Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

All I Want for Christmas

by Squacco
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
All I Want for Christmas

All I Want for Christmas

by squacco

Title: All I Want for Christmas
Author: squacco
Email: squacco@onetel.com
Category: Holiday, Humor, Romance
Episode related: 001 Stargate - The Movie
Holiday: Christmas
Season: Season 6
Pairing: Sam/Jack
Rating: PG-13
Warnings: adult themes
Summary: Sam decides to grant Jack's Christmas wish.
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).

All I Want For Christmas

Colonel Jack O'Neill was in his office at the SGC. He was bored. It has to be said that this was not an uncommon occurrence for O'Neill. He liked to think of himself as a 'man of action' at his best, and most content, when in command in a tough situation, putting his tactical knowledge to good effect, to get his team out of yet another jam. He sighed. For once even his paperwork was up to date and, as it was only 2 days before Christmas, there were no off-world missions planned.

'Christmas' - Jack was surprised at just how much he was looking forward to the festive season this year. Of course, when he'd still been with Sarah - when Charlie had been the centre of his world - then he'd loved Christmas, seeing it through his son's eyes. Then came the dark years - Charlie dead, Sarah gone - then he'd only managed to survive the holiday by drinking himself into oblivion. He felt himself flush with the shame of it, but hell, everyone had his own way of dealing with bad stuff, and at the time Jack had relied on a copious supply of his near namesake, Jack Daniels.

Now though he had a new family. He smiled at the thought, for that's exactly what they were. Much more than mere colleagues or friends - Teal'c, Carter, Hammond, Janet and Cassie and, hell yes, even Jonas - they were his family and he cared deeply about each and every one of them. To his chagrin he realised that maybe he hadn't made enough effort in the past to show them just how important they were to him. This Christmas, he decided, he'd make a special effort to give them all something that would, in some way, say what he always found difficult to put into words.

'Mm, so what to get them' he thought. Actually he'd already got Carter's gift, something he'd seen months before on a mission off world that was just perfect for her. Of course, it wasn't possible to buy something but he'd managed to obtain it with a little judicious bartering. As usual, thoughts of Carter brought a smile to his face and got him to thinking about what he himself would like for Christmas.

He began to hum a little song that he remembered his Mom singing to him as a child. He only had to modify the words slightly to make them fit.
"All I want for Christmas is my 2 I C, My 2 I C, my 2 I C, All I want for Christmas is my 2 I C So I can........."

"Sir?"
He physically jumped. "Carter? What in the hell you doin' creepin' up on me like that?" "Sorry Sir," she said, giving him a wide-eyed innocent look "but General Hammond wants to see us in his office about the mission report on P3X-427". "Oh, OK, carry on Major, I'll be along shortly." "Yes Sir" She walked off, back down the corridor. 'Jeez' thought Jack 'how long had she been standing there? I really should get into the habit of shutting the office door.'

Sam Carter meanwhile was trying to suppress a broad grin. She'd been wondering what to get the Colonel for Christmas...maybe now she knew, though whether or not she had the courage, well she'd have to see. She smiled, he'd actually blushed when he saw her standing in the doorway - he looked so cute. How she loved him.

Jack was up and about early on Christmas Day. This was just his natural inclination, no point in staying in bed when you had no one to share it with. By 0800 he had breakfasted, showered and dressed. He found a local station on the radio playing cheesy Christmas songs and, humming along, proceeded to sort and wrap the gifts he'd bought. They were all congregating at Janet's house for dinner, except for Hammond, who was going to his daughters', and they'd agreed to exchange gifts there. Jack had invited them all around to his place for a more relaxed buffet, beer and movies night on Boxing Day. In the recent past he'd always spent the holiday alone. Teal'c would go off to visit his family, Daniel would either go to Abydos or some stuffy museum in Cairo and Carter to her brother in San Diego. But this year, by an unspoken mutual consent, they'd all decided to stay in Colorado Springs. Only Daniel, of course, would be missing. Jack sighed; he really missed his friend. Jonas was a good guy, if a little irritating at times, but Daniel had been like a kid brother and Jack, in his own way, had loved him dearly.

