Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Ferretti's Folly 2 - Shadows of the Past

by Sally Rolfe
[Reviews - 1]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Ferretti's Folly # 2 - Shadows of the Past

Ferretti's Folly # 2 - Shadows of the Past

by Sally Rolfe

Title: Ferretti's Folly # 2 - Shadows of the Past
Author: Sally Rolfe
Email:blaidd@brentstait.fsnet.co.uk
Status: This part complete, but more parts to come...
Category: Romance/action/angst
Spoilers: COTG, WTSG, season 3 "Shades of Grey" & season 4 "Divide and Conquer"
Season/Sequel info: Ferretti's Folly # 2
Rating: PG-13
Content Warnings: slight bad language
Summary: Ferretti's mistakes continue.....
DISCLAIMER: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of me and are not to be used without my express permission.
DEDICATION: To my best friend Winifred, Brent Stait for making Ferretti so lovely and for being so darn gorgeous! and to all those who work so hard to bring us such a fantastic series. Thanks guys!
FEEDBACK: YES PLEASE!!
AUTHOR'S NOTES: Takes place 3 months after events of # 1 "Fatal Mistake". Lots of Ferretti whumping! but I love him really!!!! oh, *** *** indicates a flash back sequence and ~*~*~*~*~*~ indicates a change of scene.

Major Lysa Pasco stood in the briefing room, eyes closed for a moment as she waited for "her" new team to arrive. A movement caused her to spin round, snapping to attention, a smart salute delivered to General Hammond. Three men followed him, taking their seats quickly, eyes on their new CO. Taking a seat beside Hammond, she looked at each member of her team, her first command.

"Major Pasco, this is Captain Rogers. He's another scientist" Hammond indicated the young blond opposite her. Steel grey eyes appraised her, sizing her up, hands folded serenely in his lap.

"Lt. Richard Gowen, weapons and tactics specialist" the dark haired man beside Rogers nodded in response to Hammond's introduction, liquid brown eyes shining with excitement.

"And Dr. Thomas Shea, archaeologist" the man sat to her right watched her, copper hair falling across his face as hazel eyes regarded her with obvious interest.

"Thank you Sir" Lysa acknowledged, being addressed as Major still something she was trying to get used to. Her promotion had taken place two days before, Hammond requesting her presence immediately following the ceremony to notify her of his intent to give her a command. Everyone she cared about had been there to see her promoted: Jack O'Neill smiling smugly, Sam Carter and Janet Fraiser looking proud enough to burst, Daniel Jackson winking at her as she made her way up the ramp, Teal'c bowing his head to her in the Jaffa way of honouring comrades. The members of SG6, the team she had joined after her brief, fateful, spell with SG2, had beamed with pride as one of their own was honoured. The promotion had come about as a result of her actions during SG6's mission to P3T-813. The mission had been a standard Recon but an attack by the Goa'uld System Lord Nurti had changed the rules, culminating in the successful capture of Nurti, at Lysa's hands. By way of thanks, it had been decided to promote her to Major and give her command of a much needed new SG team. "SG-16". The word echoed round her mind as she looked at her new team, people who'd never been through the gate before, people whose lives she was now responsible for. This meeting was something she had not even dared dream about when she first arrived at the SGC.....

*** ***

"General Hammond sir, Captain Lysa Pasco reporting for duty Sir!" A crisp salute accompanied her words, taking her seat once Hammond returned her salute. The other woman in the meeting, a pretty blonde with a friendly smile, glanced at the older man beside her who rolled his eyes slightly. Lysa spared a swift glance at the man beside whom she was seated before turning her attention back to the General.

"Captain Pasco, I'd like to you meet Captain Samantha Carter" he indicated the pretty blond, who nodded her head in greeting. "She's head of the small group of scientists we have here on the base. You'll be working with her, among others, during your time here. Beside her is Col. Jack O'Neill, leader of SG1" the older man nodded, a smile tugging at the corners of her mouth.

"Seated to your right is Major Louis Ferretti, leader of SG2" She looked at Ferretti properly, now she had an excuse to, an unspoken message passing between them as he inclined his head in greeting.

"They'll show you the ropes, take you through procedure etc., before they both depart for their next missions" Hammond's voice was kind but firm, making it clear to the newcomer that he was approachable but reminding her he was also in command of the entire facility.

"Thank you sir" Lysa responded, her tone indicating that she understood everything he had, and had not, said.

"Very well, dismissed" Hammond got to his feet, taking the salutes of each officer before making his way back to his office.

"Captain, why don't I show you to your quarters?" Ferretti suggested, his tone polite and formal though his eyes sparkled with mischief.

"Thank you Major Ferretti" she was no fool, deciding to play along with the "we-don't-know-each-other" routine until they were alone. With a salute, and a smile, to the two members of SG1, Lysa turned and followed Ferretti from the room.

