The Definition Of Family by LE McMurray
Summary: Trying to find her brother puts Jeannie McKay in danger. Sequel to Pretending
Categories: Other Pairing, Rodney McKay, McKay/Cadman, Beckett/other Characters: Carson Beckett, John Sheppard, Laura Cadman, Rodney McKay
Episode Related: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Alternate Universe, Crossovers, Drama, Hurt/Comfort, Romance, Smarm
Holiday: None
Season: Season 2
Warnings: None
Crossovers: Pretender, Stargate: SG-1
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 12 Completed: No Word count: 34111 Read: 8996 Published: 2011.04.02 Updated: 2011.04.02
Story Notes:
I wrote this a long time ago but for some reason didn't post it here. So here is the sequel to Pretending.

1. Chapter 1 by LE McMurray

2. Chapter 2 by LE McMurray

3. Chapter 3 by LE McMurray

4. Chapter 4 by LE McMurray

5. Chapter 5 by LE McMurray

6. Chapter 6 by LE McMurray

7. Chapter 7 by LE McMurray

8. Chapter 8 by LE McMurray

9. Chapter 9 by LE McMurray

10. Chapter 10 by LE McMurray

11. Chapter 11 by LE McMurray

12. Chapter 12 by LE McMurray

Chapter 1 by LE McMurray
Author's Notes:
Thanks to Stonedtoad for betaing.

For The Pretender this is set after Island Of The Haunted but since I wrote this before seeing it there is a few things I ignored because I couldn’t think of a way to change it.
For Atlantis it’s set in Season Two and I’ve fixed a few things from the first story.

Enjoy
The car park was dimly lit as she guided her car to the third level. The email she’d received had been confusing but her curiosity had gotten the better of her and that was the reason she was here.

Parking under a light she pulled out her phone fixing it so that she could dial the police instantly as well as use the attack alarm she’d been given at work a few months before when there’d been several attacks near the office. With a deep breath she got out of the car.

“Jeannie McKay?” a soft voice came from behind her.

Jeannie spun finding a woman standing there looking small and pale but hopeful.

“Who are you?” Jeannie got straight to the point, “And why the hell are we meeting here?”

The woman took a deep breath glancing around, “My name is Emily. I’m here to warn you.”

“About what?” Jeannie asked sharply.

The woman glanced furtively around again, “You’re searching for your brother. I’m telling you to let it go for now.”

“What?” Jeannie demanded angrily, “You sent me some secretive email dragging me out here in the middle of the night before demanding I stop looking for my brother? Who the hell do you think you are?”

Emily sighed, “I’ve been in your position, Jeannie. I’m not saying to let it go forever, I just…if you’re not careful the people who took him will come after you.”

Jeannie stared at her, “How do you know this?”

“Because they took my brothers too,” Emily sighed, “My whole family has been almost completely destroyed by them. I know he’s safe but you’re getting too close and they’re going to come after you.”

Jeannie stared at the young woman incredulously her anger melting as she saw the actual fear and concern in Emily’s eyes, “He is safe?”

“Yes,” Emily smiled, “My brother told me to let you know Rodney is safe, he’s happy and he has good friends. If they get you they have a way to get to him.”

Jeannie sighed before nodding, “Alright,” she rubbed her eyes, “I’ll stop but you have to promise me that if there is a way you’ll get him to contact me.”

Emily nodded, as she turned to leave a car screeched into the car park.

“Run,” Emily cried grabbing Jeannie’s arm.



The two women ran as fast as they could, Jeannie turned and could see three men in black suits chasing them. Her heart was thumping as Emily pulled her down the stairs.

“We have to split up,” Emily told her, “Be careful and don’t come back for your car.”

Jeannie nodded, “Be careful,” she squeezed the other woman’s hand before running in the opposite direction.

Jeannie knew if she could make it to the main road she could flag down a taxi. She could hear voices coming close and taking a deep breath started to run again.

A hand grabbed her arm and she was yanked back. Jeannie struggled against her captor but stopped as she heard the ominous click before a gun was pressed to her temple.

“Miss McKay,” the man holding her smiled charmingly when he turned her to him, “It is such a pleasure to meet you.”

“Let go of me,” she snarled, wincing as he pressed the gun harder.

He laughed, “I’m sorry. I should introduce myself. I am Mr Lyle and you do not need to worry, you will be reunited with your brother very soon.”

*********************************************

“Daniel,” Sam snapped as she watched her friend sorting through papers, “We are due at O’Malley’s in twenty minutes.”

“And?” Daniel asked absently.

“It takes forty to get there,” she replied dryly.

Daniel gave her a quick smile, “Two minutes.”

“Is that two minutes my time or yours?” Sam asked with a grin.

Before Daniel could answer his phone rang.

“Don’t,” Sam groaned as he grabbed it.

“Yeah,” Daniel answered the phone grinning at Sam, his face fell to become much more serious after a second, “Okay, I’ll do that. No, I’ll be there soon.”

“Daniel?” Sam asked worried.

He turned to her and gave a sad smile, “I’m going to have to cancel.”

Sam frowned at him, “You know Cameron’s going to annoy me all night since I promised you’d come.”

“Sorry, Sam,” Daniel told her, “But this is something I have to do.”

Sam nodded squeezing his shoulder, “Okay, I’ll see you tomorrow.”

Daniel caught her hand his blue eyes serious, “Couple of weeks but I’ll be back after that.”

“Daniel?” Sam asked worriedly.

He gave her a comforting smile, “Don’t worry; I’ve just got to go visit someone.”

Sam gave him a kiss on his cheek before going to join the others at the restaurant leaving Daniel sitting at his desk.

Daniel waited until he knew she was gone before maximising his email account, opening the email sitting waiting for him. Adding a few things he sent it on.

Daniel groaned knowing he now had to get to the control room where the General was talking with Atlantis; this was going to be the hard part.



Landry listened as Elizabeth Weir continued her report, frowning in confusion as Dr Jackson wandered into the control room hands stuffed in his pockets. Landry liked the young doctor but didn’t always agree with him. However, the recommendations from both Hammond and O’Neill were so high that he would be a fool not to listen to Jackson’s opinions.

He watched as Jackson grabbed a seat at the computer talking softly to Walter who grinned and headed to get some coffee for himself. Landry then watched Jackson drum his fingers against the keyboard for a few minutes before he got annoyed.

“Are you wanting to speak with Weir?” he asked, making the other man look at him a little shocked at being addressed.

“What?” Jackson pulled his hands away from the desk, “No, I’m here to see you.”

Landry nodded, “Dr Weir, I’m afraid I have some things to finish. It was good to hear from you and Colonel Caldwell will be bringing what you asked for on his next trip to Atlantis.”

“Thank you, General,” Weir replied, “Talk to you next month.”

“Of course, Dr,” Landry said nodding to Walter who had by now returned, “Terminate the connection.”

“Yes, sir,” Walter nodded.

Landry turned to Jackson who had moved to lean against the stairs, he was sure the other man deliberately acted as non-military as possible around him just to be annoying, which according to Jack was very likely.

“Dr Jackson,” Landry motioned him to walk, “What can I do for you?”

“I need two weeks off,” Jackson told him, straight to the point, “I have some personal business to attend to.”

Landry frowned, according to Jackson’s file he very rarely asked for time off, in fact there were several instances of forced vacation time so the request was surprising.

“It’s two weeks that I’m owed,” Jackson said sounding annoyed, “It’s not like we have much going on at the moment.”

Landry stopped, “You automatically assume I’m refusing your leave request.”

“Vacation,” Jackson rolled his eyes, “I’m not military.”

Landry laughed, “I’ll see you in two weeks, Dr.”

Jackson nodded to him before disappearing.

*********************************************

John was standing at the entrance to Rodney’s lab watching the other man as he sat on the floor with his eyes closed, his legs crossed and hands resting on his knees while he breathed deeply.

“What are you doing standing there, John?” Rodney asked without opening his eyes.

“Wondering what you’re doing sitting there,” John replied, stepping inside properly as his friend jumped up and took a seat on the stool, “What if it wasn't me?”

“I’d have known,” Rodney laughed, “I’ve been practicing.”

“Practicing what?” John asked leaning against the nearest wall.

“Sensing people,” Rodney’s eyes lit up with enthusiasm, “I didn’t do it for a long time but now I can and I’ve been making sure I can do it.”

John smiled slightly, “Just be careful, Rodney.”

His friend shrugged with another smile, “Why are you here anyway? I thought you were running exercises today.”

“Ronon joined in,” John grinned, “After that…let’s just say Carson had a few patients he wasn't expecting.”

Rodney laughed turning as his computer beeped announcing the arrival of an email, he tapped a key to open it freezing as he read the text.

“Rodney?” John felt a shiver slide along his spine at his friend’s reaction.

“I have to go to Earth,” Rodney breathed before he started to run towards the control room.



“Rodney, you can’t do this,” John snapped following his friend around his room as he packed quickly, “This is a trap.”

“And you don’t think I know this?” Rodney said softly, not bothering to look at John, “This is my sister, John.”

“You don’t know that,” John growled, annoyed at his friend.

Rodney stopped and turned to John, “Look, the message came from Jarod. There’s an underlying signal in the email that can’t be faked. I have to help her.”

“I thought you hated your family?” John tried his last ditch effort to stop his friend doing what he thought was a huge mistake.

“I hate my parents,” Rodney replied, his voice soft, “But Jeannie’s ten months younger than I am; she wasn't a part of what they did,” he looked into his friend’s eyes, “I miss her.”

John winced at the anguish in his friend’s voice, “Promise me that you’ll be careful.”

“Worried about me, Colonel?” Rodney asked amused.

“Don’t want to lose our resident genius,” John replied with a smirk, “Kavanagh might try to take your place on the team.”

“He wouldn’t last the day,” Rodney threw over his shoulder as he zipped up his bag.

John grabbed his arm as Rodney walked past, “Look after yourself.”

“I’ll be fine,” Rodney told him, clapping his friend’s shoulder, “Just keep Zelenka in line while I’m gone.”



Rodney took a deep breath and stepped through the open wormhole heading down the ramp instantly when his feet hit the metal.

“General,” he greeted Landry sharply slipping into Dr McKay easily; “I’m assuming I need to go to the infirmary then I have to leave quickly.”

“Dr Weir asked that we arrange transport,” Landry replied just as brusquely, “It’s waiting for you.”

“Thank you,” Rodney turned and headed to the infirmary.

He sat through the routine medical worrying about the email, about his sister and about what they were going to do. He forced himself to remain calm until he was able to leave the mountain. He drove until he was at a hotel where he took a room and connected his computer up.

Rodney paced as he waited jumping as the computer beeped at him finally.

“What are you doing here?” Jarod demanded when Rodney answered.

Fixing the web cam Rodney frowned, “Your message.”

Jarod shook his head, “I didn’t send you any message. Rodney, you’ve put yourself in danger.”

Rodney grimaced, “What about Jeannie? The message said she’d been captured by the Centre.”

“She has,” Jarod replied, “Along with my sister Emily. I’ve been working on a way to get them out.”

“Then I’m coming,” Rodney told him, “Where will I meet you?”

*********************************************

Tim had worked in the Centre for several years and knew the sound that he was hearing was the warning signal for danger.

The sharp clicking of high heels on the floor was the herald that Miss Parker was on her way and by the ferociousness of the footsteps he knew he should find a place to hide because if she was in a bad mood then he wanted to be nowhere near her.



“What the hell is going on?” Parker snapped as she marched into her father’s office.

“Angel,” Mr Parker smiled at her, the woman before him the absolute image of his wife, “What’s wrong?”

“Wrong?” she snapped, “I have just heard that my…brother,” she grimaced in distaste, “Is holding the sisters of both Jarod and Rodney.”

Mr Parker smiled proudly, “Grabbed them last night.”

“And why wasn't I informed of this,” she demanded crossing her arms, “Daddy, I have been chasing Jarod for you for…”

“I know, Angel,” Parker placated, “I was waiting for you to come in this morning.”

“Well I’m in,” she replied.

Mr Parker laughed softly, “They’re being held in one of our safe houses. Lyle made sure it was leaked so that Jarod will come after them.”

“And Rodney?” Parker asked.

“We have people working within the SGC,” Mr Parker reminded her, “However it’s not the easiest thing to do sending a message through to Atlantis without anyone noticing it.”

“When do we expect Jarod to come after them?” Miss Parker asked her mind noting the last sentence.

Mr Parker shrugged, “You know Jarod, Angel, when you least expect him.”



Parker swore under her breath as she marched to her own office. This was not going to be easy, working with Lyle while making sure Jarod got both women out of there and making it look like she was trying to capture him.

“Parker,” the soft accented voice of Sydney made her look up to the door where he stood, “You seem annoyed.”

“That weasel who is my brother has Jarod’s sister,” Parker told him, “As well as Rodney’s. I’m going to help keep him in line.”

“Your affection for them both divides your loyalties,” Sydney told her.

Parker gave him a hard stare, “I’m not the one who blew up Raines to stop him shooting my prize project.”

“Touché,” Sydney moved over to her, “Lyle is very dangerous especially where Jarod is concerned.”

“I’m touched by your concern, Syd,” she rolled her eyes, “Keep Broots working on Jarod’s last lair.”

With that she grabbed her coat and headed out the door.



Jeannie was curled against the wall as Emily paced the small room obviously waiting for something to happen.

“I thought he was dead,” Jeannie spoke up, making Emily turn to her.

“What?” Emily asked confused.

“Rodney,” Jeannie clarified, “My parents told me he’d died and we went through a whole memorial service for him. I cried for days that my big brother was gone,” she stopped sighing, “Damn them, they made me think he was dead.”

“How did you find out he wasn’t?” Emily asked her voice soft filled with empathy.

Jeannie looked up at her sadly, “My parent’s after years and years of arguing finally divorced. I was cleaning out some things for my mother as she refuses to go near our old house even if my Dad is on a different continent. I fell over the letters between them and the people who took Rodney.”

Jeannie fell into silence for a few minutes, “They sold him,” Jeannie let out a soft snort, “Can you believe it that? My parents sold their only son!!!!”

Emily sat beside her, “The Centre stole Jarod and Kyle. I never knew them. I only met Jarod a few months ago but I never got to meet Kyle before he was killed.”

“I’m sorry,” Jeannie sighed, “I…em…I started looking and suddenly you contact me to tell me not to look for him. This is so strange.”

“I’m sorry about this,” Emily whispered, “Jarod told me to get you off the trail for a while.”

“He knows where Rodney is?” Jeannie asked carefully.

Emily pressed her tongue against her top lip, “I don’t know. He just emailed me to talk to you.”

Jeannie stared at the other woman, “I don’t get this, I don’t understand why this is happening.”

Emily sighed and gently squeezed the other woman’s shoulder, “Because our brothers are geniuses with abilities that these people want to use to make a lot of money. And we’re the pawns they’re using to get to them.”

Jeannie rubbed her face trying to find something to say. All she could think of was, “Swell.”
Chapter 2 by LE McMurray
Rodney stopped the car and jumped out smiling as Jarod moved to greet him.

“You shouldn’t have come,” Jarod said instantly.

Rodney rolled his eyes, “Hello to you too.”

Jarod relented and hugged his friend, “It is good to see you but you shouldn’t have left Atlantis.”

“Tell me what’s happening,” Rodney demanded as he grabbed his bags.

Jarod filled him in quickly on recent events before his rescue plan. Rodney nodded quickly, “It’s good though how did you plan to get away?”

“By van,” Jarod replied.

Rodney laughed, “Easier if you have someone else driving. Get them out and I’ll be waiting to get us out of there instantly.”

Jarod nodded and smiled, “Let’s go get them.”

*********************************************

Emily turned to where Jeannie was sitting hunched against the wall wishing she had something to say to comfort the other woman.

“Have you known about this all your life?” Jeannie asked suddenly.

Emily sighed, “Pretty much. You have to understand that because of what my family knew and who my brothers are they don’t want us wandering around. Because they made a deal with your parents they didn’t keep the same sort of tabs on them.”

“Guess you haven’t exactly had a chance to do the things you wanted with your life?” Jeannie noted.

“No,” Emily slid to sit against the opposite wall, “A few years ago I met a guy who was the sweetest, kindest, smartest…he had this smile…” she trailed off with a sigh as she thought about him, “Anyway, I was really starting to fall for him but the Centre found out where I was and I had to leave.”

“Did you get to say goodbye to him?” Jeannie asked interested, wanting to focus on anything but where they were.

“I had to send him a Dear John email,” Emily grimaced before shaking her head, “He’s better off without me and what my life brings anyway.”

Jeannie winced as she saw the sadness fill Emily’s eyes, “So what about this brother of yours? What’s he like?”

“Yes,” an amused voice asked from the shadows, “What is he like?”

“Jarod,” Emily whispered in relief, hugging her brother as he stepped fully into the room.

Jarod grinned at her before turning to Jeannie; he was at least a foot taller than both her and Emily with long slightly mussed dark hair, broad shoulders and a mischievous look filling his dark eyes.

“You would be Jeannie,” he smiled at her, “I can see the resemblance but we can talk about that later. We have to get you two out of here now.”

“How?” Jeannie demanded, “How did you even get in here?”

Jarod smiled, “I came in the back way that isn’t an option now though.”

Jeannie’s eyes widened as she heard yells, “Which way?”

“Come on,” Jarod motioned them forward, stopping them he titled his head slightly before kicking the door as it opened.

As he reopened it they saw two men laying unconscious, guns lying just beside their hands. Jarod motioned them forward taking the lead; he jumped over the banister knocking out the next two men coming for them.

“Almost there,” Jarod told them as they joined him at the bottom of the stairs, “There’s a van coming for us. Jump in the moment it gets here.”

“Jarod,” Emily whispered worriedly.

“I’m right behind you;” he assured her, “Go now.”

Emily grabbed Jeannie’s arm and they started to run out the door into the dark street. A van came skidding round the corner and stopped, the door slid open and a man looked at them over the driver’s seat.

“Get in,” he called.

Jeannie had no time to think about it as Emily pushed her in and pulled the door shut.

“Hold on,” the man told them, “When Jarod gets in I’ll have to go fast.”



Jarod saw the women run and turned finding he was facing the barrel of a gun held by Miss Parker.

“Stay right there,” she told him, “Nice of you to spring our little trap.”

Jarod grinned at her as he raised his hands, “You’re looking good, Parker. I like the way you’ve cut your hair.”

Parker kept her eyes trained on him noticing the small remote control in his hand, “Get back,” she called to the men who were coming to help her just as the smoke bomb went off.

Jarod grabbed Parker tossing her gun to one side he spun her pulling her so her back was against his chest.

“Miss you,” he murmured, giving her cheek a quick kiss, “And sorry,” he flung her forward into the men coming after him as he ran to the van.

“Go,” Jarod yelled jumping in the van, he looked back seeing Parker glaring at him a slight smile tugging at her lips with Mr Lyle standing behind her anger in his eyes.



“Wonderful trap,” Parker turned to her twin brother, “Absolutely first class.”

“You had him,” Lyle reminded her.

“Yes, the smoke bomb and getting pushed into you were just a ruse to catch him,” she rolled her eyes at him, “Now what? I assume you had a plan for this eventuality?”

He glared at her, “If the sweepers had done their job…”

Parker crossed her arms and turned to walk back into the house, “I should have known Lyle, you have never taken Jarod or his abilities seriously that’s why he wins every time.”

“What’s your excuse?” he shot at her.

“I take him too seriously,” she replied entering the house.

***********************************************

Jeannie jumped out of the van the moment she could. They had driven for several hours, all of them in silence until finally arriving at this warehouse where they’d stopped and Jarod had let them out.

Jeannie turned to see Emily hugging her brother again before looking past at the man who had been driving. He was leaning against the van’s side staring at her and she felt a shiver slide down her spine, he looked so familiar.

Jarod saw them looking at each other, “Jeannie meet Rodney.”

Jeannie’s eyes widened in astonishment, “Rodney?”

He shrugged walking over to her, “Bit of a disappointment I bet.”

Jeannie gave a choked sob and grabbed him in a tight hug, “Oh God, you’re safe.”

Rodney looked a little stunned but after a second he hugged her back, holding onto her tightly a tear trailing along his cheek.

“You shouldn’t have come looking for me,” Rodney told her, “You’ve put yourself in danger.”

“I thought you were dead,” Jeannie wiped her eyes, “I wanted my brother back.”

He dropped his head but couldn’t say anything else as another man arrived.

“You took your time,” the older man said with a grin.

“Dad,” Emily smiled, moving to him and hugging him tightly.

Jarod nodded at his father as the man grasped his shoulder.

“So, you must be Rodney and Jeannie,” he smiled at them, “I’m their father, everyone calls me Major Charles.”

“Hi,” Jeannie managed to say.

Rodney moved and shook the man’s hand, “Jarod said you’d be able to help.”

Major Charles nodded.

“Before we do anything,” Jarod said turning to Rodney, “We have to work out who sent you the message.”

“I can answer that,” Major Charles replied, “I passed the message onto a friend who sent it to Rodney.”

“Who do you know from the SGC who could do that?” Rodney demanded worried.

“Me,” a new voice interrupted making them turn.

“Daniel?” Jarod and Rodney said in unison as they stared at the man who was leaning against the wall hands stuffed in his pockets.

Daniel waved his hand slightly, “Hi.”



