Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

the bitter end

by mo philips
[Reviews - 1]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Story Bemerkung:

ive tried realy hard please write a revue

plese  rite a revu

 

Kapitel Bemerkung:
um well cant thinkof anything much
The Bitter End
"Thank you for agreeing to let us publicize your departure from Elainia, Colonel O'Neill. My cabinet and I agreed that trade with Earth would benefit us both, but first we must educate the populace about the gate of the heavens. The horror stories we were told as children about the gate have created a huge distrust of anything associated with it. It will take time to convince our people that good can come from travel through the gate. Your arrival and departure will be the first step in giving the gate a new name." The Prime Minister of Elainia walked with SG-1 as they trekked to the gate. Reporters and hundreds of spectators surrounded the gate and lined the path leading up to the gate. The Prime Minister finished speaking to Colonel O'Neill, which was more for the benefit of the media then SG-1, then turned to shake each of their hands.

"Thank you for your gracious welcome. Earth looks forward to building a friendship with Elainia." Jack gave his best smile to the cameras. Daniel had prepared the simple speech for him and coached him on being overly positive acting. Major Carter was having a hard time concealing a giggle as she stood beside Colonel O'Neill. She knew he hated every moment of this show.

"Dial us up, Daniel." Several of the prime minister’s security men helped clear a path for Daniel. Daniel dialed the address for Earth and touched the red center stone. The kawoosh from the center of the gate startled the crowd. Cheers followed the moment of shocked silence as Daniel rejoined SG-1 on the steps leading up to the gate. Colonel O'Neill, Major Carter, and Daniel stood in front of the gate and waved. Teal'c inclined his head.

There was sudden movement from the front of the crowd. A tall well-built man, in his mid to late forties, ran up the steps towards SG-1.

"Elainia will remain free! Do not be fooled!" If SG-1 had been expecting it, this guy would never have gotten up those steps. The camera flashes and important dignitaries had taken too much of their attention. They had gotten too comfortable.

The man pulled a large knife, which was really more like a small sword, from a sheaf in his pant leg. The security officers protecting the prime minister hadn't even seen the threat coming. If he had gone after the prime minister, Elainia would surely be one leader short. But the crazed man didn't go after the prime minister, he went towards Major Carter.

He struck quickly. The knife penetrated her abdomen. As he moved the knife up through her gut it was stopped by her flack jacket. Teal'c spun around Daniel, grabbed the man, and threw him roughly to the floor. Major Carter gasped as she stared at the knife embedded in her gut. Daniel and Jack each grabbed an arm as she slid to the ground.

Jack could see the tip of the knife protruding through the back of Carter's jacket. The damn thing went all the way through her!

Sam just stared at the hilt protruding from her upper abdomen as the color drained from her face. Suddenly her head shot back and she screamed. The sound was full of pain, a deep soul wrenching pain. It was a sound unlike anything Jack had ever heard.

As the security guys took the maniac away Jack picked Carter up and headed through the Stargate. Sam's scream could still be heard as she passed into the event horizon. Teal'c and Daniel followed close behind them until the prime minister grabbed Daniel's arm.

"I am so sorry. Please do not condemn my people for the act of one deranged man."

"We won't." Daniel knew Jack wouldn't ever forgive them but now wasn't the time to deal with that. In all likelihood the US government would be able to get past this, especially if there was a sufficient reason to maintain a relationship, like the naquada deposits Sam had detected.

"It is a ceremonial blade."

"Which means?"

"It will be poisoned. Do not let anyone touch the blade or they will die also."

"Poison! I have to go and warn my friends!" Daniel ran up the last couple of steps to the gate and ran through. Jack and Sam had already left the gateroom for the infirmary. Daniel threw his weapons to the waiting airman and raced through the halls to the infirmary. Daniel could hear her still screaming as he reached the infirmary doors.

"Don't touch the blade!"

"What the hell are you talking about, Daniel?" Jack was standing as close to Sam as the medical staff would allow while they were working.

"The prime minister said the blade was poisoned."

"That would explain the screaming." The doctor administered a sedative to Major Carter as she spoke. It took several minutes for the sedative to take affect. Sam's screams diminished until the only sounds were the medical machines and their breathing. "Get OR1 prepped immediately." Major Carter was wheeled out of the infirmary to the surgical suite while her teammates watched and felt useless.

Six hours later Sam was lying in the recovery room. Jack, Daniel, Teal'c, and General Hammond were watching her twist and moan in her sleep as the doctor entered.

"You were right about the blade being poisoned, Dr. Jackson."

