Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Have a Little Faith 2: Promises

by Faith
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Have a little Faith: Promises

Have a little Faith: Promises

by Faith

TITLE: Have a little Faith: Promises
AUTHOR: Faith
EMAIL: angelic_devil21@hotmail.com
CATEGORY: Hurt/Comfort, Series
PAIRING: Jack/other
SPOILERS: none, i don't think.
SEASON / SEQUEL: 4; Second in 'Have a little Faith' series.
RATING: PG
CONTENT WARNINGS: none
SUMMARY: The aftermarth of the news that Athena is getting worse. How will they cope?
STATUS: Complete
ARCHIVE: Heliopolis
DISCLAIMER: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. We have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the authors. Not to be archived without permission of the authors.
AUTHOR'S NOTES: Right. Firstly, i'm still looking for a beta-reader, those who want to apply.
Secondly, this deals with the issue of Athena's illness and doesn't really involve the rest of the team. please, no flames, because do not fear, the thrid part is on the way and the rest of SG-1 are guarenteed to have more of an active role.
Promise.
Also, feedback please.

READER WARNING!!!

This is the second in the 'Have a Little Faith' series, it is highly recommended that you have read the first story before you read this one. The Story that sparked off this series is named 'Have a Little Faith: Faith' and is archived on this site. This is more of an continued section of the first story, showing the aftermath, so reading the first is advised or you're gonna be totally confused. You know what I mean.

RE-CAP (The story so far):-

The Extras

(The main new characters.)
* Dr Faith Eliza Hudson: Archaeologist and linguist speaking 32 languages (as far as we know).
* Athena Hudson: 10 year old daughter of Faith, highly intelligent child suffering from terminal cancer.
* Barney and Eddie: Good friends of Faith and Athena's, a gay couple.

What Happened Last
* Faith was brought in to the project by Daniel to help with the translation of an off-world temple.
* 10 years previous Daniel and Faith were engaged, Daniel ruined this after an argument by destroying Faiths career. They hadn't spoken since.
* Faith's daughter's father is Daniel he has no contact by choice.
* Faith went off world with Jack (SG-1 caught in another off-world dispute) and discovered the true use of the temple.
* Jack and Faith were highly attracted to each other and kissed, but have forgotten the incident, despite feelings the feelings they deny.
* Daniel and Faith have put their past behind them and all is forgiven, but not forgotten.
* Faith returned to find out that her daughters cancer has spread into her blood stream and has 6 months 2 years to live.
* Jack has promised her 'I'm here. I'm not going anywhere.'

The Last Chapter

Jack watched the Doctor walk away and the tears that Faith had been holding in begin to fall down her cheeks, slowly at first but soon were speeding into a constant stream from each eye. Tightening his grip on her hand, he pulled her over to him and rested her head on his shoulder as silent sobs wracked her body, the tears seeping through his green uniform and dampening his shoulder.

Jack didn't know how long he sat holding Faith, his arms around her, gently rocking her back and forth in an attempt to soothe her, despite knowing there was nothing he could do. Eventually her sobs began to end, but made no effort to move out of his arms, only moving slightly so she could embrace him back.

"What did the doctor say. I don't get the way they speak."

"Athena has a brain tumour, which means they can't operate, not in the place it's in, it's far too dangerous. So they've tried to treat it and stop it from spreading by using Chemotherapy."

"It hasn't worked?"

"No. She's had two courses, which made her very, very ill. Now it's got worse and it's gone into her blood stream, which means that it's just going to keep on spreading through her body. She's going to die."

"What about more therapy?"

"It'll slow it down, but won't stop it. She's going to die."

Faith repeated the statement, it hadn't fully registered yet, but as it did a wave of nausea, like she had never experienced before, hit her. Jumping up out of Jack's arms she ran down the corridor to the ladies restrooms.

Following Faith and ignoring the strange looks he received, Jack entered the ladies restrooms to find Faith in one of the cubicles, huddled over the toilet and vomiting. After throwing up two days worth of MRE's, Faith flushed the toilet and looked up at Jack, tears streaking her face once more. Sitting down on the cubicle floor, Jack pulled Faith over to him, so she was sat on his lap and huddled against his chest, and he let her sob again.

"It's okay. I'm here. I'm not going anywhere."

"Promise?" Faith asked through the tears and sniffs.

"I promise."

And he meant it.

Have a little Faith: Promises

"Hi mom." Athena said brightly as Faith entered the airy hospital room with Jack following closely behind, the smell of disinfectant making her want to vomit all over again.

"Hi sweetie." Faith forced out along with a smile.

"You look sick."

Faith knew Athena would pick up on it, nothing got past her. "I don't think Military food agrees with me."

Athena smiled again, she knew her mother was lying.

"I thought you weren't getting back 'till Monday? You're 4 days early."

"I know, but the artefact became no longer available after an act of one or more deities. Namely an earthquake shook it into rubble, indistinguishable rubble."

"Deities?" Jack asked quietly.

"It's the name for gods and goddess in any given culture or religion. Who are you?" Athena explained cheerfully, before asking the obvious question.

"Athena honey, this is Colonel O'Neill. He was in charge on the dig. He drove me here from the base." Faith introduced.

"Hi." Athena beamed; offering her IV punctured hand for him to shake. "I'm Athena."

"Hi Athena." He shook her hand, surprised at how alert and attentive she was. "If I tell you to call me Jack, will you?"

Athena nodded.

"Good." Lowering his voice to a conspiratory whisper he said. "You think you could teach your mom to call me that? She seems to have a problem with it."

Athena whispered back into his ear. "She's being polite."

"So that's what it is?" He joked.

Athena giggled quietly, before turning to her mother who had a serious statement written across her features. Faith looked at Jack.

"Can you give us a minute?"

"Sure."

As Jack left the hospital room, closing the door behind him, Faith sat down on the hospital bed beside Athena and took a hold of her small and delicate hand.

"You don't call him Jack because you like him." Athena stated proudly before Faith could say a word.

"That's just plain stupid. Unlike some people around here, I have respect for authority." How could Athena know that, was her child turning psychic or something? Faith had to deny it, if she couldn't admit it to herself, she wasn't going to admit it to her 10-year-old daughter.

"No you don't. Only last week you called Professor Walsh a moody old dragon."

"Well I have respect when I'm face to face with them."