“Major Charles and Jack have been friends for a long time,” Daniel explained as they all sat eating, “I first met him several years ago while I was staying with Jack just after my wife was…was killed,” he managed to say, “I think Jack believed I wasn't really taking anything in so he didn’t bother when Major Charles came for help.”

Rodney frowned, “You ended up knowing about Pretenders?”

Daniel nodded, “Yeah. When you and your Dad found each other again he sent us both a picture so that if you appeared where we were then we could help.”

“That’s why you let me go to Atlantis,” Jarod mused, “Because you also knew about Rodney.”

Daniel shrugged with a smile, “Exactly. Your Dad sent me the email you sent him about your sisters so I made sure it was passed to Rodney under Landry’s nose, which trust me wasn't easy.”

“Why?” Jarod demanded, “Bringing Rodney back here was the worst idea you could have.”

“I didn’t think he’d come back,” Daniel shrugged, “But he needed to know.”

Rodney rolled his eyes, “And I know and I’m here. My question is what now?”

“He’s right,” Emily spoke up, “The Centre know Jeannie’s learned about them, she’s not safe anymore.”

Daniel clicked his tongue getting everyone’s attention, “Sorry I was just thinking. What about Atlantis?”

“What?” everyone asked.

“When Rodney returns to Atlantis, you three go too,” Daniel explained, “Jack and I were talking a few weeks ago about how Weir needs some admin staff to help her keep things together now the city’s occupancy is a lot higher than originally planned.”

“That’s actually a good idea,” Major Charles mused, “It’ll get you girls off their radar long enough so that when you come back you can disappear.”

Jarod nodded turning to Daniel, “Can you arrange this?”

“No,” Daniel smiled, “But I know a man who can.”



“Daniel, there are times I wonder where you get these ideas from,” Jack O’Neill laughed, leaning back in his chair.

“You have to admit it’s a good one,” Daniel replied, his arms crossed defensively.

“It’s ingenious,” Jack cried gleefully, “Daniel, it’s absolutely perfect.”

“But can you do it?” Daniel leaned back in his chair.

“With the ID’s Jarod and Rodney fixed, easily,” Jack grinned before looking thoughtful, “What’s he really like?”

“Who?”

“Rodney,” Jack clarified, “I’ve met the ‘persona’ so what’s he really like?”

Daniel shrugged, “He’s a good guy. Not as irritating as he puts on.”

“And how’s his sister dealing with this?”

“She hasn’t said much,” Daniel told his friend, “I don’t know how she’ll cope with this Jack but there’s no other choice. If the Centre gets a hold of her then they’ve got Rodney in the palm of their hand.”

“Tell Major Charles I’ll keep his kids safe,” Jack said, “All you have to do is get those four ready to leave tonight.”

Daniel nodded, “They will be,” Daniel started to leave before stopping and turning back to his friend, “We have to do something about them sooner or later Jack. You know that.”

Jack sighed, “I know, Danny but until we’re sure we can get rid of them completely even letting them know we’re going to try could put an end to any effort.”

“I know,” Daniel whispered, “But they are going to pay one day for what they did to my parents."

*********************************************

The Daedalus moved through the stars heading back to Atlantis. In the small room she’d been assigned Jeannie sat going over the cover story she’d been given by her brother.

Her head hurt, over the past few days she’d been called to a clandestine meeting, kidnapped, rescued and was now being sent to another galaxy so the kidnappers couldn’t find her again. The last bit especially was contributing hugely to her headache.

“Are you okay?” Emily asked as she entered the room with some coffee for them.

“Now there’s a loaded question,” Jeannie replied, sharper than she’d intended to, “How are you…how can you…”

“A lot of practice,” Emily shrugged with a wry grimace.

Jeannie couldn’t think of a reply so instead took a long drink of her coffee.

“Rodney’s trying his hardest,” Emily broached seeing Jeannie’s eyes harden.

“I don’t want to talk about it,” Jeannie snapped, “I have to learn this.”

Emily shrugged sitting down on her bunk pulling out a red notebook to learn the back-story she had been given.



“She hates me,” Rodney sighed when Jarod arrived.

“Jeannie doesn’t hate you,” Jarod replied as his friend dropped his head onto the table, “This is just a hard thing to take in. Everything that’s happened over the past few days is a lot to process.”

Rodney glanced up, “Emily is taking it well.”

“Emily’s used to things like this,” Jarod reminded him, “It’s only for a few months Rodney, then we’ll send them back through the Stargate once Daniel sends us notice it’s safe.”

“Few months,” Rodney sighed, “This is going to be hell.”

“Have you warned her?” Jarod asked amused, “About ‘Dr McKay’?”

Rodney frowned at him, “She saw me yelling at some of the others. She scowled and left.”

Jarod started to laugh.

“It’s not funny, Jarod,” Rodney snapped, “If there is any hint I’m not who I said I am…Elizabeth will lose any faith she had in me. I’m needed there Jarod and if she doesn’t trust me…”

“I know,” Jarod leaned back in his chair, “It’ll be nice to see Atlantis again.”

“I hope nothing’s happened while I’ve been away,” Rodney sighed groaning again, “How long till we get there?”

“Ten days,” Jarod reminded him.

“I should probably get to work then,” Rodney pulled himself up, “Talk to you later.”



The next ten days were quiet as the Daedalus headed to its destination. Rodney as usual played Dr McKay noting that Jeannie avoided him. He hadn’t wanted this, he hadn’t wanted her involved in this but now she was and Rodney knew he could only deal with it.

Emily on the other hand was fascinated by everything; Rodney often saw her and Jarod in deep discussion or even just teasing each other. Brother and sister even after so many years apart. It was hard not to be jealous.

“Dr McKay to the bridge,” the call went out for him and Rodney spun heading to the bridge.

“You called,” he said brusquely to Caldwell when he entered the control centre of the ship.

“Dr Weir wishes to talk to you,” Caldwell told him, the slight condescension he always had when talking to anyone non-military in his voice.

“Elizabeth?” Rodney ignored the Colonel.

“Good to hear your voice Rodney,” Elizabeth told him, “Now do you want to explain what’s going on?”

“This had absolutely nothing to do with me,” Rodney defended himself, “General O’Neill told me to tell you you’ll get used to it at some point.”

“Remind me to do something equally nasty to him,” Elizabeth murmured, “I’ll talk to you when you get here.”

“From what I’ve been told it’ll be a few hours,” Rodney told her.

“I’ll see you soon,” Elizabeth laughed before cutting communication.

Rodney sighed softly before heading off the bridge; it was time to make sure they were ready.



“I know how hard this is, Jeannie,” Rodney said softly as they walked through the corridors, “But you have to make sure that you don’t let anyone know what’s happening.”

“I know,” she replied sharply.

“Jeannie…”

“Rodney,” she hissed annoyed at him, “You may be the genius but I’m not stupid.”

“I didn’t…”

“Rodney,” she cut him off, “I know what I have to do. I know it okay?”

He nodded as they joined Jarod and Emily; he’d managed to talk Caldwell into beaming them straight to Elizabeth’s office. ‘Talk’ meaning bug the hell out of him until he’d gave up.

“Rodney,” Elizabeth grinned as he appeared in front of her, “Good to have you back.”

Rodney nodded at her, “Nice to know the place is still here. I take it Zelenka managed to stop anyone doing any permanent damage?”

Elizabeth rolled her eyes, “You can trust your team,” she turned to Jarod, “Good to see you also, Dr Starr.”

“It’s nice to be back,” Jarod smiled.

Elizabeth smiled before turning to Jeannie and Emily, “I hope you two don’t take any offence to the fact I don’t need you.”

“I think you’ll find we’re not that bad,” Emily smiled, “I’m Emily Starr.”

Elizabeth looked surprise, “As in his sister?”

“Yes,” Emily laughed.

“And this is Jeannie,” Rodney introduced, “My sister.”

Elizabeth stared at her for a second before turning to Rodney then Jarod and Emily, “Is this a joke?”

“Of the enormous variety,” Jeannie spoke up, she could see Rodney staring at her panicked, “General O’Neill found it incredibly amusing when we ran into each other just before leaving Earth.”

“The man has a sick sense of humour,” Elizabeth agreed, “Well welcome to Atlantis. Rodney, John has already set aside rooms for our new arrivals. I’ll see you tomorrow for senior staff.”

Rodney nodded and motioned everyone out before turning back as a thought struck him.

“Where’s John?” Rodney asked, wanting to fill his friend in quickly.

“On the mainland,” Elizabeth told him, “One of the women is pregnant so he took Carson over. I think he’s missed you. They’ll be back later tonight.”

“Yeah, well it’s boring without someone to fight with,” Rodney murmured.

With that he headed to catch up with the other three.

He could relax now, they were on Atlantis meaning both Emily and Jeannie were safe. Unfortunately Rodney knew something was still coming.
Chapter 3 by LE McMurray
John sat drumming his fingers on the console waiting for Carson to get through with the check-up they were on the mainland for. He knew Rodney was due back soon and he was anxious to find out what had happened with his sister. John had been relieved when he’d heard Rodney was on the Daedalus, mostly so Zelenka would shut up.

“You are anxious.”

John looked up to where Ronon was standing; he hadn’t heard him approach, “What makes you think that?”

“You have been acting restless since Dr McKay left,” Ronon noted, “You worry about him more than anyone else.”

“Have you actually met McKay?” John laughed.

Ronon frowned.

“It’s an expression,” John told him quickly, “I just mean that Rodney gets in trouble almost every time he opens his mouth and we kinda need him on Atlantis.”

Ronon looked unconvinced but nodded, “Dr Beckett will be here soon, Teyla has decided to stay for the night.”

John shrugged, he had a feeling she’d stick around her people for a few extra hours now if Carson would only move his ass John could get back and check his friend was still in one piece.



“It amazes me that you are called genius yet you do such stupid things.”

“Hello to you too, Radek,” Rodney smiled as the Czech scientist glared at him.

Zelenka let off a stream of expletives in his native language before throwing his hands in the air, “Are you alright?”

“I’m fine,” Rodney shrugged, “But there is some stuff you need to know but it’ll be easier if I tell you and John together.”

Zelenka rolled his eyes, “He has been unbearable since you left worrying about you.”

Rodney dropped his head reminding Zelenka how different the real Rodney was from the façade he portrayed to the rest of the world.

Hey Doc,” John’s voice interrupted them over the radio, “Is he back yet?”

Zelenka motioned Rodney to answer who smiled.

“John, I’m back and I’m fine,” Rodney told him, “Are you in Atlantis yet?”

Just landed.”

“Good,” Rodney breathed, “Meet me in my lab, there’s something we need to tell you.”

How bad is this?” John asked sounding worried, “On a scale of one to ten?”

“About a five,” Rodney laughed, “Just get to my lab and I’ll explain.”

*********************************************

Parker stood in her father’s office her expression blank as she waited for him. Her brother was standing in the opposite corner annoyance clearly written on his face, it had been three weeks since Jarod had rescued both women and there had been no sightings of him since. Normally Jarod would have got in touch with one of them at least once but there had been nothing.

Parker was worried.

“Since there’s been nothing from Jarod in several weeks,” Mr Parker said the instant he entered the room, “It’s been decided that you are both going to bring Rodney home this time.”

“What?” Lyle looked even more annoyed at this.

“You’re sending us to Atlantis?” Parker asked a little confused, “How are you going to do that, Daddy? I thought you wouldn’t be able to get anyone else back into the SGC.”

Mr Parker nodded, “That was true. However we have as you know some contacts that can get you both assigned to the ship that travels between here and Atlantis. This time you bring Rodney back and we use him to get Jarod. Understand?”

Parker pursed her lips, “Daddy, I am known to the people there but I don’t know if…brother dear can blend in.”

“I can blend,” Lyle told her, “As long as you don’t tell Rodney who I am.”

Parker crossed her arms giving him a frosty glare, “I don’t like what you’re accusing me of. If Rodney finds out who you are it’s due to his gifts. You think Jarod is incredible because of his Pretender abilities you obviously haven’t seen Rodney at his best. He will know you’re a danger to him.”

“And you’re not?” Lyle laughed.

“Rodney’s gifts are clouded by his emotions,” Parker continued, “He has always seen me as his friend since we were children. He won’t suspect I would bring him back here.”

Mr Parker shook his head, “I’m sorry, Angel but after the last time the Triumberate feel it would be better if you both go.”

Parker winced inwardly this would be hell.

“When do we leave?” she asked.

“The Daedalus shall return in a month,” their father told her, “That gives you time to continue to track Jarod until then.”



“Are you kidding me?” John demanded as he stared at Jarod, Emily and Jeannie, “You can’t seriously believe you can keep this a secret.”

“We didn’t have a choice,” Rodney replied, sitting with his arms crossed, “This was the only way we knew that could keep them safe.”

“This isn’t exactly the ideal solution,” Jarod interrupted, “But it is the only one we had at the time.”

“Considering the Earth ZPM was destroyed the only way here is via the Daedalus,” Rodney reminded him, “It means we will have warning before anyone new comes through.”

“Major,” Jarod started.

“Colonel,” Rodney corrected, “They promoted him for some reason.”

A soft giggle came from Emily as John frowned at her; Zelenka hid a grin as Jeannie gave a very slight smile.

“Colonel,” Jarod corrected, “We had no choice. Emily knows how to fit in and Jeannie has spent the entire journey here making sure she doesn’t give us away. It’s only for a few months and then we should be able to take them home.”

John groaned dropping his head into his hands before something occurred to him, “You’re telling me General O’Neill knows who you really are?”

Rodney nodded.

“I think that worries more than anything,” John muttered before sighing, “Alright, just you two try and keep out of trouble, don’t get too friendly with anyone because we don’t need that kind of exposure. If Elizabeth finds out, if Caldwell finds out… this is not a five, Rodney.”

Rodney shrugged, “I didn’t want to worry you.”



Rodney sat catching up on everything that had happened over the few weeks he’d been gone. Jarod and John had taken Jeannie and Emily to their rooms while Zelenka had disappeared back to his own work.

He was scared, Rodney admitted to himself, but bringing Jeannie here had been the only solution they had at the time.

“It is not that bad,” Zelenka said from the doorway.

Rodney sighed, “I can’t shake the feeling something’s coming, Radek. It’s been with me since we boarded the Daedalus.”

“Have you told Jarod?” Zelenka took a seat.

Rodney shook his head, “He’s worried enough about Emily I can’t heap this on him as well. And John takes these things worryingly too serious.”

“Your empathic abilities are incredible,” Zelenka reminded him, “John has never known anything like them before so he takes everything about it deadly serious.”

Rodney sighed, “You can’t say anything, Radek, not until I’m sure.”

Zelenka frowned but nodded, “I promise but you must tell us the moment you are sure.”

“Sure,” Rodney grinned.

Zelenka rolled his eyes, “You are impossible, no matter who you are being.”

*********************************************

Jeannie sat sorting through the screeds of paper Elizabeth had sitting around her office, she and Emily had each taken over one section to sort. Jeannie was comfortable doing this work; she’d worked as a secretary in a legal office during college for extra money so this morning when they’d started their ‘new job’ Jeannie didn’t actually mind.

“I do have a system,” Elizabeth said, making Jeannie looked up, “Honestly I do.”

“It’s not that bad,” Jeannie laughed softly, “I’ve worked in places with worse systems.”

Elizabeth couldn’t stop her smile, “As long as you can understand it then there’s no problem but Dr Beckett wants to see both you and Emily as soon as possible.”

“Dr Beckett?” Jeannie asked confused and a little worried.

“Our Chief Medical Officer,” Elizabeth clarified, “He likes to touch base with all new personnel. You’ll get the standard speech. It’s nothing to worry about.”

“I’ll grab Emily on my way there,” Jeannie gave her a small smile before jumping up and heading to where Emily was working hoping between them they could find the infirmary.



Emily was sitting sifting through papers, “Your brother is so meticulously neat it’s scary,” she said as Jeannie appeared.

Not wanting to talk about anything to do with her brother Jeannie just nodded, “The Doctor wants to see us.”

“Which one?” Emily asked with a grin, “There are so many around here it makes my head spin.”

“I think this is the medical one,” Jeannie replied softly, “The Chief…Medical something or other.”

“Well we may as well go,” Emily smiled standing up.

“Doesn’t this ever bother you?” Jeannie asked getting annoyed that Emily wasn't.

Emily shrugged, “My life has always revolved around the fact that we had to keep moving, that the Centre had stolen my brothers and they were after us. So now I’m somewhere they aren’t, I’m enjoying it.”

Jeannie let out an annoyed sigh heading towards the infirmary not even noticing that Emily was following her until Emily grabbed her arm.

“You don’t have to get angry with me,” Emily told the other woman, “I’m not the one you’re mad at.”

“I don’t know who that is,” Jeannie replied, motioning the door ahead of them, “I think we found it.”

Emily smiled and headed in followed by Jeannie, “See, who needs the…” she trailed off suddenly making Jeannie turn to her worried finding Emily staring at the man who was staring right back.

“Emily,” the man whispered.

“Oh no,” Jeannie breathed.



Carson Beckett had been having a good day until he turned to the woman who walked through his door.

She hadn’t changed at all in the few years it had been since he last saw her. Her dark brown hair was slightly longer but it still framed her pale face like a curtain. Her dark brown eyes were wide with astonishment and shock.

“Carson,” she stammered.

Horror filled him and he caught her arm pulling her to one side, “What are you doing here?”

“I’m one of Dr Weir’s new admin assistants,” Emily said automatically.

“You’re a reporter,” Carson snapped, “You can’t be here.”

“Carson, you don’t understand,” Emily tried to calm him.

“Emily…how did you…I don’t care,” Carson closed his eyes, “Emily, if they discover you’re a reporter…”

“I’m not,” Emily tried to tell him again, “Carson, you have to listen to me.”

He looked at her the betrayal he’d felt the day she’d left flooding into his eyes, “No.”



Jeannie hit the button on her radio, “Rodney?”

“Jeannie?” he sounded surprised that she was calling him, “What’s wrong?”

“It’s Emily…” Jeannie hesitated, not knowing who else could overhear this.

“It’s a secure channel,” Rodney told her sensing her worries.

“The Doctor knows Emily from before,” Jeannie told him.

“Which Doctor?”

“Doctor…” she hesitated, trying to remember his name, “Beckett.”

“Damn it,” Rodney snapped, “I’ll be right there.”

Jeannie could hear him starting to run just before her radio clicked off. She looked back at where Emily was looking like a deer caught in the headlights as she tried to talk to the Doctor. This was obviously the guy Emily had been forced to leave and Jeannie felt sorry for both of them. She could feel the anguish radiating off Emily as she tried to explain without explaining to the man who looked totally shocked by Emily’s appearance.

She heard footsteps coming quickly behind her and she turned relieved for the first time since she first saw him relief that her brother was there.

“Carson,” Rodney grabbed his friends arm and pulled him into a corner talking fast as Jarod appeared behind them and he pulled Emily away. Jeannie watched both pair of people talk wishing she could help in some way.

*********************************************

“Rodney, you cannae be serious about this,” Carson snapped, “I know this woman; she was a reporter, Rodney we have to tell Elizabeth that this is a security breach.”

“Carson,” Rodney started to think fast, “General O’Neill sent her, he knows who she is and she’s here for a reason.”

“And what the bloody hell is that?” Carson demanded.

“To work with Elizabeth,” Rodney replied, “She used to work with a newspaper, not anymore.”

“Why is she using a different name then?” Carson challenged.

“Maybe she got married,” Rodney shrugged, “I don’t know, maybe her real name wasn't the one she used when she knew you.”

Rodney realised he should have kept his mouth shut on that one as the pain filtered into his friend’s eyes.

“Maybe,” Carson stated coldly.

“General O’Neill sent her here, Carson,” Rodney reminded him, “Elizabeth knows who she is,” Rodney took a chance, hoping that Carson would not go to her about this, “No one else is supposed to.”

“Why do you know?” Carson demanded angrily.

“Because she’s Jarod’s sister and we’re friends,” Rodney couldn’t get out of his mind how weak this argument was.

Carson glared at him for a few moments before nodding, “Alright,” he sighed annoyed, “For now.”

Rodney nodded, “I have to get back to my lab before Kavanagh destroys something else.”



Rodney left Carson in his office. He headed over to where Emily was sitting being comforted by Jarod as Jeannie stood by looking as though she felt useless.

“Well?” Jeannie asked him as he joined them.

“He’s not going to say anything for now,” Rodney told them squeezing Emily’s hand, “But…”

“But it won’t last long,” Emily finished for him, “It’s so typical of my life that the one place I came to escape is the one place I run right into my past.”

Jarod hugged her, “I know what you mean.”

“Are we safe?” Jeannie asked softly.

“For the moment,” Rodney replied, “But we better tell John about this because I sense a major problem with this.”

“You don’t have to have empathic abilities to know that,” Jarod rolled his eyes.

Rodney sighed, “Let’s get out of here just now. We’ll meet up again tonight about ten in my lab.”

“Come on,” Jeannie whispered to Emily, taking her by the arm, “We’ll see you later.”



“Rodney, this just hit a ten,” John snapped as he stalked into the lab just after ten o’clock, “How did this happen?”

Rodney turned to Jarod, “I told you he’d be a little upset.”

“McKay,” John snarled.