"What kind of poison?" General Hammond could see the exhaustion written on the doctor's face.

"I don't know what it is or how it work,s but I can tell you it's destroying every tissue it contacts. The damage I saw in surgery was astounding. This poison is literally melting her tissues. I got as much of the damaged tissue out as I could but I was too late to stop it. I'm afraid it's in her circulatory system and spreading through her body. I have several doctors and researchers working with the material collected off the knife as well as the blood and tissue samples I removed from Major Carter. Hopefully we will find a way to stop it soon."

"And if you don't?" Leave to Jack to ask the hard questions.

"I doubt she can live more then a couple of weeks before the tissue damage will result in complete organ failure and death. Based on what I have seen I suspect it will be a very painful death. I will keep her on large doses of pain killers."

Daniel felt his stomach hit his throat, which already felt as if he had run a marathon through the Sahara desert without any water breaks. He looked over at Jack who had gotten progressively paler as the doctor spoke. He was staring at Sam but his eyes were glassed over. His hands were balled into fists and jammed into his pockets.

"How long until she wakes up?"

"With the high level of pain killers it will be difficult for her to wake up and be lucid. She may have semiconscious moments in the hour or so before each dose of meds."

"Then I'll wait." Daniel touched Jack's shoulder.

"So will I, Jack."

"We will all wait together, O'Neill."

The doctor looked at them and was about to protest, but the look on General Hammond's face told her she wouldn't win this fight. She backed away and went to check on the progress being made by the researchers.

##############################################################################################################

"Stop. I don't want any more right now."

"Don't be stubborn, Carter. Take the pain meds."

"No, sir. I would rather be in a little pain and wake."

"It's not a little pain."

"I can handle it." Jack couldn't make eye contact with her. He knew the pain etched on her face would be too obvious. The doctor held the syringe in her hand, but she didn't move any closer to Sam's IV line.

"Let me know when you need it, Major Carter."

"Alright, Doc. By the way, when can I go home?"

"Home? Carter, let's not be ridiculous!"

"I'm not being ridiculous, sir. I know I'm dying but..."

"Stop it!"

"No, sir. If I can face it then so can you. I don't want to lie here waiting to die. Is there any reason I can't die in my own home, doctor?" The doctor looked at Colonel O'Neill for a moment before focusing back on Major Carter. Daniel had walked into the infirmary during the discussion. He moved over to the side of Sam's bed, across from Jack. He took a hold of her hand and began rubbing his thumb on the back of her knuckles.

"Medically there isn't currently anything I can do for you here that can't be done at your home. The problem is you can't be cared for by someone from outside the SGC, including your family. Your illness and injuries would raise questions that can not be answered."

"That also means a civilian can't be allowed to perform my autopsy." Sam maintained eye contact with the doctor as she spoke.

"Carter!" Jack's face radiated rage and shock.

"She's correct, sir. I would have to get authorization to allow you to leave, Major. You would also have to have SGC personnel willing to care for you."

"The SGC personnel are taken care of, right Jack?" Daniel looked up at Jack waiting for a response.

"That's right Doc. SG-1 will pamper her as long as she can stand us." Jack tried to smile but his eyes remained narrow, filled with an indescribable pain.

############################################################################################################

"Thanks guys." Major Carter smiled as her head hit the pillow, her pillow, on her bed, in her house. This is how she wanted to face the end, on home turf surrounded by her family, SG-1.

Colonel O'Neill brought in two bottles of pills and a glass of cold water. He handed her a pill and the glass. She took the medicine without complaint. The trip home had been hard on her, and she decided she would like a little nap.

When she woke, she smelled pizza. She could hear the guys whispering out in her living room. She couldn't make out what they were saying.

"You guys had better not be planning to hog all that pizza." It only took Jack a moment to open the door. The light from the living room flooded the foot of her bed.

"Hey sleepy head. We were just debating whether we should wake you up or let you sleep a while longer."

"I thought you were talking about me. I guess your decision just got a lot easier."

"You've always been good at helping us make up our minds." They both smiled. Daniel came in around Jack. He was carrying plates and a glass of diet soda. Teal'c followed Daniel. His hands were filled with pizza boxes. Jack ducked out and returned with three glasses of regular soda.

"What are you guys doing?"

"Joining you for dinner, if that's alright with you, Sam."

"Of course it is. The more time we all spend together the better." She tried to smile but the sadness that passed across her face hurt them all. In between bites, they retold stories of missions gone hilariously awry. They knew every story by heart but that didn't diminish the laughter filling the room.

The next morning, after serving breakfast to Sam in bed, Jack and Teal'c brought a huge television into Sam's bedroom.

