Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Beginning of a Beautiful Friendship (Part III), The

by Valaika
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
The Beginning of a Beautiful Friendship (Part III)

The Beginning of a Beautiful Friendship (Part III)

by Valaika

Title: The Beginning of a Beautiful Friendship (Part III)
Author: Valaika
Email: valaika@thevortex.com
Category: Series, Romance
Pairing: Daniel/other
Spoilers: none
Season: 4
This story is a sequel to: part 3 of a series
Rating: PG
Content Warnings: none, none, just some romance
Summary: SG-1 takes a vacation
Status: Completed
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. We have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the authors. Not to be archived without permission of the authors.

THE BEGINNING OF A BEAUTIFUL FRIENDSHIP (PART III)

Sitting around in the briefing room, waiting for General Hammond to arrive, after another routine mission - finding squat, Valeska reflected on the events of the past six months. Her whole world had been destroyed, everyone she loved was lost, yet, that empty feeling that she had felt for what seemed like an eternity had faded. She had found friends, new friends who were much like her old friends. In the General she found a calm authority figure much like her father. No, they could still never replace them. But at times, she felt...she felt as if she had a bond with at least one of them. From nowhere she'd feel sympathy, or pain, or joy, or excitement, they weren't her own feelings, they were someone else's, or, maybe, the combined emotions of her whole team.

The General came in.

"We found squat," said Jack.

"Excuse me?"

"Nothing, natta, just trees, and mud, and tress, and swamp, and trees."

"I see, well then, SG-1, it has occurred to me, that you have not had any vacation time in quite a while."

"Oh, we've had vacations, they've just been cut short by some friends."

"You know, it seems," interrupted Sam, "That we spend most of our time here."

"We spend all of our time here," said Daniel, "Valeska hasn't seen anything of Earth, other than Cheyenne Mountain and she's been here for six months now."

Valeska looked up, "You're right," she was very surprised, "I haven't the slightest idea what's outside these walls."

"Well, I'm giving you some well deserved leave," confirmed the General.

"You mean I can finally teach Teal'c how to fish?" Jack slapped his comrade on the back, receiving in turn a stern look, well, it might have been stern, and Jack couldn't tell, "Sorry."

"Sir," Sam spoke up, "I was wondering if it would be okay for me to spend some time with my dad, off-world."

"It's fine with me, Major, as long as the Tok'ra have no problem with it." She nodded in return.

"Daniel?" Jack looked at him across the table.

He looked up, "Yes?"

"What are you going to do?" He received a suspicious look, "I mean, you know all of our plans."

"I was thinking, I could show Valeska around, if that would be okay."

"That would be wonderful," she exclaimed.

* * * * *

Sam contacted the Tok'ra, thankfully they had recently contacted them, and so their whereabouts were at present known. And even more thankfully, they weren't planning on moving again for some time, so it would be all right to visit her father, although they would have preferred that he visit her on Earth, but he would be needed. Jack set off to his long-awaited fishing trip with Teal'c. On the way, he tried desperately to explain the meaning of "fly-fishing." Before leaving he left Daniel the keys to his house, he would need someone to housesit and it's not like Daniel's small apartment had room for a guest. All was well with the world, for once, SG-1 finally got to have complete and fulfilling vacations.

* * * * *

"You call this a mall?" asked Valeska as they walked through a throng of people.

"Yes, we do."

"Why?"

"Um, I, I don't know why. What do you call it?"

"Well a collection of stores, indoors or out, was called a bazaar where I come from."

"It's also a place where people socialize."

"As is any place where there is so much activity."

She was carrying quite a few packages filled with wonderful purchases, "I must say, I'm enjoying this experience quite a bit."

"It seems that you are, but that's enough shopping for you. Now we move on to other experiences."

"But, Daniel, you haven't gotten anything for yourself!"

"I don't need to."

"And I do?"

"Yes."

Valeska smiled sheepishly, remembering that her wardrobe had thus far, consisted of military issue clothing - uniforms and stuff. Now she was wearing one of her purchases - Black leather pants with a red turtleneck and a brown leather jacket. "So, what else are you going to show me of this wonderful world?"

"A movie."

"A moo-vie? Does that have anything to do with cows?"

"So, *that* was a movie!" said Valeska as they walked out of the theater.

"Yes, did you like it?"

"It was nice, quite an experience, actually, we had something similar, except we called them, livales."

"Livales?"

"Yes, it came from 'living tales' - that's what they were called when the technology first came out."

"I see - we call them movies cause they're moving pictures."

