The Definition Of Family von LE McMurray

[Reviews - 1]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Kapitel Bemerkung: Cadman wasn't originally going to be in this but after I got stuck she managed to get me out of the writers block that was plaguing this story.
Carson looked up as Emily entered the room. She moved to his side and gently kissed him.

“How is she?” Emily asked drawing up a seat beside him.

“Nothing’s changed,” Carson told her, “What are you doing here?”

“Rodney came and asked me to stay with her,” Emily explained looking confused, “And then a Laura Cadman came running after him demanding to know where he went.”

“You’ve met Laura then,” Carson smiled slightly amused.

“What am I missing?” Emily demanded suspiciously.

“Not much,” Carson told her innocently.

Emily crossed her arms, “Start talking or face the consequences.”

Carson quickly explained Laura’s interactions with both himself and Rodney finding her staring at him.

“So she’s your ex-girlfriend?” Emily asked her lips pursed.

Carson pulled her to him and gave her a quick kiss, “You sent me the Dear John remember, Em?”

She laughed at him taking his hand, “Yeah.”



Elizabeth swore as she was ignored by whoever was piloting the Jumper. Whoever was in there had to know how to override the system they’d set up after Ford had escaped from Atlantis so that no one would ever be able to leave the city without permission.

“It is Rodney,” Zelenka told her with a sigh before she could ask; “I recognise the override he used.”

“What the hell is he doing?” Elizabeth demanded angrily.

“I recognise his codes but cannot read his mind,” Zelenka reminded her.

“Normally a good thing,” Elizabeth noted, “When’s John’s team due back?”

“In under an hour,” Zelenka replied.

Elizabeth frowned, “Alright. I want to speak to him the moment he gets back. See if you can find any clue to where he was going.”

“Yes, Dr Weir,” Zelenka nodded, he waited until the leader of the expedition had left the room before he left the control room and headed to the infirmary.

“Carson,” he called, entering the small room Jeannie lay where the doctor sat with Emily.

“What’s wrong, Radek?” Carson asked worried at the other man’s entrance.

“Rodney has taken one of the Jumpers,” Zelenka explained, “I have a feeling he has gone after Lyle.”

“What?” Emily gasped.

Carson frowned, “Do you know if he was alone?”

“Alone?” Zelenka asked confused, “As far as I know. Why?”

“Cause Laura Cadman went after him,” Carson frowned, “Emily…”

“I’ll stay with her,” Emily told them, “Go.”



“Son of a bitch,” Laura groaned as consciousness returned.

“Well there’s no permanent damage,” Carson’s amused voice made her open her eyes, “How do you feel, Laura?”

“I’m going to kill him,” she snapped rubbing her neck, “Rodney, he’s gone right?”

“Did you see where he went?” Zelenka asked, making her turn to where he crouched.

Laura shook her head, “I don’t know. He was going over maps and things.”

Carson frowned, “Alright. Come on I want to check you out.”

Slowly she sat up grimacing at the pain filtering through her neck and head. The two men gripped her arms helping her stand.

“I’m going to kill him,” she said again as they started towards the infirmary.

“For that pleasure, Lieutenant,” Zelenka said with a grimace, “You will have to get in line.”

*********************************************

“What the hell happened?” John demanded as he and Jarod arrived in the infirmary joining Carson, Zelenka, Emily and Parker who had arrived just before them, “Elizabeth is raging.”

He had been grabbed the moment he’d exited the Stargate to be told about his friend’s disappearing act. John had instantly promised he’d find a way to find Rodney. Now all he had to do was find it.

“Rodney was talking with Laura for a few moments then he ran out,” Carson started to explain.

“Cadman’s back?” John asked, “Oh that’s just made things so much less complicated,” he rolled his eyes, “Did he give any clues where he was going?”

“Not to us,” Carson replied, “He may have told Laura something.”

“I doubt it,” Jarod noted, “He’ll be going after Lyle and the only way he can find him is…

“By using his empathic abilities,” Zelenka sighed, “Is that not dangerous?”

“After Jeannie’s cure the last time I doubt it,” Parker told him.

John grimaced; if Rodney was relying on his abilities then they had no way to find him unless…he turned to Jarod, “Is there any way you can try to find him?”

Jarod shook his head, “I’ve told you before Colonel I don’t have those abilities,” he turned to the woman beside him, “Parker, what about your…”

“My inner sense doesn’t work that way,” she cut him off, “its possible Jeannie could find him if she was awake. They are brother and sister; it’s possible some of his gifts are latent within her but…”

“Jeannie is still in a coma,” Zelenka reminded them; “Unless she awakens soon then I doubt that is an option.”

“Ah,” Carson spoke up slightly nervously, “I have an idea.”

The others turned to him quickly and John frowned, “Why do I get the feeling I’m not going to like this?”

“Lieutenant Cadman was trapped within Rodney’s body for a few days,” Carson started seeing John and Zelenka frown as the others eyes widened in amazement, “When she was returned to her own body I noticed a few of Rodney’s traits in her over the first few days after.”

