Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

The Princess And The Scholar

by LE McMurray
[Reviews - 0]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Kapitel Bemerkung:
Thanks to Stonedtoad for betaing.
I actually did most of this over a week at my old work I was so bored.
This is set in Season Eight when I knew nothing about it other than Jack’s promotion. I've updated it to fix Sam's rank.
In case you don’t guess everything in italics is the Kilronian language during the first chapter - later it's calls over the radio or flashbacks.
Hope you enjoy.
“Hey,” Jack stood at the door to Daniel’s office, “How’s it coming?”

Daniel looked up at his friend and rolled his eyes, “It’s complicated.”

Jack pulled over a seat and sat waiting for Daniel to explain.

“Okay,” Daniel said, still unused to General Jack who actually listened and wanted details, “The delegation will consist of three members. The Translator/Ambassador, a Bodyguard and what I can only translate as the ‘Princess Elect’. The details I have say she is the chosen bride of the leader and until they’re married, she acts as a diplomat of sorts.”

“What if she’s a bimbo?” Jack asked with a grin.

Daniel smiled, “Chosen for intelligence as well as beauty, and the Ambassador will do most of the negotiating.”

“What are the arrangements they want?” Jack resisted the urge to start tossing a pen about.

“The Princess will be wearing some sort of headdress which hides her face from view,” Daniel explained, “She is only allowed to be seen by the Ambassadors during the negotiations. They have requested one of us to act as a liaison so she can learn about us; they’ll be able to see her face too. I’ll do that.”

“Not working on the negotiations?” Jack frowned, he always felt better when Daniel had a hand in these things.

“Jack, we’re using trained diplomats,” Daniel sighed, “I don’t think I can…”

Jack nodded as Daniel trailed off, he could see the exhaustion in Daniel’s eyes. It was a look he saw all too often in the months before Daniel ascended, “So you’ll be our liaison.”

“Means I can do my own work while the negotiations are going on,” Daniel gave a small smile.

“Well, it’s kinda late, go home and get some rest,” Jack told him, “And I’ll see you early tomorrow.”



Daniel woke early the next morning, his covers thrown on the floor at some point during the night, “Wow, it’s hot,” he murmured as he dragged himself into the shower.

Daniel closed his eyes as the water sprayed over him, removing the sweat from the heat of the July night. Grabbing the shower gel Sam had given him for his birthday a few days before, he cleaned himself quickly; smiling at the fresh scent, he remembered how funny they’d found it when he’d read the bottle, Aromatherapy for relaxation but he had to admit it worked pretty well.

As he stood, getting the last of the lather off his body, Daniel went over the complicated greeting in his mind. The language they used was simple for him but there were a few what he could only describe as eccentricities in it that had him worried about the greeting.

After he was dressed; Daniel made himself some coffee, not surprised when the phone started to ring.

“Morning, Jack,” he answered it.

“How’d you know it was me?” Jack asked, “Added telepathy to your list of skills?”

“Sam is at her brother’s and is more than likely still asleep,” Daniel said, “Teal’c is off-world until later today. You’re the only other person who would call me.”

Jack laughed, “Do you have any idea how sad that is?”

“Yeah,” Daniel laughed, “Besides you’re also the only person who would call me at this time, even if the other two were here.”

“Good point. I just wanted to make sure you were up,” Jack told him, “And I needed an excuse to stop talking to people who were putting me back to sleep.”

“I’ll be there soon,” Daniel promised, “And find some problem you’re needed for.”

Jack laughed as he hung up.

Finishing his coffee; Daniel gathered up what he’d need for the next few days, in case he couldn’t get home because of the treaty before feeding his fish and heading out. Daniel smiled as the sun warmed his face; this was a climate he was comfortable in. Slipping his sunglasses on he tossed the rucksack into the passenger seat of his new jeep, he had no idea why he’d picked this when his car decided to die completely the last time but it had pretty much called to him, so he’d bought it. Climbing into the driver’s seat; he took a deep breath, deciding to be positive about the next few days, especially as he thankfully had only a limited part to play.

Being the liaison between this Princess and the SGC should be pretty easy. As long as she’s not some sort of spoilt brat, he suddenly thought, before dismissing it.

Positive thinking.

“She was described as being intelligent and beautiful,” he reminded himself, “Not everyday I get to spend time with a smart attractive woman,” he winced, “Sorry, Sam,” he muttered, thankful he hadn’t said that in front of anyone who would happily blackmail him with that.

