Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Memento - part 2

by Ruth
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Memento - part 2

Memento - part 2

by Ruth

Summary: Jack and Janet try to come to terms with Sam's return, and Teal'c and Sam talk about her memory loss.
Category: Action/Adventure, Angst, Future Story, Mystery
Season: future Season
Pairing: Jack/Janet
Rating: PG-13
Warnings: none
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 02/15/04

Title: Memento - part 2

Rating: R (Violence, Mild Language)

Spoilers: None

Summary: Jack and Janet try to come to terms with Sam's return, and Teal'c and Sam talk about her memory loss.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognisable characters and places are the property of MGM, World Gekko Corp and Double Secret productions. This piece of fan fiction was created for entertainment not monetary purposes and no infringement on copyrights or trademarks was intended. Previously unrecognised characters and places, and this story, are copyrighted to the author. Any similarity to real persons, living or dead is coincidental and not intended by the author.

Details: Angst, Jack/Janet, Hurt/Comfort, Sam/Teal'c friendship, Future Story

Archive: My site, Heliopolis, Gateworld, Fanfiction.net

~ Memento - part 2~

Copyright Ruth, 2003

**********

Janet sobbed quietly into Jack's shoulder, as he rubbed gentle circles on her back.

"Oh...Jack," she said, between sobs, "I thought...I thought she was dead...I've been telling myself that she's dead, but now, she-"

"I know," Jack said softly, his lips brushing the top of her head, "I know."

"Did you see her face?" Janet continued, "God, I've never..."

Jack hushed her gently, stroking a lock of hair out of her eye, "Don't worry about her now. You just need to get some sleep."

"But I can't!" Janet said, clutching the material of his shirt between her fingers, "I feel so...guilty..."

"Why?" Jack asked gently, though he already knew the answer.

"Because she loved you," Janet replied, "And now we're married - what's she supposed to think?"

The door clicked shut behind her, and Teal'c stood there with his arms folded.

"She currently has no memory of what happened to her," Teal'c said quietly, "So I would not concern yourself with that."

"Jeez, Teal'c!" Jack said angrily, "Why didn't ya knock?"

"Because I knew that you would not grant me permission to enter, O'Neill," Teal'c replied.

"What do you want?" Jack snapped irritably.

"I merely wanted to enquire why you did not greet Major Carter on her return."

Jack sighed. "Teal'c, you wouldn't understand."

The jaffa smarted a little at this comment. "General Hammond spoke of too much water under a bridge."

Jack frowned. "Yeah, something like that. Look, could you please leave?"

"As you wish," Teal'c said, bowing his head, "But though my knowledge of Tau'ri emotions is greatly lacking, your behaviour in this matter is beyond my comprehension."

With that, he left and closed the door behind him. He returned to his own quarters and sat down quietly for a moment. Whilst he did not understand the behaviour of O'Neill and Dr Fraiser, he also did not understand General Hammond's reasons for opening the iris. How could he have 'just known?' It was not as if General Hammond was a jaffa fortune-teller or future-seer, far from it, but something must have affected the man's mind to make him react so strongly. Whilst pondering this, Teal'c entered a state of Kelno'reem, and tried to put the world to rights.

**********

The next morning, Sam awoke in the infirmary, none the wiser to her situation. Her head still ached, and she was constantly aware that a lot of people were nervous around her. They flinched whenever she made a sudden movement, they constantly acted nervous around her, and yet she hadn't even moved from her bed. What was going on?

General Hammond entered and offered her a smile.

"Hello, Major. How are you this morning?" he asked.

"I...I don't remember much. It's all gone," she said softly. "I know something's happened, though, but nobody will tell me."

She looked up at her commander, but he said nothing. She hadn't expected him to.

"Major, I'd like to see you in my office when you've got up," he said, "Just to get a few things straightened out."

"So...when will you be sending me to the shrink?" Sam asked.

"Major, I made no mention of..." Hammond began, but she cut him off.

"You didn't need to. Mala fide - in bad faith. I wasn't expecting a warm welcome, sir, but what I've got has been practically frigid."

Hammond sighed. "Major, a lot has happened in the years that you've been away. I think you'll take it better from your friends."

"That's just my problem, General," she said, "I don't appear to have any left."

**********

Jack was surprised when he received the summons to General Hammond's office. He'd not done anything particularly wrong or mouthy, he'd finished all of his reports (Janet kept him well up to date) and there wasn't even a base crisis.

He knocked on the door, and Hammond called for him to enter.

"Sit down, son," he said, gesturing to the empty chair.

"General?" Jack asked, "I'm assuming that this is something serious that you want to talk to me about."

"Yes. I've called Dr Jackson, he's on his way back here. Jack, what concerns me is that you've made no effort to even say hello to Major Carter."

