Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Have a Little Faith 4: Decisions

by Faith
[Reviews - 2]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Have a Little Faith: Decisions

Have a Little Faith: Decisions

by Faith

TITLE: Have a Little Faith: Decisions
AUTHOR: Faith
EMAIL: angelic_devil21@hotmail.com
CATEGORY: Romance, Angst
PAIRING: Jack/other
SPOILERS: none
SEASON / SEQUEL: 4; Part four in the 'have a little faith' series.
RATING: PG-13
CONTENT WARNINGS: sexual situations
SUMMARY: Jack and Faith have a rough road ahead as Daniel calls in the Tok'Ra and relationships are put to the test. Can they survive?
STATUS: Complete
ARCHIVE: Heliopolis
DISCLAIMER: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. We have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the authors. Not to be archived without permission of the authors.
AUTHOR'S NOTES: Well, this is my first dedication, so here goes&this fic is dedicated to B (and her wonderful flower!). Keep up the good work babe, you have my support, even if I haven't fully turned you in the right direction yet. You know that by the end of the year, I will not only have you writing Stargate fic, but Sam/Daniel ones at that! That aside. Thank you for all the help, love and support -- I needed it! I would also like to say -- Yay, I Won! (not getting to competitive!).
Apologies to all for the amount of time this fic took, along with the stress of exams, first term of college and a new job, I had an added extra. My muse decided to go AWOL for a long time, but now it is back where it belongs, along with a small army that is just is raring to go!
As always the usual apologies to all Teal'c fans, I am trying&honest! Also the promise that there is a bigger and better part to the series coming soon, so stay tuned!
You guys know I love feedback, so Please feed me! *Begs on knees*

RE-CAP(The story so far):-

The Extras(The main new characters.)
* Dr Faith Eliza Hudson: Archaeologist and linguist speaking 32 languages (as far as we know).
* Athena Hudson: 10 year old daughter of Faith, highly intelligent child suffering from terminal cancer.
* Barney and Eddie: Good friends of Faith and Athena's, a gay couple.

The Last Chapter

After the soft and almost preoccupied 'come in' came from inside the office Faith entered, carefully closing the door behind her. Jack was sat at his desk, busy writing what was most likely a mission report on SG-1's last trip. Three days ago they returned from visiting a planet during monsoon season and had returned showing a strong resemblance to a team of drowned rats.

Jack looked up from his nearly complete mission report and pushed himself away from his desk as he heard the door click shut. Faith was walking towards him, a sight he hadn't expected to see after her not very good reaction to his kiss earlier that morning.

Probably wants to slap me!

Faith sat down on in front of Jack, on top of his desk, aware of the look of shock all over his face.

"Hi, I know you're busy, but-"

"Ah, It's okay. Only paperwork."

"I just wanted to apologise."

"Apologise? What for?"

"For this morning. On your roof."

"No, it's me who should be apologising. I shouldn't have done what I did."

"Can I finish please?"

"Sure."

"I wanted to apologise for running off like that. It was very rude of me."

"Like I said, I shouldn't of-"

"I also wanted to ask you something."

"Ask me something?"

"Yes." Faith took a deep breath. "Can I finish what you started?"

"Can you what?" Jack didn't know if his ears were playing tricks on him.

Before faith had time to decide if it was a good idea to say it or not, it was out of her mouth.

"Can I kiss you?"

Not giving him time to answer, Faith leaned forward to gently place her hands on his face and let her lips touch his in a tender kiss. Taking his lack of response as a sign that she shouldn't have done it, she pulled away and stood up. Making her way to the door she mumbled an apology and something about making a terrible mistake. Her head hung in both shame and disappointment.

Jack recovered from the shock of Faith's kiss and leapt out of his seat as he realised she was heading for the door. Taking a hold of her arm, to stop her, he said.

"Wait. Faith-"

"What? Never do that again, never tell anyone that happened? I know the drill-"

"No."

"No? What then?"

"Come here."

Jack almost growled, pulling Faith up against him, his arms wrapping around her tightly, to keep her body pressed against his. Pushing her back against the wall, Jack covered her sweet and warm lips with his own. Wasting no time in slipping his tongue into her mouth, he heard Faith gasp as her tongue came in contact with his. He could feel her tugging at his black shirt in frustration as he kissed her harder, forcing her tongue into the back of her mouth along with his, so he could explore the depths of her mouth.

God I want her! Her body, her lips, her touch.Her.

Right here, right now, I don't care; I can't wait any longer.

Faith could feel Jack's lips pull away from hers, moaning as he kissed his way down her neck, and unable to stand his lips away from hers for any longer, pulled him back up. Her lips pressing against his, her tongue working it's way into his mouth as the kiss intensified and deepend. The whole world was forgotten as Jack reached out and locked his office door, then let his tongue fight back against hers.

Faith could feel Jack's hands slide underneath her shirt, his touch on her bare skin sent waves of electricity through her that made her moan again. She could feel his caress on her hips, her abdomen, her belly, her back, her breasts, her butt, all over her body. Icicles of pleasure shot down Faith's spine, he was making her feel waves of lust like she hadn't done for a long time as his body called to her. She wanted more than his hands on her skin; she wanted his lips to explore her, to feel his body on hers, to have him inside of her.

She wantedhim!

Faith found herself tugging at Jack's shirt again and mentally cursing whoever invented clothing as he pulled at hers. Unable to contain or control herself any longer, Faith dragged her lips away from Jack's just for long enough to pull his shirt over his head. After he had removed hers, his mouth once again covered hers in a burning kiss as Faith snapped off her bra.

Jack's arms slid down Faith's naked back, her bare chest pressed against his, over her butt and down to the backs of her thighs. As she tightened her arms around his neck, he lifted her off the ground, her legs slipping around his hips securely. Carrying her to the back of his office, he laid her down on his bunk and unwilling for their mouths to part, Faith pulled him down on top of her.

"Jack!" She moaned, as their lips parted briefly for air.

"Umm." He mumbled as he covered her mouth with his once again.

"I want you." She managed to say through his lips. "Here, now. I can't wait any longer."

"Neither can I." Jack said between kisses.

And they didn't.

"Finally."

Have a Little Faith: Decisions

Faith laid on top of Jack, her head resting on his chest and a content smile on her lips, covered only by the itchy, standard issue, base blankets. On the bunk in the back of Jack's office there was barely enough room for both of them to lie, but it didn't bother her, she was happy to spend this time snuggled up to him. She let out a long sigh, which changed to a look of confusion as Jacks arms let go of her waist and he began to pull himself out from underneath her.

"Jack?" Faith asked.

Jack said nothing as he pulled on his boxers and fatigue pants.

Faith pulled the blanket up protectively and backed herself up against the wall the bed stood across, her statement hurt and distraught. "God, I know it's been a long time but I didn't think I was bad enough to have that effect."

Jack looked round at her, brief confusion flashing across his rugged features.

Her? God, she thinks she did something wrong? I thought I was the problem for her.

"You?" He questioned sitting down on the bunk in front of her. "Faith, it's been a long time for me too. I thought..." He trailed off, eventually confessing. "I did something wrong. Upset you."

Faith knelt up and shifted over to him, still holding the blanket around her body. "If you upset me, would I do this?" She asked before leaning forward and placing a gentle kiss on Jack's lips.

Faith's eyebrows gently knitted together as she began to ask worried by Jacks lack of response. "Was I...? Did I...?"

Jack responded with a small but caring kiss, she did nothing wrong.

"You just don't seem happy." He eventually said as he gently stroked her soft cheek.

"I just didn't want it to be like this." She explained in a hushed tone of voice.

"Oh." Jack mumbled, his head hanging in what could only be described as shame.

Another mistake you've made towards her to add to the list!

"No." Faith quickly corrected herself reaching out to him, realising how what she said had sounded. Lacing her fingers around his, she explained more carefully. "I didn't picture us together for the first time like this."

Jack studied her and waited for her to explain further.

"Don't get me wrong Jack, I want to be with you. I care about you, a lot. I just didn't want this to be a 'quickie' in the back of the office, and I know it's as much my fault, if not more so. I just wanted it to be special." There was no turning back now; she was going to tell him how she really felt. "I didn't want to have to get up and go back to work like nothing's happened, I wanted to be able to lay in your arms for the rest of the night." Faith looked down at the blanket sheepishly. "I wanted to make love to you Jack."

Jack looked at her for a moment before gently wrapping her in his arms and pulling her against his chest, whispering softly to her. "That's what I want to, that's what I want." Before gently kissing the top of her head.

Faith allowed her arms to work their way around Jacks waist to embrace him back. "You do?"

"Of course I wanted this to be special. I care about you too Faith." He kissed her head again before suggesting. "I have some down time. Why don't you come round to my place, make it special."

Faith nodded before tilting her head upward to kiss him.

"Sounds great."

"Bye mom." Athena said hugging Faith tightly.

"Got everything?"

"Yes mom."

"Your meds?"

"Yes mom."

"Don't forget to take them." Faith warned.

"I won't mom."

"Be good."

"I will mom."

"Don't be rude."

"I won't mom."

"And Athena..."

"Yes mom?" Athena asked exasperated by her mother's persistent mother-henning.

"Have fun."

Athena smiled. "I promise."

"Good." Faith said before taking Athena back into a tight hug.

Standing back up straight, Faith picked up Athena's bag and handed it to Daniel, who stood just inside the doorway, and instructed. "You take good care of her."

Daniel smiled at Faith. "Don't worry, she's in safe hands."

"I know. I just can't help but worry."

"We'll call when we get there and before we leave tomorrow morning. Okay?"

"I'll hold you to that Daniel."

"I know you will." Daniel grinned. "We'll see you about midday tomorrow."

"Sure. Bye."

"Bye." Athena called as Daniel led her down the drive to his car.