Positive thinking, he thought again before starting the engine and heading to the base.



“Daniel, calm down,” Jack muttered to his friend, who was almost bouncing off the walls, “What is with you?”

“The greeting I have to do,” Daniel told him, “It’s tricky.”

“Tricky?”

“How about extremely complex,” Daniel grimaced, “I told you this yesterday. And unless I do it right, we can kiss this whole treaty negotiation goodbye.”

“Daniel,” Jack murmured, “Do it right,”

“Thanks, Jack,” Daniel frowned, “No pressure then.”

The Gate starting to dial, interrupted Jack’s retort.

“Receiving SG6’s IDC,” the tech announced.

“Open the Iris,” Jack ordered.

Jack stood slightly straighter to attention, seeing Daniel take a quick intake of breath.

Three people exited the wormhole followed by SG6. Two men, one almost as big as Teal’c, the other small and wiry, flanked a woman; she wore a long silver dress that showed off her slim figure, her face covered by a heavy silver veil.

When they reached the bottom of the ramp, Daniel felt a shiver run along his spine as his eyes danced across the masked woman in front of him before he stepped forward to deliver the greeting.

Once Daniel was finished, the smaller man stepped forward, “Her Highness is honoured by your flawless greeting,” he spoke with slightly accented English, “I am Erit, Ambassador for Kilros and warden of Princess Tilsa. This is Loc, her bodyguard.”

“General Jack O’Neill,” Jack introduced himself, “This is Dr Daniel Jackson; he will be acting as liaison.”

If you’ll come with me,” Daniel said to them, “I’ll show you to your rooms where you can rest before tonight’s reception in your honour.”

He offered the Princess his arm; noting the looks of surprise from her companions that she took it, walking regally out of the Gateroom with him.



Daniel wasn’t sure what it was about the woman walking beside him but something about her was throwing him off balance. Maybe it was the fact he hadn’t seen her face yet, or maybe it was because he felt comfortable walking with her hand resting on his arm. They finally reached the room put aside for her, with a room either side for the other two.

I’ll leave you to rest,” Daniel told her, noting Loc take up his position outside her room.

You know many languages?” she asked; stopping him, sending another shiver along his spine.

Yes,” he answered before adding, “Your Highness.”

I wish to be able to thank your leaders in their own language at the end of our negotiations,” she told him, “If you would consent to teaching me?”

Would Erit not be able to help you?” Daniel asked.

He has other duties,” she replied, “I do not wish to take his time from them.”

Then I would be honoured to assist you,” Daniel told her, taking her hand and softly kissing it, “I shall return after the reception and we can make a start.”

*********************************************

Tilsa closed the door to her room, happily removing the heavy veil she’d had to wear during the reception held in her honour. The only time she’d been free of it in the past few hours, was during the ten minutes when she privately met the other ambassadors. She disliked the law that meant she had to keep her face hidden while in the presence of so many people but she had to abide by it.

Closing her eyes; she shook out her hair, allowing her long black curls fall around her shoulders, it felt good to have it free. To be honest, it was the one thing she truly liked about herself; she had been chosen to be Princess because of both her intelligence and looks, yet she never thought of herself as pretty.

She felt her face was too long and her eyes too wide, the only thing she liked about herself were her flowing ebony locks. With a sigh, she moved to the cupboard and pulled out a simpler lighter dress for her English lesson with Dr Jackson.

A slight smile touched her lips as she thought of the handsome man who was liaising between her and the other members of the facility; she couldn’t help but feel the heat rise in her cheeks as she remembered the way he’d kissed her hand, that had sent shivers along her spine, knowing that she shouldn’t be thinking of him like that. She was betrothed to the Prince, it was an honour. Her parents had reminded her of this every day since it had first been mentioned to her and especially since she’d become Princess Elect.

Shaking her head slightly, she started to change.



Daniel walked slowly towards the VIP room with a tray of food to begin teaching the Princess English. He’d been talking to Ambassador Wallace at the reception, just after all the delegates had met briefly, who’d told him she was incredibly beautiful and he was looking forward to seeing for himself. He was feeling strongly attracted to her and, considering he’d never seen her face or spent more than a few minutes with her, was disturbing him slightly.

