Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Blond Hair, Brown Eyes

by Obsessed
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Blond Hair, Brown Eyes

Blond Hair, Brown Eyes

by Obsessed

TITLE: Blond Hair, Brown Eyes

AUTHOR: obsessed

EMAIL: o_neill_obsessed@yahoo.co.uk

CATEGORY: Romance, Future Story, s/j and d/j

SPOILERS: The First Commandment, 1969

SEASON / SEQUEL: Season 2

RATING: PG-13

CONTENT WARNINGS: m/f relationships, thin plot

SUMMARY: Challenge response, a woman comes from the future to give SG-1 a warning.

STATUS: Done
ARCHIVE: This one

DISCLAIMER: I DON'T OWN THESE PEOPLE. I just really, really love them and am borrowing them. And I'm obviously makin' no money offa this cause I'm still dead poor. Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. We have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the authors. Not to be archived without permission of the authors.

AUTHOR'S NOTES: This is a response to a challenge, except I don't know which one because I can't find it. If this looks really familiar to you, or you know which challenge it was please tell me. Please....And feedback. I know the plot is amazingly thin and it's just an excuse to get Kate into the SGC, but hey. And there will be a sequel eventually, but I already failed one exam writing this story (dammit). Please I need to know what challenge this is for, for my own sanity. Also if anyone knows where "I'll see you on the flip side" comes from, please tell me. I'll be dammed if I can remember.

"Incoming Traveller" Jack hated those words, especially when they interrupted his daydreaming of Sam and when he knew no one was due back.

"Who is it?" he asked before Hammond had a chance to open his mouth as he came into the room.

"It's, it's SG-1 sir"

"SG-1!?"

"Er, hello" Jack said waving at the Sgt.

"Open the iris"

"Yes Sir" Both Jack and Hammond went down into the gate room and waited. Suddenly, as if, from no where a young woman came flying through the Stargate and hit the ramp hard. Jack ran up to her and felt her pulse. He turned her onto her back and gasped.

"Whoa....." the woman was very, very familiar. She had blond hair, short blond hair, and Sam's sweet nose and, well nearly Sam's face with some subtle differences. Familiar subtle differences. "Medic" he called but they were already on their way. The woman was put onto a stretcher and carried away, leaving Jack stood gob-smacked with Hammond.

"Sir, did that, did that woman look like Carter to you?"

"A hell of a lot son"

"Not just me then" he said to himself.

In the infirmary Janet's nurses tended to the woman, while Janet herself talked to Jack, Hammond and the now present Sam.

"She just knocked herself out. She hit the ramp pretty hard" she told them. "She'll be okay, maybe a concussion"

"Assuming she's human" Jack said

"Oh, she's human"

"Is she a Goa'uld?"

"No. Just human. In fact her DNA is similar to two sets of DNA already on file here" she didn't want to say who's, she could tell Jack already knew one of them.

"Two?" he said. "I mean I see the Carter"

"Me?" she hadn't really looked at her yet and went over to have a look. She stared at shook at her, seeing a lot of herself. Suddenly the woman came to and looked straight up at Sam. They locked eyes for a moment. "Oh my.....Colonel" she whispered. The woman sat up and smiled nervously at them. Jack moved forward and saw what Sam had seen. Brown eyes. His brown eyes. Sam stared at Jack, both realising what it meant, who this young was. Then Sam turned away blushing ever so slightly. The woman smiled, almost laughed. Jack and Sam were speechless but Hammond didn't catch on.

"How are you feeling miss?" he asked

"My head is thumping but not too bad sir" she said.

"Who are you and how did you get SG-1 remote iris code?"

"I was given the code by my, er, parents."

"And your parents are?" she nearly laughed at the question.

"Jack and Sam O'Neill sir" she said. Hammond looked at and it clicked, Jack and Sam, his Jack and Sam. And they were still speechless.

"What's your name?"

"Kathryn. Kate" she added.

"Huh?" Jack managed to say. Kate smiled.

"You're from the future." Sam said. "When?"

"2029"

"And you're, you're our, our daughter" Jack said pointing at Sam and himself over and over.

"Yeah"

"You're my daughter" he said. He found he was smiling, unable to stop himself. Sam saw this and smiled too but began to blush and hid her face. Kate grinned.

"What are you doing here?" Hammond asked.

"My sister sent me"

"Sister?"

"Oops" she shrugged. "Older sister, Jodie" Jack smiled.

