Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Near Hiss

by Rozabella
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Near Hiss

Near Hiss

by rozabella

Title: Near Hiss
Author: rozabella
Email: rozabella@hotmail.com
Category: Action/Adventure
Season: any Season
Pairing: Daniel/other
Rating: G
Warnings: violence
Summary: a mission to an apparently uninhabited planet goes a little wrong. as seen through the eyes of daniel.
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).

Daniel Jackson sat in the SGC infirmary, wincing as Dr. Fraser expertly cleaned stitched and bandaged his most recent wound, a deep gash in his left thigh that had rendered him useless to his team. He resented being cooped up in the coldly clinical hospital-like cubicle, but he was looking forward to getting down to some serious translating, working with the tracings he'd taken on the most recent mission before it all went so. well. wrong. As he lay back on the hard mattress, he felt the beginnings of a blood-loss induced drowsiness slipping over him. He wanted desperately to give in to the temptation to sleep but instead decided to run through the events of the last mission alone, just to get it clear, he couldn't help feeling the guilt threatening to overwhelm him...

SG-1 are stood in the gate room preparing once again to pass through the shimmering blue pool of distorted space-time to reach another planet. Daniel checks his watch, noting that the team are ready just a few minutes too early, but that otherwise things seem to be going to plan. Jack O'Neill, his commanding officer and by now good friend turns to his second in command, captain Sam Carter, with his hands firmly entrenched in his pockets, and clears his throat "Uh, Carter?" he asks. "Yes sir?" "I know you've already briefed us with your.um, fascinating er, report." He stops, a little embarrassed. Carter sighs, a small grin briefly twitching on her lips. "Sir, the initial readings from the MALP we sent through to this planet indicate that certain forms of life on this planet, the vegetation to be exact, have the ability to create a protective atmosphere around the planet." She tells him, her tone indicating that he really should know this, especially after her report explained it all in great detail. "So?" Colonel O'Neill prompts her. "Well, it's very similar in composition to our ozone layer, Sir. The implications for Earth could be phenomenal if we could recreate the vegetation and adapt it to Earth's atmosphere." She replies, as if stating the obvious. Daniel and Teal'c nod, Teal'c as always is straight-faced, but Daniel feels the smile breaking on his face as he watches Jack shrug, "Oh," he pauses "I see."

SG-1 passes through the gate into a world of striking colour. The landscape is clear of skyscrapers, indeed of any buildings whatsoever. The team moves a little warily into their surroundings observing the different flora and fauna of the planet, gradually letting down their guard as it becomes increasingly obvious that this part of the planet at least is uninhabited. Dr. Jackson feels himself relax, the tense muscles of his shoulders loosen and he watches the rest of the team remove their jackets in the warm sun and lower their weapons from defensive positions of readiness into a more laid back position. They begin to gather samples of the plant life, being careful not to damage the environment too much, Sam warns them from time to time about the effects of foreign matter and destruction of plant life on an eco-system.

As far as SG-1 can determine, the natives of this planet, if there are any, do not inhabit the area around the stargate. Daniel haltingly offers a well thought out and highly probable reason, "Uh, well, we know that the planet was more than likely populated at some point in the past, otherwise, I.. Uh, well I guess there'd be no need for the, um, the stargate. Why travel to a planet with no-one on it?" he asks, as much to himself as to the rest of the team. Carter looks puzzled and about to answer when Jack asks "So where are they? Did they get wiped out?" Daniel shrugs looking nonplussed, and Teal'c calmly observes, "I believe that assumption to be correct O'Neill. There is no sign of any recent activity, human or otherwise in the area we have surveyed." Sam adds, "But the MALP found what could be very primitive dwellings dating back many millennia a little further from our present location."

"I'd quite like to see those Sam, if we have enough time. Any fragments of evidence of the language of these primitive people may give us some clues to what happened to them, or at least who they were." Says Daniel.

Daniel lay still in the infirmary bed, thinking about how his decision and his passion for his work had led to the deterioration of the mission and the injuries.

SG-1 are standing hunched over in a low cave with carvings of what look a little like hieroglyphs with an alien twist running in vertical lines along the walls. Daniel immediately gets a sheet of tracing paper and a charcoal stick out of his pack and begins to make tracings of the alien writings. Beginning to translate as he goes along.

"Hmm, interesting. We are the rulers of this planet, uh, we dominate the earth and bend it to our mmm, will?" He reads haltingly but surely. Jack turns to him, looking thoughtful, "That sounds a little too familiar Dr. Jackson, would you care to tell us a bit more about these people, and perhaps translate this S symbol here, it seems to be all over these damn walls." Daniel looks closely at the writing again, this time seeming to scan it a lot quicker. He turns and looks at O'Neill, saying simply "I think we might want to get out of here."

As SG-1 move rapidly towards the stargate Teal'c shudders and raises his jaffa weapon, turning to face the oncoming horde of scantily clad primitive people beginning to pour into the valley which houses the stargate. "Goa'uld!" He cries, firing towards the first rank of possessed homicidal maniacs. They grunt and howl in anticipation of the kill, eyes quite literally glowing and wide with the mad instinct to destroy these intruders, to bend them into submission. They carry hand tools that are a far cry from any Goa'uld device previously encountered by any SG team; in fact, they are little more than shaped rocks.

Daniel turns to grab Teal'c whose calm exterior has for once been broken by his hatred for the Goa'uld and their arrogant possession of these simple people. As they grapple together in the face of the oncoming enemy, Sam dials Earth, praying for a fast connection, hoping the Earth gate is not in use.

Teal'c ties to shake Daniel from his back but only succeeds in pulling him into the line of fire. Daniel is caught in the leg by a long sharp, dagger-like rock. Immediately, Teal'c comes to his senses, he lifts the injured doctor over his shoulder and runs towards the stargate, displaying his caring for his friend and fellow team member in the only way he knows how, by once again saving his life. As he dives into the earthbound wormhole, somewhat encumbered by Daniel's unconscious body, covered in the doctor's spilled blood, another of the crude weapons takes Teal'c in the back, they fall together through the gate, and it closes behind them.

Dr. Fraser entered the infirmary; she walked sedately over to where Daniel had begun to pull his trousers over his bandaged leg. "Where on earth do you think you're going young man?" she asked him, eyebrows raised, her usual pleasant smile replaced by a commanding expression that was almost motherly in its superiority and concern.

"Uh, well I'd like to see Teal'c, I think I need to apologise to the whole team in fact for taking them out of their way and into god knows what kind of."

"There will be no need for that Daniel Jackson." Teal'c appeared next to Dr. Fraser, accompanied by Sam and Jack, all grinning at Daniel. "I do believe it is I who should offer my apologies to you, and to the whole team. I am afraid that my hatred of the Goa'uld race has finally endangered the lives of my friends. It will never happen again."

Daniel sank back onto the bed, relieved and tired, but surrounded by his friends, his surrogate family.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to rozabella