Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Strawberry Wine

by Samantha
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Strawberry Wine

Strawberry Wine

by Samantha

Title: Strawberry Wine
Author: Samantha
Email: Gater_Sam@hotmail.com
Category: Filk/Song, Romance
Season: any Season
Pairing: Sam/Jack
Rating: G
Warnings: none
Summary: Sam remembers the first summer she fell in love.
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).

Title- Strawberry Wine
Author- Samantha
Email- Gater_Sam@hotmail.com
Rating- G
Category- Romance
Pairings- Sam/Jack
Summary- Sam remembers the first summer she fell in love. Spoilers- None
Status- Complete
Feedback- YES PLEASE!!!
Disclaimer- They're not mine. Big surprise there. It all belongs to MGM, Gekko, and whoever else is involved. The story is mine though. The song belongs to the original artist and related parties. I have made no money from this and wrote it for entertainment purposes only. Author's note- I know that a lot of people don't like songfics but I do. I also love this song. Dedication- To everyone who reads this. I hope you like it. Copyright- Samantha Fox 09/02.

Sam hummed to herself as she drove towards her grandfather's farm. She made this journey every year, usually a week earlier but they had been on a mission. She had spent every summer there since she was five years old. No one had lived or worked on the farm since she was twenty-five but that didn't stop her from coming for a week each year, because she came for the memories. The radio began playing a song that Sam had never heard before, it summed up her present situation with surprising accuracy and couldn't fail to make her smile as she drove down the dusty back roads of New Mexico.

*He was working through college,
On my grandpa's farm.
I was thirsting for knowledge,
And he had a car.
I was caught somewhere between a woman and a child, One restless summer we found love growing wild, Along the banks of the river on a well beaten path, It's funny how those memories they last.*

It did surprise Sam that of all the things she remembered from her time at the farm it was one summer spent with a cadet who'd only ever referred to himself as 'J'. The only thing the song had wrong was that 'J' had been doing his basic training and was working in the forest at the edge of the farm, and he hadn't had a car, he'd had a motorbike.

*Like strawberry wine, seventeen,
The hot July moon saw everything,
My first taste of love, oh bittersweet, And green on the vine, like strawberry wine. I still remember, when thirty was old,
My biggest fear was September, when he had to go, A few cards and letters and one long distance call, We drifted away like the leaves in the fall But year after year I come back to this place, Just to remember the taste.*

Sam's smile grew broader as memories danced through her mind.

~O~ Samantha Carter walked silently through the forest trying to watch the cadets without them seeing her. One cadet in particular actually, he had dark brown hair, deep brooding brown eyes and biceps that most men would kill for. She knew that he must be older than her and that she didn't really stand a chance, but he was so hot. A twig snapped behind her and Sam spun round, coming face to face with Mr. Deep and brooding himself. She gasped, took a startled step back, bumped into a tree and tripped to the floor without an ounce of elegance. Damn it. "hi, didn't mean to startle you." He held out a hand to help her to her feet. "I just guessed that seeing as you've been stalking me all morning, I could get away with a little of it myself." Sam started to turn red.
"I wasn't...I mean I didn't mean...uh...hi" Sam stuttered. He smiled at her in a way that made that made Sam melt. "I'm Jo...Ja...just call me J." He introduced himself. "In that case," Sam smiled back, 'you can call me...S." "S?" He asked, raising his eyebrows.
"Yes." Sam laughed
"Ok." J replied, giving her another one of his lop sided grins. S turned and ran away into the forest with a laugh, J ran after her, catching her easily, grabbing her around the middle and pulling her to the forest floor. Without even thinking J pushed his lips against hers, the two of them completely lost in the moment, forgetting that they had only just met. "Wow." S breathed when they parted. "That was the last thing I expected." "I am so sorry. That was completely out of line." J apologized. "And yet it was kinda nice." S told him. J smiled and kissed her again.
"Now I know why I came to basic training." He whispered. "Why are you whispering?" S asked, also in a whisper. 'Just in case my commander hears me saying that I joined up to meet girls. I'd be out on my ass.' S laughed, capturing J's lips again before climbing to her feet. "come on." J said holding out his hand once they were both on their feet again. "Where to?" she asked suspiciously.
"I'll show you." J grabbed her hand and pulled her through the thick undergrowth towards the dirt track at the bottom of the farm. Stopping in front of a shiny new motorcycle. "It's gorgeous." S ran her hand over the smooth steel. "I'm gonna get one just like this." J laughed, "We'll have to go out on them together when you do." "I'll hold you to that." S insisted. "Will you take me out on it now?" J looked around to make sure no one would see them before starting the bike and driving them out to the river. "I love the water." J confided in her. "You should see my Grandpa's cabin, right by the lake. It's beautiful." "Maybe we could ride up there when I get that bike." S suggested. "I'll hold you to that." J placed a kiss on her neck before pushing her into the water. S gasped as she fell, grabbing hold of J's arm and pulling him with her. They both sat in the water laughing and shivering before they started kissing, forgetting the chill of the water. It was dark when J pulled up outside the farmhouse. "I'm not going to get you into trouble am I?" he asked, whispering once again. "Probably." S giggled.
"Will I see you tomorrow?" He asked eagerly. "I hope so." S replied, kissing him soundly before running into the house without looking back. ~O~

*The fields have grown over now,
Years since they've seen the plough,
There's nothing time hasn't touched.
Was it really him or the loss of my innocence, I've been missing so much.*

Sam's thought's came back to the present as she pulled up at the farm. She wondered if she came back here because she actually missed J or if it was simply that she missed being the young and carefree seventeen year old that had found love that summer. Climbing out of her car Sam walked towards the river. Stopping at the edge of the trees and looking at the spot where they'd fallen in that summer. A twig snapped behind her and Sam spun around. Coming face to face with those deep, brooding eyes all over again. "It was you." Sam gasped.
"I can't believe I never noticed before." He finished for her. "You're J." she whispered.
"Why are you whispering?" he asked her also in a whisper. "In case my Commander thinks think I only signed up to meet boys." "Too late." He laughed pushing his lips against hers. Sam turned away from him and ran towards the river. J followed closely behind her, going to grab her just as Sam ducked out of the way. As J fell into the water he caught hold of Sam's arm pulling her in after him. They sat in the water laughing and shivering. "Well, J, this seems a little familiar huh?" "No one's called me J since I met a beautiful blonde during basic training." J smiled at S. "Call me Jack." "In that case, Jack. You can call me Sam." Jack leant towards Sam and kissed her the same way he had that summer. In that moment Sam realised that it most defiantly wasn't the young, carefree, motorcycleless seventeen year old that she missed. It was without a doubt, Him that she had come back to the farm for year after year. This week would make every other year spent alone worthwhile. Sam pulled away from Jack. "What are you doing here anyway?"
"I've been coming here the same week every summer since you stopped returning my phone calls." Jack informed her. Sam couldn't believe that she had spent fifteen years missing him by only a week. "You didn't keep your motorcycle." Sam pointed out. "It wasn't quite the same without you on the back of it." Jack met Sam's eyes. "You didn't come to the cabin with me." He countered "I didn't realise it was you." Sam reminded him. "And now that you do?"
"I'd love to come to the cabin with you." Sam smiled. Oh yes, Jack decided, the song he had heard on the way down had been right. Strawberry wine, a seventeen-year-old blonde, a hot July moon and a bittersweet love. It had been the perfect summer and now he had the chance to relive it, again and again.

If you enjoyed this story,please send feedback to Samantha