Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

The Devil Scorned

by KaraB
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
"Great, sand, sand, and more sand." Jack commented as SG-1 arrived on planet P4X-0614.



"The environmental reports which we provided prior to our arrival stated that." Martouf said.



Jack grinned, "I knew I forgot to do something."



"You forgot to read a report? How is that possible?" Daniel teased.



"Well, what can I say? I usually like to get more than a day's notice when we have to deal with the Tok'Ra. That way I have the time to prepare myself for the worst."



Martouf and Aldwin, who had both been assigned to the mission, ignored Jack's comments.



The two Tok'Ra had arrived the day before requesting that SG-1 accompany them to the planet. It was being investigated as a possible new home world for the Tok'Ra. General Hammond had been reluctant at first, but had relented.



"Why are we here again?" asked Daniel.



"I believed that the Tok'Ra wished for us to aid them in choosing a new world, as we are their allies, DanielJackson."



"Allies being a relative term, Teal'C." Jack added.



Aldwin spoke, "We would be able to cover more ground if we split up."



Jack looked annoyed but spoke, "Carter, take Teal'C and Marty and check out that direction, and Aldwin, Daniel and I will look this way."



After the group had split, Jack turned to Aldwin, "Now, why don't you tell us what we're really doing here?"



"As I stated earlier, we are merely here to investigate the possibility of using this world as our new base."



Jack rolled his eyes, "Riiiiiight."



Daniel interrupted, "Jack did you hear that?"



Jack pulled his gun up, scanning the area and Aldwin placed a hand on his zat gun.



"There's nothing here, Daniel."



"No, I heard something."



"As did I, Colonel O'Neill," added Aldwin.



"Well, you wanna tell me what you think it is . . ."



"I do not know. It originates from that direction." Aldwin pointed straight ahead.



They cautiously began moving in that direction, when Jack's radio crackled.



Sam's voice echoed over it, "Sir, we're heading back to the StarGate."



"Okay Carter, we'll meet you there."



"We should attempt to determine where the sound is from." Aldwin said.



"We'll take a quick look around and then we're leaving, at least Daniel and I are."



Aldwin nodded and surprised Jack by not attempting to argue the point.



They had only gone a few feet before Jack finally heard the sound. The group stopped, "What the heck is that?" Jack wondered.



"Look." Daniel pointed at a smooth surface, covered with writing. They moved to stand on top of it.



"What does it say Daniel?"



"I'm not sure . . ." he squinted his eyes, thinking. "Jack," realization dawned on Daniel's face, but it was too late - a set of transport rings had activated, trapping the group within them.



***********************



Sam arrived at the Gate, followed by Martouf and Teal'C, who brought up the rear.



"Samantha, this world looks most promising. I am sure that Aldwin will agree with me."



She smiled, "I'm glad the Tok'Ra will finally have a new base." Sam looked in the direction Jack and Daniel had gone, "They should be here any minute."



Five minutes later showed no sign of them. Sam spoke into her radio, "Colonel O'Neill."



No response.



"Something has happened to them, Major Carter. They should have returned by now." Sam could hear the worry in Teal'C's voice.



"That is not possible. There is nothing on this world, save what you see." Martouf objected.



"Or there wasn't the last time you were here."



"MajorCarter, we should alert General Hammond of the situation."



Sam nodded in response, "Dial Earth, Teal'C"



***********************



Jack, Daniel and Aldwin found themselves in an empty room.



"What exactly did that thing say?"



Daniel looked sheepish, "It was a warning to all who step on the seal."



"For cryin' out loud!" Jack said, exasperated.



"For what reason is there a warning, Dr. Jackson?" inquired Aldwin.



"It didn't say."





"You." Jack pointed at Aldwin, "See if you can find a way to have the rings transport us out of here."



"I do not see any control mechanism, Colonel O'Neill."



Ignoring Aldwin, Jack tried to use the radio which was unfortunately, very dead.



"Daniel, would you care to make an educated guess as to where we are?"



Daniel studied the room, "I really couldn't say Jack."



"Fine. Let's go." Jack marched over to the door on the far side of the room and yanked it open, and came face to face with what looked like nearly one hundred Jaffa.



***********************



Samantha Carter, Martouf, and Teal'C did not look happy as they stepped out of the Gate into the SGC. Sam didn't even wait for the Gate to close, "General, we really should do a search of the area . . ."



Hammond looked disturbed, "We can't."



"Why can we not General Hammond?" Teal'C asked.



"We're in the process of recalling all units. The Tok'Ra have detected a Goa'uld ship heading straight for their temporary base. They need our help with the evacuation."



"Who is it?" asked Sam.



"Apophis," answered another familiar voice.



"Dad! What are you doing here?"



"I was on a scout mission, we intercepted a transmission between Apophis and another unknown system lord - they are planning to attack Earth."



"And we need every available person here. You have no idea where Colonel O'Neill and Dr. Jackson are?" Hammond interrupted.



"No sir, they said they would meet us at the Gate. Sir, maybe Teal'C and I could return and look for a short time."



"I'm sorry, I can't allow that."



***********************



"I'm going to take a wild guess here and say that I picked the wrong door."



"It was the only door," said Aldwin as the Jaffa surrounded them.



"Lay down your weapons or you will die." One of the Jaffa intoned. Daniel and Aldwin slowly complied. Jack hesitated a moment, then realizing just how bad the odds were, very slowly laid his on the ground as well.



Another Jaffa came forward to gather the weapons, handing Aldwin's zat gun to the first Jaffa to speak and without any warning, shot Jack, Daniel and Aldwin.



***********************



Sam bit her lip worriedly as she watched the Gate open again, and more Tok'Ra came through. She kept hoping that one of these times the Gate would open and maybe Jack and Daniel would walk through it - it wasn't like them to be this late.



SG-1 had cheated death and chance many times and it was bound to someday catch up to them. She ferverently hoped that this wasn't that time.



***********************



Aldwin was the first to awaken. He sat up and found himself in a cell of some sort. O'Neill and Jackson, both still unconscious, lay nearby. He moved to check them - stunned but alive. The question now became - who had captured them? Something about this whole situation had set his usually calm symbiote ill at ease. And for some reason he knew it was more than just the normal anxiety that would come with this situation.



He was startled from his thoughts by the approach of a group of Jaffa. One of them opened the cell and pointing a staff weapon at him, stated "Tok'Ra, you will come with us."



Aldwin could see little use or point in resisting. Perhaps whatever lay before him would give him some answers, some information. He nodded and slowly stood. Two of the Jaffa grabbed his arms roughly, and he let them. This experience was likely to be harsh enough, no need to add to it up front.



***********************



Jack groaned and rolled onto his side. "Remind me to thank whoever owns this place for the lovely accommodations."



Sitting up, he reached over and shook Daniel, "Daniel, Rise and shine."



"Where are we Jack?"



"Aside from telling you that we're in a cell somewhere in the universe, I really have no idea."



Daniel looked around, "Where's Aldwin?"



Jack looked around, realizing for the first time that they were alone. "I don't know, but whoever had us didn't bother to take the radios. Or anything besides our weapons."



"That's odd."



"Yeah it is." Jack did not like this. Something about this whole situation was wrong . . .



"Jack, not that I'm complaining, but aren't we being treated rather well, so far?"



"Ya, and I'm sure there is a good reason - not that we'll like it much."



***********************



Aldwin was led into a throne room. A figure stood, back toward him.



"I understand that you were the one who destroyed Netu." The being turned, revealing the evil and surprisingly alive face of Sokar.



Aldwin did not respond to the statement, nor did he struggle against the two guards who forced him to his knees.



"I have made a deal with Apophis regarding your friends, but you shall remain here for a very long time. What is your name?"



Aldwin remained silent, stoic, staring straight ahead.



"This need not be unpleasant. All I wish to know for now is your name." More silence followed, "Very well. You shall pay for your silence as well as your crimes." Sokar motioned slightly to his first prime who, though Aldwin could not see him, he knew was moving toward him with that dreaded rod. Aldwin himself had never experienced it, but his symbiote had, and vividly remembered the incident.



He took a deep breath, drawing comfort and strength from his symbiote and closed his eyes. As it touched his shoulder and the energy coursed through his body, he realized, for the first time, that he would likely die here.



***********************



The two guards dragged him back to the cell, where Jack and Daniel had finally awakened. They moved to his side as the guards threw him in.



"What happened?" Jack asked, helping Aldwin sit up against the wall.



"Sokar," was all Aldwin could manage at first.



"Crap." Jack cursed, exchanging a glance with Daniel.



"He wishes to exact revenge, for Netu." Aldwin closed his eyes in pain. "I will be alright, but my symbiote . . . is severely injured.



A look of concern flitted over Daniel's face and even Jack look disturbed.



"After our past, the Tau'ri show concern for us . . ." Aldwin gave a weak smile.



"Don't read too much into it." Jack responded, "Do you know where Sam, Teal'C and Marty are?"



"I don't know," Aldwin breathed, "But I don't think that Sokar has them. Sokar knows that I am the one who fired upon Netu."



"That's not good." Jack said, stating the obvious.



"Worse than that, Colonel O'Neill. I can guarantee that if we remain, that I shall long outlive both you and Dr. Jackson."



"You mean that snake's still upset over that small event."



Daniel shot him an, "it's not funny" look.



Aldwin coughed and said, "He has not forgotten."



"Well, Al, do you know what he wants from us?"



"Sokar wants nothing from us, merely revenge." Aldwin gave Jack a weird look at the name he had called him.



"So, he likes us better than you. Usually they hate us more than the Tok'Ra."



"I am happy you are amused, O'Neill, at the oddity of this situation. The Tau'ri, especially SG-1, have a most unique reputation for angering the system lords."



***********************



A short time later, the Jaffa returned. Jack was prepared for them to take either Daniel or himself, but surprisingly enough, they were there for Aldwin.



The Tok'Ra was still weak from his previous visit to Sokar's throne room and winced as he was jerked up from his sitting position.



"Where are you taking him?" Jack demanded. "Hasn't he had enough?"



"This is none of your business Tau'ri. Sokar will decide when he has adequately been punished. We will return for you soon."



"We've gotta get out of here . . ."



"Jack? They only took our weapons, right?"



"Yeah Daniel, so?"



"We still have the personal shields that Martouf brought with him when he came right?"



"Ya, but they do us no good if we can't get out - and then only if they actually work."



"It would be worth a shot though."



The personal shields were devices which the Tok'Ra had only shared with the SGC days before. SG-1 had planned to test them on this "safe" scouting mission. The shields were able to deflect fire from Goa'uld staff weapons for a certain number of hits. The Tok'Ra had made no promises though, about whether or not they would work. The device fit into the palm of one's hand and protected a person's entire body, in theory at least.



"Put yours on." Jack instructed Daniel, slipping his own into the palm of his hand. "When we have the chance, we're leaving."



***********************



The same two Jaffa entered the cell, "You will both come with us."



"And where would we be going?" Jack asked.



One of the Jaffa looked annoyed by his question. The other simply ignored him. They turned, expecting the prisoners to follow them. Instead, Jack used the opportunity to jump one, knocking him out cold. "Let's go Daniel."



They made it halfway down the hallway before the other Jaffa recovered and began firing. Daniel kept running, but Jack was knocked off his feet as his field fizzled out. He held up his hands, "Don't shoot." and silently hoped Daniel would keep going and get back to Earth. This was no time to fool around and try to be a hero. The Jaffa that was still conscious approached him cautiously. After removing the device from his palm, the Jaffa belted Jack across the face with his staff.



***********************



The Jaffa that had captured Jack led him to another room. "My Lord," the Jaffa addressed a hooded figure on a chair. Jack noticed that Aldwin lay unconscious on the other side of the room, Sokar's first prime stood over him.



"Yes?" Sokar questioned.



"Sir, the Tau'ri attempted escape. The other one, Dr. Jackson, succeeded."



