Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Isis

by Rain
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Isis

Isis

by Rain

Isis
AUTHOR: Rain
EMAIL: raven_guest@hotmail.com
CATEGORY: Humor, Action/Adventure, Series (Rain/Isis)
PAIRING: Jack/other
SPOILERS: none that I can think of
SEASON / SEQUEL: 3; It's a requel to 'Reutnr of the Rain'
RATING: G
CONTENT WARNINGS: none
SUMMARY: I had a dream about the story so wrote it down, this is my first attempt so it may suck. PLEASE SEND FEEDBACK, EVEN IF IT IS NEGATIVE!!!XXX Rain xxxx
STATUS: Complete
ARCHIVE: Heliopolis
DISCLAIMER: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. We have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the authors. Not to be archived without permission of the authors.
I own Rain/Isis!!!! (As she is based on me!!!)
AUTHOR'S NOTES: Please send feedback and please enjoy it, there is a follow up. 'Return of the Rain.'

Episode; Isis.

It had been a long day, but then it always was a long day working on SG-1. Having to cope with the constant threat of invasion from other dimensions and cultures, keeping so many secrets that no information was ever offered, having no outside life, and a very short lunch break.

Jack smiled in spite of himself, analysing his life again, still not sure whether he had made the right decision about sticking with SG-1, wondering if he's getting too old for a new adventure every day.

Oh well, another day, another dollar or two and at least it didn't allow him room to think, thinking was his biggest fear, if his only. Thinking of the past, of his son, his wife having left him....

Today was slightly different though. They had been told by the Tok'ra of a Gao'ould, a system lord, who was also a member of the Tok'ra. Her name was Isis and she was an informant for the Tok'ra of the Goa'ould's intentions and invasion plans. She had saved the Tok'ra on more than one occasion, being a very persuasive person in the Goa'ouls hierarchy, and had also allowed the Tok'ra to help other peoples who had lain in the Goa'ould's destructive path.

The whole station was on guard, security as tight as a drum, the floor around the Star Gate tightly packed with armed security, awaiting the arrival of the Tok'raGoa'ould.

Although she was a member of the Tok'ra, she was still a goa'ould and it wasn't worth taking the risk.

Jack walked casually down to the Stargate, expecting another visit, maybe another alliance, probably a hitch, the day being saved by Teal'c's intuition or Daniel's ability to read the Cartouche around their neck meaning 'death to all humans' or some other common place though exceptional occurrence. He smiled again, another chance to inflict his sarcasm and wit upon an unsuspecting creature.

He adjusted his cap, then walked through the security, making his way to the front, nearest to the Star gate and stood next to Daniel, Sam and Teal'c who held a Jaffa staff with caution.

He raised an eyebrow at his colleagues and they responded in their own ways to show they expected the usual unpredictable event, but were ready for anything.

The usual procedures occurred followed by the Iris lighting up with its blue watery light.

Several heavily armed Jaffa walked through the gate, causing the security at the base to hold their guns a little tighter and clutch the triggers.

Following the Jaffa and flanked on either side by more guards followed a beautiful young woman dressed in the usual revealing Egyptian style clothing, thin colourful clothes and many fine gold bracelets.

She was quite tall, easily as tall as the Jaffa guards, delicate, slim limbs decked in the finest cloths and gold jewellery, but that was not really remarkable as she looked like any other Goa'ould, with the exception of her piercing blue eyes and thigh length, straight blonde hair.

She walked in the procession proudly, stopping at the end of the ramp leading from the Star gate and indicating to her guards to return through the Star gate, with the exception of one.

'Leave me Jaffa, I need only one guard. Mekaya has yet to prove himself, he will remain with me.'

The guards hesitated, loyal as Jaffa are, unwilling to leave their mistress in unknown territory.

She laughed haughtily at the hesitation.

'You think mere mortals can harm me? Do you lack faith in your mistress?'

The Jaffa bowed, as one, and left through the Star gate.

The lady sighed in relief and walked towards the guards around the gate. She raised her hand to show the weapon on her palm and removed it, dropping it at their feet. As she did this Mekaya placed his staff on the ground in a sign of peace.

'Greetings friends I am Isis, informant of the Tok'ra, friend to all enemies of the Goa'ould'

She giggled softly at the look of surprise that crossed all the faces of the SG teams.

She stepped forward to greet General Hammond, who had joined SG1 before the gate had opened.

'Greetings General,' she bowed her head slightly, 'it is an honour sir.'

She extended her hand to shake the General's.

'You are most welcome Isis, the Tok'ra have told us of your efforts against the Goa'ould, any friend of the Tok'ra is welcomed here. I must apologise for the security, but we can not take any risks.' He smiled almost guiltily at her.

She nodded in understanding.

'I wouldn't have it any other way, you can never be too careful where the Goa'ould are concerned, and don't worry, I'm not offended.' she added with a grin.

The General introduced her to the members of SG-1 while the security left the floor.

The whole while left Jack with the feeling that maybe this wouldn't be like every other day after all, this woman was the contradiction of everything the Goa'ould were, she was kind, gentle, sweet even and ever so beautiful. But then he remembered Hathor and raised his guard again.

When she came to Teal'c she smiled in recognition.

'Do you not recognise me dear?' she smiled, a look of reminiscence.

He inclined his head slightly, a look of vague recognition passed over his face, as if he knew her, but couldn't remember how.

'If not, you must at least remember Mekaya.' She smiled again, at Mekaya this time and indicated that he was free to act as he wished now that the other soldiers had left.

Mekaya stepped forward and Teal'c smiled widely and embraced his friend warmly.

'I must apologise for the intrusion of all the Jaffa guard, but I have to pretend that I am a Goa'ould system lord around them, which includes treating them terribly. It breaks my heart, but they are all loyal to the goa'ould and would report me if they found out I were Tok'ra.' She frowned slightly.

'But Mekaya knows all about me and supports the cause, that is why I brought him. The Tok'ra have informed me that you often encounter the Goa'ould, I felt it would be useful to you if I shared all the information I have gathered about them with you as it is not your fault that you are entangled in their destruction.'

General Hammond smiled slightly. 'Any information you can give us would be invaluable, we simply wish to defend ourselves, we have no intention of wiping out the Goa'ould or warring with them.'