*** ***

"Major, the briefing for your first mission is scheduled for 0700 hrs tomorrow morning. I suggest you get your team settled and show them where everything is" Hammondwatched as her attention snapped back to the present, hiding a smile as he realised she was still having trouble acknowledging her new rank. He was about to dismiss them when a Klaxon began sounding, indicating an off-world activation. Lysa close on his heels, Hammond rushed down to the control room, wondering who was trying to come through the gate now.

"Sgt. Davis?" he inquired, knowing he did not have to be any more specific in his questions.

"It's SG2's remote code sir" Davis replied, a trace of worry in his voice as the team were not due home for another 24 hours. The iris bloomed open moments before the members of SG2 stumbled through, two of them supporting an obviously injured Major Ferretti. Lysa's sharp intake of breath startled her, her mind running through a infinite number of possibilities as she rushed down to the gate room. She stopped at the bottom of the ramp as she remembered that Ferretti was no longer any of her concern, her heart in her mouth nonetheless. He'd made his choice three months ago when they'd returned from their first mission, and she hadn't seen him since. He had refused to speak to her when she regained consciousness, making sure from then on that his team was not due to arrive or depart any time when she might be around. But seeing him now, kneeling on the ramp and clutching his chest in pain, she realised that she had not stopped loving him. She was about to leave, to get away before he saw her, when he lifted his head and looked straight at her. The pain in his eyes broke her heart, as she saw that he had not stopped loving her either. The realisation that he still loved her just made the pain of the break-up worse, and she spun on her heel, striding from the room before she did something she might regret.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Ferretti made for the gate, his chest throbbing with agony from broken ribs, trying to escape the Jaffa that were fast gaining on them. He saw the gate explode open just as his body convulsed in pain, the blast from a Zat gun running through him, causing him to fall to the hard earth. Two of his team were by his side instantly, dragging him towards the gate as the third transmitted their iris code. Next thing he knew, they were stumbling though the gate on Earth, the iris spinning shut behind them, preventing any unwelcome visitors. Falling to his knees on the ramp, he pressed his arm against his chest, trying in vain to make the pain stop. A slight whiff of a familiar scent caught his attention and he used the last of his energy to raise his head, looking straight into the eyes of the woman he loved, the woman he'd turned his back on three months earlier. The love in her eyes caused his pain to increase, realising the mistake he had made that fateful day when he had ended their involvement. His eyes devoured her, the Major's insignia on her uniform making guilt swell within him as he recalled how he had delayed his team's return to avoid the promotion ceremony. He saw the hurt return to her eyes, making him want to call out to her as she turned her back on him and strode from the room. As she disappeared from view, the last of his energy ebbed away and he slumped onto the ramp, the blessed oblivion rising up to claim him.

*** ***

Ferretti looked at his best friend, Charles Kawalsky, as the both tried to smother their sniggers. Their friend and CO, Col. Jack O'Neill, shot them a dirty look and they quietened down, faces assuming suitably serious expressions. Their eyes sparkled with humour though, as O'Neill put the pretty Captain Carter in her place....

Ferretti doubled up with laughter as O'Neill spluttered, having just tried Skaara's 'moonshine' and found out how potent it was. Kawalsky was laughing just as hard, the two friends enjoying their CO's embarrassment immensely. He couldn't believe how glad he was to be back on Abydos, a place he had once described as a "God-forsaken planet". The faces of the "kids" they'd fought alongside during the battle with RA were smiling, making him wonder whether being stuck here would have been such a bad thing....

"You have to hand it to Daniel, she is one beautiful woman" he murmured, watching as Sha're sashayed past them. Smutty thoughts raced through his mind, interrupted by the sudden activation of the stargate. Grabbing his MP-5, he took up position, wondering who the hell was coming through the gate and what their intentions were......

Hearing the chevrons beginning to engage, Ferretti used the last of his strength to pull himself into a semi-upright position, battling to stay conscious long enough to see the symbols on the DHD. Left eye useless, blood running down his face, head throbbing, he watched as the alien entered the symbols for their destination......

Standing at the base of the ramp, Ferretti listened as Hammond explained that their mission was to bring SG1 back for court-marshal.

"Major, bring them back alive and well" the plea in Hammond's voice was unmistakable.

"That's my plan Sir" Ferretti replied, understanding the General's desire to have SG1 home safe and sound. Behind him, the rest of SG2 murmured their affirmation of his statement as he watched the sixth chevron lock in place. The gate spun round, stopping at the symbol for Earth and then....nothing. The gate wouldn't engage. He heard Sgt. Davis inform Hammond and turned to look at those in the control room, defeat on their faces. Feeling a mixture of anger and despair, Ferretti stared up at the gate, his chance to help his friends slipping away......