"Why?"

"I'm here to warn you about a Goa'uld attack fleet"

"What?!!!" Jack was brought out of his daydream of a perfect life in the future with Sam.

"Sorry"

"Don't apologise" he told her. He moved to stand beside the bed and a look at her. She smiled shyly and moved to sit on the edge of the bed.

"You can't see them cause you're not looking" she explained. "I have the co-ordinates here" she handed Jack a piece of paper, with his name on his own handwriting. "And I have this for you mu..." she stopped herself from saying mum and gave Sam a disk. Sam smiled at her, at her daughter. "I don't know..."

"WHAT!!!!!" Jack cried suddenly cutting her off. He as reading the piece of paper.

"Sir?"

"Is this true?" he asked Kate.

"What?"

"Jack, the Goa'uld attack fleet, blah, blah, blah. And to soften the blow in the future and to give me, you, us, whatever, time to deal with it I'm going to tell you this now. Katie just got engaged. To Maybourne's son" he read.

"What!" Sam cried

"Erm, yeah I am"

"You're marrying that pilocks son!"

"Yeah. But Declan's a really nice guy. When you meet him dad you love him I swear" then she realised what she'd called him and saw the look on his face. He smiled.

"But Maybourne's son"

"Sorry"

"Well, congratulations I guess" he said.

"Can I see the ring?" Sam asked.

"Is this the really the time?" Hammond said. "I think we should get looking for this fleet and see what's on this disk"

"Yes sir"

"Do I have to stay here?" Kate asked. She looked at her parents, who were looking at each other.

"You're well enough to leave the infirmary"

"Thanks Aunty Janet" she said. Janet smiled.

"You better, er, go with your, er, dad for now" Sam said with some difficulty.

"Okay"

"I'll see you later" She smiled and left the room to look at the disk. Kate jumped off the bed and smiled at Jack.

"Maybourne's son" Jack said as they followed Hammond.

"He takes after his mother"

"Oh, well that's a start" she smiled.

"I have so much I want to ask you"

"Well I'm not going to tell you anything. I wasn't even meant to tell you about Jodie"

"Why not?"

"Because mum told me not to. She gave me a list of stuff I can and can't tell you" she pulled a piece of paper out of her pocket. "Let's see, the general's wig, Teal'c and the circus freak show, Daniel and Janet, Daniel's nudity on p4c.....she trailed off realising what she was reading. "Oops wrong list" Jack stared at her and made a grab for the list. She dodged out of the way and stuck her tongue out at him. "I'll eat it if necessary"

"Fine"

Hammond went into his office and Jack and Kate stood outside while he called NASA to chase up the Goa'uld fleet.

"What's going on?" Daniel asked. Kate smiled at him.

"Uncle Daniel" he said. She wanted to hug him, but resisted. It had been a while since she'd seen him in her time zone.

"Huh? Do I know you?"

"You will"

"You look really familiar" he said looking at her.

"Look closer Danny" Jack said

"You look like Sam"

"She's my mum"

"And I'm her dad" Jack said grinning. "This is Katie"

"Kate" she said.

"What?"

"She's come to save the world"

"Huh?" she explained to him what was going on. "The future? When?"

"2029"

"Cool" Hammond came out of his office.

"The fleet are on their way here" he said.

"And we have no way of stopping them" Daniel said.

"No, that disk is how to stop um" Kate said.

They went down to the lab to find Sam and the disk. Jack looked back at Kate every so often who was deep in conversation with Daniel about the dangers of changing the timeline.

"The fleet is out there" Hammond said.

"And it's pretty big"

"Well, we won't have anything to worry about if we can do this" Sam said.

"Well what is?" Kate asked. moving to take a look.

"It's a shield"

"A shield?"

"Yeah, a Goa'uld shield, like with the orange sky on the cave dwellers planet. But instead of a sunshield it's a defensive shield but using the same" she said the blank looks and stopped.

"What do you need Captain?"

"A lot of people" she said.

"Whatever you need I will get it for you. I want a debriefing in an hour and a plan of action" he said.

"Yes sir"

"And one more thing. How are we supposed to get you home?"

"Oh" she thought. "Oh!!" she pulled *another* piece of paper out of her pocket. "Solar flares" she grinned.

"I'd better get down to work" Sam said, once Hammond had left the office. She didn't really want to do any work though, she wanted to talk to the daughter she'd suddenly received. And, as hard as it was going to be, she wanted to talk to Jack. But she knew she had to save the world. She smiled at her and Kate felt like a kid.

