Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Beginning of a Beautiful Friendship (Part IV), The

by Valaika
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
The Beginning of a Beautiful Friendship (Part IV)

The Beginning of a Beautiful Friendship (Part IV)

by valaika

TITLE: The Beginning of a Beautiful Friendship (Part IV)
AUTHOR: valaika
EMAIL: valaika@thevortex.com
CATEGORY: Series, Drama, Romance
PAIRING: Daniel/other
SPOILERS: none that i can think of
SEASON / SEQUEL: 4; part 4 in a series
RATING: PG
CONTENT WARNINGS: male/female relationship
SUMMARY: A new planet brings and unexpected surprise
STATUS: Complete
ARCHIVE: Heliopolis
DISCLAIMER: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. We have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the authors. Not to be archived without permission of the authors.
AUTHOR'S NOTES: i've finally finished it! My first series ever! That in fact resulted from my first fanfic ever! I'm on spring break...so i finally got the time! Thank you for those who waited and thank you for those who will read this despite the waiting. Oh yes, and keep on sending that feedback...so long as it is positive in most aspects...and i like the constructive criticism...it's always good to learn! Anyways on with the show!

Once again, they were in the briefing room. Jack was silently drumming the soft rubber of his pencil on top of his files. Sam paid some attention; her mind searched for key words that may interest her as she listened. And Teal'c was - well, who knew what Teal'c was thinking? The General sat with a polite mask of mild fascination. Daniel, however, was deeply immersed in what Valeska was saying. Not only because she was describing the ruins and artifacts to be found there, but also because as she recalled her experiences he could imagine being there.

It was a planet he had never been to, but she had been there. She had been there with her friends. She missed them. Valeska tried to concentrate solely on the ruins and their descriptions, and he felt the vague recollection of Laveda and Kearney watching her as she examined their findings, but she kept pushing them back. So he didn't try to see them. He too, focused on the ruins and the lecture that Valeska was giving. Ruins from a slightly advanced society were present. There was no one there. A small town was in close proximity to the Stargate. Uninhabited planet. May be some naquada deposits under the town - traces were found.

That was enough to spark some attention and life into her audience. She explained that her team had not really looked at the remains. They returned and sent SR-4 and 7 to look at the naquada deposits. "I never really got around to look at their reports, I was more interested in the ruins..." she smiled apologetically at them.

It was all the better. They had the information that they would really need. There were no traces of the Goa'uld, no inhabitants, and no problem. There was naquada - that was a good thing.

"There is one problem though. The DHD wasn't functioning properly while we were there. It didn't give us too many problems. There were just delays when we pushed a button.'

"Like a slow computer?" asked Sam.

"Yes, it looked older, more used...and it was not as efficient."

"Are you sure it won't give us problems?"

"Truthfully, I'm not one hundred percent sure. I, myself, found nothing around the Stargate that would suggest that it was different from other planets, and Mather examined it and confirmed that there were no major deficiencies. I'm just saying that it gave us no problems. We first went there about three years ago. I can assure you that the planet itself is safe and quite pleasant."

"So if we get stuck there, it wouldn't be so bad," added Jack helpfully. For a brief second everyone was silenced and looked at him amusedly. Sam continued the meeting, "This should be a routine mission. We'll send in the MALP first, of course, but seeing as how Valeska's already been there she wanted to debrief us first. But now that we know what we know, I doubt we'll find anything that'll surprise us."

"All right then, get to it SG-1, dismissed."

SG-1 and General Hammond stood in the Control Room. They watched as the robotic body of the MALP clumsily and slowly made it's way up the ramp and through the watery illusion. They watched with a feeling of muted excitement - they knew what to expect. They received a visual transmission a few seconds later. It seemed that the Stargate was on top of a hill. Past the slope were the ruins, at that position they couldn't be seen. The horizon revealed a lush forest with yellowish-green trees, according to Valeska there was a river running through it. A tiny hand waved in front of the camera. Everyone watching was startled.

The head of the MALP turned around, startling the owner of the hand. The tiny body scurried behind the camera where it could not be seen, making the DHD behind it visible. Its structure was old, Valeska was right. Beside it lay crude manmade tools, further shocking the observers. The connection was lost. Suddenly the screens were overtaken by a static snowstorm.

Jack interrupted the silence, "thought you said there was no one there."

Valeska was dumbfounded.

So they were off. It looked like there would be more to this mission than trees and rocks after all. They weren't sure if there were any others on the planet, so SG-1 proceeded with caution. That tiny fleeting image had hardly seemed threatening, but who knew what his mommy was like?

Their arrival through the Stargate startled a few people by the MALP. They themselves were startled when two men and a woman jumped up from their positions beside the MALP. At first Valeska could not believe her eyes. She stepped out in front of Jack and screamed for joy, leaping into the arms of one of the men in front of her. Recognition dawned on the faces of the rest of the team as well when she screamed his name, "Mather!"

He responded with as much enthusiasm, "Valeska!"

The scientist briefly swung her in his arms and they both could not control their overwhelming emotions. "By the Gods Mather! What is this?" Valeska made a motion towards the ruins in the distance seeing that they were teaming with people. She was completely flabbergasted. Her hands traced his face to make sure he wasn't an illusion. He was alive. She was near tears.

"This is New Terra."

"New Terra?" Jack stepped up from behind Valeska.

"Yes."

"But we thought you were all annihilated." Sam also came into the conversation. Daniel moved up beside Valeska, but like her was unable to say anything. She watched Mather explain with wide eyes.