She smiled mischievously. 'Shame, I was hoping we could wipe them out together.'

Daniel raised his eyebrows in surprise. Jack coughed slightly and thought that she reminded him of someone....

She giggled slightly. 'I hate the Goa'ould, I would destroy them given the chance, but for now I am content to be a spy in their midst.'

Jack looked to her in curiosity and then asked, 'You hate the Goa'ould? I may be confused here but aren't you one?'

She laughed and smiled at Jack warmly.

'Colonel O'Neill was it? We am Tok'ra, not Goa'ould, we hate being classed as one. To us the Goa'ould are as the Nazi's were in your world, they wish to wipe out all that are not like them, solely because they can.'

Major Carter asked in surprise 'You know of Earth history?'

Isis smiled wickedly and replied 'I am Earth history.' and giggled into her bracelets.

Dr.Jackson cleared his throat 'You are Earth history? I'm sorry I don't understand.'

Isis tilted her head slightly in a bird like way. 'Forgive me, I talk in riddles. I am human...or I was...well the part that isn't Isis is human.' She smiled despite herself thinking perhaps she should think before she speaks.

'It is a long story, but the short version is, the Tok'ra have been visiting Earth for a long time, Isis's body was damaged so she came to Earth to find a willing host, she found me and the rest is history.'

Jack looked at her in surprise, thinking she must have been English due to her accent.

Isis giggled slightly. 'You are correct Colonel, I am....was English, is my accent that obvious?'

The SG-1 team looked at Jack then to Isis, thinking that no one had said anything.

'How did you do that?' Jack asked suspiciously.

'I'm sorry, I can read people, Isis is the only Goa'ould with this ability which is why we are used in espionage with the Goa'ould. I promise not to do it again, it's just that some people's thoughts just seem to fly at me, while others take some effort. I heard your thoughts then as loudly as if you were speaking, I was not meaning to do it, I am sorry, I didn't mean to pry.'

She blushed deeply thanking the gods that he couldn't read her thoughts at that moment.

'It's ok.' Jack responded, frowning slightly as though he were making a conscious effort to lock his mind to her.

She smiled at him in an apologetic and shy way which he thought must be a way of playing the innocent. He still didn't trust her, he didn't like not knowing much about her, her history, her intentions and he didn't like the fact that she had appeared out of the blue to offer them help.

Her face changed to a picture of pain, but she hid this quickly so that he didn't know she had read his mistrust. In truth all she wanted to do was help, she had told the truth, she hated the Goa'ould, their destruction of so many things and the fact that they had even no compassion for each other, that disgusted her among all things, their lack of respect for their own species.

So many times she had seen the goa'ould slay each other over the most ridiculous things, an insult, or weapons, things that were nothing when compared to life, but they had no respect for any other life but their own individual one.

She sighed slightly.

'Are you ok?' Daniel asked, noting her silence and distant stare.

'I'm fine, thank you. Any way, we should get to work before it is discovered my escort has been sent home.' she smiled with a slightly worried look in her eyes.

'Would they send someone after you?' General Hammond asked.

'I don't know, they haven't yet......but that doesn't mean anything.'

Her eyes darkened suddenly and she appeared lost in thought again. Her eyes widened suddenly in shock.

'He is coming! Close the gate! Shut the Iris!.' She shouted in desperation.

'Who is coming?' Jack asked suspiciously.

'Kalon, trust me shut the iris!'

A voice from above shouts to the General 'General, there's someone trying to get through the gate.'

'Shut the iris!' the general yelled.

'It's too late,' Isis hissed as the stargate lit up 'he's coming, get out of here! I can deal with him, close the window upstairs, leave the cameras on, but don't come back down until he has gone!' Isis shouted, a frightened look upon her face.

The floor was cleared. although Jack was reluctant to go, he still didn't trust her, he looked back over his shoulder and saw the system lord enter through the gate. He stopped in his tracks just as the security doors shut him in.

'Just my luck' he thought and cursed under his breath.

Isis stood proudly as the system lord Kalon entered.

'What is the meaning of this?' she hissed.

'What are you doing here Isis? The system lords didn't give you permission to leave.'

'I do not need their permission to leave!' she snarled, more viciously this time.

'Why did you come?'

'I came to spy upon the humans, they were beginning to trust me until you came!.'

'And where are these humans now?'

'I told them to leave, I would protect them from you.'

Isis looks around quickly and notices Colonel O'Neill stood by the doors, she curses in ancient Egyptian and turns back to face Kalon.

'Protect them from me?' he laughed throatily.

Isis smiles haughtily.

'You have to leave, you are ruining my plans!'

'I will go nowhere, I go where I please.'

'Well you can explain to the system lords why you ruined their plan.' she lied.

'Their plan? The system lords made plans without me?'

'They had to, you would have insisted on coming, they wouldn't trust you.'

'And why would they trust you?'

'I have Hathor's skills of persuasion.' she smiles wickedly.

'I am going back to talk to the system lords, no one makes plans without me.' he growled.

A loud crash is heard from O'Neill's direction. Kalon's head snaps to face him.

Jack curses loudly.

'How dare you intrude upon us human.' Kalon hisses, raising his hand and pointing the goa'ould weapon in his direction.

Isis pushes his hand down and whispers 'I'll deal with this, they trust me.'

Kalon raises his hand again and hits Isis's cheek and pushes her away. The stone in the middle of his palm glows red....

Jack breaks out in a sweat, thinking his number is up, not praying as he doesn't believe in the gods anyway. Then he hears a soft voice in his head telling him to duck...

Jack ducks just as the weapon fires the spot where his head was a moment before.

Kalon aims again, this time lower so that his target cannot duck, he steadies his hand...

He feels a huge force push him backwards and realises he has been struck, he falls to the floor unconscious, a red mark across his face where Isis kicked him.

Isis breathes a sigh of relief before picking Kalon's body up and throwing it back through the stargate.

'Close the Iris quickly!' she hisses to the controllers upstairs.

The light in the iris dies and the metal gates close over the iris.

Isis rushes over to Colonel O'Neill and kneels next to him.

'Are you ok?' she asks, the concern obvious in her eyes.

Jack rubs his head slightly 'Sure....'

Isis helps him to his feet and examines the wound he got when he 'ducked'

'I am so sorry Colonel, I thought everyone was gone.'