Reaching the door; he nodded in greeting to Loc who was looming outside, seeing no movement to stop him Daniel knocked on the door.

Who is it?” the soft voice called, sending that now familiar shiver down his back.

“Daniel Jackson,” he replied.

Enter.”

Daniel opened the door and walked in, hearing Loc close the door behind him. He saw a shadow in the small toilet, hearing the water running so he placed the tray on the small table.

I brought you some food,” he said, “Since you weren’t able to eat at the reception.”

That was very thoughtful of you,” Tilsa said as she joined him.

Daniel turned to her and felt his heart jump into his mouth as he stared at her.

“Sha’re?” he gasped.

Excuse me?” she asked confused.

Stay calm, he told himself, is she hasn’t recognised you then she must have lost her memory.

You,” he hesitated for a few seconds, “Just remind me of someone I used to know.”

I assume she was someone important to you,” Tilsa said sympathetically.

Daniel nodded, his mind whirling, “Yes. Why don’t you eat and we can work on what you wish to say.”

Tilsa sat across from him, delicately eating as they talked. Daniel watched her every movement; rewarded finally when she pushed her hair over one shoulder ,revealing the back of her neck and the scar left by Ammonet.

Not long after. she stifled a yawn and Daniel smiled, “You should get some rest Highness.”

Will you return to help me some more tomorrow night?” she asked, rising to walk him to the door.

Of course, Your Highness,” Daniel fought back the urge to kiss her, knowing it would probably end up with him getting killed.

Please,” she smiled at him, “Call me Tilsa.”

Daniel took her hand again and gently kissed it, “Goodnight, Tilsa.”



“Jack!!!!!!!!!”

Daniel’s call made him jump and turn to see his friend come running into his office.

“What’s up, Daniel?” he asked, seeing the agitated look.

“She’s Sha’re.”

Jack put the file he was holding down slowly, “What?”

“The Princess is Sha’re,” Daniel explained, his words tumbling out, “I saw her face; I saw the scar but she hasn’t recognised me so she must have amnesia.”

Jack stared at him, “Daniel, you can’t say anything until after the negotiations.”

“What?”

“Listen to me, Daniel,” Jack told him, “You know how important this it.”

“Jack, this is my wife,” Daniel yelled.

“Look, the President is due here in two days for the end of the treaty,” Jack told him, “If anything happens, we have major political problems.”

“Politics?” Daniel snapped, “Politics from you?

“Daniel?” Jack warned.

“No, it’s okay,” Daniel sighed, “I can try and jog her memory over the next few days.”

“Daniel,” Jack called as Daniel marched out of the office.

Unknown to Jack, Daniel headed down to Teal’c’s room and knocked.

“Teal’c,” Daniel said the moment he was told to enter, “I need a favour.”

*********************************************

This is a beautiful world,” Tilsa said as she and Daniel walked outside.

In some ways,” Daniel said softly as he helped her further up the mountain, leading her to where Teal’c had left the car for him.

Thank you,” she smiled at his help.

We’re far enough away,” Daniel said, “I think it should be okay for you to remove your veil.”

She sighed in relief and revealed her face again, “That makes it easier to see everything.”

Daniel watched her sliding his hand into his pocket to feel the cloth covered in chloroform, he didn’t want to do this but he needed to bring her memory back.

Tilsa crouched down to smell some flowers and Daniel made his move. She could only give a muffled cry as he covered her mouth and nose with the cloth. The moment she was unconscious Daniel lifted her gently into his arms and carried her to the jeep.

“I’m sorry, love,” he whispered as he settled her into the passenger seat, making sure her seatbelt was secure and settling a blanket over her before softly kissing her forehead.

Climbing in and starting to drive, Daniel sighed, “Jack is going to kill me,” he murmured to himself before glancing over at the unconscious form of his wife, “I don’t care.”



Tilsa felt groggy as she woke up, unsure what had happened to her. She remembered being with Daniel outside and then…no, she didn’t want to believe he’d do this.

Good, you’re awake,” Daniel said, making her open her eyes; seeing him come towards her holding a glass of water.

Tilsa pulled away from him, “What do you want?”

I want to help you remember who you are,” Daniel told her.

I know who I am,” she replied.

No, you don’t,” Daniel sighed; he moved to give her the water, seeing her flinch away from him, “I’m not going to hurt you.”

Then why have you abducted me?” Tilsa whispered.

