Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Songbook Series 23: Hold Me in Your Arms

by Jez
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Songbook Series 23: Hold Me In Your Arms

Songbook Series 23: Hold Me In Your Arms

by Jez

TITLE: Songbook Series 23: Hold Me In Your Arms
AUTHOR: Jez
EMAIL: jez80@ozemail.com.au
CATEGORY: Romance, Series [Songbook Series]
PAIRING: Sam/Jack
SPOILERS: 'Singularity'
SEASON / SEQUEL: future
RATING: PG
CONTENT WARNINGS: none given
SUMMARY: Preparations are made for the arrival of baby O'Neill.
STATUS: Complete
ARCHIVE: Heliopolis
DISCLAIMER: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. We have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the authors. Not to be archived without permission of the authors. The song ‘Hold Me In Your Arms’ is performed by Southern Sons, no infringement intended.
AUTHOR'S NOTES: A huge thanks to my two beta gal's, Kes and Jenn! Thanks also to Sue for her medical input. All mistakes are mine.

Sam woke slowly, feeling warm and safe in the arms of her husband. He was spooned up behind her, his arms securely wrapped around her. She sighed, glad that he was willing to cuddle up to her now. The first night she had come home from the hospital, Jack had slept in the spare room, worried that he may do something to hurt her or the baby while he was sleeping.

The second night, Sam had insisted that he slept in their bed. He’d spent the whole night on his side of the bed, barely touching her. It hadn’t been until Sam had burst into tears and asked if he didn’t love her any more, that he’d realized what he was doing. Since that day, Jack had slept wrapped around her, as if he could protect both her and the baby with his presence.

It had been six weeks since Jack and Daniel had rushed her to the hospital. She’d spent the first two weeks in bed, only allowed up to go to the bathroom. After that she’d been allowed to get up, but she wasn’t allowed to walk around for long and still had to rest.

Jack had taken the first two weeks off to look after her, but he’d had to return to work after that, so Susan had flown in to take care of her daughter-in-law. Sam had been reluctant. She hated people fussing over her at the best of times and often became quite irritable. With her relationship with Susan finally developing, she’d been worried that she would ruin things by snapping at her mother-in-law.

Luckily, that hadn’t happened. In fact Sam had never felt closer to the woman. Susan allowed her to vent if she needed to and made sure she had everything she needed, when she needed it. She wasn’t sure what she was going to do when Susan went back home. She’d miss her greatly. She remembered the conversation they’d had a few days after Susan had arrived.

Sam had been lying on the sofa, watching a movie when Susan had brought her a cup of tea. Sam had immediately noticed her mother-in-law seemed nervous. “Is something wrong, Susan?” she’d asked, concerned.

“No, everything’s fine. I just... I wanted to ask you something. I don’t want you to feel you have to do it if you’re not comfortable or anything...” She’d taken a deep breath before getting to the point. “I was wondering how you’d feel about calling me mom.” Her eyes had widened as she saw tears spring in Sam’s eyes. “Oh, honey, I didn’t mean to upset you! Forget I said anything.”

Sam had shook her head and given her mother-in-law a tremulous smile. “I would like nothing more than to call you mom.” The two of them had both been teary eyed as they’d hugged.

She was pulled from her thoughts as she felt Jack’s arms tighten around her, his breathing telling her that he was awake. “Good morning,” she whispered, reluctant to break the early morning silence.

“Good morning, beautiful,” he returned, just as quiet. He looked at the bedside clock, seeing it was only early. “What are you doing awake at this hour?”

Sam moved his hands to where the baby was currently doing what felt like somersaults. Jack chuckled, stroking the area while he nuzzled her neck.

Sam moaned, instinctively pushing back against him.

Jack smiled. “Easy there, Mrs. O’Neill. That stuff’s not allowed, remember?”

She gave a frustrated groan. “It’s not fair.”

He rolled her over so he could look into her eyes. “But it’s worth it, don’t you think?”

“Of course it’s worth it,” she assured him, raising a hand to touch his face. “I’d stay in bed and do nothing for the whole nine months if I had to.”

“You know,” he said, bringing her back into his arms. “There’s a lot to be said for kissing and cuddling.”

She giggled as he pulled her against him. “And cold showers?”

He laughed. “And cold showers,” he agreed.