He happily pottered around for a few hours, carefully wrapping his gifts, dressing his Christmas tree and checking that he had plenty of food and drink for the next day. By 1230 he had finished his chores and went to make himself a sandwich and a cup of coffee. He wasn't expected at Janet's until about 1500, so still had time to kill before having to get ready. While waiting for the coffee, he stared out of his kitchen window, his mind wandering back over some of the good times in the past. It was a fine day today, it had snowed overnight, but now the sky was clear and blue and the world looked crisp and cold, clean and pure. He wasn't a particularly spiritual man but there sure was something special about today, something momentous, he could feel it like a deep bubble of excitement building inside him; it almost made him want to laugh out loud.

A loud knocking at his front door jerked him from his reverie. 'Who on Earth can that be?' he thought, making his way to the door. Opening it he was astonished to see Carter standing there. He could tell straight away that there was something a little, well, 'odd' about her. She looked, not scared exactly, but definitely apprehensive. She was wearing a long button-through coat and her face was flushed rosy pink. "Carter?"
"Er, Hi Sir, Merry Christmas"
"Back at ya....come in, come in you must be frozen." He stood back and she walked past him into the house. It was bitterly cold outside and he quickly closed the door against the winter chill. "So Carter, whatcha doin' here?"
"Er, I've come to give you your Christmas present". Amazingly she bit her lower lip and dropped her eyes, she was obviously very embarrassed about something. "I thought we'd agreed to exchange gifts at Janet's?" Jack said, perplexed by her behaviour. To his astonishment, Sam muttered something under her breath, it sounded like, 'c'mon Carter you can't wimp out now; it's make or break time'. "Sam?" Jack was becoming a little concerned at her uncharacteristic behaviour. At his use of her given name she seemed to stiffen, as if it had given her the resolve she needed. "Ah, well you see, Jack" she paused, watching as he tried to suppress a smile at her use of his name, "what I have for you I can't exactly give you at Janet's." She flushed pink as she spoke the words, ending on a nervous little chuckle. Jack was even more perplexed, so, thinking he could get her to relax a little, said, "Here, let me take your coat". Sam smiled, a long, slow, most un-Sam like smile. It turned his bones to water. "Sure, Jack" she said, her voice not much above a whisper. She began to undo the buttons of her coat, her fingers fumbling. "Here, let me" Jack closed the gap between them and Sam stood passively, arms by her side as he slowly undid the buttons.

By the time he'd reached the fourth one he realised that something was awry, and by the sixth stood open mouthed in amazement. Underneath the coat, his Major was wearing only a tiny lace teddy and a pair of minute briefs. He quickly pulled the coat to, covering her scantily clad body. "Sam, what the hell's goin'on?"
She didn't speak but instead began to hum a little tune. She looked at him with a small smile, her head held a little coquettishly on one side. Now he understood - she'd heard him singing that damn silly song and this was payback time. Finally she spoke. "You said that you wanted me for Christmas...so here I am." For the first time he realised that she was being deadly serious. "Sam, I..."
"If you turn me down Jack O'Neill I'll never speak to you again" she said sternly "that is if I don't die of embarrassment first." Jack hugged her to him, laughing out loud "Oh, Sam you never cease to amaze me." "So" she said, her voice muffled in the folds of his sweater "are you going to finish opening your present, or not?" Jack's shoulders heaved with suppressed laughter as Sam squirmed out of his embrace. "Damn you, stop laughing at me!" She tried to be serious, but then the situation got to her too and she began to chuckle. Soon they were both helpless with laughter, supporting each other as they gasped for breath. "Oh goodness, Sam" Jack finally managed. She looked up at him and grinned. Their eyes met and held and suddenly neither of them was laughing anymore. "Oh Sam" Jack breathed, lowering his head and capturing her lips with his. The kiss was tentative at first but soon they relaxed and the passion quickly began to build. Jack slipped his arms under Sam's coat, his hands caressing her warm, silky skin, causing her to tremble in his embrace. They broke and pulled back, gazing at each other. "Sam, seriously, are you sure about this? You know that there can be no going back?" "I know" she nodded "and I admit I'm scared, but I can't resist any longer. I've had my fill of loneliness; I want someone to share my life with. Dammit, I think I deserve it!" "Wow, fighting talk! C'mon, let's sit down and think about this" He led her across to the couch. "Er, can I get you something to wear?" he asked trying, but failing, to keep a straight face. "Oh, God I'll never live this down will I?" she sighed. Reaching into her pocket she pulled out her car keys "Here, there's a bag in my trunk" Jack reached out for the keys, pausing to kiss her cheek. "It'll be a great story to tell the grandkids" he smiled "and, by the way, you look absolutely stunning" He waggled his eyebrows at her. "Oh, go on" she chuckled.