"Doesn't change the fact that you like him."

"So I made friends with some one of the opposite sex. Is that suddenly a crime?"

"You know what I mean. You don't like him, youlikehim."

"So now we're talking in riddles?"

"Mom, you understand. You have a thing for him."

"No I don't."

Athena smiled, she once again knew her mom was lying. "Well I like him."

"Oh, youlikehim do you?"

"Now you're being silly mom. He's funny, I could get used to seeing him with you."

"Well, he's not going to be with me, so you don't have to get used to anything."

"Okay. Did you have fun on your dig?"

"Yeah it was okay. You know I can't talk about it?"

"I know. Was there anybody else there apart from you and Jack?"

"No, and before you even think about it. Don't go there!"

"Okay I won't." Athena lied. "So, did you kiss him?"

"What?"

"You did didn't you?"

"I did what?"

"You kissed Jack didn't you? I can tell."

"No I did not and I don't want to hear you say that again."

"What was it like?"

"Athena!"

"Mom, it's good thing. It's been ages since your last boyfriend."

"Athena!"

"Okay. I won't say anything else if you answer me one question."

"What?"

"What was it like?"

It was passionate, fiery and lots of other words I can't say to my ten-year-old child.

"Okay I'll tell you what it was like."

"Yay!"

"It was nothing, because that is what happened. Nothing! No kiss, no attraction, nolikeand no thing. Now that I've answered you're question, I'll hear no more about it."

"Mom, that wasn't fair, you tricked me."

"Tough."

After moving Athena away from the subject of her and Jack, Faith talked to her daughter about what had happened while she was away. Both at the home of Barney and Eddie where she had been staying and in the news and such likes. Faith then asked the question Faith has been dreading.

"Mom, when can I go home? I don't like it here."

"I know you don't like it here, but you know you're sick."

"I know. Dr Brookes explained everything."

"He told me he had. You know I don't have a problem with that, I know you want to be kept informed of what's happening to you."

Athena nodded before saying solemnly. "I'm going to die aren't I mom?"

The comment brought new tears to Faiths eyes, ones she fought back with a strength she didn't know she had. She couldn't let Athena see her admit defeat.

"No you are not." Faith said firmly.

Athena held out her skinny arms and pulled her mom into a warm embrace. "Yes I am mom. That's why I want to go home. To be with you."

"What about the Chemotherapy?"

"Are you going to make me have it?"

"No I'm not. Sweetie, it's your body and your illness, you chose how we fight it."

"I don't want to fight it anymore mom. I don't want to slow it down by being sicker. I don't want the Chemotherapy."

"If that's what you want."

"Are you mad at me?"

"Of course not. Why would I be mad at you?"

"Because I'm going to die sooner."

"Sweetie. I am not mad at you, you hear me. I will be happy as long as you are. If that means that you don't want to have the Chemotherapy, then you don't have to have it."

"Thank you mom."

"What for?"

"For understanding. It's what you wanted too, isn't it."

"I hope you're not doing this to please me."

"No, I'm not."

"You're right though."

"I am?"

"Yeah, I don't want to see you hurt anymore."

"I know you don't mom."

"You want me to go see when the Doctor'll let you home?"

"Yeah." Athena let go of Faith. "Mom."

"Yes sweetie?"

"I love you."

Placing a kiss on her bald head Faith returned the comment. "I love you too baby."

After exiting Athena's room, Faith collapsed into Jack's arms once again, the tears she had been hiding from her daughter shedding onto his shoulder once again.

How are you ever going to thank him for this?

Jack looked up as he heard the door to Athena's room slowly open, as Faith exited and gently shut it behind her he stood up out of the plastic chair and let her collapse back into his arms. As her arms worked their way around his shoulders he let his right hand settle in her hair and his left around her waist. Her head nuzzling into his chest as her tears began to soak through his shirt and her body shook with her convulsive sobs.

Jack didn't know how long they stood there, just holding each other as Faith's renewed tears flowed for what he knew was going to be the first of many times. He didn't mind or care. He wasn't her husband, her lover, Athena's father or even a close friend; he was someone she barely knew that she had given so much trust to. He couldn't leave her, nor did he want to.

She's going to lose her child, her only child. I can't make her face that alone.I won't let her face that alone.

Faith's quiet voice cut into his thoughts, slightly muted by the material of his shirt.

"Jack?"

"Yeah?"

"Can we go outside? I need some air. The smell in here's making me sick."

"Sure. We can go outside."

After finding the exit that led out to the hospital gardens Jack and Faith settled on a stone bench that sat in front of a large stone fountain, the sound of splashing water all they could hear. Faith sat making no attempt to speak, only watching the water cascade down from each circular level of the ornament in the centre of the pool of water.

Faith felt Jack's hand touch hers as his fingers gently slid on top of hers and entwined their way around her own to hold her hand tightly. She smiled softly at the simplicity of the gesture but welcomed the warmth, comfort and affection that she knew was behind it and on offer. Clasping his hand tightly Faith shifted along the bench, closing the several inch gap between them so that she could lean against him, her head resting against his.

"Thank you." Faith whispered quietly.

"It's okay." Jack assured her honestly.

"No, no it's not." Her voice shook violently and she didn't raise it above the whisper, scared that it would snap her back to reality.

"It's not?"

"No it isn't. I barely know you."

"You don't want me here?"

"Of course I do, but do you want to be here?"

"Yes." He told her firmly. "I do."

"Why? You don't know me and you've let me cry on you more than I have anybody else in my life."

"I do know you. You've told me a hell of ' lot more than you remember right now."

"I have?"

"Oh, I know everything."

"I told you how I puked on my first day in an American school?"

"That was the first thing you said." He joked.

"Was I drunk when we first met?" She joked back, his words coaxing a small smile onto her lips.

"Yup. You passed out right in front of me."

"And you're still here. Wow. Pretty amazing."

"I know I am." He joked back.

"Seriously. Why are you here? Why did you stay?"

"Because you told me to leave."

"I did?"

"Pretty much, yeah."

"But you didn't."

"Nope."

"You still haven't told me why."

"Because I understand."

"You do?"

"I told you about Charlie didn't I?"

Faith's mind sped through all her memories of her and Jack talking until she found them on PX2 983, where Jack had told her about the death of son and break up of his marriage.

"Your son?"

"Yes."

"He shot himself. He died, like Athena will."

