Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

The Aschen Confederation

by A Karswyll
[Reviews - 1]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +

Chapter 2

Onboard the O'Neill, Earth Orbit
August 1, 2010

Reading the data on the screens before him Jack O'Neill worked in companionable silence with Thor and the asgärd crew onboard the cloaked flagship of the O'Neill-class warships as it orbited Earth.

One of the computer feeds was picking up different channels being broadcast from the planet below. While the signals were cluttered with a profusion of radio and television shows, most of those picked up transmissions focused on the day's tenth anniversary of the signing of the Aschen-Earth Alliance.

Most of that news was just background noise for Jack who felt no admiration for the Aschen and even less for the current presidential administration. But he was not onboard in relation to the Aschen for the moment but assisting the Asgärd in policy—policy!

With the defeat of the System Lords, the political stability of the Milky Way Galaxy had been unbalanced with less-advanced planets and cultures bearing the brunt of piracy by pirates using more advanced technology. While the twenty-six planets of the former Asgärd-Goa'uld Protected Planets Treaty had quickly been guarded by the Asgärd after the conquest of the replicators, those protected planets did have treaties and alliances with other unprotected planets and wished for their guardians to extend the shield of protection.

The Asgärd, now that their resources were not tied up fighting an aggressive mechanical enemy, were not averse to assisting but felt protected planets should be as autonomous as possible. This was where Jack came in. He had years of experience exploring other planets and knew how they had been affected by contact. Coming from a primitive planet himself he also knew how they had been affected by sudden alien technological advancements. His perspective was invaluable for creating relevant policies and explaining those policies in words other humans and their governments would understand.

It had most certainly not been something Jack had expected to find himself doing upon his retirement from the military ten years ago.

A discreet chiming noise sounded from the watch around Jack's wrist, reminding him that it was noon and time to take a break from sitting at the computer for the past five hours. Flexing his wrists upon standing to relax them after the session of continuous typing, Jack made his way from the room to the mess—a room that for the Asgärd was now defunct but not for their guests.

Sitting on a table for him was a casserole dish with its meal of ham and scalloped potatoes freshly cooked and beamed aboard from his family's kitchen on Earth. As he seated himself, Jack heard the familiar stride of Thor enter the room and approach the table.

Jack looked up and greeted the Supreme Commander of the Asgärd Fleet as the alien took a seat across from him.

Thor returned the greeting pleasantly and waved at Jack to eat. "I just wish to inquire how your wife and children are doing as it has been some Earth months since I have seen them."

"Well, the wife's being a wife," Jack joked wryly, "and the boys are being boys. You should come for a visit. I know she'd like to talk with you and the boys love it when you do that, you know, spider thing." Jack held his hand palm up and wiggled his fingers alluding to what he was talking about.

Thor inclined his head in understanding. "I believe I shall O'Neill. Your sons remind me of Magni and Modi when they were young."

Thinking of the antics of Thor's two sons when he had been on Othala had one of Jack's eyebrows rising to his hairline. "When they were young? What about now?"

Thor permitted an expression of Asgärd amusement to cross his features. "Now O'Neill, their actions are like yours."

Jack looked mildly affronted at the accusation of childish behaviour but did nothing to refute it. "Okay, I'll let them know you plan on a visit."

"Thank you O'Neill," Thor said graciously. "How are your plans proceeding?"

Jack nodded as he finished his meal. "Yeah, things on Chebel are falling into place nicely."

"That is pleasing to hear. And the other federated planets?"

"We're working on the last eleven of the thirty-three. Only have one of the allied planets though. Still have to work on the other eight."

"The Council will be surprised to learn that you now have one of the allies. There was expectation that recruitment to your cause would be difficult."

"Freedom is a very powerful lure," was the answer Jack gave.

Thor inclined his head, knowing fully the power of what Jack said and the great lengths people would go to achieve freedom. "I only hope O'Neill that you do not lose your home on Earth through this."

Jack shrugged as he rose to his feet. "It will hurt, but better things than people. Besides, there are many worlds that would offer us sanctuary."

Thor knew that was true and if O'Neill succeeded and his own world still turned from him, those worlds that he freed would only be too happy to offer him and his family a home. Even the worlds of the Asgärd in the Ida Galaxy would offer him sanctuary. Othala in particular would be very happy to have the O'Neill family return after their seven-year absence.

. . .

Cassie sat in the visitor chair in front of her mother's desk six days after the Alliance's tenth anniversary. Her foot tapped an impatient rhythm on the floor as she waited for her mother to return with a verdict.

Janet bustled into the room, slim computer tablet in hand. "Hey. Sorry to keep you waiting sweetheart, but I was just double checking the results…"

"And I'm fine. Right?" Cassie said with a sour twist to her mouth, more than familiar with her Aschen doctor Emmil's verdict each time she went to him concerning her attempt to get pregnant.

"Cassie, I don't know how Emmil could have missed it, and frankly, I just don't think it's possible he could have," Janet informed her daughter as she took a seat across from her.

"What?

"You can't have children," Janet stated as gently as possible.

"They said everything was normal," Cassie protested.

"In every other way, it is," Janet agreed.

"Then this is a mistake," stated Cassie insistently.

"Here, let me show you the scan," her mother slid the tablet across the table to her, "your schooling in pharmaceuticals should let you interpret the data yourself. See? There's no room for interpretation. Clearly your ovaries are damaged."

"Why?" Cassie asked, despair settling onto her features as she traced a line on the tablet's screen.

"I don't know. I don't know what may have caused it or when it may have happened, but obviously it was some time…"

"No. I want to know why Emmil looked me in the eye and told me that I was okay. Why did he lie to me?" Cassie gritted out, her earlier despair being consumed by a growing anger.

"I don't know sweetheart. But I'm willing to help you find out."

Cassie raised her eyes to her mother's and knew that she would do exactly what she had vowed.