“Jack?” Sam asked, as they sat at the table forty minutes later. “When are we going to finish the nursery?”

‘Finish’ was probably the wrong word. All they’d done so far was move all of the junk out of the room and undercoat the walls. The only thing it currently contained was the antique rocking chair that Mark had sent for them. It had been in the Carter family for generations and Sam was ecstatic that she now had it.

“There’s plenty of time, baby. It doesn’t have to be done today,” Jack assured her.

Sam looked across at him. “But I want it finished. I’d feel so much better if it at least resembled a nursery. At least then if the baby comes early...”

“Hey,” Jack interrupted, reaching across the table and grasping her hand. “The baby’s not gonna come early, okay? Chris isn’t gonna let that happen. We have three months to get that nursery done.”

“You don’t know that. Chris doesn’t even know that. I want to be prepared.”

Jack sighed. “I want you to stop with this negative attitude. It isn’t good for you. You’ve got to think positive, Sam.”

“I’m trying, but...” Her bottom lip quivered. “This is supposed to be the happiest time of my life, not the most terrifying.”

Jack got up, moving to her and pulling her into his arms. “Oh, baby, shh,” he soothed. “It’s gonna be okay. Come on, shh.”

He sat down with Sam on his lap. She buried her head in his neck and cried. Jack just continued to whisper soothing words as he stroked her back and hair, holding her tightly against him.

“What’s wrong?” he heard his mother ask, and looked up to see her standing in the doorway.

“Nothing,” he assured her, feeling Sam take a calming breath and pull away slightly. He looked at her tear stained face and gave her an encouraging smile. “Feel better?” he asked, using his thumb to wipe the tears away.

“A bit,” she admitted.

Jack reached out and tucked a lock of hair behind her ear. “How ‘bout I go and call Hammond, get him to reschedule this meeting? Then I can go with you to your doctor’s appointment.”

Sam shook her head. “You’ve had too much time off work already. I’ll be okay, Jack.”

Susan walked further into the room, sitting in the chair next to the couple. “Would you like me to change my plans and go with you, Sam? It really wouldn’t be a problem.”

“You’ve been looking forward to meeting up with your friend in Denver for ages. It’s not like I’m going by myself, Janet will be with me.”

“Are you sure?” Susan persisted.

“Mom, I’ll be fine, okay?” She turned and gave Jack a quick kiss. “I’m just going to go upstairs. Call me when Janet gets here?”

Jack and Susan watched as she walked out of the kitchen before they turned to look at each other. “What was that about?” Susan asked her son.

Jack sighed. “She’s scared, Mom,” he stated simply.

“That’s understandable, Jack, but I thought she was doing better these last couple of weeks. I’ve been getting her out in the garden to get her some fresh air, maybe get her mind off things. I thought it was helping.”

“It is, mom. Sam just has a habit of thinking too much sometimes. The latest is she wants to get the nursery finished in case the baby comes early. I tried to tell her it wasn’t going to happen, to start thinking more positive...”

“Maybe setting up the nursery would be a good idea.”

Jack gave her a strange look. “It’s making her think the worst, mom.”

“It might give her something else to focus on, something else to look forward to.”

He thought for a moment. “Maybe you’re right.”

“Of course I’m right, I’m your mother.”

Jack was about to make a smart reply, when the doorbell sounded. He went to the door and let Janet in. “Hi, Janet.”

“Hi, Jack. How’s everything on this fine morning?”

“Cassie stay over at a friend’s house last night, did she?” he asked, taking in her happy mood and glowing face.

She blushed and cleared her throat. “Is Sam ready?” she asked, looking around the room.

“I think she’s on the Internet. She found a Bed Rest Support chat room the first week she was stuck in bed and made some friends who are in the same situation as her.”

“I’ve heard about those groups, they’re supposed to be brilliant in helping women cope with bed rest.”

“Seem to be. We had some tears this morning and I’d say she’s off talking to her bed buddy about it.”

Janet raised an eyebrow. “Bed buddy?”

He nodded. “They buddy up with someone who’s due around the same time so they can support each other.” He looked at his watch. “Look I better get a move on. I’ll go and get Sam for you. Mom’s in the kitchen.”

Janet nodded and watched as Jack made his way up the stairs.

