The Definition Of Family von LE McMurray

[Reviews - 1]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
“Danger,” Rodney gasped, waking up suddenly wincing at the pain that shot through his body.

“It’s okay,” John appeared above him, “Take a few breaths.”

“John?” Rodney looked at him confused, “I…”

“You jumped in to save a little girl,” John explained, “We got her but you were dragged under. Gave us a hell of a scare.”

Rodney turned to where there was extra weight on his arm, finding his sister sleeping on top of him, “What is she doing here?”

John laughed softly, “She’s been here all night worrying about you.”

“She hates me,” Rodney murmured confused.

“Do you think she’d be here if she did?” John laughed making sure he didn’t wake Jeannie.

Rodney smiled leaning back, “When can I get out of here?”

“Not until the doctor says,” Jeannie’s voice interrupted, making both men turn to her. She was rubbing her neck which was sore from the way she’d been sleeping.

“Good morning,” John greeted her with a smile, “Nice hairdo.”

Jeannie pushed her hand through her hair before turning to her brother, “How do you feel?”

“Like I went ten rounds with a Wraith,” Rodney replied wryly.

Jeannie laughed softly, “Well you look like it too.”

“Thank you,” Rodney whispered, catching her hand in his, “For being here.”

Jeannie grinned, “You’re my big brother. I owe you for the stories.”

“You remember that?” Rodney asked shocked.

“Of course I do,” Jeannie moved to hug him, “Sorry,” she whispered when he gave a soft cry of pain.

“No problem,” Rodney replied, hugging her as tightly as he could.



Carson groaned softly as he woke up, smiling to himself as he felt the body resting against his. Cracking open one eye he saw Emily asleep with one arm wrapped around his waist her fingers gripping his shirt.

She had brought him into his room made him take off his jacket and shoes before making him lie down. Emily had kissed him several more times before resting against him and snuggling against his chest as they both fell asleep.

Carson gently pushed her hair back from her face smiling as she moaned softly.

“Em,” he whispered, “You have to let me up.”

“Why,” she sighed burying closer to him.

“I have to check on Rodney remember?” Carson laughed.

Emily opened her eyes and looked up at him with a pout, “If you must.”

Her grip on him relaxed and Carson slid away from her, feeling disappointment at losing her warmth. Emily grabbed his pillow and curled against it instead.

Carson grinned heading to get a quick shower, he felt relaxed and happy for the first time in a long time. The last time he’d woken up feeling this way was the last day they’d been together on Earth after the one and only night they’d spent together. As Carson pulled on his sweater he looked over to where Emily was still sleeping, she was now sprawled across the bed gently sighing in her slumber. He leaned over and gently kissed her forehead.

“Carson,” she mumbled.

“Go back to sleep, love,” he whispered, “I’ll see you later.”



When Carson arrived at the infirmary he found Jarod had joined John and Jeannie at Rodney’s bedside.

“Well you look as though your hard head is still intact once again,” Carson said as he walked towards them.

All four looked at him a little surprised.

“You’re talking to us?” Rodney asked innocently.

Carson frowned at him, “You can go to your room and rest. And I mean rest, Rodney.”

“He will,” Jeannie promised with a smile.

Rodney moved slowly getting up his sister moving to his side, Jarod moved to the other and together helped Rodney away from the infirmary.

“Why are you grinning?” John asked Carson suspiciously when the others were out of earshot.

“What?” Carson asked turning to him.

“You look like you woke up after your coffee fix,” John told him, “So, what is going on with you?”

“A good night’s sleep, Colonel,” Carson told him with a smile, “Now I have patients to see.”

With that he left John standing.



John caught up with the other three quickly and walked with them towards Rodney’s room, he noted that his friend’s steps were jerky and a little unsteady though he never went down as Jeannie and Jarod both had a good hold on him. Any time they passed someone Rodney went into a spiel about not needing babysitters before becoming silent the moment there was no one there.

They reached the room and John quickly opened the door allowing the patient in before following on.

“Thanks,” Rodney sighed as he rested back on his bed.

“No problem,” his sister smiled, “Do you need anything?”

“No,” he told her, “I’m okay.”

A chime from the door interrupted any conversation. John turned to check with Rodney that it was all right; when he nodded John opened the door.

“Good morning,” Elizabeth greeted when the door swung open, “Why am I not surprised to find you here?”

John grinned letting her in, “I’m a caring soul.”

Elizabeth rolled her eyes at him as she walked into the room, “How do you feel, Rodney?”

“Fine,” Rodney snapped, “I would like to get rid of my nurses so I can get back to work.”

“Dr Beckett has ordered that you are not to move from this room until he’s cleared you for work,” Elizabeth reminded him.

“Can I get a second opinion,” Rodney sneered, “I’m sure there’s a vet on Atlantis somewhere.”

Elizabeth grimaced at him, “I don’t want to hear about you disobeying, Carson.”

“Don’t worry about it,” Jeannie spoke up from her seat holding up a pack of cards, “I’ll be here all day.”