"I see."

* * * * *

Teal'c sat patiently, much too patiently on the small dock. Jack stared at him. They hadn't caught anything for hours now. How could he just sit there? Teal'c observed the water, and suddenly turned to Jack, "O'Neill, would it not be more efficient to wade into the water and simply catch the fish instead of using this string on a pole?"

Ah, finally he says something, and it has to be impossible, like anything else he says. Jack ventured, "Well, Teal'c, the thing is, fish are faster than most people. So they try to trick the fish into going after the bait and catching it that way. Besides it's a sport and it's more relaxing this way."

He raised his ever-conspicuous eyebrow, "As a young boy on Chulak, I often caught fish in that method; it is not so difficult O'Neill."

Was - was he bragging? Jack couldn't tell, nevertheless, he challenged him, "Well, old man, let's see it."

"What is it that you would like to see O'Neill?"

Jack put down his fishing pole and looked at Teal'c daringly with a mischievous smile. "I would like to see, you in that water, and I would like to see you catch a fish as you did when you were a boy on Chulak."

Teal'c looked at the stream, carefully assessing the situation, then back at Jack, "Very well, O'Neil."

Jack followed as Teal'c walked off the small dock and round to the shore of the stream. He watched as Teal'c removed his shoes, jacket and hat and waded into the water until it was waist deep. He stood very still, Jack watched with amusement registering on his face. Teal'c still stood after about a minute and already Jack was getting bored. Suddenly and swiftly his hands swooped downwards into the water, and then he took himself under as well. Jack looked over into the water trying to find his any sign of movement, but he couldn't. He rose out of the water as abruptly as he had gone under right in front of Jack, who jumped back.

"God, Teal'c, you could give a guy a heart attack!"

When Teal'c had come further out of the water, he had not one but two fish, one in each hand, "Here you are O'Neill," he said handed them to the flabbergasted man, "Did I not say it would be more efficient?"

"Son of a -" he looked up at Teal'c, who slightly smiled and bowed.

* * * * *

The wormhole whooshed open, the iris closed. Alarms blared as Major Carter and General Hammond arrived. "It's the Tok'ra," said a man at the console.

"Open the iris," commanded the General.

Then he and Carter stepped into the Gate room to greet them.

"What's going on?" asked the General.

"I don't know sir, I informed them that I would be arriving later today."

A group of people arrived through the gate. Sam recognized two of them immediately as Anise and her father. She went up to them and gave her father a great big hug. They exchanged formalities. Sam had already prepared herself to spend some time with the Tok'ra, an undoubtedly interesting experience, when she was informed that they had a sudden change of heart.

"I'm coming with you," said her father.

"What?"

"Well, we think that you might feel uncomfortable, with the Tok'ra around."

"More like the Tok'ra would feel uncomfortable me with around," she murmured under her breath.

So she and her father spent the time on Earth. After some vague explanations they left the base, and went to Sam's place. It seemed that

father-daughter bonding would have to take place in a more familiar environment.

* * * * *

Valeska walked into Jack's dark house and Daniel walked in behind her. They were dressed in formal clothing and Valeska was smiling uncontrollably. It had been the most wonderful evening. She didn't stop to turn on the lights but went straight to the guest room - where she was staying. Daniel watched her and wondered why she was in such a hurry. He went to the nearest lamp and turned it on. Then he murmured, "It's cold in here," and proceeded to the fireplace.

Valeska came back holding something behind her back, "Ah, a roaring fire, lovely," she said to Daniel as she walked up to him. She looked down at her feet.

He smiled, "What is it?"

She looked back up and her face was sincere, "I wanted to thank you."

"For what?"

She brought out her hands from her back and held a small box. She offered it to him, "for today, for yesterday, for the past two weeks, for the past six months, for being a friend."

He looked at her, a bit confused. She prompted him and he began opening it. He lifted a silver chain with a small amulet out of it.

"It's brought me luck," she explained, "and great comfort in my times of need."

"Valeska, I - I don't know what to say," he held it in his palm and examined it, "I appreciate it, but it's important to you, I couldn't...I can't accept it."

"No, you can. I no longer need it Daniel, not anymore, not with a friend like you." She closed his palm over the chain and held his hands with hers.

"Thank you," he brought his own hand to hold both of hers.

After a moment of silence Valeska's hands slipped away from his, "I'm going to go and put this away," he said.

"It's meant for you to wear, not store, Daniel." She smiled infectiously so that his gaze fell to the floor as he smiled as well.