"What is this?"

"It's a television."

"I can see that, sir. I didn't even know they made them that big."

"It'll be like sitting in a theater."

"Right. And why is it in here?"

"Because this is where we are planning to watch millions of movies with you. We've missed a lot of great movies the last few years, so we figure it will take us a long time to get caught up."

"Thanks guys, but you don't have to go to so much trouble. It's enough that you're here."

"It's no trouble." Daniel dropped a bag of DVDs on the bed. "You get the first pick Sam."

"There are a few chick flicks in there, but I promise you we aren't going to watch just chick flicks all day." Sam rolled her eyes at her CO.

"You are such a guy, sir."

"Thanks!" He gave her a big Jack O'Neill smile.

As the morning turned to afternoon, they finished their second movie and a light lunch of fruit, cheese, crackers, and chocolate. The chocolate was a special treat for Sam. She wasn't eating much so she wanted what she did eat to be worth the effort.

"Shouldn't one or two of you be at work by now?"

"Work? We're on leave. Why would we go to work?" Sam's eyebrows shot up as Daniel spoke.

"Leave? You don't all have to be here every moment of everyday. You can take shifts or something. I never expected you to give up your lives to hang around here."

"This is what we want, Carter."

"But sir..."

"No. You can't talk us out of this. We're a family and we're doing this together." Sam's eyes misted up. She turned her head away from her teammates.

"Sam?"

"I'm ok, Daniel. Thanks, guys. This really means a lot."

"You mean a lot...to us." Jack was looking at his hands and playing with a paper plate.

"It is an honor to be able to spend your last days in your home with you as if we were related." Teal'c gave a slight nod of his head towards her as he spoke.
"I don't deserve friends as special as you guys, but I'm sure glad I have you." Daniel gave Sam a big hug. Teal'c held her hand. Jack watched them until he couldn't take it. He picked some dirty glasses and plates and headed out to the kitchen.

"Jack?"

"Daniel?"

"Are you ok?"

"Honestly, no, but there isn't anything I can currently do about it. Now is about Carter. Later can be about us." Daniel nodded. He understood. Jack always put himself last and it wasn't any different this time. Jack couldn't think about how this was affecting him and still care for Carter.

###############################################################################################################

Sam put on a brave face for the first couple of days but by the third day she quit trying so hard to be brave. It hurt to see her in so much pain but the guys preferred knowing how she honestly felt. Daniel heard soft moans coming from her bedroom about three a.m. during the fourth morning of their stay at Sam's house.

"Sam?"

"Daniel? I'm sorry. I didn't mean to wake you."

"You didn't. I was sitting up reading." Daniel moved over to the bed. "Can I get you something?"

"I was trying to sit up. My back has gotten stiff while I was lying on my side." Daniel helped her sit up. He sat on the bed beside her and began rubbing her back.

"Better?"

"Yes, thanks."

"It's still early, why don't you try and get some more sleep."

"I'm not really that tired. I wouldn't mind talking if you’re not too busy."

"Of course I'm not." Jack had heard the sounds of pain and talking from her bedroom. As he peeked in the crack between the door and the doorframe, he saw Daniel sitting beside Carter. As he finished rubbing her back, she leaned against him. His arms went around her. He felt a stab of jealousy in his chest. He knew Daniel and Sam didn't think of each other that way, but he couldn't stop wishing he was the one holding her.

"Sam, would you like me to call Pete tomorrow. I'm sure he'd come down if he knew."

"Thanks, Daniel but I like things they way they are. Don't get me wrong, Pete's a great guy and I'm sure if he knew he'd be here in a heartbeat. He'd take leave and do anything he could for me, just like you guys. I just feel closer to you, Teal'c, and Colonel O'Neill. Pete wouldn't understand that." Daniel sighed and smiled. Her sentiment really made him feel good. Neither Daniel nor Sam could see the large grin spread over Jack's face. Jack felt a little guilty for listen in but he didn't want to disturb them nor could he pull himself away from the beautiful sound of her voice.

"Don't you think it's about time you start calling him Jack?"

"No." Sam laid her head on Daniel's shoulder. It felt really good to be held. His body warmth was helping to loosen her back muscles. His arms also helped her feel secure and loved.

"Why not?"

"Because."

"Because why?"

"Daniel."

"Sam."

"It wouldn't be fair."

"Fair?"

"Yeah. I can't call him Jack and then die."

"I don't get it."

"As soon as I call him Jack he'd know." Her voice was barely above a whisper. Luckily, it was very quiet in the house and Jack could still hear her. As she spoke, he had to lean against the wall to keep himself from sliding to the floor.