"Terra was annihilated, but some of us managed to escape through the Stargate. We managed to evacuate many of the nearby cities and towns, but a global evacuation was impossible in the little time we had. It was the only convenient uninhabited planet." He turned back to his beloved friend, "We didn't know what to do when you left. We were so afraid that - and then - Valeska, your father..."

"My father?" She prepared herself for a disappointment. She pushed down any hope that may have made its way into her heart after seeing Mather. Her father couldn't possibly be there; she could not sense him.

"We all thought you were gone, Valeska, your father believes you are dead." For a moment, she stared into her friend's eyes. Was this some horrible joke? It couldn't be. Mather would never do such a thing. "How could that be?"

"He said - he couldn't sense you."

"That's not possible." Valeska slightly stepped away from him.

"Valeska," Daniel whispered her name as he moved closer to her, wanting to comfort her. He was the only one who could possibly see past her calm exterior. She turned away from him and stared at the ground. "The bond between a parent and his child cannot be broken." There was a brief pause as she regained her composure; "You must take me to him."

"Of course, Valeska. Come, you are all welcome."

Mather and Valeska walked behind of the rest of SG-1 as they made their way towards the small village teaming with people. They walked slowly as they talked.

"You're awfully quiet."

"It's just that...I thought - I thought you were all gone."

"I had no idea."

"No, you don't. Everyone I ever knew and loved, my people. I thought you were all dead."

He remained quiet. Finally, she was displaying a hint of emotion since their meeting.

"And father," she paused for a moment, "We went to save him - to rescue him so that he could come back and we could save Terra and all would be well. But before we even got there...it failed."

Mather was confused; he had heard this story before, but not from this point of view. "The rescue?"

"The bond, and I thought that he was dead, he was gone...I couldn't sense him, and I still can't sense him here" she looked up at him as if hoping for an explanation.

"You're father experienced pretty much the same thing, he thought you were gone, that perhaps Cronus's forces had captured you before you got to him. He was never sure. He never wanted to believe."

They walked some time in silence. It was unbelievable for both of them - they were facing miracles - completely unexpected events.

"I have wished everyday since I left - since I found out - that you were alive, that my people were still out there somewhere surviving." Her voice broke and she stopped. She wiped away water from her eyes and continued, "I always hoped, but I never expected to see you again Mather - never."

"I've missed you too."

"And I'm just so happy." She stopped abruptly and hugged him again.

The tall man was surprised by this sudden outburst of emotion. It figures, she tended to bottle up things. It was good for her. He needed it too - the feeling that came from knowing she was with them again, a dear friend. They stood together for moments until Mather pushed her away slightly and lightly stated, "We'd better catch up."

Valeska's eyes lit up as a thought occurred to her suddenly. All at once she felt anxiety, insecurity, joy and hope. "What about Kearney?"

Sam, Teal'c, Jack and Daniel walked a few meters ahead of Mather and Valeska, who seemed to be progressively falling behind. A woman, Octavia, and her brother, Sebastian, accompanied them. They were Mather's apprentices. Sebastian was younger and quite a bit more enthusiastic than his sister. Sam and Jack talked to the two and found out as much as they could. Teal'c listened in politely to the conversation.

After The Princess left for Earth, the brave soldiers of The SRF quickly went into action. Under the direction of a man named Kaspar they fled Terra. This planet was chosen because it was one of the few that were uninhabited and had an amiable environment. Very few people came through the ring before the evil Goa'uld destroyed Terra. There were two million beings on the planet and only eighty or so escaped to here. The evacuation was rushed. Many of the SRF personnel were lost. They tired to go back but there was no breathable air left and no chance of survivors.

They listened quietly while Octavia related the happenings. Her sorrow filled voice shot through them. The reality of what the enemy was capable of horrified all of them. These people were in fact lucky that they managed to live, and they knew it. Octavia gathered her wits and continued with her story, occasionally Sebastian interrupted where he deemed it necessary.

As soon as they arrived here and found out that no one would be following they launched a mission to save The Emperor and The Princess. With the limited number of people they went after Nathaniel first, he was at the moment in enemy territory and would need help before Valeska. But they never made it to Earth. The Emperor believed she was dead. After some time, the rest of them came to believe so too. Her arrival was miraculous.

The Stargate was malfunctioning on their side. After Nathaniel's rescue they couldn't activate it anymore. There was something wrong with the power source according to Mather. They fixed that. It was underground, under the Stargate. Sam questioned, "In the naquada mines?" Yes, in the naquada mines, it was a technologically advanced structure. They're not sure how Mather got it to work. They're not even sure if Mather knows how he got it to work. The power source for the gate is working but at the moment the DHD is still in need of repair, it functions but still with delays. "We would have contacted you earlier. But with the current condition of the Star Ring it would be quite unsafe." Sebastian jumped into the conversation.

The whole concept of the Star Ring fascinated him. He spent precious moments describing in every detail the wonders of passing through it. In intricate detail he outlined his feelings, it was cold and he felt sick afterwards, but it was the most exhilarating ride ever! He'd wanted to do it again for the longest time. The older sister watched this excited youth fondly. Their companions watched him amusedly remembering their own first experiences through the gate.

"What happened to the MALP?" asked Jack.

"Excuse me?"

"The big machine robot thing we sent through before coming."

"Oh," Octavia giggled for a moment, "I must apologize for that. Your MALP startled a young boy who was assisting us with the DHD and he threw a stone on it to make it stop. We were taking a break, and weren't around to stop him. I afraid he damaged it, we were attempting to fix it when you came through."