When Jack walked into their bedroom, he found Sam sitting on the bed, propped up by a pile of pillows. She had her lap top in her lap, smiling and typing furiously. “What are you grinning at?” he asked, making her jump.

“Maggie’s doctor told her she could get out of bed last night! She’s so excited about being able to go and sit outside and see something other than her bedroom.” Sam’s bed buddy had been on bed rest for the last six weeks and they’d thought she might have had to stay there for the rest of her pregnancy. It gave Sam a boost to know her friend was doing well.

“I remember someone else who got excited about that,” Jack teased, moving to get his jacket as he talked to her.

Sam just poked her tongue out at him. “Are you off to work?” she asked, one eye on him and the other on the computer screen.

“Yep and you’re off to your doctor’s appointment. Janet’s waiting down stairs.”

“Already? Wow, I didn’t realize it was so late. Just let me say goodbye.” She typed in a few sentences and smiled when Maggie replied. She said goodbye and disconnected.

Jack helped her to her feet and they walked down the stairs arm in arm.

“Hey there,” Janet greeted as the they walked into the kitchen.

“Good morning,” Sam replied, giving her friend a mischievous smile. “Did you have a pleasant evening last night?”

Janet grinned. “Oh, yeah.”

Shaking his head, Jack turned to his wife. “I’ve gotta go, baby. I’ll be home at lunch, okay? Then we’ll talk about this nursery.” He kissed her smiling lips, before bending to kiss where his baby lay. “Love you both.”

“Love you too.”

He caressed her cheek and gave her a meaningful look. “Call me if you need me, okay?”

She nodded and smiled. “I’m okay now,” she assured him.

Giving her one last kiss, Jack turned to his mother. “Drive carefully, mom. Sam’ll do some damage if you dent the Mustang.”

“I’ll be fine,” Susan told him, rolling her eyes.

They all headed out of the house a few minutes later. Sam and Janet headed towards the hospital, Susan headed for Denver and Jack was off to Cheyenne Mountain.

Three hours later, Jack had finally finished helping Hammond with the monthly expenditure. As usual, they were under pressure to cut down their spending, which was definitely easier said than done with a base like the SGC. Before heading off the base, Jack headed to the infirmary to talk to Lucy.

“Hi, Jack,” the young nurse greeted when he walked into the infirmary. “If you’re looking for Janet, she’s off today.”

“I know,” Jack replied, sitting down on the bed she had just finished making. “She’s with Sam.”

“She okay?” Lucy asked, immediately concerned.

“As well as can be expected.”

She raised an eyebrow. “What does that mean?”

Jack sighed. “It means that physically she’s doing okay, but she’s still a bit down.”

“Anything I can do?”

Jack grinned. “Funny you should ask that...”

“Oh, no. What have I got myself in for now?”

“I need your help on a mission,” he told her.

“A mission?” she asked, confused. “What kind of mission?”

“A highly classified mission code named ‘Operation Nursery,’” he elaborated, grinning. “We could use your expertise.”

Lucy laughed. “Just tell me when, I’ll be there.”

Thanking her, Jack then headed for Teal’c’s quarters. Sam had blatantly refused to have any form of medication during the birth, for fear it could react with her altered body chemistry and harm her baby. Although Chris had deemed it highly improbable that a reaction would occur, Sam wasn’t taking any chances. Teal’c had offered to teach Sam the mediation technique used by the women of Chulak during their labors. He also offered to teach Jack how to coach her through the technique so that her pain would be minimal.

“Is there a problem, O’Neill?” the Jaffa asked as he opened the door.

“No problem, Teal’c. I was just wondering if you’d mind giving Sam her first lesson this afternoon? She’s still worried that she’s going to go into premature labor and my mom and I thought it might help her relax if she felt she was prepared.”

Teal’c nodded. “That is indeed a good idea, O’Neill. As well as helping her through her labor, this meditation technique may also help her release her tension without harming the child she carries.”

“Even better! You wanna get out of here? I told her I’d be home by lunch.”

“I will just change into more appropriate attire and I shall be ready.”

“Thanks, Teal’c. I’ll meet you topside.”

On the drive into town, Teal’c told Jack the basics of the technique he was going to teach Sam. He also gave Jack his first lesson in coaching her. By the time they reached the O’Neill residence, Jack was confident that Teal’c could be a great help in getting Sam to relax.