He put the chain on and continued examining the amulet, "This says-"

"'Have courage, if nothing else.'"

"It's beautiful, where did you get it?"

Valeska examined his face for a second and replied, "At my first dig, back on Terra. It's Babylonian."

He looked at it again and recognized the similarities.

"So, we're going back to the base tomorrow?"

"Yes, Jack and Teal'c are coming in the morning and we'll leave for the base in the evening together."

"I see," she sighed.

"Is something wrong?"

"Not really, I was just enjoying myself, and now it ends."

"Well, it doesn't have to end right away."

She looked at him, "What do you mean?"

He turned on some music ballroom music he found in Jack's collection of CD's, "Traditionally, when a man takes a woman out to a formal dinner, it is accompanied by dancing."

"Dinner and dancing, how quaint."

"And I've just realized that we missed out on the dancing part."

"I see."

He extended he hand, and she accepted. They began twirl and step together. "You're wonderful at this," commented Valeska.

"So are you."

"I'm a princess, I have to be."

They laughed lightly as they continued. The music slowed as it progressed. Soon, they found themselves swaying each other's arms. The melody died away; they stood still together. The only sounds to be heard were their steady breathing and the crackling fire. Daniel stared into her olive-green eyes glowing in the fire's warmth and she gazed into his. Her black tresses shone. Both stood together expectantly and time was without end.

His hand made it's way to her cheek, and gently caressed it while moving aside a strand of hair. She stared at him confusedly, not fully understanding what was happening. He pulled her close and she responded with a slight intake of breath. She peered deeper into the blue mists within his eyes. It seemed, that he was mystified as well. Both were lost in a dream-like state. Somehow they drew close enough to kiss.

Valeska suddenly felt - she felt conscious. She pulled away and turned, his arms still held her and she held them in front of her. Again he brushed aside her locks and slightly stroked her neck. He felt his own neck tingle but ignored the feeling and spun her around. He kissed her again. Valeska responded and returned his kiss with a deeper more passionate one. She let go and brought her hands from around his neck to his chest and stayed close. Her head rested on his shoulder and as she breathed on his chest, she felt a breeze against her own.

She had only felt like this once before, was it possible? She didn't know what to think, Kearney was gone. How long had it been, she could no longer remember. Daniel clouded her mind; all of her thoughts were of him. He drew her face up with a look of concern - no - she felt his concern, his worry and confusion. What was happening?

The realization dawned on her, "It was you," she whispered. She looked up at him intensely. He barely heard her but immediately understood. Back on Cronus's planet, they were saving her father and she fell. She was saddened and he felt for her. She felt him.

Valeska's eyes watered, but she didn't cry. Her thoughts turned to Kearney, her love for him and the first time she had ever felt this way. They shared a bond. Daniel and Valeska shared a bond. She felt confusion and guilt and Daniel was distressed by it. He held her closer still now, took her to the couch and sat beside her. He stroked her hair soothingly murmuring reassurance, "No, no, it's okay," he kept whispering.

Daniel was in love. He had never recognized it. The way he felt around her, she was a good friend. When did all of this happen? They didn't even know they were in love, and suddenly this bond? Valeska and Kearney had long been in love before they even begun to vaguely feel each other. She felt she had betrayed him somehow, by not only falling in love with another man - but becoming telepathically linked to him as well. It was only ever meant to be shared with one person, forever. He fully understood what she was going through, not only because of the bond, but because he had his own loss to get over - but he had had so much more time.

He tried to think, how he could put into words what he wanted to communicate to her. It was okay, he understood. They didn't have to even acknowledge their love if she wasn't ready for it.

//I know// he heard her. //But we can't just ignore it//

"How did you do that?" he asked a loud.

//You'll learn in time, I've had more time to practice//

A flashing image of Kearney passed his mind, trying to control his thoughts to Valeska as she giggled delightedly; he smiled in sync with her.

"Kearney had trouble learning."

//He barely got the chance//

He tried to console her pain, but she was emotionally stronger than him and if anything, she helped him get over her pain. Although, he wasn't sure how she managed to do so. He was never sure what really happened that night. There were just some vague recollections of how he felt and maybe, of how she felt. Remedied by each other's comfort, they fell asleep.

* * * * *

It was five in the morning when Jack and Teal'c arrived. They walked in quietly suspecting that Valeska and Daniel would most probably be asleep. Their suspicions where proved to be correct when they found the two together on the couch. Jack eyed them quietly for a second. He made a note of the fact that they hadn't changed out of last night's clothes. Wild night for the archeologists, he thought to himself with a smirk.

