Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

In Two Months 2: Kids Will Be Kids

by Kitty S
[Reviews - 1]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
In Two Months II- Kid's Will Be Kid's

In Two Months II- Kid's Will Be Kid's

by Kitty S

TITLE: In Two Months II- Kid's Will Be Kid's
AUTHOR: Kitty S
EMAIL: KittyStrawBerries@Hotmail.com
CATEGORY: Challenge (#1,164)
PAIRING: Sam/Jack
SPOILERS: Crystal Skull
SEASON / SEQUEL: any
RATING: PG
CONTENT WARNINGS: none
SUMMARY: Jack continues to take care of little Sam.
STATUS: Complete
ARCHIVE: Heliopolis
DISCLAIMER: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. We have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the authors. Not to be archived without permission of the authors.
AUTHOR'S NOTES: The two poems in this story "Jimmy Jet and his TV set", and "Hug O' War" was written by Shel Silverstein and was used without permission.

Park

"Okay sweets, you go play in the playground and I'm going to sit over there, you see the bench?" he pointed his fingers to the benches. "If you need anything, you know where I'll be." She nodded and ran to the direction of the slides.

Jack walked to the benches where all the parents were gathered and pulled out a newspaper. After a while at a time he would look up to see that Sam was where she is supposed to be.

"Hi, is this seat taken?" She pointed to the spot by him.

"No, no. Have a seat." Before she sat down she told her little boy about 4 or 5 years of age to be good and that she was watching him. And rolled the stroller closer to her.

"Thanks. I'm Jenna." She gave out her hand.

"Jack. Nice to meet you."

"He's beautiful." He pointed to the sleeping newborn baby.

"Thank you. 12 hours of labor, still love him though." She laughed.

"Is yours around here?"

He liked the sound of saying, 'Yeah, she the cutie over there.' But she wasn't his, he wanted to tell Sam over and over again how much he loved her, but he couldn't. Now she doesn't even have the memory of him. Only as a dad. He started to feel what Cassie was feeling. He wanted Sam, and wanted to have his own bundle of happiness with her.

"Yeah, Samantha. She's over there by the swings."

"She's gorgeous."

'Yeah, you think that now, wait till you see her when she grows up!' "Thanks."

Jenna was breast feeding her son, so Jack went back to his newspaper, giving her some privacy.

"Hey! Get off the swings!" The boy yelled at Sam.

"No! I'm playing. You wait your turn." She ignored him and went on with her self.

"I said get off dumb baby!"

"Am not a baby! I'm three years old!"

"And I'm older, bigger, and stronger. Now get off!" without warning he pushed her off the swing while she was in mid air. She fell; the sand softened her fall but not against her arm when she fell onto it. Her own weight crushing her arm.

"AHHHHHH!" It hurt. And she couldn't help the scream and the tears from dropping to her cheeks.

Jack's head snapped up. He heard the scream. He looked over to the slides then to the swings. Then he saw her. He got up so fast he was there at her side before the newspaper that he dropped even got to the floor. He didn't even see her but behind him Jenna followed.

"Sam! What's wrong? What happened?"

"He pushed me!" She sniffled. "Daddy, my arm hurts..." No matter what, the tears kept on running.

"Michael! What do you think you were doing?" Jenna yelled at her son. Her screams also made the newborn that was in her arms wail.

"Nothing. I was just on the swings." He flashed an innocent yet evil look.

She didn't even consider his explanation. "Were going home right now!" She grabbed his arm. "I'm so, so sorry." She shook Michael's arm. "Say sorry to Samantha right now Michael. Then were going to see dad and tell him what you've done."

Jack was pissed. He wanted to whack him a bit on his behind. But that wasn't his job. After Michael said his sad, forced out sorry, Jenna apologized once again and gave her number and address to Jack for the hospital bill. He declined, mumbled something about a doctor friend and insurance then waved her off.

Jack picked Sam up carefully not to touch her now swollen arm and went on a drive to the mountain.

SGC

"How you doing kid?" He glanced over to the back seat where she was secured into the toddler car seat.

"It hurts. Daddy, it wasn't my fault. He pushedme."

"I know cookie, I know." He drove into the parking lot. "Now lets go see that arm."

He gently took her out, showed his ID to the Airman and got on to the elevator to the infirmary.

"Jack? What are you doing here?" Janet asked, walking over to his direction.

"We had a little accident." He looked into Sam's pained eyes.

"Okay, that's okay, we'll fix that right up. C'mom." He sat her down on the bed and told her to be brave and walked to Janet to talk about the damages.

"I don't know for sure but it doesn't looks broken. What happened anyway?" She looked concerned.

"Some kid pushed her off the swings."