Sokar stood "What?" Jack winced as Sokar raised his ribbon device, aiming it at the Jaffa unlucky enough to have made that report. Moments later his lifeless body slumped to the floor and Sokar looked straight at Jack.



"Ensure that he does not escape." he ordered the remaining Jaffa, who dragged Jack (kicking and

screaming of course) to the other side of the room where they chained him to the wall. "Excellent." hissed Sokar. "He is where I can keep an eye on him, and he can witness the Tok'Ra's punishment." Sokar stood and spoke to his first prime, and spoke to Jack, Your stay here will not be long, Tau'ri. I assure you."



After Sokar was gone Jack tugged on the chains, trying to see if they would give at all. They didn't. The Jaffa left in the room smirked, but pretty much ignored him. Jack's attention turned to Aldwin's still form, "Hey Al. Looks like you've made a pretty big fan here."



Aldwin stirred, "Colonel O'Neill."



Jack looked surprised to hear Aldwin's symbiote speaking. "I don't believe we've met. I'm Colonel O'Neill. And you would be?"



"I am no one, Colonel O'Neill. I deserve my fate, though Aldwin does not deserve to share it."



"Oh, come on. Even though the Tok'Ra aren't my favorite people, no one deserves to be tortured to death."



"You do not know who I am or what I have done."



"I'm a little lost here," Jack started, "You wanna explain? Does Aldwin know?"



"Aldwin must not know, and no, I do not wish to explain." His head lowered, allowing Aldwin to take control. Aldwin appeared to not know what had occurred, "I am pleased Dr. Jackson was able to get away."



Jack looked confused again, "What just happened here?"



"Sokar intends to give you to Apophis."



"Now that really sucks," Jack scowled, yanking on his chains again.



The Jaffa suddenly snapped to attention and Jack knew that Sokar had re-entered.



"I am pleased to see you are awake." Sokar said, ignoring Jack completely and going to sit on his throne.



Aldwin glared at Sokar, saying nothing.



"Perhaps if you would be a little more . . . open, we might grant you some leniency."



Jack rolled his eyes, "And if you believe that we'd buy that, then I have some oceanfront property on Abydos to sell ya."



Aldwin looked mildly amused by Jack's sarcasm, despite the situation.



Sokar barked, "Silence Tau'ri. Let us start at the beginning Tok'Ra."



***********************



Daniel ran as fast as he could from the hidden Goa'uld ship, toward the StarGate.



They had caught Jack, and Daniel knew that their only hope now, was for one of them to get to the SGC and bring help. Otherwise, they would all die. It had been a tough decision for him - to leave Jack behind. And if Jack died, he'd never forgive himself for making that choice, but it was the ONLY way.



Daniel reached the DHD, but before he could dial the gate, the ground beneath him rumbled. He turned around to see Sokar's ship rising from the planet. He only paused a moment before turning back to hit the seven symbols. The stakes had become much higher and time was infinitely more critical.



***********************



At the end of the "session" Aldwin found himself somewhere else - memories played in his head, memories he didn't know he possessed. The voices in them sounded distant, as if coming from the other side of a long tunnel, and color was distorted. He felt as if he were the being in the memory, and yet as if he were an observer.





He looked around, at the beings before him -

they were to die . . .



He lifted his gun and fired.



One by one they fell.



A lasting look of horror crossed their faces, forever burned in his memory.





"No Jabez,"Aldwin moaned aloud, "No."



A look of utter shock and surprise crossed Sokar's face. He muttered, "Jabez? I know that name." He swiftly turned to the Jaffa currently torturing Aldwin, and motioned for him to stop. Aldwin slumped to the floor, unconscious.



Jack twisted around, mentally thankful that they were going to give the Tok'Ra a break.



Sokar stood up from his throne and came to kneel next to the fallen Tok'Ra. Sokar stayed there a moment, mulling over the possibilities of what this could mean. To the Jaffa, "Alert me when he awakens. I will speak to him."



"Yes, my lord."



***********************



At the SGC, Sam had grown more and more worried about their missing friends. Teal'C had become increasingly irritable as well. Martouf came to join Sam in the embarkation room, where she waited for her teammates to return, "Your friends will be safe, Samantha, you must believe that."



"You don't know that. We shouldn't have left them. Was there another reason that we went there? Was there something else the Tok'Ra High Council wanted us to find?" she inquired curiously, though it came out sounding more like an accusation.



"I promise you, all previous Tok'Ra scouts reported the planet deserted."



"Did they search the entire planet? And what about local wildlife?"



"Samantha, trust me."



"Answer the question. Were there any possible dangers?"



Before Martouf could respond, the Gate sounded once more. Sam heard someone call to General Hammond, "Sir we're getting SG-1's code . . ."



"Open the iris."



Sam looked up, expecting to see three figures emerge from the Gate, only one did - Daniel. She rushed to the Gateroom, but General Hammond beat her there.



"Dr. Jackson, where are Colonel O'Neill and Aldwin?"



Sam didn't like the look on Daniel's face and knew immediately that something bad had happened. Teal'C entered in time to hear Daniel's response.



"We were captured by Sokar. Thanks to the Tok'Ra's personal shield devices that we took along to test, I was able to escape. Sokar still has Jack and Aldwin."



"How are they?" Sam asked.



"When I left, Jack was fine. Sokar pretty much left us alone. But he's been torturing Aldwin. He knows that Aldwin was the one who fired on Netu."



"GeneralHammond, we must leave at once. We must attempt a rescue mission."



"You can't." Daniel said, "Sokar's ship left the planet right before I came through."



Hammond turned to Martouf and Jacob, "I'm sure the Tok'Ra will be able to provide some assistance with finding a ship."



"We cannot. The High Council has no ships to spare. We are evacuating our base as you well know." Martouf stated calmly.



Daniel objected, "What about Jack? We have to get him out of there."



"I'm sorry, Daniel." Jacob said sincerely.



"And I'm afraid I can't authorize another excursion to the planet." General Hammond said, worry evident on his face, "Even if he were there - I can't risk losing more people."



Daniel turned once again to Martouf, "They're torturing one of your own and you're just going to leave him? How can you do that? What about the symbiote and all it's history."



"If Aldwin should die, the loss of both symbiote and host would be regrettable but an acceptable price to pay." Martouf responded.



Anger flashed in Daniel's eyes. "An acceptable price?" his voice was incredulous. "What about Jack?"



"He is but one man."



***********************



Aldwin opened his eyes and his first view was of Sokar. He sat up slowly, waiting for the order to come to start the torture again. It didn't. Sokar simply stared at him.



"Tell me about Jabez."



Aldwin looked confused, not understanding where this question came from.



"Tell me about his past."



"I don't understand. Why do you wish to know about my symbiote?"



Sokar's eyes flashed, "Let me speak to him. Now."



"He will not speak with you. Why do you wish to speak with him?"



"You really have no idea what you have inside you do you?" Aldwin was puzzled by Sokar's tone.



"You think he is to be respected because of his role in the formation of the Tok'Ra resistance, but he is a dishonorable traitor."



"You think that of all the Tok'Ra." Aldwin stated, feeling suddenly uneasy. His symbiote had retreated and Aldwin felt very alone.



"You truly do not know?"



Aldwin glanced over at Jack a moment - Jack shrugged.



"Your symbiote was responsible for the destruction of many worlds and the murders of countless beings. Before the Tok'Ra resistance, he was a great ally of mine."



A look of shock crossed Aldwin's face, "That cannot be correct."



"Search your memory. Can you remember what your symbiote did before the Tok'Ra? And why is he also so reluctant to speak?"





"Destroy them. They are a threat to us and our people." A voice echoed over the communicator.



Jabez responded, "It is our duty to protect."





Aldwin shook his head, rousing himself from the vision - or was it a memory? "You lie."



"For once, Tok'Ra, I am pleased to say that I am not. Now tell Jabez to surface, otherwise his host shall suffer."



Jack quipped, "Hello snake-head. I'm feeling a little deprived here. I mean, usually you spread the torture around. Ya know, share the wealth."



"You surprise me, Tau'ri, aiding a Tok'Ra, especially him."



"I find that I often surprise myself. I've never actually stood up for a Tok'Ra before."



"Do not worry Tau'ri. Your torture shall come later."



While Jack bantered further with Sokar, Aldwin closed his eyes, mentally searching to connect with his symbiote. //Jabez, please tell me this is a lie.//



For a long moment there was no response, then:



//Aldwin, trust me. I will not let him harm you, just trust me a little longer.//



//Is it true?// Aldwin's mind insisted.



//Do not ask these questions now. I will explain all later. For now, simply trust.//



//I am finding that hard to do.//



//Listen to me.// Jabez ignored Aldwin's doubts and gave him further instructions.



Moments later, Aldwin opened his eyes, "Jabez says he cannot speak to you now. You are to give him and myself a day of rest and then, he will be able."



Sokar looked furious, "Two hours."



Aldwin stared a moment, "That will be sufficient." He knew Sokar would not go up any.



***********************



He is but one man . . .



Martouf's comment had enraged Daniel and he had stalked off, Sam close behind. He could imagine the things Jack might say were the situations reversed.



"We can't leave him out there Sam." Daniel said.



"I know, but it would be nearly impossible to sneak out now, with the Tok'Ra evacuation . . ."



"There has to be a way." Daniel said thoughtfully.



Teal'C approached, "GeneralHammond has requested that we report to his office. He has a matter of great importance to discuss with us."



Daniel sighed, "We're on our way Teal'C." Sam followed.



***********************



Sokar and the Jaffa turned and exited the room, for the first time allowing their two prisoners some privacy. Not that it was helpful, as both were chained to the walls of the room. Aldwin remained silent and eyed Jack suspiciously.



"Look Al," Jack started, his tone surprisingly serious, "You and I haven't always agreed and you know I don't particularly love the Tok'Ra that much, but if you need to talk about this, well, better me than Sokar, right?"



"That is true," Aldwin considered, his mask of stoicism still in place. This human had already learned much about him - things that before today he would never have suspected, not that he still knew whether or not they were true, but still . . . This is something he would never have voluntarily told any Tau'ri. He suspected that few if any Tok'Ra knew. Jabez's refusal to answer any questions, or to tell him anything scared Aldwin deeply.



Jack stared at him curiously, wondering what the Tok'Ra would say.



"Colonel O'Neill, I feel as if I do not know who I am any longer. Before today, as Sokar said, I believed that it was an honor to host Jabez and I always believed that I knew my symbiote. I have hidden nothing from him. I feel . . ."



"Betrayed." Jack finished



Aldwin nodded, "Do you find it strange that I am betrayed by something that is part of me?"



"No, actually I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often. Why did you become a Tok'Ra?"



"I was dying. I had little choice - die or live as a Tok'Ra. A system lord attacked my world. I was badly injured and one of the very few to survive the attack."



"Which system lord?" Jack asked softly.



"Sokar."



"That explains why you were so eager to destroy Netu, even knowing we were on it."



"I do regret that you were there."



"I know." Jack replied. "But we escaped - happy ending, etc. etc."



"Why do you hate the Tok'Ra so much?"



"Well, mostly because we never seem to be able to count on them or get a straight answer from them. They keep information from us and so on. Plus, no offense or anything, but the idea of having a snake in my head really is repulsive to me."



Aldwin gave a weak smile of amusement. "When you get used to it, it's really not so bad or it wasn't for me until now."



"Yup, until you find out your snake is keeping secrets, which is, as I said, one reason I don't like the Tok'Ra."



"The symbiotes do not enjoy your affectionate term for them. They do not wish to be termed 'snakes'."



Jack said seriously, "Well, Al, there's nothing affectionate about it." Jack paused, "Anyway, what's Jabez got cooked up for Sokar? And how do we get out of here?" Jack said.



"I don't know Colonel. But I give you my word that I will do my best to get you out of here, though I know the word of a Tok'Ra means very little to you."



