Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

They've got History

by Ruth
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
They've got History

They've got History

by Ruth

Summary: Jonas is curious, and seeks out Teal'c for answers.
Category: Drama, Humor
Season: Season 6
Pairing: Jack/Sam
Rating: PG-13
Warnings: adult themes, language
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 07/20/03

Title: They've got History

Rating: PG-13

Spoilers: (Jonas' inclusion in SG-1, so end of series 5) 102 The Enemy Within, 103 Emancipation, 104 The Broca Divide, 117 Solitudes, 202 In the Line of Duty, 306 Point of View, 317 A Hundred Days, 403 Upgrades, 421 Entity, 603 Descent, 615 Paradise Lost, 616 Metamorphosis

Disclaimer: All publicly recognisable characters and places are the property of MGM, World Gekko Corp and Double Secret productions. This piece of fan fiction was created for entertainment not monetary purposes and no infringement on copyrights or trademarks was intended. Previously unrecognised characters and places, and this story, are copyrighted to the author. Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.

Summary: Jonas is a little curious, and seeks out Teal'c to provide him with answers...

~ They've got History ~

By Ruth

Copyright (c) Ruth, 2003

Jonas was walking past Sam Carter's lab when he heard laughing. He peeped in through the door and saw Colonel O'Neill and Major Carter deep in conversation.

He finished speaking, and she laughed. Her eyes glittered as she looked at him and he was grinning as he looked at her. The two of them were so involved in gazing at each other that they never even noticed that Jonas was there. He studied their behaviour for a few minutes longer and then made his way to Teal'c's quarters, seeking answers...

Teal'c was awakened from his Kelno'reem by the door to his quarters squeaking open and the thin figure of Jonas Quinn entering. He glared at the younger man.

"Uh...sorry Teal'c. Was I interrupting anything?"

"Indeed you were, Jonas Quinn," said Teal'c, then feeling slightly guilty as the man cast his eyes downward.

"It is of no importance," he added, "What did you wish to speak to me about?"

"Well," said Jonas, "This might seem like a daft question but....are Major Carter and Colonel O'Neill.....well.....you know?"

"Indeed I do not, Jonas Quinn. Please elaborate."

"Well, they always act differently when they're around each other, especially when they're on their own. Is there something going on between the two of them?"

Teal'c thought of the many different ways that O'Neill would harm Jonas Quinn if he found out that the newest member of his team had been spying on him. Then, he turned his attention back to Jonas.

"Well, I believe that one particular Tau'ri phrase describes their relationship. I do not understand it myself."

"And...what is this...phrase?" asked Jonas.

"They've got history," said Teal'c simply. Jonas frowned.

"How d-"

"Listen, Jonas Quinn. On one occasion I asked Colonel O'Neill to explain this to me. He told me it means that two people have shared special or intimate moments and care deeply for each other. I believe this to be true for Major Carter and Colonel O'Neill. Well, excluding the intimate moments."

"What kind of special moments? Do you know of many?"

Teal'c's smile broadened. "Indeed I do, Jonas Quinn. I know of many, many moments. Perhaps you would like me to share some of them with you?"

"Sure!" said Jonas, stuffing his hands into his pockets.

"You may wish to sit down, Jonas Quinn. This is a story that will take some time to tell."

"Go on!" said Jonas, sitting down opposite Teal'c.

"Very well," said Teal'c, and the Sam and Jack story began.

"The first moment I can think of occurred on our first mission together as SG-1.

We arrived on a planet to find a young boy being chased by wild dogs. We scared the dogs away, but the young boy became very upset when he realised that Major Carter was a female and that she was travelling with us. Before we could leave, his father arrived with two other men and ordered that she be killed."

"Why?" asked Jonas in horror.

"They believed that women were not important enough to be allowed to speak to men. They were forced to live together in one group. The men only wanted them as means of trade. As I am sure you can imagine, Major Carter was disgusted by this and had to try and help."

"Yeah," said Jonas.