Jack soon returned with her bag. "Here, you go and get dressed. I'll make us some coffee, then we'd best think about what we're going to do." Sam nodded and, picking up the bag, went off to the bathroom.

A few minutes later she found Jack in the kitchen. He turned and smiled as she came into the room. "Wow, you look great Sam, love the dress." He made a little twirling motion with his hand and she dutifully obeyed. The dress was of some soft clingy material, aquamarine in colour, with a skirt that swirled out from her hips as she pirouetted in front of him. She positively glowed now, he noticed and she seemed to have overcome her earlier embarrassment. Impulsively he reached out and pulled her into his arms. He smiled down at her, holding her gaze. "You know I had the strangest feeling earlier today that something special was going to happen to me." He paused, feeling himself drown in her beautiful blue eyes. "Sam" he paused again, then whispered, "I love you."

She hadn't been certain, when she decided on this course of action, what the outcome would be. She did know however, that her life might not be the same thereafter. But even she, in her wildest imagination, hadn't foreseen this. She felt so overwhelmed she couldn't speak, her mouth opening and closing without making a sound, as she felt her eyes brim with tears. "Sam?" Jack asked, consternation in his voice. She smiled tremulously at him, slipping her arms around his neck "And I love you". She pulled him down for a long slow kiss that left them both reeling. "Wow" she said, causing Jack to chuckle. "So, where do we go from here?" he said finally, bringing a bit of sobriety to the proceedings. "No secrets" Sam stated firmly "We'll tell the others today and tomorrow we'll approach the General." Jack nodded in agreement "I'm pretty sure he won't throw the book at us, but we'd best prepare ourselves, just in case." "You're right of course" Sam agreed "but I won't back down, not this time" Jack caressed her cheek "You are a star" he smiled at her.

"Hey, look at the time" he said, "I'd better go and get changed or we'll be late and Janet would never forgive me. She keeps threatening me with those big needles as it is'" Sam chuckled "You know she doesn't really mean it, she's got a real soft spot for you." "You're kidding?"
"No, of course not. Now go on, hurry up." She shoo'd him out of the room.

Twenty minutes later he was ready. "Mm you look good enough to eat," she murmured as she kissed him lingeringly. He was in smart black pants and a shirt that was several shades darker than Sam's dress. "Well, if I may say so, I think we make a very dashing couple." He grinned at her. Sam collected her coat as Jack packed his gifts in a bag. He picked up his jacket and keys. "OK, let's go. D'you want to drive yourself or come with me?" "Mm, I think I'll come with you. My gifts are in the car, I'll pick them up on the way."