Faith stood in the doorway and watched them drive off, she was glad Daniel was doing this, spending proper time with Athena, not just ten-minute chats in the SGC. He was taking her to an exhibition at the Chicago History museum that was in its last week of touring before it returned to Washington. As Chicago was closer, Daniel had decided to go and see it, taking Athena with him so he could have some time to build a 'father-daughter' bond with her. It was 6 am and they were flying out to Chicago that day, seeing the exhibition and returning on a mid-morning flight the next day. Giving Faith plenty of time to herself, grabbing her jacket and bag from the end of the stairs she headed for the open front door.

I hope Jack's up. Of course he'll be up, he's a military man, they don't know the meaning of the word 'lie-in'.

Faith knocked on Jacks front door loudly for the second time before standing back and waiting, looking at her watch impatiently. After what seemed like a lifetime Faith finally heard the chain inside the house being unhooked before the door eventually opened. There stood Jack, fresh from the shower, dressed only in a pair of dark jeans, barefoot and shirtless with sopping wet hair dripping water down on to his chest, with a towel in his hand.

"Hey. Sorry, you caught me in the shower."

"No, my fault entirely. I should've called before I left." Faith apologised.

"You wanna come in?" He asked moving out of the doorway.

"Thought you'd never ask."

Jack waited for Faith to enter the house before looking outside noticing that Athena wasn't with her. "No Athena?"

"Nope." Faith said with a grin.

Shutting the door behind her, Jack dropped the towel in his hand and grabbed a hold of Faiths waist, pulling her into a hard and raw kiss that left her breathless. After letting her bag fall to the floor Faith let her jacket slip off her shoulders and also drop to the ground. Wrapping her arms around Jacks neck she asked.

"Glad to see me?"

Jack grinned mischievously at her; a promise that she would find out before the day was up. "So, how come Athena isn't with you?"

"I wanted you all to myself." Faith said withholding a small giggle as Jacks hands slid underneath her sweater.

"You did?" He questioned, his hands slowly moving up Faiths back as they spoke.

"Umm Hmm."

"Really?" His hands reached the clasp of her bra.

"Uh, no."

His hands slid back down her back. "No?"

"Nope. Athena is with Daniel today."

"When she get back?"

Faith grinned. "Now this is the best part."

"It is?"

Faith leaned up and whispered in Jacks ear. "Tomorrow morning."

Jacks eyebrows raised at the possibilities. "Tomorrow morning?"

Faith nodded before saying in her best flirting voice. "I was just wondering if you had any plans?"

Jack replied solemnly. "Sorry, but I have to spend today in bed, making love to a very intelligent and beautiful young woman."

"And who might that be?" Faith asked in mock jealously.

"Take a guess." Jack said before letting his lips touch Faiths in a soft and gentle kiss.

"It'd better not be that Dr Fraiser." Faith joked pulling Jack back down into a passionate kiss as he lifted her off the ground and carried her into his room.

Athena pulled her belt as tight as it would go and looked over at Daniel who was sat in the seat next to her, awaiting their aeroplanes take-off, with a look of discomfort across his features.

"You okay?" Athena asked.

"Yeah, fine. I just don't like take-off."

Athena smiled at Daniel before putting her small hand on top of his, where it gripped the seat armrest tightly. "I don't like landing."

"You don't?"

Athena shook her head. "Worst part of being on a plane."

Daniel let go of the armrest and clasped Athena's hand. "I don't like landing either."

Athena giggled.

Attempting to take his mid off the imminent take-off of their plane, Daniel asked. "So, how did things go with your mom and Jack?"

"Nowhere." Athena stated grumpily.

"Nothing?"

"Nothing."

"I hate to be rude Athena, but are you sure they just haven't said anything?" Daniel pointed out. He knew that Jack liked to keep his business private and Faith agreed with the philosophy, 'fools rush in', they could be keeping it quiet for a while.

"I have spies. I'd know if anything happened."

"Spies?"

"Uh-huh. There's Janet and the infirmary nurses, Sam, Teal'c, me and Barney and Eddie."

"Quite a little army you've enlisted there."

Athena nodded. "I'm not going to give up you know."

"If you're anything like Faith, I know you won't."

"We're both stubborn." Athena stated.

"I can see that." Daniel laughed.

"But my mom's really stubborn, that's what makes this so hard."

"It does?"

Athena nodded. "She just won't listen, and neither will Jack!"

"What happened to the first day of winter ball? I thought that was your big plan to get them together."

"It was my big plan, and it was also a great big flop!"

"Flop?" Daniel questioned, he could have sworn Jack and Faith had been closer than usual that night.

"Yeah. Jack drove mom straight home as soon as it had finished. See, I told you. Nothing. I haven't seen Jack since, except at the base of course. We usually always go round to his and visit so I can see the dog." Athena explained.

Daniel nodded slowly, what Athena said contradicted with his memories of that night.

As the music ended and Daniel let go of Janet, he couldn't help but notice the slight reluctance to part between Jack and Faith, who stood holding each other for as long as possible without raising suspicions. Daniel watched them, Jack leaning down to talk into Faiths ears above the noise of the teenagers saying goodbye and finding their rides. Faith had that little and subtle flirty smile on her lips and Jack had that happy glint in his eye that Daniel had only seen in hidden away photos of Jack and Sara before Charlie's death. Something had happened between them in the few hours since Athena had left, something unseen and unheard, but something between them had changed, gone up a level. As Daniel watched Jack disappear from the hall, he excused himself from Janet and made his way over to Faith to do a little friendly digging.

"Hey Faith." Daniel greeted as he approached Faith.

"Hey Daniel. Have fun?"

"Yeah. You?"

"It turned out okay in the end." Faith said with a small smile.

"I saw you dancing with Jack. You guys looked close."

"Yeah, I did. He's a nice guy Daniel, you're lucky to have him as a friend."

Nicely avoiding the real question, Daniel thought to himself.

"I am." Daniel stated. "How you getting home? You wanna come in the cab with me, Janet and Sam?"

"No, it's okay. I'm good."

"You are?"

"Yeah. Jack's got the Jeep, he's gonna give me a ride."

"But you're completely out the way for Jack."

"Yeah, we're gonna go get a drink at his. None of this non-alcohol rubbish."

"Oh." Daniel said, an eyebrow raising before he could stop it. Either Faith didn't notice the implication behind his comment and facial statement or she was choosing to ignore it. "Well, have fun." He commented, noticing that Jack was walking towards them, Faiths jacket in hand and his leather jacket already on.

"Thanks." Faith smiled as Jack helped her into her jacket.

"You okay Danny?" Jack asked.

"Fine. I'll see you guys at the SGC tomorrow?"

"Yup." Jack responded. Daniel could instantly tell he was waiting to leave.

Faith seemed not to notice. "Yeah. I'll see you tomorrow."

They finished their goodbyes and Daniel watched them walk away, Jack linking his arm through Faiths as they headed out of the double doors and out of sight. Something was definitely going to happen soon.

Daniel's mind was slowly working over what Athena had been saying and what he knew, something didn't add up. He knew for a fact that Faith had gone to Jack's for a drink as they had spoken about it the next day, yet Athena was positive her mother had gone straight home and her plan had failed. Thinking harder, Daniel realised that both Faith and Jack had been acting very strangely the day after the ball. Daniel had just put it down to tiredness and lack of sleep, but looking back, there could have been something more to it.

Daniel stepped into the elevator and pressed the button for level 21, he needed to speak to Sam and she was most likely going to be in her lab, trying to make her Naquada reactor smaller. It wasn't good enough that she had not only built one, but several that could be used and taken to other planets, she wanted to refine the design so they were smaller, lighter and more portable.

After travelling down one level, the doors opened and Faith stepped into the elevator, an absent statement on her features as she reached over and hit the button for level 24, the infirmary. Daniel studied her for a moment; she was so lost in her thoughts that she hadn't seemed to notice his presence beside her.

"Morning." Daniel said gently, not wanting to startle her too much.

Faith jumped before eventually replying. "Morning."

"Hangover?"

"What?" Faith looked confused, it was obvious from her statement that she was still deep in thought and only listening to him on the surface level.

"You know, your little drink with Jack last night." He made a drinking motion with his hand. "Got a hangover?"

"No. Didn't drink to much, knew I had work to do today."

"Oh."

"Oh?"

"You seem a little distant. Everything okay? You were pretty happy last night, what changed?"

"Just thinking. I'm fine."

"Pretty heavy thinking."

"Yeah. I did something pretty stupid."

"Wanna talk about it?"

The elevator lift pinged. Level 21.

"Er, no. No thanks. I know what I've got to do, I just need to work out how to do it."

"You know where I am if you change your mind." Daniel offered before the elevator doors closed and Faith continued her journey down to level 24.

Only a few minutes later after not finding Sam in her lab, Daniel made his way back to the elevator to check the commissary for her. The elevator doors opened once again and inside he found Jack, who was also going to the commissary, with a dark and angry scowl clouding his features. Daniel bit his bottom lip as he tried to decide whether to try and speak to Jack or not, knowing it could be a dangerous task when he was in this kind of mood. Daniel couldn't help but speculate that it had something to do with Faith, after all she was in an odd mood herself and they had apparently spent at least some of the night together drinking.

"Jack." Daniel greeted carefully.

"Daniel." Jack's voice was almost a growl.

"You okay Jack?"

"Fine." He snapped.

"Oh-Kay."

"I'm fine Daniel." Jack said again, easing his tone a little.

"Because every day you have that look on your face." Daniel pushed sarcastically, he just hoped it would push Jack into telling him what was wrong not punching him.

"I'm fine Daniel. I've just done something I shouldn't have."

"You're not going get in trouble? Are you?"

"Only with myself Daniel, only with myself."

"Can I do anything to help?"

"Turn back time? Perform miracles?"

"Not in my quota Jack. Sorry."

"Ah, it's okay."

"You sure there's nothing I can do?"

"No Daniel. Believe me, there's nothing you can do."

"If you wanna talk-"

"No."

"Jack-"

"No."

