The Definition Of Family von LE McMurray

[Reviews - 1]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Rodney stopped the car and jumped out smiling as Jarod moved to greet him.

“You shouldn’t have come,” Jarod said instantly.

Rodney rolled his eyes, “Hello to you too.”

Jarod relented and hugged his friend, “It is good to see you but you shouldn’t have left Atlantis.”

“Tell me what’s happening,” Rodney demanded as he grabbed his bags.

Jarod filled him in quickly on recent events before his rescue plan. Rodney nodded quickly, “It’s good though how did you plan to get away?”

“By van,” Jarod replied.

Rodney laughed, “Easier if you have someone else driving. Get them out and I’ll be waiting to get us out of there instantly.”

Jarod nodded and smiled, “Let’s go get them.”

*********************************************

Emily turned to where Jeannie was sitting hunched against the wall wishing she had something to say to comfort the other woman.

“Have you known about this all your life?” Jeannie asked suddenly.

Emily sighed, “Pretty much. You have to understand that because of what my family knew and who my brothers are they don’t want us wandering around. Because they made a deal with your parents they didn’t keep the same sort of tabs on them.”

“Guess you haven’t exactly had a chance to do the things you wanted with your life?” Jeannie noted.

“No,” Emily slid to sit against the opposite wall, “A few years ago I met a guy who was the sweetest, kindest, smartest…he had this smile…” she trailed off with a sigh as she thought about him, “Anyway, I was really starting to fall for him but the Centre found out where I was and I had to leave.”

“Did you get to say goodbye to him?” Jeannie asked interested, wanting to focus on anything but where they were.

“I had to send him a Dear John email,” Emily grimaced before shaking her head, “He’s better off without me and what my life brings anyway.”

Jeannie winced as she saw the sadness fill Emily’s eyes, “So what about this brother of yours? What’s he like?”

“Yes,” an amused voice asked from the shadows, “What is he like?”

“Jarod,” Emily whispered in relief, hugging her brother as he stepped fully into the room.

Jarod grinned at her before turning to Jeannie; he was at least a foot taller than both her and Emily with long slightly mussed dark hair, broad shoulders and a mischievous look filling his dark eyes.

“You would be Jeannie,” he smiled at her, “I can see the resemblance but we can talk about that later. We have to get you two out of here now.”

“How?” Jeannie demanded, “How did you even get in here?”

Jarod smiled, “I came in the back way that isn’t an option now though.”

Jeannie’s eyes widened as she heard yells, “Which way?”

“Come on,” Jarod motioned them forward, stopping them he titled his head slightly before kicking the door as it opened.

As he reopened it they saw two men laying unconscious, guns lying just beside their hands. Jarod motioned them forward taking the lead; he jumped over the banister knocking out the next two men coming for them.

“Almost there,” Jarod told them as they joined him at the bottom of the stairs, “There’s a van coming for us. Jump in the moment it gets here.”

“Jarod,” Emily whispered worriedly.

“I’m right behind you;” he assured her, “Go now.”

Emily grabbed Jeannie’s arm and they started to run out the door into the dark street. A van came skidding round the corner and stopped, the door slid open and a man looked at them over the driver’s seat.

“Get in,” he called.

Jeannie had no time to think about it as Emily pushed her in and pulled the door shut.

“Hold on,” the man told them, “When Jarod gets in I’ll have to go fast.”



Jarod saw the women run and turned finding he was facing the barrel of a gun held by Miss Parker.

“Stay right there,” she told him, “Nice of you to spring our little trap.”

Jarod grinned at her as he raised his hands, “You’re looking good, Parker. I like the way you’ve cut your hair.”

Parker kept her eyes trained on him noticing the small remote control in his hand, “Get back,” she called to the men who were coming to help her just as the smoke bomb went off.

Jarod grabbed Parker tossing her gun to one side he spun her pulling her so her back was against his chest.