"Do you mind if I stay? Maybe I can help"

"Not at all" Sam beamed and Jack grabbed Daniel, taking his cue to leave.

"I'll see you later"

"Hey" Daniel complained as he was dragged up the corridor. "Aw, Jack I wanted to talk to your kid"

"And so do I" he said. "But let's let her mother have a turn"

"And what are you going to do about her mother?" Jack grinned

"I don't know. I'm a bit, er, I don't know what to think"

"You have a kid. Two kids"

"Yeah"

"And Kate's pretty"

"Yeah"

"And Sam's your wife in the future"

"Yeah" he could hardly contain himself. He was grinning, making Daniel smile. "And she's marrying Maybourne's son"

"What?!"

"Yeah"

"Maybourne's son?"

"Apparently he's a nice kid"

"Takes after his mother I hope"

"So I've been told" there was a moments silence between them.

"Maybourne's son" Daniel said

"I know"

Kate watched her mother go through the files on the computer quietly, like she was seven again, watching her mother work hard in the study at their home. Like she did occasionally in Kate's past, Sam glanced back and forth at her from time to time.

"What?"

"Nothing"

"What are you thinking about?"

"A lot"

"Like?"

"Like when I have you. Do I have any other children? When do I marry the Colonel?"

"The Colonel?"

"Oh don't start"

"What?"

"You were about to say why don't you call him Jack"

"No I wasn't"

"Yes you were"

"Was not"

"Was too"

"Not"

"Too"

"Not"
"Too"

"Not"

"Too"

"Hey, you know, we argue like this in the future" Kate said.

"Can I ask you something?"

"You can ask but you, yourself gave me a list of things not to tell you. Okay, granted I almost read it all out to dad but...."

"What happened? Between the Colonel and I?"

"Oh, I don't know. I asked you but you said I'd have to wait 'til I was older to find out. I'm still waiting" she shrugged.

"I really gave you a list"

"Yeah, I want to tell you everything but you said you wanted to be surprised. Dad wanted to know everything but"

"I wouldn't let you tell him"

"Not a thing" she smiled.

"We should really be at the briefing"

"Oh yeah"

Kate sat between her parents at the table. She sat and listened as Sam discussed the plan to build the two devices, the Sam of the future having already worked out where to put them. One at the North Pole and the other at the south.

"I have a question. Well I have two" Daniel said. "Can we build these devices before the fleet get here?"

"If we start now, yes" Sam said.

"Okay, good. Why Kate?"

"Excuse me?"

"Why were you sent with this information if this is Sam's work. Why not Sam herself? Or your sister who herself sent you here?"

"What do you mean sent you here?" Jack asked.

"I'm not allowed to say"

"What?"

"I'm not allowed to say. And to tell the truth I'm not completely sure. Mum just said it had to be me, Jodie couldn't come and dad agreed and of course Declan had to argue about it and then,.....this is irrelevant." Jack smiled. "It's just how it is"

"Let's get to work" Hammond said.

Sam had Teal'c overseeing some of the work as he knew how to work the shield generators. She was in charge of the work, she had a whole team of people running around for her.

"What can you tell me? I mean what did I say you could tell?" Sam asked as she did some calculations. Kate sat with her, fiddling with her engagement ring.

"Kate? Katie are you okay?" Sam asked when she didn't answer.

"I'm fine"

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah. Just lost in thought"

"Want to talk about it?"

"I'm a little worried."

"About what?"
"Well you told, tell, me what happened to you, how you went to the past and then to future and Cass was there for you, to send you back. I'm just worried that no one will be there to send me back because I don't know my future"

"And now I know mine"

"Exactly, you know that you live long enough to see me get engaged"

"To Maybourne's son" Sam reminded her.

"I know. I didn't do it on purpose you know" Sam smiled.

"It'll be okay Katie. I know it will"

"Okay" she smiled. "I'm going to see Aunty Janet. She and Daniel wanted me to tell them something"

"Daniel *and* Janet?" Sam asked.

"Ooooooh *that's* how you find out" she smiled to herself.

"About Daniel and Janet?"

"Think about it mum"

"Oh, no way"

"Yeah. They have kids and everything. But I didn't tell you that because you'll kill me" Sam laughed.