Later that day, Daniel had seen both Jack and Faith again, and both for some inexplicable reason had changed mood dramatically. Both were walking around with big smiles on their faces, which was an odd occurrence for Jack, and seemed to be much happier than they had been earlier that day. Daniel had also heard from a few people that Jack had spent over an hour locked in his office and not answering his phone. Jack had said that he'd been breaking regs and having an hours sleep to make up for what he didn't get the night before due to the ball, but the dark bags under his eyes didn't lend much proof to his excuse.

Then it finally struck Daniel with a dawning realisation; he knew what had happened and what was behind all the strange behaviour, and more importantly, why everything was okay between Jack and Faith. But why didn't Athena know, when it was so important to her? Daniel had to speak to Faith.

Jack heard gentle footsteps padding towards where he stood switching on the kettle in his kitchen. When they finally stopped directly behind him two arms slid around his waist and locked tightly as he felt a tickle of warm breath on the back of his neck. He allowed the muscles in his face to pull his lips into a smile, recognising the hands, they belonged to Faith, not that he'd expected them to belong to anyone else. Jack felt her lean towards him and rest the side of her head against him, the warmth of her cheek on his bare back. As she held him closer he could feel the soft cotton of the pyjama top that she had obviously slipped on, that would most likely match the bottoms that he was wearing.

Gently pinging the front of the elastic waist, Faith joked. "Love these. Did you pick them yourself?"

Jack had to bite his bottom lip to refrain from laughing aloud, she did have a good reason to joke. Not being one for wearing pyjamas to bed, Jack owned few pairs and not wanting to walk around naked had pulled out the first pair he could find. They just happened to be the ones that Cassie had very kindly given him several birthdays ago when he was in the infirmary, so he didn't have to wear the horrible gowns. But in her well-meaning, child-like manner, she had brought him blue cotton ones, with WWII style bomber planes on them, because 'he's in the airforce' she had later explained. It had been a very sweet and little girl Cassandra like gesture, but it was also proving to be a very embarrassing one as well.

"Cassie brought them for me."

"Then she has very good taste." Faith said attempting to be serious, knowing how much the little girl meant to him.

Jack finally laughed before saying. "Yeah, something like that."

After a short pause Faith asked. "What you doing?"

"Making a coffee, I was gonna bring it in to you."

"You were?" She sounded happily surprised.

"Yup."

"Wow. It's been a long time since someone brought me coffee in bed."

"Go back in." Jack instructed. "I'll only be a minute."

"I'd rather stay out here and pester you."

Jack could feel Faith's hot breath move from his back up to his shoulder, where her soft lips were suddenly pressed up against his bare skin. She gently dotted her warm and tender kisses all over his left shoulder as he tried to concentrate on making the coffee. Then he heard her breath catch and Jack instantaneously knew why, his back housed one of the worst of his Iraq scars. One that he didn't like to remember receiving and one he knew she hadn't seen. She had studied and respectfully not said anything about the many scars on his chest that came from many places and missions, but Jack knew that none of them compared to the line of damaged tissue down his back. He wanted to turn around and pull Faith into his arms and tell her that it was okay, it was from a long time ago and didn't matter any more, but her tight grip prevented it. After a moment that seemed to last for eternity, he felt Faiths lips gently kissing their way down the scar he knew all too well. When she reached the end, she stood on tiptoes and kissed the nape of his neck before letting her hands slip away from his waist and heading back towards the bedroom.

Shortly following her, Jack put the coffees down and climbed under the heavy winter duvet with Faith, who obviously still wore the pyjama top. Despite having her back to him, Jack had seen enough of her statement to know she was hurting, something about his scar had upset her. He carefully moved over to Faith and underneath the covers he allowed his hands to work their way around her waist so that he could pull her body up against his. She eventually rolled over, looking up at Jack with eyes wet from tears before moving closer to him so that she could nuzzle her head up against his warm, muscular chest.

"I'm sorry." Faith whispered.

"What for?"

"For this. This was supposed to be special."

"And it is. Just tell me what's wrong."

"It's your, it's the...." She trailed off; Jack could feel the tears she was crying on his chest.

"It's nothing."

"No, it's not." She argued.

"Yes it is Faith. It was a long time ago and it wasn't half as bad as it looks." He hoped that she wouldn't be able to tell that he was lying about the last part, after all, it'd been worse.

"Jack, I know how you got that. My sister had one almost identical before she died."

"Faith...." Jack trailed off. He knew that Faith's sister had died due to her work in black ops but she had never elaborated on how, Jack had presumed that she hadn't known the details because of security.

"I never knew the specifics, where she'd been or why, but I knew what they did to her. I know they killed her, even if they didn't get the satisfaction of seeing it for themselves. They knew when they let her go that she'd never survive."

Jack kissed her head; he could feel more tears. "It's okay, it's okay."

"They beat her, they starved her, they pumped her full of chemicals and drugs, they raped her and they whipped her." Faith sobbed.

Now Jack understood why his scar had caused Faith so much pain, there was no mistaking that his scar was from a leather whip, which must have been almost identical to the scars her sister had possessed. "I'm sorry Faith. I'm so sorry."

Faith looked up at him. "No, it's okay. I'm just, just not used to this. I'm the one who should be sorry, I've ruined today."

"No you haven't. I understand." Jack said with a caring smile as he wiped away the tears on Faith's cheek with his thumbs.

"Jack."

"Yes?"

"Make love to me."

Jack shook his head. He wouldn't, not while she was like this.

Faith gently traced the curve of the muscles in Jacks upper arm with her fingertips before saying. "Please."

"Faith-" He began to protest but was interrupted when she placed a gentle kiss on his lips as they moved to form the next word.

"Make love to me." She requested again.

"Are you sure?" Jack asked.

Faith nodded before kissing him again.

Faith made her way to the front door as Daniel's car pulled up into the drive, and opening the door waited for them to get out. She watched Daniel make a comment to Athena accompanied by a strange eyebrow movement that made her daughter giggle before giving him a playful tap on the arm.

Faith gave a mental sigh of relief, everything had gone well, from the looks of things. Her biggest fear had been that they would come back not speaking and hating each other. She knew it had been unrealistic but the fear had been there all the same, after all, they barely knew each other. They had spent so little time together over the 10 years of Athena's life, letting them go away on their own had been risky at best. Faith dismissed all her worries as Athena ran up the drive and pulled her mother into a tight and affectionate hug.

"Hey sweetie. Have fun?" Faith asked, placing a kiss on her daughter's head.

"Yeah it was great."

"Glad to hear it. Did you learn much."

"Loads." She smiled wickedly. "And Daniel told me loads of embarrassing stories about you."

"Did he now?" Faith asked looking up at Daniel.

"Uh-huh." Athena nodded.

"Would I do a thing like that?" Daniel asked Faith as he tried to look innocent.

Athena and Faith looked at each other and said in unison before laughing.

"Yes!"

"Okay, you can inform me of what Daniel's been telling you after you go get sorted. Put your dirty stuff in the basket and put the rest of your stuff away." Faith instructed.

"Okay mom." Athena said taking her bag from Daniel and starting her way up the stairs.

"You hungry sweetie?"

Athena stopped on the stairs and nodded at her mother.

"Why don't we get a pizza, I haven't got much in."

"Sure."

"You wanna stay Daniel?" Faith asked looking at him.

"That'd be nice."

"Come on in then." Faith said leading Daniel through to the kitchen.

Daniel studied Faith as she riffled through some leaflets for the number of the pizza delivery, his head titled in concentration. He eventually said.

"There's something different about you, I just can't work out what."

"Different?" Faith asked looking up from the pile of papers as Daniel continued his highly concentrated visual inspection.

"You're...you're glowing." He finally stated.

"I'm what?" Faith asked unable to stop the nervous laugh that followed, she knew where the subtle change in her demeanour came from and she wished that Daniel hadn't picked up on it.

Daniel took her arm and led her further into the kitchen and away from any possible earshot of Athena. "You're glowing." He stated again, this only confirming the realisation he had received on the aeroplane when flying to Chicago.

"Have you slept with Jack?" He added in a hushed tone of voice.

"Daniel?" Faith questioned, a little too loudly, in shock. How could Daniel possibly know? And more importantly, where did he get the nerve to ask her that kind of question?

"Have you?" He persisted.

"No I haven't." She lied firmly.

"You have, haven't you? You slept with Jack."

Faith glared at Daniel, he made it sound like an accusation, something she shouldn't have done. She hissed back at him.

"Daniel, if I had slept with Jack,if!How would it be any of your business? What I do is up to me, and that includes who I may or may not have slept with."

"It is when you're keeping it from Athena."

"I'm not keeping anything from Athena!" Faith said angrily, yet perfectly controlling the volume of her voice.

It was Daniel's turn to get angry. "Don't lie to me Faith, I know you've already lied to her."

"When have I lied to her?"

"The ball. Only a few days ago you told her that you came straight home after it."

Faith looked sheepish and admitted softly. "Okay. I lied to her about that."

"Why?" Daniel asked as he watched Faith's eyes lower to the floor.

"Because I couldn't tell her the truth."

"Why?"

"Because I was tired and upset, and it was easier to tell her that nothing happened rather than tell her the truth." Her voice ached with pain. From the moment Jack had walked over to her in the hall and cracked a joke at her, that evening had been perfect. That was of course, up until she had ruined it by running away from him when he had kissed her on the roof of his house after they had spent all night talking and watching the sunrise. She didn't like to think about it, if she had stayed and kissed him back then they wouldn't have ended up ravaging each other in the back of Jack's office, which left her feeling ashamed that she'd done such a sluttish thing. She wouldn't deny that she had enjoyed it immensely and that it had relieved enough sexual tension between them to power the base for a month, but it didn't change the fact that the location and timing of it all made her feel like a common harlot.

Faith looked up at Daniel who was evidently waiting for her to continue and explain, she let out a long sigh before she did.

"You know I went back to Jack's and we had a couple of drinks. We ended up sat on his roof and we talked and then watched the sunrise." Faith paused. "Then he kissed me."

"Jack kissed you?" Daniel questioned.

Faith nodded. "And then I ran away."

"Ran away?"