“Miss you,” he murmured, giving her cheek a quick kiss, “And sorry,” he flung her forward into the men coming after him as he ran to the van.

“Go,” Jarod yelled jumping in the van, he looked back seeing Parker glaring at him a slight smile tugging at her lips with Mr Lyle standing behind her anger in his eyes.



“Wonderful trap,” Parker turned to her twin brother, “Absolutely first class.”

“You had him,” Lyle reminded her.

“Yes, the smoke bomb and getting pushed into you were just a ruse to catch him,” she rolled her eyes at him, “Now what? I assume you had a plan for this eventuality?”

He glared at her, “If the sweepers had done their job…”

Parker crossed her arms and turned to walk back into the house, “I should have known Lyle, you have never taken Jarod or his abilities seriously that’s why he wins every time.”

“What’s your excuse?” he shot at her.

“I take him too seriously,” she replied entering the house.

***********************************************

Jeannie jumped out of the van the moment she could. They had driven for several hours, all of them in silence until finally arriving at this warehouse where they’d stopped and Jarod had let them out.

Jeannie turned to see Emily hugging her brother again before looking past at the man who had been driving. He was leaning against the van’s side staring at her and she felt a shiver slide down her spine, he looked so familiar.

Jarod saw them looking at each other, “Jeannie meet Rodney.”

Jeannie’s eyes widened in astonishment, “Rodney?”

He shrugged walking over to her, “Bit of a disappointment I bet.”

Jeannie gave a choked sob and grabbed him in a tight hug, “Oh God, you’re safe.”

Rodney looked a little stunned but after a second he hugged her back, holding onto her tightly a tear trailing along his cheek.

“You shouldn’t have come looking for me,” Rodney told her, “You’ve put yourself in danger.”

“I thought you were dead,” Jeannie wiped her eyes, “I wanted my brother back.”

He dropped his head but couldn’t say anything else as another man arrived.

“You took your time,” the older man said with a grin.

“Dad,” Emily smiled, moving to him and hugging him tightly.

Jarod nodded at his father as the man grasped his shoulder.

“So, you must be Rodney and Jeannie,” he smiled at them, “I’m their father, everyone calls me Major Charles.”

“Hi,” Jeannie managed to say.

Rodney moved and shook the man’s hand, “Jarod said you’d be able to help.”

Major Charles nodded.

“Before we do anything,” Jarod said turning to Rodney, “We have to work out who sent you the message.”

“I can answer that,” Major Charles replied, “I passed the message onto a friend who sent it to Rodney.”

“Who do you know from the SGC who could do that?” Rodney demanded worried.

“Me,” a new voice interrupted making them turn.

“Daniel?” Jarod and Rodney said in unison as they stared at the man who was leaning against the wall hands stuffed in his pockets.

Daniel waved his hand slightly, “Hi.”



“Major Charles and Jack have been friends for a long time,” Daniel explained as they all sat eating, “I first met him several years ago while I was staying with Jack just after my wife was…was killed,” he managed to say, “I think Jack believed I wasn't really taking anything in so he didn’t bother when Major Charles came for help.”

Rodney frowned, “You ended up knowing about Pretenders?”

Daniel nodded, “Yeah. When you and your Dad found each other again he sent us both a picture so that if you appeared where we were then we could help.”

“That’s why you let me go to Atlantis,” Jarod mused, “Because you also knew about Rodney.”

Daniel shrugged with a smile, “Exactly. Your Dad sent me the email you sent him about your sisters so I made sure it was passed to Rodney under Landry’s nose, which trust me wasn't easy.”

“Why?” Jarod demanded, “Bringing Rodney back here was the worst idea you could have.”

“I didn’t think he’d come back,” Daniel shrugged, “But he needed to know.”

Rodney rolled his eyes, “And I know and I’m here. My question is what now?”

“He’s right,” Emily spoke up, “The Centre know Jeannie’s learned about them, she’s not safe anymore.”