As they drove across town to Janet's house Sam asked "How are we going to tell them? And when?" She sounded a little worried at the prospect. "Well I think we can have a little fun first don't you?" Jack said. "Relax Sam, they're going to be fine about it." "Yeah, I guess - ah, I just wish" she sighed, suddenly sounding sad. "Daniel?" Jack said quietly.
"Yes, I still miss him so."
"Me too, but perhaps he's up there somewhere, watching. I know he'd be really happy for us." Sam squeezed his hand "Yeah."
"Well here we are - you ready for this?" "Mm, I hope."
They climbed out of the car retrieving their gifts from the trunk and, laden down, made their way to Janet's front door. Cassie must have been looking out for them because the door opened immediately to reveal her beaming face. "Hey Jack, hey Sam, Merry Christmas" she hugged them both before looking up very obviously to the sprig of mistletoe that had been hung in the hallway. Jack picked her up and swung her round, planting a big kiss on her cheek. "Happy Christmas, Angel" he said "my you're looking very gorgeous today, whatever's happened to my favourite little girl?" "She grew up Jack" Cassie said dryly, giving Sam a very knowing look. "Hey" she pointed up to the mistletoe once more "don't think you're going to escape Sam" Jack smiled at Sam "Well Major, what do you say?" "Well Colonel, it is, after all a Christmas tradition." "Mm, it is isn't it?"
Cassie looked on, her face full of expectation, but Jack merely gave Sam a very chaste kiss on the cheek before they both bustled into the house to greet the others. "Poor Cassie" Sam whispered as Jack helped her with her coat, "she looks so disappointed." "Well we'll have to manage something better for her later on." Jack chuckled.

Soon their friends were hugging them. The house was very festive and there were mouth-watering smells coming from the kitchen. Jonas dragged Jack off to get him a drink and Janet herded Sam into the kitchen, obviously determined on a girly tete a tete. "Sam you look great, in fact you both look great," she said, making an obvious reference to Jack. "I didn't realise that you'd arranged to come with the Colonel." "Oh, er, yeah. I've been having a little car trouble, so he offered me a lift." "Oh" said Janet archly "Really?"
"Janet!" said Sam sternly.
"Ok, ok" her friend laughed, "I won't say another word, I promise. Now let me get you a drink. Dinner will be about 40 minutes."

A couple of hours later, the friends were sprawled around Janet's room, full of good food and drink. Sam got to her feet "Well, I'm going to load the dishwasher" she said pointedly. Janet began to stir but was forestalled by Jack. "Oh, no Jan you relax, Sam and I will take care of things, leave it to us." "Thanks guys" she said, easing back into her chair as they disappeared into the kitchen. 'So' she thought to herself 'it's 'Sam' now is it?' She knew that she'd detected a subtle difference in the behaviour of her two favourite people. She would watch developments with interest.

Meanwhile, in the kitchen, Sam and Jack were busy tidying up and clearing and stacking dishes. Jack found every opportunity he could to touch her, until, when she finally slammed the dishwasher door shut he pinned her against the kitchen counter and kissed her thoroughly. Unbeknownst to the couple an open-mouthed Cassie was observing them from the half open door. She squealed, causing them to jump apart. Jack grinned at her and winked, placing a finger over his lips in a shushing gesture. She clasped her hands over her mouth in glee and skipped off. "I think we just made her Christmas" Sam murmured in Jack's ear "C'mon, or they'll all be wondering what we're getting up to in here." Jack gave her one last brief kiss and sauntered back out into the lounge, followed a few minutes later by Sam. They sat next to each other on the couch, close but not touching, both looking very demure in their almost matching outfits.

"Please may we open our presents now?" wailed Cassie "I've been so patient" Janet laughed, "Yes you have honey, you go and fetch ours, they're under the tree" Cassie dashed off, her face full of expectation, as the others retrieved their gifts from various parts of the room. "Well as Santa isn't here I vote that Cassie hands around all the gifts," said Jack. Janet nodded. "Sure hon., go ahead"
Cassie duly collected together all the presents and distributed a small pile to each of them. Each in turn opened one gift so that they could all see and enjoy them, until just Jack and Sam were left, with one unopened gift each. Jack held up a slim package. "Who's it from?" yelled Cassie. "It says, very formally 'To Colonel O'Neill from Major Carter'" Jack looked at Sam, a broad grin on his face "What's this? I thought I'd already had my present." Sam blushed, much to everyone's interest. "Ah" she said "contingency plan." Jack laughed, causing the others to wonder what on earth the cryptic exchange was about. Opening the gift Jack found a CD-rom of the latest astronomy software. "Hey, Sam thank you, this is great." He leaned across and kissed her on the cheek. "Come on Sam, you're the last" cried Cass, "Read the label" Sam read, "It says 'To Sam from Jack'". Cassie sighed in disappointment, she'd been hoping for some grand declaration of undying love. Sam tore off the wrapping to reveal a slim grey case. Opening it she gasped. "Oh Jack, it's beautiful". Lying on a bed of satin was an exquisite necklace. It was in the form of a collar but fashioned from some metal that certainly hadn't originated on Earth. The strands composing it were worked so fine as to be like threads of gossamer and they shimmered with a silvery blue sheen. In the centre of the collar was suspended a single large aquamarine, almost the exact shade of Sam's dress. She gazed down at the gift, not knowing what to say; goodness knows what lengths Jack had had to go to, to obtain it. "Here, let me" he whispered, taking the necklace and clasping it round her neck. He gently stroked her cheek. "You look beautiful, just as I imagined". They were now oblivious to their audience, who watched with delight as Sam threw herself into Jack's arms and kissed him full on the lips. "Thank you" she whispered. Jack just smiled and Sam allowed her attention to be diverted by Cassie and Janet.

