The Definition Of Family von LE McMurray

[Reviews - 1]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Lyle sat in the back of the ship hidden under his hood with the two Athosians youths he had persuaded to help him. The gullible fools believed he had been persecuted by those in Atlantis, their own dislike of Weir and her people blinding them to Lyle’s advantage. Lyle was extremely pleased with himself at managing to persuade them to tell everyone he was dead after only a few minutes.

He needed to get through the Stargate to Earth but he didn’t have an IDC so that meant he’d need to try another planet for a way to get the Pretenders.

Lyle had studied the work patterns of the Atlantis control room team so he knew when the best time for them to strike would be.

Arriving in the city they headed to the rooms they would be using and waited. When the time came Lyle and his two acolytes started through the halls of the city. It was late and most people were sleeping; only the skeleton crew were awake. Making it to the Gateroom Lyle quickly and silently disposed of the marine who didn’t have a chance to fight back.

There were two men working at the controls both with their back to Lyle who smiled, one of the Athosian boys knocked the first unconscious. Lyle waited until the second had turned before jamming the gun into his forehead.

“Dial me a safe planet,” Lyle told him.

The man nodded, “Alright. Just give me one min…” he gasped as Lyle grabbed his hand and twisted.

“No calling for help,” Lyle sighed, smacking his gun against the other man’s temple, “Kidel, you know of a planet we can go?”

The young man who looked amazed and honoured that Lyle had asked him nodded quickly.

“Do it,” Lyle ordered, rolling his eyes as the boy knocked over one of the mugs sitting there.

He turned towards the office and saw Jeannie McKay sitting there shock in her eyes, he quickly aimed and fired smiling as she screamed and fell. In front of him the Gate burst open.

“Go,” Lyle told them, he took a look into the office finding the woman on the ground blood oozing from a wound in her head before running down the stairs and through the Stargate, he’d be back and soon.



Elizabeth smiled as she met John as they both headed to the Control room.

“You’re up early,” Elizabeth noted as they walked.

John shrugged, “I was about to say the same thing.”

“I’ve got a lot of work to do,” Elizabeth rolled her eyes; “It never stops. What’s your excuse?”

“Couldn’t sleep,” he replied, “Thought I’d come and shake up the guards on duty. Make sure they haven’t fallen asleep on the job.”

Elizabeth laughed, “Well whatever gets you through the morning. I thought you’d be out running with Ronon.”

“That’s not for about two hours,” John replied as they reached the entrance to the Gateroom, “That’s odd,” he frowned.

“What?” Elizabeth asked.

“Guard’s gone,” he replied pulling his gun.

“You know it worries me you carry that everywhere you go,” Elizabeth told him.

“It makes me feel more of a man,” John muttered sarcastically, “Now stay here.”

He moved slowly into the Gateroom scowling as Elizabeth appeared behind him.

“Didn’t I just tell you to stay there?” John demanded annoyed.

“Since when do you do what I tell you?” Elizabeth replied, making him scowl even more.

“That’s not the issue,” he growled, “Just stay behind me, okay?”

She nodded, “You’re the boss.”

This earned her an annoyed look before John moved further into the room, he couldn’t see anyone else anywhere so moved up to the control room.

“Oh my God,” Elizabeth gasped as she saw the two men sprawled across consoles before she saw the shattered window to her office.

As Elizabeth checked one of the men John quickly checked the other for a pulse, “Medical team to control room,” he ordered finding one.

John left Elizabeth with the two men and moved into her office to check that. As he moved closer he saw a hand sticking out from behind the desk. Horror filled him as he looked down on Jeannie.

“Elizabeth,” he yelled.

“What’s wrong?” she came running over, stopping in horror as she saw the woman, “Is she…”

John shook his head, “She has a pulse. Where the hell is the medical team?”

“They’re coming,” she breathed, “They’re coming.”

*********************************************

Rodney groaned as someone banged on his door waking him up. He’d actually managed to sleep right through but now he was stiffer than before. The banging on his door became more and more insistent.

“Alright,” Rodney snapped, “I will open it in a minute.”

Hobbling over to the door he opened it surprised to see Zelenka standing there his face grave.

“Radek?” Rodney asked rubbing his hand over his face, “Why are you here?”

“Something happened last night in the control room,” Zelenka told him.

Rodney groaned, “What did they break?”

“Rodney,” Zelenka licked his lips, “Jeannie has been hurt.”

Shock covered Rodney’s face as he took this in, “Hurt?”

“Lyle somehow got into the city,” Zelenka explained, “Jeannie was there and he shot…”

Rodney stormed past him stopping suddenly as he realised he wasn't dressed, he turned back pulled on his pants, shoes and sweatshirt before running to the infirmary.

Rodney skidded to a halt finding John speaking with Carson sadness covered both their faces and fear filled him

“Rodney,” Carson turned and saw him standing.