Teal'c put their stuff into a convenient corner for the time being and stood beside Jack and calmly asked, "Should we wake them O'Neill?"

"Nah! Let them sleep, looks like they've had a wild night."

"Daniel Jackson appears to be resting in an uncomfortable position O'Neill."

He examined them again; yes he was in an uncomfortable position. Daniel was sitting. He had one arm around Valeska and the other dangled uselessly over the armrest. His head lulled forward over hers. She lay quite comfortably in his lap holding on to his arm. Jack sat down on the coffee table in front of them, "We should move her to the bedroom."

Teal'c looked at Jack and bowed slightly. He then proceeded to pick up Valeska effortlessly and carried her in to the guestroom. Meanwhile Jack stirred Daniel and coaxed him into a more comfortable position. Then he picked up some of his belongings from the corner and started to put them in his room. He met Teal'c in the hallway, "I'm just going to put this stuff away and get some rest; you should too." Teal'c bowed again and walked into the living room. Jack watched him leave and decided that he would have a talk with Daniel.

* * * * *

Daniel woke up. He was conscious but unaware of his current situation. He squinted in an effort to open his eyes. He groaned slightly and remembered the night's happenings. Valeska - she had been beside him. She had been in his arms. He sat up and rubbed his eyes, opening them at last. Where was she? He looked around the room and instead he found Teal'c in front of the fireplace, in a state of Kel'noreem. They came back, they were going to come in the morning, but he had forgotten how early. He checked his watch; it was six thirty.

He left Teal'c to his meditation and headed towards the guestroom in an effort to find Valeska. He opened the door softly and it creaked loudly. He stared at it accusingly and then gazed in. She was there sleeping peacefully. He walked towards the bed and once there knelt down beside it. A soft light flew in through the windows across from the bed onto her face, her beautiful face. The sheets were pulled down to her waist. It was such a delicate body; she was undoubtedly shorter than Sam. He'd seen her in action though light and swift on her feet and much stronger than she looked. But now, as she slept, all of that seemed so uncharacteristic. She could never possibly cause harm to anyone else, she seemed so vulnerable in such peace. He could watch her sleep all day. Her chest rose and fell lightly as she breathed. She was wearing a night suit she purchased during her shopping spree. It was a pink laced tank top and pajamas made of satin. The soft fabric stayed close to her body and smoothly moved as she did. One arm lay across her stomach and the other lay across her forehead.

He brushed a strand of hair away from her face and she stirred. She turned towards him and lay on her side. He watched her for a few minutes when he noticed Jack standing in the doorway. He looked at Valeska once more and walked back towards Jack. "Breakfast?" he asked. "Sure," replied Daniel and they walked off to the kitchen together. Once there, Daniel sat down at the dinning table and Jack went on to the refrigerator. He got some eggs out and began to cook them. "So what's the deal?"

"Hmm?" Daniel replied absentmindedly.

"You and Valeska."

"Oh, that." He thought for a minute. It wasn't clear to him whether or not Valeska was okay with telling other people about their bond. "I think, um, I think I'm in love with her," he said matter-of-factly.

"Really?"

"Yeah."

Jack came to the table and set a plate of eggs and toast in front of him. He sat down with his own plate. "So, she likes you too?" He waved vaguely in Valeska's direction with his fork.

"Yeah, I think she does."

"You think she does?"

"Okay, I know she does."

"Did she say," he waved his fork around again and found the proper word, "that?"

She didn't have to, neither did he. They just knew. "No, she didn't."

"Okay," he continued eating, seeing that Daniel wasn't in the mood to talk about it. If he needed to, it would come out on its own.

After a few moments of silence Daniel spoke up, "So how'd your trip go?"

"It was good, I taught Teal'c a thing or two about fishing," he said looking down at his plate.

"Really?"

"And he may have tried to teach me as well."

A smile crept across Daniel's features, "Did either of you succeed?"

"Not really, but we still managed to catch a few big ones. We ate them there."

"Who cooked?"

"Teal'c."

"Really?"

"Yeah, he's pretty good you know."

"Probably better than you," he made it obvious that the eggs were being eaten only because he was really hungry.

"Good Morning Daniel Jackson," said Teal'c as he walked in.

"Good morning Teal'c."

"You hungry?" asked Jack.

"I am not in need of sustenance, O'Neill." He sat down with them on the table, "I will join you nonetheless." He looked at them both, almost

expectantly. Neither said anything. Instead, they continued to eat and took to examining their meal.