"That's why we lost the signal," added Sam matter-of-factly.

Daniel walked a pace behind them. He had been awfully quiet the whole time and Jack was a bit worried about him. But, occasionally a smile would pass by his tired eyes. He wasn't paying attention to the conversation but he heard every word. He couldn't help feeling happy, just as Valeska couldn't help feeling happy. His emotions conflicted with hers. He caught bits and pieces of their conversation through Valeska. She was truly overjoyed. She was happy, and he loved her so much that he couldn't help being happy for her - ecstatic even. Something changed. He was suddenly worried as he heard her thought. He heard her question, "What about Kearney?"

"Excuse me?" Octavia turned to him.

Oh, had he said that a loud? He had interrupted her. "Oh, I'm sorry, I was just wondering, um..." How could he explain wanting to know about Kearney? "Did all of SR-1 make it here?"

"Many of the SRF soldiers stayed behind, many didn't make it. They died heroes in their last attempts to save our planet. Commander Kearney Thane was one of them. I am sorry, you knew him?"

"Yes, we all did."

"Kearney Thane was an honorable man and most capable warrior. His loss is a great one indeed." Teal'c spoke up about his friend, surprising most.

For moments everyone remained quiet as if out of respect for Kearney. Daniel was pained. Valeska found out about him from Mather at much the same time as Daniel. She was terribly upset. But he had been dead for so long. He had been thought of as dead for just as long. All these people escaped, but the fool had to stay behind and help them! Couldn't he be selfish for once, just once? Didn't he want to find her? Why didn't he come after her first?

//He was a good man// Daniel reached out to Valeska. //He cared about you//

//I know, he just cared about everyone else just as much, he always put others ahead of himself...and me...saving the world...always//

They arrived at sunset. The town was teeming with people. They all looked so different to Valeska. The faces, the characteristics of Terranians were there, but the new lives they lived and the way they lived them were completely unfamiliar. They were wearing cotton and leather tunics with woolen cloaks, which were hardly the latest fashion statement when Valeska left. The populace stopped in their tracks to examine the strangers as they passed by. A murmur rose up as some recognized the daughter of their emperor. She acknowledged them by smiling and they smiled back. Some bowed.

The ruins that these people had made home where still in tact. As they walked Daniel examined them along with Valeska. They silently shared ideas and Valeska related to him her previous findings. He explained to her the ancestry on Earth of the builders of the structures. He tried to take her mind of Kearney and succeeded by engaging her in verbal conversation as well occupying her thoughts. The community seemed to be rural due to its apparent isolation and large farmlands, but many structures suggested otherwise. They passed by a large dome building near the center of the town. "Is that some kind of town hall?" questioned Daniel.

"Yes, that is where Emperor Nathaniel and Price Kaspar hold assemblies."

"Kaspar?" Valeska jumped in at the sound of the familiar name.

"Yes."

"Who's Prince Kaspar?" asked Jack.

"Kaspar is my cousin, Emperor Upton's son."

"Really? Why haven't we met him?"

"I hadn't seen him myself in more than five years."

"He wanted nothing to do with the ruling family. Upton claimed it was his birthright and that he and I would have to compete for the throne. But he said no, he declined and left me the sole heir to the Empire."

"He now helps your father rule Valeska. He's proven to be a worthy ruler."

"He was the one who led you here and saved Nathaniel," recalled Sam from their earlier conversation.

"He did?" Valeska was surprised.

"His stubbornness came in quite handy. He would not give up. He wanted to repair the Stargate as soon as possible once Nathaniel was rescued in order to find you. But Nathaniel wouldn't allow it." Mather explained.

"Why?"

"He truly believed you were dead. The Emperor could not face it. I suppose he didn't want to confirm the fact by traveling to Earth and discovering that you never returned from Cronus's planet. He tried to contact you a few times from here, but he couldn't."

The sun fell quickly and as it did, lamps were lit along the streets. They weren't there last time Valeska had been here; the Terranians must have been busy. They made many additions to the ancient town. They made it new.

"There should be a well ahead, right?"

A hooded woman heading in their direction stopped in front of Valeska and stated "You're memory serves you well Princess," as she removed her hood.

Valeska looked at the face of her friend. "Zane?"

"Lessie!"

They embraced each other. Both were unbelieving and smiling uncontrollably. Both were ecstatic.

Jack mumbled to Sam, "Lessie?" She smiled sheepishly in return.

"It's true! I heard the townsfolk gossip about someone arriving through the Ring, but this..." She looked at the whole team, recognizing her old friends, "by god Lessie, you're alive!"

She hugged her again. As they continued through the town she recognized more faces. They arrived at a house that was larger than most around it.

"This must be where Nathaniel lives," Daniel whispered to Jack as he sensed Valeska's apprehension and stared at the large building. Jack looked at him; he had a talent for stating the obvious.

The seven stood outside of the structure. Mather raised his hand to knock and looked to Valeska before he did so. She nodded preparing herself for more surprises. Still, she could not sense her father no matter how hard she tried.

The door opened. It was a kindly old man that Valeska recognized as her father's old secretary. Shocked eyes met her own. He promptly fainted soon after a gasp of disbelief. "You'll be getting a lot won't you?" asked Jack.

"First time it's happened today," filled in Daniel.