“How is she?” Rodney whispered.

“The bullet only grazed her forehead,” Carson explained, “However when Jeannie fell she hit her head hard on the wall. At the moment she’s still unconscious.”

Rodney stared at Carson his medical knowledge flooding into his mind, “There could be damage.”

“At the look of the wall where she fell,” Carson continued softly, “It’s very possible.”

“Can he see her?” John interrupted seeing how blank his friend looked.

Carson nodded, “Aye, go sit with her. It’ll help.”

“Thank you,” Rodney whispered not moving.

Carson motioned to John who took his friend’s arm and leading him to his sister’s bedside.



Jeannie’s face was almost pure white as she lay there; only her dark hair separated her from the sheets. Rodney shakily sat down unable to tear his eyes from her face.

“This is my fault,” Rodney whispered.

“What?” John demanded as he pulled a seat over to join his friend.

“I should have felt this happen,” Rodney explained, “But I…she told me to get something to help me sleep and I did.”

John rested his hand on Rodney’s shoulder squeezing it tightly in comfort, “She’s going to be alright. You know that don’t you?”

“I don’t,” Rodney whispered, “I don’t know it. What if she dies John?”

“She’s not going to die,” John snapped.

“It’ll be my fault,” Rodney continued, “I got her into this. I should have protected her better than this.”

John grabbed Rodney’s face making Rodney look at him, “This is not your fault. Okay? Understand?”

Rodney dropped his eyes and John forced him to look back up.

“Say it,” John ordered, “It’s not my fault.”

“It’s not my fault,” Rodney said quietly.

“Again.”

“It’s not my fault,” Rodney repeated a little louder.

John patted him on the shoulder, “Just hold onto that.”

*********************************************

Parker and Jarod ran towards the infirmary finding Emily standing at the door waiting for them.

“What happened?” Parker demanded.

Emily still hadn’t gotten over her resentment of Parker but considering the obvious feelings her brother had for the woman Emily was trying to be civil. She quickly explained what she knew.

“Come on,” Emily told them, “Carson said you can sit with her for a while.”

Emily lead them to the room where Rodney and John were sitting at Jeannie’s bedside, Parker instantly moved and went to Rodney. Rodney hugged her as Parker rocked him gently, rubbing his shoulder.

Jarod put his arms around his sister’s shoulders hugging her, “Are you okay?”

“Carson doesn’t know if she’s going to get out of this without any brain damage,” Emily whispered, “Rodney’s not taking it well.”

Jarod rested his head against hers, “I know how I would feel it was you.”

Emily smiled slightly, “I take it you two are talking again.”

A shy smile touched Jarod’s face, “Yes. For the moment until I do something to upset her.”

“I’m pleased for you,” Emily said softly.

“You hate her,” Jarod replied with a shrug.

“I don’t trust her, Jarod,” Emily told her brother, “But I will be civil, for you.”

“Thank you,” Jarod smiled giving another quick hug before he went to join the others crowding around Jeannie’s bed.



Elizabeth was pacing the briefing room anger boiling in her.

“Dr Weir?” Teyla’s gentle voice broke through her thoughts, “You wished to see me?”

“Teyla, please sit down,” Elizabeth pulled herself together, “I assume you know what happened last night.”

“Yes,” Teyla said softly, “It is a shocking thing.”

“The thing is from what we know Lieutenant Lyle was helped by two Athosian youths,” Elizabeth winced seeing the look in Teyla’s eyes.

“Is this something that has been proven or just someone’s rash accusation?” Teyla’s soft voice never wavered but the tone was sharper than before.

“Dr Simms gave the statement,” Elizabeth explained, “I was hoping you would be able to find out who it was.”

“I shall speak to Halling,” Teyla promised, “If someone is willing to take me to the mainland.”

“Lieutenant Jordan is waiting for you,” Elizabeth told her.

Teyla gave the other woman a gentle nod before leaving. Elizabeth leaned back in her chair worrying.



Carson stood watching the small family gathered around the bed where the young woman was laying. He felt completely useless because all he’d been able to do was stand in the background and occasionally call out an order. He hadn’t been able to help hands on and part of him felt he could have done more if he had.

“It’s not your fault,” Parker said coming to stand beside him a cup of coffee in her hand, “You couldn’t have done any more than you did.”

“If she dies I don’t know what Rodney will do,” Carson noted.

“He’s a survivor,” Parker told him, “And from what I’ve seen so is Jeannie. Don’t count her out just yet.”

“I was hoping Lyle was really dead,” Carson murmured.

Parker gave a snort of derision, “Well I’ve tried to kill him more than once but my brother has a habit of not dying.”

Carson turned to her, “Your brother?”

“You didn’t know that did you?” Parker frowned, “Yeah. Lyle the psychopath is my twin brother. We’re not close.”