“This isn’t my fault,” Rodney told him, “How were we supposed to know that Emily and Carson knew each other?”

“It explains the feeling you had,” Zelenka noted, even as Rodney shook his head at him.

“What feeling?” John demanded annoyed.

Rodney frowned at Zelenka, “Thanks.”

“Rodney!!!”

“John, I felt something was coming,” Rodney explained, “This was obviously it.”

“Are you sure?” John demanded.

Rodney shrugged, “As I can be.”

To everyone’s surprise Jeannie started to laugh.

“What’s so funny?” John demanded.

“You are,” she cried in annoyance, “Listen to me. You have to tell him, now, today. Okay, forget debating this. He’s not going let this go and it’s more than likely he will go to Dr Weir. So tell him.”

John shrugged, “Next question,” he turned to the two Pretenders, “Who tells him?”
Chapter 4 by LE McMurray
Carson,

I didn't want to do this like this, in fact I didn't want to do this at all but my life is complicated and I can't get you involved in that.

I will always remember the time we spent together and if I could I would stay with you forever.

Take care

Love Emily




Carson's head was spinning, he'd never expected ever to see Emily again but all of a sudden in another galaxy she walked right into his infirmary. From the moment he'd sat beside her at the Conference when he was running late he'd been entranced by her, she was beautiful, smart and although she seemed delicate she was tougher than anyone he'd ever met. She'd been sad though, just something in her eyes that Carson had wanted to be able to take away, to cure whatever troubled her but it was obvious since she'd left that he couldn't. He didn't know why he'd kept her email or her picture but he couldn't bring himself to throw them away.

And now...

He was jerked out of his thoughts as someone knocked on his door; he really wanted to tell them to get lost but he was a doctor. Wearily he stood up to see what the problem was.

"Rodney?" Carson asked finding his friend standing there, shocked when Rodney pushed him back inside especially as John, Dr Starr and Emily followed them.

"Rodney, what the hell is going on?" Carson demanded, his eyes flitting to Emily as she stood solemnly in the corner.

Rodney took a deep breath, "Okay, we have something we need to tell you and it's...it's..."

"Rodney?" Carson asked worriedly, in all the time Carson had known him Rodney had never acted like this.

"I lied to you earlier," Rodney spoke quickly, "And we feel you should be told the truth."

"Truth?" Carson was getting confused.

"Does anyone else want to jump in?" Rodney pleaded to the other three.

Emily sighed and stepped forward, "Carson, the reason I left is because of my brother. Jarod...and Rodney they are both what are called Pretenders."

"Pretenders?" Carson asked a frown creasing his brow.

"Chameleons who can be whoever and whatever they want to be," John chipped in from his spot against the wall.

"Okay," Carson held up his hands to stop everything, "I want to know right now what the hell you are all going on about."

"I'm a genius," Rodney said, stopping Carson from making a remark back, "So is Jarod. We both have abilities that are hard to explain in such a short conversation but they are abilities that people have killed for. When I was a kid a group of people paid my parents to take me, the same people abducted Jarod from his family."

"Paid?" Carson stared at Rodney.

"Everyone seems to focus on that," Rodney murmured, "Carson, these people kept us locked up doing simulations until a few years ago when Jarod got us out. We both travelled around changing our identities to keep ourselves hidden from them. I became an astrophysicist for what was to be a while but then..."

Carson stared at him in horror as realisation filled his eyes, "You're not Dr..."

"No," John interrupted, "He is Dr McKay, he's just never had the formal education."

"How long have you known about this?" Carson demanded.

John shrugged, "About a month after Jarod arrived the first time."

"What?" Carson gasped, "What about Elizabeth? Does she know any of this?"

"No," Rodney's voice was soft, "And she can't be told either."

"Carson," Emily spoke up again before he could say anything, "You once asked me what I was running from. It's this. These people are still after not only Jarod and Rodney but my entire family," she stepped closer to him, "A few weeks ago Jeannie and I were kidnapped by them in a ploy to lure Jarod and Rodney back, we were rescued and this was the only place to come for our safety. If you tell Dr Weir then you put her in danger as well as all of us."

Carson was staring into her eyes astonishment in his own. He couldn't believe this; he couldn't believe any of it.

"Carson," Emily whispered.

"Get out," he snapped, "All of you now."

Rodney opened his mouth but was stopped by John from saying anything.

"This is kinda hard to get your head around, Doc," John told him, "Trust me I know but keeping this lot safe is important. We'll be in Rodney's lab when you're ready to talk." With that said he pushed Jarod and Rodney out.

"Carson," Emily moved a step closer, reaching out to touch his cheek, "I..."

"Please just leave," Carson stepped away from her.

Sadly she turned and left him staring at her back.

*********************************************

"Hey," Jeannie said softly as she found Emily wandering sadly towards her room, "You okay?"

Emily shook her head so Jeannie wrapped an arm around her shoulders leading Emily to her room. Once there Emily sank onto the bed, her tears slipping down her cheeks. Jeannie wrapped her arms around her friend hugging her as she cried for a few minutes.

"Damn them," Emily suddenly snapped, pulling away from Jeannie and starting to pace, "Why? What the hell gave them the right to screw with our lives like this?"

Jeannie dropped her head with a sigh.

"I hate this," Emily threw her hands up, "And the worst thing is...the worst thing is that we were meant to be safe from them here."

"Yeah," Jeannie agreed.

"I know you hate it here," Emily continued, "I know you would rather you'd never met any of us but we were meant to be safe here and...we just placed him in danger by letting him know all of this, Jeannie but what else could we do?"

Jeannie caught her friend's arm, "You need to get some rest. I'll see you in the morning okay?"

Emily sighed before nodding, "Thanks, Jeannie."



Jeannie took a deep breath as she thought of what Emily had just said to her about hating being here. That wasn't actually true. Despite how she'd ended up on Atlantis she did actually like it, this place was fascinating and once she had her head wrapped around it she knew she'd enjoy being here.

Without realising it she was outside the infirmary, looking in she found Dr Beckett staring at a laptop.

"Can I talk to you?" she asked pulling over a seat quickly.

"Do I get to say no?" his voice was bland filled with exhaustion.

Jeannie shrugged, "Actually no," she glanced around, making sure no one could overhear before turning back to him, "I know how crazy everything you were told about Rodney and Jarod sounds. Trust me I felt the exact same way."

"Really?"

"One minute my life was fine," Jeannie told him, "Next thing I discover the brother I assumed dead since he was five was sold by our parents because he has abilities I can't comprehend. I start searching and get a message to meet someone in a car park. I get chased then kidnapped at gunpoint before being rescued by my brother. Then I end up in another galaxy because it's the only way they can think of to keep us safe."

He continued to simply stare at her in silence.

Jeannie took this as a cue to continue, "You want to expose us fine do it but if you have ever trusted my brother, trust him now. Dr Beckett..."

"Carson," he told her.

"Carson," Jeannie resisted the urge to smile, "He's never hurt anyone and from what I understand he's saved your lives more than once."

Carson nodded, "I suppose you're right."

"Goodnight," Jeannie stood up, "Carson."



Carson walked towards Rodney's lab early the next morning. He could hear the voices and stood for a moment working out who was in the room.

Rodney was easy to distinguish as was John and Zelenka. He wondered how long Zelenka had known about this as well but he forced that from his mind for the moment. Emily, he didn't even hear her voice but he knew she was there from a soft sad laugh.

Taking a deep breath he walked in, finding Jeannie and Jarod standing there also.

"So?" John asked instantly.

Carson looked at them finding six pairs of eyes staring intently at him, he glanced at each of them individually for a moment his gaze holding Emily's a fraction longer before he turned back to John.

"I won't give you away," he told him coldly, "But I don't want anything to do with any of this."

"Carson," Emily started with a smile.

"I don't want to know," he snapped sharply, making her flinch before turning to Rodney, "But if something happens because of you, I won't hesitate to take this to Elizabeth."

Without waiting for a reply Carson turned and left. He couldn't get involved with her again, not again.

********************************************

The few weeks that followed were quiet.

Carson avoided every one of them over that time, if any of them needed to be in the infirmary he made sure another of the Doctor's took care of it. He actively avoided Emily making sure that whenever they were in the same room he found a way to leave as fast as possible.

Jeannie and Emily were settled into their jobs and working with Weir on improvements, Jarod was working with Major Lorne's team while Rodney continued as normal.

Not one realising the danger heading for them.



Parker was amazed by the Daedalus. If only Lyle hadn't been here she would have spent time relaxing and enjoying being here but she couldn't. She was beginning to panic about what was going to happen once they got to Atlantis. She had to make sure Rodney remained safe.

Irritation filled her at the thought that she somehow hadn't managed to shoot the bastard at some point before now but the opportunity had never come up.

"Come on, Rodney," Parker murmured, "Sense us coming. Sense the danger."

With a sigh she continued to pace worrying and wondering about Jarod as well.



"Unauthorised Offworld Activation," the cry pulled Jeannie out of her thoughts.

"Who is it?" Elizabeth asked as she arrived from her office.

"It's Colonel Sheppard's IDC."

"Drop the Shield," Elizabeth ordered as she ran down the stairs just as the team came through Ronon and John carrying an unconscious and blood covered Rodney.

"Rodney!!!" Jeannie gasped, running down as Elizabeth started yelling for a medical team.

Jeannie made it beside her brother grabbing his hand not noticing the team arrive until Ronon wrapped his arm around her waist and lifted her out of the way.

"The Doctor needs to work," he told her, setting her down beside where John was waiting.

"What happened?" Carson demanded all business as he checked Rodney.

"He dived into a river to save a kid that had fallen in," John explained tiredly, "He managed to hand us the kid but was swept away by the current and...he was battered by a lot by the rocks. When we got to him he wasn't breathing I performed CPR."

"Good," Carson nodded brusquely before turning to the medical team, "Move now."



Emily ran into the small room John, Jeannie, Teyla, Ronon and Zelenka were waiting for news on Rodney, Jarod was still offworld.

"Anything?" she asked, taking a seat beside Jeannie who was looking pale and fragile.

"Not yet," Zelenka replied from where he paced.

"He's going to be okay," Emily told Jeannie softly, "Carson's the best."

"He looked so pale," Jeannie whispered as she rubbed her hands together worriedly, "So still."

John sat beside her resting his hand on Jeannie's shoulder, "Rodney's tough. Trust me okay."

Jeannie looked up at him and for the first time John saw how similar her eyes were to Rodney.

"Okay," she nodded.

Noise at the door made them turn to find Carson appear looking tired but he gave them a nod.

"Rodney's going to be fine," he told them professionally, "It's mostly cuts and bruises and he's going to have a bad headache when he wakes up. You did well with the CPR Colonel Sheppard. However he will not be waking up for several hours so you should all leave for tonight."

"Can I sit with him for a while?" Jeannie asked softly.

Carson nodded, "Aye, just go and get some sleep yourself after."



Jeannie pulled the chair up beside her brother's bed relieved that there were no tubes or wires sticking out from him. He was sleeping peacefully, the only sign of what had happened was the dark bruising across his right cheek as well as the bandage around his head.

Unsurely she slipped her hand into his, smiling as he gripped it in his sleep.

"He's going to be fine you know," John said, pulling up a seat beside her and getting comfortable.

Jeannie looked over at him with a confused frown, "So why are you here?"

"Habit," John grinned, putting his feet up on the bed.

Jeannie sat staring at her brother aware of his best friend at her side for several minutes.

"I don't hate him," Jeannie broke the silence.

"I never thought you did."

"He does," Jeannie sighed, "And I don't, I was just a little mad."

"Rodney did nothing for you to be mad at him for," John reminded her.

Jeannie sat in silence for several minutes before she set Rodney's hand down and turned to John, "I was four when I was told my brother had died. I was devastated, Rodney used to read to me when we were kids. I mean he's less than a year older than I am and he read me stories when I was three. I was abducted at gunpoint, Colonel and then I was suddenly in another galaxy hiding out. I had a job, friends and a fiancé."

"You're engaged?" John asked surprised.

"Not anymore I bet," she rolled her eyes.

John laughed softly, "Sorry."

"It's not your fault," Jeannie shrugged, "And I know it's not his but it's not like I can be mad at the ones who made this happen."

"Do you want to know why I know Rodney's secret?" John asked her.

Jeannie shrugged, "Why?"

"We were in an accident off world," John told her leaning back in his seat a little more, "My leg was broken and I had internal bleeding, I needed a doctor. Rodney could have let Jarod do it but he took charge, he saved me. Rodney chose my life over his secret and that's one of the reasons I look out for him."

Jeannie smiled at him, "Thank you."



Carson left Jeannie sitting at her brother's bedside and headed back to his office. He sat down heavily rubbing his hand across his eyes tiredly; it had been a hell of a long day.

"You look tired."

Carson's head jerked up from his laptop at the soft voice to find Emily standing in the doorway concern on her face.

"It's been a long day," he replied, dropping his eyes and busying himself shifting papers about stopping when she rested her hand on top of them.

"There are other doctors here," Emily reminded him her voice was soft but there was a hint of reproach, "You need to sleep."

Carson sighed, "Em," he was cut off as she placed a finger across his lips silencing him.

"You have two choices," she told him sternly, "One, you go to your room and get some rest. Or two, I sit here and annoy you until you choose option one."

"Em," Carson sighed again.

"Option one or option two?" Emily asked, her voice stern and her arms crossed although her eyes softened at the fact he'd used the epithet.

A smile touched his lips, "In other words I have absolutely no choice but to do as you say?"

Emily nodded, "Precisely."

Carson closed the laptop and stood, "I'll go to my room."

"And I'm walking you there," Emily told him, "Because otherwise you'll walk round the block until I'm gone and come back to work."

"Why'd you think..." Carson trailed off his question, laughing softly, "Because I told you that one."

"Come on," Emily motioned, "You look like hell."

Without another word he started walking very aware that Emily was walking at his side, he was deliberately keeping distance between them. When they reached his room Carson turned to her.

"I'm here," he said softly, "I'll get some sleep."

"Carson, please..." Emily stopped, closing her eyes, "I didn't want to leave you."

"Em, I don't want to have this conversation," Carson sighed, "What happened between us was a long time ago."

"But," she stepped closer to him, "You're still calling me Em."

Hesitantly Carson touched her cheek, "You are only here for a few months, Emily. I don't want to lose you again."

Emily leaned into his hand, "How can you promise me something isn't going to happen to you? You go off world and look what just happened to Rodney, can you promise me nothing will ever happen to you?"

Carson couldn't resist anymore and pulled her into his arms, kissing her with the longing he'd been feeling from the moment he'd seen her again.

"Carson," Emily whispered as she rested her forehead against his, she reached out and opened the door to his room leading him inside.

*********************************************

They would arrive at Atlantis tomorrow.

He sat in his room studying the layout of the city; he would need to know where he was going when he went after Rodney.

Lyle opened the file that had been hidden in his bags scanning the file on the Pretender. From what he could tell the hardest part of this would be having to wait until the right time to persuade Rodney to return to Earth but Lyle knew the threat against his sister would be enough.

One thing both Pretenders had in common was their insipid affection for other people. Lyle pulled out the picture and set it against the wall, the only obstacle in his way would be Parker. If Rodney refused to come back with them then Lyle had an extra order not given to his sister.

A slow sadistic smile spread across his face as Lyle used his hand as if it were a gun, aiming at the picture he pretended to fire.

"Bang," he murmured.
Chapter 5 by LE McMurray
“Danger,” Rodney gasped, waking up suddenly wincing at the pain that shot through his body.

“It’s okay,” John appeared above him, “Take a few breaths.”

“John?” Rodney looked at him confused, “I…”

“You jumped in to save a little girl,” John explained, “We got her but you were dragged under. Gave us a hell of a scare.”

Rodney turned to where there was extra weight on his arm, finding his sister sleeping on top of him, “What is she doing here?”

John laughed softly, “She’s been here all night worrying about you.”

“She hates me,” Rodney murmured confused.

“Do you think she’d be here if she did?” John laughed making sure he didn’t wake Jeannie.

Rodney smiled leaning back, “When can I get out of here?”

“Not until the doctor says,” Jeannie’s voice interrupted, making both men turn to her. She was rubbing her neck which was sore from the way she’d been sleeping.

“Good morning,” John greeted her with a smile, “Nice hairdo.”

Jeannie pushed her hand through her hair before turning to her brother, “How do you feel?”

“Like I went ten rounds with a Wraith,” Rodney replied wryly.

Jeannie laughed softly, “Well you look like it too.”

“Thank you,” Rodney whispered, catching her hand in his, “For being here.”

Jeannie grinned, “You’re my big brother. I owe you for the stories.”

“You remember that?” Rodney asked shocked.

“Of course I do,” Jeannie moved to hug him, “Sorry,” she whispered when he gave a soft cry of pain.

“No problem,” Rodney replied, hugging her as tightly as he could.



Carson groaned softly as he woke up, smiling to himself as he felt the body resting against his. Cracking open one eye he saw Emily asleep with one arm wrapped around his waist her fingers gripping his shirt.

She had brought him into his room made him take off his jacket and shoes before making him lie down. Emily had kissed him several more times before resting against him and snuggling against his chest as they both fell asleep.

Carson gently pushed her hair back from her face smiling as she moaned softly.

“Em,” he whispered, “You have to let me up.”

“Why,” she sighed burying closer to him.

“I have to check on Rodney remember?” Carson laughed.

Emily opened her eyes and looked up at him with a pout, “If you must.”

Her grip on him relaxed and Carson slid away from her, feeling disappointment at losing her warmth. Emily grabbed his pillow and curled against it instead.

Carson grinned heading to get a quick shower, he felt relaxed and happy for the first time in a long time. The last time he’d woken up feeling this way was the last day they’d been together on Earth after the one and only night they’d spent together. As Carson pulled on his sweater he looked over to where Emily was still sleeping, she was now sprawled across the bed gently sighing in her slumber. He leaned over and gently kissed her forehead.

“Carson,” she mumbled.

“Go back to sleep, love,” he whispered, “I’ll see you later.”



When Carson arrived at the infirmary he found Jarod had joined John and Jeannie at Rodney’s bedside.

“Well you look as though your hard head is still intact once again,” Carson said as he walked towards them.

All four looked at him a little surprised.

“You’re talking to us?” Rodney asked innocently.

Carson frowned at him, “You can go to your room and rest. And I mean rest, Rodney.”

“He will,” Jeannie promised with a smile.

Rodney moved slowly getting up his sister moving to his side, Jarod moved to the other and together helped Rodney away from the infirmary.

“Why are you grinning?” John asked Carson suspiciously when the others were out of earshot.

“What?” Carson asked turning to him.

“You look like you woke up after your coffee fix,” John told him, “So, what is going on with you?”

“A good night’s sleep, Colonel,” Carson told him with a smile, “Now I have patients to see.”

With that he left John standing.



John caught up with the other three quickly and walked with them towards Rodney’s room, he noted that his friend’s steps were jerky and a little unsteady though he never went down as Jeannie and Jarod both had a good hold on him. Any time they passed someone Rodney went into a spiel about not needing babysitters before becoming silent the moment there was no one there.

They reached the room and John quickly opened the door allowing the patient in before following on.

“Thanks,” Rodney sighed as he rested back on his bed.

“No problem,” his sister smiled, “Do you need anything?”

“No,” he told her, “I’m okay.”

A chime from the door interrupted any conversation. John turned to check with Rodney that it was all right; when he nodded John opened the door.

“Good morning,” Elizabeth greeted when the door swung open, “Why am I not surprised to find you here?”

John grinned letting her in, “I’m a caring soul.”

Elizabeth rolled her eyes at him as she walked into the room, “How do you feel, Rodney?”

“Fine,” Rodney snapped, “I would like to get rid of my nurses so I can get back to work.”

“Dr Beckett has ordered that you are not to move from this room until he’s cleared you for work,” Elizabeth reminded him.

“Can I get a second opinion,” Rodney sneered, “I’m sure there’s a vet on Atlantis somewhere.”

Elizabeth grimaced at him, “I don’t want to hear about you disobeying, Carson.”

“Don’t worry about it,” Jeannie spoke up from her seat holding up a pack of cards, “I’ll be here all day.”

“Good,” Elizabeth smiled at the other woman; “Have fun.”

Rodney let out a ‘pfft’ sound as Elizabeth left the room before he sighed leaning back against his pillows tiredly.

John turned back to his friend as a sudden realisation of how tiring it was for Rodney to pretend all the time. The first year on Atlantis Rodney seemed to become softer, less McKay than he’d seemed when they’d first met, John put it down to the fact that Rodney was becoming comfortable with them but since he and Zelenka had become a haven for him where he could be himself Dr McKay had returned as sarcastic and sharp as before.

John watched as Jeannie dealt the cards, Rodney needed them. He needed people he could relax with and a time where he didn’t have to keep up the façade.

*********************************************

Parker felt her breath catch as she stepped off the Daedalus into Atlantis; she’d forgotten how amazing it actually was. Thankfully she and Lyle had been split in their groups for disembarking meaning she hopefully would be able to find Rodney before Lyle did.

“Captain Parker?” a surprised voice greeted her.

“Dr Weir,” Parker greeted the leader of Atlantis, “It’s good to see you.”

“I didn’t realise you were returning to Atlantis,” Elizabeth said.

Parker thought fast, “It was at the last minute.”

