Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Every Road Leads Back

by Joker
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Every Road Leads Back

Every Road Leads Back

by Joker

Title: Every Road Leads Back
Author: Joker
Email: j_o_k_e_r_95380@yahoo.com
Category: Filk/Song
Episode related: 405 Divide and Conquer
Season: Season 4
Pairing: Jack/other
Rating: G
Warnings: none
Summary: Jack and Sam finally sort it all out.
Sequel to: Read My Mind and Not a Day goes By
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).

" Jack that's an ancient Mayan mask." Daniel said nervously to his friend. " It's kind of cool." Jack replied holding the mask up in front of his face. " Yes it is but it's very old." Daniel said taking the mask from Jack and putting it back on a shelf. Turning back to Jack he said, " Not that I don't enjoy your company but you've been here for an hour is there something you needed?" Jack, who now had picked up a book, was flipping through the pages asked, " What? I can't come down here and visit my favorite archeologist." " Sure Jack you're welcome anytime," Daniel said taking the book from Jack and placing it back on the shelf. "It's just I have a lot of work to do and I have a feeling that it's not me you want to be annoying." Daniel added.

Jack raised his eyebrows, " Annoying?" Daniel trying to hide his smile said, "Did I say annoying? I meant visiting." " Yeah sure you did Danny besides I don't know who you could possibly be talking about." Jack said stick his hands in his pockets resisting the urge to pick up any more of Daniel's "ancient artifacts."

Daniel watched Jack pace back and forth " Oh will you just go talk to Sam." Daniel finally said. Jack sighed, " What am I supposed to say to her?" " Say what ever needs to be said, Janet told me that after the incident Sam hasn't been sleeping well. Go find out why? " Daniel said. With that Jack left Daniels office.

"Come in." Sam said to the knock at her door. Jack walked in to find Sam looking through a microscope at something. " Whatcha doing there?" he asked. " Looking at some of the samples we brought back." She said not looking up. " Hey Carter are your eyes glued to that thing?" Jack asked.

" Sorry Sir." She said finally looking up. "What can I do for you?" she asked. " Actually it's what I can do for you." He told her. " Ok what can you do for me then Sir?" she asked. " I came here to take you topside for a walk." He said. Sam looked at him then back at her desk that was cover with paper work and said, " That would be nice Sir, but as you can see I have a lot of work to do."

" I'm ordering you to take a walk with me. Your work can wait. " He said. He wasn't joking this time he wasn't quite sure what was keeping her up at night but he wanted to know if it was the same thing that kept him awake at night. " Ok then if it's that important." Carter said giving in and getting up from her desk. " Good let's go." Jack said opening the door for her.

They took the elevator and told the guard at the entrance that they would be out taking a walk if needed. They walked to the woods in the back of the huge facility. "So what's on your mind Sir?" Carter asked. "Actually I want to know what's on yours. Rumor has it that you aren't sleeping too well anymore." Jack said. " I swear Janet has a big mouth. I've just had a lot on my mind." She admitted.

They spotted a log and went to sit down. " Like what?" Jack asked. She thought a moment and then said, " I've been thinking about Martouf, that day and you." " What about it all?" Jack asked. " I keep playing it over and over again, what happened to Martouf, what I did to him." She said. Jack put his hand on her shoulder and said, " It wasn't your fault. You did what he needed you to do." " Part of me, the soldier thinks like you, suck it up and move on. Then there's the part that cared for him." She told him. "You mean Jolinar? He asked. " No I mean me, Samantha Carter, cared for him." She admitted. " You know Carter just because you're a soldier it doesn't mean you have to be tough all the time. You can share your feelings." He told her. How badly he hurt seeing her upset. He wished he could hold her and tell her it was ok. Not all of him was the uncaring solider people thought he was. "That was a very emotional day all around." Sam said. "How do you figure?" Jack asked. She turned to face him and said, " I know we promise but I can't do it anymore. I need to tell you something."