Daniel clicked his tongue getting everyone’s attention, “Sorry I was just thinking. What about Atlantis?”

“What?” everyone asked.

“When Rodney returns to Atlantis, you three go too,” Daniel explained, “Jack and I were talking a few weeks ago about how Weir needs some admin staff to help her keep things together now the city’s occupancy is a lot higher than originally planned.”

“That’s actually a good idea,” Major Charles mused, “It’ll get you girls off their radar long enough so that when you come back you can disappear.”

Jarod nodded turning to Daniel, “Can you arrange this?”

“No,” Daniel smiled, “But I know a man who can.”



“Daniel, there are times I wonder where you get these ideas from,” Jack O’Neill laughed, leaning back in his chair.

“You have to admit it’s a good one,” Daniel replied, his arms crossed defensively.

“It’s ingenious,” Jack cried gleefully, “Daniel, it’s absolutely perfect.”

“But can you do it?” Daniel leaned back in his chair.

“With the ID’s Jarod and Rodney fixed, easily,” Jack grinned before looking thoughtful, “What’s he really like?”

“Who?”

“Rodney,” Jack clarified, “I’ve met the ‘persona’ so what’s he really like?”

Daniel shrugged, “He’s a good guy. Not as irritating as he puts on.”

“And how’s his sister dealing with this?”

“She hasn’t said much,” Daniel told his friend, “I don’t know how she’ll cope with this Jack but there’s no other choice. If the Centre gets a hold of her then they’ve got Rodney in the palm of their hand.”

“Tell Major Charles I’ll keep his kids safe,” Jack said, “All you have to do is get those four ready to leave tonight.”

Daniel nodded, “They will be,” Daniel started to leave before stopping and turning back to his friend, “We have to do something about them sooner or later Jack. You know that.”

Jack sighed, “I know, Danny but until we’re sure we can get rid of them completely even letting them know we’re going to try could put an end to any effort.”

“I know,” Daniel whispered, “But they are going to pay one day for what they did to my parents."

*********************************************

The Daedalus moved through the stars heading back to Atlantis. In the small room she’d been assigned Jeannie sat going over the cover story she’d been given by her brother.

Her head hurt, over the past few days she’d been called to a clandestine meeting, kidnapped, rescued and was now being sent to another galaxy so the kidnappers couldn’t find her again. The last bit especially was contributing hugely to her headache.

“Are you okay?” Emily asked as she entered the room with some coffee for them.

“Now there’s a loaded question,” Jeannie replied, sharper than she’d intended to, “How are you…how can you…”

“A lot of practice,” Emily shrugged with a wry grimace.

Jeannie couldn’t think of a reply so instead took a long drink of her coffee.

“Rodney’s trying his hardest,” Emily broached seeing Jeannie’s eyes harden.

“I don’t want to talk about it,” Jeannie snapped, “I have to learn this.”

Emily shrugged sitting down on her bunk pulling out a red notebook to learn the back-story she had been given.



“She hates me,” Rodney sighed when Jarod arrived.

“Jeannie doesn’t hate you,” Jarod replied as his friend dropped his head onto the table, “This is just a hard thing to take in. Everything that’s happened over the past few days is a lot to process.”

Rodney glanced up, “Emily is taking it well.”

“Emily’s used to things like this,” Jarod reminded him, “It’s only for a few months Rodney, then we’ll send them back through the Stargate once Daniel sends us notice it’s safe.”

“Few months,” Rodney sighed, “This is going to be hell.”

“Have you warned her?” Jarod asked amused, “About ‘Dr McKay’?”

Rodney frowned at him, “She saw me yelling at some of the others. She scowled and left.”

Jarod started to laugh.

“It’s not funny, Jarod,” Rodney snapped, “If there is any hint I’m not who I said I am…Elizabeth will lose any faith she had in me. I’m needed there Jarod and if she doesn’t trust me…”

“I know,” Jarod leaned back in his chair, “It’ll be nice to see Atlantis again.”