Faith nodded again. "I came straight home and then Barney told me what an idiot I was being and I felt stupid, plain and simple. So I lied to her, thinking I had blown my only chance, there was no point getting her excited over nothing." Her eyes narrowed slightly as she looked at Daniel. "Is that enough."

"I want you to tell me the truth Faith. Have you slept with Jack?"

"What do you want to know that for?"

"Have you?"

"Why?"

"Have you?"

"What do you want me to say Daniel? Yes I have slept with Jack. Do you want me to tell how you I spent last night with him? How wemade loveso many times I lost count and when it came to getting out of bed two hours ago, I could barely walk? Or do you want me to tell you how the morning after the ball I went into Jack's office to apologise for running away from him and I slept with him in there?"

"No Faith." Daniel said moving closer to her, trying not to look phased by her quiet outburst. "I want to know why you haven't told Athena when you know this means so much to her."

"It's because this means so much to her that I haven't told her andwedon't intend to."

"What?" Daniel asked in disbelief.

"Daniel, right now there is no stability in this relationship and there is a high chance that it won't work. And if it does fail, then we can just get on with our lives with out affecting Athena, because right now she is in no condition to see something she wants so badly failing."

Daniel studied her, the anger in the depth of his eyes slowly lessening.

"I've spoken to Jack about this and he agrees. It's stays between us for now. If it works, we tell her, if it doesn't she's none the wiser. Itdoesmake sense."

Daniel nodded. "You are going to tell her, aren't you?"

"If it works out I intend on shouting it from the rooftops."

"It's good to see you happy Faith."

"You're not going to say anything?"

Daniel shook his head. "Secrets safe, for now."

"Thank you." Faith said grabbing a hold of Daniel and pulling him into a tight and affectionate hug, planting a friendly kiss on his cheek.

Faith quickly pulled her lips away from Daniel and released him as she heard Athena's distinctive footsteps on the kitchens wooden floor. Faith looked round at her daughter and tried to gauge her possible reaction, the scene she had walked in on gave a very wrong impression of her and Daniel's current relationship. She watched a brief confusion flash across her daughters young features before she ran over to her, completely ignoring everything she had seen as if she hadn't.

"Thanks mom." Athena exclaimed happily as she wrapped her arms around her mother's waist and hugged her tightly.

"For what sweetie?" Faith said attempting to focus on the situation at hand and not arouse her daughter's suspicions further.

"The hockey stick." Athena beamed up at her.

"The hockey stick?" Faith questioned her mind involuntarily wondering how much her daughter heard and saw and more importantly what she thought was going on.

"The one upstairs. In my room."

"Oh, the hockey stick. Right." Faith said realising what Athena was talking about. "That's okay sweetie."

"Hockey stick?" Daniel questioned with raised eyebrows.

"Jack's teaching me how to play ice hockey. It's getting too cold to play it in the street." Athena told him.

"And you can't play hockey without a hockey stick." Faith added.

"Jack's teaching you to play hockey?" Daniel asked Athena, trying not to sound to shocked or unhappy about it.

Athena nodded not picking up on the underlying message of his question.

"What can I say? I'm a bad mother." Faith joked. "I can teach my daughter the lost languages of earth but I can't teach her how to play hockey."

Athena giggled before saying. "You're a great mom, but how did you know which to buy."

"I didn't." Faith confessed. "Jack picked it and I gave him the money for it. I collected it this morning."

Athena looked up at Faith. "Can we go round to Jack's today? All of us?"

Faith stalled for a moment before saying. "No sweetie. Not today."

"Why not?" Athena whined.

"Because you've had a very busy couple of days, in fact you've had a very busy week. I want you to spend the rest of today in bed after we've got the pizza."

"Oh." Athena pouted.

"Have a good days rest today and I'll think about seeing if we can go round tomorrow."

"Yay." Athena hugged Faith.

"Now say 'thank you' to Daniel for taking you to Chicago and go up and get ready for bed."

Athena ran across the kitchen to Daniel who lifted her up off the ground and hugged her back as she wrapped her arms tightly around his neck. Athena kissed him on the cheek before saying. "Thank you for the trip. It was great."

"That's okay. I had fun too." He kissed her on the forehead. "Now go get ready for bed then."

Athena nodded as Daniel put her down and watched her run out the kitchen and to the stairs, eventually turning round to look at Faith.

"Are you okay Daniel?" Faith asked him.

"Fine." He said a little to sharply.

"Daniel?"

"I'm fine Faith." He said easing his tone.

Faith didn't look convinced. "I'll speak to Athena, make sure she doesn't get the wrong idea about us. And we can talk about whatever's getting to you when you're ready." Faiths tone then suddenly went from serious to overly cheerful. "So. What do you want on this pizza?"

Faith walked along the SGC corridor at a gentle pace, her standard issues black boots making soft thumping sounds on the clean floor. When she eventually reached Colonel O'Neill's office she knocked gently on the closed door and called his name. Without waiting for an answer she opened the door and crossed the threshold, watching him look up from his large pile of paper work she said.

"Good morning Colonel O'Neill."

They could both hear the loud thumping of the boots of several Airman as they walked past the office, the door to which stood wide open.

"Good Morning Dr Hudson."

"I was wondering if you could spare me a few minutes. There's something I need to discuss with you."

"Of course." Jack said nodding, the footsteps no longer in their hearing range.

"Good." Faith said closing the door.

Jack stood up from where he sat at his desk and made his way over to Faith, stopping so there were only inches between them he put his hands on her hips and said. "So, we're on formal terms now?"

Faith pulled away from his grip, widening the distance between them. "Jack. I thought we agreed. No raising suspicions."

"Sorry." He replied trying to be serious as he moved closer to her again.

This time Faith didn't move away from him as he put his arms around her waist and held them there, his hands locked together at the small of her back.

"So, Dr Hudson." Jack said smiling at her. "What was it you wanted to discuss with me?"

"I was serious about that Jack." Faith told him. "There is something that we need to talk about."

Jack flinched and pulled back from her slightly. He didn't like the sound of this. "Faith?"

"I saw Daniel the other day. After I came back from your place."

"And?"

"He knows."

"Knows what?"

"About us."

"About us?" Jack exclaimed, shocked. "For crying out loud Faith. You were the one who didn't want anyone to find out."

Faith's eyebrows knitted together angrily as she reached up to Jack and slapped him, her hand stinging from the force of it, which had been more than she had intended. "And you agreed it was a good idea. It wasn't my fault."

Jack's face stung and he knew the slap had left his cheek glowing red, shocked by the fact that Faith had done it and the force of the blow he gingerly rubbed the affected area.

"He worked it out for himself. Do you think I enjoyed Daniel asking me if I had slept with you?" Faith continued angrily.

"Daniel just asked you?" Jack asked in disbelief, it didn't sound like Daniel.

"Yes. But that's not important. He knows and he's said he won't say anything for now."

"That all?" Jack asked.

"Yeah."

Faith looked at Jack who had stopped rubbing his cheek, which now held a distinctively bright red slap mark and reached up for it. Jack easily caught her wrist in his hand and stopped her from reaching his cheek, making sure that she could do him no more damage.

"I hurt you." She said quietly.

"Ya think?" Jack replied sarcastically.

"I'm sorry. You made me mad." Faith told him as she pulled her hand away from him and gently brushed her fingers over the slap mark. "Does it hurt?"

Jack nodded. "Remind me not to piss you off again."

Taking a step closer to him Faith leant forward on her tiptoes and softly kissed the afflicted cheek. "Better?" She asked.

Lowering his head so that his forehead rested against hers Jack replied.

"A little."

Faith smiled, gently pressing her lips against Jack's in a quick kiss and in response Jack put a hand on her cheek and pulled her back to him, his lips on hers in a long, lingering kiss. When they eventually broke contact, Jack pulled her back to him once more and ran his tongue across Faith's lips until she gave into him and allowed him access to her mouth. Pressing his body against hers, Jack pulled Faith into a deep and passionate kiss, her tongue playing against his own. Finally pulling away for breath Faith gave him another quick kiss before asking again.

"Better?"

"Much."

Faith gave him another quick kiss before saying. "I have work to do. Come over tonight?"

Jack kissed her back. "Will you make it worth my while?"

Faith smiled. "You'll just have to come round and find out."

"Faith?" Daniel asked knocking on the door, which held a new sign stating 'Dr F. Hudson' before sticking his head around the door. Inside he found Faith hunched over her desk, her lamp on full shining onto the book and stone slab she was studying with a powerful magnifying glass. "Faith?" He said again.

Faith looked up, surprised by Daniel's voice. "Hey Daniel. Didn't hear you come in."

"You looked pretty engrossed."

"Guess I was."

"What are you working on?"

"Stone slab withverysmall engravings. SG-13 brought it back from PD5 471, planet was completely deserted. They thought this might help."

"Is it?"

"Don't know yet. I only just identified the language."

"Old?"

"Old. Rare. Lost for many centuries. The usual thing to leave me with a normal day at the office."

Daniel laughed. "Can your normal day spare me a minute or two?"

"Sure. Why?"

"There's something I want to talk to you about."

"What's that."

Before Daniel could answer the internal alarm system sounded, a voice calling over the tanoy. "Unauthorised off world Gate activation."

"It's about that."

"That?" Faith asked suspicious of what Daniel was up to, the phrase 'unauthorised' springing to mind.

"We need to go to the gate room." Daniel told her, taking her arm to lead her out of her office.

Faith pulled away from Daniel. "Daniel. What's this about? Who's coming through the gate?"

"Some one we need to talk to."

Faith and Daniel arrived in the Gate room just as the Iris opened and two figures dressed in heavy sand coloured robes stepped out of the liquid event horizon. Daniel rushed forward to the end of the ramp to greet them as they pulled back the hoods of their robes to reveal two faces he knew well, two faces Faith had never seen. Remaining near the door Faith watched Daniel welcome them and thank them for coming so soon and she knew that he had called them here, but who they were and why, she didn't know and didn't like being in the dark.