Jack took the opportunity, whilst everyone was crowded around Sam, to pop into the kitchen, where he retrieved a bottle of Champagne that he'd earlier secreted in Janet's refrigerator. He collected glasses and placed them on a tray before rejoining the others in the lounge. "Hey Cass" he called "Is that another present I can see? Look, over there under the tree." Cassie went over to investigate and sure enough there was a small parcel that she was sure hadn't been there a moment ago. "Who's it for, hon?" asked Janet, intrigued. Cassie read the label and grinned, "It says 'For Jack to give to Sam'". Jack smiled and winked at the girl as she handed over the little package. The others looked on as he unwrapped it but he carefully kept it concealed in his hand. There was a tangible air of expectancy in the room; they were all aware that this was somehow a significant moment. Jack finally revealed a small box which he opened, holding out its' contents for Sam. It was a ring. It was fashioned in the same metal as the necklace and again featured a perfect aquamarine at its' centre. Jack held Sam's gaze and the others all held their breath. "So Sam" he asked quietly "Will you marry me?"

Sam was barely aware of the muted gasps of her friends. She stared into Jack's dark brown eyes as if mesmerised. For a moment, which to Jack seemed like hours, silence filled the room. A single tear trickled slowly down Sam's cheek and Jack looked on in consternation, but then she smiled, and it was as if the sun had suddenly reappeared from behind a cloud. "Yes" she said simply "Oh, yes."
Jack finally allowed himself to breathe as he took the ring and slipped it on her finger. Gently he brushed away the tear and gathered her into his arms. Their friends looked on, smiles wreathing their faces. Cassie did a little jig of excitement. When the happy couple finally broke apart there were hugs and kisses all round. Sam looked totally overwhelmed and Jack's face was split by an ear-to-ear grin. He disappeared into the kitchen to collect the champagne and soon they were all drinking a toast. "Well Jack" said Janet "I'm certainly impressed with your organisation" "It's all that Black Ops training" he replied, "It does come in handy sometimes." His eyes sought out Sam, who was being interrogated by Cassie, and he smiled. "You really love her," stated Janet.
"Oh yeah, more than life itself, but I never dreamed I'd ever find myself in this position and we still have some major obstacles to overcome." Janet squeezed his hand, "That's true, but you're both strong. I'm sure you'll prevail, but you'll have to break the news to General Hammond." Jack sighed, "Yeah, tomorrow, I guess, but let's not think about that now - I think I need to go over and kiss my future wife." Janet chuckled and much to Jack's surprise reached up and kissed him briefly full on the mouth. "You're a good man Jack O'Neill, take good care of my friend or I'll be sorting out some big needles with your name on them!" They both laughed.