"Nope, the word of a Tok'Ra means nothing to me, but you I'll trust Aldwin, until you give me a reason not to."



Aldwin recognized this as a concession Jack O'Neill did not often make. "Thank you Colonel. But why?"



"Well, I really have nothing better to do, besides I think we could both use someone to trust right now. By the way, what exactly does the name Jabez mean anyway?"



"It means 'one who causes or will cause pain'."



"Now that real encouraging." Jack said sarcastically, "Appropriate too."



***********************



When Daniel, Sam and Teal'C arrived at Hammond's office, they found Jacob already there.



"What's going on Dad?" Sam asked.



"I was hoping that since we both have a good bit of leave built up, that you and your friends might like to come with me. There is a rather interesting world that I think the three of you should visit."



"Jack's missing and all you want to do is go on vacation?" Daniel sounded disgusted.



"Dr. Jackson, you've been so irritable lately, I think a vacation might do you some good." Hammond said.



"Where are we going?" asked Sam, she grinned.



"It's a secret." Jacob responded.



"I'm giving all of you 24 hours of leave time. However, I will understand if you were to run a little late getting back." General Hammond stated, "Just try not to relax so much that you stay longer than four or five days."



Understanding dawned on Daniel's face, "Oh. Okay. What's so interesting about this world Jacob?"



"You shall see."



***********************



"I shall now speak to Jabez."



Aldwin merely dropped his head, and allowed Jabez to take over, "I am here."



"You return, after thousands of years, to me. You will come to regret your betrayal."



"Of that I have no doubt. Perhaps, however, we can reach an agreement of some sort."



"Perhaps," Sokar looked interested but asked, "Why have you not told your host the truth?"



"He knows now, that which you explained."



"But not of the worst of it. Of that, he knows nothing, has no idea."



"Nor does he need to know that."



"Fair enough," Sokar said, "What is your proposal?"



"The Tok'Ra are truly nothing but a very small group of traitors. With my help, you would be able to quickly destroy them."



"And what would you wish in return?"



"Allow my host to survive, unharmed. Eventually he will understand and I can control him until that time."



"What good are you to me?"



"I know where the Tok'Ra base is currently, and every planet they are considering. I know every meeting every high council official has within the next year and with whom, even those which are classified."



Sokar nodded, "Prove your loyalty then," he tossed Jabez a ribbon device, "Kill the Tau'ri."



Without a second's hesitation, Jabez put on the device and, aiming it at Jack's head, activated it.



After a moment, Sokar stopped him, "On second thought, he might be more useful alive." Sokar smiled, "I am glad you will rejoin me, old friend. Remain here until I return. I need to consider our alliance further. Give my Jaffa the ribbon device."



Jabez handed the weapon to Sokar's first prime, without argument.



***********************



Daniel, Sam and Teal'C followed Jacob through the Gate to a lush, green planet.



"Okay Dad, so why are we here?" The secrecy surrounding the departure had been a bit unusual. Jacob had also insisted that Hammond agree to erase the coordinates upon their departure.



Jacob motioned for them to be quiet. And in silence, he led the way through the trees to an isolated building. Two Tok'Ra guards lay unconscious at the doorway. Seeing that, Jacob called, "Come on. We need to hurry."



"What is this place?" asked Daniel taking in the obviously VERY old building and the symbols that he didn't recognize.



Jacob didn't respond, entering the building and looking around. Several more Tok'Ra were knocked out cold inside.



Sam and Daniel both gasped as they entered the building. "What is that?" Teal'C did not act surprised, but merely raised an eyebrow.



"That is the most advanced ship that the Tok'Ra currently possess. It was recently completed and is outfitted to fight Goa'uld motherships, though it is obviously much smaller and it moves faster." Martouf answered, appearing from the shadows. "This world is one of many smaller facilities designed to develop technology such as this. And Dr. Jackson, if you are in doubt, we are here to steal this ship to find O'Neill and Aldwin. Tok'Ra do not take many vacations."



"Why haven't we been told about this?"



"The High Council was afraid that if the information were given to anyone else that it might get back to the Goa'uld, which would be most unfortunate." Martouf said.



"Does Aldwin know about this place?"



"Yes," Jacob's tone had turned serious, "And that is part of the reason we are not worried about what the council will do to us when they find out what we have done. If Aldwin knows, it is a possibility that Sokar may learn of it and that means the sooner we get moving the better."



***********************



Jack sat up slowly, clutching his head. Those ribbon device packed quite a punch . . . at least he was alive - for now. "What were you doing?" Jack said harshly, "And why?"



But it wasn't Jabez that answered him as Aldwin had regained control. He hurried to Jack's side, helping him sit up. "I'm sorry Colonel O'Neill. Are you all right?"



"Not really. I assume from this wonderful display that your symbiote can control you?"



"Unfortunately, yes. I do not understand his actions - he cannot betray the Tok'Ra."



"Well, get ready, because I think he is." Jack groaned, "That was NOT pleasant."



"Colonel, though Jabez may not honor it, my promise still stands - I will do what I can to get you out of here."



Jack looked up, surprised that Aldwin had not tried to make excuses. "You know that given the circumstances that will be next to impossible?"



"One thing you Tau'ri seem to prove time and again is that which is impossible is really not."



"It's a gift." Jack grinned, "Seriously though, do what you can - that's all you can do."



***********************



The communication device beeped again, like it had been doing for the last twenty minutes.



"What exactly is that?" asked Sam.



"That is most likely the Tok'Ra council attempting to contact us, Samantha." Martouf answered.



"Yeah," Jacob laughed, "Though, I'm afraid that the communication device isn't working, so we can't hear it."



"It is a most difficult noise to ignore." Teal'C added.



"So, how exactly do you know where to go to find Sokar?" Daniel asked.



"You remember when I told you that Apophis had contacted another unknown system lord? Well, it's just a hunch, but I'm betting that was Sokar. And if it was, he is going to meet Apophis somewhere along the route to the current Tok'Ra base."



"And if it's not Sokar?"



"Then we have a problem."



***********************



Aldwin found himself silenced again as Jabez took over. Jabez no longer so much as acknowledged his existence, not shutting out his awareness, but not allowing any control either.



Sokar had decided to spend a little time in his sarcophagus and had consequently left Jabez in charge, granted, surrounded by lots of Jaffa, but still in charge.



Aldwin frantically pushed against Jabez's barriers, //We cannot betray the Tok'Ra. We can't.//



//You will remain safe.//



//But what of our cause?// Aldwin insisted.



No answer came.



//What of my friends? They will die. And what of our promise to O'Neill?//



//You foolishly made the promise to the Tau'ri, not I.//



//Why? Why are you doing this?//



***********************



The Tok'Ra ship slowed to normal speed, and coasted to a stop.



"According to my calculations, this is the most likely place to intercept Sokar."



"If it is him Dad." Sam said.



As if on cue, two Goa'uld motherships came into view from behind a small moon. Then, without any warning, beams shot out from one, engulfing and destroying the other.



All attention was riveted on the sight. Moments later, a transmission came through: Aldwin's image appeared on the screen, speaking in his symbiote's voice. "Tok'Ra vessel, you have just witnessed the destruction of Apophis' ship. Surrender or share its fate. You have one hour to decide."



"I don't understand." Jacob said after the transmission was cut, "What does he think he's doing?"



"Perhaps I can provide an explanation," Lantash began, startling them all, "Martouf knows nothing of what I am about to tell you. Thousands of years ago during the time that the Tok'Ra broke from the Goa'uld, Jabez, Aldwin's symbiote, and I were great friends. Jabez has many awful secrets in his past, many of which only I know. Before the Tok'Ra, Jabez was a great ally of Sokar. He aided in the destruction of many worlds and many peoples. He told me later that some part of him knew the entire time that something was wrong, that millions of people need not die for the reasons Sokar told him. He never wanted to see it, however."



"My God!" gasped Sam.



"Aldwin knows none of this, until perhaps now. Jabez and I promised to tell no one. Aldwin's world was destroyed by Sokar. That is why he became a Tok'Ra - he was injured and had no choice. Especially because of that, he need not know."



"What would that do to him if he found out . . ." Daniel started.



"There is more." Lantash stated.



Sel'mac spoke, his voice a quiet fury, "Jabez is the traitor. He is the one the Tok'Ra council was never able to find."



"Yes." Lantash stated simply, "He joined the Tok'Ra initially because he was to be a spy. He saw what we were fighting for and understood and truly changed. He was instrumental in forming a strong resistance. Without him . ."



"Without him we would be much stronger. He is responsible for the deaths of over one hundred of our own - of Tok'Ra. You knew this and you said nothing?"



"He is my friend."



"He is a traitor. And you know well the laws regarding traitors and their accomplices."



"Wait a second here," Daniel stepped between the two Tok'Ra, "You think that Jabez is actually going along with Sokar again?"



"I believe that is very likely. He has done it in the past." Sel'mac answered. "He shall be lucky if he is allowed to return to our base."



"The council should decide his fate. Not you alone. I will not permit you to harm him."



"And that is not your decision." Sel'mac's voice raised.



"What of Aldwin? He knows none of this. What of his wishes?"



"It is not his decision either. Jabez has already apparently broken the laws which prohibit forcefully controlling a host."



"All symbiotes have broken that rule at one point or another. Every one of us is guilty of that."



"But not every one of us has killed Tok'Ra. I would be careful what stand you take, Lantash. The council will proclaim you as guilty as they find Jabez. Your reputation among the Tok'Ra has been exceptional until now."



Daniel interjected, "But you don't know the whole story. Maybe you should listen to what Jabez has to say about this."



"I do not need to, Dr. Jackson. And you should not presume to judge the way we run our society."



"Why the arrogance, Sel'mac? I'm not judging you. I'm not saying your justice is wrong. But I believe that justice and mercy go hand in hand."



"And that is why your society is in its present state. That is why you are not as advanced as you could be. In your society, traitors are given chance after chance and reprieve after reprieve. Humans think they are so benevolent, preserving life. And yet you fight wars amongst yourselves and kill innocents. In our society, traitors are executed, without exception. We cannot afford to be 'benevolent'." he paused, "Jabez will die."



Lantash glared in response, seeing no point in restarting the argument. He did however state, "I wonder what your host would think of your stance and I also wonder why you have not allowed him to speak up during our discussion."



"He foolishly agrees with Dr. Jackson's perspective."



Before either Tok'Ra could speak again, Teal'C said "Enough. This is not a productive course of action."



Sam added, "Teal'C's right. The important thing right now is finding Colonel O'Neill. After that, we do what we can."



Alarms sounded a moment later, breaking up the tension on the ship. "They've locked onto us with a tractor beam." Jacob shouted.



***********************



"Bring the ship into the landing bay." Sokar ordered as he entered the bridge area. "And seal the bay. No one shall enter it. None on the ship will leave."



"My Lord," objected Sokar's first prime, "We could easily eliminate them if you wish."



"No. Anyone who goes near the bay or attempts to enter shall be executed. I will not risk having one or more of them get away and be free to attempt to destroy my ship. I will not make that mistake as so many others have. Is that understood?"



"Yes, my Lord."



Sokar addressed Jabez, smiling as he knew the Tok'Ra had stalled taking action against his friends. "It is most touching that your friends have come to save you and your host. They will fail. I have an assignment for you, old friend. I know there is a Tok'Ra technology facility nearby - possibly where they were able to procure their ship. We shall travel there and you will be responsible for overseeing the destruction of the base. I trust there will be no problems."



"There shall be none." Jabez confirmed. Aldwin's uneasy feeling turned to horror as he understood what was happening.



***********************



"They're bringing us into a landing bay." Sam stated.



"We should prepare for the inevitable assault." Teal'C suggested.