Jack nodded.

"No matter how many times I say it, it doesn't seem real. Like this all some horrible nightmare and soon I'm gonna wake up."

"I waited to wake up for a long time."

"I'm not going to am I? This is real. My daughter is going to die."

"Faith, she's not dead yet."

"She doesn't want the Chemotherapy."

"She doesn't?"

"She doesn't want to spend the rest of her life that ill. I'm not going to make her have it."

"She'll have less time?"

Faith nodded.

"Faith-"

"I have to be strong don't I?"

"Yes, yes you do. You can't let it defeat you as well as her. Faith, I've been there. So close to the edge I thought there was no way back, but there's always a way back. I'm not going to let you go over."

"How am I going to do this Jack? She's all I have in the world. The only thing I care about. How can I lose her like this." Fresh tears wet her eyes.

"Let me tell you what someone told me." Jack said recalling what the Unity Crystal had told him when it morphed into the perfect recreation of Charlie. "Athena will always live on in your heart. As long as you hold her memories inside of you, she'll always be with you. If you die, she'll die with you."

"I know. Once she's gone I know it'll be hard, but how can I just wait for it to happen. How can I just go on with life as normal?"

"You don't. Everything has to stop; you have to make the most of the time you have left. I would give anything for more time with Charlie, to play baseball with him, to watch a game of hockey, anything. You have to do it now before it gets worse, before it's too late."

"What did I do to deserve this?" Faith asked, silent tears rolling down her cheeks.

"Nothing. You didn't do anything." He assured her as he gently wiped away her tears before saying. "Let's go inside. See if you can take her home."

"Finally! Home at last." Faith announced as she opened her front door and entered the hallway, dropping Athena's school bag at the bottom of the stairs.

After they had gone back inside the hospital Faith and Jack had found Athena's doctor and pleaded with him to let Athena go home. After informing him of their decision about the Chemotherapy Faith had promised that they would return in a few days time to be instructed on caring for Athena properly if she wouldn't get help. They then informed Athena of her doctor's decision and after she dressed, Jack drove them both home in his jeep and Athena convinced him to come in with a bat of her eyelids.

"Can I go get changed?" Athena asked, she had no choice but to redress into her school uniform.

"Sure, but don't forget to put a hat on."

"I won't." Athena called as she jogged up the stairs.

"You want a drink? Soda? Coffee? Hard liquor? I know that's what I feel like."

Jack walked over to Faith, who he noted was shaking again, and gently talking a hold of her elbows, told her. "Coffee. No hard liquor, not yet."

"Okay, coffee it is."

Faith walked down the hallway to the kitchen, Jack following behind her as she switched the kettle on and pulled two cups out of a cupboard, putting coffee granules and sugar into them both.

"You don't have to stay. You could escape now if you want."

"It's okay."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes I'm sure."

"Sorry, it must sound like I don't want you here, it's just I can't help but feel that I'm imposing on you."

"You're not imposing. I'm gonna help you through this Faith. I tried to do this on my own and it was the worst mistake I made. I'm not going to let you do the same, not when I can help."

Faith was about to say something in response when a loud scream came from upstairs; their first thoughts were of Athena. Faith and Jack immediately ran out of the kitchen and up the stairs, Jack following Faith to Athena's room. There they found Athena stood in the corner of her room, dressed in jeans and a light blue sweater.

Faith instantly ran over to Athena, taking her little girl, who was frozen with shock, into her arms.

"What is it? What's happened sweetie?"

Athena responded by pointing a shaky hand at the opposite corner of her room, the one she has to pass to exit through the door. There, coiled in the corner and slowly beginning to slither it's way over to them was a large bower constrictor snake. Both Faith and Jack followed the movement of Athena's hand and as soon as Faith realised what it was sat in her daughters room, she to let out a high pitched scream.

"You're not scared of snakes are you?" Jack asked.

Faith managed a slow nod. "I could deal with a bug the size of a house, but I can't even look at a grass snake without screaming."

Jack walked over to the snake and picked it up. "It has to belong to somebody. These don't just turn up out of the blue."

"I'm gonna kill him."

"Who?"

"Robbie."

"Robbie?"

"Yeah, the guy who lives next door. He's always talking about his bower constrictor, and it's escaped before, but never got this far."

"You want me to take it next door?"

"Thanks." Faith said standing up and making her way over to the door, keeping her distance from Jack and the snake. "I'll come with you. I want to swear in several languages at that guy. Athena, wait here."

Faith and Jack returned the snake 'Joanna' to its rightful owner, 22 year old Robbie, and Jack watched Faith to shout abuse at the horrified looking guy for a few minutes. As Faith returned to her house, Jack decided to make sure it wouldn't happen again, after noticing Robbie had stood to attention as he noticed the military greens that he and Faith were still wearing. Introducing himself as Colonel O'Neill, USAF, he gave the army lieutenant a strict warning to keep his snake where it belonged and not in the neighbours houses. After Robbie acknowledged Jack's warning with a 'Yes Sir' and salute, he saluted back and returned to Faith's, who had finished making the coffee, with a smile on his face.

"What are you smiling about?" Faith asked handing him his and offering him a seat on the couch.

"Oh, I just gave Lieutenant Robert James Copper a strict warning about keeping his snake in its cage."

Faith laughed. "You're kidding?"

"Nope."

Faith laughed harder. "I should go get changed. These military clothes really don't agree with me."

Athena, who was becoming vastly determined to get her mother and Jack together, but had apprehensions about him being around for the long-term, sat down on the couch next to Jack as Faith headed upstairs to change.

"Hi." She said brightly.

"Hi."

"Why are you being so nice to my mom?"

"Excuse me?"

"It's a simple question Jack. Why are you being so nice to my mom?"

"Why do you ask?"

"Do you always answer a question with a question?"

"Do you?"

"No."

"Neither do I"

"So you were just avoiding answering the question?" She enquired.

"Then so were you." Jack hit back.

"The last guy who was nice to my mom only wanted one thing and was horrible to me. I have to be careful about these things." Athena explained cheerfully. "Especially with the state mom's in at the moment. I have to look out for her."

"You do?"

"She's just found out I'm going to die. I've always known I didn't have long, since I got the cancer. I'm used to it and she's not. She's the one who has it the worst; she's the one who's still going to be here. While she deals with that she isn't going to be thinking straight, therefore I have to look out for her. Make sure she doesn't do anything silly."

