Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Imp and Tep

by Katianna
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Imp and Tep

Imp and Tep

by Katianna

Title: Imp and Tep
Author: Katianna
Email: nowehave_many_bananas@yahoo.co.uk
Category: Action/Adventure
Season: any Season
Pairing: Sam/Jack
Rating: G
Warnings: none
Summary: Teal'c's students battle it out in the blindfolded fighting style known as Mak'Ta
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).

The mask tightened in place as Imp was prepared for the fight. "Your opponent will be Tep." The Tam'oak informed the competitor. "Tep is high status, a Mish'at, and very strong. This is going to be hard Imp, very hard." With that advice Imp was lead to her place on the gym floor.

The mask tightened in place as Tep was prepared for the fight. "Your opponent will be Imp." The Tam'oak informed the competitor. "Imp is well trained, and very agile. This fight will test your skill Tep." With that advice Imp was lead to her place on the gym floor.

Thus the challengers were prepared.

Imp faced Tep silently, waiting for the signal that would start the fight. At the call of `Hel'ta' Imp began to sink into the trace that would allow both competitors to sink into their surroundings and feel each other's presence. With some skill the trace could allow the fighter to predict the opponent's moves, just as a skilled fighter could in any other fight. "Fir'ta." Came the cry to fight. Tep would start in the offensive, being the more experienced, with Imp in the defensive. This meant that Tep would follow a circular line around Imp, who would remain on one point, still, and wait for the attack. The defender had to be aware of the attacker's position at all time. With fighters this skilled there was very little sound made by their feet on the mats and almost all of the defender's concentration would be on the trance. Teal'c hoped Tep would not defeat Imp as easily as he had the others he had fought. Tep was beginning to bore of the easy defeats. Stopping his circling and reversing his pacing - a trick that Teal'c had taught him recently to disorientate the defender - Tep started to move in towards Imp. Focusing everything on their relative positions, he moved so that he was just within reach. Stepping forward he swung a right blow to impact with Imp's shoulder. The swing was well aimed and Teal'c grinned at Tep's skill. But, just before the blow contacted Imp rolled the right shoulder forward, absorbing the blow and putting Tep off balance. By taking hold of the arm that had been aimed for Imp's shoulder and pulling, Tep was, quite effectively floored. This was going to be an interesting fight. "Te'Tack Imp! Reverse." Imp did not score a point for flooring Tep, simply a chance to fight offensive, where she could win points. A fighter won when the Master saw that one fighter had overpowered the other, or when one fighter showed extraordinary skill in the ring, but if a fighter was floored and could not stand on the count of ten, the fight was forfeited to the other fighter. Tep quickly regained his feet, careful not to make any noises which would reveal his identity - possibly giving the opponent an unfair advantage against him. The fighters were lead quickly back to their starting positions by their Tam'oak and Tep prepared to fight defensively. Teal'c had always admired Imp's ability to pace almost silently when fighting offensively, making the defensive fighter rely on their trance all the more. But now, for some reason that baffled Teal'c, Imp's footsteps were harsh on the mats, loud even to his ears. Watching, Teal'c was surprised as he watched Tep fall for the trap that was now obvious. Following Imp around the circle, trying to face her at all times, he was baffled as Imp apparently stopped in front of him. So confident was he against the loud and apparently clumsy opponent his trance was forgotten as he relied on his ears. Sure that the competitor had stopped in front of him he swung out his leg to knock Imp to the floor and retake the defensive. It was only this that prevented Imp from knocking him to the ground again from behind, where she had now taken up position. Waiting for him to rise again, Imp had not expected him to regain his trance so quickly and was surprised as he remained on the floor but turned, taking the swipe backwards towards the tricker's legs. "Te'tack Tep. Reverse." Teal'c announced, slightly disappointed that his prize student had fallen for such an obvious trap. He was getting too cocky for his own good. Imp listened quietly as light footsteps circled, knowing that Tam'oak had been right. Tep was good. Feeling him close, Imp dropped into a low crouch, swinging a leg out to intercept Tep's. There was a sound of hands hitting the mat, but no call. He had not fallen. Imp stepped back a few steps so that any counter-move he provided would fall short. Again a blow was aimed at Imp's shoulder, but this time Tep was ready for her counter move, as she swung round to avoid the blow, Tep stepped back. But he underestimated him opponent. Imp had his arm before he stepped back, unbalancing him more. He stepped back forward, trying to regain his balance. Swinging round so that they were back to back, still holding Tep's hand, Imp gave a blow to Tep's shoulder, using the whole forearm. A sweep of Tep's legs took him to the floor. Teal'c gaped for a moment. He hadn't taught Imp that! He saw Imp backing away, assuming the lack of signal meant her attack had failed. Tep looked confused, and was climbing to his feet uncertainly. "Hel'tak Imp. Skill shown in battle." Imp had won.

Teal'c watched as the two were lead away from the gym, neither speaking until they were far apart enough not to be heard. Unwilling to give away their identities on the possibility of a rematch.

Daniel watched `Tep's' face as he lead him into the changing rooms, acting as his Tam'oak for this fight. He was disappointed, annoyed, a little excited. He had never lost a fight in a Mak'Tok ring before. Ever. He was the best. Or was, maybe should be the word. "We have to have a re-match." Were the first words out of Jack's mouth when the blindfold was removed. "Why? Do you think it was an unfair fight?" "That was so much fun! I've never had to work so hard before! Imp was brilliant. He was so fast!" "Really Jack?" Daniel asked, laughing at Jack's prefix mistake.

Janet watched Sam as the blindfold was removed. She was in shock. She laughed loudly and watched as the fight sunk in. "I just beat a Mish'at. Janet, I am a Dirs, a Novice and I just beat a Mish'at." "How do you feel?"
"I wanna go do it again!"

Jack watched his 2IC enter the canteen, looking a little puffed. "Sam, have a seat, before you fall down." "Thanks sir. I've been doing some training, I'm a little tired." "Really. You look pleased with yourself. What you been doing?" "Nothing much sir, just a little happy I guess." "Maybe I should come train with you some day?" "That'd be nice sir."
"Have a go at that arm wrestle you challenged me to." "Yes, sir. But some other time maybe."
"Any time Carter, any time."

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Katianna