The man - Lucas Phedra- was quickly revived and embraced Valeska and refused to let go of her for quite a while. A cold shiver ran down her spine. She was happy to see him, undoubtedly. Still the whole experience was surreal. If every meeting was going to be like this how much surprise would she be able to take?

Lucas immediately rose to his feet and ran into the next room yelling, "Lord Kaspar, come quick!"

A young man came rushing. He was alarmed by Lucas's tone. The team had to do a double take. It was uncanny how much he and Valeska looked alike. They might as well be twins, not cousins. Even Laveda and Mather had to make sure their eyes were working properly. The two hadn't been seen together in more than four years.

As he came closer to embrace Valeska, the major difference became apparent. She was awfully short! She was about the only short one in her family and on the SG team. Explanations were shared and introductions were made. Kaspar instructed Lucas to take the large group of people to the living area with the exception of Valeska who was led to her father's rooms.

On the way she talked to Kaspar and Daniel eavesdropped - with her permission of course. She was anxious. It was her father. Why couldn't she sense him? Something must be wrong, or else, she would have found him long before now. Even this, New Terra - she stumbled upon it by accident. It was a mere stroke of luck! She had a feeling that her luck would wear out. It couldn't last this long. Still, it was her father, and everything always turned out for the better when he was around.

They sat down in a large room lighted by torches, lots of torches. "Is it just me or is it hot in here?"

"It's cold outside," said Daniel absent-mindedly.

"But we're inside, and it's hot inside!"

"Sorry, but we haven't gotten around to building electrical outlets yet," replied Laveda.

"Actually, we haven't gotten around to rediscovering that technology at all yet."

"Why did you neglect to contact us or your other allies by Stargate then?"

"Like I said, it's been malfunctioning ever since we rescued the emperor. Only recently have I been able to make sense of and solve the problem. Still, there are a few tweaks here and there to work out, but with Samantha's help, that should be no problem." Mather smiled in her direction causing her to blush slightly.

"You know, I'd love to look at that power source in the naquada mines. I was meaning to ask you about that."

"Then we have the perfect opportunity."

"So, you Terranians," Jack leaned back into the furnishings, "Since it's obvious that you haven't been making electricity, what have you been up to for the past year?"

"Well, kind sir," said Laveda with a sarcastic tinge as she mimicked Jack and reclined back, "We've pretty much been establishing a new society, building homes, fortifying old ruins and already existing structures, building the furniture that you're so freely utilizing, fishing, forging for food, creating farms and domesticating local plants and animals, fishing, building, harvesting, building, fishing some more and building. Did I mention we had to make tools that we built, fished and farmed with?"

"Ah, so not much then eh?"

Sam held back a giggle and shifted her gaze to the floor so that she wouldn't embarrass herself with the large smile she was sporting. Teal'c raised an eyebrow and recognizing the humor in the situation smiled ever so slightly at Jack. Mather gave Jack a rather amazed look; he intercepted it and shrugged slightly. After a moment, everyone collected themselves.

Laveda noticed Daniel staring off into space, "Dr. Jackson, you've been especially quiet since we met."

He turned towards her, and he was obviously out of it, "Oh, I'm sorry, I just have some things on my mind." That was true - sort of, Valeska's worries became his quite quickly and uncontrollably, and whatever was on her mind occupied his. He looked very anxious the whole time.

"Are you well, Daniel Jackson?"

"Yeah, thanks Teal'c, I'm fine."

The group continued talking. Lucas joined them later on and they continued conversing. Daniel was unnaturally quiet.

Valeska and Kaspar stood outside the doors to her father's rooms. The anxiety was building up. It felt that if she didn't have an outlet for it, it would literally steam out of her ears and she would blow up. It was at times like these that she was glad she had Daniel. He was just the outlet she needed. His presence comforted her. Kaspar knocked.

"Come in."

He opened the door and the two cousins stepped inside. Directly in front of them was a bed, an empty bed. Valeska looked around and found him in a corner. He was sitting at a desk staring at the two of them. He got up and walked towards them, seeming indifferent. Valeska's eyes sparkled with tears. The anxiety increased ten-fold. Daniel was there, with her. She breathed slowly, desperately trying to seek her father's mind, his face, anything to provide the slightest hint of what he was feeling. There was nothing.

He walked up to them and formally introduced himself to Valeska. She stood in shock and confusion, as did Kaspar. He tried to explain. "Sir, Uncle, this is Valeska, your daughter."

"Kaspar, don't play such cruel jokes, my daughter is dead and you well know that."

"Father, I'm not dead, it's really me!"

"You are not."

"Father!"

"Don't call me that, what is this Kaspar? How can you do this to an old man's heart! Miss, you may bear a strong resemblance to my deceased daughter, but my senses tell me otherwise!"

"NO! I am Valeska, your daughter, you senses are wrong!"

He stared at the both of them. It was not Valeska, she was dead, and he knew that. Her essence no longer filled his mind as it used to when she was alive. Even now, if this was truly his daughter, then his mind should be overwhelmed by her presence. "My senses cannot be wrong, the bond between a father and his child cannot be broken."

"You don't know that for sure!"

Nathaniel watched her with a calculating eye, "Can you propose any way of proving yourself to me?"

"Father, I think Cronus might have done something to you...he tortured you for information, he may have broken the bond. But it is really me! You have to believe me!"

He stepped forward and unpredictably took her into his arms. "I missed you child. Not a day has passed that I haven't thought about you. You cannot understand how difficult this is for me to believe."

"Father, I am capable of the bond..." Valeska tried to explain that there was nothing wrong with her, that it must be him.