'It's ok, I guess....' he says feeling a little woozy.

Isis tilts her head in concern 'Are you sure?'

The rest of SG-1 and Mekaya filter back in, having seen what happened on the cameras.

'I am so sorry General, I should leave, I have put you all in too much danger.' she sighs dejectedly.

'You saved his life...' Daniel stutters, indicating Jack. 'Where did you learn to kick like that?'

Isis blushes deeply 'I couldn't let him harm you, but I think he will come back, I have to leave before he does, or you will be in more danger.'

General Hammond smiles at her slightly 'We've closed the gate, he can't get back in, anyway your information can help us defend ourselves against such attacks. Come up to my office and you can tell me what you know. SG-1, stay down here, just in case.'

The General and Isis walk up to his office, she looks back over her shoulder and smiles at Colonel O'Neill apologetically and mouths 'I'm so sorry!' before turning around and following the General.

Jack rubs his head and slides down the wall into a sitting position.

'Are you ok sir?' Major Carter asks.

'Sure, just a small bump.'

Daniel looks at Jack, searching his face.

'You don't trust her do you?' He asks curiously.

'She is Goa'ould, she can read minds and she can kick like that, no of course I don't trust her, I can't believe you do.' Jack thinks maybe he is concussed as he can't stop thinking about Isis.

Teal'c looks to Jack. 'I remember where I know Isis from. I was sentenced to death due to a mistake I had made, Isis convinced the system lords that I was of use to them. She visited me in the goa'ould prison and brought food when they starved me. She risked her life for me. I would trust her with mine , as would my friend Mekaya, whose life she has also saved. She lives a dangerous existence Colonel O'Neill, she risks herself everyday to help the Tok'ra and those who can not defend themselves.'

He raises an eyebrow and looks to Jack to see if what he has said has had any affect, but Colonel O'Neill is still rubbing his head and staring into space. 'Did you hear that Colonel?' Major Carter asks, worried that maybe Jack has concussion.

'Hmmm. But you didn't hear what she was saying to that system lord......a little too convincing as a goa'ould....I don't know.' He sighs thinking he's losing his edge, still thinking of Isis saving his life, having an argument with himself.

Mekaya stands to speak, looking nervous but proud 'I have known Isis since I began serving the goa'ould, she is the most gentle spirit you could ever hope to meet, she cares for every living thing, except the goa'ould. She couldn't hurt anyone if she tried. She has risked her position by attacking Kalon, they will hunt her down and put her before the system lords, she may be sentenced to death.' he looks at them sadly.

Several hours pass, Jack spends it thinking of Isis, should he trust her? Why does everyone else?

Why can't he trust her, what is it about her that there is not to trust? She saved my life, she saved many many lives, why can't I trust her? He loses himself in these thoughts until the General and Isis return.

She walks over to him slowly 'Are you feeling better Colonel?' she asks, still with genuine concern.

'Feels like someone's using my head as a steel drum, but oh well...' he grins sheepishly.

'I'm so sorry, can I do anything?'

'No....thank you, I'm ok.'

'Well kids, I should be leaving, gotta see how much my head is worth back home.' she grins mischievously, but it is obvious she is genuinely worried. She sighs quietly.

'If it's not more than a couple of million dollars I'll be offended.' she shakes hands with the General.

'I hope the information will be of use to you, if Kalon bothers you, let me know...' she smiles sweetly.

She walks over to Daniel and shakes his hand.

'Maybe you can teach me to fight like that when you come back...' he asks her with a smile.

'I don't think I'm coming back hunny, I've put you all at too much risk already, I can't risk the system lords showing too much interest.' She smiles sadly at him. 'It was a pleasure to meet you.'

She shakes Major Crater's hand, then Teal'c's 'Remember me now?' she grins 'Had to kicka lotta guards in that prison like that' she smiles and embraces him.

'Thank you Isis, I will never forget your kindness.'

'And I will never forget your strength and loyalty Teal'c.'

She walks over to Colonel O'Neill and shakes his hand sadly.

'Well I know you won't be forgetting me, that mark will be there for a while yet,' she smiles apologetically. 'I am so sorry you got caught in the cross fire. I was hoping to get to know you better before I left, you remind me of someone....'

'And who would that be?' He asks curiously but with a non nonchalant air.

The stargate lights up and she walks up the ramp. She stops and turns.

'Me.' She says before smiling and turning back to the gate.

'General, someone's dialling in again, from the same location as before.' The controller says over the speakers.

Isis curses and signals to them to leave as fast as they can, but it is too late as Kalon steps through the gate triumphantly.

'Greetings, dear Isis.' He hisses.

'What do you want Kalon? Another kicking?' She smiles, knowing it is futile, hoping he will concentrate his anger on her and not the SG teams.

His face contorts into a twisted smile. 'No, I came for you...' He pulls a collar from behind his back and waves it in front of Isis's face.

'But, I thought I'd torture a few mortals first, you know how I love blood sports.'

'What are you going to do Kalon?' She sees the security teams are getting into position at the bottom of the ramp.

'Don't move,' Kalon yells as he sees the guards. 'If you move, she dies.' he smiles and raises his palm level with Isis' face.

'Oh Kalon, I always thought you were a man of honour, fighting with your hands and giving the opposition a chance. Now I see you are the same as the others.' she smiles in a sarcastic way which reminds Daniel of Colonel O'Neill. 'Fine,' he spits 'We'll do this your way, I'll give the mortals a chance to live....either they die or you do.'

He steps forward, pushing Isis to the floor and grabbing Jack by his collar. 'Prove yourself as a Goa'ould and you will live, if not you will die in agony this day.'

'What do you want me to do?' She asks, trying to hide the panic rising in her voice as she looks at Jack dangling by his collar from Kalon's grasp , a look of surpressed worry upon his face, she can sense that he is trying to remain outwardly calm.

Kalon waves the collar again. 'It's you or him, you choose.....' He smiles wickedly. The collar he holds contains a device which will heat the metal collar to white hot in moments, killing a human almost instantly, causing a goa'ould excruciating pain, but a long slow death.

'I'm not going to let you kill an innocent.' she hissed vemonously. 'I'll wear it and come back with you, if you promise not to harm any of them, I'll give myself up to the system lords, anything, just let him go!'

Sweat breaks out on Isis' face, all she can think of is the Colonel.