"O'Neill's resigned" the words echoed round his mind as Ferretti made his way to see General Hammond, unable to believe the things he'd heard. O'Neill wouldn't steal, he wouldn't 'mouth-off' at their CO and he certainly wouldn't accept 'early retirement', would he? He'd known Jack for a long time and something didn't ring true about the situation. He suspected that Jack was under orders to behave this way, utilising his black-ops training to go under cover, but for what reason? Heading for the General's office, he was determined to find out...

"So you and Sam have finally admitted your attraction huh?" Ferretti couldn't help laughing at the look of discomfort on O'Neill's face. "It's about time!"

"And isn't it about time you admit that you've made a mistake and get back together with Lysa?" O'Neill's tone indicated that this was, in his opinion, the ideal solution.

"I can't Jack. We can't be together. Unless we are the same rank, it's against regs" the Major replied, his voice giving away his desire to do as Jack suggested. "And, even if we were the same rank, it would be frowned upon".

"I know Louis but you can't help who you fall in love with" the irony of the situation was not lost on either man, laughter bubbling up inside as they both came to the same conclusion. Their love lives were destined to be difficult!

*** ***

Reality began to seep back into Ferretti's drug-riddled mind, his urge to be conscious fighting the sedatives in his system, and winning. A moan escaped his lips as the pain returned, his broken ribs complaining, his head aching.

"So, you've decided to rejoin the living?" Janet's voice was quiet but clear, indicating to the injured Major that she was close by, traces of amusement colouring her tone.

"Lysa?" Ferretti's desire to make right his mistake caused him to blurt her name, realising as the word passed his lips that he should not have said it here.

"She's gone to get a little sleep before she departs on her mission. She's been by your side all night" Janet's tone indicated that she was well aware of the situation between the two officers, and that she disapproved of them not being together.

"You know?" he had to know, the strain of keeping the secret finally becoming too much.

"Yes. I guessed something was going on months ago but when Lysa was injured, the pieces sort of fell into place. Why didn't you tell her when she was awake Ferretti?" she wasn't happy about the way her friend had been treated.

"I didn't want to end it at all Janet, but it had to be done" was the only justification of his actions he would give. "When does she leave?"

"In about an hour" suspicion coloured her voice as she realised what he was going to ask.

"Can you help me? Will you help me? I have to see her before she leaves" his desperation to make amends was obvious, making Janet inclined to help him.

"What do you want me to do?" she wanted to know, seeing the relief in his eyes as he looked at her gratefully.

"Just get her here before she leaves. Please" he pleaded, grasping Janet's hand as he tried to make sure she knew how urgent his request was.

"I'll try, but I can't promise anything" she advised, knowing the state of mind Lysa had been in when she'd left the infirmary. Her answer seemed to be enough for the wounded Major, who sank back onto the bed, eyes closed but pain ravaging his face. With a small sigh, she turned and left the infirmary, hoping Lysa would do as she asked and visit Ferretti before she left.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Anger coursed through her as Lysa stood by Ferretti's bedside, unable to believe that anyone could be so stupid. Shaking her head in disbelief, she started to turn away, his hand on her arm preventing her departure.

"I'm sorry Lysa. That didn't come out the way it should have" his apology was heartfelt, his pain causing him to be unusually blunt.

"How else could it have sounded?" she snapped, wondering how Janet had ever talked her into this. "I still love you but I know I made the right decision when I ended our relationship" she mimicked his tone almost exactly, her anger evident.

"I didn't mean that I don't want to be with you. I just meant that, at the time, we couldn't be together" his voice was strained, the effort to get her to understand making his pain worse.

"Nothing's changed Louis. Our relationship would be as much against regs now as it was then" her calm statement tore into him, making him wonder if she had ever really loved him.

"Actually, as we're the same rank, it wouldn't be as bad. But you obviously don't give a damn about me, or us, so I won't bother!" the words were passed his lips before he realised he'd said them, regretting them as soon as they were uttered.

"No, you don't bother, that's the problem! You don't bother to consider anyone else's feelings but your own! How do you think I felt when I regained consciousness and you weren't here? And to finish our relationship with a note?! You couldn't have been any more callous if you'd tried!" she hissed, furious at his attitude.

"Go to hell!" he snarled, cut to the quick by her accusation. A stunned look crossed her face for a moment before she turned away from him, yanking her arm from his grip and storming out of the room.

"You selfish bastard" Janet's voice was angry, the fight witnessed when the raised voices attracted her attention.

"Mind your own business!" he snapped, angry at having had an audience, and at the way he had messed things up for the second time.

The unseen stranger watched with interest, interest piqued at how one person could make so many mistakes. "Strike two Ferretti. Three strikes and you're out" came it's inaudible, cryptic comment....

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Sally Rolfe