He understood what she meant, even without being able to read her thoughts.

"How can you know for sure?"

"Because I have formed a bond with another man."

"Kearney is dead Valeska-"

"I know father, another man..."

Daniel sat half listening to the on-going conversation. It was mostly about the new land and what they had done so far to settle it. The scene that he was paying attention to was far more interesting. Nathaniel refused to believe that his daughter was alive even when she was standing right there in front of him. He listened and quietly urged Valeska.

His brow was furrowed with worry for her - her anxiety was reflected on his face. Jack, Sam and Teal'c all asked him periodically if he was all right. He would answer absent-mindedly, adding a mild point to the conversation and then falling back into his thoughts.

His face suddenly registered shock. She was going to tell her father - about the bond. Did that mean - did that mean that SG-1 would find out? Were they going to make it public knowledge?

//Don't you think it's time now?//

//Well, I don't know, to tell you the truth Valeska, I was enjoying this secret affair//

//They're not stupid Daniel, they know something's going on.//

//They think we like each other//

//Jack suspects more//

//Jack always suspects more//

//Why don't you want to tell them? I've wanted to share this with everyone for the longest time and this is the only thing I can think of that will prove to my father that I am really me//

//How will we prove that we've really bonded?//

//I don't think we'll have to do anything special//

Valeska felt she was being somewhat insensitive, forcing her decision on him like this. She knew, though, that he knew, they had to tell them. They needed to find out sooner or later. The bond could not be undone by natural means. They both realized that it would most probably mean them spending the rest of their lives together. There was no reason for keeping it a secret.

Valeska arrived with her father and Kaspar. The guests rose to acknowledge and greet him, as he was accustomed to. They sat when they were requested to, but Daniel remained standing, and he walked over to Valeska. "Um, we sorta have an announcement to make..."

Jack looked at them suspiciously, "Oh, really?"

"Yeah, Jack, if you could just hear us out."

"We're in love."

"What?"

"Hold on, there's more."

"I mean, we're *really* in love."

"So much in love that in fact,"

"We've become telepathically linked."

"We've formed the bond."

"Which is why we seem to be completing each other's sentences."

"We know what the other's going to say"

"Before we say it."

"Yeah, and that is why, Sir."

"Father, that there can't be anything wrong with me."

"Cronus must have done something to you."

They received no reaction. The whole bit had to settle in for a second, and Jack interrupted the silence. "So you two are in love."

"Yes."

"And you have a" he waved his hands in the air for a minute, "a bond between the two of you."

"Yes."

"How long has this been going on?"

"About six months now."

"Six months."

"Yes."

"And you're telling us now."

"Yes."

"Why?"

"That's kind of complicated."

"Oh, I have time."

"But do the rest of us?" Valeska turned to the rest of the group for support, but they seemed just as interested and annoyed as Jack was.

So the two of them explained, nervously. They continued to complete each other's sentences making the bond more and more apparent.

"We didn't really realize it ourselves."

"And wanted to keep it to ourselves."

"Until we could be sure of the situation."

"But then,"

"We kinda got used to keeping it a secret."

"And got caught up in the whole- "

"Mysteriousness of it."

"We're sorry."

"We really didn't mean to keep it from all of you."

"Yeah."

"But it really doesn't change anything."

"Well, not much anyway."

"We can still function as a team."

"I mean - we have been for a while now."

"And we still can."

Jack took in a breath and let it out slowly, "No it doesn't change anything." He got up and walked up to the two and smiled, "Except now you can be a bit more public about it."

Nathaniel still was a little suspicious. He was thoroughly convinced after the two played a game of guess which number I'm thinking about ten times.

SG-1 was forced to share rooms - the place wasn't really as big as it seemed. Sam and Valeska were in one room. Daniel, Jack and Teal'c were in another.

"You're in love??"

Daniel remained silent.

Teal'c however, responded for him, "Has that fact not already been established O'Neill?"

"Yes, Teal'c, I believe it has, I was merely..."

"Being difficult?" added Daniel.

"No, I'm just surprised."

"No you're not," he stated matter-of-factly.

"How would you know?"

"You are correct Daniel Jackson, O'Neill has often discussed with me the apparent attraction between yourself and Princess Ari."

"Thank you Teal'c," said Jack as he gave him a fake and annoyed smile.

Teal'c gave no response, verbal or otherwise. He merely walked over to a suitable corner and fell into Kel'noreem.

"Good night Teal'c."

He opened his eyes, "Good night O'Neill."

Daniel went ahead and changed into the clothing that was provided for them, and Jack did the same. There were two beds in the room and Daniel picked his and began to lie down to sleep. Jack stopped him. He sat across from Daniel on his own bed and said, "So you're really in love?"

"Um, yeah Jack...how many times do you think I'll have to tell you before you're convinced?"

"Sorry, I won't ask anymore."

Daniel proceeded to lie down.

"So you guys..."

Daniel turned around frustrated knowing that this conversation was going to go on for a while, and he sat down. "Yeah?"

"Was this when we took a vacation and you were showing her around?"

"Yes, as I recall, I told you then and there that we were in love."

"You know, I didn't take you seriously."

"You didn't?"

"No."

"Um...Why?"

"Cause you never actually did anything about it."

"We were communicating telepathically most of the time."

"Which explains how you've kept it a secret for such a long time."

"It just seemed easier."

"That night, did you guys...um...you know..."

"No, Jack we didn't sleep together."