Jacob nodded, and punching a few buttons in the computer, pulled out a zat gun and led the group to the ship's doorway. There they calmly waited as the ship was brought in and sat down with a jolt. The bay of the Goa'uld ship through which they came shut quickly, leaving them sitting alone in the bay.



After ten minutes, Daniel said, "You would've thought they would be here by now."



"Indeed, DanielJackson." Teal'C said, "Perhaps Sokar has surmised that we are too dangerous to deal with."



"The bay doors are shut, no way in, no way out . . . What do we do now?"



"For now, we must wait, Dr. Jackson." Martouf answered.



***********************



"Destroy them. They are a threat to us and our people." A voice echoed over the communicator.



Jabez responded, "It is our duty to protect."



An hour later, Jabez found himself on a shuttle to the planet, weapon in hand, strategy planned. A team of Jaffa came with him. They would get the job done. Perhaps a bit messily, but then Jabez found that he was in his element when he was dealing with messy circumstances.



The ship landed smoothly, barely a jolt at all. Jabez sighed, Time to take care of business. Time to complete his mission. He exited the ship and seeing the first of his targets he raised his weapon and fired.





Aldwin arrived at the planet unsure of what Jabez would do - would he really destroy the facility?



He slowly approached the building, and entered. The sight before him caught him off guard. Several Tok'Ra lay sprawled on the floor, obviously dead. The rest sat in a group, surrounded by Jaffa. Blood was splattered everywhere. Sokar had evidently chosen to use the "old fashioned" methods.



Jabez approached Sokar, "I do not understand." Why had Sokar ordered him to handle this situation and then taken care of it himself?



"Jabez, my old ally, you finally arrive." Sokar greeted him, just loud enough for the group of surviving Tok'Ra to hear. They glared at Jabez, a mixture of surprise, hatred and fury crossing their faces.



Aldwin winced mentally at their reaction. He knew that given the chance, any one of them would shoot him first and ask the questions later. The Tok'Ra did not look highly upon traitors at all. He vaguely wondered whether he would get out of this mess alive. He did feel a small amount of relief that Jabez had not been forced to carry out the attack himself. He didn't know if he could have lived with watching fellow Tok'Ra die by his own hand, even if it wasn't him.



***********************



"Do you hear that?" Daniel asked.



"I do indeed, Daniel Jackson." Teal'C replied. "It appears to be originating from outside the ship. Come."



Daniel followed Teal'C to the ship's door and were soon joined by the rest of the group on the ship. Moments later the door swished open and a figure came around the corner. Sel'mac fired at it.



"Whoa!" came the shout, "Hey whoa, trigger happy, it's me. I'm one of the good guys."



"Jack!" Daniel cried happily. "What happened? Are you alright?"



"I'm just peachy or I will be if people will just stop shooting at me. I don't have much time to explain, but if we're gonna rescue Aldwin and the rest your Tok'Ra buddies," Jack said, nodding at Jacob and Martouf. "We gotta act fast. We gotta get to that planet."



"We can't Sir." Carter said, "They've got a tractor beam locked on us."



"Oh yeah, well I don't think that'll be a problem anymore. I blasted something that looked like one of those a few minutes ago. As for the bay doors, well, Sokar needs a new look anyway, maybe one resembling swiss cheese."



Jacob smiled, "Good idea, Colonel. Let's do it." Jacob paused, then called, "Hey look at this."



***********************



"Why did you ask me to destroy the facility if you wished only to do it yourself?" Jabez boldly asked Sokar.



"I knew you would not yet do it. But it is time to announce our alliance and perhaps in the future, you can make amends for your betrayal." Sokar flipped on a communication device and set it on a known Tok'Ra channel. "This message is to the traitors who call themselves the Tok'Ra. I wish you to know that I have captured one of your technology bases. One of your own has seen the light of my cause and has joined me. He is called Jabez, along with his host, Aldwin."



Aldwin felt distinctly uncomfortable - what if the Tok'Ra believed they had both joined - they would both surely die. All the Tok'Ra could see him, and he felt ashamed that he was not strong enough to prevent what he knew would happen next.



Sokar continued, "You shall all soon die unless you choose to ally yourselves with me. To prove my words, watch this." Several of the Jaffa brought four of the surviving Tok'Ra forward, and executed them, one by one.



Each of them glared defiantly at Jabez, and Aldwin knew exactly what their look said - that they would die, and be martyrs but he would not - he would die a traitor.



The ship landed smoothly, barely a jolt at all. Jabez sighed, Time to take care of business. Time to complete his mission. He exited the ship and seeing the first of his targets he raised his weapon and fired.



Jabez began calmly shooting every being that came within range. Men, women, children. He found that he had no regrets about this. He knew that the reasons he had been given were not the kind that required this bloodshed, but he had never questioned them. He ENJOYED the killing, the look of horror on the faces of these stupid beings that continued to fight them. He enjoyed watching them die, and die slowly and in agony.



And he knew that later . . . after this was over he would enjoy it all over again. Many of these beings would be captured. Some would become hosts, whomever Sokar chose. However, the majority would be slowly tortured to death . . . at his own hands.





Aldwin's mind turned back to the reality - watching as the fourth Tok'Ra was executed . . . the last few survivors glaring at him, already knowing their own fates and accepting it. If Aldwin had been in control, he would have been sick to his stomach from what he had just seen . . . this had to be one of Jabez's memories . . .



And because Aldwin knew that, for the first time in his life, he knew he would have gladly traded places with any of the recently executed Tok'Ra. In fact, he nearly envied them.



***********************



The Jaffa in charge of watching the ship, as he personally oversaw the destruction of the Tok'Ra were suddenly knocked off their feet as the ship rocked. Mere seconds later, they learned why, as the formerly captured Tok'Ra vessel appeared in front of their screens as alarms began ringing all over the ship.



"I think we got their attention." Jacob stated.



"Well, I'd say this style of redecorating sure beats picking out wallpaper." Jack quipped. "Now we'd better head down to the planet, and find out what dear old Sokar is up to or down to as the case may be."



***********************



Sokar turned back to Jabez, whose eyes were riveted on the four dead Tok'Ra before him. Before he could speak, a Jaffa hurried up to him and whispered something. "We must leave at once." Sokar stated, "Bring the Tok'Ra."



"I don't think so." a voice said, followed by the sound of several zat guns being aimed at the Jaffa."



Martouf fired first, shooting Jabez/Aldwin, who collapsed to the ground. He then moved to his side, so that no one else would fire.



Sel'mac gave an annoyed glance in that direction, but quickly refocused, following SG-1 into action. It only took a few minutes to free the captured Tok'Ra, who quickly sprang into action against their former captors. About five minutes later, Jaffa littered the ground. Sokar was nowhere to be found, of course, much to Jack's dismay. Martouf/Lantash and Aldwin/Jabez had disappeared as well.



One of the surviving Tok'Ra spoke, "The Tok'Ra helping him must die. We should kill him here. Why bother the council with those like him?"



"His host has nothing to do with the atrocities performed by his symbiote. We have evidence of that. It would be wrong to kill both for the crimes of one." Martouf stated calmly.



"He is responsible for Tok'Ra deaths. He stood and watched as Sokar killed our friends and did nothing."



"I am responsible for him until we reach the base. He is in my custody and no one is to harm him. I have also neutralized his symbiote. He will harm no one."



***********************



Aldwin awoke slowly, and found himself fighting a sudden wave of panic. He noticed that Martouf was sitting nearby. "What's happened?" Aldwin gasped urgently, "I cannot feel my symbiote. What did you do to me?"



Martouf approached calmly and pointed at the obviously Tolan device on Aldwin's chest. "It was the only way to save your life. The other Tok'Ra wished to kill you right away. The only way to keep you alive was to agree to lock out your symbiote. He is unharmed," an uncomfortable, awkward pause followed, "...for the present time at least."



"By all rights you should have wanted to kill me as well. Why did you not?" Aldwin asked.



Martouf explained, "Your symbiote and mine were friends long ago." Martouf paused a moment, organizing his thoughts, his expression changed, sorting through his memories and his symbiote's. "Because of this, I know you did nothing wrong. It would be wrong to kill you for the mistakes of Jabez. Though Lantash does not wish to see either of you harmed."



"What is to become of me?" Aldwin asked.



"Jabez will be judged by the council. You know the penalties as well as I."



//I don't know what I should be feeling.// thought Aldwin, //Should I be angry at Jabez for keeping his past from me or should I be grateful that I don't know? And though I do not wish to lose Jabez, what if the council believes that I am at fault as well?// Aldwin felt an intense sense of disgust with Jabez, and himself too. And he felt very . . . alone as well.



Martouf eyed him with pity. Aldwin saw and spoke very softly, "I am afraid."



"I am concerned as well as to the outcome." Martouf responded. "I face the same fate as you. My symbiote has kept the secret from the Tok'Ra. They will judge us the same as they judge you."



Aldwin looked surprised, slowly moving to a sitting position. His body was aching, covered with scrapes and bruises, testifying to the horror he had been forced to live at Sokar's hands. In addition, his right arm hung limply.



"You did not know?" Martouf looked confused. "I suppose it is not surprising, I just learned of it myself."



Aldwin was silent a moment, "Is Colonel O'Neill well? Did Sokar harm him?"



"He escaped unharmed. He is the one who enabled us to get off Sokar's ship. He was also concerned for you. I found it most amusing that he was. Colonel O'Neill has always expressed a certain distaste for us."



"He dislikes the way we hide information from the Tau'ri. And I find that, given recent events, I do not blame him."



"Nor do I." Martouf agreed passively.



"What of Sokar? What was done with him?"



"He fled before we were able to capture him."



Aldwin shuddered, "He is still free."



"Yes. Dr. Jackson told us that Sokar tortured you?" Martouf's voice betrayed a hint of concern.



Aldwin nodded, "Jabez's strength got me through it. Martouf, whatever he might have done, whomever he betrayed, he is a part of who I am. How can I just let that go?"



"I do not know. Perhaps the Council will find that the good Jabez has done can overshadow the evil." Martouf's voice did not hold much hope. "Occasionally the council will do the unexpected."



"If you believed that, you would not worry."



Martouf's head dropped slightly as Lantash took over. Lantash spoke, "I will speak to Jabez. Do not fear, it will not be for long." Then he flipped a button, allowing Jabez to take over.



Jabez spoke urgently, "Friend, you cannot speak in my defense. Perhaps if you do not, they will allow you to live."



"Then who shall speak for you? No one else will."



"I am capable of speaking for myself. To die is not my first choice, but it appears to be the most likely path at the moment. I wish to cause no further deaths in my leaving."



Lantash looked shocked at the suggestion that he should let his friend die. "You are my friend, I cannot sit by and watch them sentence you to death."



"Nothing will save me. Tok'Ra law is clear, we both know this. There is nothing you can do." Jabez spoke, his tone resigned.



"I will not accept that."



Jabez spoke, "You must accept it. What you wish to happen is irrelevant. My fate has been sealed since the first time I committed these atrocities. You must begin to think of what if best for you and your host. Standing up for me now is pointless. You must think of Martouf. If you do not accept it, you will cause him as much grief as I have caused Aldwin." Jabez looked away for a moment, then said flatly, "I do not need your death on my conscious. Would you wish that on me?"



"No, I would not." Lantash leaned his head against the wall, attempting to organize his thoughts. His eyes widened as he remembered a fact that concerned him as well. "Sel'mac knows."



Jabez looked disturbed, "You are sure?"



"I am certain."



"Then you must tell the council that I forced you to do so, that I threatened to kill you. You cannot die for me."



"Lying to the council is not a good habit to begin. Nor will I sit there and watch them kill you!" Lantash said, "There must be a way!" he began massaging his temples, thinking desperately. Another long pause, "What does your host feel?"



"He is unsure but does not wish me to die. He also is very afraid. I wish that I had been able to spare him this. He lost many friends and family to Sokar's forces. Now, he finds that I aided the being that killed them . . ." Jabez trailed off, "And he blames himself for everything that he knows and he has memories of only a fraction of the atrocities . . ."



