Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Shade: Part 3

by Gene Este
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Shade: Part Three

Shade: Part Three

by Gene Este

TITLE: Shade: Part Three
AUTHOR: Gene Este
EMAIL: t_girl21@mail.com
CATEGORY: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama, Romance, Sam/Jack
SPOILERS: None
SEASON / SEQUEL: 4; part 3 of a series
RATING: PG-13
CONTENT WARNINGS: angst, language, violence, male/female relationship
SUMMARY: The SGC have a chance to rescue Sam...but it doesn't go as planned...
STATUS: Complete
ARCHIVE: Heliopolis
DISCLAIMER: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. We have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the authors. Not to be archived without permission of the authors.
AUTHOR'S NOTES: Here it is, finally!! Sorry that it took so long, but I had some *serious* writers' block. Anyway, couple people to thank: First of all, I want to thank those of you here on Helio who sent me feedback and kicked my but in gear. I appreciate it. And to Fanfiction.net, and the forum for cheering me up. And especially Trent Roman for reviewing, putting his two-cents in, and all around being kind. I appreciate that as well. I think that's pretty much it. Hope you enjoy (and feedback is a must)! Until next time, Let the games begin!

"SG-1, This is your new team member, Major Jose` Perez." Hammond then explained his qualifications; Perez was an astrophysicist, as Sam had been. Jack sensed himself getting angry, not at Perez or Hammond, but at the situation.If only Sam hadn't gone on that damn mission...He stopped himself. It wouldn't change anything to think that way, or to be angry. But he was anyway. He sighed.

"Colonel," Hammond said, getting Jack's attention. "Your next mission will be today at 1300. You'll be going to P7X-844..." Jack tuned out again.This is going to be a long day...

SG-1 stepped out onto a desert planet.At least there are no trees..."Okay, Daniel. Where are the inhabitants?"

Daniel pointed to the dune in front of them. "The village should be visible when we get to the top of that dune."

"Fine. Let's walk." They all trudged up the dune. Jack was getting massive amounts of sand in his boots, which did nothing for his mood. He hated sand. But then again, there wasn't a lot he didn't hate these days...

Now atop the dune, they were able to see the village, and people going about their business in black robes. "Let's go meet and greet. Teal'c you take point."

Closer now, Jack realized that what he thought were black robes were a strange kind of uniform, worn by the male-dominated residents. Now noticing they were there, a man in uniform called out what Jack assumed was a name, for right after a man came out of the tent nearest them. He stood there for a moment just studying them, then walked slowly up to them.

"What is your purpose here? Why have you brought a Jaffa through the Chaapa'aii?" he asked, weighing Jack up, and staring at Teal'c. Jack stole an alarmed glance at Daniel, but before Jack could say anything, Daniel spoke up. "We are peaceful travelers from a place called Earth. I am Daniel Jackson, this is our leader Colonel Jack O'Neill, Major Jose` Perez and the Jaffa is Teal'c." When the man said nothing, Daniel looked at Jack, who shrugged, and then back to the man. "I noticed you used the word Chaapa'aii," he pointed to the direction of the stargate, "Do you know the Goauld?"

The man looked as if he was deciding whether or not to tell them, and then apparently made up his mind. "Yes we do, very well. We are an army forming against the false gods. You have not answered my question. Why have you brought a Jaffa here?"

Teal'c walked forward. "Then we have something in common, for we also fight the Goauld. I am here with these men because I wish to free my people from them."

The man nodded. "I have heard stories of a Jaffa who fights with the Tau'ri, and when I first saw you I suspected you were that Jaffa, but I was not sure until now. You are welcome here, Teal'c," he turned to Jack and Daniel. "As are you, Colonel Jack O'Neill, Daniel Jackson, and Major Jose` Perez."

Jack spoke up. "Uh, Jack, Daniel, and Jose` will do fine."

The man nodded again. "I am Teran. I have heard of all of you. You are responsible for Ra and Hathor's deaths."