General Hammond then came through the door, followed by the rest of SG-1, and headed over to the two guests, saying. "Jacob. Anise. Welcome back to the SGC. What is this unexpected visit in aid of?"

Jack who was stood not too far away from her muttered something under his breath that Faith instantly knew was not pleasant and her guard went up, he didn't trust these people. Yet all the other's seemed to be glad to see them, Daniel relieved that they had arrived and Sam glad to see the man called Jacob, whom she instantly hugged.

"Dr Hudson." Hammond snapped Faith out of her thoughts and called her over to the bottom of the ramp where every one had gathered. "I don't believe you've met Anise or Jacob yet."

Faith shook her head. "No. I haven't."

"Anise and Jacob are members of the Tok'Ra and are the liaisons with earth. General Jacob Carter was the first person from earth to become a Tok'Ra host."

"Carter?" Faith looked at Sam.

"Yep. Sam's my little girl." Jacob said hugging his daughter again before saying. "It's been a while Sam."

"I know. It's good to see you dad." Sam replied a large smile on her lips.

"It's good to see you too."

"Have you read any of the information on the Tok'Ra yet Doctor?" Hammond asked turning back to Faith.

"Some, though Dr Jackson has told me quite a lot."

"Good."

"George, you've introduced us to her, but not her to us." Jacob said walking over to Hammond and Faith.

"Faith Hudson, Sir." Faith cut in, offering Jacob her hand.

Jacob looked at her. "No salute? I'm still a General."

Faith smiled as Jack came up and stood beside her informing Jacob.

"Not Air Force Jacob. Not even Military. We're ordering another 'genius at work' sign to go on her office." Jack joked.

"Dr Hudson has been a civilian with the program for several weeks now. She's working with Dr Jackson, the rest of the archaeological staff and SG-1." Hammond explained.

"You are an archaeologist?" Anise questioned.

"More of a linguist, but yeah. I'm archaeologist."

"So Jacob, Anise. What brings you to Earth?"

"We came about Dr Jackson's message about a possible host." Anise explained.

"Possible host?" Sam asked in confusion, she didn't understand who Daniel could be offering a possible Tok'Ra.

"He what?" Jack exclaimed in equal shock.

"Dr Jackson, would you care to explain." Hammond ordered rather than asked.

Daniel was about to reply when Faith walked over to him, the look of pure anger in her eyes told him that she knew what he had in mind and she was not happy about it. When Faith stopped in front of Daniel, she simply raised her hand and slapped him with twice as much force as she had done to Jack, the sound echoing around the now silent room.

"How dare you." Faith hissed before turning on her heals and stalking silently out of the Gate room.

Jack looked at Daniel instantly knowing what Daniel had done and said angrily. "Tell me youdidn'tDaniel!"

"Jack I-" Daniel began.

Jack knew what Daniel was going to say, it was written all over his face.

"Shut up Daniel!" Jack snapped. "I didnotthink you werethatstupid."

"Dad, Anise, why don't we go get a coffee?" Sam asked, knowing from the look on both Daniel and the Colonels face's that they were about to come to head to head and it wouldn't be a good thing to see.

"I thought we were here to discuss a possible host?" Anise questioned un-diplomatically.

"Shut up Anise." Jacob snapped. Even he could see that this was not a good time to be bringing that up?

"Finally! Thank you Sir." Jack exclaimed before storming out of the Gate room.

"Colonel O'Neill!" Hammond shouted after him, knowing he would understand that it was an order to return not a request. O'Neill did not respond and Hammond called him again. "Colonel O'Neill!"

Jack didn't look back.

Daniel ran out the Gate room door after Jack, a look of confused anger across his features as he stopped in the corridor and called down it.

"Jack!"

"Leave it Daniel." Jack snapped as he continued walking, not looking back.

"No. I won't leave it Jack."

Jack stopped and Daniel ran down the corridor to him, taking Jack's arm he forced him to turn around and look at him. Jack made no comment on the gesture or made a move to fight against it, but the look in his eyes told Daniel that he wasn't happy about it and he was close to going one step to far.

"I said leave it Daniel." Jack's statement still said more than his tone of voice.

"You think I did the wrong thing." Daniel stated.

"Yes Daniel, I think you did the wrong thing."

"Why? Why was calling in the Tok'Ra wrong? Is trying to save my daughter wrong? She's mydaughterJack. Do you expect me to stand around and watch her die!" Daniel said his voice nearing a shout as his anger grew, Jack's attitude fuelling him.

"No Daniel. I don't. Believe it or not I understand. I know what you're feeling right now, how it feels to know your only child is about to die and there isnothingyou can do to stop it!" Jack shouted back.

"But Jack, you just don't get it. Do you? There is something I can do. The Tok'Ra can save her." The volume of Daniel's voice lowered but the anger was still ever persistent.

"That's what you call it? Saving her!"

"Yes Jack, that's exactly what I call it. No matter how you look at it, she'll be alive. She'll be cured."

"And she'll be stuck in the body of a ten year old for the rest of her life!" Jack shouted back at Daniel.Boy, he just didn't get it. Did he?"Did you think about that Daniel? How no matter how old her mind gets she's always gonna look like a little girl, she's never going to grow up."

"And how is she going to grow up if she dies?" Daniel screamed his face red with anger.

Jack looked at the floor. There was no answer to that question that he could bring himself to say, in his mind death was the better option of the two.

"It's a future Jack." Daniel said quietly.

Jack lifted his head to stare Daniel in the face. "Is it?"

"Yes!" Daniel shouted in rage. "Why can't you see that Jack?"

"It's what I think Daniel. I'm sorry if you don't agree with that, but I don't see the Tok'Ra as an option." Jack replied, getting angry again.

"What does that matter Jack? This has nothing to do with you!"

"Daniel." Jack growled. Daniel was very close to crossing the line.

"This is between me, Faith and Athena. Not you Jack."

"It is when you start hiding things Daniel. Are you going to tell them the bad sides of being a Tok'Ra? Are Jacob and Anise?"

"No Jack, you're wrong. No matter what's said this is nothing to do with you."

"I care about her Daniel!" Jack shouted in pure anger. "That makes it to do with me!"

"No it doesn't Jack. She ismydaughter and it's about time you realised that!"

"What?" Jack shouted in shock. What was Daniel going on about?

"I'm her father Jack and it's about time you stopped trying to take my place!"

"I'm doing what?"

"You know what you're doing Jack. Buying her a dog, taking her out, teaching her to play hockey. You're trying to be her father Jack and I'm not going to stand and watch you do it any more."

"For God's sake Daniel. I am not trying to be her father; I'm not trying to take your place. I could never do that! Even if I wanted to which I don't I couldn't. Daniel, no one could replace you because Athena wants you to be her father. She isn't looking for any one else! Me. I admit she's an amazing kid. Who wouldn't? I just want to spend some time with her, get to know her."

"No Jack. You don't want to get to know her. You want to make up for the past." Daniel was too angry with Jack to let this go now, not now he knew what Jack was doing, what he was trying to do.

"What are you talking about Daniel?"

"You know what I'm talking about Jack. You're trying to make up for what happened to Charlie with Athena."

A mixture of pure pain and anger flared in Jack's eyes, his voice nearly breaking as he shouted back at Daniel. "This isn't about Charlie and you know it!"

"Isn't it Jack? You're trying to play the perfect father with Athena and do the thing you never did with Charlie. You're trying to ease your guilt and usingmydaughter for it!" Daniel was in a pure rage now and he was prepared to say everything he had on his mind.

Jack's fist were balled tightly, his short nails digging into his palm so hard it wouldn't of surprised him if he'd drawn blood in attempt to keep his anger under control. He was also trying even harder not to knock Daniel into last week, which every part of his brain told him to do.

He shouldn't have brought Charlie into this.

Jack knew that he couldn't respond to Daniel, not without using his fists, his cold and hard glare at Daniel radiating the unspoken hate that his comment had caused. As usual, the pain also caused by his words was being pushed so far down inside of him that if it weren't gnawing away at his insides, he wouldn't even know it was there.

Jack turned and walked away from Daniel in silence, there was nothing more left, unsure that what had just happened could ever be mended, on either side. As he made his way to the elevator, Jack noticed that Athena had been stood at the end of the corridor with Dr Fraiser, and from the looks on their faces, they had witnessed it all. Just as Hammond, Carter, Jacob and Anise had, the looks of disappointment at both him and Daniel had been evident as he had turned away, angry that the two best friends had fuelled each other. Also unsure that they could ever be mended after the harsh words and accusations that had passed between them, uncertain that even their strong friendship could survive this trial.

Once inside the elevator Jack allowed his fists to un-curl to press the button for level 10. Boy was the base punching bag going to get the brunt of his anger; it was going to be a long day.

Faith strode in Daniel's office without even bothering to knock, she didn't care what he was doing, he was going to listen to what she had to say whether he liked it or not. She had spent the last hour in the infirmary trying to calm herself down, to no avail, she was filled with pure rage and knew she was rushing in like a bull in a china shop. But nothing was going to stop her.

After her rather grand and effective exit from the gate room she had proceeded to go up to the surface of Mount Cheyenne to get some well needed air and perspective. When she had eventually gone back down into the heart of the complex she had gone straight to the infirmary to see Athena. Once there, Janet had pulled her aside and explained about the argument between Colonel O'Neill, relaying it for her almost word for word, upon request. Faith's insides ached, she knew ultimately she was to blame for the whole situation and was determined to try and bring the two friends back together, but she had a more pressing issue to deal with. The matter of Daniel calling in the Tok'Ra without discussing it with her, or even telling her, and even more so what she was planning to do about them and Athena.

"Daniel." Faith snapped angrily at him as he looked up from the computer screen he was sat typing at.

"Faith." He said nervously, rightly worried whether he was going to receive another slap, or worse.

"Believe me Daniel, if I wasn't a person who doesn't believe in solving problems through violence, I would have shot you by now."

"My cheek says otherwise."

"And if you're not careful Daniel, the other one'll be saying the same thing."