Because I want the real you back.”

Who do you believe me to be?” she asked.

Sha’re,” he told her, “My wife.”

Tilsa shook her head, “I am not.”

Sha're…”

That is not my name,” she snapped.

Yes, it is,” Daniel insisted softly.

Prove it,” Tilsa challenged, her dark eyes filled with anger.

Daniel hesitated, trying to find something that would equate to the knowledge she had at the moment.

You can’t,” she told him angrily, turning away from him, “Return me at once and I shall make sure there is no retribution.”

You have a birthmark,” Daniel said, making her turn back to him, “It’s on your lower back, shaped like a star,” he reached out and gently touched her cheek, “It is identical to the one on the inside of your leg, at the top of your right thigh. How could I know that if I hadn’t seen them?”

Tilsa stared at him, “This can’t be true.”

Sha’re…Tilsa,” Daniel whispered, “You know, deep down, I’m telling you the truth.”

I…” she stared at him, confusion clear in her eyes.

Let me show you a few things,” Daniel pulled over a bag and started placing items on the table.

A small cup caught her attention and Tilsa gently picked it up, turning it over in her hands, “I know this. What is it?”

Our wedding cup,” Daniel explained, “It was what bound us together.”

Oh,” Tilsa replaced it on the table and sighed, “This is all so strange.”

Daniel gently touched her cheek, “I can understand.”

Tilsa moved back from his touch, “Who are they?” she pointed to the pictures he’d laid out.

Your family,” Daniel smiled.

She shook her head, “No, they’re not,” she sighed before standing up and heading to the window, gazing out to the forest, “Where are we?”

A friend’s cabin,” Daniel told her, “There’s no real way to leave other than by car but if you want you can go outside for a while.”

Tilsa nodded and headed to the door, her mind whirling; feeling Daniel watch her leaving. Once outside, she sank to sit on the porch stunned.



“How could you help him do this?” Jack yelled at Teal’c, who stood just staring at him.

“Daniel Jackson wished to help his wife regain her memory,” Teal’c stated simply.

“Teal’c,” Jack cried in annoyance, “Have you even seen this woman without the veil? I haven’t.”

“He has,” Teal’c reminded Jack, “And he knows her better than anyone.”

“Teal’c, there are twenty of our people on that planet,” Jack reminded him, “If their ‘Princess’ has been kidnapped, all hell is going to break loose.”

“Daniel Jackson has a right to get his wife back,” Teal’c’s face remained impassive making Jack groan, the guilt Teal’c felt for his part in Daniel losing Sha’re was still as hefty as ever.

“Did you really think I wouldn’t help him?” Jack demanded annoyed, “I was waiting until there was someway we could do it without endangering every member of the team on Kilros. Damn it, Teal’c, you know I would do anything to reunite Daniel with Sha’re.”

Teal’c dropped his eyes, “Then it appears I have made a mistake.”

“Where’d he go?” Jack asked.

“I do not know,” Teal’c frowned, “He said it would not be a good idea to let me know.”

“‘Cause he knew I’d find a way to get the info,” Jack grimaced, “Call Carter, she should be on her way back from her brother’s see if she has any ideas.”

Teal’c nodded and left Jack who flopped into his chair, “Damn you, Daniel. Why did you have to do this? Are you trying to make me bald like Hammond?”



Tilsa sat at the edge of the lake, letting her feet dangle in the cool water. She liked it here, away from all the worries her position had placed on her. It made her wonder what it would be like if she stayed here with Daniel, if she remembered being the wife he loved so much.

The name he kept using was strangely familiar and yet…she hated this feeling but everything he said nagged at her. His knowledge of her birthmarks as well was something that confused her; both were in places no one ever saw.

Here,” Daniel handed her a cool drink, taking a seat beside her, “You look deep in thought.”

She turned to tell him what she’d been thinking about but stopped as she saw him, something suddenly pushed it’s way into her thoughts and she reached out absently to touch his hair, “I used to brush this back when it fell in your eyes while you slept.”

Daniel smiled, “Or I pretended to sleep.”

Tilsa took a deep breath, realising she was actually remembering something about being Sha’re, “You used to tell me stories every night and I would fall asleep listening to your voice.”

I was that boring?” Daniel teased.

No,” she trailed her fingers along his cheek; “Soothing, comforting and I loved hearing you speak. Like I love you

Her eyes widened in shock as she realised what she’d just said, she quickly removed her hand and turned away from him.