"If you are to die, you know that he deserves the truth."



//But would I help him or only cause more pain?// thought Jabez.



Lantash continued, "Tell me, what do you feel of all this?"



Before Lantash could answer the question, the door burst open, and Sel'mac stalked in. "I believe that the agreement was that Martouf was in charge of the prisoner and that Jabez was to be silenced until we reached the base. Or perhaps we need to suppress you as well?"



Lantash met Sel'mac's challenging gaze, fire in his eyes, "That will not be necessary. I am merely speaking with my friend."



Jabez interrupted, "Sel'mac, please do not report Lantash to the council. Other than keeping my secret, which he only knew after the killings, he has done nothing. Do not force his host to go through that agony."



"Only a traitor like you would ask me to betray my people for those like you."



"Lantash has done nothing wrong." objected Jabez.



"Neither did either one of your hosts, but you never considered them. You only thought of your own goals."



"That is unfair." Jabez stated. Sel'mac had hit him right where it hurt the most.



"The council will decide what is fair. Now, Lantash, you will return control to Martouf and refrain from speaking with Jabez."



Lantash nodded, "I am sorry Jabez." With that, Lantash returned control to Martouf, who immediately locked Jabez from control again.



Sel'mac addressed Martouf, ignoring Aldwin's presence completely. "I need to speak with you, alone."



Martouf nodded, "Very well."



***********************



Once they were alone in the hallway outside the room, Sel'mac turned on Martouf and spoke harshly, "What were you thinking?", showing uncharacteristic emotion.



"I simply allowed Lantash to speak with his friend. That is all." Martouf spoke calmly, not mentioning that Lantash had been the one to act in this case, Martouf had not given him permission.



"Lantash's 'friend' has aided Sokar. He sold his soul long ago. Do you understand?"



"I do understand that by Tok'Ra law, Jabez's crimes deserve punishment. I also understand my symbiote's unwavering loyalty to a friend."



"He is everything we are against."



"I do not wish to fight with you Sel'mac. And I will not." Martouf said, a bit sadly, "Do not worry. Lantash will follow your orders."



"You cannot be entrusted to remain with him the entire journey."



"Who shall I trust to watch him then? Who would not kill him? Certainly not you . . ." Martouf's disdain was evident.



"What about me?" a voice interrupted.



"I find you to be an acceptable choice, Colonel O'Neill."



Sel'mac's expression turned furious, "You would trust a human over a Tok'Ra?"



"In most cases I would not. Here I do."



"Perhaps you are a traitor as well, Martouf, just as Lantash is . . ." Sel'mac trailed off.



Hurt was evident on the Tok'Ra's face as Sel'mac's words sunk in. Shaking his head slightly, he turned to leave.



A voice stopped him, "I'm sorry, Martouf," Jacob called after him, "I'm really sorry."



***********************



"I've never heard Tok'Ra fight like that before." muttered Jack, gesturing at the hallway, as he stepped into the room where Aldwin was being held.



The Tok'Ra looked rather small and powerless, not defeated, but weakened.



"Colonel O'Neill, I am glad to see that you escaped. Martouf informed me that you had and that I have you to thank for my rescue."



Jack shrugged, "Don't mention it." He sat down casually, "So," Jack began. "Sounds like Marty is in trouble too."



"Lantash hid Jabez's true identity from the council. He faces the same fate Jabez does."



"Which would be . . .?"



"Death." replied Aldwin quietly.



"Oh."



"Jabez does not wish for Lantash to defend him. If he does, that seals his fate. Unfortunately, even if Lantash remains silent, Sel'mac will report him."



"Sweet."



Aldwin looked up at Jack hopefully, "Perhaps you might speak to Sel'mac? I doubt that the council might rule in Jabez's favor, but he is right - neither Martouf nor Lantash deserve to share our fate."



Jack nodded, "I'll talk to him but I don't think he'll change his mind."



"It would surprise me greatly if he did."



"Well gee, thanks, I mean I knew I was a bad diplomat and not a great speaker, but do you have to sound so down on me?"



"It has nothing to do with your ability to persuade, Colonel, merely Sel'mac's willingness to listen."



Jack's expression turned serious, "What exactly is gonna happen to ya?"



"Jabez and I will be brought before the Tok'Ra council. They should proclaim me innocent of wrongdoing, but Jabez will probably be found guilty."



"And then what?"



"If that occurs, then they will remove my symbiote and replace it with another." Aldwin met Jack's gaze.



Jack wondered faintly just how the Tok'Ra was keeping his mask of calm on given what he had gone through and what he was facing. Jack knew more than he let on. And he knew that the other Tok'Ra believed Aldwin had helped Sokar as well, and that he was using his symbiote as an excuse to hide behind. He knew that Jabez was not the only one to be put on trial here.



"How long until we reach our destination?" Aldwin asked.



"Oh, I think Carter said something like a day or two. I dunno." Jack paused, "So what are you gonna tell the council?"



"The truth or what I know of it."



***********************



"We should be landing shortly," Jacob stepped into the room. Jack and Martouf, who had been deep in discussion, looked up and acknowledged Jacob's words.



"How is he holding up?" Jacob asked, nodding at the unconscious form of Aldwin, who had fallen into a restless sleep.



"He'd be a lot better if he weren't facing death, Jacob." Jack said, "He's afraid."



"Jack, as harsh as it may sound, he should be afraid. You know that . . ."



"The Tok'Ra despise traitors." Jack finished exasperatedly, "Yes, I know that. You've said that - MANY times."



"I'm only telling you the facts about the situation. I'm a little surprised he'd talk to you though."



"What? I can listen. Besides, I saw what Sokar did to him."



"How bad was it?" asked Martouf.



"Bad enough. The worst part wasn't what they did to his body but the psychological torment that they put him through."



There was an awkward moment of silence that followed, broken by the appearance of another Tok'Ra. "I believe there is something urgent that you all must see."



Jacob and Martouf rushed out, hearing the urgency in the statement. Jack followed close behind. They arrived to find that the cockpit of the ship was filled with people. Jack quickly cornered Daniel, "What is going on?" he hissed.



Sam spoke, "Sir, the planet that the Tok'Ra base was on is gone."



"What do you mean it's gone?"



Jacob turned, "It's been destroyed, by a Goa'uld ship."



"Were there Tok'Ra still on the planet?" Daniel asked.



"We don't know." Jacob sighed worriedly, "And we can't contact anyone right now, we're being jammed."



"That can't be good." Sam said.



"Ya think?" asked Jack. "How did they find the base though? I thought you said that they were hidden."



"They were. There was no way they could have found us unless . . ."



"Someone told them where to look." finished Martouf helpfully.



"But wait a second, it couldn't have been Sokar. His ship is so damaged . . ."



"Most Goa'uld have a large number of ships at their disposal, DanielJackson." Teal'C said, "All Sokar need have done would be to summon another ship to complete the task."



"Then we can surmise the how, and from that I've got a good idea of the who." Jacob said.



Martouf spoke, "A shuttle is launching from our bay. It is heading in the direction from which we just came."



"We cannot allow him to get back in touch with Sokar." One of the Tok'Ra said, "Jacob, I would assume that this would be enough evidence to believe that Aldwin is aiding Sokar, as is Jabez?" The Tok'Ra did not wait for an answer, "We cannot allow him to return to Sokar with further information. We must destroy his ship." The Tok'Ra looked expectantly at Jacob.



After exchanging a brief apologetic glance at O'Neill, he sighed. Martouf stared at Jacob intensely. He had occupied the weapon station when he had entered. Jacob nodded at Martouf, "We have no choice. Fire at will."



Martouf targeted the ship, hesitating to press the button that would fire upon the ship. His hesitation, though momentary, was long enough to allow the small ship to get out of range.



***********************



Aldwin's mind was racing. After everyone had run out of the room, where he had been only half asleep, he had gotten up to investigate. Upon seeing what had happened, and knowing immediately what had occurred, he had rushed to the shuttle bay, intent on only one thing - finding Sokar. Unfortunately, he would have to do it alone - he could not remove the Tollan device himself. Only Sel'mac had the device that would release Jabez, and it delivered an electrical shock if Aldwin tried to bypass it.



***********************



As Aldwin's ship zipped out of range, Jacob reacted immediately, "We can't let him get back to Sokar. If he does, we could be in more trouble than we already are."



"Don't tell me that you actually think Aldwin is going along with this." Jack said.



"What I think isn't what matters. Stopping him is. I'm going to go after him in a shuttle. You will all make your way to the new Tok'Ra base. Keep attempting to contact the council. I'll take care of him - alone." Jacob turned on his heel.



"Ya, right." Jack said.



"Jack, just let it go." Daniel said.



"Are you volunteering to go along, Colonel?" Jacob asked, giving an amused and knowing smile. He had expected Jack to come along.



"Sure, why not?" Jack turned to Carter, "We'll be back soon. If the Tok'Ra ever get their gear working, contact Hammond and let him know where we are. Daniel, don't say a word."



Ten minutes later, Jacob and Jack were well on their way.



"Do you really think Aldwin is working with Sokar?" Jack's tone was sarcastic



"Why else would he have run? And back to Sokar, no less. Technology is suppressing the symbiote."



"We only know that he's headed in the direction where Sokar last was for one, and another thing - your technology doesn't have a near perfect record with working."



"Nor is the device ours. It belongs to the Tollan." said Jacob.



"I knew you were gonna say that!" Jack said exasperatedly, "And their record ain't perfect either. Besides, loyalty to Sokar isn't the only reason he might run. He's facing death and desperate people do desperate things. Maybe he's trying to find Sokar to finish him off for ya."



"Then why would he foolishly do it alone?"



"Guilt." Jack said, "Besides, who's gonna help him? He doesn't exactly have many friends right now . . . And by the way, is Sel'mac really going to report Martouf to the council as well?"



"Lantash," corrected Jacob, "And Sel'mac and I are discussing it."



"Better watch how you talk to yourself Jacob, people might think you're crazy. Seriously though, think about it, Aldwin has just learned that part of him is not what he thought it was. He finds out that Tok'Ra have died because of that snake, people are dying because of it -- and it would only be natural for him to blame himself -- so why wouldn't he run? He has to be one pretty confused little Tok'Ra about now."



"Jack, it's not up to me to decide his guilt. Right now, it's best if we leave that to the council. My mission here is to stop him, to capture him alive if possible. If not, the Council will understand. And Colonel, you had better be right about the technology not working -- otherwise . . ."



Jack nodded in understanding.



***********************



A few hours later, Jack and Jacob slowed the ship to find a battleground. The earlier pristine shuttle Aldwin had stolen now bore battle scars. Nearby sat an obviously wounded Goa'uld ship. Jacob quickly scanned the area, powering up weapons at the same time. "His ship has lost weapons."



"So he's a sitting duck." Jack stated, "What do we do?"



"We need to draw their fire . . ." Jacob expertly piloted the ship between Aldwin and the Goa'uld, shifting to avoid their fire and punching a few holes in their ship at the same time. After only a short while, given their failure to hit this new ship, the Goa'uld started their engines and left.



With one final shot in their direction, Jacob quit the pursuit, instead heading back towards Aldwin's ship. Entering the ship, they noticed that Aldwin's body lay on the floor, knocked unconscious sometime during the fight. He lay on his side, a gash running down the side of his face, a small stream of blood flowing from it. Jack knelt next to him, feeling for a pulse. "He's alive. Let's get him out of here."



Jack and Jacob picked up the Tok'Ra and managed to get him on board their ship. Catching the other ship in a tractor beam, they returned along their course.



"Jacob, I can't believe he came here and attacked that thing, alone. Do you still believe he's a traitor?"



"As I said before, that is not my decision to make." Jacob paused, "When he wakes up, Sel'mac wants to speak with him."