“Well I know a few people who’ll be pleased to see you,” Elizabeth laughed.

“Speaking of,” Parker was amazed she was going to find him this fast, “I was hoping to say hi to Rodney before I had to report in.”

“He was in an accident yesterday,” Elizabeth told Parker who felt an icy hand grip her heart, “He’s in his room now, according to Dr Beckett just some bumps and bruises. His hard head as usual keeps his big brain in tact.”

Parker’s smile was genuine; “I’ll go see him now.”

“I’m sure it’ll cheer him up that you’re here,” Elizabeth smiled frowning as she was called in the radio, “It never stops.”

Parker nodded as Elizabeth left taking a deep breath she headed towards Rodney’s room hoping to hell that Lyle didn’t get let loose on the city for a while.



Emily was walking through the corridors heading to join the ‘gang’ as Zelenka liked to refer to them. She’d woken up several hours after Carson had left to start his shift unable to stop smiling as she headed back to her room to get a shower and changed. Now she wanted to make sure Rodney was alright, she cared about him like he was another brother. Turning the corner she saw some of the new recruits from the recently arrived Daedalus wondering about them for a few moments before one turned making her gasp in horror.

Standing talking to Dr Weir was Miss Parker and Emily felt fear fill her. They’d been found.

Emily started to run, the moment she found Rodney’s room she banged on the door trying to catch her breath when the door opened.

“I saw her,” Emily gasped when Jarod caught her.

“Who?” Jarod asked, confused by the panic he saw her eyes.

“Danger,” Rodney whispered from his bed.

“What danger?” Jarod looked between them.

“Miss Parker,” Emily told them, “She’s here on Atlantis.”

Colour drained from Jeannie’s face and the cards she’d been holding fell to her feet, “They’ve found us?”

“Parker can’t be the danger you’re feeling,” Jarod said to Rodney, “It has to be something else.”

“What do you mean?” Emily asked confused at her brother’s statement, “Miss Parker is part of the Centre.”

“Parker isn’t a threat,” John told them, “When she was here the last time the three of them were inseparable.”

Emily turned to her brother horror and anger filling her eyes, “She’s a Parker, she’s one of them. She’s one of the ones who have been chasing you all across the country trying to put you back in that prison.”

“You don’t understand, Emily,” Jarod tried to explain.

“She’s part of the organisation that ripped our family apart,” Emily yelled, betrayal echoing in her voice before she turned and walked away.

Emily walked through the corridors even with tears blinding her she managed to make her way to the infirmary. Emily searched the rooms finally finding Carson in his office.

“Em?” he asked confused as she moved to him.

Emily didn’t say a word just burying herself against him as he wrapped his arms around her.



Jarod felt Zelenka catch his arm when he moved to go after his sister.

“Do not,” the scientist told him, “She is not in mood to talk to you just now.”

Jarod sighed, “She doesn’t understand the bond the three of us developed,” he took his seat beside Rodney again.

“What do you mean?” Jeannie demanded, “What the hell is going on here?”

Rodney and Jarod shared a look before Rodney turned to his friends hopefully. John held up his hands refusing to even take the responsibility for telling Jeannie this, Zelenka laughed at them.

“Hey,” Jeannie snapped aggravated, “I want an answer or I’m going to ask Emily.”

“Miss Parker works for the Centre,” Jarod started, “She’s part of the team who’s been tracking me since our escape.”

“That bit I know. Why is she not a danger?” Jeannie demanded.

“We’ve known Parker since we were kids,” Rodney took over, “She was here last year at the same time as Jarod, she’d been ordered to get me back to Earth and the Centre. She didn’t. Instead she made sure the other guy who’d come after me didn’t get me.”

“You’re telling me the woman who has been coming after you is here and you’re not worried because she was a childhood friend?” Jeannie demanded, “I don’t get this. You should be worried that they’ve sent someone here again.”

John nodded, “She’s got a point.”

“You have to trust us on this, Jeannie,” Jarod told her, “Parker won’t hurt us, I know this."

“I hope you’re right,” Jeannie replied coldly, “Because it’s all our lives you’re playing with now.”

*********************************************

Parker walked to Rodney’s room smiling as she came closer stopping for a few seconds outside before she touched the chime requesting entry.

“Hello again,” John greeted Parker.

“You’re not surprised to see me?” she asked worried.

“Nope,” John pulled her in, “We got a warning.”

“Jarod?” Parker cried in shock, finding him standing next to where Rodney was resting, “What are you doing here?”

“I was about to ask you that question,” he replied.

Parker frowned at him and headed to Rodney’s side hugging him quickly ,checking out the bruises before turning to see the woman sitting watching her.

“You would be Jeannie,” Parker stated as she took one of the free seats.

“That means you’re the danger,” Jeannie retorted crossing her arms.

“I was sent by the Centre to bring Rodney back with me,” Parker explained, “But I’m not the danger,” she turned to Jarod, “They’ve sent Lyle with me as well.”

Jarod’s eyes widened, “What?”

“As in guy who held a gun to my head?” Jeannie asked, shakily moving from her seat to pace, her face pale.

“That’s the psychopath,” Parker replied, “I can’t help you this time. If I try…”

“Hold on,” John snapped; he rested his hand on Jeannie’s shoulder making sure she was alright before continuing, “Who is Lyle?”

“Parker,” Jarod handed the question to her.

“Lyle is, unfortunately, my brother,” she told him, “He’s also a nutcase who will stop at nothing to get power for himself. He will kill anyone that gets in his way.”

“What do we do?” Jeannie asked wrapping her arms around herself.

“Pray,” Zelenka murmured from his corner.



“Em,” Carson said softly at the woman curled up on his bed, “Will you tell me what’s wrong?”

“It’s hard to explain,” she sighed moving so she was resting against him.

Carson wrapped his arm around her, “You could try. And even if I don’t understand at least you’ve talked about it.”

Emily looked up at him and gave a smile, “I’m so glad you’re here.”

Carson gave her a gentle kiss; “Tell me.”

“One of our pursuers is here on Atlantis,” Emily whispered, feeling Carson tighten his grip, “But everyone says it’s not a problem.”

“That sounds like a problem to me,” Carson frowned.

“Apparently Miss Parker is a good friend,” Emily snapped.

“Parker?” Carson asked confused, “As in Captain Parker? She was here with Jarod the first time, Rodney and those two were absolutely inseparable for the three months they were here.”

Feeling Emily stiffen in his arms Carson understood, “And that’s why you feel betrayed.”

Emily sighed relieved he understood, “My family has never had the chance to be normal and he’s making nice with the woman who’s not only part of it but whose sole job is to imprison him…both of them again.”

“Em,” Carson soothed gently, kissing the top of he head, “You need to talk to him, Jarod’s your brother.”

“Why did you come here?” Emily asked suddenly.

“Em, you’re changing the subject,” Carson scolded softly.

Emily moved so she was kneeling facing him, “I just want to know.”

“You’re still changing the subject,” Carson replied before rolling his eyes, “Alright, I came because I was running.”

Emily leaned forward confused, “Running? From what?”

“I was running from you, Em,” Carson replied sadly, “I was running away from the memory of you.”

She sat back on her heels, “Oh.”

“Don’t misunderstand,” he continued, “I love my work and the chances I have for research here are incredible. I have made a lot of good friends but I wouldn’t have even taken the job in Antarctica if you hadn’t disappeared.”

Emily moved to him initiating a deep kiss wrapping her arms around his neck and pulling him down onto her.

“I have to get back soon,” he murmured.

“You’re in charge,” Emily replied softly holding onto him, “They can’t fire you.”

Carson laughed giving into her only to be interrupted less than five minutes later.

Dr Beckett, you’re needed in the infirmary,” a voice called over his radio.

Carson sighed, “I’ll be there in a few minutes.”

Emily gave a slight laugh of annoyance, “I should have expected this. You’re a Doctor.”

Carson stood up and pulled her to her feet, “Go talk to Jarod.”

“Okay,” she agreed.

“And I’ll meet you for dinner once my shift is over,” Carson smiled, “Deal?”

“Deal,” Emily kissed him once more before leaving him alone.



Emily walked through the corridors back to Rodney’s room assuming they would still be gathered there. The six of them had become a family of sorts Emily had found and considering their situation it was something they needed.

As Emily walked her mind drifted to Carson and a smile rose on her lips. They’d known each other a total of two weeks when she’d been forced to leave him and…he had really meant what he’d said the night they’d spent together.

Caught in her thoughts she didn’t notice the man until she’d walked into him.

“I’m sorry,” she said looking up freezing as she saw Mr Lyle in front of her.

Emily tried to run but he grabbed her arm a slow sadistic smile covering his face.

“Hello Emily,” he said softly, “Now this is a surprise.”
Chapter 6 by LE McMurray
Carson eased his way through the door of the conference hall, his bag almost getting stuck in the small space he’d used. Quietly he walked along the back of the auditorium looking for a seat. He saw what must have been the only empty one and quickly slipped into it.

As the man at the podium started speaking about the information packs Carson realised he’d forgotten to bring his with him.

“Here,” a gentle voice next to him made him turn, “We can share.”

Carson smiled at the woman, “Thanks, I’m having one of those days.”

“I can tell,” she replied just before the man in front of them shushed them.

They shared a grin quickly before Carson focussed on the conference, the actual reason he’d come back to Chicago two weeks earlier than planned.

Finally it was lunch. When it was announced and the lights came up Carson turned to thank the woman beside him finding his mouth go dry when he saw her properly, she was beautiful.

“I’m Emily,” she introduced herself with a smile.

“Carson,” he took her hand shaking it.

“I’m guessing you’re a Doctor,” Emily said as they started to walk to where they were getting lunch.

“I thought everyone here was one,” Carson laughed.

She shrugged, “I work for the Times. This is my first real assignment for our science section. What about you? Are you just in town for this? I’m just guessing from your accent.”

“No, I do actually live and work here,” Carson told her, “I was at home visiting my mother, my flight was delayed so I ended up running a wee bit late today.”

When they reached the buffet lunch they fetched their food whilst continuing to talk, Carson was entranced by her and didn’t want the break to end.

As they were called back for the afternoon session Carson caught Emily’s arm, “Do you want to have dinner tonight?”

Emily looked at him surprised and a cloud covered her eyes for a second before she smiled, “I’d love to.”

Carson smiled back, “Good.”




Carson headed through the corridors towards the infirmary annoyed at the interruption. He stopped hearing a cry coming from nearby; it was Emily.

“Em?” he called worriedly heading towards the sound.

“Carson,” Emily cried, “Get out of here.”

Carson saw a man gripping Emily’s arm as she struggled against him, when the man saw Carson he produced a gun and pressed it to Emily’s temple.

“Carson?” the man said thoughtfully, “Yes, Dr Carson Beckett. Don’t leave Dr.”

Carson shivered at the voice, “Who are you?”

“You can call me Mr Lyle,” Lyle introduced himself, “Now considering this new development I’m changing my plans. Forgive me if this takes a little time but I’m thinking on my feet just now.”

“Let her go,” Carson stated trying to sound a lot braver than he felt.

Lyle laughed pressing the gun tighter against Emily who winced; her eyes were wide with fear.

“From what I read you have the ancient gene meaning you can fly us somewhere else,” Lyle mused, “Disconnect your radio and lead me to the place with your ships.”

“Let her go and I’ll do whatever you want,” Carson tried, only to have Lyle laugh at him.

“Oh no, Emily here needs to see her brother die. Now move Dr,” Lyle told him.

**********************************************

“Are you okay?” John asked when he caught up with Jeannie just outside the commissary.

She turned to him, “I just needed a few moments. We were meant to be safe here John and now…I’d better get Rodney something to eat.”

John touched her shoulder, “You know you can talk to me if you want. Everyone needs someone to talk to.”

Jeannie smiled at him, “Thank you. I must admit it was a relief to find that there were other people on this place that knew what was going on. Having to pretend around absolutely everyone would have been too hard.”

John grinned and nudged her shoulder, “You’d better go get food before it’s all gone. His love of food is not a Pretend.”

Jeannie laughed, “Join us for lunch, John.”

He shook his head, “I have actual work to do. I’ll come back and rejoin you for dinner.”

Jeannie gave him a warm smile, “Good.”



“What do we do?” Rodney asked Jarod and Parker who were sitting on either side of his bed.

“I don’t know,” Parker admitted, “Lyle has been ordered to bring you home, Rodney and I have a feeling if you don’t agree to come he’ll kill you. However with Jarod and your sisters here…”

“We’re going to have to get us all together,” Jarod told them, “We have to find a way to stop this, to stop him.”

Parker raked her hand through her hair, “It’s worse than that. If I even appear to be helping you and he gets back to Earth then I’m dead.”

“We can’t just kill him,” Rodney reminded her.

Parker rolled her eyes, “I wasn't suggesting that. I know neither of you have the stomach for it,” Jarod frowned at her sarcasm, “I was thinking dump him on a planet the Wraith would be on.”

“Parker,” Rodney sighed, “There’s no way we could do it.”

Parker stood up stretching her legs, “The only other idea I have is to tell everyone and that won’t turn out good for either of you but especially you, Rodney.”

Jarod nodded, “Nor you.”

She shrugged pacing the small room.

“We need to stay together,” Jarod decided, “Wandering around the corridors we could easily run into him accidentally but if we’re all together then we have less chance of that.”

“He’s going to find out you’re here,” Parker reminded him.

“But this gives us some time,” Jarod replied.

“Time won’t help,” Parker snapped.

Jarod rolled his eyes, “It means I can plan something.”

“Could you two knock it off,” Rodney sighed, “I’m sore, I’m tired and I really don’t need you two yelling at each other.”

“Sorry, Rodney,” Jarod apologised quickly.

“You do look like hell,” Parker added.

Rodney gave a soft smile knowing this was the most apology he was getting from her.

“Let’s get everyone back here then decide what to do,” he said.

*********************************************

Carson wasn't sure how he was managing not to panic and start running but he kept his pace steady as they walked to the Jumper Bay. At his side walked Emily who had a gun pressed against her back by Lyle who was at her other side.

“Hey, Doc,” the marine at the Jumper Bay grinned at him.

“Lieutenant Tarrant,” Carson greeted him cordially, “I just received a message from the Athosians about a few injuries. I’m going to help.”

“No problem,” Tarrant grinned back at him, “You actually flying yourself?”

Carson hoped his shrug was nonchalant, “Colonel Sheppard keeps insisting I have more practice. I need to go; from what we were told this is urgent.”

As the three of them moved to the nearest Jumper Tarrant called him again.

“Lieutenant?” Carson asked.

“Where are your supplies?” the young man asked.

Carson opened his mouth to say something but before he could Lyle fired.

“No,” Carson cried but it was too late Tarrant was on the ground.

“Get in this thing,” Lyle told him.

“I have to help him,” Carson snapped, finding the gun aimed at his head.

“Do it now or Emily will find it hard to walk,” Lyle threatened, moving the gun to Emily’s leg.

“Okay,” Carson swallowed and slipped into the pilot’s seat, “You might want to sit down.”

“And why would that be?” Lyle asked annoyed.

“Because I’m a bloody awful pilot,” Carson replied.

Lyle shoved Emily onto a seat and sat across from her keeping the gun aimed at her as Carson opened the top of the bay and took the Jumper into the air.



“People keep looking at me as though I’m about to do something,” Jeannie mused as she walked with John her bodyguard back to her brother’s room carrying some food for lunch.

“You’ve got to remember that Rodney is not the most popular of people around here,” John replied with a grin, “He’s obnoxious, arrogant and an enormous pain in everyone’s ass so the fact that you’re actually nice confuses them.”

“But that’s just an act,” Jeannie shook her head.

“They don’t know that,” John reminded her, “He keeps up the act well.”

Jeannie shrugged, “I guess. Do you want to know what worries me more than anything?”

“What?” John asked conspiratorially.

“I’ve a feeling they think I’m exactly the same,” she said in a mock whisper.

John started to laugh, “Well since I’ve never seen you in the same situations as I see Rodney how can I be the judge.”

“If this is going to end with me in some sort of swimsuit you’ll regret it,” Jeannie teased.

John stopped looking her up and down, “A McKay in a swimsuit, thanks for those nightmares.”

“Hey,” Jeannie cried swatting him, “Oh you are so dead for that remark.”

John grinned, he knew he needed to lighten her mood and it looked like he’d managed it, “We’ll see if you manage,” he told her, “Come on, he’ll be complaining we’re trying to starve him if we don’t get food there.”



“Isn’t this dangerous?” Parker asked as Jarod stood leaning against the wall in her room.

“Probably,” he replied, “But I wanted to talk to you privately.”

She turned to him, “About?”

“What happens when you have to choose?” Jarod asked her, “When you’re faced between the choice of us or the Centre. Who are you going to choose?”

“You can’t ask me that?” Parker told him annoyed.

“Why not?” he snapped, “My life, Rodney’s life, Emily and Jeannie’s lives are on the line and you don’t know whose side you’re on?”

“I was sent here to do a job,” Parker snapped back.

“Then do it,” Jarod challenged.

“What?”

“Your job is to take Rodney back to Earth,” Jarod reminded her, “Then try it. But I will stop you as will Sheppard.”

“Jarod,” Parker’s voice was cold, “Don’t force this.”

“I have to,” he replied, “I need to know I won’t be facing your gun as well as Lyle’s.”

Parker glared at him, “Listen to me wonder-boy I can’t promise anything,” she sighed annoyed, “You know I’m stuck, Jarod.”

“Then I’m going to make sure you’re not forced to make that decision,” Jarod replied.

Parker moved to him raising her hands pressing them together at the wrist, “Are you going to tie me up?”

Jarod frowned at her, “I hate when you do that.”

She patted him on the cheek, “Let’s get back to Rodney’s room and see if we can work this out.”

*********************************************

Elizabeth sat in the briefing room wondering where Carson was. They’d been meant to meet for their weekly debriefing almost half an hour ago but there had been no word from him.

She knew he was slightly distracted at the moment by Emily, everyone had noticed it. And normally she would be happy about it but not when it started to interfere with his job.

“Dr Beckett,” she called over the radio, “Report.”

Silence greeted her making her frown so she went to her next option.

“Colonel Sheppard,” Elizabeth tried.

“Sheppard here,” his voice sounded in her ear.

“John have you seen Carson lately?” Elizabeth asked.

A pause followed before, “Not since this morning. Is something wrong?”

“He’s half an hour late for our weekly meeting,” Elizabeth explained, “And I haven’t been able to raise him on the radio.”

“I’m heading back to Rodney, I’ll see if he’s there,” John told her.

“Keep me informed,” Elizabeth ordered before breaking communications.

With an annoyed sigh she sat back in her chair, this was not like Carson at all.



“Is Carson here?” John asked walking into the room behind Jeannie.

Rodney shook his head smiling at his sister as she gave him his dinner, “I haven’t seen him. Why?”

“Elizabeth was looking for him,” John explained, “Something about a weekly meeting.”

“Their weekly debriefing,” Rodney nodded, “I’ve never known Carson to be late for that.”

“He was looking very cheery this morning,” John noted, “I’ve got a feeling he and Emily sorted out whatever was bothering them. Maybe he just lost track of time.”

Jeannie shrugged, “That’s possible.”

“I’ve got a bad feeling about this,” Rodney told them, “You have to find him.”

“I’ll go to his room and see if he’s there,” John promised, “Jeannie, stay here and if you don’t know who’s at the door don’t let them in.”

“Yes mother,” she rolled her eyes.

“I’m serious,” John snapped, “If this Lyle guy comes after Rodney like he’s here to and sees you…”

“I get the point,” she replied, “Go check on Carson.”



John jogged through the corridors trying not to overreact but considering Rodney was worried it wasn’t easy. He’d learned in the time since the secret had come out to trust Rodney’s feelings. They were always accurate which was why John speed doubled.

Reaching Carson’s room he opened the door not surprised but annoyed to find the room completely empty.

“Damn,” he muttered. He touched his radio, “I want to know if anyone has seen Dr Beckett in the last two hours.”

John stood there for several minutes before a voice came.

“I saw him heading to the infirmary about three hours ago,” someone told him.

“Thank you,” John murmured leaving the room and starting towards the infirmary.

He stopped at each corridor looking down to see if there was anything, finally on one he saw a glint. Walking towards it John felt his stomach clench as he saw a radio lying on the ground. Picking it up John knew that it belonged to Carson.

Before he could reach for his radio the alarms sounded through the base.

“Medical emergency in Jumper Bay,” someone called, “Medical Emergency in Jumper Bay.”

“Shit,” John snapped, starting to run praying that it wasn’t Carson who was hurt.



Emily couldn’t stop shaking as Lyle ordered Carson to head further away from the settlement. She was terrified that once they reached wherever Lyle was taking them then there would be no more need for Carson and Lyle would dispose of him.

She was shaking uncontrollably but she didn’t want to make a sound in case she distracted Carson. He didn’t like flying normally Emily knew this, doing this had to be terrifying him.

“Over there,” Lyle noted, “That’s the perfect spot.”

“Then what?” Emily demanded her voice shaking.

Lyle smiled, “We wait for your brother to play the hero.”

“You know if you hurt him the others in Atlantis won’t let you get away,” Emily stated, “He’s their Chief Medical Officer.”

“How touching,” Lyle sneered, “Don’t worry, Emily. As long as you both do as you’re told you’ll both be fine.”