"Okay. I'm being nice to your mom because I know what she's going through and what she gonna have to deal with when you're gone. I want to help her, make sure she's gonna be okay."

"Do you?"

"Yeah. I know what it can get like, my son died."

"Of cancer?"

"No, he shot himself."

"I'm sorry for your loss."

"It was a long time ago."

"How old was he, if I can ask?"

"He was 7."

"Are you still married? I don't see a band." She had checked in the hospital, her mom didn't need another married man messing with her life.

"No, I'm not. It ended after Charlie."

"Charlie's a nice name. A normal one."

"You don't like being different?"

"I don't mind it. It makes me special. I know when I hear my name being called they're speaking to me, not one of the other 20 people who have the same name."

"Then you're lucky."

"I am. I have my mom. She's more like my best friend than a parent."

"She seems like a good mom."

"She's a great cook."

"She is?"

"Yeah. Why don't you stay for dinner?" Athena was satisfied that for now, Jack would be a good thing for her mom and even better when she wasn't around to look after her.

"I can't impose."

"Impose on who?" Faith asked appearing in the doorway, dressed in baggy black trousers and a red shirt, her long hair down and wavy from her pigtails.

"I asked Jack to stay for dinner. So I can get to know him better."

"It's okay, I should be going anyway." Jack cut in, he felt like he'd imposed too much already.

"I'm only ordering pizza. I couldn't be bothered to cook even if I had something to cook with." Faith didn't want Jack to go, not yet.

"Please." Athena begged, battering her big blues at him in a way that he couldn't say 'no' to.

"Okay."

I guess it would be nice to spend some time with Faith, on this planet.

Faith inhaled deeply, the smell of the outdoors flooding her senses in a way they hadn't experienced for a long time, she decided she really needed to get out more. The sight before her was one she hadn't seen for a while, several years in fact, the large expanse of trees and grass in Colorado Springs in the height of fall. It was the perfect part of the season where the trees were rich in colour, displaying orange, red and golden brown leaves that had not yet begun to shed from the branches. The sun shone down on the park, giving the air a gentle warmth, contradicted by the cool and gentle breeze that made the temperature ideal for wearing trousers, but no thick winter coat.

Selecting a spot in the tree line that surrounded the parks large open plane of grass, Faith set her bag down and after laying out a blanket on the ground, settled down on it. Leaning back against a tree she smiled, gently at first, but it soon spread into a large grin as her focus fell upon Athena and Jack who were walking towards her.

It had been through Jacks advice that she had decided to do this, but it had been the ever-persistent attitude of her daughter that had resulted in Jack joining them, not that he seemed to be complaining. While they were eating their pizza the night before Faith had remember what Jack had said to her and decided nothing was going to get in the way of her spending some quality time with Athena. They had decided that some time with the great outdoors would do them both some good while the weather was still on their side, so had settled on a day at the park. It was then, when Athena turned round to Jack with no warning and asked him to join them, with the look in her eyes she had inherited from Daniel. The one no one could say 'no' to! And Jack didn't. His team was on down time for the rest of the week due to the temple disaster a few days earlier and he had nothing planned.

Faith found his lack of resistance unnerving and very distressing, despite all he had done for in the past 24 hours she couldn't forget their kiss on PX2 982 or the nagging feeling. The one that said to her, if you spend any more time with him you're gonna end up doing it again, and that was something her conscience wouldn't allow her to do. Despite the warm and fuzzy feeling she got when ever she was near him and the rapidly increasing amount of time he spent with her and her daughter.

Just like a family. A proper one.

Faith immediately shoed away the thought into the dark recesses of her mind, where she hoped it would never surface from again. She was not a family with Jack and never would be, he was a friend, and the logical part of her mind told her that it was the way it was and had to stay.

Though he did look very good in his civilian clothes, a stone coloured pair of cargo pants, a simple light blue shirt and leather jacket. Sitting down on the blanket opposite her he commented.

"Nice spot."

"Yep. You can see the whole park from here." And they could, Faith looked around her again, the view was almost breathtaking, with only a few other people apart from themselves enjoying the beautiful fall day.

"I remember the first time you brought me here. It was the day after we arrived here and I was feeling really homesick already, so you brought me here." Athena offered, looking over at her mother as she sat down next to Jack.

"You remember that?" Faith asked, that day was a blur for her, she'd only know Athena had Cancer for a few days, in fact that whole time was a blur.

"Yeah. You brought me here 'cause it was the first place your dad brought you and it made you feel better." Athena explained, for some one who knew so much, her mother knew very little about her own life.

Faith nodded slowly. "You could be right."

"I'm always right!"

Faith raised her eyebrows at her daughter's statement. "You are?"

"Yup, and you know I am."

Faith sighed and said sarcastically. "What ever you say."

The rest of the day passed quickly through half-assed attempts at playing baseball, a strange version of tag and Athena and Jack having a belching contest, which Faith refused to join in with, so watched in disgust. When Athena announced she was going to belch the national anthem Faith cut in and stopped her.

"Now this I draw the line at. No belching the national anthem!"

Both Jack and Athena pulled disappointed faces in an attempt to change her mind through guilt.

Faith turned her attention to Jack. "And you're an adult, you shouldn't be encouraging her!"

Jack just grinned. "I'm just a big kid at heart."

"Great, I thought I was only looking after one child today."

"Come on, let's give your mom a break." Jack said to Athena. "You wanna go get an ice cream?"

"Yes please."

"You want anything?" Jack asked Faith.

"No thanks."

"Sure?"

"Sure."

"Come on then." He said taking Athena's hand and starting off across the park to the ice cream stand, which was a good walk away. He found that his mind immediately found it's way back to Faith, she was doing a good job at pretending she was okay, but he was to good at the game she was playing not to pick up the signs that she wasn't. As Faith wore no make-up, it wasn't hard to pick up on the fact she had probably been up for the best part of the night crying. She had not eaten all day, despite providing food for Athena and him; she had touched nothing herself and he was positive she had briefly smelled of cigarette smoke, despite not smoking.

Faith was putting on a good show for Athena, pretending that she was accepting what was going to happen, but Jack knew it was only a matter of time before the little girl saw through the act. Faith had to find a way to deal with the problem and the inevitable death of her daughter. As much as he hated it and how much it hurt him, he knew Athena was going to die, but he wasn't sure that Faith did.