"What would he know?"

"How I feel about him."

"And that would be a problem?"

"Yes."

"It's not like his being your CO really matters anymore."

"That's true, although technically he is still my CO. The bigger problem is I'm no longer capable of exploring my feelings with him. I can't just open Pandora's box and then disappear. It would rip him to pieces."

"And you think watching you die without knowing will be better?"

"Yes."

"You’re wrong, Sam."

"But it's my choice."

"Sam..."

"No, Daniel. What if I told him and found out he didn't feel the same or worse that he did?"

"Why would that be worse?"

"Because then I would know I was missing out on a lot." She couldn't stop the tears. Daniel held her close and rocked her. Jack quietly slipped away from the door and back to the guest room. It felt like his heart had stopped. He wasn't sure he would be able to start it again this time. He turned off the lights, lay down on the bed, and silently wept into the pillow.

Jack decided as he lay there that he couldn't let on that he had heard anything. She had made a tough choice and he would honor it. He had to convince himself that knowing she cared was enough. It had to be enough, because he knew he wasn't going to get more than that.

###############################################################################################################

So far, they had spent five days watching movies, playing cards, reading books aloud, and going through old picture albums Sam had on her living room shelves. Jack, Daniel, and Sam agreed that pictures from junior high should be burned. How does anybody survive being thirteen? Teal'c didn't understand most of their stories about the horrors of being a young teenager, but he could tell they found them morbidly funny.

It was late afternoon when the phone rang. Jack ran out to the kitchen to grab the handset, since he had left it out there after ordering sandwiches for lunch. When he returned his face was somber.

"Teal'c and I need to go back to the SGC for a while."

"Jack?"

"I'm sorry Daniel but we have to go. You can stay, right?"

"Of course." Daniel smiled at Jack and then Sam.

"What's wrong, sir?"

"It's nothing worth worrying about. They just need a couple strong backs and nobody's stronger than Teal'c."

"We will return soon, Major Carter." Teal'c gave Sam a light hug and squeezed her hand. Jack took her other hand and looked into her eyes. He prayed this wasn't goodbye.

"We won't be long. You get through the rest of those chick flicks while we're gone and save the good stuff for when we return."

"Yes, sir." She smiled at him but her eyes held tears that she wouldn't let drop until he left the room. Daniel followed them to the door.

"What's up, Jack?"

"SG-9 went to the Land of Light for a routine visit and found a mothership rounding up the natives as well as the refugees we've sent there. I'm going to lead six SG teams on an assault in an attempt to take the ship if possible or destroy it if necessary."

"Can't anyone else do this?"

"Probably, but think about it Daniel. It's a mothership." Jack picked up his hat and keys. "Be ready to bring her to the base if I call you."

"What?"

"You heard me, Daniel. If we can take that ship we still might be able to save her." Daniel watched them leave. Part of him hoped Jack could do it. The rest of him hoped Jack didn't kill himself trying to save her.

When Daniel returned he found Sam shaking and covered in sweat. He got her to take another pain pill. He rubbed her hand and watched as she finally fell asleep. They spent the next day watching a couple of what Jack referred to as chick flicks, followed by several hours of the History channel and Discovery channel. After a light dinner, Daniel helped Sam lay back down.

"Please stay, Daniel."

"I'm not going anywhere." Daniel got onto the bed beside her and pulled her into his arms. She put her head on his chest and wrapped her arm his stomach. His warmth and friendship made her feel better. Daniel didn't even realize he had fallen asleep until he jerked awake. His sudden movement jarred Sam and she moaned. Daniel looked at his watch and realized Sam was several hours overdue for her pain medicine.

"Sam?"

"Yes?"

"I'm sorry I fell asleep while we were talking."

"It's alright, Daniel. It's been a long week for all of us."

"It's way past time for your pain medicine. I'll get you some fresh water." Daniel started to move her arm off his stomach.

"I don't want it."

"You don't want any water?"

"I don't want the medicine."

"But it will help you sleep."

"I know."

"Then why don't you want it?"

"I don't want to sleep."

"I don't understand, Sam."

"I'm going to lose soon. I can tell. As long as I'm awake I know I'm alive." Daniel didn't have an answer he could verbalize. For the first time since this whole nightmare had started, he wasn't able to stop himself from crying. Even though Sam was covered in a light sweat she could feel his tears hit her forehead. She tightened her arm around him and he pulled her closer. They held each other for several long minutes before Daniel was able to speak.