“Good,” Elizabeth smiled at the other woman; “Have fun.”

Rodney let out a ‘pfft’ sound as Elizabeth left the room before he sighed leaning back against his pillows tiredly.

John turned back to his friend as a sudden realisation of how tiring it was for Rodney to pretend all the time. The first year on Atlantis Rodney seemed to become softer, less McKay than he’d seemed when they’d first met, John put it down to the fact that Rodney was becoming comfortable with them but since he and Zelenka had become a haven for him where he could be himself Dr McKay had returned as sarcastic and sharp as before.

John watched as Jeannie dealt the cards, Rodney needed them. He needed people he could relax with and a time where he didn’t have to keep up the façade.

*********************************************

Parker felt her breath catch as she stepped off the Daedalus into Atlantis; she’d forgotten how amazing it actually was. Thankfully she and Lyle had been split in their groups for disembarking meaning she hopefully would be able to find Rodney before Lyle did.

“Captain Parker?” a surprised voice greeted her.

“Dr Weir,” Parker greeted the leader of Atlantis, “It’s good to see you.”

“I didn’t realise you were returning to Atlantis,” Elizabeth said.

Parker thought fast, “It was at the last minute.”

“Well I know a few people who’ll be pleased to see you,” Elizabeth laughed.

“Speaking of,” Parker was amazed she was going to find him this fast, “I was hoping to say hi to Rodney before I had to report in.”

“He was in an accident yesterday,” Elizabeth told Parker who felt an icy hand grip her heart, “He’s in his room now, according to Dr Beckett just some bumps and bruises. His hard head as usual keeps his big brain in tact.”

Parker’s smile was genuine; “I’ll go see him now.”

“I’m sure it’ll cheer him up that you’re here,” Elizabeth smiled frowning as she was called in the radio, “It never stops.”

Parker nodded as Elizabeth left taking a deep breath she headed towards Rodney’s room hoping to hell that Lyle didn’t get let loose on the city for a while.



Emily was walking through the corridors heading to join the ‘gang’ as Zelenka liked to refer to them. She’d woken up several hours after Carson had left to start his shift unable to stop smiling as she headed back to her room to get a shower and changed. Now she wanted to make sure Rodney was alright, she cared about him like he was another brother. Turning the corner she saw some of the new recruits from the recently arrived Daedalus wondering about them for a few moments before one turned making her gasp in horror.

Standing talking to Dr Weir was Miss Parker and Emily felt fear fill her. They’d been found.

Emily started to run, the moment she found Rodney’s room she banged on the door trying to catch her breath when the door opened.

“I saw her,” Emily gasped when Jarod caught her.

“Who?” Jarod asked, confused by the panic he saw her eyes.

“Danger,” Rodney whispered from his bed.

“What danger?” Jarod looked between them.

“Miss Parker,” Emily told them, “She’s here on Atlantis.”

Colour drained from Jeannie’s face and the cards she’d been holding fell to her feet, “They’ve found us?”

“Parker can’t be the danger you’re feeling,” Jarod said to Rodney, “It has to be something else.”

“What do you mean?” Emily asked confused at her brother’s statement, “Miss Parker is part of the Centre.”

“Parker isn’t a threat,” John told them, “When she was here the last time the three of them were inseparable.”

Emily turned to her brother horror and anger filling her eyes, “She’s a Parker, she’s one of them. She’s one of the ones who have been chasing you all across the country trying to put you back in that prison.”

“You don’t understand, Emily,” Jarod tried to explain.

“She’s part of the organisation that ripped our family apart,” Emily yelled, betrayal echoing in her voice before she turned and walked away.

Emily walked through the corridors even with tears blinding her she managed to make her way to the infirmary. Emily searched the rooms finally finding Carson in his office.

“Em?” he asked confused as she moved to him.

Emily didn’t say a word just burying herself against him as he wrapped his arms around her.



Jarod felt Zelenka catch his arm when he moved to go after his sister.

“Do not,” the scientist told him, “She is not in mood to talk to you just now.”

Jarod sighed, “She doesn’t understand the bond the three of us developed,” he took his seat beside Rodney again.

“What do you mean?” Jeannie demanded, “What the hell is going on here?”

Rodney and Jarod shared a look before Rodney turned to his friends hopefully. John held up his hands refusing to even take the responsibility for telling Jeannie this, Zelenka laughed at them.

“Hey,” Jeannie snapped aggravated, “I want an answer or I’m going to ask Emily.”

“Miss Parker works for the Centre,” Jarod started, “She’s part of the team who’s been tracking me since our escape.”

“That bit I know. Why is she not a danger?” Jeannie demanded.

“We’ve known Parker since we were kids,” Rodney took over, “She was here last year at the same time as Jarod, she’d been ordered to get me back to Earth and the Centre. She didn’t. Instead she made sure the other guy who’d come after me didn’t get me.”

“You’re telling me the woman who has been coming after you is here and you’re not worried because she was a childhood friend?” Jeannie demanded, “I don’t get this. You should be worried that they’ve sent someone here again.”