The party broke up soon after, but not before Janet had dragged Sam off to ask a few burning questions. "So, how long has this been going on? And right under my nose" "That's the amazing thing Jan, it's why I'm having difficulty believing it myself - nothing's been going on. I went round to the Colonel's" she giggled "I mean Jack's house, today. Admittedly to try and, well, find out one way or another, you know, if there really was something there." She smiled, flushing pink at the memory. "Guess there was" she finished quietly as if she still didn't quite believe it. "Sam, come on there must be more" Janet pleaded. "Oh, no that's all you're getting out of me, and don't you dare ask Jack." chuckled Sam. Fortunately she was saved further questioning by the arrival of the man himself. "Sam, ready to go?"
"Yes" She turned to her friend, "Thanks for a great dinner Jan. It's certainly going to be a Christmas I won't forget." "My pleasure, now you two go off and have a little...fun." "Janet!" Sam blushed furiously causing Jack to laugh out loud. He gave Janet a hug and kiss. "Don't worry," he whispered, "I'll take good care of her." Janet was touched. "I know you will. Hey will we see you tomorrow?" "You betchya, come about 1800. I've got loads of food and drink but you might want to bring a few movies or CDs. George'll be there too." "Huh! Better not go calling the General 'George' if you want him to look favourably on what happened here tonight" "Oh you know ol' George and me" Jack grinned "I'm sure he won't take it personally that two of his most senior officers have just set themselves up for court-martial." "Jack, please" begged Sam "Don't even joke about it." Jack looked contrite and, placing a reassuring arm about her, searched her face. "Don't worry Sam, we'll work this out, I promise. I can't explain it but I have a good feeling about this."

When they arrived back at Jack's house, Sam was suddenly overcome with shyness. She kept telling herself that that this was what she'd had in mind when she'd had the idea to visit Jack in the first place. Now though, she was feeling not a little embarrassed and anxious. She paused by her car that was parked in Jack's drive, maybe she should go home. She was afraid that she had forced Jack's hand, and this probably wasn't what he really wanted. Looking back on her actions her resolve began to falter. She couldn't believe that she'd acted so boldly.

Jack watched the conflicting emotions flicker over Sam's face. He realised that she often had no idea how much her expression gave away her inner feelings. He was pretty sure, for example, that Hammond was perfectly aware of her feelings for her CO. It was only because he trusted her implicitly that nothing had been said on the matter. Now Jack could see Sam's indecision written all over her face. He walked around the car to where she stood and, taking her hands, clasped them to his chest. "Sam it's going to be ok, trust me, I love you." She smiled and visibly relaxed; her trust in him had always been absolute, even in the most difficult of circumstances, a fact that he found profoundly moving. "Come on," he said, and led her into the house.

Sam was the first to wake, late the following morning. She opened her eyes slowly, at first not knowing quite where she was. Then the weight of an arm wrapped around her waist and the feel of someone's soft breath upon her neck brought all the events of the previous night flooding back. She smiled to herself and gently turned in Jack's embrace so as not to wake him. She wanted the opportunity to watch him whilst he slept. Not that she hadn't done the same thing many times before, it was her favourite way of passing the time when on watch. This, however, was different, very different. She'd often wondered, during all those long night watches, what Jack would be like as a lover; well know she knew. She'd always expected that he'd be passionate and gentle, but there had been more. He'd been - well, courteous was the word that sprang to mind. She'd never before had sex with a guy who went out of his way to make sure that she was completely fulfilled, putting her needs and desires before his own. Although Sam had desperately wanted Jack to make love to her, she'd been celibate for so long that knew that the first time wasn't going to be that great, especially for her. But Jack gently coaxed and teased and with infinite patience brought her to such a level of desire that even the first time had been a beautiful experience. And after that, Sam grinned to herself; things had only got better.

She sighed at the memory and suddenly found a pair of dark chocolate eyes fixed on hers. "Hey" she whispered "I'm sorry if I woke you." "Oh I'm not awake,"Jack said lazily " this must be a dream, so I'm still asleep." She chuckled and kissed him, immediately feeling her desire for him rising. "Mm Carter, what's this?" he teased.
"This Sir?" she said archly as she caressed his body "Well you know I have always been at my best in the morning." He smiled, pulling her into a passionate embrace. "Yeah, I'm pretty much a morning kinda guy too." This was the last coherent thing either of them said for quite a while.

