actually with the United States Air Force, and if she wishes, we’ll be taking Dr. Fraiser back with us when we leave.’ Jack said.”We do have one teensy problem.

“What kind of problem?”

“You, complicating matters by getting involved.”Jack said, and then added. “Janet is coming back with us.”

“I think that should be a decision that Janet will have to make for herself,” John shouted. His patience had begun to wear a bit thin with the obvious attempt to stymie the new guy with fancy double-talk, or what his younger son, Dean might refer to ‘as smoke and mirrors.

After all, how much of this was true and how much was just some sort of elaborate conspiracy theory; it was anybody’s guess on that one.

What mattered to him was Janet. It was not like he had completely forgotten about his late wife, Mary, but he had grown fond of and close to the woman, and he did not want to see anything bad happen to her now, not after everything that she had already been through.

Apparently she had already died once, and if anyone know about dying, it was the Winchesters. One could only dodge that silver bullet so many times before it eventually caught up with you.

Continued in chapter 4" The Woman with One Red Shoe