"I see. I'm going to take some X-rays and we'll know for sure."

"Okay, I'll go see Hammond, haven't seen him in a while, I'll drop in and say hi."

"Sure, come back in about a half an hour."

"Yeah, all right." He went to Sam and told her that he will be right back and that she's in good hands.

He knocked on Hammond's door. "Enter"

"Hi George, long time no see." He sat down heavily on the seat.

"Jack, what are you doing here? Was Doctor Fraiser wrong on the time estimate?"

"No, no. Nothing like that. We were at the park and some kid pushed Sam off the swings. She fell on her arm. I brought her to Doc to see to it. Its not like I can take her to any doctor in any hospital."

"I understand. How she doing? How are you doing?"

"Good, she's a good kid. Although she never cleans her room and lives for the Rugrats and chocolate."

He laughed. "I'm sure the arm will be fine."

"Yup. Kid's will be kid's." He looked at his watch. "So where did you stash Daniel and Teal'c?"

"They're off world."

"Humph! I better get going. Hey what do you say to a barbecue at my house on Sat?"

"What's the occasion?"

"Umm, Just for fun and food."

"Sure, I think that I can come by. But Kayla and Tessa are coming over. Mind if I bring them along?"

"Sure, more kids the better. Cassie will be happy. And tell them to bring their bathing suits."

"Great. Bring anything?"

"Nah, unless you want to bring Sam some chocolate, I think I got everything." He got up to leave. Knowing that he would bring candy for Sam he said as an after thought "Don't bring too much, she can't sleep."

"Right. We'll be around by 7."

"Great. Nice seeing you again."

"Stay out of trouble. The both of you."

"Yes, Sir."

He walked by the infirmary door and overheard giggling.

"Talking about me eh?" Jack went to Sam's side. "So what's the verdict?"

"Not as bad as you think. It's just a sprain. It's going to hurt for a while and she's going to have to avoid using the arm." She finished putting on a bandage on her arm.

"We can do that. Hey, my house, BBQ, Saturday, 7 p.m., bring Cassie and let's eat! How 'bout it?"

"Sure, I'll see you then."

"And can you relay the message to Daniel and Teal'c? They're off world and I don't know when they will be back or the when I will get to talk to them. Daniel spends enough time in here anyway."

"Yes, that he does. Sure I'll tell him."

"Okay kiddo, let's get going." He helped her down the big bed and led her out holding her uninjured arm.

"Does it still hurt?"

"Little bit."

"Want comfort food?"

"What's that?"

Jack held something behind his back. "Guess."

She giggled and ran behind him and yanked the chocolate bar.

"Hey! I said guess." He had a hurt face.

She put on her most innocent face. "Chocolate?"

"Too late now, you saw."

Jack's House

"Now, I can't go swimming." She looked down at her arm.

"There's other things you can do other than swimming."

"Like what?"

"Umm, well you I can always take you to the park."

"We always go there. I don't like going there anymore."

"Why?"

"It got boring." He was a lost for words. He hoped that little Sam wouldn't be afraid of doing things she likes because of a bully.

He changed the subject. "What do you want for dinner? Pick something easy. Daddy can't make things."

"Let's have spaghetti."

"Yeah, that I can do." He saw it on TV.

"Wanna help me?"

"Yeah!"

"Okay, but I'm warning you, things might get a bit messy."

After about an hour in the kitchen the two of them came out all red from the tomato sauce. They had some what of a food fight.

"That was good right?"

"Yeah, it was fun eating dinner without a plate."

"Yeah, and messy."

"Want to help me clean the mess too?"

"No, do I have to?"

"No, I guess you don't. C'mom, lets get you cleaned up and get ready for bed. You look so silly." He got out a camera and snapped a bunch of pictures of Sam covered in red sauce and noodle strings dangling on the top of her head. 'Oh she is going to be as red as the sauce when she sees this.'

Jack filled the tub with water. "Jump in."

She did. Splashing bubbled water all over the place. Mostly Jack. 'I gotta stop saying that.'

"You stay and clean here and I'm going to go and clean the mess in the kitchen. I'll be right back. If you need me yell okay?"

"Okay."

Jack went down stairs to the kitchen and looked at the mess in absolute terror. It was going to take a long time. He grabbed a bucket and a sponge and started to wipe the tomato sauce off.

He was thinking about family. Being with little Sam has made him realize that he missed being with children. He missed Sam even more. He was thinking of Sam and her personality and things that made him love her. He never would have thought that he would miss her technobabble talk but he did.

Cocoa the puppy rudely interrupted he's thoughts of her. "Shit!" Cocoa was running all around the kitchen and slipped on the soap and got her golden fur red.