It’s okay,” Daniel touched her shoulder, “Sha…Tilsa, I know how confusing this is for you.”

How can you?” she demanded, “You’re telling me I’m not who I am.”

Because I’ve been where you are,” he told her.

What?”

Over a year ago I woke up not knowing anything,” Daniel told her, “For two months I knew only the name the people who found me had given me. When I was found, they tried to get me to remember but nothing seemed to appear. Do you know what I remembered first?”

She shook her head.

You,” Daniel caught her cheek, turning her to look at him, “So I do understand. And that wasn’t the only time.”

Daniel leaned in and gently brushed her lips to hers. Tilsa gave a small sigh but made no move away from him so Daniel deepened the kiss; slowly sliding his arm around her waist, drawing her closer to him.

When they parted, Daniel rested his forehead against hers; looking into her deep brown eyes, a smile covering his face, “Come on, it’s getting late. I’ll make you some dinner.”

He stood up and pulled her to her feet, leading her back inside.

*********************************************

“What are you doing to find our Princess?” Erit yelled angrily.

“We’re doing everything we can,” Jack assured him, “Dr Jackson will not harm her in any way. And we will find them.”

“I expect results soon,” Erit told him.

Jack sighed as the man left, heading back to his rooms. He groaned as the phone rang.

“O’Neill,” he answered, grimacing at who was on the other end, “Mr President, I’m doing everything I can to find him.”

He winced, motioning Sam to enter the room when she appeared at the door, “Sir, if this is…no, sir. We’ll see you then.”

Jack hung up the phone and groaned, “Shoot me now.”

“That bad,” Sam sympathised as she took a seat.

“Tell me you’ve thought of something?” Jack asked hopefully.

Sam shook her head, “I went to his apartment. He’s taken some clothes, some food and some personal things from Abydos. His Wedding stuff, the things Kasuf sent him and the pictures Kawalsky took on the first two missions to Abydos.”

“Did you call Catherine?” Jack mused.

“She and Ernest are in Egypt,” Sam told him, “There was a postcard waiting for him in his mail.”

Jack chewed his lip, “They own a cabin. I remember Catherine was trying to get Daniel to take a break there just after Sha’re died.”

“It’s worth a shot,” Sam nodded, “Teal’c and I will go.”

“Thank you, Colonel,” Jack sighed, “And if he is there, I want him brought back here even if you have to tie him up and drag him behind the car.”



Here,” Daniel set the plate down in front of her, “I won’t promise its any good but it shouldn’t poison you.”

Tilsa couldn’t stop the soft giggle at his words, pleased to see the shy smile on Daniel’s face. Thinking how handsome he was, she admitted to herself she had been thinking about him constantly from the moment they’d met, as well as a few fantasies that made her blush.

Eat before it gets cold,” he told her as he started eating.

Can I ask you something?” Tilsa ventured after dinner.

Whatever you want?”

What happened to your wife?” she whispered, “Why would…where…

I thought you were killed several years ago,” Daniel told her, “When I saw you…” he trailed off, “I know you don’t remember anything but I love you.”

Tilsa dropped her eyes away from him, suddenly yawning, “I’m sorry.”

No,” Daniel said to her, “You should get some sleep. I’ll show you to your room.”

Tilsa nodded and followed him to the bright room, which had a double bed and two small cabinets, one at either side.

Here,” Daniel told her, “Get some sleep and I’ll see you in the morning.”

No wait,” she called before he could leave.

What’s wrong?” Daniel asked, worried about the fear in her voice.

Please, I don’t…I need…” she hesitated, “Don’t leave me alone.”

Daniel gave a soft smile and gently stroked her cheek, “I’ll stay with you till you’re asleep.”



Tilsa sighed as she woke up, very aware of the man sleeping beside her. His arm was draped across her waist, his breath warm against the back of the neck. She didn’t feel afraid, not anymore. Daniel loved her and as they’d kissed last night, she found her own feelings for him surface.

Sha’re,” Daniel murmured in her ear, “Are you okay?”

When she didn’t answer, he touched her shoulder, “Tilsa?” he tried.

She turned to him, “This is just so confusing.”

I know,” Daniel whispered, pulling her into his arms.

I want to be her for you,” Tilsa told him, liking the way she fit against the crook of his neck, “I wish I could…

Shh,” Daniel soothed, “Take your time.”