"I won't say a word"

"Thanks. I'll be back" she disappeared. Sam turned her attention back to the building.

"How's it going Teal'c?"

"It goes well Captain Carter" he said. "I believe we will finish before schedule"

"Excellent"

"May I ask a question?"

"Of course"

"In the future, will you allow your daughter to tell me part of my future with me wife and son." he said. She smiled.

"Do you really want to know?"

"I would use the information wisely"

"Then I will. If you go ask her I'm sure she'll be more than willing to tell you anything you want to know"

"Thankyou"

Kate knocked on the door of the infirmary, where Janet and Daniel were gossiping. She smiled but waited until her aunt and uncle told her to come in. Janet motioned for her to do so.

"Hi" she said.

"Kate" Janet said.

"I just came by to, er, say hi and to tell you something"

"Tell me something?"

"The both of you" she sat down and smiled at them. "You told me to tell you Aunty Janet so don't kill me"

"Okay"

"You are not late."

"What?"

"Your exact words. You said you'd understand"

"That's confusing" Daniel said.

"And you said. Cassie knows, she's not daft you might as well come out into the open. And I know as well as you two do what you were on about" she grinned at their shocked faces.

"You know" Daniel said.
"Yes, I know but I was sworn to secrecy. I've not said a word to anyone" then she stopped. "Except mum" she smiled.

"Sam knows"

"Not exactly. She knows you get together eventually but she doesn't know you're together now, or that you have been"

"What did she mean by you're not late?" Daniel asked.

"I don't know and I didn't ask." that was a lie, she'd guesses, but Janet had told her not to say anything.

Hammond stood with Jack looking at the almost finished devices Sam and Teal'c were working on.

"Are these them?" he asked.

"Yes sir"

"How long do we have left?" Jack's smile disappeared for the first time that day as he looked at his daughter.

"Not long"

"Not long?"

"Let's just say we don't need deep space telemetry anymore"

"They're speeding up" Hammond put in.

"I'll get back to work"

Sam was zipping up her thermal jacket, walking quickly up the corridor when Jack ran up to her and stepped into pace with her.

"Why do you have to go?" he asked

"Because I know how to work it and fix it if something goes wrong" she said not stopping.

"But it's the Antarctic"

"I know"

"Then I'm coming with you"

"No"

"No?" he grabbed her arm and they stopped.

"You have to stay here and look after our daughter" she said, putting her hand on his. He smiled.

"Okay"

"Okay"

"Be careful."

"It'll be fine. It has to be" she smiled and he let go of her arm and after a moment she let go of his hand. He nodded.

"Go on. Go save the world."

"Yes sir" she grinned and ran off up the corridor.

Kate was sitting in Sam's office drinking coffee and fiddling with the pictures on her desk. Jack knocked on the door and went in.

"Has mum gone?"

"She's gone? Wouldn't me go with her" he smiled. "And I have to be up in the gate-room with the General" she stood up. "But...I don't want you up there"

"Aw dad"

"No Kathryn. I want you in here safe and not being scared by all this"

"I am not a kid"

"Worried then"

"Dad"

"No" he smiled. "I'm supposed to be looking after you so I brought your big cousin down here to see you"

"Cassie?" Cassandra appeared in the doorway and smiled shyly.

"Oh my....." Kate started.

"You know where I am if you need me" Jack said.

"Yeah"

"Cass?"

"Yeah uncle Jack" the girl said. He smiled and left them to it.

"Wow" Cassie said, sitting down. "This is so weird"

"This is weird for you?" Kate said. "I'm talking to a girl who's my big cousin, my godmother. You're like 15 years older than me"

"Really?"

"Yeah. You're a bridesmaid at the mum and dads wedding."

"Cool"

"I do have something big to tell you though. Aunty Janet, the future Aunty Janet that is told me to tell you this because you already know"

"What? About Daniel and mom, I know"

"No, well yeah but"

"The baby" Cassie said. She smiled. "I know"

"Good, good. How *do* you know?"

"Oh, I can tell, she's been acting really odd and I dunno. I can just tell. Is it a boy or girl?"

"Boy"

"Called what?"

"I'm not allowed to say"

"Ooooh"

"Sorry"

"Do you have any brothers or sisters?"

"I have an older sister. Jodie"

"Does she look like you?"

"Nah, she has brown hair and blue eyes. I'm the odd one out"

"Odd one out?"