"Well technically actually you did, I mean, Teal'c and I did find you together on the couch."

"You know what I mean."

"Well?"

"Well what?"

"Have you since then?"

"Why are you so interested?"

"I'm your friend, I'm worried about you and want to know how this relationship is going."

"I doubt you are, but no."

"No what?"

"No, we haven't since then, we haven't ever."

"Oh." Jack looked down at his hands, and was about add something as he looked up, but Daniel beat him to it.

"I suppose you want to know why."

"Yeah."

"Valeska was and is the Princess of Terra. She and Kearney never did anything, and she indirectly made me understand how she was viewed as the Maiden of Terra."

"'The Maiden of Terra?'"

"Yeah, so she felt uncomfortable about relations before marriage."

"So she's an old-fashioned type of gal."

"Yeah."

"Which is good, cause you're an old-fashioned type of guy."

Daniel looked at him questioningly.

"Right?"

He didn't respond to the question but simply lifted the covers and disappeared in them saying "Good night Jack." Jack took the hint and went to sleep soon after.

Valeska carefully viewed herself in the mirror.

Sam was preparing the bed for her to lie down and she watched her friend intently examining her reflected image, "What'cha doin?"

"Looking at myself."

"Uh-huh."

She turned away and walked towards her own bed.

"So what did you see?"

"Myself, in a woolen nightgown that Laveda knitted. That amazes me because Laveda couldn't even sew a button onto a shirt without injuring herself and the shirt severely."

Sam smiled. "So!" she exclaimed as if ready to point something out, but then didn't continue.

"So..." Valeska urged her.

"You and Daniel are in love."

Valeska laughed. After seeing her friend's confused face she replied, "Jack just went through the same thing with Daniel."

"Really?"

"Yeah, he had some strange questions."

"You knew what they were talking about?"

"Uh-huh, well actually, it's more like, I know what Daniel's hearing," she explained more generally.

"So whatever he's experiencing, you do too."

"To an extent yes, I mean, I can stop listening to his conversations and eavesdropping into his experiences, but I know what he's feeling at all times."

"What's he feeling now?"

"He was a bit frustrated with Jack before, but now he's interested in what we're talking about."

"He's listening to us."

"Yes, you don't mind do you?"

"Um...no...just don't mention it again."

"Alright, he's actually offering to go to sleep and stop listening."

"Oh, then, it's up to you, I guess."

'This must be strange for you."

"It must be more strange for you," then remembering that the Princess had had this ability all her life added, "well, for Daniel anyway."

"It was at first, he's used to it now."

"Oh."

"Could I talk to you about something? Woman to woman?"

"Um...sure, what is it? Is Daniel asleep."

"Yes, he's fallen asleep. I've just been wondering ever since I got here. Where do I stand?"

"What do you mean?"

"Before the destruction of Terra, I was Princess and my father the Emperor. After, when I believed all was lost, I became a part of you're team. And I'm grateful to you for it. And now, I don't know where I stand."

"Valeska I'm sure that you're welcome as a member of the team, I mean, I know that if you decide to stay with us you can."

"That's good to know Sam, because, now that Kaspar and my father are ruling together, I'm not sure if they want me their princess or just as their Emperor's long-lost daughter."

Sam was unable to respond, not knowing what to say, she gave her a reassuring look.

Valeska smiled back in response.

"What about Daniel?"

"What do you mean?"

"You two are in love, I mean...the whole bond between you, would you be able to live apart?"

"I hadn't considered that matter. It's just something that neither of us thought about."

"Never?"

"No, not really, telling you about it was completely unplanned."

"Life can be that way I guess."

"Unplanned?"

"Yeah."

Valeska thought on the matter for a second, "Well then, why plan at all? When it comes to making a decision I'll make it...if I think about it I'll just confuse myself. As long as it's an informed decision I think I'll be fine."

"And you know all the facts?"

"Yes, I'm pretty sure I do."

Sam didn't reply, she pondered her friend's words for a moment. Valeska watched Sam as she did so.

She turned the lamp off and said, "Good-night Sam."

"Good-night."

"Why do people on other planets always insist on eating together?"

"In most cultures, Jack, food is the - "

"Forget I asked."

They sat at a large table within Nathaniel's Palace-House. He sat at the head of the table and Valeska and Kaspar sat to either side. Daniel and Jack sat by Valeska and across from them were Sam and Teal'c. Other than the periodic whispering of Jack's complaints the table was quiet.

"This meat here," said Jack as he held up a piece on his fork, "What is it exactly?"

'Bacon," replied Kaspar.

"Bacon you say?" He eyed the unfamiliar food carefully, "Let me guess...name's the same but the pig isn't?"

"No, it is not, but the species is quite similar."

"And the animal was named in remembrance of Terra?"

"Yes, it was."

"Yeah."

The table was silent once again.

Nathaniel watched his daughter and her new love carefully. Valeska had noticed and in turn, so had Daniel. She debated with herself whether or not to say something about it. Daniel decided to stay out of the internal argument until asked for an opinion.

"Father why are you staring at us?" That was sudden, even Daniel was surprised. Nathaniel looked down for a moment, raising his eyebrows and bringing and expression of worry to his face. He regained his neutral expression and replied, "I am sorry, daughter, but I still have trouble accepting that is really you."

Still?"

"Yes, but believe me, I am happy to see you, and to have you back."

"You'll have me back?"

Alarmed by the beginnings of an obviously private conversation everyone else excused themselves - Even Daniel didn't eavesdrop.