They finally dragged themselves out of bed when Sam announced that she was ravenous. By the time they'd showered together, which meant it took a very long time, and dressed, it was the middle of the afternoon. "Hey I'd better think about getting ready for our guests" Jack said, heading for the kitchen. "Can I help?"
"Well maybe if you'd tidy a little that'd be good. Oh and you'd better mop up the bathroom." Sam chuckled and went off to complete her chores. She soon had the place ship-shape and was lured back to the kitchen by the delicious smells. "Mm Jack, that smells good, what are you cooking?" "Spicy chicken legs - my mom's secret recipe" he grinned at her "Ya see I have a lot of hidden talents." "And I shall look forward to finding them all out" Sam replied with a twinkle in her eyes "but now I'm going to head on home and change if that's ok with you, I'm feeling a little overdressed." "Sure honey, go right ahead, but don't be long, I'm missing you already." She leaned across and kissed him on the cheek "I'll be back before you know it, I promise." She collected her car keys and was gone, leaving Jack to ponder the events of the previous day and night.

Jack knew he was in love with Sam Carter, he'd admitted it to himself a long time ago, but he was surprised at how completely she'd given of herself; the experience had humbled and a little overwhelmed him. That she seemed to love him as much as he did her was, he found, quite astonishing. She was beautiful, sexy, and incredibly smart and had such a great personality. In fact he was hard put to think of anyone who, having met her, didn't take her instantly to his or her hearts. She had this amazing ability to make everyone who she dealt with feel special and he was aware that she could have had her pick of the guys in the SGC; but she chose him, an ageing, and grizzle-haired, hard-bitten sarcastic soldier. He shook his head in disbelief. Not many people got a second chance at love and, after Sarah; Jack had honestly thought that he'd be spending the rest of his life alone. He knew, in his heart, that he still loved Sarah and believed that she still loved him, but they weren't in love anymore, at least not with each other, they'd both moved on. In fact the last time they had spoken it had been clear that Sarah had someone special in her life; Jack was happy for her and told her so. He could look forward now, next time they met, to telling her about Sam.

There was just the obstacle of telling Hammond to get over, oh and Jacob of course. Jack was pretty sure that Sam's dad liked him, albeit a little grudgingly, but how he'd react to the news that he was sleeping with his little girl was another thing entirely. 'Oh well' thought Jack 'we're not likely to run into Jake any time soon, I'll think of something by then, find a way to break it to him gently.'

Jack looked at his watch, it was getting late and he'd better stop daydreaming and get on with things or his guests would arrive to find nothing ready.

Sam returned in about an hour. She was casually dressed now, in tight black jeans and the fluffy lilac sweater that had been a present from Janet. The house was filled with mouth-watering smells and the table laden with food and drink. After kissing her thoroughly and telling her how much he'd missed her Jack went off to change, leaving Sam to put on some music. So it was that he didn't hear the knock on the door that announced the arrival of General Hammond. "General, Hi, Merry Christmas, please come in." Sam said, giving him a kiss on the cheek. "Major Carter" he replied, looking a little surprised, but whether at Sam's greeting or her presence in O'Neill's house, she wasn't sure. "Er, is Colonel O'Neill about?" Sam felt her cheeks flush a little and hoped that the general didn't notice her confusion. "I think he's..." She was interrupted by a shout from the bedroom. "Sam honey, where did you put my shoes?" Sam froze, keeping her gaze averted from the General and praying that maybe he hadn't heard the endearment that now seemed to slip so easily from Jack's tongue. "Sam, you there?" came the cry again, this time followed by Jack himself as he padded barefoot into the lounge. He stopped dead at the sight of his Commanding Officer, standing in the middle of the room, wearing a very shocked expression. "Oh, er...General Hammond Sir, I didn't hear you arrive." "No Colonel, that's patently obvious if I may say so" Jack and Sam exchanged agonised glances, as they were sure that the General was about to ask for an explanation for their behaviour. Strangely, however, he did nothing of the sort. He shrugged his shoulders and instead said, "Well Colonel aren't you even going to offer me a drink?" "Of course, sorry, what was I thinking"? "Though perhaps" Hammond added with a sly grin "you'd better go and finish dressing." Jack nodded. "Of course, Sa... Er, Major, perhaps you'd look after the General while I go and find my shoes." "Yes Sir, of course" she said aloud, then whispered an aside to Jack "They're under the bed." Jack hurriedly left the room before Hammond could say anything. "So Sir, what'll you have?"
"Actually Major, before you do that I have something for you." "For me?" Sam asked, astonished.
"Mm, it's in my car. I actually stopped by your home earlier to drop it off, but as you weren't there..." He left the sentence hanging and Sam open-mouthed as he went back outside.