"Jack?" Athena cut into his thoughts.

"Yeah?"

"My mom likes you, you know."

"She does?"

"Yeah."

"It's good to make new friends."

Athena paused in thought. "You like her too."

"We get on okay."

Athena paused in thought for a little longer. "My momlikesyou.

"You said that."

"No, I said my mom likes you. Now I'm telling you my momlikesyou."

"Has she told you that?" Jack knew what Athena was getting at.

"She doesn't have to. I just know."

"Athena, I don't think your mom likes me like that."

"Yes she does. And you like her too."

"Athena I-"

Athena stared at him, an unbelieving statement written across her face. "I don't believe you."

"You don't even know what I was going to say."

"Yes I do. You were going to lie and deny liking my mom."

"It's not that I don't like your mom, just not like that."

"Why?"

"Why what?"

"Why don't you like my mom? Like that."

"Because, I...er...she-" Jack couldn't find an answer, because there was none, other than denial.

"She's very pretty, she's really smart and funny. What's not to like?"

"It's complicated."

"It's only complicated because your lying, I know you like her really."

"No. It's just complicated."

They arrived at the stand and Jack brought him and Athena an ice cream each and a soda for Faith, he had also noticed she wasn't drinking much either. As they walked away from the stand, Athena resumed the persistence of their earlier conversation.

"You should kiss my mom."

"What?"

"You should kiss my mom. She'd like that."

"I don't think so."I know from experience kid.

"Why not? Her last boyfriend said she was a good kisser. He said lots of other stuff, but I didn't listen because it was vulgar."

Jack looked down at her with raised eyebrows.

"He was drunk." Athena explained. "My mom dumped him after that. She has bad luck with men." She paused. "He didn't like me."

"He didn't?"

"Nope. He wanted to send me to a children's home. I didn't like him either."

"Right."

"But I like you. You're nice to me. That's why you should kiss my mom, then we'd all be happy."

"I am not going to kiss your mom!"

Athena pouted at him.

"And that is not going to work!"

Faith sat down on the edge of the bed, next to Athena who was settled beneath her covers and yawning widely, despite the protests that she wasn't tired. They had only just returned from their day out and it was far too late for Athena to be up. They had all ended up going for food after leaving the park as the sunset and it got too chilled to be outside and had all returned to Faith and Athena's house, Jack included.

"Goodnight sweetie." Faith kissed her daughter's head.

Athena placed her hand on her mothers. "Mom?"

"Yes sweetie?"

"Can we talk?"

"Of course, in the morning."

"No, it has to be now."

"Okay, but it can't take long. I want you to get a good nights sleep."

"It all depends on you mom."

"It all depends on me?"

"Yeah."

"Athena, what is this about?"

"Mom, without meaning to sound patronising, do you know what's happening to me?"

"Sweetie?"

"What's wrong with me. What's going to happen to me."

"Yes, you're sick sweetie, I know that."

"Mom, I think you're denying what's going to happen to me."

Faith was silent.

"Mom. I'm going to die. Soon."

"Don't say that."

"Mom. You can't hide from it forever. When you stop denying it, it can stop hurting."

"Athena, you're my daughter. It's never going to stop hurting."

"I'm not hurting mom. It's my time to go, I know that. You need to understand that you can't save me."

"Athena..."

"Mom, there's nothing that we can do. I don't want it to end with you being upset and sad. I want to spend time with you."

"And we have. Today."

"Today you were pretending."

"Pretending? Pretending what?"

"That you're okay. That you've dealt with this. That you weren't up all last night crying."

"Athena-"

"No mom. I want to be with the old mom. The one who was happy and funny, the one who was genuine."

There was a pleading in Athena's eyes, one that Faith couldn't ignore.

"Whatever you want sweetie."

"Mom."

"Yes."

"Promise me you'll get this out of your system. So we can be normal, so we can have fun."

Faith nodded before kissing Athena goodnight and leaving her room.

"I promise."

Sitting down on the couch next to Jack, Faith could see him looking at her out of the corner of her eye. Pulling off her glasses, she rubbed her eyes before resting her head in her hands, her shoulders involuntarily shaking as she fought back tears.

"Faith?" Jack asked.

She didn't have the strength to answer him, because then he'd want her to explain.

"What's wrong."

Putting her glasses back on Faith stood and walked out of the room, not stopping until she reached the door to the yard, which she unlocked and walked out of. Sitting down on the cold stone slabs that led to a large grassy lawn, Faith hugged her legs close to her body and looked up at the stars, everything around her was silent and calm until Jack sat down beside her. As he wrapped a thick jacket around her shoulders she looked over at him, he was wearing his leather jacket again, not that she blamed him, it had gotten cold.

"You wanna tell me what's wrong?" He asked.

Faith didn't answer, only directed her vision back up to the stars.

"Did Athena say something?"

Faith nodded slowly.

"What did she say Faith? I can't help if you don't tell me."

So Faith explained the conversation that passed between her and her child with Jack sat besides her, listening in silence.

"Faith, I don't know how to put this-"

"But you agree with Athena right?"

"In a way, yeah. I do."

"In a way?"

"She's always gonna know whether your okay or not. She's a smart kid."

"She knows me too well."

"You're not going to be able to hide it from her."

"How can I keep my promise to her. How can I just forget and act like I don't know my daughter is going to die."

"Faith, no one is asking you to do that. Athena knows it's something that you just can't do. She just wants to understand she's not got mush time left and she doesn't want to spend it with you being depressed. Faith, you're gonna have plenty of time to do that, but you haven't got long with your daughter. Take her advice, get all of your anger and emotion out now, don't let it build up."

Faith nodded. "I know you're right, both of you."

"I can stay if you want. Sleep on the couch."

"I think I'm gonna sleep in the yard tonight."

"Got a spare sleeping bag?"

Faith settled down in her sleeping bag, her head leaning against Jacks shoulder.

"She's a smart kid." Jack commented.

"I know. She could of ended up smarter than me."

"Don't go down that road Faith. Thinking of the 'what ifs' and the 'maybes' are only gonna make you feel worse. They never help."

"I know."

"How did she get so wise?"

"Me, kinda. She knows more about my life than I do. She knows where I went wrong, my mistakes. She's grown from them."

"Lucky kid."