John nodded, “She’s got a point.”

“You have to trust us on this, Jeannie,” Jarod told her, “Parker won’t hurt us, I know this."

“I hope you’re right,” Jeannie replied coldly, “Because it’s all our lives you’re playing with now.”

*********************************************

Parker walked to Rodney’s room smiling as she came closer stopping for a few seconds outside before she touched the chime requesting entry.

“Hello again,” John greeted Parker.

“You’re not surprised to see me?” she asked worried.

“Nope,” John pulled her in, “We got a warning.”

“Jarod?” Parker cried in shock, finding him standing next to where Rodney was resting, “What are you doing here?”

“I was about to ask you that question,” he replied.

Parker frowned at him and headed to Rodney’s side hugging him quickly ,checking out the bruises before turning to see the woman sitting watching her.

“You would be Jeannie,” Parker stated as she took one of the free seats.

“That means you’re the danger,” Jeannie retorted crossing her arms.

“I was sent by the Centre to bring Rodney back with me,” Parker explained, “But I’m not the danger,” she turned to Jarod, “They’ve sent Lyle with me as well.”

Jarod’s eyes widened, “What?”

“As in guy who held a gun to my head?” Jeannie asked, shakily moving from her seat to pace, her face pale.

“That’s the psychopath,” Parker replied, “I can’t help you this time. If I try…”

“Hold on,” John snapped; he rested his hand on Jeannie’s shoulder making sure she was alright before continuing, “Who is Lyle?”

“Parker,” Jarod handed the question to her.

“Lyle is, unfortunately, my brother,” she told him, “He’s also a nutcase who will stop at nothing to get power for himself. He will kill anyone that gets in his way.”

“What do we do?” Jeannie asked wrapping her arms around herself.

“Pray,” Zelenka murmured from his corner.



“Em,” Carson said softly at the woman curled up on his bed, “Will you tell me what’s wrong?”

“It’s hard to explain,” she sighed moving so she was resting against him.

Carson wrapped his arm around her, “You could try. And even if I don’t understand at least you’ve talked about it.”

Emily looked up at him and gave a smile, “I’m so glad you’re here.”

Carson gave her a gentle kiss; “Tell me.”

“One of our pursuers is here on Atlantis,” Emily whispered, feeling Carson tighten his grip, “But everyone says it’s not a problem.”

“That sounds like a problem to me,” Carson frowned.

“Apparently Miss Parker is a good friend,” Emily snapped.

“Parker?” Carson asked confused, “As in Captain Parker? She was here with Jarod the first time, Rodney and those two were absolutely inseparable for the three months they were here.”

Feeling Emily stiffen in his arms Carson understood, “And that’s why you feel betrayed.”

Emily sighed relieved he understood, “My family has never had the chance to be normal and he’s making nice with the woman who’s not only part of it but whose sole job is to imprison him…both of them again.”

“Em,” Carson soothed gently, kissing the top of he head, “You need to talk to him, Jarod’s your brother.”

“Why did you come here?” Emily asked suddenly.

“Em, you’re changing the subject,” Carson scolded softly.

Emily moved so she was kneeling facing him, “I just want to know.”

“You’re still changing the subject,” Carson replied before rolling his eyes, “Alright, I came because I was running.”

Emily leaned forward confused, “Running? From what?”

“I was running from you, Em,” Carson replied sadly, “I was running away from the memory of you.”

She sat back on her heels, “Oh.”

“Don’t misunderstand,” he continued, “I love my work and the chances I have for research here are incredible. I have made a lot of good friends but I wouldn’t have even taken the job in Antarctica if you hadn’t disappeared.”

Emily moved to him initiating a deep kiss wrapping her arms around his neck and pulling him down onto her.

“I have to get back soon,” he murmured.

“You’re in charge,” Emily replied softly holding onto him, “They can’t fire you.”

Carson laughed giving into her only to be interrupted less than five minutes later.

Dr Beckett, you’re needed in the infirmary,” a voice called over his radio.

Carson sighed, “I’ll be there in a few minutes.”

Emily gave a slight laugh of annoyance, “I should have expected this. You’re a Doctor.”

Carson stood up and pulled her to her feet, “Go talk to Jarod.”

“Okay,” she agreed.

“And I’ll meet you for dinner once my shift is over,” Carson smiled, “Deal?”

“Deal,” Emily kissed him once more before leaving him alone.



Emily walked through the corridors back to Rodney’s room assuming they would still be gathered there. The six of them had become a family of sorts Emily had found and considering their situation it was something they needed.

As Emily walked her mind drifted to Carson and a smile rose on her lips. They’d known each other a total of two weeks when she’d been forced to leave him and…he had really meant what he’d said the night they’d spent together.

Caught in her thoughts she didn’t notice the man until she’d walked into him.

“I’m sorry,” she said looking up freezing as she saw Mr Lyle in front of her.

Emily tried to run but he grabbed her arm a slow sadistic smile covering his face.

“Hello Emily,” he said softly, “Now this is a surprise.”