Daniel suddenly remembered something, "Sam's coming over later."

"Is she not on the Tok'ra home world?"

"Um, no, they came here after you left and they said it would be better if she stayed here with her father."

"Figures," mumbled Jack.

"Well, I think he left yesterday and she's coming here around ten - said something about spending the day together as a team."

Jack finished up and set his plate in the sink, "Well, I'm going to take a shower and get rid of the fish smell that I've acquired over the past few days."

"I will wash after you, O'Neill."

"Maybe you should go first, I think you need to more than I do."

Teal'c regarded him for a second. Jack smiled innocently, "perhaps you are right O'Neill," he bowed and left them.

* * * * *

The two men sat on the couch watching TV. Teal'c came up behind them, "O'Neill you may go and bathe now."

Jack was startled by his unexpected voice. "Thanks Teal'c." He got up and headed to his room.

Teal'c sat down and inquired, "Daniel Jackson, what is it that you are watching?"

"Um, Sunday morning cartoons."

"Do not all 'cartoons' show on Saturday mornings?"

"No, a lot of cartoons do come on Saturdays, but there are quite a few that come on Sundays as well."

"Has Princess Valeska awakened yet?"

"No, she hasn't, we should let her sleep at least until Sam gets here."

Teal'c said no more and sat down on the couch next to Daniel and intently observed a blue cat chasing a red mouse with a bowtie. A strange people these Tau'ri, how is it that they subject their children to such violence, between simple household creatures yet.

"I'm going to make myself some coffee, do you want some?" said Daniel as he got up off the sofa.

"No, thank you, Daniel Jackson."

* * * *

Three men, all washed, ready to go, with nowhere to go sat on the couch watching cartoons. It was quite a sight. The door was open so Sam walked in without knocking. She stood on the side for a minute, watching the cartoon herself. Then Valeska walked in as well, she was groggy-eyed and still in her night suit. They looked at each other knowingly. Both simultaneously thinking "men!" "Such children," Valeska voiced the thought, even Teal'c, thought Sam.

They turned around when they heard her. Teal'c rose and gave his trademark bow acknowledging the arrival of both women, "You are awake Princess Valeska."

"Yes, I am, good morning Teal'c."

"Sleeping Beauty decided to join us."

"Yes, I did, and I'm really hungry, I suppose you've eaten already?"

"Yes, we have," replied Jack in a singsong voice.

"What time did you get here?"

"Five."

"And when did you wake up?" She looked in Daniel's direction.

"Six thirty."

"And who moved me?"

"Teal'c."

"When did you change?" asked Daniel.

"I think I woke up at some time after Teal'c moved me, and I was uncomfortable so I changed, and now I'm going to the kitchen to see if there's anything worth eating, any one want to join me?"

"Oh, I brought bagels, if you want," said Sam, "There's enough for everybody."

"No, thanks, we've eaten," said Daniel.

"But, Teal'c hasn't."

"Thank you Major Carter, but I am not in need of nourishment at the moment."

"Okay, then, let's go." She and Valeska left the boys to their cartoons.

* * * * *

Daniel walked into the kitchen as the two women chatted about their vacations. He figured as much and wondered if Valeska had said anything to Sam.

//Just a bit, but not much//

He then felt a bit guilty as he recalled Jack's questioning and his own vague responses.

//It's okay. I think we can talk about it to our close friends//

About the bond?

//I'm still not sure about what's happening, just no official announcement, okay?//

Okay.

Sam watched the two staring at each other, assuming that they may feel a bit uncomfortable about the happenings of the night before. "I'll just go out to the living room and yeah...I'll go."

"It's okay Sam, you don't have to leave. We're fine."

Just then Jack and Teal'c walked in. They discussed their plans for the day. Sam pointed out that she was expecting simply to spend the day at the mall then the evening at their usual water hole.

"The mall!" Valeska jumped up with excitement and ran to get dressed and go.

Jack looked after her, "Women, so compulsive."

"I heard that!" she called back.

* * * * *

And so ended SG-1's holiday. Gosh, I hope I'll be able to write a part four soon! But as soon as I get my thoughts straight I will...I hope...anyways. If you're curious about what happened later that day. Danny got drunk after one bottle - what else is new? Valeska managed to keep control over him though. Although everyone, even Teal'c suspects something; no one really knows what's happened. It's pretty obvious to everyone, that they're a couple...or at least that they like each other...but nothing more. That's to be seen in part four...so hang on!

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Valaika