Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Fight The Break of Dawn

by Little Heaven
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Fight the Break of Dawn

Fight the Break of Dawn

by Little Heaven

Fight the Break of Dawn
AUTHOR: Little Heaven
EMAIL: cielita2689@aol.com
CATEGORY: Romance, Humor
PAIRING: other pairing
SPOILERS:
SEASON / SEQUEL: 5
SERIES:
RATING: PG-13
CONTENT WARNINGS: adult themes
SUMMARY: Elevators, cheezy music, and a General and Chancellor.
STATUS: Complete
ARCHIVE: Heliopolis
DISCLAIMER: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. We have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the authors. Not to be archived without permission of the authors.
AUTHOR'S NOTES: Please R & R and e-mail me!  I love feedback!  Thanks to everyone who has read my work so far with the "Waiting for the Day" Series!  Love ya!
April 19, 2002

This story is a variation on a concept I have seen by many authors in fan fiction. I felt like doing a piece with General Hammond as a character that was more than a General. Forgive the sappiness but I think it worked rather well and there’s a kicker at the end! R and R and let me know!

My e-mail is Cielita2689@aol.com



0900 hrs

SGC

Cheyenne Mountain Complex

"With any luck, General, the repairs should be done this evening."

"Make it so, airman," replied General Hammond.

"Yes, sir."

2300 hours

SGC

Cheyenne Mountain Complex

"Thank you for coming on such short notice, Chancellor. I know this must have been an inconvenience for you," said General Hammond.

"It’s really no trouble, General, we were all too happy to help." Chancellor Travell replied, her voice diminishing to a drowsy purr. It was indeed late; as a matter of fact it was nearly midnight and it was the wee small hours of the morning on Tollana. The SGC had called the Tollan with a perfectly reasonable request that required an immediate pow-wow of the two universal super-powers. After the meeting, the Tollan diplomats that had accompanied th chancellor wanted a tour of the SGC, so General Hammond took the Chancellor and told the others to meetthem in the gate room.

The two called the elevator and pushed the appropriate button to take them to the Gate Room. The customarily cheesy elevator music played nearly inaudibly in the background and the two largely ignored it until Hammond’s ears picked up a familiar tune:

" Uptown Girl,

She’s been livin’ in her

Uptown world…"

Hammond grinned as he glanced at his guest. He wondered idly if she was, well, seeing anyone…that is, if that’s what the Tollan called it. As he thought this, Travell noticed that he had been throwing furtive glances at her. Flattered at the attention, she smiled as well, carefully guarding her blushing cheeks from his eyes.

Look at us, thought Hammond, we’re acting like two teenagers left alone for the first time. Just as the two had simultaneously decided to look at one another when there was a terrifying screech and sparks flew from the control panel as the two were thrown from one wall to the other before the elevator car came to a halt. The two sat down on the floor of the car, stunned by the sudden change of events.

"Chancellor?" Hammond asked, resting a hand on her arm.

"I am unharmed, General. What happened?" she replied.

"There must have been some faulty wiring. This elevator was just repaired today. I guarantee you that the airman who was supposed to repair it will have some serious explaining to do," Hammond said. The two remained on the floor, desperately searching for the right words to suit the situation. There was just nothing diplomatic to say when an elevator malfunctions.

2400 Hours

Gate room, SGC

Cheyenne Mountain Complex

"Anyone seen the General and the Chancellor?" Asked Colonel Jack O’Neill.

"Last anyone saw them, sir, they were in the elevator headed down to the Gate room to meet us," answered Major Sam Carter.

"Let’s get a crew down to that elevator to see what’s going on. Wasn’t that elevator down for repairs today?" Jack asked as he and Carter accompanied the crew down. If that elevator was malfunctioning again, there was going to be Hell to pay.

2445 hours

Elevator of the SGC

"Have you ever wanted something so much it made you cry?

Have you ever needed something so bad you can’t sleep at night?

Have you ever tried to find the words but they don’t come out right?

Have you ever? Have you ever?"

Yet another song that Hammond recognized. He had never really liked that "teeny-bopper music" as Colonel O’Neill called it, but this one was strangely appropriate. He continued to listen as the two waited for the skeleton crew that remained on base at night to realize that the elevator had stopped or someone down in the gate room to realize that they had not yet arrived. It could be hours until then. Hammond leaned back against the wall and listened to the song, which continued to play despite the lack of power to the rest of the elevator. It must be on a different circuit than the rest of the system.

"Have you ever been in love, been in love so bad

You’d do anything to make them understand?

Have you ever had someone steal your heart away?

You’d give anything to make them feel the same.

Have you ever searched for words to get you in their heart?

But you don’t know what to say and you don’t know where to start?"

"Have you ever been in love, Chancellor?" Hammond asked, forgetting the precarious situation that he was in. Travell was caught off guard by the question, but simply answered, "Yes."

"I am very much in love with a man from another world. He is a marvelous man. Strong, charismatic, intelligent…but he is more than that. I could see in his eyes that there was more to this man than what his people see. Kindness, sensitivity, capacity for love like I have never seen in a man; his blue eyes washed away every last bit of resolve just by my standing in the same room," she recalled, "What about you? Why do you ask this?"