"Oh joy." Jack muttered, knowing he was in for yet another Tok'Ra war.



***********************



"Why did you attempt to return to Sokar?"



"I was not returning . . ."Aldwin objected quietly, wincing as he stood up, face to face with Sel'mac. He had woken shortly before and Sel'mac had immediately started in on him.



"Do not deny it." Sel'mac interrupted harshly.



"Sel'mac, I may be confused by recent events, but I am certainly not confused enough to serve Sokar."



"Then why did you run?"



"I feel responsible for events, my symbiote is responsible. What would have happened if I had come to you for help?"



Sel'mac simply stared at him.



"I know you already don't trust Jabez, and given what's happened, probably not me either. But this is my . . . Jabez's fault." Pure conflict echoed on Aldwin's face - sorting through his feelings. "I didn't want to put anyone else at risk, least of all my friends . . ." Aldwin gave Jack a look pleading for understanding.



"Why should anyone believe you now?" Sel'mac asked.



"Lay off of him." growled Jack. "Look, I'm not exactly the Tok'Ra's number one fan here . . ."



"This is Tok'Ra business, Colonel O'Neill. Perhaps it would be best if you stayed out of it." Sel'mac said, slightly condescendingly.



Jack continued, as if he had not heard, "He's been through a lot. He's trying to help you but you can't see that. You're too busy upholding 'Tok'Ra Law'. Put yourself in his shoes, - how would you feel?"



"Colonel, please . . ." Aldwin attempted to interrupt.



"I would not be in his shoes and the fact that you do not recognize this proves you are incapable of judging Tok'Ra laws."



"All right, look, I'm not arguing about whether your laws are good or not. This ain't about Tok'Ra Law. It's about Aldwin/Jabez or whoever the heck they are."



"I disagree." Sel'mac said, "And just because our laws do not coincide with your less advanced . ."



Jack interrupted, "Don't you give me that 'lesser advanced than thou' crap. I've just about had enough of that. If you're so freakin' advanced then why the heck do you need hosts?"



"There is no logical reason you should believe me." Aldwin spoke, interrupting the two. "You have every right to kill me here. But you will not, you believe that there is the chance that I could speak the truth."



"You are correct. We shall tell the council the facts and they shall decide your fate."



"That is all ask." Aldwin nodded his head. He made eye contact with Jack, thanking him for his support. Unfortunately, the support of a Tau'ri was not going to make too much difference in a Tok'Ra decision.

***********************

Jacob, Jack and Aldwin made the journey to the new Tok'Ra base in the shuttle. Upon reaching the base, they caught up with the other Tok'Ra ship which had hurried back to report after they had departed in search of Aldwin.

Daniel, Sam, and Teal'C were waiting as they stepped from the shuttle. Sam hugged her father, while Daniel and Teal'C greeted Jack. Aldwin stood still, watching as people clustered around everyone but him, as if the device on his chest were a warning. He glanced up, noticing that Martouf was standing there, watching him. Well, not exactly watching him. Martouf was there because Lantash was Jabez's friend - not because of Aldwin.

Two Tok'Ra guards approached and Aldwin knew that they were there to "escort" him to the room where he would await the trial. The trial would probably begin the very next morning. As Aldwin allowed himself to be led away, he could read the disgust in the eyes of many of the other Tok'Ra, but he met their gaze, not allowing them that power.

The Tok'Ra had moved their base quickly and had evidently built this months before, something of which Aldwin had been unaware.

Aldwin's room was bare, but then, most Tok'Ra rooms were. He sighed. He had not been forbidden to leave his room, but the two Tok'Ra guards outside his door plainly said that they would be watching him. Not that he really felt like interacting with anyone at this point anyway . . . and he felt sure that the feeling was mutual.

***********************

Martouf had just been passing by - when something compelled him to stop, outside Aldwin's room. Two Tok'Ra guards stood outside. Both ignored Martouf until he approached them. They didn't deny him entrance to visit Aldwin, so Sel'mac must not yet have told anyone.

Aldwin lounged on his cot in the bare room. On the surface, he appeared relaxed, but anyone who could read Tok'Ra body language would know otherwise. His eyes were closed, and his face composed but obviously miserable. Martouf stood in the doorway, awkwardly, not wanting to interrupt the Tok'Ra's thoughts yet knowing he needed help.

Finally, sensing that he was no longer alone, Aldwin opened his eyes, surprise showing when he saw who his guest was.

Martouf began, "There were no Tok'Ra on the base destroyed by Sokar's ship. None were killed because of that. I thought you might wish to know."

Relief flashed across Aldwin's face, "Thank you . . . very much." he said, his tone somewhat dismissive. He returned to his thoughts until he realized that Martouf had not left.

Both stayed there, awkwardly staring at each other. Aldwin finally broke the silence, wondering why Martouf had lingered, "Why are you here? Lantash cannot speak to Jabez."

Martouf shifted uncomfortably, "I came to see how you were doing."

Aldwin tilted his head, confusion evident, "Why should you care? The rest of the Tok'Ra certainly do not. They hate me and this thing inside me." His tone turned to self-mocking and plainly agitated, "I even hate myself. The only person that seems to care about what happens to me is one of the Tau'ri. In fact, this very Tau'ri is one who has held the highest disdain for us . . ." His eyes flashed, and they looked everywhere but at Martouf.

Martouf looked mildly shocked at the outburst from the normally reserved Aldwin. Martouf never said anything without meaning it, so Aldwin's anger confused him a great deal. "I do not hate you. I believe you are innocent and it would be wrong to punish you for something Jabez did."

"That feeling is only because of Lantash. And either way, I do get punished. Tok'Ra law demands it. You know that in every previous case similar to this that they have removed the symbiote and killed it." Aldwin gave a long sigh, "Perhaps I truly am a traitor."

"You know that is not the case."

"How can I know that? I no longer know who I am. I have lost my identity." Silence answered his question, "Perhaps you are correct. Perhaps you are the true traitor here. You, Martouf, are too much of a coward to speak nor will Lantash allow you to. You are both afraid that taking any stand on this issue will negatively affect your standing within the Tok'Ra."

"You are making no sense." Martouf said in a calm tone, which seemed to infuriate Aldwin all the more.

Aldwin spoke slowly and deliberately, attempting to maximize the impact of his statements to make them as hurtful as possible, "You are a coward. You don't understand friendship at all. Nor does your symbiote. If he were a true friend of Jabez he would have spoken already, tried to help us . . ."

"Lantash is acting as he is able, as am I. We do not want you to die."

"What is your true purpose here? Did Sel'mac send you?" Aldwin then said dismissively. "You do not need to bother to remain if that is so."

"I wish to remain." Martouf stated, a touch of irritation in his voice, "I am here to help you Aldwin, if you need me. I do not understand exactly why I am drawn here, as it is more than Lantash. Perhaps it is because I understand what it is like to have a part of who you are betray you."

Aldwin looked up, finally meeting Martouf's eyes, surprised by the unexpected offer of support, his eyes betraying his conflicting emotions.

Martouf continued, "I was just heading to the newly created wing of our base. I was asked to inspect it before we occupy it."

Aldwin raised an eyebrow, "And your point would be?" He looked away, staring at the wall again.

"I thought that perhaps you might wish to accompany me? It cannot be very enjoyable to simply sit and stare at a wall. And, as it is unoccupied, there will not be many Tok'Ra around."

Aldwin nodded, grudgingly admitting to Martouf, "Staring at a wall is not an enjoyable activity."

Aldwin and Martouf walked silent through the maze of confusion that was the Tok'Ra base. Though it had been ready, structurally at least, for occupation, it was not yet set up. Martouf had had little trouble getting Aldwin free of his guards, as there was much for everyone to be doing. They quickly made their way to the aforementioned part of the base. Aldwin walked slightly ahead, losing himself in his own thoughts again and quite content to be out and doing something, Even if only walking around, he was doing something to try and forget the coming events

Martouf spoke from behind him, "In case you are wondering, the hearing is scheduled for tomorrow morning."

"I had believed that would be the case. I am trying my best to avoid thinking about it." Aldwin crossed his arms.

"I apologize." Martouf bowed his head slightly, still not quite understanding his need to befriend this Tok'Ra.

Aldwin did not respond to the apology, "Do you know what the worst of it has been? The waiting - waiting for trial, waiting to know what was wrong with me - what Jabez was doing, and of course the not knowing what was happening."

"Waiting is difficult." agreed Martouf, "I believe it is also one of Colonel O'Neill's least favorite tasks."

"I think it a trait of the Tau'ri in general, actually. Seems fitting that I would feel as they do, since I'm apparently able to earn their respect rather easily, though I have none among the Tok'Ra."

Martouf could see that the conversation was going nowhere very fast, "It is time for dinner, perhaps we should eat something?" He attempted to divert the conversation, and then began to walk away. Turning, he saw that Aldwin remained there and he realized the problem -- Aldwin did not want to deal with anyone tonight, nor did Martouf blame him. All that the others would do would be to make him feel uncomfortable and anxious. "We shall return you to your room and then I will go get us something to eat."

Aldwin inclined his head, agreeing and finally followed Martouf.

Martouf had found the reaction of the Tau'ri to their food humorous the time that they had eaten there. Their food was rather bland in both taste and appearance to the Tau'ri. But it served it's function. There was little need or ability to waste within the Tok'Ra.

Martouf returned to Aldwin's room and gave him the food. Aldwin looked up, gratefully. "Are you going to remain?"

It wasn't a request but Martouf could tell that Aldwin was finally realizing that the offer of friendship was sincere. "If you do not mind." was all he said.

***********************

"Honey, we're home!" announced Jack O'Neill as he and the rest of SG-1 stepped through the StarGate, back to the SGC.

"Welcome back SG-1." said General Hammond, "What's this I hear about a trial of some sort?"

"Don't worry General, SG-1 didn't cause any trouble . ."

"I was more worried about you, Colonel."

"HA HA." Jack said sarcastically

Daniel spoke up, "I don't pretend to understand Tok'Ra customs and laws, but they are going to put one of their own on trial, as I understand, for being a traitor."

"And it's just another bunch of Tok'Ra bull, General. They hafta keep up their 'We are perfect" facade."

"Sir, the Tok'Ra have to take those things VERY seriously. There aren't really that many of them and to have a traitor in their midst - that's a potential threat to their existence." Sam said.

"Dangit Carter, I knew you'd side with them."

"It's not a matter of sides Colonel, it's a matter of fact. Whether we like it or not, they can't afford to have a traitor working with them."

"MajorCarter is correct O'Neill." Teal'C said, "Perhaps Aldwin is not at fault, but they must take the threat seriously. If the Goa'uld were to eliminate the Tok'Ra that would put the Tau'ri in further danger as well."

"Well, they shouldn't be so mean about it."

"Jack, while one part of me does agree with you that they are being rather harsh, another part knows that these are the rules of their society." Daniel kept going before Jack could interrupt, "Don't get me wrong Jack, I totally agree with you, but as an archaeologist, I have to recognize that those rules work for their society and it's not our place to change them just because we don't like them." Daniel studied Jack a moment, "It's not like you to stick up for a Tok'Ra like you did though."

"Guess that means I'm not totally predictable." Jack quipped.

***********************

Aldwin lay motionless on his cot, attempting to sleep. Unfortunately, tonight sleep was an elusive thing. All he could do was lay there, staring at the ceiling and thinking of what the events of tomorrow would bring. It was possible, even likely that tomorrow he would go to sleep with another symbiote inside his head. Or, for that matter, he might not go to sleep at all, if they found him guilty as well. He had thought long and hard about alternatives - ways out intact, but there appeared to be none. Running away would only guarantee his death. At a later time perhaps, but in the long run, it would resolve nothing. Not that he COULD run away, even if he wished to . . . the Tok'Ra ship bays were heavily guarded anyway, and recent events had only increased security.