'You feel something for these pathetic humans? You would give your life to save these pitiful creatures.?'

He spits in her face and drops Jack to the floor, who stands defiantly. 'Then you shall die here, as will all who are in this room.' He smiles and narrows his eyes to slits.

'NO!' Isis screams, lunging at him, clawing at his face and kicking any flesh not armoured. 'You lied, you have no honour.'

Kalon turns and strikes her with his fist, wiping blood from his broken nose. 'You have no honour, you are not a goa'ould, you disgust me.' He picks up her limp form and puts the metal collar around her neck with a look of pure evil upon his face, he clearly has been waiting for this.

The guard around the gate move forward at the general's signal, all guns targeting Kalon.

'If you do not lower your weapons, she dies right now.'

The guns lower, Jack stands near Kalon, confused and disorientated from being thrown to the floor. 'I have to do something' he thinks, 'she has saved me twice now, and has put herself in danger to save me from pain, I can't let her get hurt'

Jack walks over to Kalon, looking him defiantly in the eyes, looking to Isis who is limp, being slowly strangled by being hung from the collar, a trickle of blood running from the corner of her mouth.

Kalon grins wickedly and activates the collar. A scream escapes Isis' lips and her hands struggle with the collar in a futile attempt to remove it.

Jack is clearly moved by her pain as he flinches as though he is feeling it too.

'What is wrong with me?' Jack thinks 'I'm never one for thinking, act then worry about the consequences afterwards.'

'Kalon,' he yells.

Kalon turns his attention to Colonel O'Neill. 'What do you want human?' He spits the last word as though it tastes bad.

'Let her go.' Jack can feel the adrenaline pumping through his body, thinking for the second time that day that perhaps he will die, but not really worrying about it.

'Didn't I already kill you human?' Kalon looks mildly amused. He drops Isis's body to the floor where it crumples.

'You tried, but didn't really succeed, your aim was a little off.' He smirks confidently.

Daniel and Major Carter are looking at each other in disbelief, not sure as to what the Colonel hopes to achieve from this.

The remark clearly hit its target, Kalon's eyes blaze with fury.

Jack smiles in fained innocence, an eyebrow raised in a mocking gesture.

Isis raises her head slightly, feebly, trying to see what is happening, but is clearly barely conscious from the fall and the collars burning.

Kalon raises his palm at Jack and aims, taking his time, wanted to enjoy killing this pathetic creature which thinks itself a threat to him. He laughs quietly to himself.

Just as the stone turns red Kalon's arm flies up to the ceiling and the shot harmlessly hits the roof.

Jack looks at Kalon and finds him grasping at his ankle, blood pouring from between his hands, he looks at Isis and sees her mouth is covered with blood, but she has passed out due to the effort and lies, deathlike next to Kalon.

Kalon is screaming in pain and fury, grabbing his ankle to staunch the flow of blood.

The guards use his distraction to come closer, surrounding him. Teal'c walks forward with a Jaffa staff in his hand.

The General walks up to Kalon fearlessly.

'I suggest you leave and do not return, we will cut off all access from your Stargate to ours once you leave. Do not come here again or we will kill you.'

The Stargate lights up again and Kalon hobbles through, his dignity and the battle lost.

The light fades once he has left.

Isis doesn't remember much of what happened after she bit Kalon, just that she is in a hospital of some description, and a kind lady has been looking after her. The collar is gone, but the wounds are deep and an angry red on her neck, just breathing hurts it.

She groans slightly and the doctor comes rushing over.

'How long have you been conscious?'

'Not long, where am I?'

'The infirmary, still at the base.'

Isis suddenly remembers Jack being in the line of fire before she passed out. 'Is Colonel O'Neill ok?' She asks, the worry etched across her face.

'He's fine, no one was injured, apart from you and Kalon, Kalon was sent back to where he came from, and all access from that location is now blocked.' She smiles warmly. 'The Colonel has been in to visit you, but you were unconscious, he said he would return later.'

Isis blushes deeply at the mention of his name, but the Doctor pretends not to notice.

'Your neck injures are very deep, it is going to be a long time before you will feel normal again, it is a shame we do not have access to a sarcophicus, we can not give you human painkillers as we are not sure of the affect they will have.' She smiles. 'I'm going to let you get some rest, I will be back to change the dressing on your neck in an hour.'

The pain begins to become too much and Isis loses consciousness again.

When she awakes again she finds the dressing has been changed and Teal'c is sat by her beside. She smiles warmly to him and tries to move but regrets it suddenly, groaning in pain.

'Do not try to move Isis, I have come to give you this.' He hands her a small pot full of a green slimy substance.

Sighs with relief 'Thank you Teal'c, this will help immensely.' She opens the pot and smells the substance. 'As delightfully smelling as I remember.' she says sarcastically. 'How did you get this?'

'I had it with me when I joined SG-1, I have no need for it as I am healed by the embryo I carry.'

Isis smiles at him warmly. An embarrassed cough is heard from the doorway.

'Colonel O'Neill.' Teal'c stands and inclines his head slightly. 'I must leave you now, I have work to do, I will return when you are rested.' He walks towards the door.

'Thank you Teal'c.' Isis smiles to his retreating form.

Colonel O'Neill walks in uncomfortably, Isis thought that she didn't really need to read minds to understand some people. She smiled softly to him.

'Greetings Colonel, how are you?'

He raises an eyebrow thinking 'She's the one who's just been harmed and she's asking if I'm ok?'

'I am fine thank you.'

A long, uncomfortable silence ensues, where neither will make eye contact with each other.

Isis is thankful again that he can not read her mind as she was thinking how beautiful his eyes were, so deep and complicated. She realises she is staring at him and blushes slightly and smiles.

'You didn't have to come visit, I'm fine, really.' She tries to raise her head again and grits her teeth to hide the pain. she is as proud as the Colonel and hates showing any signs of weakness.

She raises herself so she is sitting against the bed's headboard, still gritting her teeth, and looks to the Colonel curiously.

'I came to see if you were ok, you did save my life twice in one day, I figured I owed you that,' he smiles sheepishly 'and an apology.'

She raises an eyebrow in interest. 'An apology? Why? You have nothing to apologise for.' She smiled.

The Colonel runs a hand through his hair. 'Actually I do.'