"Have you ever found the one you’ve dreamed of all your life?

You’d do just about anything to look into their eyes.

Have you ever found the one you’ve given your heart to?

Only to find that one won’t give their heart to you.

Have you ever closed your eyes and dreamed that they were there?

And all you can do it wait for the day when they will care?"

"I was in love once, too. Twice really. The first, my wife, died years ago. The same year my sister died in a terrible vehicle accident. It was awful. I lost two of the most important women in my life that year. The second one I met not too long ago. Beautiful. My God, she’s beautiful, but I don’t think she knows exactly how much I care," Hammond replied. Travell nodded. She looked up at Hammond with tears glistening in her azure blue eyes.

"She sounds like a lucky girl." Travell murmured. To think, all this time he had another. She didn’t even know that he was thinking the same thing about her.

"She’s not a girl. She’s a woman from the word go. She’s strong, intelligent, and wise beyond anything I’ve ever seen a woman do, and she’s the most enchanting creature I’ve had the privilege of sharing an elevator with." Suddenly, Travell’s eyes leapt up to meet his. "But like I said, I don’t know if she will ever know the depth of what I feel for her." Their faces were only inches apart now.

"Well," Travell replied, "I think she knows." Suddenly, her heart was pounding.

Hammond swallowed hard before replying, "What makes you say that?" His voice was shaky now, as if the reality of the moment were beginning to dawn on him. Travell’s hand lightly grazed his cheek.

"I was yours from the start," she whispered, her tears dropping from her pomegranate cheeks to the miles of fabric involved in her heavily trimmed gown. Hammond took a slow, deep breath before gingerly pulling her face to his and kissing her. The emergency lights that lit the elevator were just enough for the two to see as the General scooted closer to the woman he loved. They kissed again, this time much deeper. His hands wound around her waist as she rested her arms around his shoulders. The two had been in the elevator undisturbed for two hours. Simultaneously, the two rose to their knees to enable them to get closer together, if that were possible to do.

Remembering herself suddenly, Travell gently pulled away. She knelt there, before him, catching her breath and soothingly stroking his face. Hammond’s eyes searched hers. He realized what a position they were putting each other in. They would lose impartiality in combat situations, but for some reason it didn’t matter. Now he knew what it must have been like for Colonel O’Neill to realize that he and Major Carter cared for one another so deeply but could never actually have that relationship because of military regulations. As a General, his actions needed to be above reproach. Was he jeopardizing the alliance between Earth and Tollana?

She saw this in his cyan eyes and returned a look of tenacity. They simply couldn’t let this come between them. It dawned on them that this could be the one and only time that they were not under the scrutiny of guards and military installations. Hammond gingerly reached for her and loosened the clasps that held her heavy cloak to her bare shoulders. She shuddered as it fell, but relaxed into his arms again as he lowered her to the floor of the elevator.

"Do you realize where we are, General?" She asked, mildly amused.

"I hadn't noticed at all," General Hammond replied with a grin, "and don’t you think that we’ve outgrown the formality?"

She smiled at this and his lungs threatened to collapse from lack of oxygen. Simply put, she took his breath away.

"Very well, George," She replied, "This song, it’s lovely, isn’t it?" George stopped to listen for a moment and smiled broadly.

"It is, indeed."

"From this moment, as long as I live

I will love you, I promise you this:

There is nothing, I wouldn’t give

From this moment on!

You’re the reason I believe in love

And you’re the answer to my prayers from up above

All we need is just the two of us

My dreams came true

Because of you!

From this moment, as long as I live

I will love you, I promise you this:

There is nothing, I wouldn’t give

From this moment

I will love you as long as I live

From this moment on."

Hours went by and the two couldn’t seem to resist giving in to temptation time and again. What they really enjoyed, though, were the gaps of time in between. The times when they would simply lay there and listen to the other breathe. The time spent watching one another, touching one another, and listening to the cheesy elevator music continue to play. When the communications were finally restored to the elevator the two had counted nearly six hours in the elevator. By the time the elevator doors swished open, the two had dressed, exchanged a goodbye kiss, and took one last note of the elevator music:

"Save tonight

And fight the break of dawn

Come tomorrow

Tomorrow I’ll be gone.

Save tonight

And fight the break of dawn

Come tomorrow

Tomorrow I’ll be gone."

The two fought to keep from breaking into hysterics as they stepped out from their 7x7 prison. It had been a very long night!

After the Tollan Chancellor and her guards had returned through the Stargate, George returned to his office to collect his jacket and shut off the lights on his way out. He found a large manila envelope on his desk with his name on it.

"General, you may want to watch this in private. I thought it should be in your possession. Signed, Jack O’Neill"

The General turned the enclosed videotape over in his hands and sudden horror sent shockwaves rippling through his body: the surveillance camera in the elevator! He nearly had to sit down. He read through the letter again and this time, read the post-script at the bottom:

"PS: The two technicians that were on duty last night ‘didn’t see anything’. I have their careers in the military in my hot little hand if they did."

Hammond breathed a little easier but went home still a bit uncertain. After all, if Jack knew then SG-1 knows, and if Sam Carter knows then Janet Fraiser will know before 0900 tomorrow and if she knows about it………

THE END



If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Little Heaven