Daniel smiled. "Among others, yes. How long have you been fighting the Goauld?"

Teran looked out over the village, and started walking, motioning them to walk with him. "Since the Goauld took my people as slaves, long ago. We have only succeeded to defend ourselves against more raids, but I fear there are few of us left. Many have been killed and captured."

Daniel looked at the sand, remembering. "Our people have also. But we have not been enslaved. But believe me, the Goauld have tried."

Teran led them into a tent full of what seemed to be maps of some kind. There were also papers with strange writing on them, on what resembled a desk. On the desk beside the papers were several small devices, small enough to fit in a person's palm. He swept the room with his hand. "My people were once great. Our technology advanced; our children safe. But one night, the Chaapa'aii activated and aliens poured out. We had no chance to defend ourselves; there was no warning," he paused and sighed. "A small band of us, I was but a child myself then, escaped unnoticed. More of us gathered as we went from city to city, warning of what was happening. We call ourselves 'The Insurgence'. There were many men willing to fight when we first began. This is all that is left."

Daniel was quiet for a moment. "What happened to your families? Your cities?"

Teran motioned them to sit in chairs that were brought in while he had been talking. Once seated, he answered. "The Goauld took our families off the planet, where I do not know. They did not even bother to stay and relish in their victory. They merely destroyed our buildings, took our resources, and left. They come back periodically to mine Naquada from various parts of our world. We can sometimes keep them from it; but often not."

Daniel then related their story to the man. Their trip to Abydos, their other many dealings with the Goauld. The last thing he told was of Sam's capture and subsequent disappearance. The man stood up quickly; stuck his head outside of the tent and talked to one of the soldiers in a language Daniel couldn't understand. Then he turned and looked excitedly at Jack and Daniel.

"Forgive me, Colonel, but for several months now, my people have been watching a planet of endless dark. The Goauld have been stationed there; they come and go with many people every day. We have reason to believe that this is where many of our comrades have been taken, so they can be imprisoned and tortured for information. I have many scouts on different Goauld-occupied planets, but this is the only one we've found to be so full of activity. Perhaps this is where your friend has been taken as well."

Jack raised his eyebrows.Now we're getting somewhere...

"I don't know, Jack. It just seems a little too convenient." Daniel said, sitting in the briefing room.

Jack shook his head at Daniel lack of enthusiasm. "Come on, Daniel. We're in for some good luck. Look, you know I'm not a very trusting or optimistic guy, but I have a good feeling about these guys."

Teal'c nodded at this. "As do I, General Hammond. Having spoken with them at length, I find them to be very trustworthy."

General Hammond acknowledged Teal'c with a nod. Then he turned to Perez. "What do you think Major?"

Perez shifted in his chair. He looked reluctant in giving an answer. "I think I'm going to have to agree with Dr. Jackson on this one. It does seem a little too convenient. The goauld have already tried, and succeeded, to trick us once. It's possible that they think in giving us the chance to go after Major Carter, they'll be able to capture us as well. For example; they used the word 'Chaapa'aii'. If they hated the Goauld so much, why use their language?"

Jack narrowed his eyes at Perez. "Sir"-

"Colonel," the General warned, knowing what that look meant. "As much as I hate to say this, Major Perez and Dr. Jackson are correct. I don't like the scenario you'd be faced with if this were a trap. I can't allow you to risk your lives when we don't have any kind of information other than itmaybe where Major Carter is." Hammond gathered the reports that lay on the table. "I will, however, continue communications with the- The Insurgence. They may prove to be a valuable ally. Dismissed."

Jack got up quickly, angry with everyone in the room, except for maybe Teal'c. He made it to the hall before he heard Perez call his name. He turned around, ready to tell him off, but stopped himself when he saw the look of regret on Perez's face.

"What is it?" he asked briskly.

"Sir, I didn't know Major Carter. But I have heard great things about her. And since it's obvious that you and Teal'c believe that she's still alive after all this time, she was a resourceful and excellent soldier."