Do we have time?” she asked.

I doubt anyone will be able to find us,” Daniel assured her, “They won’t think of looking here.”

Good,” Tilsa curled closer to him, closing her eyes, “I like it here, away from everything and from all the responsibilities that I have.”

We can’t hide forever,” Daniel reminded her.

Just a little while,” she sighed, snuggling close to him, “Just a little while.”

*********************************************

Daniel felt Tilsa take his arm as they walked through the forest surrounding the cabin.

Tell me about Kilros,” Daniel said after a while, breaking the silence.

What do you want to know?” she asked confused.

About the people, the world they live in,” he shrugged.

Alright,” Tilsa bit her lip in thought, “In some ways our world is very advanced compared to here. My home is one of the few agricultural villages left; most were swallowed by the cities.”

How do you travel around?” Daniel asked.

By Flyers,” Tilsa smiled, “I’m actually a very good pilot.”

Daniel smiled back; chewing his lip, wondering how to phrase this question, “What did you have to do to become Princess?”

Tilsa laughed, “Part of it was because I’m supposedly beautiful,” she shrugged, “The rest was based on my ability to perform certain tasks.”

What kind of tasks?” Daniel was very curious.

Well, my ability to work the computer systems,” she told him, “My ability with languages, numbers and other little things that I will more than likely not need once I am married to the Prince.”

She saw the strange look in his eyes and frowned, “I’m sorry.”

No, it’s okay,” Daniel sighed, “What about your…the people…your…

My parents,” Tilsa finished for them, “They are good people. My mother was so thrilled when I was chosen to be our village’s candidate for Princess. She was the runner-up the last time.”

I can understand why you would be chosen,” Daniel gently touched a curl sitting across her cheek, “I know how smart you are and I have never known anyone as beautiful as you.”

Tilsa blushed, dropping her eyes, stepping away from him slightly; she gave a soft cry of surprise as she slipped on some mud. Daniel reached out and caught her but his own foot caught in the mud and he ended up flat on his back on the ground.

“Ow,” he muttered as he tried to get up, only managing to cover himself in more mud.

Tilsa was trying hard not to laugh out loud, finally offered him her hand, “Do you want some help?”

Daniel reached out and took her hand, pulling her down onto him. With a grin, he started tickling her, making her squirm as she giggled.

Stop,” she gave another squeal of laughter, “That wasn’t fair,” she tried to get up, ending up lying next to him.

Okay,” Daniel said, “We should try to get to a dry bit of ground and head back to the cabin.”

Tilsa nodded and crawled over the mud to a tree, pulling herself to a stand, “I am not even going to try and help you. After the last time.”

Daniel laughed and followed suit, he glanced down at both their clothes and laughed, “I think we may need to shower.”

Tilsa nodded her nose wrinkled, “That sounds like a good idea.”

Daniel caught her hand, “Come on.”



“Lights are out,” Sam noted as they came closer to the cabin, “No car.”

“There is a garage at the rear,” Teal’c reminded her, “And it is early evening.”

“Good points all,” Sam shrugged, “So, here’s the plan. We go inside, if they’re not there we wait until they come back and then…” she trailed off and sighed, “God, Teal’c. What are we meant to do? Force him back at gunpoint?”

Teal’c frowned, “I believe Daniel Jackson shall return with us of his own free will. Especially if he has managed to remind Sha’re of who she once was.”

Sam decided not to say what she thought on that subject, the whole idea that the Princess was Sha’re was to her ridiculous and she was worried Daniel was just heading for another heartache.

“Let’s go,” Sam said.

Teal’c followed her, wondering what she would say to their friend; carefully he opened the door and entered, stopping in the middle of the room.

“There is no one here,” he stated.

Sam frowned looking around, “Maybe they’re out.”

“Colonel Carter,” Teal’c said to her, “There has not been anyone here for several months.”

“Then where the hell can they be?” Sam cried, groaning slightly, “The General is not going to be happy.”

“That is an understatement,” Teal’c replied, “O’Neill shall ‘hit the roof’.”

Sam was slightly caught out by the phrasing he used before she nodded, “If we’re lucky.”



Jack groaned as he hung up on Sam, “Daniel, where the hell did you go to?”

He knew he should have explained better to Daniel about why he wasn’t going to just let him jump and tell this woman she was supposedly his wife.