Carson took a deep breath, “You’d better sit down I’m going to try land now.”

“No accidents,” Lyle told him, “Or she has one.”

Carson nodded glancing back at Emily who gave him an encouraging nod.

“Here goes,” Carson mumbled starting the Jumper’s descent.



“I want to know what happened here,” Elizabeth snapped as she looked around the Jumper bay, “And I want Carson found.”

“Working on it,” John told her.

“I also want to know if anyone else is missing,” Elizabeth continued.

“Yes Ma’am,” John nodded.

“I don’t care what you have to do, John,” Elizabeth said, “Get me answers; you have every resource you need.”

“I’ll find him,” John promised her.

The only good thing about this was he knew exactly how to do that.
Chapter 7 by LE McMurray
Carson tested the ropes binding his wrists wincing as the rope cut into his flesh.

“Stop that,” Lyle told him, “I may need you to fly this thing again.”

Carson glared at him before he settled his hands down again.

“You should get some sleep,” Lyle laughed slightly, “Tomorrow brings Pretenders and the end of an annoyance.”

“They will stop you,” Emily whispered from her seat.

Lyle rolled his eyes before he slapped her sharply across her cheek. Emily gave a cry as Carson tried to move to protect her. Lyle laughed at them and tossed the blanket around both of them, “Goodnight.”

Carson sighed in relief when Lyle closed the door; Emily rested her head against his shoulder. Lyle had tied them up so that their feet were bound together while Emily’s arm had been looped through his before their wrists had been tied.

“I’m sorry, Carson,” Emily whispered, “I didn’t want you involved in this; I didn’t want you to be in danger.”

“Don’t worry about it, Em,” Carson softly kissed her temple, “They’ll get us out of here.”

“You don’t understand,” Emily told him.

“Yes I do,” Carson replied, “I know Rodney and John well. I know that they will find us.”

Emily pulled the blanket around them as best she could not saying anything else; instead she rested against him closing her eyes to get some rest. Carson watched her hoping his trust in his friends was well placed.



“I don’t know if I can do it,” Rodney told John as he hobbled after his friend who was stalking towards the Jumper.

“You have to,” John replied sharply.

“You don’t understand,” Rodney cried.

John stopped so suddenly Rodney almost ran into him, “You don’t understand, Carson and Emily’s only real chance is you. Rodney, your gift will let us find them.”

“What if what happened last time happens again?” Rodney whispered fearfully.

John stared at him, “You’ve used it since then.”

“No,” Rodney licked his lips, “Sensing who’s nearby is completely different from actively searching for them. John, I don’t want to end up in that dark place again.”

“That’s why Jeannie’s coming as well,” John told him.

“What?”

“She’s family,” John explained starting to walk again, “She should be able to keep you grounded.”

“We’ve known each other just over a month,” Rodney called after him.

John waved his hand motioning Rodney to keep up.

“This is a bad idea,” Rodney murmured.



“Colonel,” Elizabeth frowned as he came marching into the Jumper Bay, “Do you at any time want to let me into your plan?”

“Teyla and Ronon search by land assisted by Lieutenant Jordan who’s flying them there,” John said as he entered the Jumper followed by Elizabeth, “I take Rodney, Parker and Starr by air.”

“With Jeannie?” Elizabeth demanded.

“She’s here to make sure Rodney is alright after his accident,” John replied as he fixed the Jumper for flight.

“I understand you two having been spending a lot of time together,” Elizabeth started making John stare at her.

“Are you seriously asking me if I have a thing,” he lowered his voice, “for McKay’s sister?” John demanded, glancing over to make sure Rodney wasn't nearby. He was thankfully talking to Jarod and Parker.

Elizabeth smiled at his discomfort, “It is allowed.”

“It’s not what you’re thinking,” John told her his brow furrowed, “Jeannie and Rodney have a few issues from their past, I’ve been letting her talk to me and let off steam.”

“Of course, Colonel,” Elizabeth nodded, “However I still don’t agree with her presence on this mission.”

“As military leader of Atlantis it is my decision how things like this are run,” John reminded her, looking back he saw Parker and Jarod entering the Jumper, “You guys ready?”

“Coming, Colonel,” Parker said following Jarod on board.

“Be careful, John,” Elizabeth told him sternly, “And bring them back.”

“Yes, Ma’am,” John nodded, “Tell Rodney to move his ass or I’m leaving without him.”

Elizabeth shook her head in annoyance before she headed out of the Jumper.



“You are sure about this?” Zelenka asked as he escorted Jeannie through the corridors.

Jeannie shrugged, “I have no idea. Radek, this thing Rodney’s going to do to find Carson and Emily is it dangerous?”

“I am unsure,” Zelenka admitted, “I have never seen this ability but from what I have been told it affects him negatively.”

“Negatively?” Jeannie cried.

“It is the only way I can describe it,” he told her, “John believes that you being there will keep him grounded. That is why you are going on this mission.”

“And here I thought John couldn’t live without me,” Jeannie laughed.

Zelenka laughed as well, “So the rumours go.”

Jeannie stopped dead, “Excuse me?”

“Many have noticed the amount of time you have spent around him since you came to Atlantis,” Zelenka explained.

“Did they happen to notice my brother was also there?” Jeannie snapped.

“What good would that be for the rumour mill?” Zelenka patted her shoulder continuing along the corridor.

Jeannie frowned and jogged to catch up with him. As they entered the Bay Zelenka broke off to speak with Rodney while Jeannie headed to the Jumper.

“Grab a seat,” John told her before turning back, “Rodney, will you get in here now?”

“I’m coming,” Rodney snapped, “Walking wounded remember.”

“Right,” John snorted, “Okay people let’s go. It’s getting dark and I want to find them before he has the light to get deeper into the forest.”

*********************************************

Carson pulled Emily closer in the strange hug they were in as she slept. She’d given in to exhaustion about an hour ago but even in her sleep she was still shaking.

“I understand why you left,” he whispered to her resting his cheek against her hair, “I know that it wasn’t what you wanted and I’m sorry I didn’t try to understand when I saw you again.” He stopped softly kissing the top of her head, “But you’ve got to remember how hard I’d fallen for you, Em how hurt I was when you disappeared on me.”

Carson stopped as she shifted against him, once she settled again he continued.

“I love you,” Carson murmured to her.

“That’s the second time you’ve told me that while you thought I was asleep,” Emily told him looking up at him.

“Em,” Carson gulped.

“I didn’t say anything the first time because I didn’t want to pull you any further into my world,” she explained.

“And now?” Carson asked nervously.

Emily settled against him again, “I love you too.”



“Okay, Rodney,” John said, making Rodney look over to him, “It’s your show.”

“I don’t know if I can do this, John,” Rodney whispered, fear filling his eyes.

Jeannie touched his shoulder, “You can do this.”

Her brother glanced up at her, “If I do this I could end up trapped in there again.”

“No,” Jeannie gripped his hand squeezing his shoulder with her other hand, “You won’t because I won’t let you.”

John smiled at her before turning to Rodney, “We need this.”

Rodney nodded and closed his eyes taking several deep breaths; John looked back to where Parker and Jarod sat.

“Focus on Carson,” Parker spoke up, her voice smooth and gentle, “Think of your friend, focus on his presence and find that nearby.”

Rodney opened his eyes; he yanked his hand out of Jeannie’s and took control of the jumper.

“I’m getting a reading on what looks like a Jumper,” John murmured, “Rodney give me back control and I’ll set us down somewhere safe.”

“I can fly this thing you know,” Rodney reminded him.

“Sorry,” John muttered sarcastically as the other three exchanged amused glances.



“Which way?” John asked as Rodney hobbled out after him.

“Eh…they’re that way,” Rodney murmured pointing, his brow furrowed against a headache.

“Rodney?” John cried, recognising the signs that he was being overwhelmed.

“What’s wrong?” Jeannie demanded at the fear in the three faces around her, “What is going on?”

“When we were kids actively searching for a mind meant he was connected to someone when they died. He retreated into himself for months,” Jarod explained missing out the details, “The second time he did this was when Parker and I came here last and he was catatonic for hours.”

Jeannie stared at them in shock before moving to her brother.

“Don’t touch him,” Parker and Jarod yelled together as Rodney was trying to focus on what was going on but losing.

“Why?” Jeannie demanded.

“It could harm him,” Jarod explained.

“What do you mean harm him?” Jeannie cried, “This isn’t exactly healthy for him.”

“Trust us,” Parker told her, “We’ve seen this happen to him before.”

“And you’re the experts,” Jeannie rolled her eyes, “So your advice is just sit and watch this happen to him?”

Jeannie spun and slapped Rodney hard across his face.

“What?” he looked up at them a little stunned, “It’s…gone and ow,” his hand came up to cradle his cheek.

“Sorry, Rodney,” she told him before turning to the others, “Tough love people,” Jeannie told them, “Let’s go.”

John stared after her stunned, “Why didn’t I think of that?”

*********************************************

Carson watched Lyle as he set up booby traps in the bushes around the Jumper surprised when Rodney appeared from nowhere.

“Hi,” he greeted them, “Sleep well?”

“Rodney, get us out of here,” Carson demanded not in the mood for small talk.

Rodney produced a knife and quickly cut through their bonds, “The others are waiting just past the trees. Go.”

“What about you?” Emily asked.

“Trust us,” Rodney replied, “Go.”

Carson grabbed Emily’s hand and they ran to where he could see John waving him forward. The moment they reached safety Jarod had his sister in a tight embrace and Carson turned back to watch Rodney…who was sitting in the pilot seat just waiting.

“What’s he doing?” Carson demanded.

“Something incredibly stupid,” Jeannie replied from where she stood chewing on her thumbnail, “Are you two okay?”

He nodded his attention riveted on his friend as Lyle returned to the ship.



“You’re a little far from home,” Rodney stated as Lyle entered the Jumper.

Lyle looked at him surprised, “Rodney? This is surprising.”

“This little stunt was stupid,” Rodney told him standing up so they were face to face, “Coming to Atlantis to begin with, abducting Carson and thinking you’re going to win this.”

Lyle laughed and swung smacking Rodney’s head against the Jumper hull.

“Guess what,” Lyle told him as Rodney lay dazed, “I will.”

“You mean we will,” Parker stated as she stalked in looking down on Rodney, “You know of the three of us he’s the only one who can fly this thing.”

“Parker?” Lyle looked at him confused.

“You didn’t think I was going to let you ruin this, did you?” Parker laughed pushing at Rodney’s shoulder with her foot, “I sent Jarod and that idiot Sheppard the other way so if we’re going to go we should go now.”

Lyle frowned at her, “Now why don’t I trust you sister dear?”

Parker rolled her eyes, “Check for yourself.”

Lyle pulled out his gun and eased his way out of the Jumper, as he moved away from it to check Parker hadn’t tried to set a trap for him he jumped when Parker stumbled out of the Jumper which slowly moved away from them.

“Damn him,” Parker snapped aiming her gun at the bushes.



“What’s going on?” Carson asked John.

“We’re springing a trap,” John replied, “I had to trust Rodney knew what he was doing. Which he obviously didn’t.”

“He’s going to be lucky not to have a concussion after that,” Carson noted his professional persona pushing through to deal with what had just happened.

“Rodney has amazing luck,” John pressed a gun into Carson’s hands, “Just keep your gun on them. Don’t fire, just hold it on them,” John told him before turning to the other Pretender, “Jarod it’s your show.”



Jarod passed Emily to Jeannie, “Stay here,” he told them before he marched out his gun aimed at Lyle.

“Jarod,” Lyle gave a feral smile. “You know I’m not even going to bother trying to talk to you about coming back to the Centre.”

“It’s a waste of breath,” Jarod shrugged, “So, Miss Parker? What about you?”

She glared at him as she realised what he was doing, this wasn't part of the plan.

“Jarod?” she growled.

“You can either follow your mother’s path and help me,” Jarod told her, “Or you can shoot me.”

“Don’t tempt me, Jarod,” Parker snapped.

“Time to choose, Parker,” Jarod told her.

From their hiding place Jeannie and Emily exchanged glances, “What the hell is he doing?”

Carson shrugged but John smiled, “Making her finally choose sides in a way she can’t wriggle out of.”

Parker stepped towards Jarod her gun aimed at his chest, she pressed the barrel against his heart before resting it on its side and stepping behind Jarod.

Lyle stared at her, “You’re dead,” he yelled, “When they find out at the Centre you’re dead Parker.”

“I’m getting out of the ‘Family Business’,” Parker replied.

Jarod grabbed Parker around her waist pulling her to the ground as Lyle started to fire. He let off several shots before running into the forest.



Jarod looked down at the woman lying below him, “Are you alright?”

“Would you get off me,” Parker snapped, pulling herself out of the dirt.

He let her up as John, Emily and Jeannie came running over. Emily grabbed her brother in a tight hug scolding him for doing something so incredibly stupid.

“You guys okay?” John asked.

“Fine,” Parker glared at Jarod who was trying to halt Emily’s angry diatribe.

“Rodney, get back here so we can all go home,” John called to his friend.

“Aren’t we going after Lyle?” Rodney asked over the radio as the Jumper came to land beside them.

“No, Rodney,” John replied, watching as the back of the ship opened up, “We’re going to get our lost lambs back to Atlantis and you to the infirmary because quite frankly you look like shit.”

“Thanks,” Rodney hobbled out, finding his sister at his side checking his bruises, “Carson can fly this thing home. My head feels like it’s going to explode.”

“Speaking of,” Jeannie said looking around, “Where is he?”

“Good point,” John turned to the other three, “Where’s Carson?”

Emily looked up from her argument with her brother worry filling her eyes, “Oh my God.”

The five of them looked around finding no sign of the Doctor.

“Rodney?” John asked.

“I can’t do it,” he said, “My head hurts so much I can’t focus on him.”

“Carson!!” John yelled, jogging back to where they’d been hiding he stopped and gasped, “Oh damn.”

“Did you find him?” Emily called joining him, she turned back, “Jarod!!!!!!!!” she yelled before dropping down where Carson lay unconscious blood pouring from the bullet wound in his shoulder.
Chapter 8 by LE McMurray
Elizabeth stood waiting in the bay as John brought the Jumper down to land, the moment the hatch opened the medical team surged forward. Elizabeth watched John pull Emily away from Carson’s prone figure as the medical team checked his wound before getting ready to move him.

She glanced up as the second Jumper landed knowing Jeannie and Rodney would more than likely come out demanding to know how their friend was.

“Help,” Jeannie’s voice came from inside the Jumper.

Elizabeth grabbed one of the nurses hanging at the edges of the group heading to the second Jumper where Jeannie was awkwardly holding an unconscious Rodney who it seemed had collapsed the moment the Jumper had landed. The nurse ran to get some help while Elizabeth moved to help.

“What happened?” she asked, worried at how pale her Chief Scientist was.

“He got hit pretty hard,” Jeannie whispered, “Then flying back took a lot out of him.”

Elizabeth squeezed Jeannie’s hand, “He’ll be okay. Rodney’s tougher than most people think he is.”

“I know,” Jeannie murmured, relieved when the team arrived to cart their second casualty off to the infirmary.



John paced the small room they were waiting in to hear about their two friends. Emily was sitting beside her brother, her face pale as she shook with worry.

Jeannie was leaning against a wall her arms crossed as Parker sat with her head back against the wall, her eyes closed.

“Any news?” Elizabeth asked, appearing through the door.

“Nothing yet,” John replied, “What about from the mainland?”

“Ronon reported that one of the Athonsian’s saw Lieutenant Lyle fall off a cliff into the lake before watching his body get washed out to sea,” Elizabeth told him softly, “From what we can tell, he’s dead.”

“Good,” John murmured.

“John,” Elizabeth gasped shocked.

“Look who was bleeding when we came back,” John snapped, “And tell me I don’t have a right to be happy he’s dead.”

The door opening saved Elizabeth from having to answer.

“Dr Mendes?” Elizabeth stepped forward, “How are they?”

“Dr McKay will be fine,” Mendes explained, “He’ll more than likely have an extreme headache for several days.”

“And Carson?” Elizabeth pushed.

“He lost a lot of blood,” Mendes continued, “But he’s stable. He’ll have to have some physiotherapy but he should regain full use of his arm.”

“Can I see him?” Emily asked softly.

Mendes looked over at her and he gave a smile, “Of course. He’s sleeping for the moment and if he wakes up he’ll be extremely groggy from the painkillers.”

“I understand,” Emily nodded, following him with Jarod at her side.



Carson groaned as he woke up unsure what was going on. Shifting slightly he realised that he was in a bed which in one way was a relief because it meant they were safe but in another it was worrying since he couldn’t remember how he’d got here.

His nose was itching so Carson moved to scratch it but as he moved his arm pain shot through it.

“Stay still,” a soft voice said from his side as a gentle hand touched his forehead.

“Em?” Carson whispered, forcing open his eyes o find her leaning over him, “Are you alright?”

“Better than you,” she smiled down at him before she gently kissed him.

“What happened?” he asked.

“You didn’t get down fast enough,” John said from nearby.

Carson tore his eyes away from Emily to look behind her where Jarod and John were standing, “Is anyone else injured?”

“Rodney collapsed when he got the Jumper back here,” John replied, “Jeannie and Parker are with him.”

Carson nodded unable to stop the yawn making Emily smile.

“Get some rest,” she told him, kissing his forehead.

Carson closed his eyes smiling as he felt her take his hand allowing himself to drift back to sleep.



“I think I’ve seen this place more than my own room,” Jeannie murmured as she took a seat at her brother’s bedside.

Parker nodded, “I know what you mean. I saw a lot of this place the both times I’ve been here.”

Jeannie glanced over at the other woman, “So you’ve decided to be our friend?”

“Don’t start on things you don’t understand,” Parker told Jeannie her voice low with menace.

“And don’t threaten me,” Jeannie replied sharply.

“Could you two keep the noise down?” Rodney groaned from the bed, “I have a thumping headache.”

Jeannie moved to look down on him, “Other than the headache how’re you feeling?”

“I’m fine,” he sighed, “What about Carson?”

“From what we’ve been told,” Parker joined them, “He’s going to be okay.”

Rodney nodded, “Good,” he glanced up at Parker, “Are you avoiding Jarod?”

She frowned at him, “We don’t want anymore casualties.”

He laughed, “I think I’m going to go back to sleep.”

“Do that,” Parker muttered.

He closed his eyes unable to stop the amused smile he wore.

*********************************************

“You look like hell,” Jeannie noted as she found her brother sitting in his lab staring at his laptop about a week later.

“Thanks,” he muttered, slamming his hand on the bench making her jump, “This idiot has this all wrong.”

“You do realise that there is actually no one here but me,” she pointed out, “The beast known as ‘Dr McKay’ doesn’t work on me.”

He frowned at her, “I do actually have a job to do here you know.”

“What’s with you?” Jeannie asked a little shocked.

He sighed rubbing his eyes, “I’m tired okay. I can’t sleep at the moment; every time I lie down to relax I end up waking up because of the pain.”

“Have you spoken to the Doctor?” she pulled up a chair.

Rodney shook his head, “Since part of my Pretend is that I hate Doctors and I only trust Carson…”

“Then go talk to Carson,” Jeannie cried in annoyance.

Rodney opened his mouth to protest but Jeannie cut him off.

“He’s supervising in the infirmary until his arm heals,” Jeannie reminded her brother, “Ask him for some sort of sedative or painkillers because you need to sleep.”

Rodney sighed, “I’ll talk to him,” he conceded, “After I kick Kavanagh’s ass for being such a moron.”

“I’ll be checking up on you,” she told him before wandering back out.



Carson sat at his desk trying to finish a report frustrated as he could only type with one hand. His right arm was strapped to his body and since every single nurse and doctor was constantly monitoring him he couldn’t rip it off.

“You know that’s how I type,” John noted from the door.

“What can I do for you, Colonel?” Carson sighed.

John wandered in and pulled over a chair, “I just wanted to check up on you.”

“I am being smothered by everybody,” Carson muttered annoyed, “When I’m working it’s ‘do you need anything Dr’ or ‘don’t worry we’ll do it’. It’s driving me insane.”

John couldn’t help but laugh.

“And Emily,” Carson groaned, “Don’t get me wrong I love her but she’s constantly hovering over me.”

“She’s just worried about you,” John reminded him, “You know that.”

“Aye, I do but it’s still driving me crazy,” Carson rolled his eyes; he shrugged giving up on finishing his work, “What about you and Jeannie?”

John looked at him confused, “What do you mean?”

“I thought you two…” he trailed off looking embarrassed.

“You’re the second person who’s said that to me,” John frowned.

Carson shrugged, “You have been spending a lot of time together lately.”

“She’s engaged,” John told his friend, “Even if I wanted something to happen it wouldn’t.”

Carson watched John leave and smiled, “I’ve never heard one word about a fiancé.”



“Why am I here?” Parker asked annoyed as she entered the gym early that evening to find Jarod waiting for her.

He was wearing his workout gear and tossed her a set of Athosian fighting sticks, “Since you haven’t spoke to me all week I thought you might like to get it out of your system.”

A slow smile covered her face, “And you’re offering to let me beat you to death?”

“Miss Parker,” Jarod replied, picking up two sticks of his own and readying himself, “I will be defending myself.”

She copied his stance, “Ready?”

