Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Small Village

by Kate
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Small Village

Small Village

by Kate

Title: Small Village
Author: Kate
Email: sorsha16@hotmail.com
Category: Thoughts, Drama, Holiday, POV, Romance
Pairing: Jack/Janet
Season: 5
Holiday: Christmas
Rating: PG
Content Warnings: language
Status: Completed
Summary: ~It takes a village to raise a child~
Mild Jack/Janet
Mostly about Cassie
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. We have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the authors. Not to be archived without permission of the authors.
Author's notes: If you don't go for the Jack and Janet stuff I can send you a copy without the romance. Just let me know.
I have to give credit to StarFinn because I got the idea when scanning her webpage and looking at the wallpapers.

The Mother, The Comfort
Janet

I didn't give birth to her. I never carried her inside of me; never went into labor. My water never broke.

But I did braid her hair. I held her when she cried. Made her soup when she was sick.

I put Band-Aids on scraped knees.

I watched her sleep...hell, I still do.

Cassandra's always been a free soul. Stubborn when she puts an effort to it, which is too damn often.

They skipped me straight to the teen years without the 'Terrible Twos' as training.

I see happiness in her eyes though. Christmas isn't so happy for some of us. Most of us I guess. But I think she has the right idea about it.

I watch softly as she opens presents, one by one, and I see joy. Not only on her face - but also on everyone else's as well. Sam's face is happy, but she misses her family. And maybe I imagine it but - I swear I see jealousy in her eyes.

Not in desperation.

But she'll smile in Cassie's direction, and look to me in pain. I know she doesn't feel it intentionally - but it's there just the same.

In all honesty, I think it's strengthened our friendship. We take turns with the mother/best friend role. But I think it hurts Sam that I get to take Cass home and make her dinner. I kiss her goodnight.

My gaze flickers to the others. The General has soft joy in his glance. Trying to subdue the smile that tugs at his lips as he watched his 'kids'. Sweet man.

We disagree often. I dare say he'd never glance twice at the Hippocratic Oath, but he cares for his people. So I forgive him of his medical transgressions if he'll forgive my stubborn tendencies.

And I was wondering where Cassandra gets it. Hmmm...

Daniel sits quietly on the floor. He's being very low-key lately. Again, Christmas without family. I think he feels slightly lost. We all do.

He smiles and those blue eyes seem happier as Cass speaks to him. He loves her as much as everyone else in this room. He's just taking a more calm and cool approach.

Teal'c stands behind him, eyes trailing over my Christmas tree. Well - correction - our Christmas tree. We all chipped in on the decorating and I'm pretty happy with the result. I smile when I notice stray strands of tinsel across his back. Cassie's doing, or maybe Jack's.

Speaking of Jack.

"Jan, I put the champagne in the fridge to chill." His hand sweeps the arch of my back. Fingers trailing my waist.

Evil man. He knows my weaknesses.

He'll pay for that.

"Thanks." I whisper and turn to find him grinning like the Cheshire Cat.

"What'd you do?" I arch a brow, worry in my tone. I know that look. He points up slowly with that grin, eyes locked to mine in humor.

"Mistletoe."

I should have known. Jack had been roaming around with it all evening, explaining the whole bloody concept to Teal'c. He'd even gotten Sam to give the mildly confused Jaffa a soft peck on the cheek. Now he'd pinned it to the doorframe.

Right above my head.

"That's so cliche Jack." I answer with a laugh.

"You have to," Cassandra smirks, "it's tradition."

"Yeah," O'Neill grins, "and if you don't, it'll confuse Teal'c."

With a grin I slide a hand along his cheek, skimming my thumb on his bottom lip. I don't really enjoy kissing him with an audience...and the General is here. But I know that if Jack weren't confident in Hammond, he wouldn't have started this game. I press my lips warmly to his. A soft kiss. Not flashy or too hungry. Gentle, romantic, true.

The soft giggle from Cassie drags my attention back to everyone else and I blush, tucking my face into his chest. I hear Cass start chattering on about a legend they had on Hanka. Something about presents and an old man. Their Santa Claus I suppose.

I move my eyes back to her as she speaks. She's so confident here. Surrounded by people who really care about her. Who will protect and guide her.

As a mother, it gives me a load of comfort.

The Colonel, The Surrogate Father
Jack

That's why this woman turns me on so damn much. She takes the sweetest kiss and turns it into themost touching embrace I've had in...forever. I love the feel of her face pressed against my chest, flushed in embarrassment. I press a soft kiss into her hair and meet the General's gaze over her head.

It was a gutsy gamble O'Neill.

But it worked.

Hammond offers me a crooked brow and the hint of a smile. He cocks his head a bit with a fatherly gaze and shrugs his shoulders in a 'what kiss?' fashion.

Janet's gaze turns and I follow it to Cassie. God that little girl means so much. Sg1 loves her desperately, Carter the most.

For me, she's a reminder.

Cassie shows me what I lost that day Charlie died. And yet...she reminds me what it's like to have the love of a child one more time.

To be a father...just one more time.

The Uncle, The Teacher
Daniel

I hate Christmas. I'm allergic to pine. Not really, it was just a joke. But it made everyone laugh. I guess tonight isn't so bad. Better than some of the Christmases I've had. I'm actually enjoying myself. Enjoying my friends...er family. My so-called niece.

Cassie's rattling on about cultural traditions on Hanka. Her eyes are just flashing in pure excitement. I just know she'd make an incredible anthropologist.

There's so much I could teach her.

The Brother, The Guardian
Teal'c

Their customs are strange, but I am enjoying them. They are no stranger than Jaffa customs would be to the Tau'ri.

I enjoy Daniel Jackson's story of the obese man making his way down the chimney. Although I did not understand the comment O'Neill made concerning 'scorched cheeks'. Everyone else seemed to find it humorous though.

Cassandra seems to enjoy the laughter as she scooches between O'Neill and Doctor Frasier. The doctor wraps an arm around her daughter and kisses her hair.

She is an appealing child. Amusing and bright. I worried for her welfare once...but now I believe I am just one more guardian for a beloved child.

The Grandfather, The Leader
George

She's a strong child, I have to admit. I didn't really believe she'd do too well at first. She seemed a little too dependent on the Doctor and the Major.

She has grown into a brilliant young woman with a keen mind and a sweet smile. With a kind way of pleasing an old man who rarely gets to see his own granddaughters.

"Champagne General?" O'Neill offered a glance with a smile.

"I think I will Jack." I answer and return the kind gesture, smiling warmly.

He smirks as Cassandra begs her own glass of the beverage. He ruffles her hair and offers her some of his own drink.

"Great role model Colonel." I toss with a cheeky grin. Just reveling in being their leader and friend.

The Sister, The Best Friend
Sam

Well Janet would kill him if she saw that one. I smirk at the huge gulp of champagne that Cassandra appropriates from the Colonel's glass. Her eyes light in laughter as he teases it away from her and I just wish...

Damn Janet for taking that little girl. I wanted her so badly. But at the same time...thank God the Doctor was there.

I had ached to take Cassie home, to be her mother. But...Janet was incredible. Cassie was her soul, and Jan is the girl's...mother.

I lift my head and toss my best friend a smile across the room. Jan heads towards me and hands over a fluke of good champagne.

"She's happy." Frasier sounds so pleased.

Our eyes move to Cassandra and I nod. Smiling as the Colonel helps her with the Advent Calendar on the coffee table.

"She's got a good family." I offer quietly, "A good mom."

Janet's eyes are fast to mine, and I see relief there. Sweetness flooding her face, "And a great big sister."

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Kate