Jack and Teal’c walked in the door, immediately spotting Janet as she walked out of the kitchen. “How’d the meeting go?” she asked with a grin.

“As thrilling as monthly expenditure can get,” he returned. “Sam up in bed?” he asked, looking around.

Janet shook her head and pointed outside. Jack saw her lying on one of the deck beds, enjoying the last rays of summer. He smiled as he watched her tilt her face up into the bright sunlight.

“She looks the most relaxed I’ve seen her in weeks. What happened?”

Janet smiled and handed him Sam’s glass of iced tea. “How about you go and ask her?”

Jack took the drink and headed out onto the deck. When Sam heard the door open, she didn’t open her eyes, assuming it was Janet. “We should figure out a way of bottling this stuff, Janet,” she said, face still tilted to the light. “I bet there’d be a dramatic decrease in illness.”

“Not to mention an increase in happy looking mothers-to-be,” Jack quipped.

Sam’s eyes snapped open and she grinned at her husband. “I thought you were Janet,” she explained. “I didn’t hear you come in.”

“Glad to see my black op’s training comes in handy for something.” He gave her the glass of iced tea before pulling up a deck chair. “So,” he began. “I’m thinking your doctor’s appointment went well?”

Sam grinned, nodding. “It was excellent!” she enthused. “Chris said as long as I keep taking my medication, I should be able to start doing stuff.”

Jack raised an eyebrow. “Stuff?”

She grinned, knowing exactly where his thoughts were going. “Not *that* stuff, Jack. That’ll have to wait until after the baby’s born, but she said I can start going out a little more, maybe even start working from home.”

“Really?” Jack asked, surprised. He knew that Chris would never have suggested it if she’d thought there was any risk, but the thought still made him nervous. He looked at her, seeing that the news had done wonders. Her eyes were sparkling, her face was glowing and there was a constant smile on her lips. “That’s great, baby,” he told her honestly.

Janet and Teal’c walked out onto the deck then, each grabbing a deck chair and sitting down with their friends. “So, I was thinking,” Jack started, after they’d settled. “SG-1 has two days down time, maybe we should spend the day here tomorrow?”

“Doing what, O’Neill?” Teal’c asked, playing along.

“Well, there’s this room upstairs which needs a lick of paint, maybe some furniture...”

Sam’s eyes lit up. “Are you serious?!”

He shrugged, going for nonchalance. “It’s just a thought...” He stopped as a pregnant body launched itself into his arms.

“Thank you!” she cried.

Looking over Sam’s shoulder at Janet, he saw her giving him a thumbs up. He smiled back at her before Sam pulled away and he turned his attention back to his wife. “Ya know, Teal’c and I were talking on the way home and he thought maybe it would be a good time for your first meditation lesson.”

Her eyes turned to Teal’c, alight with enthusiasm. “Really?”

Teal’c nodded. “I do believe the time has come for us to begin.”

“Great! Can we start now?”

“We may begin whenever you wish. It would be best to have your first lesson in a more comfortable environment. May I suggest the living room?”

Sam nodded and got to her feet. They headed back inside and Teal’c told her to get comfortable on the sofa. He then turned to Jack who was hovering nearby. “O’Neill, I wish to work with Major Carter by herself for this lesson. Once she has mastered the technique, I shall instruct you both together so that you can learn to harmonize the method.”

Jack nodded, walking over to where Janet stood. They watched as Teal’c moved to sit on the coffee table in front of the sofa. Jack hoped the piece of furniture wouldn’t break under his friend’s immense mass.

“Now, Major Carter,” Teal’c began. “The first thing you need to ensure is that you are in a comfortable position. This position may change during our lessons and it may change during the progression of the child’s birth. Do not try and stay in the one position if you feel the need to move.”

Jack and Janet continued to watch as Teal’c went through the meditation method with Sam. He spoke in low, soothing tones and they could both see how relaxed she was.

“Think we can get him to keep her in this state ‘til it’s time?” Jack whispered.

Janet simply smiled in return.