Impatient, Jack shifted his weight. "Your point is?"

Perez gave a small nod. "My point is, sir, that if what Teran said is true, and he does have people on that planet watching a prison, it's just a matter of time before the Goauld slip up and give him some reliable proof of it. And when they do, sir, I'd just like to say that I'll be the first one to volunteer to go get the Major back." With that he turned and walked off.

Jack shook his head, thinking that maybe he had been wrong to discount the kid so quickly. Daniel came up behind him and just stood there until Jack turned around. "What?"

Daniel stared at him. "Is it true?"

Jack shook his head, confused. "Is what true?"

Daniel sighed. "Do you believe Sam's still alive?"

Jack leveled his gaze at Daniel. "Yes, I do. I can't not believe it. She's been through too much, Daniel. We've all been through too much together for one of us, especially her, to go down like that. Killed by the Goauld, alone, while the rest of us were living it up on vacation. It'd be such a damned waste if she were dead." His words were angry, mirroring the constant rage he harbored at the thought of Sam's death.

Teal'c appeared in the hall beside Daniel. "I concur with O'Neill, Daniel Jackson. Like Major Perez stated, she is a very resourceful warrior. She would not allow herself to die with no serving purpose at the hands of the Goauld."

Daniel looked between them, and shook his head again. "I hope your right Jack. And I hope that if she's still alive, she'll keep herself alive. I hope she hasn't given up on us like we gave up on her."

Sam's leg hurt like hell. It was stiff, and she could barely bend her knee. She figured that the zat blast must've damaged her muscles and tendons, and the lack of treatment and her forced use of it probably was just making things worse. At least she had somehow avoided infection, which was amazing considering the filthy state of her clothes and the cell. The pain from her leg had steadily gotten worse over time, though Shade's pain blocks were helping considerably.

"You welcome," he said from the other side of the cell.

She grinned in the dark. "You really enjoy doing that, don't you?"

"I must find some way of passing the time in this place. Even if it means teasing you." He said affectionately. She knew he had a smile on his face too. They had grown closer in the past weeks. They knew practically everything about each other, and had had some great conversations. The opening of the cell door and the Jaffa motioning to her to get up and go with them shattered the relaxed mood. She leaned heavily on the wall, trying to keep her weight off her right leg. "Yeah, I'm coming." Moaning at the pain standing caused her; she walked with them out the door and towards the room where she would be tortured.

Somewhere in the dark, a man in a black uniform stalked across the forest, keeping low and hidden, until the right time came to show himself. He saw the ring through the trees, and his opportunity to save his captured comrades. He ran, amazingly fast for a man so drained, across the field that held the ring, in front of the aliens who guarded it. Alerted to his presence, they ran after him, using a communication device given them by their God to tell others of his incursion. Little did they know they had just triggered the first step in a plan of many more...

The Jaffa had been particularly cruel today, the hand device on the highest level that would do everything but kill her. She was hanging from the chains, too drained, as usual, to do or say anything. It was strange that Shade hadn't struck up a conversation mind-to-mind yet, for he more often than not talked to her as soon as the torture started. She was worried that something might have happened to him.

Samantha, you're being tortured and you're worried about me? You really do have a wonderful heart.

Not really. It was a selfish worry. I wanted you to talk to me to take my mind off the pain.

I knew that. But mostly, it was worry for me.

A siren-like noise ended their conversation and the Jaffa's torture. They looked out the door and saw Jaffa running by, and left Sam suspended in the chains to go see what was going on. Several minutes went by and they still didn't come back. She was started to feel the headache and nausea lessen.

Samantha, the guards of our room have left! Something must be happening outside.

This is probably a stupid question, but is the door unlocked?

I will see...Yes! It is!

Why would they leave the door unlocked if it was going to be unguarded?

I don't know. They left quickly, as I said there must be something going on.

Shade, you have to go, take advantage of this while you can!

I will not leave you, Samantha.

You have to! Go, now, before they come back!

