Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Cabin Fever

by Rita P
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever

by Rita P

Summary: Sam struggles with her conscious while on a fishing trip with Jack
Category: Romance
Season: future Season
Pairing: Jack/Sam
Rating: PG-13
Warnings: minor language, sexual situations
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 06/14/03

.

The crimson glow of the setting sun reflected through the feathery curtain of cirrus clouds. A golden band glistened off the reddish hue of Lake Menoka.

Leaning against the rough-cut log rail, Major Samantha Carter, took another sip from the can of Coor's Light. Breathing in the coolness of the Minnesota evening, she slapped at yet another mosquito. She still wasn't quite sure what possessed her to accept Jack O'Neill's last minute invitation to join him. She had to admit though, up until a few hours before, their time together had been relaxing and enjoyable. However, as evening approached, on this, the second day of a three day leave, an uneasy tension grew between them. An irrational anxiety she knew well and desperately tried to deny. For despite their mutual promise of keeping their personal feelings in check, they were embarking into dangerous territory. Which, given the right opportunity, could threaten their noble position of maintaining military protocol and keeping what they felt for the other, strictly platonic.

She had known better than to spend this much time alone with him, in what some would consider a 'romantic getaway`. Given another place, another time, Sam would have no hesitation acting on the passion she felt for this man. But Colonel Jack O'Neill, was not just any man, besides a close friend, he was her commanding officer and off limits. But even with her loyal allegiance to the Air Force, she could not deny the very essence of her heart.

She may never understand the mystical power he seemed to have on her. How his presence could send her heart fluttering. How his compelling brown eyes could delve into her very soul, igniting the smoldering embers of her secret passions. A spark, which could never be allowed to take flame. Yet, through their own silent language, he managed to communicate his own feelings for her. It was an ongoing struggle of self discipline, and like the seasoned soldier, they understood the risks of their battle. Neither willing to surrender defeat, they forged ahead, always vigilant, prepared to make the ultimate sacrifice, that of their own self for the sake of the other.

From inside the cabin the clang of a pan hitting the floor, invaded her intimate thoughts.

"Damn!" Jack cursed from the other side of the deck's screen door.

"Sir, are you alright?" Carter called to him.

"Yeah...yeah, I'm... just fine. Not so sure about the corn, though. Hey Carter, you really didn't have your heart set on corn on the cob, did you?"

Shaking her head she gulped down the last of her beer before going to see what damage was done to their late night supper.

Entering the kitchen of the rustic cabin, she found Jack on his hands and knees, a pile of paper towels soaking up the three quarts of water she estimated pooled on the floor.

"Need some help?" she tried unsuccessfully to suppress a chuckle.

He narrowed his eyes. "No, I think I've got the situation... under control.. Thanks for ask'n, though."

"What happened?" she asked.

"The damn pan was hot!" He stood, shaking his right hand.

"Yes, Sir." she said with a hint of sarcasm. Sam noticed the attention he paid to his hand and worried about the seriousness of the burn.

"Sir, let me take a look."

"It's ok. Really, Carter, it's nothing." he said turning from her.

Catching him in mid stride, she took his hand, his hypnotic gaze locked with hers in a moment of intense longing. Her pulse raced and she felt the warmth of desire spread across her face. She prayed he wouldn`t notice. She tried focusing on the faint pink strip across his palm but could not resist his draw.

"You ok, Carter." he whispered.

"Why?" Her voice shook and she kicked herself for sounding defensive.

"Dunno, ya look alittle...flushed?"

Releasing his hand she had to put some distance between them before her raging hormones got the better of her. "Looks only to be first degree, Sir." It was important for her to remember their positions.

Rooting through the cabinet near the sink, she found a small plastic bowl which she filled with tap water.

"Here, " she let out a breath, calming her still erratic heart beat.

"That's not necessary, really."

"Just a few minutes."

"For crying out loud..." he muttered sarcastically, sliding his hand into the bowl.

Retrieving two beers from the fridge, Carter popped the tops, handing one can to Jack.

"Something for the pain." she said

Lifting his can in mock salute he said, "I'll drink to that, even though it's not."