He had spent the entire day since he had arrived, attempting to forget the trial. Now, it was all he could think about. He had appreciated Martouf's visit, and had accepted his offer of friendship - tomorrow would show how real it was. Aldwin wondered if Lantash would say anything or if he would follow Jabez's request. Aldwin sighed, thinking about this was driving him crazy - tomorrow would bring what it would and he would deal with it then. He cleared his mind, and closed his eyes, trying to fall asleep. Though, even as he did, the doubts remained, floating at the back of his mind.

***********************

The trial started the next morning, bright and early. SG-1 had left the night before, having been ordered to return to earth to check in. Besides, this trial was strictly a Tok'Ra matter - their presence was not required. Still, Aldwin did feel a strange sense of disappointment. They were among his only supporters . . .

He still wore the Tollan device but it had been changed so that both he and Jabez could speak. Aldwin was relieved to finally be able to feel and hear his other half again. He had become so used to sharing that it felt odd when he did not.

Aldwin listened numbly as the charges were read against Jabez. Though they were read by Per'sus rather unemotionally and Jabez was now in control, each one sickened him further. Per'sus's voice seemed to go on forever, tirelessly continuing the stream of offenses attached to Jabez. They were stark reminders of why he was there. After Per'sus had finished there was a long moment of silence and Aldwin felt the accusing glares that were directed at Jabez. Jabez's expression did not change though Aldwin could sense his uncertainty and trepidation about how events were progressing.

Aldwin allowed his mind to wander over his worries, leaving Jabez to listen and keep track of what was going on. A short time later, he was brought back to the present when Sel'mac stood and began to give the history of what he knew of Jabez's association with Sokar, Tok'Ra history thrown in for good measure. Most of it was at least somewhat familiar to Aldwin. He had managed to piece together, either by Jabez telling him or overhearing Sokar, most of what Sel'mac was saying. But still, he was thrown off by some of the details . . . and the sheer enormity of the betrayal . . .

Aldwin couldn't help but feel a bit betrayed by everyone in this situation. He had done nothing, but was forced to sit here and be part of the object of everyone's anger and possibly punishment.

***********************

SG-1 was met by Anise as they arrived on the new Tok'Ra base. General Hammond had granted them permission to return.

Anise greeted them, "Colonel O'Neill, Dr. Jackson, Major Carter, Teal'C, we are pleased that you are here."

"Right." Jack said, "Thanks. So why don't you tell us what's going on . . ."

"The trial has already begun. Currently the case against Jabez is being made."

"So when can we speak FOR Aldwin?" Jack asked.

Anise gave a tolerant half-smile, "We have taken care of everything, Colonel O'Neill. You need not speak."

"Um, excuse me?" Jack asked sarcastically.

"Jack," Daniel interrupted then continued in a low voice, "It won't do any good if you break their rules. I'm sure we'll get our chance to speak."

"Okay fine," He turned back to Anise, "So where exactly do we go now?"

***********************

Finally, after all the charges and evidence against him had been presented, Per'sus spoke, "Are there any here who wish to present evidence in the favor of Jabez?"

The room grew very quiet, very fast. Were Jabez not with him, helping to control his emotions, Aldwin's face would have been bright red with embarrassment - to have no one speak for you . . . was disgraceful. Aldwin had not made many close friends within the Tok'Ra, so no one knew him that well, but still . . . this was embarrassing.

Finally, a Goa'uld sounding voice spoke, "I and my host wish to speak for them." There was a quiet buzz of shock that resounded throughout the room. No one had expected anyone to speak up for a traitor.

Per'sus granted permission with a nod, "Proceed Lantash."

"I am called Lantash and my host is Martouf. Tok'Ra think it is wrong to keep secrets from the host, but as Jabez has done, I have also kept things hidden. We both thought that we were protecting them. I knew of Jabez's association with Sokar." Quiet shock echoed throughout the room. This was something that Tok'Ra just did not do. "After he joined the Tok'Ra we became close friends. We were such good friends that he told me of his past - a past which he was ashamed of, but that he could no nothing about. He has done awful things, horrible things, but his change of heart was sincere."


"How can you judge that?" Garshaw asked.

Per'sus added, "Sel'mac has already informed us of your knowledge of Jabez's activities and while we are disappointed that you did not come forward sooner, we wish it to be known that we do not consider your omission guilty of causing loss of life. Given that, as well as your excellent reputation, we have decided to take no action against you."

Both Lantash/Martouf and Jabez/Aldwin gave mental sighs of relief. And Lantash inclined his head, acknowledging the council, then spoke again. "Thank you. And in response to your question, I am his friend. I know him as I know myself and because of that, I am more qualified to judge him than any present."

After Lantash was finished, Per'sus nodded, "We shall take a short recess before we continue."

***********************

Aldwin spent most of the break sitting, thinking, talking with Jabez. Martouf sat nearby and Aldwin had seen SG-1 pass by at some point.

//What am I going to say?// Aldwin asked.


//The truth. That is all you can. Tell them what happened and how you feel about it// Jabez responded calmly.

//It won't help you any. I don't know that much about what happened. I don't know what I'm feeling. I can't just sit up there and tell them 'I don't know' to everything. Please give me something to help you . . .//

//That would not be appropriate.// Jabez thought.

//I need to know more - I need the truth to give any kind of defense. Otherwise they will kill you.//

//I am sure that the correct solution will be found. You do not need to know the things I know . . .//

//I'm on trial here too Jabez. Don't you think I deserve to know the truth? Why I may have to suffer?// Aldwin knew what he had said was very hurtful but he didn't regret it for once. He could feel the sting that Jabez felt from the words. And the indecision about what he should do.

Martouf interrupted his thoughts, "It is time to return." Aldwin nodded and stood, resigned to the fact that he would be able to say nothing to help Jabez.

As they entered the hall, Aldwin suddenly stumbled,

//Here is the truth. I wanted to spare you but you are correct. You deserve to know//. Jabez told him, as kindly as he could. Jabez did not wish to burden Aldwin with this, but he also knew that barring some miracle he was going to die. And if he died without sharing, all this would be lost forever, memories, thoughts, the truth of what happened, and of course, the Goa'uld intelligence he had that he could never tell anyone about without having to explain how he attained it.

Violent imagery raced through Aldwin's mind . . . and he saw everything . . . felt everything . . . He instinctively knew that everything he saw was the truth, the entire truth. It was unaltered, very rough and strange. The images came, violent, evil, twisted, perverted, overlapping, colliding with each other. Aldwin fell to his knees, completely unaware of his surroundings. He heard people talking, voices pleading, yelling, and he wasn't sure where they came from - reality or memory.

blood

flowed

from bodies and tons of bodies that lay all around on the ground they littered the planet they were all over the place in every building every house every public square plants in gardens soaked rivers of blood into their roots the zat guns fired killing

killing

and all the people died except those very few prisoners he had been given the privilege of choosing these were kept to serve sokar or be made hosts they would suffere horrible fates and it was he who had condemned them to this

fate

forever

they would never be able

to escape

he laughed and cried inside his heart yelling at the Jaffa ordering them to continue to carry out sokar's directive kill the people they are traitors kill the people they must

die and when

they are all

dead

we

have won sokar has won and will be pleased with our victory everything will return to its proper balance in the universe all will be well except for the destroyed planet we have destroyed their possessions their families their lives their world and everything else that they had once called their

own

everything will be okay again in the universe I have so many regrets I am sorry for many things but killing was so good so enjoyable cutting the throats of people the innocent and the guilty making no distinction between them only those who could serve us and those who were too weak or unable for some reason they died only the strong ones survived if slavery could be termed survival many believe that

slavery

is not

survival

at all

I was not sorry for my actions at the time killing did feel good the blood lust and it was so pleasurable

and

everything I did

was for my belief I knew it was wrong but I still did it and enjoyed it slowly slashing across a woman's throat the blood slowly oozes out and the hunger the thirst to kill more and the regret I don't want to die

but I know

that I deserve it

I watch and the planet is blown into a million pieces I helped to destroy it I am evil I have done so much evil so many evil things a civilization dies and so many slaves were taken this time so many more than usual so many will die horrible deaths at Sokar's hands worse than their deaths would have been at my hands so many people without a home many are without any family left they are the only one they are alone I am responsible I once oversaw the torture of an innocent man whose only crime was knowing too much and refusing to worship the Goa'uld he was a threat to sokar I don't want to die so I had to do it had to hurt the man he only wished to coexist with us he wanted to have a family had a family begged for me

to let

him go

butIwouldnotIkilledhimveryslowlypainfullywatchingasthelifeforcedrainedoutofhisspiritblooddripsfromthebodyand fills the floor with red his spirit was sapped of its strength and he died I killed him I was responsible I was responsible for the deaths of children blood flowed over the planet all over the planet

a red planet blood red

red with blood

I did not try to save any I just killed and killed and killed I kept killing

I am responsible and blood flows



What felt like hours later, Aldwin was finally able to gain some measure of control. He could barely stand to even begin to analyze all these horrible things that flew through his mind. He had weathered the worst of the storm but to what end?

***********************

"What is wrong with him?" Martouf's voice asked, drifting into Aldwin's consciousness.

Aldwin's awareness was coming back. He was still in the courtroom on his knees, so he couldn't have been out long. Martouf was on one side of him, Jacob on the other, ensuring that he didn't fall on his face or something, Aldwin supposed.

"I don't know." Jacob said. "What was he doing during the break?"

"I believe that he was speaking with Jabez. I am not sure." Martouf answered.

Aldwin could hear a dim roar of voices in the background, nothing compared to the screams and shouts he had heard in his mind.

"Shouldn't you get him to a doctor or something?" Jack said.

Aldwin was finally able to make his voice work, "I do not need one."

"Are you well?" Martouf asked.

"I will be fine." though it was clear from his tone that he was not.

Per'sus spoke from his seat, "If you are able, we shall continue the trial. We shall next question Aldwin."

"Perhaps it might be wise to continue this tomorrow." Jacob suggested.

"No." Aldwin said voice low and sad, "I will speak now."

***********************

Per'sus began the questioning, "Aldwin, you have carried your symbiote for many years, without problem."

Aldwin sat, his face was distraught and he looked . . . scared. "Yes, that is correct."

"And when did you learn of his true nature?"

"I learned of it after Sokar captured Colonel O'Neill and myself. I did not know the entire story, however, until Sel'mac told us earlier."

"And he kept all this from you? He lied to you for years?" Garshaw asked.

"I . . . did not know until recently, that is true, but he was trying to protect me. He did not want to harm me . . ."

"Answer the question." Per'sus ordered, "Did he lie to you all these years?"

Aldwin's gaze averted to the floor and his voice was low, "Yes."

"And how does that make you feel, knowing that your symbiote lied to you? That he did horrible things and told you nothing?"

Aldwin's expression became even more distraught and he was visibly fumbling for words. "I . . . am working through my feelings. I don't know how I feel. I am afraid. I don't know what's going to happen to me."

Some of the Tok'Ra stared at him with pity, but most with disapproval in their eyes.

He had no words to explain and this disturbed him most. He had always been good with words. "I . . . I'm sorry, I don't know."

The look on Per'sus's face was disapproving as well, "If you knew nothing, then why did you run?"

"I don't know . . . I was afraid, confused. I wanted to help."

"By returning to Sokar?" Per'sus asked harshly.

Aldwin vigorously shook his head, "No, no I'd never do that. I wanted to stop him, kill him. I feel responsible . . ." he trailed off, close to losing his last hold on composure.

"Have you anything more to add?"

"I . . ." Aldwin began, his eyes darting around the room. He also began to play with his hands, "Jabez has changed. I know this, he showed me. He did horrible things in his past, but he is no longer the same, I . . . I can tell that he is sorry for what he did."

"And how exactly do you know? Because he 'told' you?" Garshaw asked, "He's lied before. Why should this time be different?"

Aldwin bowed his head, "I know he's changed." was all he said quietly.