“It’s what you’ve been wanting to do for a long time,” Jarod reminder her, “So attack.”

Parker smiled again and started her attack. Jarod countered each move enjoying the sound of the sticks cracking off each other.

“Teyla taught me to do this,” Parker said breathing heavily as they faced each other again, “How did you learn?”

He grinned at her, “I watched.”

“I hate you,” she snapped annoyed.

Jarod shrugged and attacked again. Parker was pushed back as she defended each movement he made before she dropped to the floor and swept his feet out from under him. As Jarod went down she moved onto him pressing the smooth wood against his throat.

“I win,” she smiled down at him.

Jarod gripped the sides of the sticks and pushed her off him, Parker rolled to a stand readying herself to fight again.

“Scared?” she asked as he hesitated.

Jarod smiled, “Are you?”

“Come on Jarod,” she goaded, “Show me what you’ve got.”

He attacked again both of them grinning as they fought; finally he pushed her against the wall trapping her hands above her head.

“I guess I win,” Jarod murmured, staring into her dark eyes.

“Don’t bet on it,” Parker replied as she breathed hard from their exercise.

“I’m sorry I forced you to choose,” Jarod said, releasing her hands, “But if he hadn’t escaped…”

“Shut up, Jarod,” Parker grabbed him round his neck and pulled him into a kiss.

Jarod was a little shocked at her actions but he relaxed into her pressing her against the wall again.

“I think this is more fun than the fighting,” Jarod whispered, his finger gently stroking her cheek.

Parker slipped out from between Jarod and the wall to his surprise, she picked up her things and headed out of the door. She stopped looking back to where he was standing staring at her confused.

“Are you coming?” she asked before disappearing.

*********************************************

Carson opened the door to his rooms stopping amazed to find Emily there with dinner all prepared.

“What’s this?” he asked as she came over to kiss him.

Emily smiled at him, “Since you’ve been so crotchety the past few days. I thought I would bring dinner here and spare everyone else your bad mood.”

“I am not in a bad mood,” he groused, frowning as Emily just looked at him wryly, “Alright maybe I am. But this damn thing is driving me mad.”

Emily rested her hand against his cheek, “The other option is not one I want to think about.”

Carson looked ashamed and drew her close to him with his good arm, “Sorry, Em. I’m not ungrateful that I’m alive, just annoyed by the way everyone is treating me like I cannae do my work.”

“They’re your friends and they’re worried about you,” Emily reminded him, she stretched up and kissed him quickly, “Now we should eat before it gets cold.”

Carson grinned at her releasing her so they could have dinner. Emily being considerate had brought some stew so that he didn’t have to cut anything up. His mind wandered as they ate over how different life had been from the moment they’d confessed their true feelings to one another during their abduction. Emily had practically moved in with him, although her things were spread out across the two rooms she was always there when he finished his shift…the past two days he’d been allowed to do anything.

“Are you okay?” Emily asked as she cleared away their dishes.

“I was just thinking about a few things,” he smiled at her.

Emily finished what she was doing and took him by the arm leading him to the bed, “You need to rest.”

“Em…”

“Carson,” she cut him off, “You look exhausted. For me, just close your eyes for ten, fifteen minutes and if you don’t feel like sleeping then…”

“We’ll do something else?” he grinned at her.

Emily swatted his good shoulder, “Not until you’ve healed, I don’t want to end up in the infirmary trying to explain to your staff who are very protective of you how we managed to burst your stitches.”

Carson laughed and lay down closing his eyes he felt himself relax and sighed knowing she’d been right, he needed to sleep. As he drifted away he felt Emily rest against him and smiled.



“Hey Teyla,” John greeted his team-mate as she joined him on the balcony.

“John,” she smiled, leaning on the rail beside him looking out across the horizon at the sunset, “I see why you are here, it is beautiful.”

He shrugged, “I’m only out here for the fresh air.”

“Of course,” she smiled knowingly, “You’re macho reputation is completely safe.”

John rolled his eyes at her before they fell into silence watching the sunset in companionable silence.

“Can I ask you something?” John turned to her.

“I believe you just did,” Teyla replied smoothly.

“Oh you are a riot,” John glared at her.

“Ask away, Colonel,” Teyla told him softly.

John frowned, “Have you heard any rumours lately concerning me and Jeannie?”

“Of course,” Teyla replied with a shrug.

“What?” he stared at her, “Then what are they?”

Teyla rolled her eyes, “The usual, Colonel. You know what Atlantis is like; two people who even talk to each other for a few seconds are seeing one another.”

“So nothing to worry about?” John asked softly.

“I would be concerned more that you are worried about the rumours,” Teyla smiled before walking away, “Goodnight, John.”



Jeannie knocked on the door to her brother’s room smiling at him as she entered finding him sitting on his bed a book lying open beside him.

“Did you go see Carson?” Jeannie asked him sternly.

Rodney rolled his eyes, “You know I’m old enough to look after myself?”

“I’ve seen the evidence,” Jeannie planted her hands on her hips and stared at him.

“Yes,” he cried after a few minutes, “I went to see him, I got some drugs now leave me alone.”

Jeannie nodded, “Goodnight. Rodney. Sleep well.”

He muttered something under his breath as she left him. Jeannie stuck her hands in her pockets as she walked along the corridors towards the Gateroom. Despite insisting her brother sleep tonight Jeannie was working for a good part of it. Everything that had happened had meant her actual job on Atlantis had suffered and Jeannie had decided this was the best time to catch up on everything. It meant fewer interruptions.

“Hi, Jeannie,” Simms greeted her from the Stargate controls, his grin wide; “Will you be in Weir’s office?”

“That’s where the comfy chair is,” she replied, disappearing into the office.

Once there Jeannie opened up the computer absently tapping in her password as she started sorting through the files Elizabeth had left for her.

It was several hours later Simms appeared offering her some coffee, Jeannie shook her head hoping that she’d be finishing soon. She was tired so Jeannie leaned back against the chair resting her feet on the desk and closed her eyes for a few moments.

Hearing a noise Jeannie started awake, looking up she saw Lyle standing over Simms who was slumped over the console. He turned, saw her and aimed his gun at her.
Jeannie screamed when he fired falling backwards as the glass shattered, she felt something sting her forehead before pain exploded and she fell to the ground unconscious.
Chapter 9 by LE McMurray
Lyle sat in the back of the ship hidden under his hood with the two Athosians youths he had persuaded to help him. The gullible fools believed he had been persecuted by those in Atlantis, their own dislike of Weir and her people blinding them to Lyle’s advantage. Lyle was extremely pleased with himself at managing to persuade them to tell everyone he was dead after only a few minutes.

He needed to get through the Stargate to Earth but he didn’t have an IDC so that meant he’d need to try another planet for a way to get the Pretenders.

Lyle had studied the work patterns of the Atlantis control room team so he knew when the best time for them to strike would be.

Arriving in the city they headed to the rooms they would be using and waited. When the time came Lyle and his two acolytes started through the halls of the city. It was late and most people were sleeping; only the skeleton crew were awake. Making it to the Gateroom Lyle quickly and silently disposed of the marine who didn’t have a chance to fight back.

There were two men working at the controls both with their back to Lyle who smiled, one of the Athosian boys knocked the first unconscious. Lyle waited until the second had turned before jamming the gun into his forehead.

“Dial me a safe planet,” Lyle told him.

The man nodded, “Alright. Just give me one min…” he gasped as Lyle grabbed his hand and twisted.

“No calling for help,” Lyle sighed, smacking his gun against the other man’s temple, “Kidel, you know of a planet we can go?”

The young man who looked amazed and honoured that Lyle had asked him nodded quickly.

“Do it,” Lyle ordered, rolling his eyes as the boy knocked over one of the mugs sitting there.

He turned towards the office and saw Jeannie McKay sitting there shock in her eyes, he quickly aimed and fired smiling as she screamed and fell. In front of him the Gate burst open.

“Go,” Lyle told them, he took a look into the office finding the woman on the ground blood oozing from a wound in her head before running down the stairs and through the Stargate, he’d be back and soon.



Elizabeth smiled as she met John as they both headed to the Control room.

“You’re up early,” Elizabeth noted as they walked.

John shrugged, “I was about to say the same thing.”

“I’ve got a lot of work to do,” Elizabeth rolled her eyes; “It never stops. What’s your excuse?”

“Couldn’t sleep,” he replied, “Thought I’d come and shake up the guards on duty. Make sure they haven’t fallen asleep on the job.”

Elizabeth laughed, “Well whatever gets you through the morning. I thought you’d be out running with Ronon.”

“That’s not for about two hours,” John replied as they reached the entrance to the Gateroom, “That’s odd,” he frowned.

“What?” Elizabeth asked.

“Guard’s gone,” he replied pulling his gun.

“You know it worries me you carry that everywhere you go,” Elizabeth told him.

“It makes me feel more of a man,” John muttered sarcastically, “Now stay here.”

He moved slowly into the Gateroom scowling as Elizabeth appeared behind him.

“Didn’t I just tell you to stay there?” John demanded annoyed.

“Since when do you do what I tell you?” Elizabeth replied, making him scowl even more.

“That’s not the issue,” he growled, “Just stay behind me, okay?”

She nodded, “You’re the boss.”

This earned her an annoyed look before John moved further into the room, he couldn’t see anyone else anywhere so moved up to the control room.

“Oh my God,” Elizabeth gasped as she saw the two men sprawled across consoles before she saw the shattered window to her office.

As Elizabeth checked one of the men John quickly checked the other for a pulse, “Medical team to control room,” he ordered finding one.

John left Elizabeth with the two men and moved into her office to check that. As he moved closer he saw a hand sticking out from behind the desk. Horror filled him as he looked down on Jeannie.

“Elizabeth,” he yelled.

“What’s wrong?” she came running over, stopping in horror as she saw the woman, “Is she…”

John shook his head, “She has a pulse. Where the hell is the medical team?”

“They’re coming,” she breathed, “They’re coming.”

*********************************************

Rodney groaned as someone banged on his door waking him up. He’d actually managed to sleep right through but now he was stiffer than before. The banging on his door became more and more insistent.

“Alright,” Rodney snapped, “I will open it in a minute.”

Hobbling over to the door he opened it surprised to see Zelenka standing there his face grave.

“Radek?” Rodney asked rubbing his hand over his face, “Why are you here?”

“Something happened last night in the control room,” Zelenka told him.

Rodney groaned, “What did they break?”

“Rodney,” Zelenka licked his lips, “Jeannie has been hurt.”

Shock covered Rodney’s face as he took this in, “Hurt?”

“Lyle somehow got into the city,” Zelenka explained, “Jeannie was there and he shot…”

Rodney stormed past him stopping suddenly as he realised he wasn't dressed, he turned back pulled on his pants, shoes and sweatshirt before running to the infirmary.

Rodney skidded to a halt finding John speaking with Carson sadness covered both their faces and fear filled him

“Rodney,” Carson turned and saw him standing.

“How is she?” Rodney whispered.

“The bullet only grazed her forehead,” Carson explained, “However when Jeannie fell she hit her head hard on the wall. At the moment she’s still unconscious.”

Rodney stared at Carson his medical knowledge flooding into his mind, “There could be damage.”

“At the look of the wall where she fell,” Carson continued softly, “It’s very possible.”

“Can he see her?” John interrupted seeing how blank his friend looked.

Carson nodded, “Aye, go sit with her. It’ll help.”

“Thank you,” Rodney whispered not moving.

Carson motioned to John who took his friend’s arm and leading him to his sister’s bedside.



Jeannie’s face was almost pure white as she lay there; only her dark hair separated her from the sheets. Rodney shakily sat down unable to tear his eyes from her face.

“This is my fault,” Rodney whispered.

“What?” John demanded as he pulled a seat over to join his friend.

“I should have felt this happen,” Rodney explained, “But I…she told me to get something to help me sleep and I did.”

John rested his hand on Rodney’s shoulder squeezing it tightly in comfort, “She’s going to be alright. You know that don’t you?”

“I don’t,” Rodney whispered, “I don’t know it. What if she dies John?”

“She’s not going to die,” John snapped.

“It’ll be my fault,” Rodney continued, “I got her into this. I should have protected her better than this.”

John grabbed Rodney’s face making Rodney look at him, “This is not your fault. Okay? Understand?”

Rodney dropped his eyes and John forced him to look back up.

“Say it,” John ordered, “It’s not my fault.”

“It’s not my fault,” Rodney said quietly.

“Again.”

“It’s not my fault,” Rodney repeated a little louder.

John patted him on the shoulder, “Just hold onto that.”

*********************************************

Parker and Jarod ran towards the infirmary finding Emily standing at the door waiting for them.

“What happened?” Parker demanded.

Emily still hadn’t gotten over her resentment of Parker but considering the obvious feelings her brother had for the woman Emily was trying to be civil. She quickly explained what she knew.

“Come on,” Emily told them, “Carson said you can sit with her for a while.”

Emily lead them to the room where Rodney and John were sitting at Jeannie’s bedside, Parker instantly moved and went to Rodney. Rodney hugged her as Parker rocked him gently, rubbing his shoulder.

Jarod put his arms around his sister’s shoulders hugging her, “Are you okay?”

“Carson doesn’t know if she’s going to get out of this without any brain damage,” Emily whispered, “Rodney’s not taking it well.”

Jarod rested his head against hers, “I know how I would feel it was you.”

Emily smiled slightly, “I take it you two are talking again.”

A shy smile touched Jarod’s face, “Yes. For the moment until I do something to upset her.”

“I’m pleased for you,” Emily said softly.

“You hate her,” Jarod replied with a shrug.

“I don’t trust her, Jarod,” Emily told her brother, “But I will be civil, for you.”

“Thank you,” Jarod smiled giving another quick hug before he went to join the others crowding around Jeannie’s bed.



Elizabeth was pacing the briefing room anger boiling in her.

“Dr Weir?” Teyla’s gentle voice broke through her thoughts, “You wished to see me?”

“Teyla, please sit down,” Elizabeth pulled herself together, “I assume you know what happened last night.”

“Yes,” Teyla said softly, “It is a shocking thing.”

“The thing is from what we know Lieutenant Lyle was helped by two Athosian youths,” Elizabeth winced seeing the look in Teyla’s eyes.

“Is this something that has been proven or just someone’s rash accusation?” Teyla’s soft voice never wavered but the tone was sharper than before.

“Dr Simms gave the statement,” Elizabeth explained, “I was hoping you would be able to find out who it was.”

“I shall speak to Halling,” Teyla promised, “If someone is willing to take me to the mainland.”

“Lieutenant Jordan is waiting for you,” Elizabeth told her.

Teyla gave the other woman a gentle nod before leaving. Elizabeth leaned back in her chair worrying.



Carson stood watching the small family gathered around the bed where the young woman was laying. He felt completely useless because all he’d been able to do was stand in the background and occasionally call out an order. He hadn’t been able to help hands on and part of him felt he could have done more if he had.

“It’s not your fault,” Parker said coming to stand beside him a cup of coffee in her hand, “You couldn’t have done any more than you did.”

“If she dies I don’t know what Rodney will do,” Carson noted.

“He’s a survivor,” Parker told him, “And from what I’ve seen so is Jeannie. Don’t count her out just yet.”

“I was hoping Lyle was really dead,” Carson murmured.

Parker gave a snort of derision, “Well I’ve tried to kill him more than once but my brother has a habit of not dying.”

Carson turned to her, “Your brother?”

“You didn’t know that did you?” Parker frowned, “Yeah. Lyle the psychopath is my twin brother. We’re not close.”

“I guessed,” Carson said wryly.

She patted him on the shoulder and headed back into the room, handing the coffee to Rodney before leaning against Jarod who slipped his arms around her waist. Carson continued to watch for a moment before heading back to his work.

*********************************************

John stood watching Rodney from the doorway after the others had left. They all had work to do so had drifted away one by one leaving Rodney sitting and John watching.

“I only just got to know her,” Rodney spoke for the first time in hours, “We were becoming close and now…”

“She’s going to pull through this, Rodney,” John reminded him.

Rodney sighed and took his sister’s hand in his again.

“You know she did this when you were hurt,” John told his friend, “She was scared that you wouldn’t pull through but you did,” he moved to sit across from him, “I sat with her and although she was mad at what had brought her here, she was grateful for the chance to get to know you.”

Rodney smiled slightly.

“Did you know she’s engaged?” John asked, trying to keep his friend talking.

“She yelled it at me when we were coming here,” Rodney smiled slightly; “We had a talk about during the week and she told me about him.”

“Come on,” John rolled his eyes, “Tell me about the guy.”

“Why are you so interested?” Rodney asked suspiciously.

“Because,” John grinned a wicked gleam in his eyes, “According to the rumour mill, Jeannie and I are in the middle of some sort of torrid affair; I’d like some sort of details on my competition.”

Rodney started to laugh, “I was wondering why people shut up every time I came close to their tables in the commissary.”

“Apparently we’ve been spending a lot of time together,” John shrugged, “It appears that invisibility cloak you’ve been tampering with works.”

Rodney continued to laugh the tension in his eyes easing for a moment.



Jarod found Parker in the gym after her shift going one on one with one of the Marines, who she was beating. He knew she felt guilty about what had happened to Jeannie, they both did.

They’d had so many chances to get rid of Lyle but something always stopped them.

“Hey,” he greeted her when she walked over to him.

“What do you want?” Parker snapped as she rubbed her face with her towel.

“I thought…” he trailed off, “I just wanted to make sure you were alright.”

“I’m fine,” Parker replied sharply marching out of the room.

Jarod sighed, receiving sympathetic looks from the marines in the room before he headed after her.

“It isn’t your fault, Parker,” Jarod called after her as she marched along the corridor.

She stopped allowing him to catch up with her, her eyes narrowed at him.

“I was sent to kill him, Jarod,” she reminded him harshly, “Years ago and I thought I had. Why won’t he die?”

“Parker you can’t blame yourself for this,” Jarod told her, “I should have fired the day he killed Kyle.”

Parker gave a derisive laugh, “Like I told you.”

“I didn’t want to hit you,” Jarod reminded her sadly, “But if I’d done it we would have saved ourselves a lot of grief.”

Parker sighed stepping into him resting her head against his chest wrapping her arms around his waist.

“Come on,” Jarod whispered into her hair, “We should get something to eat and then we can go back to the infirmary.”

Parker nodded and with one arm still around Jarod’s waist started walking again.



Carson sat in his office going over and over Jeannie’s test results hoping for some sign in them whether or not she’d suffered brain damage but they were revealing nothing useful.

He glanced up and watched Rodney sitting at his sister’s bedside. Zelenka had taken over from John about an hour ago so he could speak with Elizabeth.

“Carson, you need to get some rest,” Emily’s voice shook him from his thoughts; “You’re still recovering.”

“I was hoping I could find something to give Rodney hope,” Carson told her smiling as she slipped her hand in his.

“Have you?” Emily whispered.

He shook his head, “I don’t know how she’ll be when she wakes up, if she wakes up. Em I feel so useless.”

Emily slipped her arms around him pulling him close, “You’re not useless. You did everything you could. But you won’t be of any use if you collapse, so please come back to your room and get some rest.”



“John,” Elizabeth nodded sharply as he entered the briefing room, “Teyla just reported back.”

John took his seat, “And?”

“From what she can tell two Athosian youths helped Lieutenant Lyle,” Elizabeth told him, “By lying about his demise then hiding him within the village, sneaking him to Atlantis before helping him go through the Stargate.”

“Any indication where he went?” John asked his voice not showing his anger.

“We have the last Gate address dialled,” Elizabeth said stopping him from saying anything, “We sent a MALP which shows they’re not there anymore.”

“So we can’t follow him,” John snapped the urge to hit something returning full force.

“No.”

They sat in silence for several minutes before John stood up again.

“I’ll sort security and a plan for when he comes back,” he told her.

Elizabeth frowned, “You’re sure he’ll come back.”

John turned back to her his eyes dark with anger, “Yes.”

Elizabeth watched him walk away worry filling her, for the young woman lying in a coma in the infirmary, for their Chief Scientist who was sitting waiting at his sister’s bedside and she hoped no one else would be hurt by this Lyle.
Chapter 10 by LE McMurray
“Jack, you know Sam’s still asking what I did when I was visiting you to end up with a sprained wrist,” Daniel said as he held the phone to his ear with his shoulder while he tapped at his keyboard with his good hand.

“Well you should have thought up a lie before you went back,” Jack laughed at him.

“Sam can always tell when I’m lying,” Daniel sighed frowning as his friend laughed even more.

The alarms sounded throughout the base and Daniel sat up straighter, “That should be them.”

“Do you have the email ready to send?” Jack asked.

Daniel rolled his eyes even though Jack couldn’t see him, “No, Jack I thought I’d write it just now.”

“Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, Danny,” Jack reminded him.

Daniel laughed, “Has to do with the company I’ve been keeping for the past few years.”

“Send it,” Jack ordered.

“I already have,” Daniel replied, “And just received one from Jarod,” Daniel forwarded it to Jack before he quickly scanned the text and gasped, “Oh damn.”

“I second that,” Jack murmured, “We can’t even do anything.”

Daniel let out an annoyed sigh as well, “How are things going?”

“We’re cleaning up now,” Jack told him.

“Have you found anything about my…”

“Not yet,” Jack cut him off, “But the moment I do I’ll call you I promise.”