“I guessed,” Carson said wryly.

She patted him on the shoulder and headed back into the room, handing the coffee to Rodney before leaning against Jarod who slipped his arms around her waist. Carson continued to watch for a moment before heading back to his work.

*********************************************

John stood watching Rodney from the doorway after the others had left. They all had work to do so had drifted away one by one leaving Rodney sitting and John watching.

“I only just got to know her,” Rodney spoke for the first time in hours, “We were becoming close and now…”

“She’s going to pull through this, Rodney,” John reminded him.

Rodney sighed and took his sister’s hand in his again.

“You know she did this when you were hurt,” John told his friend, “She was scared that you wouldn’t pull through but you did,” he moved to sit across from him, “I sat with her and although she was mad at what had brought her here, she was grateful for the chance to get to know you.”

Rodney smiled slightly.

“Did you know she’s engaged?” John asked, trying to keep his friend talking.

“She yelled it at me when we were coming here,” Rodney smiled slightly; “We had a talk about during the week and she told me about him.”

“Come on,” John rolled his eyes, “Tell me about the guy.”

“Why are you so interested?” Rodney asked suspiciously.

“Because,” John grinned a wicked gleam in his eyes, “According to the rumour mill, Jeannie and I are in the middle of some sort of torrid affair; I’d like some sort of details on my competition.”

Rodney started to laugh, “I was wondering why people shut up every time I came close to their tables in the commissary.”

“Apparently we’ve been spending a lot of time together,” John shrugged, “It appears that invisibility cloak you’ve been tampering with works.”

Rodney continued to laugh the tension in his eyes easing for a moment.



Jarod found Parker in the gym after her shift going one on one with one of the Marines, who she was beating. He knew she felt guilty about what had happened to Jeannie, they both did.

They’d had so many chances to get rid of Lyle but something always stopped them.

“Hey,” he greeted her when she walked over to him.

“What do you want?” Parker snapped as she rubbed her face with her towel.

“I thought…” he trailed off, “I just wanted to make sure you were alright.”

“I’m fine,” Parker replied sharply marching out of the room.

Jarod sighed, receiving sympathetic looks from the marines in the room before he headed after her.

“It isn’t your fault, Parker,” Jarod called after her as she marched along the corridor.

She stopped allowing him to catch up with her, her eyes narrowed at him.

“I was sent to kill him, Jarod,” she reminded him harshly, “Years ago and I thought I had. Why won’t he die?”

“Parker you can’t blame yourself for this,” Jarod told her, “I should have fired the day he killed Kyle.”

Parker gave a derisive laugh, “Like I told you.”

“I didn’t want to hit you,” Jarod reminded her sadly, “But if I’d done it we would have saved ourselves a lot of grief.”

Parker sighed stepping into him resting her head against his chest wrapping her arms around his waist.

“Come on,” Jarod whispered into her hair, “We should get something to eat and then we can go back to the infirmary.”

Parker nodded and with one arm still around Jarod’s waist started walking again.



Carson sat in his office going over and over Jeannie’s test results hoping for some sign in them whether or not she’d suffered brain damage but they were revealing nothing useful.

He glanced up and watched Rodney sitting at his sister’s bedside. Zelenka had taken over from John about an hour ago so he could speak with Elizabeth.

“Carson, you need to get some rest,” Emily’s voice shook him from his thoughts; “You’re still recovering.”

“I was hoping I could find something to give Rodney hope,” Carson told her smiling as she slipped her hand in his.

“Have you?” Emily whispered.

He shook his head, “I don’t know how she’ll be when she wakes up, if she wakes up. Em I feel so useless.”

Emily slipped her arms around him pulling him close, “You’re not useless. You did everything you could. But you won’t be of any use if you collapse, so please come back to your room and get some rest.”



“John,” Elizabeth nodded sharply as he entered the briefing room, “Teyla just reported back.”

John took his seat, “And?”

“From what she can tell two Athosian youths helped Lieutenant Lyle,” Elizabeth told him, “By lying about his demise then hiding him within the village, sneaking him to Atlantis before helping him go through the Stargate.”

“Any indication where he went?” John asked his voice not showing his anger.

“We have the last Gate address dialled,” Elizabeth said stopping him from saying anything, “We sent a MALP which shows they’re not there anymore.”

“So we can’t follow him,” John snapped the urge to hit something returning full force.

“No.”

They sat in silence for several minutes before John stood up again.

“I’ll sort security and a plan for when he comes back,” he told her.

Elizabeth frowned, “You’re sure he’ll come back.”

John turned back to her his eyes dark with anger, “Yes.”

Elizabeth watched him walk away worry filling her, for the young woman lying in a coma in the infirmary, for their Chief Scientist who was sitting waiting at his sister’s bedside and she hoped no one else would be hurt by this Lyle.