"One of the conditions the natives gave to us was that Major Carter was to be properly dressed." Teal'c grinned at the memory. "I remember it well, Jonas Quinn. When we were allowed to see her, Major Carter was most agitated. She was wearing a long blue dress that was actually extremely attractive on her.

However, Major Carter complained that it was itchy, she could not sit down and had to wear a piece of material over her mouth. I tried to be most gentlemanly, but Colonel O'Neill and Daniel Jackson did not. The two of them teased her rather mercilessly about it until I made them leave."

"I can't imagine her in a dress," said Jonas with a smile.

"I believe it 'Blew Colonel O'Neill's Mind.' That is the Tau'ri expression Daniel Jackson used. You see, back in our first missions, Colonel O'Neill also disliked Major Carter greatly."

Jonas' eyes widened. "Really? I can't imagine that, either!"

"He disliked her because she was a scientist, a lot more intelligent than he was. She was also a bit of a 'Free Spirit.' She often disobeyed orders with him and got herself into trouble. After a while though, he began to like her."

"What's the next thing you can think of?"

Teal'c remembered the incident of the alien virus that had infected most of the SGC, including General Hammond, but thought in the interests of O'Neill and Major Carter's privacy that he should not repeat the incident to Jonas Quinn.

Especially not the 'Locker Room Incident.'

"Well, this next one is possibly the most important moment in the building of their trust. We went through the gate and found ourselves under enemy fire.

Colonel O'Neill ordered us to return through the gate immediately. Daniel Jackson dialled the Stargate and we all entered, Colonel O'Neill and Major Carter behind me. However, whilst we were travelling between Stargates there was a serious malfunction, caused by a power surge. Only Daniel Jackson and I returned through the Tau'ri Stargate."

"My God!" said Jonas, "What happened?"

"I remember it well. Several components around the Stargate exploded, rendering it completely un-useable for a minimum of 24 hours. Eventually it transpired that Major Carter and Colonel O'Neill had been sent to another gate on Earth - in Antarctica."

"The second gate!" Jonas nodded.

"According to Major Carter, O'Neill was badly wounded. She herself was not too adversely affected, but O'Neill had a broken leg."

"What happened?"

"Major Carter told me of how she tried to help him by putting a splint on his leg, but it hurt him terribly. He was most angry with her for quite some time. Whilst keeping watch on O'Neill, Major Carter also found the strength within her to dig out the DHD from very thick ice. She did all of this in temperatures below zero degrees celcius."

"Wow," said Jonas.

"It was a few hours later when she realised that O'Neill was more seriously wounded than he had told her. He had also broken a few of his ribs."

Jonas frowned. "Why wouldn't he tell her?"

"Major Carter said that she couldn't remember his exact words, but that he was sarcastic and disapproving of the splint she had made for his leg. The two of them had to spend the night close together to share their body heat. Meanwhile, Daniel Jackson and I were trying to bring them home, having no idea that they were actually on Earth."

"What did you do?"

"It was Dr Jackson who figured out that they were still on Earth. Once we knew where they were, we immediately went to look for them. When we arrived, they were not moving and feared that they were dead. However, Daniel Jackson was able to revive Major Carter just briefly to tell her that she was safe. They returned to the SGC within a few days."

"Wow," said Jonas, "Not much that could top that, huh?"

"Actually, you are mistaken. Just a month later, Major Carter's body was inhabited by a Goa'uld symbiote by the name of Jolinar."

"Jeez!"

"It transpired that Jolinar was of the Tok'ra, but Colonel O'Neill was deeply distressed to see Major Carter go through what his previous second-in-command had done."

"Who was his previous 2IC?"

"His name was Major Charles Kawalsky, but he died after being infested with a symbiote. Colonel O'Neill and I were forced to kill him. Major Carter almost lost her life to that symbiote."

"What happened?"

"An Ashrak managed to gain entrance to the SGC. His mission was to kill Jolinar - and he did, but almost killed Samantha as well. Fortunately, Dr Fraiser managed to revive her. The symbiote Jolinar gave her life so that Major Carter would survive. As a result of this, Major Carter shares all of the memories of Jolinar."