“I know,” Daniel sighed watching the computer as the connection cut.

“Daniel,” Jack snapped suddenly, “Are they still there?”

“No, the Gates shut down,” Daniel replied, “What’s wrong?”

“I just got an email from our clean-up crew,” Jack told him, “Parker and Lyle weren’t the only assassins sent on the last trip. There’s one more.”

“Who?”

“I don’t know,” Jack replied, “There’s no way to warn them.”

“We just have to hope Rodney’s sense for impending danger is on,” Daniel sighed, “The next contact is not for three weeks.”

They fell into silence both staring at the emails on their screens.



Jarod sat at the computer with Parker and Emily getting ready to send the email to Earth via Rodney’s system. With Jeannie still unconscious Rodney was refusing to leave the infirmary even for this but luckily Jarod knew the computer system just as well. The moment the Gate opened he hit send surprised as an email arrived for them.

“Oh my God,” Jarod murmured as he quickly read it.

“What?” Parker demanded at the shock on his face, “Jarod, what’s happened?”

“It’s over,” Jarod told her in shock, “The Centre…it’s gone. They’ve done it.”

“We’re free?” Emily gasped.

Jarod nodded too stunned to speak for several moments before continuing, “Jack and Daniel led a taskforce which took over the Blue Cove while other teams took over every other base they had.”

“What about my father?” Parker asked softly frowning at the other woman who looked at her coldly, “I know what he’s done but he’s still my father.”

Jarod rested his hand on her arm, “He’s safe and he’s agreed to testify against everyone else. Sydney and Broots are both safe as well.”

“Thank God,” Parker sighed, “This means once the Daedalus arrives back again we can all go home.”

“What’s the attachment?” Emily asked her brother who was staring in amazement at Parker.

“I don’t know,” Jarod mused, he clicked the button and gasped in astonishment at the picture that appeared on the screen.

“Mom and Dad,” Emily whispered amazed, “They’re safe and together.”

“I’ll finally get to meet her,” Jarod whispered, joy overwhelming him.



“Dr Starr,” Elizabeth greeted Jarod as he entered her office later that afternoon, “Please take a seat.”

Jarod sat opposite her waiting, “What can I do for you?”

“Considering Rodney is not able to work at the moment,” she started, “I need the team out there but I don’t want them to go one man down. You and Rodney are friends, so I was hoping you would take his place until he is able to rejoin them.”

Jarod looked at her a little shocked but nodded, “Of course. Until he’s ready to return to work I’ll take his place on the team.”

“Thank you, Dr,” Elizabeth smiled at him, “Dismissed.”

Jarod left her a smile on his face. He was more than happy to go off world at any time but with John’s team was a good thing.

“Why are you grinning?” Parker asked him when she met him in the lab.

“I’m going with John and his team until Rodney’s able to,” Jarod told her, “We don’t have much time left here, I want to get to see as much as possible.”

“Yeah,” Parker agreed, she stepped into him resting her head against his chest, “It feels strange knowing the Centre is gone. Knowing we’re actually free.”

Jarod wrapped his arms around her, “Yeah. It also means once we leave here we are no longer Hunter and Hunted. What then?”

She looked up at him her eyes filled with peace, “We’ll see.”

Jarod frowned, “We’ll see?”

“Yes,” she kissed him, “We’ll see.”

*********************************************

Carson glanced up from his work to check on Rodney. He was sleeping; his head had dropped onto the bed while his hand continued to hold Jeannie’s. Carson sighed wishing he could do more but it was now up to Jeannie to come back to them.

“What the hell did you do to your arm?” a familiar and unexpected voice came from the doorway.

“Laura?” Carson smiled, turning to find the strawberry blonde Lieutenant standing in the doorway grinning at him, “I didn’t know you were back.”

He stood and embraced her; their relationship had been short but had ended with them as good friends.

“Just got here,” she told him, “I was dropped off at the Alpha site before the Daedalus came here. I just arrived back through the Stargate.”

“It’s good to see you,” Carson told her genuinely.

“So what happened to your arm?” she asked again.

Carson shrugged slightly, “I was shot.”

Her eyes widened, “Dare I even ask for more than that?”

“I’d prefer if you didn’t,” Carson told her, “So, how’s Earth these days?”

Laura shrugged, “The usual. My parents were thrilled to have me back,” she moved to lean on the desk and frowned as she saw the man sleeping against the bed, “Is that Rodney?”

“Yeah,” Carson sighed brushing his hand through his hair, “His sister is in a serious condition.”

“His sister?” Laura asked confused.

Carson quickly gave her the story as much as he could watching her reaction. He’d always suspected Laura had feelings for Rodney but this just confirmed it.

“You should go in and see him,” Carson told her, “He could use a friendly face.”

Laura stared at him for several minutes a soft frown covering her face before she pushed off the desk and moved towards Rodney.



Rodney jumped as he felt someone gently touch his shoulder; he blinked blearily frowning as the figure came into view, “Cadman?”

“Hi, Rodney,” she said softly as she pulled a seat up beside him.

Rodney was more than a little shocked to find her there, he was sure she’d gone back to Earth on the Daedalus months ago.

“Do you mind if I sit with you for a while?” she asked, her voice gentle.

“That’d be nice,” he gave her a sad smile, he was too tired to ‘pretend’ just now and any small comfort was welcome.

Laura took his free hand and squeezed turning to look at the woman lying on the bed studying her. Rodney turned to his sister checking for any differences before returning his attention to the woman sitting at his side.

They’d met on the Daedalus on the way back from Earth after they’d reported on what had happened on Atlantis over the previous year, from the moment Rodney had met her there was something about Laura Cadman that intrigued Rodney but he knew that getting close to anyone at all was dangerous for both of them. So he’d been ‘Dr McKay’ around her making sure that she didn’t get anywhere close to the real Rodney. He’d been extremely disappointed to learn that she was interested in Carson but in a way relieved. He made a point of ignoring her until she’d been assigned to accompany him and Carson, then her consciousness had been trapped in his body. The constant ‘Pretend’ of those few days had taken it’s toll on him, unlike Jarod one thing Rodney needed was a short time each day when he could be himself and with her in his head he’d had to keep it up constantly. For the few days after it John had hovered near him making sure he was alright. After that he hadn’t seen her much, other than in the distance, until she’d helped during the situation with the Goa’uld in Caldwell trying to blow them all up.

“Why?” Rodney demanded to John a few days after, “Why does she constantly make those comments every time I’m around her?”

John laughed amazed at the naivety of his friend, “It’s like at school, Rodney. You know when the girl who liked you would make fun of you while you would go push her or pull her hair.”

“Oh yes, John,” Rodney replied sarcastically, “Because I had that kind of childhood.”

John frowned wincing at his mistake, “Oh yeah. Sorry about that.”

It was at that point John realised that his panic at Alina’s attentions on Dagan the previous year had been the real Rodney and not part of his pretend. Rodney had been raised completely isolated from the real world and when he’d suddenly entered it an adult he had very little idea on how to handle people, especially women.

“You know, Rodney;” John said softly, “She and Carson are no longer a couple. Why don’t you actually ask her out?”

Panic covered his face, “What?”

“Never mind,” John patted his shoulder.

Laura had left not long after and Rodney had decided just to forget all about her. Except now she was sitting at his side her hand gently holding his and he felt more comforted by this than by anything the others had done.

*********************************************

Jarod felt as though he’d never be warm again. The rain was lashing down outside the cave they’d taken shelter in. Teyla had managed to start a fire but with little dry wood it wasn't big nor was it going to last long.

“Doing okay, Doc?” John asked taking the seat beside Jarod.

“Fine, Colonel,” Jarod replied with a nod.

John laughed, “This is too weird. You don’t complain at all.”

“Missing Rodney?” Jarod noted.

John sighed glancing over to where Ronon and Teyla were sitting talking, “Worried about him. I’ve never seen him like this before.”

Jarod sighed, “He’s feeling guilty that he didn’t sense she was in danger.”

“You ever thought about how he does that?” John asked thoughtfully, “I mean what does it feel like?”

Jarod shrugged, “I can pretend, Colonel but I don’t have Rodney’s abilities. He tried to explain when we were children but he never could. Colonel, I know you trust Rodney but you have to also trust in his gifts.”

“I do,” John protested.

Jarod replied quietly, “No you don’t. You fear his abilities.”

“I...”

“Rodney’s sensitive to people’s moods,” Jarod reminded the other man, “But he picks up on yours especially. Fearing that fact about him pushes him away, this isolates him.”

“Look, Jarod,” John managed to keep his voice low, “Rodney’s my friend and yes, there are times when his unusual…gifts make me nervous but I trust him.”

They both stopped talking as Ronon and Teyla joined them focussing instead on eating.



John sat during his watch thinking over what Jarod had said to him. He did trust Rodney but there was always this strange feeling John got whenever Rodney used his gifts around him.

But that was to be expected. The things Rodney could do were actually frightening if you sat down and thought about it. The man could pretend to be anything and he was pretending. They were putting their lives in the hands of a man who didn’t have the experience he claimed.

“Are you alright?” Teyla asked softly moving to sit at his side.

“Fine,” John replied with a shrug, “Shouldn’t you be sleeping?”

“It is my watch in less than an hour,” she gave him a smile, “Now, what is troubling you?”

“Rodney.”

“Of course,” she smiled, “Who you usually worry about.”

John frowned, “What do you mean?”

“You worry a great deal about Rodney,” Teyla reminded him, “He is your friend, in fact you are like brothers.”

“I wouldn’t say…”

“You squabble like siblings,” she cut him off as he protested, “Yet if anyone else attacks, you instantly spin to the others defence. That is family.”

“You know what that makes you doesn’t it?” he asked.

Looking at the wicked gleam in his eyes Teyla frowned, “I would rather not. I believe I shall nap until my watch.”

With a smile she left him to his musings.

*********************************************

“Rodney,” a gentle voice pulled him back into consciousness from the comfortable black of sleep.

He jerked up and found Laura looking down on him, “What?”

“You didn’t look very comfortable the way you were sleeping,” Laura gave him a smile, handing him a mug of coffee.

“Thanks,” he sighed rubbing his eyes, “Has there been any change?”

“Not yet,” she replied softly, “Rodney, you need to get out of here and get some proper sleep.”

“No,” Rodney snapped, “I’m not leaving her.”

“Rodney…”

“I left her alone and Lyle almost killed her,” he snapped at Laura making her step back slightly, “I won’t…I can’t…”

“Rodney,” Laura said, keeping her voice as gentle as she could, “He’s gone. There’s no way he can get back to Atlantis and it’s more than likely we’ll never find him.”

“Find him,” Rodney’s eyes were wide and he slammed the mug onto the cupboard beside him darting out of the room.

“Rodney?” Carson called as he ran past him followed by Laura, “What’s going on?” he called to the Lieutenant.

“I don’t know,” she replied pausing for a second, “You watch her I’ll follow him.”

Carson nodded watching Laura as she started to run after Rodney.

“What now?” Carson wondered heading in to sit with Jeannie.



Emily was shocked when Rodney appeared in her office.

“I need you to do something for me,” he started without any sort of pleasantries, “I need you to stay with Jeannie. I don’t care what else is happening I need to know someone is with her.”

“Rodney?”

“Please, Emily,” he grabbed her hand desperation in his eyes, “Please do this for me.”

“Of course,” she breathed, finding him hugging her tightly, “Its okay, Rodney. I promise.”

She was even more shocked as he kissed her forehead.

“Thanks, Emily. Look after them for me,” he whispered before disappearing.

Emily stood a little shell-shocked jumping as a woman appeared her long red gold hair flying in her face.

“Where’d he go?” the woman demanded.

“Who are you?” Emily asked.

“Laura Cadman,” she introduced herself, “Rodney came this way. Where did he go?”

“I think he might have been heading towards the Jumper Bays,” Emily replied still confused.

“Thanks,” Laura replied with a nod before heading away.

“This place just gets stranger,” Emily sighed, switching off her computer and heading up to the infirmary to keep her promise.



“Rodney, what the hell are you doing?” Laura yelled finding him inside one of the Jumpers.

“Going after Lyle,” he told her without looking up from the controls.

“What?” she asked before waving it away, “Rodney, you need to stop this. You need to go back to the infirmary and wait until Colonel Sheppard gets back.”

“Rodney!” she gave a quick cry of shock as he picked her up and moved her out of his way. Annoyed she moved back in front of him.

He stared at her, his eyes darker than she’d ever seen, “Get out of my way or I will move you.”

Laura folded her arms across her chest, “I’m not letting you do something this stupid.”

Rodney growled grabbing her arm he spun her pressing his fingers against a pressure point in her neck holding her as she fell unconscious against him. Rodney gently lifted her into his arms and carried her outside the Jumper before placing her on the bench in the one next to it.

“Sorry,” he murmured to her pushing a few stray hairs out of her face.

With a sigh Rodney headed back into the other Jumper, he closed his eyes and taking a deep breath he let his mind loose focussing on Lyle, focussing on the bastard who had tried to take away his family.

His fingers danced across the controls without thought, ignoring the calls from Elizabeth he headed out to find and kill Lyle.
Chapter 11 by LE McMurray
Author's Notes:
Cadman wasn't originally going to be in this but after I got stuck she managed to get me out of the writers block that was plaguing this story.
Carson looked up as Emily entered the room. She moved to his side and gently kissed him.

“How is she?” Emily asked drawing up a seat beside him.

“Nothing’s changed,” Carson told her, “What are you doing here?”

“Rodney came and asked me to stay with her,” Emily explained looking confused, “And then a Laura Cadman came running after him demanding to know where he went.”

“You’ve met Laura then,” Carson smiled slightly amused.

“What am I missing?” Emily demanded suspiciously.

“Not much,” Carson told her innocently.

Emily crossed her arms, “Start talking or face the consequences.”

Carson quickly explained Laura’s interactions with both himself and Rodney finding her staring at him.

“So she’s your ex-girlfriend?” Emily asked her lips pursed.

Carson pulled her to him and gave her a quick kiss, “You sent me the Dear John remember, Em?”

She laughed at him taking his hand, “Yeah.”



Elizabeth swore as she was ignored by whoever was piloting the Jumper. Whoever was in there had to know how to override the system they’d set up after Ford had escaped from Atlantis so that no one would ever be able to leave the city without permission.

“It is Rodney,” Zelenka told her with a sigh before she could ask; “I recognise the override he used.”

“What the hell is he doing?” Elizabeth demanded angrily.

“I recognise his codes but cannot read his mind,” Zelenka reminded her.

“Normally a good thing,” Elizabeth noted, “When’s John’s team due back?”

“In under an hour,” Zelenka replied.

Elizabeth frowned, “Alright. I want to speak to him the moment he gets back. See if you can find any clue to where he was going.”

“Yes, Dr Weir,” Zelenka nodded, he waited until the leader of the expedition had left the room before he left the control room and headed to the infirmary.

“Carson,” he called, entering the small room Jeannie lay where the doctor sat with Emily.

“What’s wrong, Radek?” Carson asked worried at the other man’s entrance.

“Rodney has taken one of the Jumpers,” Zelenka explained, “I have a feeling he has gone after Lyle.”

“What?” Emily gasped.

Carson frowned, “Do you know if he was alone?”

“Alone?” Zelenka asked confused, “As far as I know. Why?”

“Cause Laura Cadman went after him,” Carson frowned, “Emily…”

“I’ll stay with her,” Emily told them, “Go.”



“Son of a bitch,” Laura groaned as consciousness returned.

“Well there’s no permanent damage,” Carson’s amused voice made her open her eyes, “How do you feel, Laura?”

“I’m going to kill him,” she snapped rubbing her neck, “Rodney, he’s gone right?”

“Did you see where he went?” Zelenka asked, making her turn to where he crouched.

Laura shook her head, “I don’t know. He was going over maps and things.”

Carson frowned, “Alright. Come on I want to check you out.”

Slowly she sat up grimacing at the pain filtering through her neck and head. The two men gripped her arms helping her stand.

“I’m going to kill him,” she said again as they started towards the infirmary.

“For that pleasure, Lieutenant,” Zelenka said with a grimace, “You will have to get in line.”

*********************************************

“What the hell happened?” John demanded as he and Jarod arrived in the infirmary joining Carson, Zelenka, Emily and Parker who had arrived just before them, “Elizabeth is raging.”

He had been grabbed the moment he’d exited the Stargate to be told about his friend’s disappearing act. John had instantly promised he’d find a way to find Rodney. Now all he had to do was find it.

“Rodney was talking with Laura for a few moments then he ran out,” Carson started to explain.

“Cadman’s back?” John asked, “Oh that’s just made things so much less complicated,” he rolled his eyes, “Did he give any clues where he was going?”

“Not to us,” Carson replied, “He may have told Laura something.”

“I doubt it,” Jarod noted, “He’ll be going after Lyle and the only way he can find him is…

“By using his empathic abilities,” Zelenka sighed, “Is that not dangerous?”

“After Jeannie’s cure the last time I doubt it,” Parker told him.

John grimaced; if Rodney was relying on his abilities then they had no way to find him unless…he turned to Jarod, “Is there any way you can try to find him?”

Jarod shook his head, “I’ve told you before Colonel I don’t have those abilities,” he turned to the woman beside him, “Parker, what about your…”

“My inner sense doesn’t work that way,” she cut him off, “its possible Jeannie could find him if she was awake. They are brother and sister; it’s possible some of his gifts are latent within her but…”

“Jeannie is still in a coma,” Zelenka reminded them; “Unless she awakens soon then I doubt that is an option.”

“Ah,” Carson spoke up slightly nervously, “I have an idea.”

The others turned to him quickly and John frowned, “Why do I get the feeling I’m not going to like this?”

“Lieutenant Cadman was trapped within Rodney’s body for a few days,” Carson started seeing John and Zelenka frown as the others eyes widened in amazement, “When she was returned to her own body I noticed a few of Rodney’s traits in her over the first few days after.”

“Like?” Zelenka asked.

“The hand gestures,” Carson replied, “And a few other things. Could it be possible some part of his…gifts have been transferred to her?”

Jarod and Zelenka looked at each other thoughtfully both deep in thought as the others waited.

“It sounds possible,” Zelenka mused, “But how would we get the information and without her knowing?”

Jarod clicked his fingers and smiled, “Hypnosis.”

“What?” John asked confused.

“Anything buried within her mind could be found using hypnosis,” Jarod explained, “And we can make sure she doesn’t remember.”

“Don’t tell me,” Parker turned to him her arms crossed, “You were once a hypnotherapist.”

“Nightclub act. It was fun,” Jarod grinned at her before turning back to the others, “I can do this.”

John let out a sigh, “Okay. Jarod, Parker you two will come with me after Rodney. We’ll take Cadman and hopefully follow him.”



“Sir, what exactly are we doing?” Laura asked as she followed John towards the Jumper Bay.

“Going after Rodney,” John replied shortly.

“How?” she demanded before adding, “Sir.”

John stopped walking and turned to her, “You said you saw the screen when you were in the Jumper right?”

Laura nodded not sure where he was going with this.

“What Jarod is going to do is regress your mind so that you can focus on what you saw for those few seconds and tell us what was on that which should tell us where he went,” John explained.

Laura stared at him her mouth open.

“Problem, Cadman?” John asked blandly.

“I…eh…I am not too sure about being hypnotised, sir,” she told him, “I don’t like the idea of not having control.”

John’s patience snapped, “This is an order, Lieutenant. Not to mention if you ever want to see Rodney again you will do this because it’s our only chance to find him.”

“Yes, sir,” Laura nodded, continuing to follow after her commanding officer.



Jarod sat in the Jumper going over in his mind how to possibly discover whether the young woman could find Rodney. He wondered if she could tell them before he started to muse on whether it would be due to her having part of Rodney’s abilities or a connection to Rodney himself.

“Are you alright?” Parker asked, taking a seat beside him.

Jarod gave her a slight smile, “Just thinking,” he replied, “You do know if we find Rodney it’s very possible we’ll find Lyle also.”

Parker showed him her gun already loaded, “I’m prepared.”

Jarod’s dark eyes focussed on her tightly, “I know you better than that Parker. I know what killing him would do to you.”

“Jarod…”

“He’s your brother, Parker,” he reminded her, “No matter what.”

“Rodney is more my brother than Lyle,” she whispered, her voice weary, “And if I have to choose then I will choose Rodney.”

Jarod gently brushed her hair back from her face, “I will do everything in my power to make sure you don’t have to.”

Parker kissed him, “You are a good man, Jarod. It amazes me how after all the years you spent in the Centre they didn’t steal that from you.”

“Despite what you try to show the world,” Jarod murmured to her, “They didn’t steal it from you either.”

Parker let out a soft laugh moving away from him as John appeared Laura not far behind him.



Laura Cadman sat in a deep trance in the back of the Jumper as John started the Jumper readying it to head after Rodney.

“Laura,” Jarod said softly, “Where is Rodney?”

“I don’t know,” she replied, her voice soft and bland.

Jarod turned to Parker, “You’re better at getting Rodney to do this than I ever was. You do it.”

Parker nodded, “Alright.”

“Laura,” Jarod turned back to the woman, “I want you to listen to Parker. Hear her voice and trust in her.”

He nodded to Parker who took a deep breath.

“Laura,” Parker’s voice became smooth and rich, the way it always did when talking to Rodney when he did this, “I want you to focus on Rodney. Think of him and only him.”