Daniel looked sheepish, his mouth was two steps in front of his head and with Faith in her current mood, it wasn't a good thing. "Sorry."

His meek attempt at an apology was no where near what she wanted to hear and was certainly not going to prevent her from saying what she planned on.

"How dare you." Faith hissed. "How dare you do this and then try and paint me into the wrong. I was well within my rights Daniel and you are damn lucky that you didn't get any worse, because you deserved it. A meek apology may have worked on me in the past, but not this time. You are going to sit down and listen to what I have to say and you are going to listen good, because what you did was wrong!"

"I knew it! I knew you'd agree with Jack. How was trying to save my daughter the wrong thing to do?"

"I don't give a sodding damn about the Tok'Ra! What I give a damn about is the fact that you are making decisions aboutmydaughter without even telling me, let alone consulting my opinion!"

"I was going to speak to you."

"Yeah, just before they walked through the gate! You should have told me Daniel. Not that you'd contacted them, but that you were thinking about it! God dammit Daniel, you had no right to do that, none what-so-ever!"

"She's my daughter too Faith. I'm trying to what's right!"

"You have no idea what is right!" Faith screamed at Daniel, her eyes slowly filling with tears. "You have no idea! Where were you Daniel, huh? Where were you for the last 10 years of her life? What were you doing when I was sat listening to the doctor in Egypt tell me that my baby-girl had cancer? Where were you while I watched my only child vomit, scream and cry in pain because of the Chemotherapy that wasn't helping? What have you done for her that gives you any knowledge on what is right for her where this illness is concerned?"

"Faith I-" Daniel began.

"No Daniel. Not another word. You were wrong. It doesn't matter that your heart was in the right place, that you thought you were helping. You should have spoken to me, you should have told me what you were planning. This is not your decision to make, it never has been and never will be."

"But it is yours?"

"No." Faith snapped. "Of course it is not my decision. It's Athena's. Not mine, not yours, not Jack's, nobodies but hers. Understand?"

Daniel nodded.

"Athena will listen to the Tok'Ra and what they have to say. She will decide. It's her body, her fate and her choice and we will say nothing to influence her decision. Got that?"

"Yes." Daniel quietly.

"Don't pull a stunt like this again Daniel or I might not be so good at forgiving."

And then Faith was gone.

Around the large SGC briefing room table sat Faith, Athena, Daniel, Hammond, Jacob, Anise, Sam and Teal'c, all had noted that despite being contacted to allow him to put his view forward, Colonel O'Neill had not attended, his chair sitting empty. For the last hour Athena and Faith had been in discussion with Jacob/Selmak and Anise/Freya, all of which had sung the praises of being a Tok'Ra, especially Jacob who had also been suffering from terminal cancer. Athena gave no indication to what she believed to be the best course of action for herself as she questioned them about what it was like and the process involved. She eventually ended up at the point of questioning everyone knew would be brought up, the statements that Jack had made in his argument with Daniel.

Athena took a long pause and deep breath before she broached the subject, eventually asking.

"Is it true?"

"Is what true?" Anise asked. "All we have said has been the truth."

"What Jack said. Is it true?"

"Ah." Jacob said, he had a feeling that this was what she had meant.

"Is it?" Athena persisted.

"Yes." Anise said bluntly.

"I'm sorry kid. Colonel O'Neill has a point, but then again, so do we." Jacob told her.

"Colonel O'Neill's summarisation of the down side of becoming a Tok'Ra was not entirely accurate. You would not have the body of a child forever, but growth with a Tok'Ra symbiot is extremely decelerated." Anise explained.

Jacob interjected. "What Anise is trying to say is that you would grow up but it would be a least a hundred or so years before you reached a physical state similar to your moms, maybe even longer."

"So." Athena said giving another pause. "What you're basically telling me is that I'm gonna be 10 years old for the rest of my life? Or something pretty much like it."

"Your body may be hindered in its growth but your mind will expand by great capacities. You will learn faster and you will hold all the knowledge of your symbiot and it's previous hosts." Anise explained.

"Which among other things is icky." Athena said before returning to her serious manner. "How am I supposed to be taken seriously?"

"How do you mean?" Jacob asked.

"If I'm 50 and I look like I'm say 12, how am I going to be taken seriously? How are the others going to be able to look at me and see an intelligent 50 year old person rather than a 12 year old girl?"

"I admit it would be difficult, but the Tok'Ra would understand." Anise told her.

"That's all I have to ask." Athena said looking at them both in turn then her mother and General Hammond.

"You can have as long as you want. I understand that this is a difficult decision for you." Jacob offered.

Athena looked at Faith. "What do you think mom?"

"I think that you should do what you're comfortable with."

Athena raised her eyebrows. "Don't avoid the question. What do you think I should do? What would you have me do?"

"I'm not avoiding the question. I'm telling you what I think you should do. I think this is your decision to make and nobody else's. What I think doesn't matter. And neither does any body else, not Daniel and not Jack. This is about you and your future. Only you can decide what you do with it. If I or any body else influence your decision then you may end up regretting what action you did or didn't take."

"Thanks mom." Athena smiled at Faith before turning back to every one else in the briefing room. "I know what I'm going to do."

Every pair of eyes on the room focused in on her in anticipation.

"I'm sorry Jacob, Anise. I don't want to become a Tok'Ra."

"Why not?" Anise asked bluntly.

"Because I'm ready to die. I don't want the kind of life the Tok'Ra can offer me, everything that I want from my life are the things that you can't give me and what you can is what I don't want."

"I understand." Jacob told her. "We will return to Vorash soon."

"Thank you for the offer and your understanding." Athena told both him and Anise before turning to Faith. "Mom. Can I speak to you alone? When everybody's gone?"

"Sure sweetie, of course."

"So sweetie, what do you want to talk about?" Faith asked Athena when everybody had left.

"He wasn't here." Athena replied cryptically.

"Who?"

"Jack."

"I didn't expect him to be Sweetie."

"Because of the argument?"

"Yeah. I think it was probably best that he wasn't there. It gives him and Daniel time to cool down."

Athena nodded.

"You knew how he felt and what he had to say."

"I know. I'm just worried."

"Worried? Why? What about?"

"Jack. I don't know if him and Daniel are ever going to be friends again and he looked really upset when he left."

"I don't know if they're going to make up either. I hope they do. But I think that it's really up to Daniel. You should have a talk with him Athena and set the record straight. I don't know if it'll work but you should talk to him anyway. Let him know that you wouldn't let Jack take you away from him, that he's your father and irreplaceable."

"What about Jack?"

"What about him?"

"Someone should go and find him. Make sure he's okay after what Daniel said about his son."

"Ahh. I think I should come with you."

"I think I should go and talk to Daniel on my own. You go and talk to Jack."

"Bu-"

"He's in the gym."

Before Faith could complain again Athena was gone from the briefing room.

Faith found Jack where Athena had promised, working out in the gym, his hands gloved as he ferociously attacked the punch bag that hung from the ceiling. As he didn't notice her enter the gym, Faith stood for a long time watching him, each hit full of precision force and definite anger. Jack was dressed only in his fatigue pants and black boots, his black shirt and Jacket sat in a pile on the floor near where she stood. His face and body were covered in a film of sweat, he'd probably not stopped since his fight with Daniel, and as Faith studied his face she wasn't sure if she saw beads of sweat or tears rolling down his cheeks. As he slowly began to wind down Faith decided to make her presence known and announced herself with a small cough in the back of her throat, just loud enough for him to hear.

Jack looked round.

"Faith?"

Faith gave a small wave of her hand but gave no move to cross the room to him. "Hi."

Jack caught the punch bag as it swung back, stopping it from hitting him.

"What's up?"

"Athena met with the Tok'Ra."

"I know." Jack muttered.

"But you..." Faith trailed off, taking a deep breath and a long pause before she found the words to continue. "She's not going with them."

"What?" Jack looked up at her in shock.

"She said thanks, but no thanks."

Jack studied Faith. There was definitely something behind her appearance of simple weariness and shock, something he couldn't place his finger on and knew she would deny. Instead he asked. "Wanna talk about it?"

"No." Faith answered quietly.

"You sure?"

Faith nodded before saying, "I'm not ready. Not yet."

"Okay."

There was a long pause that Faith eventually broke, unable to stand the silence for a second more.

"She thought you would've been there."

"It was best that I wasn't."

"That's what I told her. I don't think it would have done the situation any more good to see you and Daniel argue again."

"You heard?"

"Janet filled me in."

"Athena wasn't meant to see." Jack said quietly.

"I know she wasn't." Faith said slowly making her way towards him.

"I'm sorry."

"It's okay."

Jack looked at her, his deep brown eyes intense as they locked with Faiths as she stood directly in front of him. "It wasn't true."

Jacks statement became pained as he pulled his gaze away from Faiths.

"What Daniel said wasn't true."

"I know it wasn't." Faith soothed. "The only person you need to convince is him."

"I'm not trying to take her away from him, and I'm not trying to..." Jack trailed off, his head hanging, unable to complete what he was saying.

"It's okay." Faith said quietly as she took another step towards Jack, gently placing her hand on his arm, still damp with sweat.

Jacks head raised slightly, definite tears in his eyes. "I'm not using her to make up for what happened to Charlie. I can't make up for that, ever. I just wanted to..."

Faith watched Jack's sentence slowly trail off, the tears he could no longer hold back rolling down his face as he choked back sobs. Uncertain of what she could say, Faith simply took another step forward and pulled Jack into her arms, his head resting on her shoulder as his gloved hands held around her waist. Gently rubbing her hand up and down his bare back Faith softly soothed him, as she would a small child, as Jack sobbed into her neck.

"I didn't want this." Jack mumbled, his voice muted by the tears and Faiths neck.

"I know you didn't." Faith kissed the top of Jack's head. "Nobody did."

"Daniel hates me."

"No he doesn't. You should no better than that, I know I do."

"I don't want him to hate me. He's my best friend."

"And he doesn't. He's just a little mad right now. All he needs is some time to cool down and realise that he's just being silly."