The morning sunlight, moves gently on our bed
Sounds of distant traffic, float into my head
Eyes slowly open and words won't be enough
But what is left unspoken burns softly in your touch



Sam woke early the next morning, but it wasn’t the baby’s movements that brought her from slumber. It was the fluttering of excitement. She couldn’t wait to have the nursery painted. All she wanted was for everything to be ready. It wasn’t solely in case she went into labor prematurely. At the moment, whenever she walked into the nursery, it just felt like an empty room. She wanted to feel like she was closer to her child in there. It would be the place where she would nurse him or her, the place where they’d bond. She wanted it to be special.

The baby shifted and Sam had to move as well. She rolled over onto her left side, so she was facing her husband. He was still asleep, his mouth slightly open and his eyes moving behind their closed lids. She just lay there and watched him, enjoying the chance to gaze at his relaxed face. The early morning sun was coming through the gap in the curtains, giving the room a soft light and allowing her to see him clearly. He always looked younger when he slept. There were no lines of worry or grief. Just the boyish good looks that she loved.

Jack’s eyes flickered open as he got he distinct impression that he was being watched. He was met with a pair of blue eyes that were shining with love. He went to open his mouth but was stopped by a gentle finger to his lips. Sam smiled at him and replaced the finger with her own lips. Jack took the hint, pulling her close and using his hands and lips to show her how much he loved her. Making love may have been forbidden, but touching wasn’t and both enjoyed their caressing almost as much.

Sam sighed, feeling Jack’s hands run up and down her back and his lips make their way up her neck. No matter how fat and ugly she was feeling, his touch never failed to show her he disagreed. He always made her feel beautiful and loved. “Mmm,” she sighed. “As much as I’m loving this, I have a baby on my bladder.”

Jack chuckled, letting her go so she could get up. He watched as she made her way to the bathroom, grinning at the view. Sam seemed to hate the changes in her body, the rounding of her stomach, the increase in the curves of her figure, but Jack found it to be the most beautiful sight he’d seen.

“When are we going to get started on the painting?” Sam asked, when she walked out a few minutes later.

“What’s this ‘we’ business? You’re not going anywhere near that paint.”

Sam gaped at him. “But, Jack...”

Jack raised a hand. “No buts. Paint fumes can’t be good for you.”

Sam nodded reluctantly, seeing his point. She’d hate to do something stupid now that things were going so well.

Jack took her in his arms. “Don’t worry, angel. We’ll have it looking perfect, I promise.”

She sighed. “I know, but you guys will all be having fun and I won’t even be allowed in the same room.”

“Just think of the surprise you’ll get seeing it all done,” Jack pointed out.

“What if I don’t like it?”

Jack shrugged. “Then Space Monkey can do it all over again.”

Sam giggled, slapping his arm. “He hates it when you call him that.”

“I know,” Jack grinned in return “Come on. The guys will be here soon and I don’t want them seeing how sexy you look in that little number.”

She looked down at the faded old Red Sox T-shirt she was wearing, seeing only the bulge of her pregnancy. Looking into Jack’s eyes however, she knew he saw more. She could see he really did think she looked sexy. ‘Must be the bigger bust,’ she thought to herself, as she was led into the bathroom.



Sam, Jack and Susan had just finished breakfast when the doorbell rang. Jack went and opened to the door, greeting Daniel, Janet and Cassie as they entered the house. “How’s our mom this morning?” Janet asked Jack.

“Excited,” he replied with a grin. “There’s something I wanted to ask you about though. I’m a bit worried about Sam being in the house with these paint fumes.”

Janet smiled. “Already taken care of, Jack. While you guys are painting, I thought that Sam, Susan, Cassie and I could do a little shopping for things to put in this nursery.”

“Really? Are you sure she’s gonna be okay walking around for that long? I don’t want her to overdo it.”

“We won’t stay out all day. We might go out until lunch and then I’ll take her back to my place to rest. You can call us when it’s safe to come back” She smiled. “I’ll look after her. You just make that nursery nice. You’ll have the wrath of a pregnant woman to deal with, if you mess it up.”

He chuckled at that, leading them into the kitchen. “The first round of slave labor has arrived,” he announced, earning a look from Daniel.

“Who else is coming?” Janet asked, helping herself to a cup of coffee. Seeing Daniel practically salivating at the cup she was holding, she passed it to him with a sigh and
poured herself another.

“Brett and Lucy should be here soon. Ben and Jocelyn send their apologies but they’re going to Ben’s parent’s place for a few days,” Jack told her.