“Like?” Zelenka asked.

“The hand gestures,” Carson replied, “And a few other things. Could it be possible some part of his…gifts have been transferred to her?”

Jarod and Zelenka looked at each other thoughtfully both deep in thought as the others waited.

“It sounds possible,” Zelenka mused, “But how would we get the information and without her knowing?”

Jarod clicked his fingers and smiled, “Hypnosis.”

“What?” John asked confused.

“Anything buried within her mind could be found using hypnosis,” Jarod explained, “And we can make sure she doesn’t remember.”

“Don’t tell me,” Parker turned to him her arms crossed, “You were once a hypnotherapist.”

“Nightclub act. It was fun,” Jarod grinned at her before turning back to the others, “I can do this.”

John let out a sigh, “Okay. Jarod, Parker you two will come with me after Rodney. We’ll take Cadman and hopefully follow him.”



“Sir, what exactly are we doing?” Laura asked as she followed John towards the Jumper Bay.

“Going after Rodney,” John replied shortly.

“How?” she demanded before adding, “Sir.”

John stopped walking and turned to her, “You said you saw the screen when you were in the Jumper right?”

Laura nodded not sure where he was going with this.

“What Jarod is going to do is regress your mind so that you can focus on what you saw for those few seconds and tell us what was on that which should tell us where he went,” John explained.

Laura stared at him her mouth open.

“Problem, Cadman?” John asked blandly.

“I…eh…I am not too sure about being hypnotised, sir,” she told him, “I don’t like the idea of not having control.”

John’s patience snapped, “This is an order, Lieutenant. Not to mention if you ever want to see Rodney again you will do this because it’s our only chance to find him.”

“Yes, sir,” Laura nodded, continuing to follow after her commanding officer.



Jarod sat in the Jumper going over in his mind how to possibly discover whether the young woman could find Rodney. He wondered if she could tell them before he started to muse on whether it would be due to her having part of Rodney’s abilities or a connection to Rodney himself.

“Are you alright?” Parker asked, taking a seat beside him.

Jarod gave her a slight smile, “Just thinking,” he replied, “You do know if we find Rodney it’s very possible we’ll find Lyle also.”

Parker showed him her gun already loaded, “I’m prepared.”

Jarod’s dark eyes focussed on her tightly, “I know you better than that Parker. I know what killing him would do to you.”

“Jarod…”

“He’s your brother, Parker,” he reminded her, “No matter what.”

“Rodney is more my brother than Lyle,” she whispered, her voice weary, “And if I have to choose then I will choose Rodney.”

Jarod gently brushed her hair back from her face, “I will do everything in my power to make sure you don’t have to.”

Parker kissed him, “You are a good man, Jarod. It amazes me how after all the years you spent in the Centre they didn’t steal that from you.”

“Despite what you try to show the world,” Jarod murmured to her, “They didn’t steal it from you either.”

Parker let out a soft laugh moving away from him as John appeared Laura not far behind him.



Laura Cadman sat in a deep trance in the back of the Jumper as John started the Jumper readying it to head after Rodney.

“Laura,” Jarod said softly, “Where is Rodney?”

“I don’t know,” she replied, her voice soft and bland.

Jarod turned to Parker, “You’re better at getting Rodney to do this than I ever was. You do it.”

Parker nodded, “Alright.”

“Laura,” Jarod turned back to the woman, “I want you to listen to Parker. Hear her voice and trust in her.”

He nodded to Parker who took a deep breath.

“Laura,” Parker’s voice became smooth and rich, the way it always did when talking to Rodney when he did this, “I want you to focus on Rodney. Think of him and only him.”

A small smile touched Laura’s lips, “Alright.”

“Can you feel him?” Parker asked.

“Yes,” Laura’s voice was soft and breathless.

“Tell me what you feel?” Parker continued, waving away John’s signal to speed it up.

“He’s afraid,” Laura breathed, “He’s afraid because I’m trapped within him and I don’t know why. He still has a body; I don’t know what he has to fear.”

“Move past that,” Parker ordered gently, “Come closer to now.”

Laura nodded, “He’s still afraid. I’m fading and he’s trying to hold onto me but he’s afraid I’ll slip. He cares more than he shows.”

“Parker, can you hurry this up?” John snapped.

Parker glared at him, “This isn’t an exact science you know. I’m working on it.”

“Ask if she can feel him now,” John told her.

Parker glared at him, “I don’t think it works that way. Let me go through the timeline.”

John let out a snort of disdain but became silent once more turning back to the screen before him making pre-flight checks.

“Laura,” Parker returned her attention to the woman sitting there rolling her eyes a Jarod who smiled softly, “Move past that. You’re back in your own body can you feel him now?”

Laura smiled amused, “I unnerve him. Its fun but there’s more when I’m with him.”

“Good,” Parker nodded to Jarod to tell John to get ready, “You need to find him. Rodney needs us but you have to find him where did he go?”