He sighs deeply. 'I should have trusted you, I was rude and obnoxious, I'm sorry.'

Isis' eyes widen in surprise as she has knows from his thoughts that he is not one to apologise often. She giggles slightly but stops as it hurt her neck. 'You weren't rude.' She says softly.

'Just obnoxious? That gives us something to work from.' He grins in a boyish, mischievous way which she finds incredibly endearing, she smiles, then blushes slightly.

Jack walks over to her bedside table and picks up the jar Teal'c had left.

'What is this gunk?' he looks at it in curiosity and slight disgust.

'It's Goa'ould brains' she says, her face a blank canvas.

Jack frowns and half drops the jar back onto the table.

Isis giggles 'It's a salve for wounds, it is extremely effective and kills pain instantly.'

Jack smiles 'But what's in it?'

'A certain type of moss that grows only on the Goa'ould homeworld, this salve is very difficult to get hold of.'

'Have you used it yet?'

'I can't, I can't turn to pick up the jar, or open it, or put it on.' She smiles weakly. 'I'll wait for the doctor to come back.'

'Does it still hurt?'

Isis laughs heartily 'That is a serious understatement, it hurts a hundred times less then it did when the collar was on, but it is only barely tolerable.' she grimaces slightly and closes her eyes, gritting her teeth.

'Wanna see how it feels?' she smiles and extends her hand to him.

Jack looks at her in curiosity. 'You can transfer pain?'

'Yes, that's why Kalon was in so much pain, a simple bite wouldn't have hurt him, but I sent the pain through to him.' a look of mock innocence crosses her face.

'I was kidding,' she says retracting her hand 'I would never inflict pain upon you, or anyone here.'

He looks at her again thinking her wicked sense of humour reminded him of someone.

'I want to see what it is like,' he stretches out his hand.

Isis frowns 'You want to feel pain? Are you crazy?' Isis then realises she has a tendency of using pain to fuel her.

'No, just curious.'

'Are you sure?' an incredulous look in her eyes, knowing she would be the same if the situation were reversed.

'Yep.'

'Ok, sit down.' She indicates the end of the bed and reaches out and puts her palms on his temples.

'Brace yourself.' She closes her eyes and concentrates hard.

Had anyone been watching they would have thought Isis had hit the Colonel, or pushed him, such was the force at which he was thrown back with.

Isis' hands clasped the sides of her head in pain, her eyes closed tight.

The Colonel opened his eyes, the breath knocked out of him, panting on the floor.

'How the hell can you put up with that?' He said louder than he had meant to, causing his head to ache from the pain that had remained.

'I just think of other things, I try not to think about it.' She frowns at him in distress. 'You carry a lot of pain around with you also.' She says inclining her head then groaned in pain, laughing at how pathetic she is.

'My god I hurt.' she says through a meek laughter.

He stand slowly 'What do you mean by that,' He asks suspiciously his eyes narrowed slightly.

'Well, what ever pain I sent to you, I got back twofold. I don't mean physical pain...I....'

Isis clutches her head again. 'Ow' She concentrates on a green field full of grass and bordered by trees, a place full of life, then she looks to Jack and all she can think of are those eyes....

'Oh dear' she sighs.

'What's wrong?' Jack looks to her.

'My neck again.' she lies, badly.

'hmmmm....' 'I don't believe her' Jack thinks.

'I'll be ok, once I put that gunk on my neck.' She smiles wryly.

'Um.....if you want I could uh.....put it on you, Dr.Fraser wont be back for a couple of hours.' He looks at her expectantly, desperate for her to let him help her, but not sure why, and angry at himself for being so powerless and tongue-tied around her. 'Get a grip Jack' he thinks frowning.

'Thank you, that would help me a lot.' she smiles sweetly.

Jack raises an eyebrow, hesitantly, looking at the goop, then at her pained expression.

He sighs, picks up the pot and unscrews the lid, he creases his nose at the smell.

'It doesn't smell particularly pleasant, but I can guarantee it works.'

He puts his hand into the jar and cringes as the cold sludge squelches between his fingers.

He takes a handful and stands staring at Isis, not wanting to hurt her, but so desperate to help her.

'This may hurt a little and for that I am truly sorry.' He says, taking steps closer to her.

He puts his gunge covered hand against her neck and cringes as her body stiffens and she grits her teeth, letting out a small whimper.

'I can stop if it hurts too much.'

'No, it's fine, thank you.' she says in a forced happy voice through her clenched teeth.

He rubs the thick substance into the wounds on her neck, hating to see her in such pain, but trying not to show it while trying to block all thoughts from her.

'Why do you do that?' she whispers through clenched teeth.

'Do what? Am I putting this on wrong?'

'No silly, block your mind off, I told you I wouldn't pry.'

'Then how do you know I'm trying to block you out.'

'Because even when I'm not reading your thoughts, I can sense how you are reacting to me.'

He looked at her in panic. 'She can sense how I am reacting, Oh god, she can tell how I feel?'

She smiled at him reassuringly. 'Don't panic hun, I can only sense negative and positive, nothing deeper than that unless I read your mind.'

'Oh thank the gods,' he thought A memory ran through his head of when he had been a boy, playing soldiers in the yard and a baby bird had fallen from its nest near where he was playing. He had spent so long caring for that bird, praying for it, feeding it, giving it all he had until one day it had just given up, it was too young.

He thought how this was similar, he had prayed to gods he didn't believe in for this creature and he was wishing with all his heart (though he would deny it if asked) that she get better, this goa'ould that had so surprised him, this creature that he should despise, that had so easily knocked down the defences that were usually impenetrable, god he wished he could hate her, it would be much easier.

He continued to rub the horrible substance into her neck, lost in thought.

She too was lost inside her head, trying to separate the thousands of images that had flooded her head when she had touched his temples, a boy, a gun, a woman, an argument, a thousand other things that she couldn't understand, she tried to make sense of it, before she was brought back to the present by more of the cold substance being pressed to her neck. She was feeling a lot better even though he hadn't finished covering her neck. She relaxed as he massaged it into her neck, when this was finished, maybe she would be able to stand again, it was a possibility.

'Colonel?' She whispered.

'Call me Jack.'

'Jack?'

'Yes?'

'Tell me about yourself...'

He looked at her surprised.

