Lost von LE McMurray

[Reviews - 0]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Author's Notes:- Thanks to Stonedtoad for betaing.

This appeared from nowhere during work last Wednesday and I just couldn't get rid of it until it was finished. Hope someone else likes it.

*********************************************

"Hands up everyone who actually understands what McKay is on about?" John demanded as Rodney grimaced at him.

A few hands appeared from some of the scientists sitting around the table making Elizabeth roll her eyes.

"And how many think his idea to go there is actually insane?" John asked with a grin.

"Major, this is an important thing," Rodney said slowly as if explaining to a child, "According to the Ancients database this area of space has spontaneously created wormholes. If we could find the technology which created them we may have a source of power not only to get us back home but to power the city's defences indefinitely."

"Gentlemen," Elizabeth interrupted before it devolved into another squabble, the last one ended up with them arguing over who ate the last power bar on the mission they'd just been on, "Rodney, I agree we need a little more information on this," she saw John starting to smirk but continued before he could say anything, "But I also agree that this is something we can't pass up."

"I'll have more information for you in a few hours," Rodney replied standing up to leave and throwing a smug look at John on his way past.

John rolled his eyes turning his attention to Elizabeth who sighed.

"Would it be possible for you two just once to not act like ten year olds?" she asked with a sigh, "Even for a few hours."

-

Rodney sat in his lab furiously going through the database references to the technology for what he hoped would be their way home. It had been purely by accident that he'd found it while looking for a possible way to repower the ZPM's, the notion that one of the Ancients had managed to create wormholes with no Stargate had completely enveloped his attention.

"So," John asked as he entered the lab, "Why are you suddenly so excited about leaving the wonders of Atlantis?"

Rodney turned to him annoyed, "This could also give us a way to power the shields."

"But that's not why you want the technology," John pulled over a stool and took a seat, "Is it?"

Rodney sighed, "When I was infected by nanite virus I thought I was going to die and for the first time in a long time I thought about my sister. I haven't seen her in over five years John and to be honest I don't want to die without making amends with her."

John gave a small smile, it was very rare you got to see this side of Rodney McKay and he knew he was one of the few people who ever did.

"Alright," John nodded, "Get Weir the information and we'll go check out this little experiment."

-

"Rodney, would it kill you to fly in a straight line?" John demanded as he watched the second jumper on his screen.

"Would it kill you to shut up and let me do this on my own?" came the sarcastic reply, "I'm not flying at the moment anyway, its on autopilot."

In his mind John saw Rodney sticking his tongue out in a childish defiance, it suddenly occurred to him the Elizabeth was right, they did act like ten year olds most of the time but that was part of the fun.

"Just hurry up and take your readings so we can go," John told him sensing Teyla rolling her eyes behind him, "Bedtime is close."

"And you definitely need your beauty sleep," Rodney replied, "Give me ten more minutes; I'm getting some interesting...."

"Rodney you're breaking up," John called as static cut off the scientist, "Say again."

"I said....."

"Major," Ford snapped as the jumper started to shudder.

"What the hell?" John cried, he turned to where Zelenka was checking readings.

"There are considerable energy readings building just beside Jumper two," Zelenka stated worriedly, "Rodney, you need to get away from there."

"One more minute," Rodney replied.

"McKay," John snapped worried by Zelenka's worry, "That's an order."

"I've almost...."

A bright flash of light filled the cockpit as the sound of static filled the air and the jumper tipped throwing them against the bulkhead. John scrambled back into the pilot's seat managing to get them stable before checking that Rodney and his team were alright.

"What the hell?" John muttered as he saw an event horizon in the middle of space just before it shut down.

"Where is Jumper Two?" Zelenka asked.

John started to scan the area feeling his throat constrict as all he could find of Jumper Two and his friend was part of the plating. His hand fell from the console in shock.

"Major," Teyla said softly her hand resting on his shoulder, "We must return to Atlantis."

Numbly he turned the ship and headed back to their base knowing he'd have to report the loss of one jumper, two Lieutenants and their Head Scientist.

*********************************************

Mira could hear Joshu counting loudly and ran to the hiding place she'd discovered earlier that morning, she was one of the best at hiding and often they had to call her that the game was finished.

She skipped through the trees heading to the small cave next to the lake, her plaited blond hair bouncing against her shoulders. She was looking forward to hearing them call for her because no one could find her.

As she neared the cave she smelled something burning and knew she should go to tell someone but she wanted to know what it was. Carefully Mira tiptoed closer to the lake staring at what she saw, after a second she turned and stared to run back to the village, crying, "Dina!!!!"