"Unlucky me."

"No. Just think of all the things you'd of missed out on if you hadn't of made those mistakes."

"I never pictured you as the philosophical type."

"I'm not. I think I've been spending to much time with you."

"There's still time to run, if you want to."

"Nah. I think I'll stick around for a while. I've got my own promise to keep."

Faith smiled warmly at him. "Thank you."

"You're welcome."

Faith thought in silence for short period of time, before saying.

"I'm gonna miss her, you know."

"I know you are." Jack looked over at Faith, she had started to cry, at first a gentle flow of tears down each cheek, that soon became heart wrenching sobs that wracked her body. He took his arms out of his sleeping bag and pulled Faith up against him, her head nuzzling into chest, where she stayed sobbing for the rest of the night.

As the sun slowly began to rise on the far away horizon, Faith's tears began to subside and as they ended, Jack knew she had completed her promise to her daughter. She understood, and knew grieving could only begin once Athena was gone. This time was for them.

Jack stepped out of the elevator, yawning widely as he made his way down the familiar corridor to the office of Dr Daniel Jackson. As he entered the dimly lit office that was filled with the usual mess and disorder, a raised eyebrow to the fact he was still dressed in his civilian clothes met him. Crumpled, messy and dirty civilian clothes, which he looked like he'd slept in. The question in Daniel's mind was where he had slept in his civvies and why.

"I'm not staying Danny-boy." Jack answered one of Daniel's unspoken questions.

"Oh, okay. I was thinking more on the lines of, did you sleep in a Dumpster?"

"No I did not Daniel." Jack replied coolly.

"Oh." Daniel had been expecting more of an explanation.

"I slept in the yard."

Daniel was beginning to wish he had never asked. Jack offered no further explanation and Daniel decided that it was probably better not to ask any more questions.

"So Danny-boy, why have you dragged me all the way up here on my down time, and why the hell are you here on your down time?"

"Well, I'm here because I wanted to go over the work Fa- Dr Hudson did on PX2 983."

"And I'm here because?"

"Of the work Dr Hudson did before she went to PX2 983."

Jack sat looking confused, waiting for Daniel to explain further.

"Mixed in with some of the papers from the planet, I found some that shouldn't of been there. Dated from before she even knew about the Stargate project."

"Daniel, you haven't been snooping through her things, have you?"

"No. I found them with the ones she gave me."

"So what's so special about these papers?"

"It's translation work."

"Without sounding obvious or anything, but isn't that what you guys do?"

"Jack, she was translating Goa'uld."

"What? You've got to be kidding."

"I wish I were. It's only a few lines but she's used other resources and evidence of the Goa'uld text."

"Is that possible."

"Technically yes. It is possible to translate an unknown text using greater pieces of the same language, but it's very difficult and time consuming."

"So what you're saying is Dr Smart-ass has taught herself Goa'uld?"

"No, not quite. She could translate a vast amount of Goa'uld text, I doubt she could speak it, but learning it would take no time at all."

"Wow."

"Yeah, I was pretty shocked myself."

"As interesting as this has been Danny-boy, couldn't you have told me over the phone."

"That's not the only reason why I called you here Jack."

"What do you want Daniel."

"I want you to come and talk to Hammond with me."

"Daniel, I think you're old enough and been here long enough to be able to go and speak to Hammond by yourself."

"Jack. I need you to talk to him, to help me."

"With what?"

"I want to convince Hammond to take on Dr Hudson permanently."

"Danny, I don't think-"

He doesn't know about Athena? Oh God, no one phone him!

"Jack?"

"Nothing."

I can't tell him, not while he's so excited about getting Faith a job; after all she can refuse it. And it's not my place to tell him his daughters dying. I'll send him round.

"Do you think Hammond will agree?"

"I don't know Daniel. What's brought this on?"

"I ruined her career Jack, this way I can get it back on track for her. She loved the idea of gate travel and I need help, be it going through the gate or here."

"Okay Daniel. We'll go talk to Hammond."

Jack slumped down in the chair that sat facing General Hammond on the opposite side of his desk and waited for Daniel to shut the door on his way out. Daniel had pleaded his case to the General and Jack had instructed him to leave so he could say his bit, something Daniel couldn't hear.

Being on down time, Jack knew this would be a conversation between Jack O'Neill and George Hammond, not between Colonel and General, and because of the nature, Jack was glad.

"Jack?" Hammond asked.

Jack contemplated his response before speaking. "Off the record?"

"I thought that might be your request."

Jack waited for confirmation or denial.

"Off the record."

"George, you gonna offer Faith the job?"

"Faith?"

"Dr Hudson." Jack corrected himself.

"With the praise Dr Jackson and yourself have given her, her qualifications and the information of the Goa'uld translation, I feel she would be a welcome addition to the SGC."

"She's on board?"

"That all depends on Dr Hudson."

"George, what if I told you I already knew she was gonna say no if you asked her now."

"If you told me that Jack, I'd have to ask how you know that for a fact."

"George, she has a kid."

"I know Jack." He gave him a knowing look.

"You know that-"

"Yes Jack, I do know that Dr Jackson is the father, he informed me after the briefing for the mission to PX2 983."

"Her kid has Cancer George, two years to live if she's lucky."

"Does Dr Jackson know this?"

"Not yet."

"Are you going to tell him?"

"You know it's not my place George."

Hammond stared at him.

"I am going to point him in Dr Hudson's direction before I go."

"I see."

"She's not gonna leave her kid George. Not to come and work here, not now anyway."

Jack could tell Hammond was thinking.

"You were gonna give her the job before Daniel suggested it, weren't you."

"It had been decided that she would be a more than welcome addition to the SGC."

Jack nodded.

"Jack, I understand you have spent some time with Dr Hudson."

"Yeah."

"What would it take?"

"This is about her kid George. It's all it's ever going to be about."

"Speak to her Jack. We're willing to offer her child medical care with Dr Fraiser, time off and a majority of optional gate travel. Full pay."

"George?"

"She's very talented. The SGC needs more people like her and Dr Jackson."

"What about her kid and the gate. Does she need to sign the papers?"

"Of course she does Jack. You think she can keep it a secret?"

"George, the kid is smarter than me. She can keep a secret."

"Speak to Dr Hudson and inform me of her decision so the appropriate arrangements can be made."

"Sure."