Jack started to seriously wish Hammond was still in command, so he could hunt down their wayward archaeologist himself.

Picking up the phone, he quickly dialled, “Hey there, George,” Jack said as soon as it was answered, “You wouldn’t happened to have seen Daniel lately?”

*********************************************

Tilsa finished brushing out her damp hair after her shower to get rid of all the mud. Their walk had been fun and as much as it still confused her, she enjoyed being around Daniel. She could hear him in the bathroom, starting the water for his shower; gently biting her lip, she crept to the door which didn’t close properly. She gave it a gentle push, making it open just ever so slightly more and peeked in to watch him behind the steamed up shower screen.

Her eyes roamed across his lean body and she felt a warm glow in the pit of her stomach before she pulled herself away from the door and leaned against the wall. What was she doing?

Pressing her hands across her eyes, she groaned; her whole mind was a whirl of confusion. Part of her felt so attracted to him, felt like she should be held in his arms but another part kept reminding her that she was betrothed to another man and that she had so many people relying on her back on Kilros.

Hearing the water stop, she quickly ran into the bedroom to finish fixing her hair away from her face.

Sha…Tilsa,” Daniel appeared, wearing only a pair of jeans; he was drying his hair with a towel.

Her mouth dried slightly and she swallowed before smiling, “Yes, Dan’iel?”

He stared at her for a second, that was the first time she’d called him by his name, “Are you hungry?”

A little,” Tilsa smiled.

Come on, we’ll make dinner,” he caught her hand again, pleased that she didn’t pull away.

Dan’iel,” Tilsa tossed the T-shirt she’d grabbed off the bed at him, “You might want to put this on.”

Daniel grinned back at her.



Daniel was finishing doing the dishes while she sat on the couch, staring at the pictures Daniel had given her, showing her with Daniel, a young man who Daniel said was her brother and a man he told her was her father.

Skaara,” Tilsa said suddenly.

What?” Daniel spun to look at her.

My brother, his name is Skaara,” she started pacing, “He is several years younger than I am, our mother died just after he was born.”

Daniel nodded but stayed quiet, watching as her memory returned.

My father is the Chief Elder of Abydos,” a sudden laugh burst forth from her lips and she wrapped her arms around Daniel’s neck, hugging him tightly, “I remember them. Father, he…he used to tell me stories when I was a child to help me sleep,” she nervously reached out and trailed her fingers gently across Daniel’s cheek, “Just like my husband did every night of our marriage.”

Daniel smiled, leaning closer to her allowing his lips to brush hers, “Tilsa,” he whispered, confused when she pressed a finger to his lips.

“My name is Sha’re,” she told him in English with a smile, “Not Tilsa,” before she kissed him again.

“It’s getting late,” Daniel whispered when they parted, “We should both get some sleep.”

Sha’re smiled and took his hand.

“Do you want me to stay with you again?” Daniel asked as she pulled him to the bedroom.

“No,” Sha’re told him, “I want you to sleep with me.”



Daniel sighed happily, he moved to lie against his wife as she lay staring at the wall, “What’s wrong?”

“Nothing, Dan’iel,” Sha’re whispered, refusing to look at him.

“Hey,” Daniel gently touched her back, brushing his lips to her bare shoulder, “Tell me.”

“I love you,” Sha’re turned to him, “And I know that I am Sha’re but…”

“But?”

“There is still a part of me who believes I am Tilsa,” she explained, “I am just finding it hard to process everything.”

“Come here,” Daniel pulled her close to him, tilting her face so she was looking into his eyes, “Take your time. Don’t rush yourself. We probably shouldn’t have rushed this.”

“I wanted to make love to you,” Sha’re reminded him, cuddling closer to him, “Do we have the time?”

“No one will think of looking here,” Daniel told her, “I’m sure of it. We can stay as long as you need.”

“Just a little longer,” Sha’re murmured as she let herself drift off to sleep in his arms, “Just a little longer.”



Sha’re woke up to find she was alone in the bed, the thin sheet wrapped around her. Sliding out of the bed, she pulled on the T-shirt Daniel had been wearing earlier and went to look for him.

“Dan’iel,” she called as she moved through the rooms; finally finding him in the kitchen, staring out of the window watching the rain pour down.

“Dan’iel,” she gently touched his shoulder, jumping back as he spun round shocked.