“Won’t it be a little crowded with all of you in there?” Sam asked.

“We won’t all be in there,” Janet told her. Seeing Sam’s questioning look, she grinned. “We’re kidnapping you. Well, you and Jack’s credit card.”

“What are you talking about?” Sam asked, confused.

“The room isn’t going to be finished unless we get some furniture to go in it. So, since you’re now allowed to go out, Cassie and I thought we’d take you shopping.” She looked across at Susan. “We were wondering if you’d like to come with us as well, Susan.”

“I’d love to,” Susan replied, seeing the surprised expression on her daughter-in-law’s face. “If Sam doesn’t mind, that is.”

“Of course I don’t mind, mom,” she replied, as Jack pulled her down to sit on his lap.

The doorbell rang then and Cassie ran out to answer it.

Janet shook her head. “She’s so excited about this.”

“Mmm, she’s not the only one,” Jack replied, looking at the excited gleam in his wife’s eyes. “You’ve gotta promise me something, baby,” he said, turning serious.

“What?” she asked.

“If you get tired or you start feeling sick, you tell Janet immediately, okay? I don’t want you overdoing things.”

“I won’t, Jack,” she promised. “I’m not going to put our baby at risk.”

“I know you won’t,” he assured her. “I just want you to be careful, that’s all.”

She smiled, reaching out and stroking his cheek. “You worry too much. We’re going to be just fine.”

Jack smiled, loving the change in her attitude. The good news Chris had given her and the excitement of the day’s events had done wonders for her. “I’m allowed to worry,” he murmured just before their lips met.

“Oh, cut it out, you two!” Brett cried as he and Lucy walked into the kitchen.

“Make me,” Jack replied with a cheeky grin.

Brett grinned. “I would except I’d hate to hurt that gorgeous woman in your arms.” He leaned down and kissed Sam on the cheek. “You look great, Sam,” he told her sincerely.

“Hey!” Jack cried.

“Oh, sorry, Jack. You look gorgeous too. Do you want a kiss as well?”

The room erupted with laughter.

“I think that’s our cue,” Janet said, between giggles. “You ready to go, Sam?”

“Oh, yeah!” she replied, getting to her feet. She smiled at Jack’s concerned look, using a thumb to try and brush away the frown lines on his forehead. “Don’t worry,” she whispered, giving him one last kiss.

“Never gonna happen,” he told her, as he walked her to the door.

Sam just shook her head. “I’m driving,” she told Janet, grinning from ear to ear.

Janet didn’t look so sure, but figured it would be pointless to argue.

Jack watched as they headed for Janet’s sedan. “No lifting anything heavier than a teddy bear!” he called after her.

Sam turned and snapped off a smart salute before climbing into the car.



The women had a fabulous time shopping for the baby. When Sam had been on bed rest, she’d had plenty of time to research different products and had a fair idea of what she wanted. Thankfully, the men who worked at Babies ‘R’ Us carried all of the heavy pieces to Janet’s car and they managed to cram everything in.

Once they’d purchased all they wanted, they wandered down the street to a small cafe for a light lunch before heading back to the car.

They were talking as they walked when suddenly Cassie cried, “Oh, look! Isn’t it cute?!”

The women turned to see what the teenager had found, spotting a small Golden Labrador pup in the window. It looked so sad sitting there and Sam’s heart melted. “Let’s go in,” she said, walking into the pet store before anyone could say anything. She went straight to the puppy, smiling as he spotted her and got excited. “Oh, you’re just adorable,” she cooed.

“Sam? What are you doing?” Janet asked, stopping beside her friend.

“Look at him, Janet. He looks so lonely.”

“I think you should buy him,” Cassie said, earning a look from her mother.

“I don’t think Jack would be very impressed,” Susan pointed out.

“But he *loves* dogs. Besides, wasn’t he the one that said every kid *has* to have one? That means the baby has to have one too,” Cassie persisted.

Sam grinned. “I like the way your mind works, Cass.”

“This breed is excellent with children,” the store assistant said, having overheard them. “And very faithful.” He unlocked the cage so that Sam could pat him. The puppy was overjoyed at the attention, barking and playing with her hand.

“Sold,” Sam told the man, instantly falling in love with the animal. She ignored the two women shaking their heads and grinned at Cassie.

A