If he only realized it wasn't his suffering she worried about. She was going to need all the help she could in overcoming the driving temptation of her desires Or, perhaps the beer would only serve to loosen her military inhibitions. In which case she would at least have the alcohol to blame.

A defined image of lying in his arms, immersed in the pleasure of his gentle caress, played across her mind, `Get a hold of yourself, Carter,' she thought, `would you really throw both your careers out the window for a single night of passion with him?' Another hot flash of desire flared. `Ok. Yeah, so maybe you would.` She knew then she shouldn't stay. It was proving far more difficult than she imagined to keep control. Neither was she blind to the subtle signals she was inadvertently sending; and that he was obviously picking up on . With the way she was feeling all it would take from him would be the slightest suggestion, faintest hint, even in jest, for her to loose the battle.

Jack brushed past her reaching for a towel to dry his hands. The, unexpected contact startled her.

"A little jumpy, are we?" he asked

It was time to face the truth, "Jack, I can't stay."

"What do you mean?"

"I can't stay." She tried stepping away but his closeness held her captive.

He looked confused, "I don't understand."

"I'm sorry, Jack. This is wrong. I shouldn't have come."

"Why?"

"Because of what I'm feeling."

And that be... what?"

"You know..." She feared that even an admission would prove fatal.

He shook his head, "No, Sam, I don`t?"

But she knew from the softness of his eyes, the huskiness in his voice that he did indeed know and more than likely was feeling the same thing. She became angry, and backed away, the shift in mood enough to break the provocative spell. "Damnit, Jack, don't bait me!" she glared

He threw his hands up in surrender, "Ok, ok" he smirked, "you got me. But come on Carter, do you really think, `that`, hasn't been on my mind, too_ A lot." He paused before gracing her with his irresistible sheepish grin. "Let's be honest here, if I really wanted to just fish, I'd have asked Daniel or T'ealc."

"You planned this?" she asked indignantly.

"Not planned, exactly. And here I was trying to be so good too. Hey, if you don't feel comfortable...I understand. But for cry'n out loud Carter, ya think you could trust me."

"It's not you, Sir." she hesitated, searching the depths of his eyes. " I`m not sure I trust myself."

"Sam?" he softly said.

She had been so busy working through her temptations, that it never occurred to her he struggled with his own.

"Jack. I think we're fooling ourselves. We both know it wouldn't take much, for either of us, to step over the line. To forget about rank, protocol, regulations."

There was a sudden sadness in his eyes, a visual letdown "Yeah, those pesky regulations. So, Major," he casually pointed between them, "... that line...?" She forced a deep breath, her heart pounded, "Close. Enough to know I shouldn't stay." With her admission she allowed him a tactical edge, one of which he immediately took advantage of.

"You survive."

"Sir?" She was unsure where he was going with the ambiguous comment.

"Breaking regulations." He leaned closer, "I've broken a few, ya know. You survive."

Sam took a deep breath. She was rapidly loosing any amount of resistance she may have had. The prospect of being with him was exhilarating, though the reality scared the hell out of her. "Sir, please..." she said in a feeble attempt to regain control.

He held his position, only inches from her face, his nearness intoxicating.

"It's your call, Major." he sighed, " I`ll stand down."

Her heart thundered as their eyes met in unspoken desire.

Her mind, a torrent of conflicting emotions. `Danger Samantha Carter!' she thought, `You're allowing your feelings to rule. But he's so damn... virile! And you do want him, right?. Oh yeah, not a doubt in my mind on that one. It's not like you haven't wanted this. It's been seven years for crying out loud. Shit! I'm starting to sound like him. It's against regulations. He's obviously not too concerned right now. That's why I need to keep my head. Will you loosen up, quit being so damn military. You're a woman, he's...extremely virile. Did I mention virile?. Ok, is it just the sex then? No, it's a whole lot more than that. Admit it Carter, you are in love with him. I know. He loves you? He's made that as obvious as possible, given the circumstances. You've denied yourself far too long. This is wrong_ why? Stand down? Stand down. Stand down!'

"I don`t think so, Jack." she murmured as she cradled the back of his neck, drawing him to her. Their lips brushed in a wave of electrifying passion. She was certain somewhere down the road, there would be hell to pay. But for now, they were on leave, they were alone, he was all hers and regulations be damned.

.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Rita P