Jack stood up and made his way to the door, stopped by Hammond.

"And Jack."

"Yup."

"Speak to Dr Jackson."

Jack nodded and left the office.

Faith opened her front door after the second set of rings from the bell, stifling a yawn as she did so, her eyes widening as she registered that it was Daniel stood in front of her. She was just about to head up to bed, spending the whole night awake crying onto Jack had really taken it out of her and as Athena was in bed sleeping off the excitement of the day before, it was a convenient time.

"Daniel?"

I haven't told him. Oh my God, I haven't told him.

"Yeah, Jack dropped me off."

"Jack?"

"He said you had to talk to me. Urgently." He looked worried.

"Yeah, I do."

Faith led Daniel into front room, and as she closed the open door she noted Jack was sat out in his jeep, a supportive smile aimed in her direction. Returning to Daniel, Faith sat down and slowly began to explain the bad news, with a new found calm she had not yet put to the test. When Daniel expressed concern for her, she explained Athena's request and the soul searching she had done the night before editing the Jack part, though she got the feeling Daniel knew he had been there.

Faith could tell Daniel didn't know what to do or say, she knew the feeling, so many conflicting emotions that not one could be expressed as they all fought for recognition. Faith moved closer to Daniel on the couch, reaching up she pulled his glasses of his nose and after putting them onto the coffee table, she pulled him into a warm embrace. Faith didn't know how long they sat with Daniel's head buried in her shoulder, silent tears seeping through her shirt, not that she minded, she had done this and now Daniel had to.

The silence and calm of their moment was only broken by a soft voice coming from the doorway.

"Mom?"

Faith looked up, aware that Athena was stood in the doorway, watching her and Daniel.

"Yes Sweetie?"

"Can I have some water?"

"Sure."

Daniel picked up his glasses from on the table and put them on. It had been a long time; nearly a year in fact since he had seen Athena last, what stunned him the most was the amount she had grown, and the oddity of her eyes. Like him she had brilliant bright blue eyes, but in with her dark Egyptian skin and mothers defined features, they shone even brighter. A pang of pain hit him like it always did when he saw her, when he thought of how much of her life he had missed, and now how much of it they would all miss.

"Daniel?" Athena asked after studying the visitor that she had just assumed would be Jack.

He nodded.

"I told him." Faith explained.

Athena nodded. "Okay. I'm still tired, can I go back to bed and see Daniel tomorrow?" As much as she loved her father and wanted to spend time with him before the inevitable, she was too tired to even pretend that she wasn't. To show that it was nothing against him Athena walked over to them, more specifically, Daniel and wrapped her skinny arms around him in a tight and warm hug.

"Come and visit soon." She instructed before kissing him lightly on the cheek and moving over to her mother.

Athena then hugged Faith tightly and whispered in her ear the instruction to give Daniel the instruction she had been given the night before, before going back up to bed.

After Athena had finished climbing the stairs Daniel announced that he 'should really be going'. Seeing him to the door Faith gave him another hug before he left and told him.

"I think you should do some soul searching of your own Daniel."

Before Faith even had a chance to sit down and collect up all her thoughts, there was another knock on the door, this time it was Jack.

"Jack?"

"Yeah. I can't stay for long." He explained. "Daniel's in the car."

"Right."

"I'm gonna take him home, make sure he's as okay as he's gonna get."

"Of course."

"I'm gonna come back, okay."

"Yeah. If that's okay."

"Sure it is." Jack assured, placing his hand in Faith's for a brief moment.

Faith handed Jack a key. "I'm gonna get some sleep, if I'm not awake, you don't have to stay."

Jack nodded. "Sure." Gripping her hand once more, before turning to leave he said. "Bye."

"Bye."

Jack handed Daniel a beer before sitting down on the couch beside him, they were back at Jack's house because he knew Daniel never had alcohol in his apartment unless it was his turn to host poker night. Daniel smiled gratefully, he wasn't usually one to drink, but this seemed like the perfect occasion to take it up as a full time hobby.

"Thanks."

"No problem."

Jack paused.

"How you feeling Daniel?"

"Numb."

"Numb?"

"Yeah." Daniel took a mouthful of his beer. "I don't think it's all quite registered yet."

"Lights are on but nobodies home?"

Daniel nodded, after a brief period of thought he asked. "How's Faith taking this? She didn't give away much."

"Faith?"

"I know you've been spending time with her Jack."

"But I-"

"You didn't have to say Jack."

"I don't want her to go down the same route I did. Either of you. What happens if you two don't have a Daniel Jackson to pull you back from the edge?"

Daniel looked at Jack, it was good to know that Jack hadn't forgotten what a mess he'd been on the first mission to Abydos, and how he'd over come it. Now Jack was returning the favour.

"Take it from some one who has experience Daniel, you don't want to end up like that."

"I know Jack. I'm scared I'm not going to miss her."

"What? Who?"

"Athena. I'm scared that I'm not going to go over the edge, that I'm not going to miss her like I missed Sha're."

"Don't start talking like that Daniel or I'm gonna have hit you."

"Jack?"

"Daniel, I've spent two days with that kid.Two days!And I'm gonna miss her."

"Jack, I haven't spent that much time with her in her entire life! I don't know anything about her. I don't know her favourite colour, I don't know what she likes to watch on TV, I don't know how well she's ding in school."

"Dammit Daniel, neither do I! But it's your job to find out."

"I don't think I can Jack."

"Daniel?"

"How can I just walk back into her life after all this time and expect her to play happy families with her?"

"Who said anything about happy families Daniel? This is about you getting to know your kid before it's too late. And believe me when I say that kid is smart enough to understand that."

Daniel simply looked at Jack.

"Daniel, if you don't do this you're gonna regret it for the rest of your life."

"Faith told me to do some soul searching of my own. I think this could be it."

"This?"

"How to say sorry to Athena."

"While you think about that. I gotta go talk to the pair in question."

"About?"

"Getting you some hired help at the SGC."

"What about Athena?"

"All taken care of. Why d'ya think I had to talk to Hammond?"

When Jack arrived back at Faith's house, he let himself in using the spare key she had given him, and silently went in search of her, not sure whether she would be awake or not. Not finding her on the lower level of her house, he decided that he'd go upstairs and check that Athena was okay, so made his way up the staircase. He found Athena's door ajar, so opened it just enough to see inside where she was in bed and fast asleep. Assured she was okay he made his way back along the corridor, noticing an open door opposite him, he poked his head around the frame to look inside, there he found Faith.