I am coming to get you, Samantha.

Shade, there won't be enough time! They are going to realize that the prisoners are unguarded, and if they find you they'll kill you!

No they won't, Samantha, I am to valuable. I am the only one of my kind they have. The discussion stopped for a moment.

There are no Jaffa in the passageways, there should be no problem getting to you. Wait a moment.

Sam didn't have anything else to do but wait. True to his word, about a minute later Shade entered the room and walked straight to her. He looked at the shackles that bound her, and then turned around and went to get the key-like object the Jaffa use to lock the chains. When she was freed, she slumped against him, little energy to walk on her own. Without speaking they made there way to the doorway. Seeing the hallway stretch in both directions she looked up at Shade. "Which way do you want to go?"

"The cells are that way," he said, pointing to the way he had come, "and it stands to reason that the goauld would not put a possible exit by the cells should there be an escape." Looking right, he hesitated. "However, I do not know where that way leads."

Sam shook her head. "Either way, the odds are about the same, no matter which way we go, of getting out of here. So I pick that way." She pointed right, and they set out. They traveled past many different corridors that went in all directions, but they walked the same hallway, hoping that they would get some luck. And when the hallway curved to the right, luck they found. An exit, devoid of any Jaffa, lay there in front of them. They could see a forest just beyond it. They knew that once they got out, things would get tough, because there was a good chance that all of the Jaffa were out in those woods. But there was no telling exactly how many 'all' was. Two people against an indefinite amount of Jaffa in woods that they weren't familiar with, with no idea where the stargate was or what they would do once they got there wasn't exactly the best game plan Sam had ever come up with, but it would have to do considering the circumstances.

Taking a deep breath Sam looked up at Shade. "Let's go."

Jack had been asleep, dreaming of dark woods and the smell of fear when the klaxons sounded. He sat up straight in bed, cold sweat covering his body. He got up and got dressed, and then headed to the control room. He met up with Teal'c and Daniel, who never seemed to sleep anymore, in the hallway outside his quarters.

"What's going on?"

Daniel shrugged. "I'm not sure. I was in my room reading when I heard the klaxons."

They found themselves in the control room just in time to hear Simmons tell the General that they were receiving a transmission from P7X-844. Jack stole a glance at Daniel. "Isn't that...?" Daniel nodded before Jack could finish. "Teran's world, yes."

A voice came over the intercom. "Colonel O'Neill, are you there? Doctor Jackson"-

Jack leaned over and pressed a button on the console. "We're here Teran. What's going on?"

"We have received information from our scout on the planet of endless dark. He has put in motion a plan to save our comrades. We'll have the element of surprise, for the Goauld won't know we're there. I thought perhaps you would be interested in joining us."

The General raised an eyebrow at Jack. "Uh, why don't we get back to you on that?"

"Very well, Colonel. But don't take long. Time is of the essence." And with that the transmission cut off.

"Sir?" Jack looked at Hammond, hoping to get permission to go.

"Colonel, why don't we go into my office?" He said, and then led Jack out of the room. Once in his office, General Hammond sat down in his chair and regarded Jack for a moment. "Colonel, we talked about this."

Jack shook his head. "Sir, It would only be Myself, Daniel, Teal'c, and possibly Perez, if he volunteers. We don't need a lot of people for this one. It would be a Covert Op."

Hammond leaned forward in his chair, exasperated. "Jack, why should I let you go? There's literally no chance that Major Carter's alive. You'd just be risking your life and your team. Why? Give me one good reason I should let you do this."

Jack's gaze was steady and intense. "This is our last chance, sir. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if we didn't take it. I have to know."

Hammond stared, and then sighed. "I know I'm going to regret this. All right. But you had better make damn sure you don't get captured or killed. I don't want to have to change the codes again. Understood?"

Jack nodded. "Yes sir."

Sighing again, Hammond nodded back. "Dismissed."

Jack left to go contact Teran.

"Do we have any idea where we're going?" Sam asked, out of breath from half-running half-walking all the way.