-

Dina sighed annoyed as she heard Mira scream her name; the little girl had probably caught her hair on a bush again. Dina was the eldest of the children in this part of town, at fifteen she was still not considered an adult by the other adults but she didn't consider herself a child either. This meant she had to stay with the children during the day while she read and waited for her birthday to come so she could be considered a grown-up finally.

"Dina," Mira came running, "Come and see."

Placing her book down Dina pushed the stray bit of flaxen coloured hair out of her eyes and followed the little girl. It would more than likely be another dead frog or hurt bird as usually prompted these calls so she wasn't in much of a hurry to get to the lake but Mira grabbed her arm tugging her to make her go faster.

"Mira, what is..." Dina trailed off as she saw a man laying there obviously injured, she dropped down onto her knees looking at him but made no other move, "Mira, get my mother. Now."

The girl started to run at the order as Dina moved to look around the injured man for any clues as to where he came from.

Several other children arrived having heard Mira's calls.

"Is he dead?" Joshu asked; the little boy was at the moment fascinated by all things dead.

"No," Dina snapped at him, being sharper than she meant. She stood up and frowned at all the children crowding around, "Everyone away now."

They pouted and moaned but not one disobeyed her, Dina was the eldest and the adults took it seriously if she said they'd misbehaved.

"Dina?" she heard her mother call not long after she'd sent Mira for her.

"Mother," the teenager called back, "You may need some help. There is an injured man here."

-

Lucia ran back to the town and grabbed two of the young farmhands from the neighbouring farm, Dina was a smart girl so if she said help was needed it surely was. Mira guided them to where Dina was waiting. Lucia scanned the man noting at least a broken leg and possibly a broken wrist the way it was twisted below him, it was impossible to tell any other injuries from the blood and dirt covering him. She moved further towards the strange wreckage and found two others both burned beyond recognition as well as several strange pieces of equipment.

"Be careful as you lift him," Lucia told the men as she discreetly took several things from the wreckage in case the man needed them, "Dina, take Mira home and then return to the house."

Catching the tone of her mother's voice Dina nodded and took the girl's hand leaving Lucia to follow the two young men as they carried her patient to the small cottage nearby.

"Place him on the bed," Lucia told them before handing each a small bag filled with the rare Halda berry which grew exclusively in these parts on her farm. Both men grinned in thanks, before leaving her.

Lucia made sure she was alone before opening the locked cabinet which held the supplies she would need to tend the poor man's wounds. Gently she checked his broken leg wincing as even unconscious he cried out when she snapped it back into place. Lucia quickly fixed a splint before covering it with a blanket and she turned her attention to his other injuries. His wrist was only badly sprained and unlikely broken as she first thought; it was possible his ribs were broken but she was sure they were only bruised.

She sighed in relief, several minutes after she finished cleaning and dressing his wounds and putting away her things someone knocked on her door.

"Malis," she greeted the stocky town leader as he stood in her doorway, "How can I help you?"

"I was told that you found an injured man," Malis stated his round face redder than normal from his hurry to get here, "Where is he?"

"He is in Dina's room," Lucia told him.

"Why did you bring him here?" Malis demanded harshly, "The Gods decide who lives and who dies."

"True," Lucia replied in the same even tone, "The Gods do decide that however no man should die alone and in the dirt. That is why I brought him here, if he does not live through the night then at least he died with someone at his side and with dignity."

Malis frowned, "I want to see him."

Lucia nodded and motioned him in; she had very little regard for the Town Leader who she found to be short-sighted beyond what was good for him. Lucia stood in the doorway and Malis stared at the injured man.

"I heard his leg was broken," he said accusingly.

"I put it back in place," Lucia informed him, "I do not want my girls wakened in the night by his screams. It is nothing."

Malis looked unconvinced, "And you do not mind if he dies in your daughter's room?"

"We do not know he shall die," Lucia countered, "The Gods are many times mischievous taking ones we think are well whilst leaving ones who appear close to death. In any case I shall allow him peace and dignity if these are his last few hours."

Malis stared at her for a few moments before finally nodding, "I shall expect a report at the Council Meeting next week."

Lucia smiled at him hiding her dislike of the man well, "Of course. You must excuse me; I must feed the baby very soon."

Malis nodded and left her alone.

*********************************************

Rodney's first sensation as he pulled himself out of the blackness was that of pain, a lot of it and he groaned wishing Carson would stick something in his arm making it go away.

"Here," a woman said softly from nearby, "Drink this."

Rodney felt his head being lifted as a cup was placed at his dry lips; he drank down whatever it was unable to taste anything knowing only that it quenched his thirst. After several minutes the pain eased and he slipped back into unconsciousness.