Jack returned at that moment. "Where's he gone?" he asked. Sam turned to him, her back to the door. "Back to his car, apparently he has a gift for me. Jack this is so hard, I'm really not looking forward to telling him" "Telling whom, what?" came a wholly unexpected voice from behind her. Sam whirled around coming face-to-face with her father. Her face lit up with a huge smile. "Dad?"
He nodded and held out his arms into which she flew, hugging and kissing him. "Hey, Sammie, glad to see you're pleased to see your old man." Hammond and Jack looked on with equally fond, indulgent expressions. "So, let me look at you" Jacob stood back holding Sam's hands as he took in her heightened colour and the extra sparkle in her eyes. Then he lifted her left hand, turning it over and examining it carefully. The ring Jack had given her glinted and sparkled and it's position, on her third finger quite obviously pointed to it being of more significance than a piece of costume jewellery. He looked his daughter in the eye, his countenance giving nothing away. "Nice," he said, "where d'you get it?" "Oh er...P..." she faltered
"P6Y 429" piped up Jack.
"But Major, correct me if I'm wrong," interrupted Hammond "weren't you confined to the infirmary when SG-1 visited that particular planet?" Sam opened and closed her mouth, making no sound. Jack came to her rescue. "Yes Sir, that's true. But actually I bought the ring, not Sam." Jack felt both pairs of Generals eyes turn to him. "So, Colonel, you gave my daughter a ring?" Not a smile flickered across Jacob's face. "Yes Sir. Well it's kinda tradition."
"Tradition?" asked Hammond.
"Yeah, you know - you ask a girl to marry you, she says yes, you give her a ring - tradition." Sam looked at her father, entreaty in her eyes. "Dad?" she whispered. "When?" asked Hammond.
"What?" Jack said, looking confused.
"He means when did you ask my daughter to marry you. It's important, Jack." urged Jacob. "Last night actually. Why?" Jack looked at Sam but she shrugged, patently not understanding what was going on any more than he did. Both of the Generals, however immediately relaxed and grinned at them. "Thank goodness" Said Hammond with a chuckle "That was a close one, eh Jake?" "Sure was old friend."
"Look would somebody mind telling us what's going on?" Jack asked. He pointedly placed an arm around Sam and pulled her close. Jacob chuckled again "Don't worry Jack no-one's going to take her away from you, least of all George and me." He reached out and grasped their hands "Congratulations, we couldn't be more pleased for you."

Seeing their still anxious faces Hammond began to explain. "You see Jack, Sam - Jacob and I have been aware for some time that there was, er, let's say a 'situation' brewing between you two. In fact we've been expecting this for almost a year now and, I'll have you know, we have both been working tirelessly on your behalf to persuade people in very high places to agree to a certain, shall we say, flexibility in the rules." "And?" asked Jack, feeling a little shell-shocked. "Well we finally got the OK, the day before yesterday, for you two to have a relationship and still remain on SG-1. The proviso being that you had to get married." "Just call it our Christmas gift to you both," added Jacob. "Oh thank you, thank you," whispered Sam, quite overcome. She hugged her father and the General, kissing him on the cheek. "Major that's twice you've kissed me in the last hour. You'd better watch it you know, a man could get used to these things." "Hey" Jack warned, jokingly "No-one gets to kiss my girl but me!" "Hm, who says?" asked Jacob.
"Oh and you too Dad, of course" Grinned jack.

"You know, George" Jacob said with a sigh to his friend "I think having Jack as a son-in-law is going to be, well, an interesting experience." Hammond chuckled, patting his friend on the back as Jack took Sam in his arms and kissed her. "Yeah, very interesting!"

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to squacco