"Ooops. Promise you won't tell"

"Cross my heart and hope to die"

"My brother has brown hair and blue eyes too" she smiled.

"Brother"

"Not a word"

"What's his name?"

"I'm not saying" she put her hand over her mouth.

"Is that an engagement ring?"

"Yeah"

"Who are you marrying?"

"Declan Maybourne"

"Maybourne! Are you crazy?"

"Oh don't start Cass, I've been through this three times already" she laughed.

In the blistering cold of the Antarctic, Sam had to yell orders to be even slightly audible. She pulled the collars up on her coat and fought against the blizzard to reach the device that was being set up. She held tightly onto it fearing she'd be blown away and waited.Come on Teal'c, she thought to herself. The crackle of the Lt's radio went unheard but not unseen. Sam saw the flashing light and signalled to the Lt to answer.

"That was Mr Teal'c. The first device is up and operational" he yelled, with a thumbs up to check she got the point.

"Well here goes nothing" she yelled back. She activated the second device and a blue line of light shot up from it and into the atmosphere. It then bent and joined the first and sprinkled out to form a blue shield over the Earth. The whole of the Earth. It was visible for a moment then disappeared, merging with the sky.

"Looks like the sky" the Lt yelled as they ran to the base to go home.

"Thank god for that!" she cried back.

In the SGC Jack waited impatiently for news from Sam and the shield, pacing around Hammond and getting on his nerves. But he tolerated it.

"The fleet is positioning themselves around the globe sir" the Sgt

"Come on Sam" Jack said quietly. Hammond heard and smiled.

"Sir's NASA say the shield is up and operational."

"Yes!"

"Where are Teal'c and Captain Carter?" Hammond asked.

"On their way back here now sir" a Lt said. Jack smiled, relieved.

"The fleet have begun to fire sir. Shield is holding"

"Do you think they'll just give up and go away?" Daniel asked, "Like when they hit the iris"

"I hope so son" Hammond said.

"They will. Eventually" Jack said.

"And if they come back, like they did with the iris. We'll still be protected"

Kate stood in the gate-room with her parents, her uncle Daniel and George Hammond.

"Do I have to go know? I don't like the idea of leaving while they're still up there" she said.

"And I don't like the idea of you being here while they're still up there" Jack told her. "Go home, to Maybourne"

"Declan" she said. "Don't worry dad, you'll love him"

"I believe you"

"Kathryn O'Neill" Teal'c said coming into the room.

"Yes Teal'c"

"May I ask you a question?"

"You and you're family are very happy in the future" Kate said, knowing the question. "Your home is beautiful, I've seen it and your son is strong" he smiled.

"Thankyou"

"Anytime" she smiled back. The dial-up sequence had started.

"It'll be fine Kate. Don't worry" Sam told her. She hugged her.

"It'll be fine" she repeated.

"See you soon" Jack kissed her on the forehead and sent her up the ramp.

"See you on the flip side" Kate said before walking through the Stargate and with a wave she was gone.

"I hope she's okay" Sam said.

"We'll know soon enough" Jack said smiling. He looked at her and sighed. "You wanna go talk"

"Yeah"

Jack's office was the first empty room they came to. He shut the door and they sat down on the sofa, facing forward. They sat silently for a little while, unsure what to say or how to start.

"A girl" Jack said eventually. "Two girls" Sam smiled at him.

"You looked so happy with her. You haven't stopped smiling all day"

"Two girls" he repeated. "It's not just that though"

"No?"

"No" he paused. "I mean, it's you and me and a family." he smiled. "It's you and me. It's what I've wanted for a long time and I know I get it. How could I not be happy over that?"

"Makes me happy too"

"Knowing we'll have all that?"

"Just knowing....." she trailed off, unsure she wanted to say the words.

"That I love you" she smiled

"Yeah" there was a silence. "You love me?"

"I love you"

"I love you too" they sat silently again, still facing forward. "Noticing how we're not really doing anything?"

"Hmmm"

"Still in shock"

"Yeah"

"Well it's a lot to take in"

"We declared our love and met our 25 year old daughter all in one day"

"And saved the world"

"And found out our daughter is marrying a Maybourne" he shook his head and Sam laughed. Then she moved closer to him and kissed him on the cheek. He turned then and kissed her on the lips.

"Marry me?" he asked.

"Now?"

"Well not right now" she smiled and kissed him.

"I'd love to"

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to o_neill_obsessed@yahoo.co.uk