Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Time for Letting Go

by KaraB
[Reviews - 0]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
***********************


Jack groggily returned to consciousness an hour later. The bright lights of the infirmary hit his eyes hard.


"You know, I'd be willing to bet this is caused by exhaustion. How much have you slept lately Colonel?" Frasier's voice asked from nearby.


"Yeah, guess so . . ." he moaned, though he knew, he KNEW it wasn't that. He'd actually gotten more sleep than usual the last few nights. It wasn't that . . . Was it?


Frasier continued, "General Hammond is giving all of you a few days of leave and has ordered all of you off the base."


"Thanks Doc. Can I go now?"


Frasier smiled and nodded, "Go ahead. Just make sure you take it easy."


"You know me Doc." Jack grinned.


"That's why I'm telling you."


Jack nodded and walked out of the infirmary. His headache was gone, but his mind was crowded. The last few nights he'd had dreams that he couldn't remember, but he knew they were intense. Several had woken him up in the middle of the night, allowing a few images and feelings to linger.


"Jack!"


Jack turned to see Daniel rushing down the corridor, trying to catch up with him.


"Are you okay?"


"Doc says I'm overtired."


Daniel nodded, "Yeah, the last week's been rough on everyone. General Hammond's making us leave the base. I was wondering if you wanted to hang out or what?"


Jack grinned at Daniel's tone, but said, "I'm going fishing, and no offense Daniel, I'd rather go alone."


Daniel nodded, "Okay. Then I'll probably spend the weekend catching up on some journal reading."


Knowing Daniel, that was exactly what he'd do. Normally, Jack would have tried to distract him from work, but this time he needed some time to think. Needed to clear his head . . . get away from work . . . completely away.


***********************


4 Months Later


Jack strolled into the briefing room, whistling very quietly and off key. After his collapse four months prior, the headache had gone away completely and not come back. Well, at least not like that one. Daniel seemed to have a talent for giving him headaches.


The rest of SG-1 was already there and moments later, Hammond entered, followed by Martouf and Mar'Non. They were deep in discussion.


"Hey Carter, how's your dad doing?" Jack turned to look at her.


"About the same." She bit her lip worriedly. About a month beforehand, Jacob had been severely injured on a mission. No one had been able to get any details and Sam had not even been allowed to see her father. The Tok'Ra kept telling them that the mission was classified and that details would betray their security. Martouf had kept Sam informed on her father's recovery . . . but in that month little had changed.


"Colonel O'Neill." Martouf finally acknowledged.


"Soooo," Jack asked, glancing at his team, "What's going on?"


"We have come to make a request of SG-1." Mar'Non said, bowing his head slightly.


"Yes?" Jack's tone was sarcastic.


"Osiris is expecting a shipment of naquadah from P4X-1125. We've managed to stop the last few shipments ourselves but require your help in stopping this one."


"Why?" Jack asked bluntly.


"Because of the recent Goa'uld activity, we do not have the resources to get a team there within the needed time. That is why we need your help. Mar'Non will accompany you."


"Great." Jack replied unenthusiastically.


"What exactly are we supposed to do?" asked Daniel.


"You will stop the shipment from being transported off world." Martouf replied, as if it should have been obvious.


"Why is this so important?" Jack asked.


"We often disrupt Goa'uld shipments." Mar'Non said.


"Yes," Sam nodded, "But why is this one so crucial that you came to us?"


"I'd like to know what's going on as well Martouf, before I send my people off on this mission." Hammond agreed.


Martouf responded, "We have reason to believe that Osiris is building another, more powerful ship. We believe that this shipment is the last, or one of the last that he requires for its completion."


General Hammond and Jack exchanged a look. Jack nodded slightly, "We can be ready within the hour, Sir."


"Okay." Hammond told Martouf, "We'll help you out on this one."


***********************


One Hour Later

On P4X-1125


Jack and Teal'C stepped out the Gate, followed by Sam, Mar'Non, and finally, Daniel. After scanning the area and finding no Jaffa in the immediate vicinity, at least, Jack allowed them to move out. Mar'Non led the way, through a thick growth of trees. When they came out the other side, they found themselves standing in front of something that looked like a huge Egyptian pyramid.


"Well, looks like we're in the right place . . ." muttered Jack.


"Indeed O'Neill." Teal'C agreed.


"So what now?" Daniel asked, and they all glanced at Mar'Non.


"Sunset is approaching. Perhaps we might be able to use the C-4 you brought to cause the tunnel to cave in then." Mar'Non suggested quietly.


"Works for me." Jack said.


They didn't have a long wait, because night fell quickly and Jack, Mar'Non and Teal'C were able to sneak down and get close to the door. Daniel and Sam had remained behind in the grove of trees as backup - just in case.


Entering the mine wasn't difficult at all. The lighting was poor and the guards were spaced out enough to sneak by. Slowly, they made their way deeper into the mine, bit by bit . . .


"This place will be sufficient." Mar'Non finally said.


Jack sat down the bag full of C-4 and moved to take one out, when their weapons were knocked out of their hands and a force field suddenly went up around them.


"I'm guessing this isn't good." Jack said.


Mar'Non gave a half smile, "I would agree that there is a good chance that your assumption is correct."


He was proven correct when moments later a swarm of Jaffa surrounded them.


"Hey guys, how's it goin'?" Jack quipped.


The Jaffa just glared, not speaking a word.


***********************