"Surely nothing could top that, Teal'c."

Teal'c allowed himself a smile. The story was far from over.

"On the contary, Jonas Quinn, there is much more to tell. A year later, we received two visitors to the SGC. Major Kawalsky and Doctor Carter. The..."

"Hold on, Teal'c. You just told me that Kawalsky was dead, and Sam is a major, not a doctor."

"If you would allow me to finish, Jonas Quinn..."

"Sorry. Carry on."

"They were from an alternate reality. It transpired that Doctor Carter was married to Colonel O'Neill in this reality."

"Whoa."

"That is what Colonel O'Neill said. Needless to say, it made him very uncomfortable when Doctor Carter thought that he was her husband. Major Carter also had to watch her kissing him before she left."

"Ouch. That must have been really confusing!"

"Not exactly. You see, whenever Major and Doctor Carter got too close to each other, Doctor Carter experienced severe symptoms..."

"Symptoms of what?"

"We were not exactly sure, Jonas Quinn. Major Carter had to stay out of the way for most of the time, so as not to hurt Doctor Carter."

Jonas's face fell a little.

"That's not fair. Why did she have to stay away? It was her reality, after all."

"If only life was that simple, Jonas Quinn. As I have told you before, the Tau'ri are extremely complex emotional beings."

"Can you think of anything else?"

Teal'c decided that it would also be better if he left out the entire incident with Edora and Laira. He didn't think it would have been fair to have Jonas asking them about a woman that had caused Sam massive amounts of grief, so he held back.

"A few months later, a Tok'ra named Anise brought some armbands to the SGC, wanting Colonel O'Neill, Major Carter and Doctor Jackson to trial them."

Teal'c saw how Jonas flinched at the mention of Daniel's name, and carried on, more carefully this time.

"The armbands enhanced their strength and mental abilities. I must admit, Jonas Quinn, that they were fairly amusing for a while. Doctor Jackson even managed to get involved in what the Tau'ri refer to as a 'bar brawl.'"

Jonas' eyes widened. "He didn't! How?"

"Major Carter was playing pool against a group of men, and because of her armband she obviously won. She asked them if they wanted to go 'double or nothing' but they declined. It was then that Doctor Jackson told him that it was a smart move. The man called Daniel a geek, which turned out to be his biggest mistake of the evening."

Teal'c grinned widely. "Major Carter, Doctor Jackson and Colonel O'Neill almost destroyed the bar. Needless to say, General Hammond was not amused."

Jonas laughed, his discomfort gone.

"On a more serious note, they then decided to take on a mission that they could not possibly have completed without the use of the armbands."

"That sounds a bit..."

"Stupid? Indeed, I did warn Colonel O'Neill of this, but he was most adamant. Once they had left, Anise informed us that the armbands would cease to work at any time."

"Where were they?"

"On one of Apophis' new ships. It was heavily guarded. They were not ten minutes into the mission when Doctor Jackson's armband stopped working and he was rendered unconscious. Major Carter and Colonel O'Neill told him to return to the Stargate whilst they went on without him."

"Did he?"

"No. Whilst Major Carter and Colonel O'Neill were blowing the ship, they had to run through a force field. Colonel O'Neill made it through, but Major Carter did not. She fell to the floor and her armband snapped off. Colonel O'Neill was on his own. He should have run back to the gate, but then his armband came off as well and he lost consciousness."

"How did they get out?"

Major Carter and Colonel O'Neill awoke. They soon realised that a group of Jaffa were approaching Major Carter's side of the force field. Needless to say, Colonel O'Neill should have run for the gate."

"But he didn't, did he? He wouldn't leave her behind."

"Colonel O'Neill said that she begged him to leave her. He refused, and tried to release her. The jaffa were getting closer, but fortunately the force field was disabled and they managed to escape. That was when I turned up."

"And...?"

"And I saved them. We all went back through the Stargate to have a cup of tea."