'What would you like to know?' he asked in a guarded tone.

'What did you do before you joined the Air Force?'

'Well.........um.....'

'Who's the boy?'

'Excuse me?' He looked at her in confusion.

She pressed her hands to his temples again and showed him the image she had seen. His eyes widened, full of pain, surpressed emotions and agony.

'I'm sorry, it came to me earlier.'

'It's ok.' silence. A pained silence.

He picked up a towel that lay by her bed and wiped his hands before walking to the other side of the room.

She stood, ever so slowly, so painfully, but she stood and walked over to him.

He stood with his forehead pressed against the wall, his back to her.

'I am sorry, did I put my foot in it? I am so clumsy, I don't mean to be, I'm just curious, but I end up hurting people, must be all the time I have spent with the Goa'ould. No offence Isis' She added with a smile.

He turned to face her slowly, his face still pained.

'You aren't Isis?'

'Of course I am, but Isis is the goa'ould inside me, she is part of me and I could not function now without her, but I am still separate, you can still distinguish between the two of us.'

'So who are you then?'

She smiled slightly 'I am.....I don't know......confused.'

He grinned slightly, the pain still there.

'You have a name?'

'I left that name behind with my old life, one which I have no regrets of leaving behind. But Mekaya calls me Rain.'

'Rain? As in the stuff that falls from the sky?'

'Yep,' she giggled 'I love it, adore it, dance in it, catch a cold in it, I spend so much time with it.'

'So you're name is Rain?'

'You can call me that if you wish, but don't forget about Isis, she is very proud and I can not let her be forgotten.'

He smiled slightly. 'So what did you leave behind?'

'The same as you, pain, I've buried it so deep down that if it resurfaced I'd probably have a nervous breakdown. I've also built up excessively high defences which I thought were impassable, but now I'm not so sure.' She smiles at him then turns away blushing and sighs.

'That's why I can cope with this physical pain, it is much easier to bear than the emotional....'

She closes her eyes slightly as if blocking a memory. Her hands move up to her neck as the physical pain resurfaces. She sighs.

'Want to talk about it?' he asked with a guarded smile.

'I don't have to, I can show you....' she smiles through the pain.

'Would you?'

'Why are you asking Jack?' he thought 'Why? She'll just ask more questions about your life, your past. But it would be nice to share it with someone, to finally get it off your chest after all this. You don't even have to talk, and she will share all she is with you, but that's what you want isn't it Jack?' Another argument with himself in his head.

'I'll show you mine if you show me yours.' She grins mischievously.

'What the hell.' He says wearily, as if holding it in will finally break him. 'Come hither then.' She smiles, 'This may hurt, but the process of extracting the information will help, I promise. It will lessen the pain.' She took his head in her hands and placed her forehead and nose against his, cringing slightly with the pain.

Jack gasped as the images threw themselves at him, like her life being shown to him in a cinema, but in fast forward, once that was done, his life was shown, but he found he felt no pain, just the same detachment he had felt from watching her life, he felt as though it wasn't his experiences.

It was over within moments and he fell against her once it had finished, the images had left him feeling disorientated and dizzy. She held his head on her shoulder and held him until it subsided.

'I'm going to have to move in a moment as she will guess I'm feeling better, but she smells so damned good, even with that gunk on, and her skin is so soft...' he thought to himself 'and believe it or not, I feel strangely at peace, god I never thought I'd say that, you're going soft Jack'

He lifted his head slowly and looked into her eyes, she was the same height as him, if not slightly taller, with those hypnotic eyes.

'Ok you are going to have to say something or she is going to think you are nuts, or in need of professional help.'

Little did he know her thoughts were almost identical. She blushed. 'Are you ok?'

'Sure...yeah...I'm......good..' 'Oh god I sound like a cave man, why can't I talk like Daniel?' he thought feeling dumb and lost for words.

She clasped her head and sank onto the bed again.

'Ow, damnit, ow' She closed her eyes tightly against the pain and reached for the pot of the salve that still sat on her table.

'Let me finish that.' He took the jar from her gently and pushed her back into a sitting position against the headboard. He opened the jar again and continued putting the salve on her neck.

She smiled contentedly and sighed.

He was lost in thought again, daydreaming about the rain and dancing in it with Rain.

'I can't believe I'm thinking this sentimental junk! Yuk! But it felt good though, but yuk!' he thought, mildly amused and angry at himself.

'YUK!' she said then her eyes widened as she realised she'd said it out loud. They looked at each other and smiled shyly. She giggled into her bracelets.

'Done.' He said almost grudgingly as he replaced the lid on the pot of salve.

Truthfully, she had forgotten the pain several minutes ago, but she wasn't going to tell him that.

'Thank you, so much for doing that for me, I can hardly feel the pain anymore.' She smiled brightly, her eyes having lost the pained, glazed look they had had earlier.

He smiled at her, the first smile she had seen that hadn't been guarded or hidden, or reluctant, it was genuine and friendly and warm. She smiled back and took his hand gently. She pressed it to her lips and kissed it. He looked to her in curiosity, but there was no negativity towards her previous actions.

She put her head upon his shoulder and closed her eyes as he stroked her hair gently.

'Is this what contentment feels like? I can cope with this, as long as I don't lose my edge.' he thought with a smile.

A rumbling was heard from her throat and Jack realised she was purring. He raised an eyebrow but didn't stop stroking her hair, or move, he just found it very sweet, he then realised he never used the word 'sweet' Yuk!

Another embarrassed coughing was heard from the door and Jack looked up to see Daniel Jackson stood in the door frame. Jack's eyes widened and he froze, he then stood extremely quickly, causing Isis to fall onto the bed and look up in surprise.

'What the Hell-o Dr.Jackson.' She flushed obviously, she realised how guilty she and Jack must look and blushed for him also.

'What are you doing Daniel? Spying? Got nothing better to do?' Jack tried to cover his embarrassment.

'I just...uh...came to see if you were ok....uh...Isis.' Daniel stuttered.

'I should go talk to the General, I'll come back and see you later...uh....ok Rain.' He smiled at her, but realised Daniel was watching so pretended to frown. He turned and left quickly.

Rain dissolved into giggles the second he was out of hearing range.

'Poor thing.' she whispered.

'So....uh.....how are you feeling? Daniel was still clearly embarrassed.