"Wait," Jack said getting up, "Make sure this is what you want." He warned her. " I am sure. I have been for awhile but didn't know if I could tell you." She said. Jack started pacing and asked, " This is about what I said during that stupid test isn't it? I knew it made you uncomfortable, something changed but I can't say I'm sorry because I'm not. I meant everything I said. I care for you a lot and. ." He was cut off when Sam placed her hand on his lips. When did she get up? Jack thought. She removed her hand and said, " I don't want you to take it back. Your right something did change that day, I finally knew that you loved me too."

They went and sat back down on the log and Jack looked into her eyes and said, " I do love you Sam. I have for a long time. I never knew how to tell you or even if I should. I thought that if we didn't hang around each other as often as before that it might get buried and I could just forget but no matter what I seemed to do to forget somehow I always came back to you. There wasn't a day that I didn't think of you and the possibilities. I was afraid to tell you, afraid you wouldn't love me back." Sam smiled and told him, " I thought of the possibilities too. That first night we danced I couldn't stop my mind from going into double overdrive. There were times while we danced that I wished you could read my mind and just know that I loved you."

With that Jack announced, " I'm going to kiss you now." And he leaned over, their lips met. When they parted Jack asked, " Well how about you come home with me and you get some rest?" " Do you think that's wise?" Sam questioned. "I'm under doctors orders to make sure you get some rest." Jack told her smiling. " In that case let's go." Sam said standing up.

They went back to the base and while Sam grabbed a change of clothes Jack locked up his office and they headed to the elevator. They reached the parking garage and hopped into his truck. " You know it's kind of funny. If we never said anything to each other because we were afraid of how the other person felt we never would have known how much we loved each other." Sam pointed out as they pulled into his driveway. " I can travel to different worlds, fight the Goa'uld, at times face death and the possibility of never getting home again but I couldn't face that you might not love me and it ruining what we already have." He admitted as they got out of his truck and headed to his front door. " Welcome to my humble palace." He said opening the door to let her in. She smiled at him and asked, " You do know I've been here before right?" "Yeah but not like this. I thought I had to say something special." He said as he threw his keys on the counter. " Well I'm going to change and get ready for bed." She announced.

When she finally came out of the bathroom she found him in the bedroom. " Nice jammies." He said looking at her white cotton tank top and blue pajama bottoms covered with fluffy clouds. " Thanks." she said walking over to him and kissing him. "Which side you want?" he asked. " Doesn't matter." She told him. "If you don't sleep comfortable tonight I'll catch hell from Janet." He told her. " I'll take the right then." She said getting in bed. Jack took off his shirt and crawled in on the left. Sam cuddled up next to him her arm draped over his chest. He wrapped his arm around her and gently stroked her hair. He lied there listening to her breathe in and out and soon she was asleep, her head against his heart.

As he lay there holding her he thought about his life without her. Yes they worked together watching each other's backs but she wasn't in his life, not like this, not like how he wanted her to be. He felt like it had taken forever to get here but now he was and he wasn't going to let go. He loved her and she loved him and even though the rules didn't allow it he was happy that their hearts finally could, that he finally could love someone again. Jack leaned over and flipped on the clock radio on the night -stand. A woman's voice serenaded them with beautiful words,

Old friend here we are,
After all the years and tears,
and all that we've been through.
It feels so good to see you
Looking back in time
There've been other friends and other lovers, But no other one like you
All my life, no one ever has known me better.

I must have traveled down a thousand roads Been so many places, seen so many faces Always on my way to something new
Oh but it doesn't matter
'Cause no matter where I go,
Every road leads back,
Every road just seems to lead me back to you

Old friend there were times
I didn't want to see your face
Or hear your name again
Now those times are far behind me
It's so good to see your smile
I'd forgotten how nobody else
Could make me smile the way you do
All this time you're the one I still want beside me

I must have traveled down a thousands roads Been so many places, seen so many faces Always on my way to something new
Oh but it doesn't matter
'Cause no matter where I go,
Every road leads back,
Every road just seems to lead me back to you....

As Jack slowly drifted off a smile of contentment crept across his face and he held Sam a little tighter. He knew now that the possibilities were endless this was just the beginning of a new road, no more looking back, no more solo journey. They had fought to be together in more ways than one and now they could be.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Joker