"Cocoa! Come here! Sit!" She did as she was told. He then picked her up and took her upstairs where Sam was taking a bath and put her into the tub.

"Daddy what are you doing?"

"Daddy was cleaning and guess who wanted help."

"Oh" She giggled.

"No giggling. Let's clean the both of you up. It's getting way too late." He took her out of the tub and got her into a robe. The two of them washed the dog and dried her fur with a hair dryer.

"Now the two of you stay in bed and go to sleep. I have to finish cleaning up." He tucked in the both of them.

"Night."

"Good night." He turned off the light and left a crack in the door so that he would hear her if she needed anything.

Jack walked back to the kitchen and started to clean the rest of the mess. He washed and scrubbed the floor and walls and opened the refrigerator to grab a beer. While taking a swing he walked over by the couch and played chess by himself. Suddenly he heard Sam yell for him. "Daddy!" He rushed upstairs to her room, turned on the light and asked what was wrong.

"I'm not sleepy yet. Let's watch TV." She sat up from her bed.

"It's late, you need to go back to sleep." He pushed her down to the bed.

"Just for a little bit?" She flashed him the puppy dog eyes. The one that he could never resist. Even when she was an adult.

"Too much TV is bad for a little girl like you."

"Says who!"

"Haven't you heard of 'Jimmy Jet'?"

"No, who's that?"

"Jimmy Jet loved to watch TV just like you! And guess what happened to him."

"What?"

He climbed into bed with her and started to recite the poem that he had memorized for his son.

"I'll tell you the story of Jimmy Jet-

And you know what I tell you is true.

He loved to watch his TV set

Almost as much as you.

He watched all day, he watched all night

Till he grew pale and lean,

From 'The Early Show' to the 'The Late Late Show'

And all the shows between.

He watched till his eyes were frozen wide,

And his bottom grew into his chair.

And his chin turned into a turning dial,

And antennae grew out of his hair.

And his brains turned into TV tubes,

And his face to a TV screen.

And two knobs saying 'VERT.' and 'HORTZ.'

Grew where his ears had been.

And he grew a plug that looked like a tail

So we plugged in little Jim.

And now instead of him watching TV

We all sit around and watched him."

He looked over at Sam, "See, never watch too much TV."

"That was funny. Do you know any more?"

"Last one, and then you'll go to sleep?"

"Yes."

"Okay then. This is my favorite."

"I will not play at tug o' war.

I'd rather play at hug o' war,

Where everyone hugs

Instead of tugs,

Where everyone giggles

And rolls on the rug,

Where everyone kisses,

And everyone grins,

And everyone cuddles,

And everyone wins."

When he was finished he reached over and tickled Sam until she cried 'uncle'. "Okay, now you have to sleep now. I don't want to see you up and out of this room unless the sun is shining again."

"Okay."

He kissed her forehead. "Sweet dreams princess."

SGC

"Hey Daniel, Teal'c, how was the mission?" Janet asked while the sg team was getting their post mission physical.

"Boring. Nothing but sand and sun." Daniel retorted.

"Sit" Janet said pointing to the beds.

"Oh, Jack and Sam came by this afternoon."

"Really? What did they want?" Daniel asked after wincing at the needle penetrating his buttocks.

"Some boy pushed Sam in the park and she sprained her arm. Jack wanted me to check her out."

"Is Major Carter all right?" Teal'c asked.

"Yes, she is. By the way, the Colonel has invited the two of you to his house on Saturday for a BBQ. He says come by around 7."

"Sure we'll be there."

"Well, you guys are fine. Get out of here."

"Bye."

Janet's House

"Cassie! Are you ready to go over to Uncle Jack's house?" Janet yelled from her bathroom getting ready herself.

"Not yet! I have to get dressed."

"All right."

"Mom!"

"Yes?"

"Do you think I can bring a friend?"

Janet walked into her room. "Why?"

"So I can have company."

"You know everyone there. Why would you need company?"

"So that when you adults go on talking about grown up things, I will have someone to talk to."

"Sam will be there."

"But she's only 3 and it's hard to play with someone who is younger."

"No, I don't think you should bring someone but I think that I remember the General saying something about bringing Kayla and Tessa over. You can talk to them. They're your age."

"Sure, okay."

"Don't forget to bring your bathing suit."

"Oh yeah, check."

Jack's House

Everything was set. He had the grill ready, the food set up, a camera near by, two rolls of film, he parked in the garage so that there will be more room for the guests, junk food out for the kids, warmed up the pool so that the kids can go in at night. Yup, that was it.

"Sam? Are you ready?"

"Yeah."

He went into her room and saw her in a blue shirt and overalls. Her hair was knotted and her shoes were untied. "Hey, need help with that?"