"Sir, it's difficult - she has no idea about what's gone on..."

"Exactly," Hammond said gently. "Jack, she's been through a hell of a time these past eight years, and only she knows it. We have to help her to remember."

"Yes, sir, but if you remember, she put us through a hell of a time before she left, didn't she?"

Hammond sighed. "She doesn't remember it, son."

"Doesn't remember? Or doesn't want to remember?" Jack snapped. "Listen, General, "

"Jack, don't make me order you to talk to one of your own teammates."

"She's not one of my teammates!" Jack shouted, "She stopped being one of my teammates the day she disappeared, the day we thought she was dead!"

"Colonel!" Hammond shouted back, "No matter how long we spent thinking that she was dead, she's not. She is very much alive, and she's sitting in that infirmary right now feeling very confused!"

"She's not the only one," Jack said, getting up out of his chair and leaving the room.

Hammond sighed sadly, sinking back down into his chair. True, a lot of things had happened since 2002, but there was absolutely no need for him to be treating her like a leper.

What was worrying him even more than this was her memory loss - she had absolutely no memory of the past eight years, which was going to be very problematic for her.

**********

Teal'c walked into the infirmary and gave Sam his biggest smile. In his hand he held a small bunch of flowers, which Sam was sure that she'd seen on display in the conference room. She grinned.

"Hey, Teal'c."

"Major Carter," he said, "It is good to see you well. I will soon accompany you to General Hammond's office."

She smiled weakly. "I can remember where that is."

Teal'c sat down beside her on the bed. "Hopefully, you will soon remember much about these past eight years."

Sam shook her head. "I don't know, Teal'c. I mean, maybe it's better if I don't."

He was quiet, then. After a few moments, he gently put his arm around her shoulders.

"No matter how the other people on this base react," he said, "You must remember that I will always be your friend."

Sam looked at him. "Teal'c, what have I done? Why won't anyone tell me?"

Teal'c looked at her sadly. "Come with me - I will explain."

**********

"Since you have been gone, many things have changed," Teal'c began. "A year after you disappeared, Daniel Jackson left the SGC to go back to a career in archaeology. He is, however, on his way back here as we speak."

He pushed the door to his room open and ushered Sam inside.

"Have a seat," he said. She sat down, still eyeing him warily.

"When you had been gone for five years, Colonel O'Neill and Doctor Fraiser were betrothed," Teal'c said bluntly.

Sam sat quietly for a moment. "They're married? Why is everyone getting so upset about that?"

"Doctor Fraiser is also with child," Teal'c explained. Sam swallowed, felt tears burning at the back of her eyes.

"I understand that this must be hard for you to come to terms with," Teal'c began, "But..."

Sam shook her head. "They're my friends. They can do whatever they want," she smiled, "It's nothing to do with me."

"They have been anxious about greeting you for this reason," Teal'c said, "It is not because they fear you."

She shook her head again, more seriously this time. "Veritas nunquam perit, Teal'c. The truth never dies. I know they're avoiding me because I've done something wrong, I just don't know what."

Teal'c nodded. "When did you come to have such an understanding of the Latin language?"

Sam blinked. "I spoke Latin?"

Teal'c frowned. "Indeed you did, Major Carter. You said Veritas nunquam perit - the truth never dies."

"Wow," she said, rubbing the back of her head, "I wonder when I learnt that..."

**********

Jack said goodbye to Janet and left the infirmary, making his way to Sam's lab. He hovered nervously outside of her door for a few moments, before knocking. There was no answer. Thankfully, he left the vicinity of her room and went in the opposite direction.

Back at the infirmary, Janet was sat down, thinking. She really should have spoken to Sam by now, but couldn't face it. She couldn't shake the feeling that she'd betrayed her friend - even though poor Sam still didn't know what had been going on for the past eight years.

She closed her eyes, and leant back in her chair. In effect, she'd stolen her best friend's man. Ok, so they weren't married, they weren't even dating, but Janet knew deep in her heart that Sam had always harboured a deep affection for her commanding officer, one that was too deep considering their ranks. For years she had carried that burden around with her, hoping that one day the two of them would be able to be together.

But no, fate stepped in and pulled the rug from under her feet. Janet and Jack were now married, with their first child on the way. So much had changed in just eight years.

She decided that talking to her friend would be the best option, she at least deserved a welcome back. Janet was just worried that Sam would reject her offer of friendship - though she would be well within her rights.

She got up out of the chair slowly and made her way out of the infirmary, heading for Sam's lab.

**********

To Be Continued...

**********

Next time: Janet and Sam talk about the time Sam has missed - and Dr McKenzie gets involved.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Ruth