Jack hugged Faith tightly against him. "I would never do that to Daniel. I would never take away something that precious, and believe me I know it is. I just wanted to be with you. Both of you, you're special." Jack removed his head from Faiths shoulder and looked into her now tear-filled eyes and said. "I love you Faith."

Faith blinked and two tears rolled down her cheeks. "You what?"

"Don't cry. I love you."

Faith let out a shaky breath. "You can't love me." Her stomach was dancing around her insides and she could barely speak.

"But I do."

"Well, it's probably a good thing."

"It is?"

"Yeah. Considering."

"Considering?"

"I love you."

Jack studied Faith for a moment, what she has said taking it's time to fully register in his mind before he gently kissed her. Faith responded immediately, her hand reaching up to the nape of his neck to pull him back to her as she intensified the kiss. Holding Jack tightly against her as the passion of the kiss grew her lips pressed against his as their tongues intertwined, grabbing gasps of air as they parted briefly.

When Jack eventually pulled away from Faith he took a deep breath before speaking softly. "We shouldn't be doing this."

"Why not?" Faith asked moving to kiss him again.

"There are security camera's in here. Anyone could walk in."

"I don't care Jack. I don't care who sees us, who knows."

Faith pulled Jack back to her lips for a brief but intense kiss.

"Go talk to Daniel. Tell him what you told me. I don't know whether it'll do any good right now, but give it time. He'll think about it and he'll cool down and he'll be fine."

"You think so?"

Faith placed a gentle kiss on Jacks lips before saying. "I know so." Wiping the remaining tears from his face she instructed. "Now go shower."

Athena knocked tentatively on the closed door of Daniel's office, knowing it didn't take a genius to work out that he wasn't impressed by the events of the last few hours. Daniel's short, angry and gruff response from inside confirmed it.

"Go 'way!"

Athena ignored his disgruntled instruction and opened the door anyway, carefully stepping inside and waiting for Daniel to look up and see it was her. When he eventually did and realised that it washer, his dark and angry statement melted away into a concerted effort at a warm smile that Athena could see straight through.

"Hi dad." She said cheerily.

"I didn't realise it was you." Daniel apologised as she raised himself out of his chair and made his way over to Athena, shutting the door behind her.

"Obviously." She replied looking up at him.

Daniel took Athena's hand and led her back over to his seat and once he had sat down, he pulled her up onto his lap, asking as he did so.

"So, how are you feeling?"

"Good." Athena replied, wriggling to get comfortable. "How about you?"

"Ahh."

"Ahh, isn't a valid answer Dad."

He looked at her. "Why not?"

"Because you're just avoiding the question with a word that isn't technically a word."

Daniel just looked at Athena.

"Dad." She pleaded.

Daniel removed his glasses and put them on the desk. "I'm sorry Athena."

"For?"

"Today. You shouldn't have seen Jack and me argue like that. It was irresponsible of us both."

Athena looked at him, a fleeting anger crossing her features as it so often did her mothers, but soon dropped to disappointment as she asked.

"So it would've been okay if I hadn't of seen?"

"That's not what I'm saying Athena."

"Funny. That's what it sounded like to me."

"What I'm trying to say is that it would've of happened sooner or later anyway."

"It would have?" Athena asked shocked. "Even if you hadn't of called the Tok'Ra and Jack disagreed?"

"Yes, only it probably would've been later rather than sooner."

"So this wasn't about the Tok'Ra. You really meant what you said?" Athena asked, her bottom lip trembling as tears threatened, her shock, disbelief and anger evident, but not to Daniel.

"Of course I did."

Athena jumped off of Daniel's lap and exclaimed her voice raised. "I can't believe you! I can't believe that you would actually say something like that and mean it!"

"Athena, you don't have to worry about this. It doesn't concern you."

"It doesn't concern me? It doesn't concern me! This is about me."

"This isn't your fault Athena. It's Jacks."

"I'm not saying it's my fault, I'm saying you've hurt me Daniel!"

"Daniel?" He questioned, hurt, it was the first time in a while that she had called him that rather than dad, and it had been deliberate.

"Daniel, Daniel, Daniel!" She shouted angrily, small tears streaking her face as she attempted to hurt him in return.

Daniel knelt down in front of Athena and took a gentle hold of her arms.

"Athena. What's wrong? Tell me."

"Don't you get it? What you said hurt me as much as it hurt Jack."

"Why?" He asked softly.

"Because you don't trust me in the fact that I love you. Because the one course of action you chose to take is the one that hurts me the most."

"Athena, I do trust you. I just don't understand. You have to tell me what's wrong."

"You don't trust that I love you, you think that I would replace you."

"I don't think that."

"Yes you do." Athena said firmly. "If you didn't think it, then you wouldn't have said the things that you did. None of it would've mattered."

"Don't you see that it does? Jack is my best friend, he shouldn't be trying to take my daughter away from me!"

"But he's not! What makes you think this?"

"He's everything I'm not!"

"What?"

"He's been there for you Athena, whether I like it or not, since he met you and I haven't."

"Is this what this about? You think I would let Jack replace you if he tried?"

"You turn to him Athena, you look up to him, there's nothing I can do to mend out relationship. Not completely, not ever."

"There's no mending to be done."

Daniel looked at her in disbelief.

"That doesn't matter now."

"It does, not to you maybe, but to me it does. Because Jack sees this, he can see the rift between us and he's using it for himself. To get to your mom, to get to you, everything he misses in his life. His family."

"Daniel. You can't say that. It's not fair. All I want is for my mom to be happy, now and after I'm gone. He doesn't need to use me; I'm trying to help. I don't want Jack as my father, I want you, and I have you. You're my dad, I love you, and the past is the past, there's no use in dwelling on it. I would never replace you and you shouldn't think that Jack would try. You're my dad and nothing any one can do or say will ever change that."

"Athena, I've never doubted your love. It's Jack I can't trust. He's getting between us Athena; even you can't deny that. He's the problem."

"He's only between us because you're putting him there. You have to make up with him Daniel. You have to trust him. He's done nothing wrong. You'll need him."

"I'll never need him and I don't think I can ever forgive him while he's in your life."

"How can you do this?"

"Do what?"

"Do this to me. Make me chose."

"Chose between what?"

"Between the two things I want most in the world. The only two things that are left in my life that truly matter to me."

"What are they?"

"Having you in the rest of my life and seeing my mom happy, knowing that she will have someone who cares about her after I've gone."

"And you can have both. She can have Jack in her life, I don't have a problem with that. I have a problem with him being in your life."

"Daniel, you know my mom. She wouldn't do that. She won't. She'll forsake Jack to please you, she won't risk giving up time with me to spend it with Jack, we're a package deal! She blames herself what happened today. She would rather see you and Jack friends again than have him for herself when so may problems will follow. You know that Daniel. You know she's going to be unhappy and you know I can't give you up."

"No Athena. That's not it, that's not it at all. I'm doing this because I don't want to loose you."

"And you won't."

"I can't know that for sure."

"I know you only want the best Daniel and I can't be mad at you for this. But if this is the course of action you have to take, you have to make up with Jack."

"I don't know if I can. Not yet. Not ever. Not while he's here, near you and in your life."

"You have to Daniel."

"I don't know."

"Then I guess everybody looses." Athena stated quietly.

"I don't think there's a way to win."

Jack sat down opposite General Hammond, knowing damn well why he had been called into his office and prepared for the violent explosion of temper that was no doubt inevitable.

"Thank you for coming Jack."

Jacks guard went up, Hammond was on first name terms, which was never good, it was when things started to get personal.

"Jack?" He questioned Hammond.

"Jack, it's no secret what went on this afternoon. I was there remember, I witnessed everything."

Jack winced. Boy did he remember that afternoon, he didn't think he would ever forget, plus he still had to talk to Daniel who was avoiding him like the plague.

"I remember."

"I'm not going to mess around Jack, it was out of line and I intend on telling Dr Jackson the same thing. The SGC is no place for personal disagreements and vendettas, though on this occasion I'm going to let it slide."

"You're what?"

"Don't knock it Jack. I can still change my mind."

"It's okay Sir, I just didn't expect it. I thought I'd be scrubbing latrines by now."

"Jack, I understand that now is an emotional time. For Dr Jackson, Dr Hudson and to a degree, yourself. I also understand the way that you feel about the Tok'Ra and that you needed to express your views, not that I'm saying you went the right way about it."

"I know. I'm sorry Sir."

"Jack. I'm also letting his slide because you have enough on your plate right now. You and Dr Jackson are good friends and you both need to sort this out."

"I know."

"This is a tough time for him and I appreciate some of the things he said to you were out of line, especially about your son."

Jacks jaw clenched.

"A word of warning Jack."

"Sir?"

"Be careful son."

"Careful?"

"I think that it has become obvious to me and several other members of the SGC staff that there has been a growing relationship between yourself, Dr Hudson and Athena."

"Relationship Sir?" Jack tried to sound calm.

"You know what I mean Jack. You took Dr Hudson under your wing as soon as she arrived and have done the same for her daughter. It's become clearer that this bond is getting stronger. You need to watch yourself Jack. This is a dangerous business. Both on and off the battlefield."

"Sir?"

"You don't only have you friendship with Dr Jackson to mend, which is essential to this facility and your team, you have you performance as an officer to think about."

Jack waited for Hammond to explain further.

"Jack, up until now you've had nothing to come back to, really, just like the rest of SG-1, there are no immediate ties. You need to think about how your work here could be endangered if this relationship continues. Having something of such importance here will always change your perspective in a life or death situation."

"Are you banning me from Dr Hudson? Sir."

"No I'm not Jack. I'm offering you some advice I think you need. It's not only the problems that this may cause with Dr Jackson that need to be considered. All I ask is that you think, is this worth all the risks."

"I will Sir."

All risks considered. I love her.

Faith opened the door and gave a shocked gasp to find Jack on her front porch, bottle of red wine in one hand and small, but beautiful bunch of flowers in the other hand. She had forgotten that she had invited Jack around and even if she had of remembered, she wouldn't have been expecting the late hour that he turned up at, or the things that he had brought with him.