"Wow!" Jonas smiled brightly, not noticing Teal'c's comment at the end.

Teal'c bit his lip to contain his laughter. He decided to skip the Zatarc testing saga, because he didn't want Colonel O'Neill doing horrible things to him if he found out that he'd been supplying Jonas with information.

"Come on," said Jonas, "What's next?"

"There was one instance where Colonel O'Neill was forced to kill Major Carter."

"Kill? Wha - Teal'c, how...but, Major Carter is still alive? What? H..."

"Allow me to finish, Jonas Quinn. Major Carter's body was taken over by a computer entity, and he was forced to kill her to remove the entity from her body. It turns out that Major Carter's consciousness was transferred into the computer by the entity, so he hadn't killed her at all."

"Fascinating."

"I am not sure that that is the word Major Carter would use, Jonas Quinn."

"Is there anything else?"

"No. You have been present for the others. For example, when they were stuck in the flooded corridor, when Colonel O'Neill was stranded with Colonel Maybourne..."

"And when we were tortured by Nirrti?"

"Indeed."

Jonas blew out a long breath. "Wow. Thanks, Teal'c. Now I think I understand."

"It was a pleasure, Jonas Quinn. I do believe it would be in your best interests not to mention any of this to either Colonel O'Neill or Major Carter, however."

"Why?"

"Would you like them to know everything about you?"

"If that's what it took to get them to like me, yeah."

Teal'c sighed. "Jonas Quinn, they do not hate you. They are still mourning the loss of Doctor Jackson, and they find reassurance and pleasure in each other's company. Believe me, there has been many a time when I have been alone here with Doctor Jackson whilst Major Carter and Colonel O'Neill have been together."

"Really?"

"Well, not many, but a few. It will merely take time, Jonas Quinn. Colonel O'Neill will learn to trust you, but he is stubborn. That is why he is such a good warrior. Major Carter is the same, only she already likes you. She told me herself. It will take us all time to adjust to you. You must just be patient."

"Thanks, Teal'c. I feel better now."

"I am pleased that I could be of service, Jonas Quinn."

The next morning, Teal'c saw a very annoyed-looking Jack sitting at the briefing room table.

"Teal'c?"

"Yes O'Neill?"

"You haven't...uh...been telling Jonas about, well...ya know?"

"Indeed not, O'Neill."

"Me and Carter."

"I was not aware that there was a 'me and Carter.' Are my congratulations in order, O'Neill?"

"No, no! It's just...well...he was kinda asking a couple of awkward questions."

"I have told him nothing, O'Neill."

Jack gave him a hard look.

At that point, Sam entered the room, with Jonas bounding along beside her. "So...Major...what's it like to have been infested with a Goa'uld twice?"

Sam narrowed her eyes at Teal'c.

"I have said nothing, Major Carter. Doctor McKenzie has all of the mission reports - perhaps it was he that has filled Jonas Quinn in on these situations."

"That son of a ..." said Jack, rising from his chair.

"Excuse me," he said, "We'll be back in ten."

He and Sam left the room angrily, and Teal'c smiled.

"Teal'c?"

"Yes, Jonas Quinn?"

"Who's Doctor McKenzie?"

"He is what the Tau'ri call a bastard, Jonas Quinn. I hope that you never have the misfortune of being treated by him."

"Ah. Bastard..." Jonas filed this piece of information away in his memory and waited for Sam and Jack to return .

They did return a few minutes later and sat down. Jonas' curiosity got the better of him again.

"What was it like having all of those wonderful powers with the armbands?"

"Why don't you tell me? How did we get back, Jonas, huh?"

"Teal'c saved you, and then you all went back through the Stargate for a cup of tea."

Sam's eyes narrowed at Teal'c. He was well and truly rumbled.

"Teal'c, could we have a word with you...outside?" Jack asked, cracking his knuckles in a threatening way.

"D'oh!" said Teal'c, making a mental note not to help Jonas Quinn again.

THE END

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Ruth