'A lot better thank you since Colonel O'Neill came to visit.'

Daniel's eyes widened and he coughed in embarrasment.

'Oh god, I didn't mean.....he put this salve on my wounds and the pain has now stopped. Oh god.'

She blushed the most attractive shade of red.

'Oh....I...uh.....see.'

'It's ok Daniel, calm down hunny.'

'Why did he call you Rain?' Daniel had relaxed somewhat, realising Isis wasn't angry at him.

'It's what Mekaya calls me, Isis is a separate entity, I want to respect her as such so Mekaya gave me that name.' She smiled sweetly at him.

'But, um, why Rain?'

'Long story hun. You have to understand something though dear, the Colonel has had a very similar life to mine, I understand him and I think he is beginning to understand me, at least I hope he is...' she smiles uncertainly. 'I wasn't even going to ask..'

'But you wanted to though didn't you?' she smiles 'You can't lie to someone who can sense such things.'

'I will admit I was a little curious...'

'He has built up such defences, which I am sure you can't have failed to notice, I think I got past them. Hell, he smashed mine to pieces without even realising it.' she rubs her neck as it is itching a little.

'So, are you a couple? Or what?'

'I don't know, I know we're confused and that is all.' she smiles warmly and reaches across and removes Daniel's glasses. 'May I?'

'Sure, I guess.'

She holds them up to the light and looks through them, then places them upon her nose.

'Wow! I used to wear glasses, don't need them now, it's weird the things you forget isn't it...'

Jack walks down the corridor, not really sure where he's going, or what he is thinking but he is confused, of that he is sure. But not in the usual way in which Daniel is talking too fast and using too many long words, this is different, he knows what is happening but isn't sure what to do with it.

'Damn her.' he thinks, but smiles in a way he thought he had forgotten and whistles as he walks down the corridor to his office to 'think.' or to at least throw a ball around or something.

'So dear, tell me about yourself.' Rain looks at Daniel intently.

'What would you like to know?'

'Well, I'd rather have permission.'

'Permission? For what?'

'I've never had any friends before, not one, not before this life as a host and not during it, I want to learn all I can about you all as fast as I can, you all fascinate me, you are so kind and friendly, I'm not used to that.' she rubs her eyes tiredly. 'I can see your whole life in a few seconds if you would allow me?'

'Wouldn't you rather talk? Learn like that?' He looks at her over the rims of his glasses.

'I don't know how long I have here, I could be hunted down and dragged out of here any minute, and when I get well enough to travel I will have to leave.'

'Why?'

'I'm too much of a threat to you being here, I am the most wanted person alive I would have thought.'

she smiles in amusement and sadness.

'Does Jack know you plan to leave so soon?'

She looks down at her bracelets. 'No, I'm hoping he will realise I can't stay, I hate saying goodbye.'

Daniel looks at her sadly, wondering how anyone can love that grouchy, rude Colonel and especially in such a short time.

'Because he is excessively sweet if you dig deep enough and you know he cares about you under all the insults and comments. I've never known what it is to love and it scares the hell out of me. I promised myself I would never be so weak.'

'You see love as a weakness?'

'No, I used to...because of my job, and my previous life, now I see it as something that may kill me.' she sighs deeply, her eyes filling with tears. 'I can not believe I have to leave him after having only just met him, it is so unfair.' she looks up at Daniel, knowing he understands what she means.

'Am I supposed to forget and move on? Or learn to cope? Or just accept that the second I walk through that gate to leave, I may as well count myself among the dead as I will never be able to return.'

Daniel reaches out and takes her hand.

'Damn him, being an ice queen hiding behind my defences was so much easier.' Daniel holds her as she weeps into his shoulder.

Jack arrives at the General's office, realising he wasn't really heading there, but needs to talk to him anyway about Rain and Isis.

He knocks on the door and enters as the General asks him in.

'Colonel O'Neill, I was just about to send for you.'

'Is everything ok General?'

'In truth, no, we have a wanted Goa'ould on our base and the Goa'ould know where to find her, we're sitting ducks until we decide what to do with her.'

'What to do with her?' Jack looks at the General in surprise. 'She is a living creature, she should have some say in what happens to her.'

'Of course she will, we will let her choose where she ends up, but at the end of the day we have two choices, give her up to the Goa'ould, sentencing her to death and basically letting to Goa'ould know that she has been sharing information with us, or we send her to the Tok'ra, where the Goa'ould will not find her, but we will be at risk for helping her escape.' the General looks like he has probably made up his decision already.

'You can't hand her over, you just can't that would be sentencing her to death!'

'What would you suggest Colonel? We have very few options and the longer we delay action, the worse the consequences are going to be.'

'You can't give her up, you can not help the Goa'ould, she was trying to protect us.'

'That may be, but we can not keep her here, as the Goa'oud know where she is.'

'What if I find another option, would you consider it, at least give me until she is well enough to travel to come up with something else.'

The General paces the room, but sees how passionate O'Neill is.

'You have until then, but I can not promise it will change the outcome.'

Jack nods slightly, then leaves the room quickly, slamming the door behind him.

'I don't know what I'm going to do when I have to leave, where I'm going to go....I'm at a lose end. Could go and live with the Tok'ra I suppose, but I'm a threat to them as well.' she sighs audibly. 'I'm the albatross about all other culture's necks huh.'

'No, you're not, you've just had a little bad luck, that's all.' He looked to her sympathetically.

'Any ideas of where I can go though?' She smiles wearily.

'We'll think of something, it's not like we're going to ditch you on some planet, without a second thought.' Daniel smiles reasurringly.

Jack storms down the corridors on his way back to the Infirmary, trying to think up some way of saving Rain and Isis, otherwise the General will just dump them on a planet without a second thought. 'I can't let that happen' he thought 'she saved us all.' He sighs then walks smack bang into Major Carter, who was on her way to the infirmary also.

'I'm sorry Colonel....I...'

'It's my fault, I wasn't looking where I was going.' He says with a frown.

'Are you ok Colonel?' Carter looks at him in concern.

'No, but oh well! I gotta go, not much time I'm afraid.' He breaks into a run to the infirmary, barely missing all other occupants of the corridor.

He growls deep in his throat, getting more angry the more he thinks about it. He storms into the Infirmary and looks to Daniel and Rain, barely breathing he is so insensed.