A small smile touched Laura’s lips, “Alright.”

“Can you feel him?” Parker asked.

“Yes,” Laura’s voice was soft and breathless.

“Tell me what you feel?” Parker continued, waving away John’s signal to speed it up.

“He’s afraid,” Laura breathed, “He’s afraid because I’m trapped within him and I don’t know why. He still has a body; I don’t know what he has to fear.”

“Move past that,” Parker ordered gently, “Come closer to now.”

Laura nodded, “He’s still afraid. I’m fading and he’s trying to hold onto me but he’s afraid I’ll slip. He cares more than he shows.”

“Parker, can you hurry this up?” John snapped.

Parker glared at him, “This isn’t an exact science you know. I’m working on it.”

“Ask if she can feel him now,” John told her.

Parker glared at him, “I don’t think it works that way. Let me go through the timeline.”

John let out a snort of disdain but became silent once more turning back to the screen before him making pre-flight checks.

“Laura,” Parker returned her attention to the woman sitting there rolling her eyes a Jarod who smiled softly, “Move past that. You’re back in your own body can you feel him now?”

Laura smiled amused, “I unnerve him. Its fun but there’s more when I’m with him.”

“Good,” Parker nodded to Jarod to tell John to get ready, “You need to find him. Rodney needs us but you have to find him where did he go?”

“I don’t know,” Laura told her.

“Where did he go?” Parker said again, slightly more forcefully.

“I don’t know,” Laura cried upset.

“You know,” Parker snapped, “Rodney will die without your help. Where is he?”

Laura moved suddenly and punched in the Gate address, the ship started to move and Jarod caught her before she fell.

“Alright kids,” John cried from the pilot’s seat, “Here we go.”

*********************************************

Carson sighed in relief as the final member of Lorne’s team left the infirmary to give their report. He headed back to Jeannie’s room finding Emily sitting with a book in her hands reading to her friend. Leaning against the wall he listened to her entranced by her voice smiling as he listened to the short story Emily was reciting.

“Stop hovering,” Emily looked up at him smiling, “If you feel the need to do something go get me something to eat.”

“Yes, dear,” he replied with a cheeky grin, laughing as he was pelted by a wad of paper. Leaving to get them both lunch he could hear Emily start the next story.

Zelenka had reported that the Jumper had just left meaning hopefully Rodney would be back very soon. Carson frowned as he wondered how John had managed to not take Teyla or Ronon along with him on this trip but then John Sheppard did have a way about him .

“Carson,” Zelenka greeted him just outside the mess, “How is Jeannie?”

“The same,” Carson replied, wishing for once he could report something different, something much better, “I just hope they get Rodney back before she wakes up though.”

Zelenka rolled his eyes, “I just hope they bring him back soon. Dr Weir is not in a good mood at all. Could you find something needing fixed in infirmary soon?”

“I’ll try,” Carson promised, “But if you’re having lunch come join me and Emily. Give yourself a break.”

“And it means I can carry your food for you,” Zelenka noted nodding to Carson’s injured arm.

Carson gave him an innocent look, “I don’t know what you mean.”



Emily placed her book down thinking back to the message they’d received from Earth. She hadn’t ever expected freedom from the Centre, as much as she wished it she thought they’d always be after them.

Now though she knew that once the Daedalus arrived they could return to Earth and a future they’d never had before. She couldn’t help but smile as she thought of Jarod finally getting to be with their mother. He was so sweet sometimes and Emily knew her mother would lavish all the love and attention on him that she hadn’t been able to over the years he’d been missing.

“You know you’re going to have to wake up soon, Jeannie,” Emily turned to her sleeping friend, “I need you here to help me stay sane around this lot. I mean as much as I love Carson he’s part of this insanity, we’re the sane ones.”

She took a deep breath as tears spring to her eyes, “You have to wake up. Rodney’s losing himself to guilt and grief. As much as he pretends he has no feelings he feels everything.”

Emily sighed and started to pace, “You can’t give up,” she cried at the still form on the bed, “We’re a family, Jeannie. Rodney’s my brother and Jarod’s yours, we’re a family and I refuse to let you forget that. So…” she ran her hand through her hair trying to control herself, “Please wake up, Jeannie, please.”



Carson sat working on his laptop as Emily continued to read to Jeannie. Zelenka had joined them for lunch and the three of them talked quietly during it wondering if the other three had found Rodney before Zelenka had returned to his own work.

“Am I intruding?” Elizabeth asked softly from the doorway.

Carson closed down his laptop, “Of course not, Elizabeth.”

Elizabeth pulled the spare seat over to the bed, “How is she?”

“Sleeping,” Carson replied, “We’ve done all we can for her. Jeannie needs to come back on her own.”

Elizabeth nodded sighing.

They sat in silence for several minutes before they all turned as Jeannie moaned softly. Carson was on his feet instantly a smile touching his lips as Jeannie’s eyes fluttered open.

“It’s alright,” he soothed as the blue orbs darted over his face fearfully, “You’re safe dear.”

“Where…” Jeannie rasped gasping slightly, “Where am I?”

“You’re in the infirmary,” Carson assured her, “You’re safe.”

“What?” the woman frowned at her, “Infirmary? What are you talking about?”

Carson glanced at Emily who was looking worried.

“Jeannie,” Carson turned back to the woman, “Do you know who I am?”

Jeannie shook her head glancing at all three of them. Carson took the glass of water that was sitting on the cabinet and placed the straw at her lips.

“Drink,” Carson told her softly.

Jeannie did as she was told waiting until Carson took the water away from her, “Who are you?”

“Dr Carson Beckett,” he introduced himself as he helped her sit up, “This is Emily and Dr Elizabeth Weir.”

Jeannie glanced at each of them in turn before turning back to Carson, “Where am I?”

“This is Atlantis,” he told her softly, “I know you have questions but it’d be best if you just rested for now.”

“Your brother will be here soon,” Elizabeth told her gently.

Jeannie’s eyes snapped onto the other woman sharply, “What?”

“Rodney,” Elizabeth clarified, “He should be back soon.”

“What the hell are you talking about,” Jeannie demanded angrily, tears filling her eyes, “My brother died when he was five years old.”

Elizabeth stared at her as Carson and Emily exchanged horrified glances.

“Oh bloody hell.”
Chapter 12 by LE McMurray
Laura Cadman had no idea what was happening. One minute she was in Atlantis and the next thing she knew she was sitting in the back of the Jumper watching Colonel Sheppard skim the clouds.

She’d been told she’d seen the symbols of the planet Rodney had gated to but there was something about this that confused her. She remained silent throughout it all, she was worried about Rodney and it was something she didn’t want to be. Too much had been thrown up during her recent visit home that she couldn’t think about, that made her stomach churn and her heart pound with trepidation.

“I’m detecting the other Jumper,” Sheppard spoke up, “Lieutenant, grab a weapon and try not to shoot Rodney. Elizabeth will be disappointed if she doesn’t get to annihilate him for this stunt herself.”

“Yes ,sir,” Laura replied, fixing the holster to her leg before taking the P90 Dr Starr was holding for her, “Can I hurt him a little?”

Her commanding officer glanced round and grinned at her, “Only once we’re back in Atlantis.”



John set the Jumper down beside the other one. He glanced back to where Parker and Jarod stood with Cadman; he hoped they could do this without Cadman stumbling across the truth because if she found out it would cause them even more problems than they already had.

“Parker, Jarod you two head towards the trees,” John ordered, “Cadman and I will head towards the caves. Keep in touch.”

Parker nodded and she motioned Jarod to follow her leaving John with Cadman.

“Lieutenant,” John ordered her to move. Together they moved slowly towards the caves.

John was desperately hoping that Rodney wasn't going to be catatonic when they found him. He’d seen his friend in that state more than enough and since Lyle wasn’t a friend it could be worse.

“Sir,” Cadman whispered, “I can see someone moving over there.”

John motioned her forward his eyes searching for danger or his friend. The young woman with him was disturbed by how she’d got here, he knew that but it had been the only way.

John spun hearing a noise and saw Lyle standing his gun aimed directly at Cadman’s head. The Centre operative smiled slowly at John as he grabbed Cadman round her neck while he pressed the gun tighter against the strawberry blonde hair making her wince. As he was about to squeeze the trigger Rodney appeared as if from nowhere tackling Cadman and pulling her down into the narrow valley as John dived away before Lyle could fire. They’d found Rodney now they had to get out of here alive.



Laura gave a cry as she slammed into the ground the air rushing from her lungs before another body landed on her. Looking up she was shocked to see Rodney’s blue eyes staring down at her.

“Are you okay?” he asked, scrambling a little as he moved off her.

Laura nodded before punching his shoulder unable to talk as she tried to get her breath back.

“Ow,” Rodney grimaced at her, “What was that for?”

“Son…of…a…bitch,” she forced out in between short gasps of breath before she grabbed him round his neck and pulled him to her hugging him as hard as she could. Laura felt Rodney’s arms slide around her for a second before he pulled back. His eyes caught hers and he stared at her intently, his eyes becoming an even deeper blue than she’d ever seen.

Oh God he knows, flashed though her mind.

“Rodney,” a voice drawled, pulling his attention away from her and to the man who’d pressed the gun to her head who stood not far from them, “Sorry to interrupt your little…reunion.”

“Lyle,” the growl that escaped Rodney’s lips was unlike anything Laura had ever heard come from him.

“How is dear Jeannie?” Lyle laughed his gun aimed at Rodney who glared at the other man.

“She’s going to be fine,” Rodney spat at him.

“Shame,” Lyle replied his eyes moving to Laura, “Your friend will not have the same pleasure.”

Rodney continued to glare at Lyle as he towered about him.

“Don’t even think about it Colonel,” Lyle said, pulling out a second weapon and aiming at Sheppard as he appeared before smiling, “Now isn’t this fun?”



Rodney glared at the Centre operative wishing he knew what to do. In his half crouch he knew he would protect Laura if Lyle fired but there was no way he could move. Jarod and Parker were nearby, he knew this but he couldn’t focus on them just now considering what was happening.

The barrel of the gun pressed to his forehead and Rodney knew he had no way out.

“Just let them get out of this,” he whispered the small prayer, jumping as he heard the gun fire.

It took him a second to realise he hadn’t been shot and Rodney glanced up to see Lyle drop the guns as a blood stain spread across his shirt before he fell to the ground revealing Parker standing her gun aimed.

“It’s over,” she whispered.

Rodney moved and caught her as Jarod joined them.

“It’s okay,” Rodney soothed, glancing up to see John and Laura standing over Lyle’s body.

Jarod took her from Rodney who moved slowly to the other two.

“I’ll fly Parker and Jarod back to Atlantis,” Rodney told John, “You take Cadman and the body.”

“Rodney,” John started stopping as the Pretender glared at him.

“You can’t help,” Rodney replied darkly.

John nodded before turning to Laura who was staring at Rodney in complete confusion.

“Lieutenant,” he ordered, “Get back to the Jumper,” she opened her mouth to protest but John cut her off, “That’s an order.”

“Yes, sir,” she nodded softly, leaving them.

Rodney watched her leave before turning to John once he was sure she was far enough away.

“Thanks for coming after me,” Rodney told his friend.

“Don’t thank me,” John snapped, “Elizabeth is after your ass and I don’t have any idea how any of us are going to get out of this.”

“You don’t have to get out of anything, John,” Rodney replied coldly, “This was my decision and my answer’s the same as it is no matter who I am. I came after the bastard who tried to kill my baby sister.”

*********************************************

Elizabeth stood in the Jumper bay her arms folded as she waited for Rodney to exit the ship. John reached her side but seeing the expression on her face wisely chose not to say anything to her. Instead he motioned forward the medic standing there directing them to the body.

Finally the second Jumper opened and Rodney walked out first, he stopped in front of Elizabeth who continued to stare at him making Rodney squirm a little after a while.

“Jeannie’s awake,” she said finally.

Rodney gasped in relief his eyes wide he started towards the infirmary as Elizabeth stepped out of his way and motioned him forward.

“Rodney.”

He stopped turning back as she called his name.

“Do you want to tell me why she said you died when you were five?” Elizabeth asked coldly.

He stared at her before he spun and started towards the infirmary again.

“How is she?” John asked Elizabeth softly as she continued to stare at where Rodney had gone.

Elizabeth turned to him, “According to Carson Jeannie is going to be fine. He believes that this amnesia is only temporary.”

“Unusual amnesia,” John noted, trying to gauge what was going on in Elizabeth’s mind.

Elizabeth turned to him, “I expect a full report on what happened on that planet, Colonel,”

With that she left him standing.



“Carson,” Rodney yelled, entering the infirmary at lightening speed, “Carson. Where the hell are you?”

The doctor appeared from Jeannie’s room and frowned at his friend, “I’m here. Now stop yelling and disturbing my infirmary.”

“Carson,” Rodney growled angrily.

“She’s fine,” Carson replied moving Rodney to a seat, “However we have a problem.”

“Elizabeth said,” Rodney winced, “What did you tell her?”

“That this was a type of amnesia brought on by the blow to her head,” Carson replied evenly, “Rodney, I’ve explained everything to Jeannie about what’s happening but she doesn’t remember meeting you so don’t be surprised if she’s overwhelmed by everything.”

Rodney nodded rubbing his eyes tiredly.

“After you’ve seen her,” Carson frowned, “You need to sleep. So make this visit quick, Rodney.”

Rodney nodded and headed towards the private room where his sister lay.



Jeannie sat trying to get her mind round everything she’d been told by the doctor. Her brother being alive was the one thing that she was trying to believe at the moment not to mention being in some top secret base. A noise from the door made her look up to find a man standing there staring at her looking tired and extremely scruffy.

“Hi?” she looked at him confused.

A smile broke across his face, “Hi, Jeannie, how’re you feeling?”

“I’d like to know who you are,” she replied with a raised eyebrow.

He gave a sad smile, “Once upon a time…”

“Rodney?” she gasped in amazement.

He nodded softly, “Yeah,” he moved closer to her pulling a seat over to her bedside.

Jeannie looked at him her eyes wandered his face recognising the little boy she’d known all those years ago. Reaching out Jeannie grabbed him and wrapped her arms around his neck hugging him tightly.

“Oh God, Rodney you’re really here,” she cried as he held onto her just as tightly.

After a few minutes Rodney released her and sat back again wiping away a tear, “You need to rest.”

Jeannie smiled at him, “You too, you look like hell.”

Rodney shrugged before leaning over and gently kissing her forehead, “I’m sorry I let this happen.”

“How about we talk about this tomorrow once we’ve both got some sleep?” she whispered.

Rodney nodded squeezing her hand tightly before leaving her alone again. With a smile Jeannie slid down and closed her eyes to sleep.

*********************************************

Zelenka sighed in relief when Rodney appeared in the lab before he started yelling at the Pretender for several minutes.

“You do realise I understand absolutely everything you just said, don’t you?” Rodney asked as he dropped tiredly into a seat, “And I have to agree to the bit about my mother.”

Zelenka laughed and handed him a mug filled with steaming liquid.

“What is it?” Rodney took an experimental sniff.

“Tea, Rodney,” Zelenka replied amused, “You know there are drinks other than coffee.”

A small shy smile appeared on the Pretender’s lips as he took a long drink, “Thanks, Radek.”

Zelenka nodded, “You should not have done that, Rodney. You should have waited for John to return from his mission then you would not be in this mess.”

Rodney sighed, “I guess I wasn't thinking straight. I thought I was losing Jeannie and I…”

“You let your anger take over you,” Zelenka noted, “That is very dangerous thing especially for you, Rodney.”

“I know,” Rodney focussed on the tea he was drinking.

Zelenka sighed, “Go and get some rest, Rodney. Dr Weir wants to talk to you in the morning concerning what you did.”

“I know,” Rodney yawned, “Okay, I’ll see you tomorrow, Radek. Night.”

“Goodnight, Rodney,” Zelenka smiled slightly watching his friend as he staggered out of the room.



“Here,” Jarod handed the glass of water to Parker as she sat on her bed staring into space.

She didn’t say a word as she took it from him, she hadn’t since just after Lyle had collapsed to the ground; her dark eyes were filled with exhaustion as she stared blankly at the wall.

Jarod frowned, worried about her. He hovered nervously in the corner, not wanting to leave her alone but not sure if he was wanted. After she’d drank a little water Parker set the glass down laying back onto her bed curling into a ball.

Unable to leave her like this Jarod moved to lie behind her wrapping her body in his larger one. Parker turned cuddling into him.

“Thank you,” she breathed.

Jarod gently kissed her forehead before pulling the blanket over them lying watching until she fell asleep wishing he could take away the pain she felt from what she’d done.



Laura paced her room the day’s events going through her mind over and over. It didn’t feel right what she’d been told about how they’d found Rodney, she didn’t remember seeing any Gate address at any time so how did she get them to the planet?

Of course this line of thought led her to thinking about Rodney. Most specifically how strangely he was acting. He hadn’t yelled or been his usual acerbic annoying self since she’d arrived which made her suspicious.

“He was worried about his sister,” she said to the room, “But that usually brings out the irritating side of him.”

Laura wanted to smash something but was interrupted by a chime.

“Who the hell is that?” she demanded to the empty room running a hand through her hair before opening the door, “Rodney?”

The weary man standing in doorway bore only a passing resemblance to the irritating egotistical scientist she’d met several months ago.

“Can I come in for a minute?” Rodney asked his voice soft and tired.

“Sure,” Laura stepped back, letting him inside before she leaned against the wall, “What’s up?”

Rodney took a deep breath as he looked at her, “I wanted to say thank you.”

Laura raised an eyebrow in surprise, “Should I be recording this conversation for posterity or possibly blackmail?”

He frowned at her, “Never mind.”

“Rodney,” she caught his arm before he could brush past her, “I was kidding. You do remember that? How we usually talk to one another.”

“Cadman…” he started with a sigh, “Laura, I just wanted to thank you for the help back on the planet and for helping them find me.”

A small smile touched her lips, “Colonel Sheppard gets bored without you around to annoy.”

“Forget it,” Rodney grimaced heading to the door.

“Hey,” she stepped in front of the door, “Look, I’m sorry this just isn’t like you.”

“I’m going to go get some sleep,” he told her, “I’ll see you tomorrow.”

Laura nodded shocked as Rodney leaned forward and brushed a very gentle kiss to her lips. As they parted she stared up to find his eyes deep blue staring into hers.

“Goodnight,” he broke eye contact first and quickly left her alone.

Completely confused Laura went to her bed and collapsed on top of it. She had to do this; she had to do it tomorrow.

*********************************************

Jeannie sat reading the book Dr Beckett had found for her; she was tired but needed to stay awake for a while. She didn’t want to sleep much more anyway.

“Well this is something new,” a man drawled making her look up finding a thin man standing, his black clothes made him seem even slimmer while his spiky hair added to the strange look, “Morning, Jeannie - finally.”

“I take it I’m supposed to know you,” Jeannie rested the book down watching as he dragged a seat to sit at the side of the bed.

“Yep,” he grinned at her making her frown confused.

“Can I at least get a name?” she demanded, “Since you’re obviously going to spend some time here.”

He grinned at her, “Lt Colonel John Sheppard at your service.”

“Ohhhhhkay,” Jeannie chewed her lip for a second, “And you are…”

“A friend,” he leaned back in his chair, “Of your brother.”

“So why are you sitting here, Lt Colonel?” Jeannie asked him, not that she minded he was amusing not to mention very easy on the eyes.

“It’s John and I’m here cause Rodney’s getting his ass chewed out by Weir for his little trip yesterday,” John explained, “So I thought I’d come here and keep you company if you don’t mind?”

She gave a slight shrug, “I don’t mind.”

“Excellent,” he smacked his hands together, “So, anything to eat around here?”

Jeannie laughed and shook her head, “I ate everything the Doctor gave me.”

“Definitely a McKay,” John muttered with a grimace, “And I’ve probably missed the good pastries.”

She stared at him a little confused, thankful when she heard her brother call his friend’s name.

“Hi, Rodney,” Jeannie smiled her brother, he looked much better this morning rested.

He leaned over and gave her a quick hug before turning to his friend, “Hey.”

“Hey, you’re still alive then?” John mused, “What did Elizabeth say?”

Rodney shrugged, “Not much actually. I don’t know if it’s a good thing or not.”

“Not sure about that myself,” John grimaced.

“Can I talk to you alone for a minute?” Rodney asked John before turning to his sister, “It’ll only be a minute.”

“I’ll be fine on my own for about sixty seconds,” Jeannie told him.

Rodney nodded a little nervously before motioning John to come with him, “It’s about Cadman...”



Elizabeth sat at her desk staring at the file in front of her. Caldwell had sent her everything from Lyle’s quarters on the Daedalus; she hadn’t had a chance to go through it until now.

When Jeannie had told them that her brother had died when he was five made her flash back to the last time Starr and Parker had been on Atlantis to what Jones had said as he tried to drag Rodney through the Stargate.

Why are you putting your lives in the hands of this impostor?

Elizabeth stared at the file tapping her fingers on it wondering if she wanted to know what was in there. Wondering if she would lose a friend in the second it took to glance at the papers within.

Taking a deep breath Elizabeth gripped the folders edge and opened the file.
This story archived at http://sg1-heliopolis.com/atlantis/viewstory.php?sid=851