"Of course Valeska. Just because we no longer share a bond, does not mean that you are no longer my daughter and the Princess of Terra."

"New Terra," she corrected absentmindedly.

"Yes, New Terra."

"What about Kaspar?"

"Kaspar? He has never wanted to be anything more than a shopkeeper!"

"Father, last I saw him, he was a powerful industrialist."

"Here, he wants nothing more than a small shop and a simple life."

"He still wants nothing to do with the throne?"

"No, he has only helped because of circumstances, he knew the consequences of someone outside of the family taking over while you and I were gone. He also understood that we had no time for political complications, that is the only reason he stepped up. All you have to say is that you will stay and he will step down without question." The Emperor paused and reconsidered his words and his daughter's expression. "Will you stay Valeska?"

"I don't know father."

"The people of Earth have been good to you."

"Yes father, and I've become very good friends with them, they have become a part of my life."

"As we once were a part of your life."

"I want to stay with you father. But I also want to stay with them. I long for both and cannot decide which I want and need."

"You have your love."

"Even then father, nothing seems to work. I cannot leave you here, and I cannot leave him."

"You cannot, or you will not?"

Valeska looked up at her father, knowing that there was a hidden meaning behind them. She would have to think about his words to understand them; it was so unusual for her to not be able to grasp the meaning of her father's silent advice. He understood this, as he felt the same way. The Emperor excused himself to leave her with her thoughts.

It was late summer and winter came quickly on New Terra. Harvesting season had begun. Jack was welcomed help. Valeska came up behind Jack, "Hello!"

He jumped slightly, "Don't do that!"

"Sorry." She began helping him as he returned to work.

Sam and Mather had gone to work early on the Stargate. Daniel went along to help with a few translations written all over the power source. After the discovery that they were Goa'uld Teal'c had gone as well. "So how come you're not with Daniel?"

"Um, I don't really need to be there."

"Oh."

"I mean they already have two translators."

"Yeah."

"And Daniel will just ask me if he needs to."

Jack quickly made an attempt to change the subject. "Should we be worried that the Goa'uld were here?"

"No, not really. I mean, they probably left long ago and obviously they haven't made any attempt to fix the gate, so I doubt they're planning to come back."

"So..."

"So..."

"You're the Princess."

"My father wants me to be."

"Oh, does that mean..."

"I don't know what it means."

"Well, whatever you decide, you know," he stopped working and stopped her as well. For a bit he looked uncomfortable with his words and rubbed his nose. "I want you to know that you're a welcome member of the team. And if you decide to stay here, you'll be missed."

"Oh, well, thank you for," Valeska stumbled over her own words for a moment, "for saying that."

Jack smiled briefly and returned to what he was doing, as did she.

"Did Sam talk to you by any chance?"

"About you?"

"Yes"

"She may have dropped a hint."

"Just a hint?"

"Yeah, so I had to blackmail her into spilling it."

"Oh, so I can forgive her then..."

"I think you turn this doo-hickey to the right and it should open...like this!" Daniel stepped back admiring his work.

"Daniel Jackson, the process would have been much quicker if you had let me tell you the meanings of the symbols."

"But it wouldn't have been as fun."

"We don't have time for fun Daniel," said Sam as she went to work on the machinery with Mather.

"Sorry, so Teal'c do you want to tell me the technical terms?"

"I will Daniel Jackson, but it seems we are no longer needed here."

"Hey guys, do you need us?"

Mather turned around, "It'd be great if one of you could stay."

"Then I will take my leave," Teal'c bowed slightly and left the three scientists to their processes.

He walked into the fields and spotted O'Neill working along side Valeska. He made his way towards them, seeing that the Terranians could use all the help they could get. He was half way there, when Laveda Zane came up to them and walked off with O'Neill. Teal'c made note of this and kept heading in Valeska's direction.

"Hey Teal'c," she shouted as he came closer.

"Princess Ari." He joined her in her work where O'Neill had left off.

"You insist on calling me that."

"As I have always called you."

"Yes, it seems different now."

"It is your title as it always has been."

"I lost that title when my world was destroyed."

There was a slight pause as Teal'c silently considered this. "Where have Laveda Zane and O'Neill gone?"

"Oh, fishing. It seems to be a mutual interest - Their favorite hobby." "Indeed."

They worked for some more time in silence. Both were satisfied with and intent on keeping their minds on their work. At times they were unaware of each other's presence. After a few hours they both stopped, exhausted from the demands of physical labor. They began walking back to the town and to Nathaniel's home.

"Princess Ari."

"Yes Teal'c?"

"Your name means Glorious Ruler, does it not?"

"Yes," she replied, surprised by the fact that he remembered.

"Then, in fact, you have never lost your title."

Valeska tried to make sense of this and remembered their conversation from earlier. "That may not mean anything to the people on this planet."

"They are your people," he stated matter-of-factly.

"They were my people."

"I have heard many rumors, Princess Ari, and I am certain that you are mistaken."

"How so?"

"They believe that you have come back to rule with your father and release Lord Kaspar of his ties to the throne."

"Really?"

"Indeed."

"So they do want me back."

"You thought otherwise?"

"Yes I did actually."

"Do you intend to stay on Terra?"

"I don't know," she stated and then smiled and asked half-jokingly, "What do you think I should do?"

Teal'c replied in a tone more serious than she had intended. "The decision is yours, and I will not interfere." Then he came to a stop in his tracks, she slowed and stopped as well. "In the past year, I have come to respect you as a formidable and capable member of our team and I have come to value your companionship. If you do indeed decide to stay with your people it will be a great loss for SG-1 and myself."