Fully dressed, she lay sprawled across the centre of her double bed, lost in a deep but well needed slumber, the late afternoon sun shining through her window and onto her face. Crossing the room silently Jack closed the drapes on her window and made his way over to Faith, carefully easing the blanket from underneath her he covered her with it. Leaning down over her, Jack placed a gentle kiss on Faith's forehead, her barely stirring beneath his touch, before going back downstairs.

Jack settled himself on the couch and switched the TV on, lowering the volume so not to wake either of the sleeping inhabitants of the house, deciding to stay. He had to talk to Faith and he knew that Daniel needed some time alone with his thoughts, being unable to return to his house, all he could do was wait. Yawning widely Jack fought the urge to join Athena and Faith in the land of sleep; after all, Faith had not been the only one not to get any sleep in the yard the night before. Before he knew it, his battle against sleep was lost and Jack fell into a deep slumber, stretched out along the full length of the couch.

Jack was awoken several hours later by Faith, to whom he explained his reason for his visit.

"What shall I tell Hammond?" he asked.

"Don't I get a little time to think about this?"

"Of course."

What was I thinking? Of course she isn't going to have an answer straight away. Get it together Jack!

"I'll think on it. Talk to Athena, see what she thinks."

"Sure. I should be heading back. I think Daniel's had enough time on his own by now."

Faith nodded.

"He's doing a little soul-searching of his own."

"I thought he might. Tell him to call anytime he wants. Day or night."

Jack nodded. "See ya tomorrow maybe?"

"That'd be nice."

"Tomorrow it is then." Jack gripped Faith's hand gently before they said their goodbyes.

When Jack arrived home, he realised just how late it was and how long he'd been asleep at Faith's, it was dark and had been for several hours. Jack began to get a little worried, as he found no sign of life inside his house except a few empty beer bottles. Panicking to where Daniel might have gone and more importantly what he might have done in a not so sober and verging on depressed state of mind, Jack cursed himself for leaving him. Deciding there was only one place left to look, Jack made his way up his ladder and onto his roof, where he let out a sigh of relief to find Daniel sat in one of the two chairs that never moved from their positions.

"Hey Danny." Jack said sitting down in the spare chair, his gaze following Daniel's up to the stars, they were always a good thing to look at when thinking.

"Hi Jack."

"You gave me a scare. Thought you'd done something stupid for a moment there."

"Sorry. Just thinking."

"Not a big shock considering it's you Daniel."

The small attempt at humour almost coaxed a smile to Daniel's lips, almost.

"Seriously, how you holding up."

"Okay, I think."

"You think?"

"Yeah, I will be."

"You will be?"

"Yeah. I know what I have to do."

"Good for you Danny-boy."

"I'm going to go and talk to Athena."

"You are?"

"Yeah. I think there's a few things I need to explain. We can see where it goes from there. See if she forgives me."

"Daniel, I've said it more than once, but I'll say it again. That kid has your smart genes times two! And more maturity in her little finger than I have in my entire body. You guys aren't gonna have a problem!"

"Jack, everyone has more maturity in their little finger than you do in your entire body." Daniel joked.

"Very funny Daniel, very funny." Jack replied sarcastically, before taking a serious note. "So no more of this stupid talk? Not for now anyway."

"No, not for now."

"Good. I gotta talk to Faith in the morning, you wanna crash in the spare room and I'll drop you round tomorrow."

Daniel nodded. "Thanks Jack."

"That's okay."

"For everything."

"What are friends for."

Patting the younger man on the back, Jack stood and made his way back down the ladder, leaving Daniel alone with his thoughts once more.

"Oh, and Jack." Daniel called out, before Jack could reach the bottom of the ladder.

"Yeah Daniel?"

"She likes you, just in case you were wondering."

"What? Who?"

"Faith. Who else are you worried about?"

Jack remained silent. God, how come everyone suddenly seemed to know what he felt for Faith, did he take out a billboard ad in his sleep announcing it?

"Just thought you'd like to know."

"I'm not interested Daniel."

"Of course you're not Jack."

Daniel's voice was laden with disbelief.

"So, what do you think I should do?" Faith asked Athena as they finished eating breakfast, she had just explained the job offer that had been plaguing her conscious all night long.

"What do you want to do?" Athena looked up at her mother.

"I want to be with you."

"Mom, you know that's never gonna happen. We need money."

"I know that. Talk about stating the obvious."

"So you've got to think about it money wise."

"Sweetie, money isn't all that matters."

Athena raised her eyebrows. She was well aware of the money trouble her mother was in; she owed far too much to her brother and barely earned enough on her university job to pay the bills, despite working more hours than humanly possible.

"It isn't." Faith assured with more force.

"Mom. The military would pay you good money, right?"

"Yes it would."

"And you'd get time off?"

"Yes I would."

"And you wouldn't have to work 23 hours a day to pay the bills, right?"

"True, but I would have to do some over time and maybe go away for a little while."

"But you'd like the job and it'd be okay hours right?"

"Right."

"Then what's the problem?"

"I want to spend my time with you, not working for the military."

"But mom, if you didn't work for the military, then what would you do?"

"I don't-"

"You'd keep on working long hours at the university and I'd never see you." Athena stated.

"Not necessarily."

"What would you do instead?"

"I don't know Sweetie."

"Exactly. It might be worse than your Uni job."

"I'd make sure it wasn't."

"Mom, if you work for the military, I get cared for on base right?"

"Yeah."

"And I'd get to come home with you at night?"

"I think so."

"Then you could come and visit me any time you wanted, right?"

"I guess so."

"Then we wouldn't really be apart, would we."

"I guess not."

Athena was about to speak again, when a knock at the door interrupted her. Glad her mother was warming to the idea of working at the base, if nothing else it gave Athena more of a chance to get her mom and Jack together. Which in the end was the ultimate plan, and if they were both there with him every single day, her task wouldn't be all that hard.

Speak of the Devil.Athena thought to herself as Jack entered the kitchen.

"Thought any more about Hammond offer?" He asked Faith.

She shot her daughter a look, one that said I'm taking your advice, for now, before saying.

"Where do I sign?"

*Fini*

(For now)

I promise there is more to come, so stay tuned.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Faith