"Come in." Faith offered, opening the door wider so that he could enter, and shutting it quickly behind him, cutting off the flow of cold fall air that it let in.

"Who is it mom?" Athena called from upstairs.

Faith contemplated her answer for a moment, before looking at Jack and calling up the staircase. "Just an Insurance man."

"Okay."

"Now go to sleep, you went to bed ages ago!"

"Yes mom."

Jack held up the flowers, in the depths of his mind understanding why Faith had lied to Athena, it would make thing in the long run much easier.

"For you." He told her quietly.

Faith smiled and took the flowers from Jack, then with her free hand took a hold of his and led him into the kitchen where they could talk more freely.

"Thank you." Faith said once she had put them in vase with some water. "What are they for?"

Jack put the bottle down on the counter. "They're for you. Because you're special. Because I love you."

Faith put her arms around Jack and hugged him tightly. "I love you too."

Jack put his arms around Faith and held her tightly. "I'll never get tired of hearing you say that."

"I don't think I'll ever get tired of saying it." Faith replied quietly before saying. "I love you, I love you, I love you."

Jack chuckled and kissed the side of her head. He wasn't going to admit to her or himself that he was doing this to convince himself he was doing the right thing. To block out the constant nagging of Hammond's voice telling him what he had said in his office earlier that afternoon, and even more so the small military voice in the back of his conscious that was saying Hammond was right.

Equally Faith was trying to block Daniel out of her mind, a problem that was just refusing to go away, no matter what she tried. Athena had informed her of what Daniel had said and she knew that this wouldn't last, but she also knew she wasn't ready to give it up. Even though her daughter had been right, there was no competition, she wasn't going to let Daniel win just yet, she wasn't ready to lose Jack yet, she still needed him, and she still wanted him.

"How about we start on the wine?" Faith suggested before gently kissing him.

Two hours later, as Faith and Jack watched the clock in the den strike midnight, Jack, who was reluctant to move, said.

"I should be going."

Faith groaned unhappily. She and Jack were laid across the couch, carefully wrapped around each other, the long since empty wine glasses stood with the also empty bottle on the table in front of them. She hadn't intended on letting Jack go, but instead of admitting it, she said sensibly.

"You can't go. You're over the limit." After they had drunk the bottle of wine that Jack had brought with him, they had moved onto several others from Faith's collection of drink. "Way over."

"What should I do then?" Jack asked with a cheeky grin, knowing full well what they both planned on doing.

"I guess you'll have to stay then." Faith said attempting to force a fake frown.

"The spare room then?" Jack asked, unable to control the massive grin, but keeping the mock seriousness in his voice.

"I think we're old and mature enough to share." Faith said shifting her body so that she could look Jack in the face.

"We are?" Jack questioned, his head moving closer to Faiths.

"No funny business." Faith said pretending to be stern.

"None what-so-ever?"

"No."

"Good." Jack said trying not to laugh. "I wasn't planning on making you laugh." Then he kissed her gently, lingering on her lips.

"Shall we take this non-funny, funny business upstairs?" Faith asked.

"Lets." Jack said kissing her again.

Athena rubbed her eyes groggily with one hand, to clear away the sleepy-dust that she could feel itching the corners of her eyes, pulling up the waist of her pyjama bottoms with the other. Reaching the door to Faiths room, she opened the door and shuffled in, her feet dragging against the carpet slightly through her sleepy haze.

What she saw didn't register completely at first, her mind assuming that through the fog of waking at 5 am in the morning she was simply imagining it. Blinking, her eyes confirmed that she did in fact see, a dark silhouetted figure, not only in bed with her mom, but leaning over to kiss her sleeping form. Apparently unaware of her presence just inside the doorway, the figure moved to climb out of the bed, freezing it's actions as it realised she was watching him.

"Athena?" It asked and she instantly recognised the voice.

Jack.

Jack was in bed with her mom?

Jack and her mom were together.

Athena nodded the said very calmly, before turning to leave. "Cool."

"Cool?" Jack questioned quietly, but shocked none-the-less.

Athena stopped and made her way over to him so they wouldn't wake Faith. "Yeah. It's taken long enough, but it's still cool."

Athena could now see Jack smile. "Glad we have your approval."

"My approval. You've had it from before it began. When did it begin?"

"A week ago, maybe a bit more."

Athena looked shocked. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"In case it didn't work out."

Athena nodded. "Where are you going?"

"Home."

"Why?"

"So you don't find me here when you wake up in the morning." Jack said with a smile.

Athena smiled. "But now I've found you, you don't have to go."

"I guess not."

"Good. I'm gonna go back to bed now."

Jacks smile widened and Athena noted a definite glint in his eye. "Athena?"

"Yeah."

"Want to help me surprise your mom?"

Faith rolled over in bed, her mind slowly clearing from the remnants of sleep as her heart sank to find the bed empty, apart from her. The only evidence that Jack had been there was the smell of his after-shave on the pillow and the rumpled sheets on the side of the bed that Faiths sleeping body rarely ventured to. His absence did not really surprise her; Jack had simply left so that Athena, who was oblivious to all that had and was going on between them, would not find him.

Climbing out of bed, Faith pulled on some underwear, a baggy T-shirt and a pair of shorts and after dragging her hair into a messy high tail made her way out of her room. As she slowly made her way down the stairs, her head feeling far too light and airy after the drinking of the night before, she became aware of far to much noise being made in the kitchen. As she reached the bottom of the stairs and padded towards the kitchen, she was positive that her mind was playing tricks on her, she could swear that she could hear Jack and Athena laughing together over the sound of a hissing frying pan. As Faith reached the kitchen her nose pricked up, smelling the definite aroma of Pancakes and coffee, and her stomach rumbled. Opening the door to venture inside, she stopped dead in her tracks at the sight that greeted her.

Jack was stood at her cooker, dressed only in a pair of pants, a frying pan in hand, attempting to unsuccessfully flip the pancake that was inside of it, which appeared to be a the cause of the laughter. Athena was sat on the counter just along from him, in her pyjamas and fluffy slippers, mixing up more batter and laughing so hard at Jack's antics that she was crying. The table just inside the door was laid up for all three of them and fresh coffee was bubbling in the pot that she very rarely could ever be bothered to use, or ever had any coffee for.

"Mom." Athena managed to hold back the laughter to say when she finally noticed her mother stood in the doorway.

"Faith." Jack greeted looking round from the cooker.

"What's going on?" Faith asked.

Jack moved the pan off the heat and crossed the kitchen to Faith, putting his arm around her waist he pulled her against him a placed a gentle kiss on her lips before saying. "We're making breakfast. Coffee?"

Faith stood stunned. Did Jack do what she thought he just did? In front of Athena?

"It's okay mom. I know about you and Jack. I caught him trying to sneak away this morning." Athena explained.

Faith smiled before placing her own kiss on Jack's lips, disturbed by the fact that her sense of well-being wasn't as warm and fuzzy as she knew it should be and she could sense that Jack felt the same. The incessant little voices in the back of their minds telling them it was stupid to let Athena find out, this was never going to last.

"Where did you get all this stuff?" Faith asked, pushing her worries to the back of her mind and enjoying the fact that she could stand in Jack's arms without having to worry about being seen.

"I went to the store." Jack explained with a smile.

Faith smiled back. "You're sweet. You didn't have to do this."

"No. But I wanted to."

"Thank you." She said, pulling him back into a hug.

"No, if you don't mind. I have breakfast to cook." Jack told her, reluctantly letting go of her waist, feeling that he would never get the chance to hold her like that again.

Faith stood beside the front door, ready for Jack to leave, the sense of loss that she knew she would feel long after he left her home, already kicking in. They both understood that this was it, this was the last time that they could be together, sharing a free Sunday morning, a bed, each other. Though no words had passed between them, Faith knew that Jack understood, that he felt the same. She knew what Hammond had said to Jack, it had not been relayed to her, but she knew all the same, she could see it in Jack's eyes and the sympathetic glances from Hammond the day before.

Faith herself knew what Daniel had said and what Athena wanted, but there was no way that she could give her daughter everything that she wanted. Not with all the consequences that would follow. She could not deny Athena her father and she could not deny herself her daughter, but to do so, she would have to suffer loosing Jack. But when she stood in front of him and stared into the deep and dark brown depths of his eyes, she could see he knew it too.

It was a decision that he would make himself if she didn't.

It was mutual.

It was time for Jack to leave.

Time to say goodbye.

Faith smiled at Jack, attempting to hide the ache inside her heart that was threatening to reduce her to tears and break her heart in two.

"I'll see you tomorrow."

"Yeah." Jack said, his voice matching Faiths, full of pain and sorrow.

"Thank you for breakfast, and last night. It was lovely."

Jack shrugged trying to be casual and conceal his emotions. "It was nothing."

"Thank you all the same."

Faith hugged Jack tightly, holding him as if for dear life, afraid to let him go with the knowledge that she would never be able to hold him like that again.

After what seemed like an eternity, Jack said quietly. "Goodbye Faith."

"Goodbye Jack." Faith whispered back, knowing that this was no simple departing, it was the end. It was a final goodbye.

Faith pulled back from him, gently placing the most tender kiss on his lips before saying in a breath that was barely audible as she fought back emotion.

"I love you."

Jack raised his hand to her cheek and stroked the soft skin. "I love you too."

Moving away from her Jack opened the door and slipped away, saying once again.

"Goodbye."

Daniel almost tripped over his own feet as he rushed to the phone and then cursed to see the green light blinking at him, he had missed the call. Pulling the towel around his waist tighter he pressed the button to listen to the message he had missed while in the shower.

There was along silence and Daniel was about to pick up the phone and do last number re-dial when Faiths shaky but distinctive voice kicked in and spoke.

"It's over Daniel. You win."

*Finis*

TO BE CONTINUED.............Can they live with the decisions they made? Find out in part 5 of the series, coming soon. I promise!

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Faith