She smiled and replied, "Thank you Teal'c, I feel the same way. I have gained the utmost respect for you in my time with the SGC."

He nodded his acknowledgement and in the same gesture he acknowledged his respect for her. They continued the rest of the way in silence.

Upon their arrival they found that their friends had already made it back from their day of work.

"Great news gang," announced Jack as he saw them arrive, "Sam and Mather have managed to fix the gate, and we're going home tomorrow morning."

"As planned," added Sam, "the SGC will be expecting us."

Teal'c looked to Valeska for her reaction and everyone else followed suit as if expecting an answer. She took a deep breath and stated, "I have something to say to all of you. Where are Kaspar and my father?"

The abrupt change in subject startled them. "They arrived with us after an assembly, they should be in the next room, I'll send for them," replied Mather. They arrived shortly and Valeska continued, "I have to say something to all of you."

At that instant Daniel walked out of the room and out of the house. She did not turn to follow him, instead she paused briefly, then continued, "It's strange, my entire life changed within the course of two days when Terra was destroyed. And now, it will change once again within the shot time."

"Daughter, speak clearly, does this mean...?"

"I am staying here father. I am staying with you."

Sam, Jack and Teal'c had been expecting as much, they were not as surprised as the Terranians at having heard this. The three stood aside, almost feeling rejected as her father and old friends embraced her and she began to cry. They realized that those tears were a result of her mixed emotions and that she felt she had to do this.

Once the rejoicing was over, Valeska left them wordlessly and without explanation. She was going after Daniel.

She walked up the hill, away from the town and towards the Stargate. She could see his figure seated a few meters away from the DHD; she could sense him looking at her. Valeska sat down beside him and took a moment to witness the view. It was near sunset and the street lamps were being lighted. She watched them being lighted one by one, and he watched with her. When the last of the lamps were lit the town gleamed and still teamed with activity. The town hall was also lit. Valeska thought that her father and Kaspar are probably holding an assembly.

//They're probably announcing that you'll be staying//

Valeska was surprised by the sudden thought.

//Maybe//

//I know I'm being selfish//

//I am too//

//You have every right to stay with them, they're your people//

//And you have every right to be mad. You are my love//

"I don't suppose that if I ask you to stay you will?" He said aloud, finding that there was no need for secrecy because no one was around.

She turned to him, "No, I'm afraid not." She felt so sick turning him down. //Maybe if you ask enough times, I'll give in//

"I don't think I'll be able to forgive myself then."

"I'm sorry," she whispered. Daniel barely heard her words.

"I know, and I understand."

He truly understood, but still didn't want her to leave him. He didn't want to leave her and couldn't imagine life without her. Still he understood that she had to stay with her people and with her family. Valeska left him with his thoughts and went back to her father's home. 'Well, it's my home now, isn't it?' she thought to herself as she slipped unnoticed into her shared room. Sam came in a while later. She said nothing more than a casual, "Hi." Sam prepared for tomorrow's departure and Valeska prepared for bed.

There was a knock at the door.

Sam walked up to the door and opened it slightly. She had a brief conversation with the person on the other side after which she left the room. Daniel walked in and closed the door behind him. Valeska rose and moved towards him. No words were spoken. No thoughts were exchanged. They simply felt. There was a need and desire to be together - to be close. Unsure of their actions, they moved with hesitation. Eventually their movements became more fluid and they were lost in each other's embrace.

"Father's throwing a feast tonight for me, I wish you would stay."

"Nah, besides, they're expecting us at the SGC."

"Oh."

"It won't be the same without you."

"You survived without me for a while, you'll learn to do it again." Valeska smiled at Jack as he waited for Daniel to dial the address to Earth.

"You'll visit us."

"Of course."

"And you'll write."

She smiled again, "That may be difficult, I don't think I know of any inter-planetary postal service."

The Gate whooshed open behind him.

"Looks like you're flights ready for departure."

"Yeah, I'll be seeing you soon."

"Whenever my work permits it."

Jack turned and waited for the rest of the team to say goodbye.

"Good-byes suck," she said to Sam and Teal'c. Daniel waited by the DHD.

"Indeed, they are unpleasant."

"Yeah," said Sam.

"But, since our worlds are allies, I will undoubtedly by seeing you soon."

"Of course."

Sam hugged her and both women held back slight tears at the pain of being separated form their team member. And as she did, she murmured, "It's back to being the only girl on the team."

Valeska smiled and whispered back, "I think you'll survive."

Teal'c bowed slightly, "We will see each other again Princess Ari."

Valeska threw her arms around him unexpectedly. Teal'c stiff body loosened for a moment and let her embrace him. He returned to his stance once she let go. "It'll be different, and I'll miss you."

"Ditto on our part."

Sam and Teal'c joined Jack. He and Daniel exchanged glances, indicating that he would need a few moments alone with her.

They stood together, knowing that it would be difficult for them to be this close again for a long while. They kissed.

"At night, I will come here and search for you."

"I'll try my hardest to be found, wherever I might be."

"Remember, high places."

"Don't worry."

"Tonight, come to the top of Cheyenne Mountain."

"I will."

She sighed and looked melancholic. They kissed once again. Daniel turned towards the Stargate. As he walked through he turned once again to catch a last glimpse of her. He disappeared into the watery illusion and then it dissipated behind him.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to valaika