When he started to waken again he heard a baby gurgling near him, he tried to force open his eyes and to sit up but a hand gently kept him lying down as a cool rag was placed on his forehead.

"You need to rest," the same woman told him, "You still have a fever. Just sleep some more."

Rodney tried to fight sleep but couldn't and the blackness came once more.

-

"Mother," a girl called as Rodney opened his eyes to what seemed to be a hut, "He is awake."

Rodney blinked in the light that suddenly filled the room of what he decided would be more of a cottage, "Where am I?"

"You're in the town of Gallant," the woman he heard every time he awoke said coming into his view, "In our home."

She was tall with light brown hair, her face being handsome was the best way he could describe it, her dark eyes filled with concern as she rested her hand on his forehead checking for fever.

"Who are you?" Rodney forced out past his dry throat.

The woman smiled making her angular face soften, "I am Lucia, that is my daughter Dina and the baby is Belin. What's your name?"

"Rodney," Rodney pulled himself so he was sitting wincing at the sharp pain that accompanied the movement.

"Your leg is broken Rodney," Lucia told him as she placed some cushions at his back, "You must be careful."

Rodney closed his eyes trying to remember what had happened, he turned to Lucia sharply, "Was anyone else found with me?"

Lucia dropped her head, "The other two men in your vessel were dead when we found you."

Rodney dropped his head squeezing his eyes shut at the news of his colleague's deaths, "Anyone else? Any other ships?"

Lucia looked confused, "Ships? No there was some wreckage near you, where the others were found but no ships."

Rodney sighed in relief hoping this meant John and the others were safe.

"Drink this," Lucia handed him a cup with some steaming green liquid in it.

Rodney sniffed it and wrinkled his nose, "What is it?"

"It is tea," Lucia replied, "Nothing but tea the same as everyone in the town drinks each day. It should make you feel better. I always do."

"Thanks but no thanks," Rodney handed her back the cup.

Lucia frowned at him, "It is tea but it shall make you feel better."

As she emphasised 'feel better' Rodney got a strange feeling so he took the tea and started to drink. It was bitter but didn't taste that bad and as he drank more the pain in his leg started to alleviate. Lucia took the cup from him once he was finished smiling as his eyes started to droop again.

"Get some more rest," she told him.

-

Rodney spent several days sleeping and drinking the tea when Lucia gave it to him but as time passed his energy returned and soon he was itching to get up.

Lucia never allowed him to push himself too far, her voice never raised louder than her normal speaking voice but he did as she told him.

Lucia smiled as her houseguest rested his leg on the stool after trying out his new crutches.

"How are you feeling?" she asked.

"Much better," Rodney smiled back at her, "This has to be the first night in weeks I've actually been up later than the kids. I'm alive thanks to you."

"No," Lucia cut him off sharply, "The Gods decide who live or die. I only gave you a place to die where you would not be alone."

Rodney looked confused, "Really?"

"If people interfere with this," she told him, "The Council would have them killed in an instant."

"That's preposterous," Rodney stated with disgust, "I'm not the biggest fan of doctors but..." he trailed off at her sharp look.

"Rodney, you are still ill therefore your blasphemy of the Gods must be the result of your fever," Lucia said softly touching his hand, "Around myself I understand but others would not."

Rodney nodded his mind whirling, suddenly realising the planet he was on may not be the best place for an injured man to be.

-

"Here," Dina gave him a cup as he sat on the porch the next day his leg stretched out in front of him, "Mother says you've to drink it all."

"Thanks Dina," Rodney smiled, he'd grown fond of the teenager in the short time he'd known her.

She was a sweet girl very similar in looks to her mother without the confidence Lucia exuded. Dina helped her mother without question with the baby as well as helping care for Rodney.

Rodney McKay didn't like kids, he never had. They got under foot, asked stupid questions and drove him round the twist but Dina he liked. She was a quiet girl who helped without complaint. Rodney noticed she was also a voracious reader, whenever she got a moment from helping in the house and with her younger sister Dina would be buried in a book.

"Can you hold Belin?" Dina asked handing him the baby before he could protest.

"I'm not...I..." he trailed off as the six month old girl was placed in his lap while Dina disappeared.

The baby looked up at him and giggled her brown eyes wide with a smile, Rodney smiled back down at her instantly falling in love with the little girl he held suddenly finding a hole in his soul being patched slightly.

"Thanks," Dina returned with the baby's bottle.

"I'll feed her," Rodney offered not wanting to give up the warm bundle against him; this planet may not be as bad as he thought even as he tried to work out how to leave.