"As far as I know, we do not."

Sam nodded against his shoulder, and then moaned at the pain emanating from her leg. Shade took a fleeting look at her face. "Do you need to stop?"

She laughed shortly. "The way I see it, it's going to hurt like hell whether I'm moving or not. And I'd much rather be moving."

"Very well."

Sam swallowed, trying to force down the nausea that the pain was causing. She wasn't sure how long she could keep up the pace. She figured that eventually she was going to have to say goodbye to Shade, and let him go without her. She was just slowing them down, and she couldn't stand being the reason they were caught.

"I think you forget that I can hear your thoughts, Samantha. I believe I have already made it clear that I will not leave you behind, no matter the circumstances or consequences. Now, there will be no more discussion on the matter."

She smiled in the darkness. "Yes sir." Just then, she heard shouting in the distance. She felt Shade's arm tighten around her waist as they quickened their steps.

The gate closed behind SG-1 and Teran's men, leaving them in complete darkness. "Which way did your man say?" Jack whispered.

Teran moved until he was right beside Jack. "It should be a mile or so, east from the gate."

Jack nodded, his eyes starting to become used to the darkness. "Let's go," He said, and then jerked his head sideways when he heard shouting.

I believe they spotted us, Samantha.

She heard his voice in her head, having made a silent agreement not to talk so they wouldn't give away their position.Yes, I think they have. Shade-

Just then, a staff came out of nowhere, hitting Shade in the back, throwing both of them to the ground. Shade landed face first on the ground, with Sam's leg just under him, causing her to bite her lip to hold back a cry.

"Shade!" She whispered urgently.

Quiet. Samantha, you must leave me.

No!

Listen to me. I cannot move or feel my legs, and the Goauld are closing in fast. There is no use you staying here now. We would only get captured again. Don't let this be for nothing.

No! You stay for me, I stay for you. We had this worked out.

No,Ihad this worked out. We never decided you would stay for me. You should gonow.

They'll kill you!

No, they need information from me. I'm too valuable to them. They'll heal me.

I'm not leaving you!

The shouting grew louder as the Jaffa came closer.

Yes, you are.GoNow! As fast as you can, go!

Tears filling her eyes and spilling over onto her cheeks, she bent down and kissed him on the cheek. He touched her face with his hand, his eyes still urging her to do what she desperately didn't want to.

"I'll come back. I promise." And with that, she pulled herself up and ran, leaving Shade lying on the forest floor, the Jaffa approaching not far behind. She sobbed at the pain she felt at leaving Shade, and at the pain from her leg. She looked back, seeing the Jaffa find Shade, brutally kicking him and pulling him up. She never should have taken the time, because she realized that one of the Jaffa had seen her and now was coming after her. "Faster!" She told herself brokenly. But she already was going as fast as she could. She seemed to be going in slow motion; which would explain, she thought, why she heard the staff go off before she felt it. She went down, clutching side and feeling warm liquid in her hand. It had just grazed her, if that were possible, but had still done considerable damage. Gritting her teeth, she looked up at the Jaffa standing over her. Amazingly still alert, she reached up and grabbed the staff weapon, catching the Jaffa off guard, used her legs to get leverage, and heaved him over her body and onto the grassy floor. She then brought the staff weapon up, which the Jaffa had let go of during his fall, turned over, and discharged it against his chest. The Jaffa was killed instantly. She stood and stared at his body, breathing hard. She stayed there for a moment, and then ran again, forcing the event out of her head and holding a hand to her side.

Teal'c appeared at Jack's side. "I believe we should move, O'Neill."

"Yeah. Unfortunately, that's the way we have to go."

"Then I suggest we get them before they get us," Daniel replied, somewhere behind him.

Jack raised an eyebrow at Daniel's words, and motioned them to go.