He takes a deep breath and looks at Rain, then to Daniel, he tries to speak, but can not he is shaking so hard from anger.

'Are you ok Jack?' Rain looks at him in concern.

He shakes his head, not knowing how to tell her.

'Rain, we have to get you out of here, they're gunna....oh god, they're gunna...' Jack has to stop as he is shaking again.

Rain stands and takes his arm, leading him to the bed and getting him to sit next to Daniel.

'What's wrong hunny?'

'They going to make you leave. The General is considering giving you up to the Goa'ould.'

'I kinda guessed that would end up happening. How long do I have?'

Jack is confused as Rain looks completely calm.

'You aren't upset? Angry?' Jack says, the suppressed anger surfacing.

'What can I do about it?' Rain is the picture of calm, but the pain is evident.

'Fight it, they are sentencing you to death!'

'It's not death if you refuse it, anyway I can't run all my life, and I can't keep you at risk like this.'

'God! How can you be so calm about this?'

'Because I expected it would happen and I sensed it from the General.' Rain looks exhausted, as if realisation has drained her.

'Jack, she can't stay here, she is more at risk if she remains where they know she is.' Daniel looked up at Jack calmly.

Jack puches the wall angrily.

'Ow. So what am I supposed to do? Just let them send her back to the Goa'ould? Let her be tortured and killed?' Jack slumps backwards dejectedly, too upset to be angry, too tired to be upset, completely emotionally drained.

Rain sighs and walks over to Jack.

'There's nothing we can do dear, nada. I just have to accept my fate.'

'That's it? You're just going to give up?'

Rain sighs

'Yep. I can't do this anymore, pretending to be something I'm not, at first it was fun, it was a job, I helped people, now I'm just a risk. I can't allow you to get hurt over protecting me. One life isn't worth many.'

'But...you....I....God, why?'

'Maybe I should leave you two alone.' Daniel stands to leave.

'Thank you dear.' Rain looks up at him sadly.

'Promise to say goodbye before you leave?'

'Of course! I wouldn't leave without telling you!' She smiles at him.

'Jack, please don't tell me you thought that I could stay forever?'

'No, just longer than this. God this isn't fair.'

'I didn't think you believed in God.' She smiles at him. 'Hunny, I feel like I'm dying right now, but I can't stay, I just can't'

Jack runs his hands through his hair.

'No I guess not.'

'Maybe I can come visit...'

'You honestly believe the Goa'ould are going to allow it? They are going to kill you! You make it sound like a picnic.'

'I'm sure I can get out of it somehow, pretend I was gathering information for them....I don't know....I can turn it around somehow....maybe...but what I do know is that if I don't laugh about it I'm going to cry.' She blinks back tears and smiles. 'You face death every day and make light of it, I thought I'd follow your example. You've had a bad effect.'

Jack reaches out and pulls her closer to him.

'Rain...I...'

She puts a finger to his lips.

'I know what you are going to say, but it doesn't need to be said, just know that I feel exactly the same, and I promise I will come back, even if it is to haunt you all.'

'That's not funny.'

'Yes. It is. I promise I will come back, don't bury me before I'm dead.'

She holds him close and listens to his heart beating realising it was too good to be true, and this was typical of her luck.

At that moment the General walks in. He clears his throat to speak but Rain interupts him.

'You don't have to say it...I know.'

She stands and walks out of the room, she stops and says over her shoulder. 'Can I at least say goodbye first?'

General Hammond smiles apologetically. 'Of course'

Rain stands on the ramp to the Stargate, SG-1 gathered around the ramp. She walks over to Sam.

'I'm sorry I didn't have time to get to know you better, but next time I'm here we'll talk ok?'

Major Carter looks a little perplexed but nods her head sadly, disbelievingly, but wants to humour her.

'I'd like that.'

'Teal'c.' She reaches out and hugs him. 'Bye again, I won't leave it so long between visits next time.'

Teal'c looks down at her. 'Be well, Rain, and Isis.'

Rain moves to Daniel and holds him closely.

'I left something in your office, I thought it might come in useful.'

'What is it?'

'A diary I made of all the laguages I have encountered and as much translation as I knew, it may come in useful, or at least it may interest you.'

She smiles and kisses him softly on the cheek.

She walks over to Jack and shakes his hand. He looks a little confused, but she pulls him close and holds him for a minute. She leans close to his ear to whisper.

'I promise I'll come back. Wild horses, or Goa'ould couldn't stop me.'

'I wish I could believe it.' He says sadly, his eyes have lost their usual glimmer and he has paled somewhat.

'Then believe it, I have never broken a promise in my life, either of them.' She grins and kisses his forehead.

She walks over to General Hammond and shakes his hand.

'I'm sorry it had to end like this Isis.'

She smiles ruefully and says

'Who said anything about an end? I'll be back before you have the chance to miss me, next time I'll bring technology and other things for you all to play with, and more information than you'll know what to do with.'

Mekaya joins her, having said goodbye to Teal'c and the others and together they wait for the gate to open.

The gate lights up, the watery light shimmering upon her face as she turns away from them and walks up the ramp. Just before she reaches the gate, she turns and smiles before stepping through, then they are gone, the light with her.

SG-1 stands staring at the gate for some moments, until Jack spots something on the ramp. He walks over to it and realises it is her anklet, he picks it up gently before heading back to his office, staring at the silver anklet, not wanting to make eye contact with the rest of the team.

'If anyone wants me I'll be in my office.'

'Jack, are you ok?' Daniel asks carefully.

'Sure, why wouldn't I be?'

Daniel stares at him in complete shock.

'It's like she said, she'll be back, she's never broken a promise in either of her lives and I believe her.'

Major Carter's mouth hangs open at Jack's optomism, when was Jack ever optomistic? Colonel 'the glass is half empty' O'Neill. Then Carter smiles and looks to Daniel.

'I think I believe her too.'

'As do I' Teal'c breaths.

Daniel shakes his head.

'How can you not believe her? She'll be back in a month or two, probably laughing at the Goa'ould's feeble attempts at torture with an amusing story of how she escaped, probably kicking her way out....

Yep, she'll be back.'

The team walk from the gate, each lost in their own thoughts of the strange creature who came and left so quickly, but filled them all with hope.

'Yep, she'll be back.'

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Rain