"Perhaps now we should hear from Jabez on this matter?" Garshaw suggested.

Per'sus nodded and Aldwin thankfully no longer had to maintain his composure as Jabez took control. "Jabez, do you deny any of the charges brought against you?"

Jabez stared up at him a moment, then spoke, slowly and steadily, "I do not."

"Out of curiosity," Garshaw began, "Why did you 'change'? And why should we trust you?"

"I changed because I realized that the path I was traveling was wrong. It is that simple. And I do not expect you to trust me. I have broken Tok'Ra law."

"Not only that, you have betrayed on of our core principles. You kept information from your host. Why?"

"Is it not also a core principle to protect our hosts? I felt that the information would do more harm than good to Aldwin. I did not wish him to face the choice of protecting me, or upholding Tok'Ra law. I know very well what your verdict will most likely be. I know that you may not be able to take a risk on whether or not I'm telling the truth. The only thing I ask is that you not punish Aldwin for my mistakes. He is a loyal Tok'Ra."

There was a long silence after that, and then Per'sus nodded, "We shall take a break while the council deliberates." After that announcement, Per'sus and the rest of the Council exited the room.

Jabez also stood and walked toward an exit. A Tok'Ra guard stopped him, "Return control to Aldwin." Jabez nodded and complied.

Immediately, the worry and fear returned to Aldwin's face and he hurriedly left the room, alone.

***********************

Jacob strolled the halls of the new Tok'Ra base in an unoccupied section, his mind mulling over events and arguing with Sel'mac. This whole situation made him uneasy. And when something bothered him, he usually liked to walk and meditate alone.

A movement caught his eyes. He saw a form in a corner down the hall, hunkered over, knees up to chest, head on knees.

Kneeling by it, he found that it was Aldwin. The Tok'Ra was shivering and he looked half out of it, as if in a trance.

Jacob placed a hand on his shoulder and Aldwin jerked in surprise, "Aldwin. Though my symbiote has strong feelings on this matter, I believe you're handling this well."

"I haven't handled it at all Jacob. I'm afraid. I'm scared. I'm not acting like a Tok'Ra at all."

Jacob gave a half-smile, "We are all more human than we realize. You don't need to be ashamed."

"Jacob?" Aldwin started, "Jabez is going to die, isn't he? There is no way they can allow him to live." Jacob hesitated, so Aldwin input, "Please don't answer that. I know the answer as well as you do."

The two were silent for a long moment and Jacob could sense all the problems that plagued Aldwin's mind. He patiently waited to see if Aldwin would bring up what was on his mind himself.

"Jacob, I am afraid of everything in this situation. This hasn't happened before in Tok'Ra history has it? How am I going to feel if they remove Jabez? I can't even imagine not having him as a part of me. And what if I get a new symbiote who betrays me again? If it can happen once it can happen again. And what if I don't want a new symbiote anyway?"

"You know that in order to remain as you appear now, you have to have a new one. Otherwise you'll get old, fast. You can't let fear dictate your life's choices."

Aldwin met Jacob's eyes, "I know."

A moment later they heard footsteps echoing down the hall. They looked up as Martouf approached, concern on his face. "The council had reached a verdict. They wish to reconvene immediately."

Aldwin raised an eyebrow in question.

Martouf responded to it, "I do not know the verdict."

"Well, let's go." Jacob stood. Aldwin did the same, managing to appear calm.

Martouf and Aldwin walked slowly down the hall in silence. Jacob lingered behind.

I hope things go well for him. he thought.

Jabez should die . . . Sel'mac started

Jacob sighed, Let's not start this discussion again . . .

***********************

When Aldwin arrived back at the courtroom, he saw that all the Tok'Ra had returned already. He sat in his chair and did not have long to wait.

When the courtroom was quiet, Per'sus stood and began, "Jabez, please stand."

Jabez quietly took control and complied.

"The council has discussed the situation and we find you guilty of the crimes stated." A silent tension covered the room, "And we sentence you to death."

Aldwin was glad he didn't have control, because his mind went blank. This is what he had expected to happen, but now it was a reality. Jabez kept him standing stoicly.

"Wait just a second here." a voice said.

"Sir, we shouldn't . . . It isn't our place . . ." Carter started.

"Well, I'm making it mine."

Anise interrupted, "Colonel O'Neill, you have not been recognized, nor do you have permission to speak at this hearing."

Jack looked annoyed, "Look, aren't we sposed to be allies?"

Daniel turned to Jacob and whispered, "Can this be appealed?"

Jacob whispered back, "Their judgement here is final."

"Colonel O'Neill?" questioned High Councilor Per'sus. "You have something to add?"

"Jabez really has changed," Jack said, ignoring the shock of his teammates and the other Tok'Ra.

"Please explain your statement." Garshaw said.

"Well, lemme tell ya what happened." Jack began, "I was still chained in my nice cell and pretty wiped from my close encounter with the ribbon device . . ."

Jack looked up as Jabez entered the cell. His head still ached from the ribbon device and after Jabez had left the first time, several Jaffa had roughed him up, leaving him feeling pretty bad.

Jabez knelt beside him, removing the chains, to O'Neill's surprise.

Jack collapsed onto the floor, and then, rolling away from Jabez, sat up. He gave a long groan.

"Colonel O'Neill," Jabez said urgently, "I do not have much time. Sokar has ordered me to destroy a Tok'Ra base, so I must leave." He held out a small object to Jack, "This is the key to this cell. Wait half and hour before you act. By that time, Sokar, many of his Jaffa and myself will be off this ship. You will find your weapons in the room beyond. Your friends are in the landing bay where Sokar has sealed them in. They are unharmed." Jabez nodded at O'Neill, "I must leave."

"Wait. Why are you doing this? I thought you were the big bad evil Tok'Ra and all . . ."

"Colonel, I was a traitor, and I surely will pay for my crimes. I am determined to do what I can to make up for it, though to fully do so is impossible. No one else shall die for my mistakes. Unfortunately, I cannot stop the pain I am causing Aldwin. I deeply regret his presence during my current actions. I have blocked him from witnessing this conversation as well. His reaction to me must be genuine. Please do wait the full half hour."

Jack nodded, "I will. And thanks. Take care of yourself - selves, whatever."

"Thank you O'Neill."

"And that's it. Half an hour later, I left to go find everyone and you know the rest."

Garshaw regarded him for a moment and then spoke, "Colonel, your story is touching and I do not doubt its validity, as I know you feel about the Tok'Ra in general, but we cannot afford to excuse the actions of Jabez, though Aldwin is clearly not party to it."

"But wait a second . . ."

Jabez interrupted, "Colonel, it is alright. I thank you for your kind words but I deserve my fate. I was a traitor and I committed many atrocities. I have always been prepared for this day, since I changed my loyalties. I knew I could not escape justice forever."

"Yeah, but you stayed with the Tok'Ra." Jack turned to address the two councilors, "He stayed with you and helped you. Doesn't that mean anything to you?" Jack asked loudly.

"It means a great deal to us, Colonel . . ."

"Then why are you gonna kill him?"

"I am sorry, Colonel O'Neill. Our laws are clear." Per'sus turned to Jabez, "Jabez, do you have any further remarks?"

"I do not. I accept my fate. All I ask is that you grant me some time, that I might say goodbye to my friends and prepare my host for the separation."

Garshaw's face softened almost imperceptibly. "You will have three hours. It will take us that long to retrieve the new symbiote."

"Hold on," Jack said, "You're only giving him THREE hours?"

"Colonel," Garshaw said gently, "Tok'Ra justice is much swifter than human justice. We prefer to get the punishment over with, so that life might go on, rather than have our criminals linger waiting for death for years. The waiting can take an enormous toll on an individual - our way is infinitely more humane." She paused, "The procedure will begin in three hours. You are dismissed."

***********************

When they returned to his room, Jabez allowed Aldwin to have control. Crossing his arms, Aldwin began to pace. A few moments later, three figures showed up at his door. Aldwin nodded nervously, barely acknowledging the presence of three quarters of SG-1. Jack had evidently stayed behind to argue further.

They spoke for a few minutes, but Aldwin found he wasn't very up to making conversation with them. They didn't totally understand. Major Carter had some idea but even she couldn't know.

Not long after Jack came. "I tried to talk some sense into your snakehead friends but they just don't seem to listen too well, Al."

Aldwin sat silently and listened to Jack talk for awhile. He had always found it interesting that Colonel O'Neill never needed someone to talk to - he could just talk.

Finally, Jack stopped, "Hey Al, look, General Hammond is expecting us back in about oh . . . five minutes ago, so I've gotta get going. I'll talk to him, see if there is anything we can do . . . maybe the Tok'Ra could just ban Jabez or something."

"It doesn't work like that, Colonel." Aldwin finally spoke. "But I do appreciate the effort."

As Jack was leaving, Jacob entered, "Jack, General Hammond called and said you had better get back, otherwise he's likely to leave you here."

"He wouldn't dare!" Jack said in a mock angry tone. He looked back at Aldwin once more, "Hey buddy, good luck."

After Jack was gone, Aldwin turned to Jacob, "How much longer do I have?"

"An hour and a half." Jacob responded, "Aldwin, they asked me to help with the procedure. Would you like me there? Lantash cannot be present but I'll be there if you want me to be."

Aldwin nodded, "That would be . . . comforting."

"Then I'll go tell them. Also, Lantash and Martouf are here."

Aldwin nodded absentmindedly as Jacob waved them in.

"Jabez?" asked Lantash.

"I am here." Jabez stated slowly. "And I am prepared for what is to happen. I am grateful they spared you. But my host, he is terribly afraid. Afraid of what is to happen, of what his new symbiote will be like, and for good reason. I betrayed him."

"Martouf and I will watch out for him. We will help him. But I do not wish for you to die . . . you are my friend."

"You know it is what must occur. Thank you for what you've done for me. And please do insure that you watch out for Aldwin."

Lantash and Jabez spent the next hour and a half talking, remembering the good times of their friendship and preparing themselves for what was to happen next.

Finally, two hours later, Jacob entered. He looked as if he regretted interrupting. "Preparations took longer than expected, but it's time."

***********************

3 months later

"I can't even believe this." Jack sighed, "They're sending Tok'Ra and they're not saying why?"

Daniel spoke, "They said it was urgent but that they could not specify for fear of leaking information."

"Just great." As Jack ranted on, the Gate opened and two figures stepped out. Finally, Jack stopped when he saw that he recognized the two. The first was Martouf, whom Jack nodded toward. Upon seeing the second Tok'Ra, Jack's face lost it's irritated edge, "Hey Al! Long time no see! How are ya doin'?"

Many jaws in the SGC dropped. Colonel Jack O'Neill did NOT like the Tok'Ra at all, and to see him speaking to one as if he were an old buddy was unheard of.

Aldwin didn't appear terribly irritated by Colonel O'Neill's nickname. He merely stated, "I am well, Colonel."

While General Hammond led Martouf and the rest of SG-1 to the briefing room, Jack cornered Aldwin, "So how are you doing really? And who is your new snake?"

"After receiving the new symbiote I found myself very confused, but with the help of Martouf, Lantash and Jacob, I've accepted the way things are."

"But you still don't like it." Jack said.

"No. Colonel, I would very much like to tell you of these events, but there is an extremely urgent mission at the moment."

"Fine, we'll talk later. But I do expect to eventually get the whole story." Jack paused, "So which Goa'uld's butt do we get to kick this time?"

Aldwin gave a half-smile but remained silent as they walked to the briefing room.

Outside it, Aldwin stopped and turned to Colonel O'Neill, "You asked about my symbiote. He is just as stubborn as you are. I believe that he and you will get along wonderfully." Without waiting for a response Aldwin entered the room.

Before going inside himself, Jack muttered, "Just when you think you have the Tok'Ra pegged, they go and pull some sarcasm on you . . ."

La Fin