"Ok. Quietly, people." They walked for several minutes, covering ground quickly and stealthily. Hearing what seemed to be running, Jack held his hand up for everyone to stop. He moved forward to check it out and was hit head on and knocked down by the person who had been emitting the sounds. Fumbling for a flashlight, he found himself staring directly into a very familiar face. "Carter?"

Sam put a hand up to shield her unaccustomed eyes from the light. Her eyes widened when she realized who had said her name. "Colonel? Is that you?"

He moved forward and grabbed her shoulders, pulling her up. She winced as pain jabbed at her side. It was difficult for her to breath now; her breaths were short and raspy. "Carter! It's sure as hell good to see you!" "Sam!" She saw Daniel step up behind him. He pulled her into a hug. "Daniel, there's no time. We have to get out of here."

He stepped away and nodded. Sam caught sight of a man she didn't recognize. "Who are you?"

The man moved closer, becoming slightly illuminated by the flashlight, revealing a man in a dark uniform she wasn't familiar with. "I am Teran. I have a scout here that has made this possible. I have come to free my people from the Goauld"-

"Have you?" She said, cutting him off.

"Not yet, but"-

"Then you're not going to. There's no way you're going to get anywhere near the prison now. There's Jaffa everywhere. And your scout is most likely dead. I only escaped because all of the guards were out of the facility in these woods. And even then my companion was shot and I had to kill a Jaffa."

Daniel looked confused. "Your companion?"

"I don't have time to explain. We need to get moving. I'm sorry about your comrades, but we need to get moving before we all get killed." Or before I pass out, she silently added. Teran nodded, accepting her words. 'Then let us go. We have rescued you. For the moment, that is enough."

"Come on," he said prompting them to move. He noticed Sam limping heavily, and moved to her side. "Are you alright?" She nodded, but didn't speak. That worried him. She had a tendency to suffer in silence. But she seemed to be making good time, so he didn't offer help. But after five minutes, she finally collapsed. She scooted into a sitting position against a large rock, and coughed. Moving closer, he noticed blood trickle from the corner of her mouth. And when she shifted again and her jacket fell open, he saw her left side sopped with blood.

"Oh my god," She heard Jack say. She was finding it harder and harder to keep her eyes open, and she had to force herself to breath.

"Jesus, Sam, Why didn't you say something before?" Jack asked, holding a hand to her side to assess the damage. She let a groan escape her lips, no longer able to hold it in.

"There was no time before." She tried to take a deep breath, only to cough up blood. "Teal'c, you there?" She asked.

"I am, Major Carter." He moved into the light from Jack's flashlight.

"Teal'c did you cover up your tracks? Do they know you're here?"

"They do not. And they will not."

She nodded. "Good. Then you won't be in danger. Sir, you have to leave me here."

The Colonel jerked his head up. "What? There's no way in hell I'm leaving you here"-

"Sir, you have to. It's the only way I'll survive."

"No. I'll Teal'c carry you back to"-

"Sir, we both know that even if we get back to Earth there'll be nothing Janet can do. She'll only be able to make me comfortable while I die slowly. If you leave me here, the Goauld will use a healing device. They want my knowledge; they'll keep me alive. Ironic, isn't it? The ones who did this will be the ones to save my life." Her mind was clouding up; she couldn't seem to focus.

"Sam"-

"If you go before the Jaffa come and see you, they'll never know you were here. So they won't be expecting you. You can come back, and surprise them. But now isn't the time."

Jack shook his head. "I can't."

She raised her hand, put it against his cheek and moved her thumb up and down below his eye. "Yes you can. You have to."

Again she heard shouting, a telltale sign that the Jaffa was closing in. "Jack," she said, her voice becoming faint while she used all her remaining energy to maintain consciousness. "You have to go now."

Jack swallowed. Knowing that he had no other choice, he took the hand that suspending on his cheek, and held it against her side. "I'll be back. I promise," he whispered, and then took the men back to the stargate to go home.

After watching them go, she gave into the darkness. Her last thoughts were how beautiful the stars were that night and that she had kept her promise to Shade after all...

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Gene Este