“I don’t know,” Laura told her.

“Where did he go?” Parker said again, slightly more forcefully.

“I don’t know,” Laura cried upset.

“You know,” Parker snapped, “Rodney will die without your help. Where is he?”

Laura moved suddenly and punched in the Gate address, the ship started to move and Jarod caught her before she fell.

“Alright kids,” John cried from the pilot’s seat, “Here we go.”

*********************************************

Carson sighed in relief as the final member of Lorne’s team left the infirmary to give their report. He headed back to Jeannie’s room finding Emily sitting with a book in her hands reading to her friend. Leaning against the wall he listened to her entranced by her voice smiling as he listened to the short story Emily was reciting.

“Stop hovering,” Emily looked up at him smiling, “If you feel the need to do something go get me something to eat.”

“Yes, dear,” he replied with a cheeky grin, laughing as he was pelted by a wad of paper. Leaving to get them both lunch he could hear Emily start the next story.

Zelenka had reported that the Jumper had just left meaning hopefully Rodney would be back very soon. Carson frowned as he wondered how John had managed to not take Teyla or Ronon along with him on this trip but then John Sheppard did have a way about him .

“Carson,” Zelenka greeted him just outside the mess, “How is Jeannie?”

“The same,” Carson replied, wishing for once he could report something different, something much better, “I just hope they get Rodney back before she wakes up though.”

Zelenka rolled his eyes, “I just hope they bring him back soon. Dr Weir is not in a good mood at all. Could you find something needing fixed in infirmary soon?”

“I’ll try,” Carson promised, “But if you’re having lunch come join me and Emily. Give yourself a break.”

“And it means I can carry your food for you,” Zelenka noted nodding to Carson’s injured arm.

Carson gave him an innocent look, “I don’t know what you mean.”



Emily placed her book down thinking back to the message they’d received from Earth. She hadn’t ever expected freedom from the Centre, as much as she wished it she thought they’d always be after them.

Now though she knew that once the Daedalus arrived they could return to Earth and a future they’d never had before. She couldn’t help but smile as she thought of Jarod finally getting to be with their mother. He was so sweet sometimes and Emily knew her mother would lavish all the love and attention on him that she hadn’t been able to over the years he’d been missing.

“You know you’re going to have to wake up soon, Jeannie,” Emily turned to her sleeping friend, “I need you here to help me stay sane around this lot. I mean as much as I love Carson he’s part of this insanity, we’re the sane ones.”

She took a deep breath as tears spring to her eyes, “You have to wake up. Rodney’s losing himself to guilt and grief. As much as he pretends he has no feelings he feels everything.”

Emily sighed and started to pace, “You can’t give up,” she cried at the still form on the bed, “We’re a family, Jeannie. Rodney’s my brother and Jarod’s yours, we’re a family and I refuse to let you forget that. So…” she ran her hand through her hair trying to control herself, “Please wake up, Jeannie, please.”



Carson sat working on his laptop as Emily continued to read to Jeannie. Zelenka had joined them for lunch and the three of them talked quietly during it wondering if the other three had found Rodney before Zelenka had returned to his own work.

“Am I intruding?” Elizabeth asked softly from the doorway.

Carson closed down his laptop, “Of course not, Elizabeth.”

Elizabeth pulled the spare seat over to the bed, “How is she?”

“Sleeping,” Carson replied, “We’ve done all we can for her. Jeannie needs to come back on her own.”

Elizabeth nodded sighing.

They sat in silence for several minutes before they all turned as Jeannie moaned softly. Carson was on his feet instantly a smile touching his lips as Jeannie’s eyes fluttered open.

“It’s alright,” he soothed as the blue orbs darted over his face fearfully, “You’re safe dear.”

“Where…” Jeannie rasped gasping slightly, “Where am I?”

“You’re in the infirmary,” Carson assured her, “You’re safe.”

“What?” the woman frowned at her, “Infirmary? What are you talking about?”

Carson glanced at Emily who was looking worried.

“Jeannie,” Carson turned back to the woman, “Do you know who I am?”

Jeannie shook her head glancing at all three of them. Carson took the glass of water that was sitting on the cabinet and placed the straw at her lips.

“Drink,” Carson told her softly.

Jeannie did as she was told waiting until Carson took the water away from her, “Who are you?”

“Dr Carson Beckett,” he introduced himself as he helped her sit up, “This is Emily and Dr Elizabeth Weir.”

Jeannie glanced at each of them in turn before turning back to Carson, “Where am I?”

“This is Atlantis,” he told her softly, “I know you have questions but it’d be best if you just rested for now.”

“Your brother will be here soon,” Elizabeth told her gently.

Jeannie’s eyes snapped onto the other woman sharply, “What?”

“Rodney,” Elizabeth clarified, “He should be back soon.”

“What the hell are you talking about,” Jeannie demanded angrily, tears filling her eyes, “My brother died when he was five years old.”

Elizabeth stared at her as Carson and Emily exchanged horrified glances.

“Oh bloody hell.”