“I didn’t hear you,” he whispered.

Sha’re frowned seeing tears in his eyes, “What is troubling you, my Dan’iel?”

“Am I being horrendously selfish forcing you to remember?” Daniel asked her anguished, “Horrible things happened while we were separated; I don’t want you to know about that pain.”

“There is always pain in life, Dan’iel,” Sha’re reminded him, “You have had more than anyone should have to endure and I know I can tolerate anything as long as I have you to hold onto,” she gently brushed away the small tear that had escaped and was sliding along his cheek, “If there is pain, Dan’iel I will deal with it because I want to be with you. Do you understand?”

Daniel smiled, “I missed you so much.”

Sha’re smiled back and slipped her arms around his neck giving him a passionate kiss, “Now, come back to bed.”

*********************************************

Jack came storming through the corridors to the briefing room where Daniel was waiting for him, he had tried counting to ten then twenty then decided to forget it and just kill the pain in the ass archaeologist.

“Where the hell have you been?” he yelled as he stepped through the door to where Daniel stood, shielding who Jack guessed was the Princess from Jack’s view and anger.

Daniel tossed a set of keys on the table, “Your cabin. Thanks for the loan.”

“My…” Jack trailed off, struck dumb for a moment before grimacing, “How did…”

Daniel gave a half-smile, “I lifted them when you were hunting for the files you needed.”

“Where is she?” Jack managed to quell the urge to thump Daniel.

Daniel moved slightly, revealing the woman who had been hiding behind him.

“Holy crap!” Jack exclaimed, “Sha’re?”

“I told you it was her,” Daniel smiled at his friend, his arm fastening around her waist, “And her memory has mostly returned.”

“Well at least Erit will get off my case,” Jack managed to say.

“I need to speak to Erit,” Sha’re spoke up, gently touching Daniel’s hand to gain his attention.

“Sure,” Daniel whispered as he gently brushed his hand through her hair, giving her a quick kiss before she left the room being led by one of the soldiers.

“Daniel,” Jack turned on him.

“I know what I did was majorly…”

“Stupid, selfish, brainless,” Jack listed, “Stop me when I hit the right one.”

“I couldn’t let her go, Jack,” Daniel whispered, “Not again.”

Jack sighed, “You get to explain to the President when he gets here.”



Daniel had been cornered by the Ambassadors, who had a go at him for what he’d just done; he finally managed to get rid of them and was about to go find Sha’re when he saw her coming towards him, correction he saw Erit, Loc and a veiled woman walking between them.

“What’s going on?” Daniel demanded as he blocked their path.

“We are returning to Kilros,” Erit told him sharply, “Move or Loc shall move you.”

“Sha’re,” Daniel reached for his wife’s arm, only to find himself flying into a wall as the two men marched her towards the Gateroom where he could hear the Gate starting to dial.

Daniel managed to pull himself to his feet and ran after them, “Jack?” he demanded as he entered the Gateroom to find his best friend standing there.

“I’m sorry, Daniel,” Jack said, “But they’ve requested they return to Kilros. Including the Princess.”

“But…” Daniel stammered, completely confused, “Sha’re, what are you doing?”

The woman leaned into Erit and murmured something.

Erit turned to Jack, “Her Highness wishes to say something to Dr Jackson. Is it possible for there to be only you and he here to see her face?”

“Of course,” Jack motioned the soldiers out of the room, taking ones handgun before motioning Sam who was sitting at the Gate controls to shut the blast door.

Once they were alone, she removed her veil and turned to Daniel, “I am sorry your wife is dead, Dr Jackson,” she told him coldly, “But I am not her.”

Daniel stared at her in shock, “Sha’re…”

“My name is Tilsa,” she said sharply.

“What about everything that happened?” Daniel asked, “All you remembered?”

“I said and did only what it took for you to return me here, so I could return to my betrothed,” Tilsa retorted.

She turned to walk through the now open Gate when Daniel caught her arm, Tilsa held up her free hand to stop Loc from attacking Daniel.

“Look me in the eye,” Daniel said to her, “Look me in the eye and tell me you don’t love me.”

Her dark eyes met his, “I do not love you.”

Daniel’s hand fell to his side as he staggered back slightly to be caught by Jack, only able to stare as she turned on her heel and walked up the ramp. At the top, she replaced the veil over her face before all three stepped through.