“I hope nothing’s happened while I’ve been away,” Rodney sighed groaning again, “How long till we get there?”

“Ten days,” Jarod reminded him.

“I should probably get to work then,” Rodney pulled himself up, “Talk to you later.”



The next ten days were quiet as the Daedalus headed to its destination. Rodney as usual played Dr McKay noting that Jeannie avoided him. He hadn’t wanted this, he hadn’t wanted her involved in this but now she was and Rodney knew he could only deal with it.

Emily on the other hand was fascinated by everything; Rodney often saw her and Jarod in deep discussion or even just teasing each other. Brother and sister even after so many years apart. It was hard not to be jealous.

“Dr McKay to the bridge,” the call went out for him and Rodney spun heading to the bridge.

“You called,” he said brusquely to Caldwell when he entered the control centre of the ship.

“Dr Weir wishes to talk to you,” Caldwell told him, the slight condescension he always had when talking to anyone non-military in his voice.

“Elizabeth?” Rodney ignored the Colonel.

“Good to hear your voice Rodney,” Elizabeth told him, “Now do you want to explain what’s going on?”

“This had absolutely nothing to do with me,” Rodney defended himself, “General O’Neill told me to tell you you’ll get used to it at some point.”

“Remind me to do something equally nasty to him,” Elizabeth murmured, “I’ll talk to you when you get here.”

“From what I’ve been told it’ll be a few hours,” Rodney told her.

“I’ll see you soon,” Elizabeth laughed before cutting communication.

Rodney sighed softly before heading off the bridge; it was time to make sure they were ready.



“I know how hard this is, Jeannie,” Rodney said softly as they walked through the corridors, “But you have to make sure that you don’t let anyone know what’s happening.”

“I know,” she replied sharply.

“Jeannie…”

“Rodney,” she hissed annoyed at him, “You may be the genius but I’m not stupid.”

“I didn’t…”

“Rodney,” she cut him off, “I know what I have to do. I know it okay?”

He nodded as they joined Jarod and Emily; he’d managed to talk Caldwell into beaming them straight to Elizabeth’s office. ‘Talk’ meaning bug the hell out of him until he’d gave up.

“Rodney,” Elizabeth grinned as he appeared in front of her, “Good to have you back.”

Rodney nodded at her, “Nice to know the place is still here. I take it Zelenka managed to stop anyone doing any permanent damage?”

Elizabeth rolled her eyes, “You can trust your team,” she turned to Jarod, “Good to see you also, Dr Starr.”

“It’s nice to be back,” Jarod smiled.

Elizabeth smiled before turning to Jeannie and Emily, “I hope you two don’t take any offence to the fact I don’t need you.”

“I think you’ll find we’re not that bad,” Emily smiled, “I’m Emily Starr.”

Elizabeth looked surprise, “As in his sister?”

“Yes,” Emily laughed.

“And this is Jeannie,” Rodney introduced, “My sister.”

Elizabeth stared at her for a second before turning to Rodney then Jarod and Emily, “Is this a joke?”

“Of the enormous variety,” Jeannie spoke up, she could see Rodney staring at her panicked, “General O’Neill found it incredibly amusing when we ran into each other just before leaving Earth.”

“The man has a sick sense of humour,” Elizabeth agreed, “Well welcome to Atlantis. Rodney, John has already set aside rooms for our new arrivals. I’ll see you tomorrow for senior staff.”

Rodney nodded and motioned everyone out before turning back as a thought struck him.

“Where’s John?” Rodney asked, wanting to fill his friend in quickly.

“On the mainland,” Elizabeth told him, “One of the women is pregnant so he took Carson over. I think he’s missed you. They’ll be back later tonight.”

“Yeah, well it’s boring without someone to fight with,” Rodney murmured.

With that he headed to catch up with the other three.

He could relax now, they were on Atlantis meaning both Emily and Jeannie were safe. Unfortunately Rodney knew something was still coming.