"Yeah. It's hard."

"That's okay, I'll teach you."

"Can we do it later? I want to go play."

"You have to learn someday."

"Okay, not today."

"Fine, gimmie your feet." He tied her shoelaces and put her hair in pigtails. He was getting better and better at that. They were no longer crooked.

"All done." As soon as he said that the doorbell rang and Sam ran for the door, while yelling 'Who is it'

He caught up with her. "Sam, what did I say about the door?"

"Don't open it unless you're with me."

"Good."

"Now can I?"

"Yes." With that she opened the door and Daniel and Teal'c was there.

"Hi guys! Come on in."

"Hi. Sam" Daniel said.

"Hello Samantha Carter, how are you this evening."

Sam giggled. She thought that Teal'c was pretending to be serious all the time as a joke. "Good. You're funny."

Teal'c cocked his head and raised an eyebrow. Which drew more giggling from Sam.

Jack led them outside where all the food was. "Dig in. I'm going to go and bring out the beers." He went inside just in time the bell rang and the General and his two granddaughters arrived.

"George, and this must be Kayla and Tessa."

They both said 'Hi'

"We have chips in the yard." They both looked at their grandfather for permission and when he nodded they ran the yard.

"Glad you can make it."

"Where is Sam, I brought her something."

"She's out side with Daniel and Teal'c."

They both went inside and just when Jack was about to close the door Cassie yelled 'wait!'

"Hey, I thought when you were going to get here." He gave Cassie a big hug and a kiss.

"Hi Janet."

"Hi."

Jack grabbed the beer for everyone and they all said their hellos in the yard. Jack was grilling the meat and taking orders of how they wanted their meat, the others were just talking, and Janet was playing photographer. She got a nice picture of Jack in the big fluffy chief's hat. Cassie and Tessa got along well and Kayla was petting Cocoa by Sam.

"Okay! Dinner's ready!" Jack yelled and everyone went to the table and ate there while having a nice conversation. The kid's had their own table but Sam wanted to sit with her dad so she was seated next to Jack. The table was too high for her so she sat on his lap.

After taking two or three bites Sam declared she was full. "Sam, you have to eat more then that if your going to go swimming later." Jack said.

"How's her arm?" Janet asked.

"It's all better now."

"But I'm not hungry."

"Just eat a few more bites. And then you can have the chocolate bar that Uncle George got you."

She groaned. "Okay. Fine." She took two more bites and gave the rest of her dinner to Cocoa.

"You can go and play while daddy eats." With that he helped her down and she went off to the yard with her dog.

"So..." Daniel started.

"That wasn't mean." Jack defended himself.

"That's not what I was going to say."

"You don't think that was mean right? I mean she has to eat, I'd understand if she ate a lot and had a bit left over, but she only took a few bites."

"No, what you did was right." Everyone at the table agreed.

When they were done eating Jack got up with the plates. "Here, let me help you." Janet offered.

"Thanks."

"No problem. Dinner was great."

"Thank you."

Later that day Cassie, Kayla, and Tessa were already dressed and into the pool. Jack, Janet, Daniel, Teal'c and Hammond was watching the play. Jack looked around for Sam. She was on the other side of the yard chewing on the chocolate bar and petting her dog. Jack walked up to her and sat by her on the grass.

"Why aren't you swimming? You couldn't wait till your arm was better to do that."

"I don't want to."

"Why?"

"I just don't."

"Okay, you're asking for it." Jack got up and pulled Sam over to the top of his head. Sam squealed and made all the heads turn. They watched in awe as Jack ran with Sam over his head to the pool and jumped in. Sam was giggling. She sat on Jack's shoulders while he swam to the shore where Sam can swim by her self.

"See, it's fun." Jack said. Janet had taken enough pictures to make a scrapbook of them.

After about an hour of watching the kid's swim, Hammond thought that it was time that he takes his grandchildren home. And Janet agreed. Jack waved them off and went back inside where Daniel and Teal'c was watching Sam swim.

"We should get going also." Daniel said. "C'mom Teal'c."

"Have fun at the base. I'll call you later."

"Yeah, take care of Sam."

"Bye."

He lifted Sam out of the pool and dried her off. "Did you have fun today."

"Yeah."

"Are you tired? Do you want to go to bed? Or do you have time to have some chips with daddy?"

Her eyes lit up. "Really?"

"Yeah, really."

"That'll be fun!"

Jack grabbed the chips and went to the couch and sat with Sam in his arms. He pulled a blanket on top of them and ate the cookies while Jack was reading Sam the book, "The Giving Tree." They both fell asleep in each other's arms.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Kitty S