"I understand Sam. How about you take half a pill, just to ease off some of the pain, and I do a better job of keeping you entertained."

"Agreed."

Three hours after she took half a pill and got into a never ending scrabble battle with Daniel, the phone rang. It was really early in the morning so she knew it had to be Jack or Teal'c. Daniel kept looking at her while he spoke. He kept saying, "yes, sir" and "I understand" but he wasn't giving her enough clues to be able to piece together the conversation. Daniel put down the phone and looked at her.

"What Daniel?"

"They need us back on base."

"Did the doc find something?" Her face shone a little brighter with the hope of survival.

"General Hammond said Jack requested our return." Sam slumped back onto the pillows.

"Oh. Alright."

"How about you take a couple of those pain pills and the anti-nausea medicine while I find my keys." It made sense. She got nauseous just going as far as the bathroom and she knew a trip back to the SGC would be very painful. It didn't take Daniel long, but she had managed to sit up by the time he returned. He put her tennis shoes on her feet.

"Daniel I can't go like this."

"Why not?"

"I'm in shorts and t-shirt. I'm not even wearing a bra."

"I doubt Jack or General Hammond will care about the shorts and the t-shirt. Where would I find a bra?" She pointed to her drawers. He found a sports bra and used two fingers, stretched far out from his body, to bring it to her.

"Can you get it on by yourself?"

"I certainly hope so. I would hate to see how much it would embarrass you if I can't." Daniels face turned red and he spun around to give her a moment of privacy.

"Alright, Daniel, you can turn around now." Daniel spun around and nodded with satisfaction as he moved over to pick her up.

"Daniel?"

"Yes?"

"Promise me that no matter what, you won't let them stick me back in that infirmary to die."

"I promise, Sam." Daniel picked her up, shocked at how much lighter she felt then when they brought her home a few days ago, and carried her to his car. He buckled her up and went back to be sure everything was turned off and the house was locked. The ride was very painful. She was glad she had taken the extra pain medicine. When they got to the mountain two airmen were waiting with a wheelchair. Daniel wheeled Sam into the base while one of the airmen took the car. The other airman escorted them into the mountain. Today they were expedited through all the check-in procedures.

Sam woke every time the wheelchair hit a bump, and doorways seemed to be a real problem. In between bumps, even the pain couldn't keep her awake. She just hoped they weren't counting on her participating in whatever Jack had planned. She didn't see the two marines waiting for her in front of the activated gate. Daniel picked her up out of the chair. The marines moved like they wanted to help but Daniel shook his head, warning them off. He had to do this.

"Colonel O'Neill has asked that Major Carter and you join him on the planet."

"Thanks, General." Daniel nodded once at the General as he moved up the ramp. He hoped Jack knew what he was doing. Daniel wasn't sure Sam had the strength to make it back home if Jack was wrong. When they stepped through there were three more Marines waiting for them.

"This way to the rings, sir." Daniel blindly followed. Jack cared too much about Sam to hurt her. Daniel just had to stay faithful, for her sake.

Daniel, Sam, and two marines ringed up to the mothership. The room they arrived in had four marines in it. They were obviously very tense.

"Sergeant?" One of the marines that had traveled up with Daniel and Sam addressed the man standing closest to the door.

"We are encountering resistance every ten or twelve minutes. They are bringing more soldiers each time. I'm not sure how many more assaults we can repel, sir."

"Understood. Dr. Jackson, we will be accompanying you to Colonel O'Neill's position. We have to do this quickly. This ship is not secure."

"Alright."

"Sergeant, keep these rings under our control. Radio if you need assistance."

"Yes, sir."

The marine checked the hall and then motioned for Daniel to follow. Sam might be lighter than before she was sick, but Daniel realized her weight was still slowing him down. They had to go up two levels and through several hallways, encountering a couple bands of resistance fighters along the way, before they reached Colonel O'Neill and Teal'c.

"Bring her in here, Daniel." Jack's tone was very serious. Daniel could tell Jack was shocked by how bad she looked. Daniel was only mildly surprised to see a sarcophagus in the middle of the room.

"Put her in, quickly. We don't have a lot of time." As Daniel laid her inside, he checked her pulse and realized it was gone. She also wasn't breathing. As the doors closed Daniel leaned against the wall and stared at the vile machine that he hoped would yet again rescue a friend.

It took over twenty minutes for the machine to stop humming. Jack, Teal'c, and the marine escorts had been coming and going from the room, occasionally having to repel a few stray Jaffa. Luckily, no organized forces had shown up yet. The marines in the ring room had successfully repelled two more assaults since Daniel left them.

Sam tried to open her eyes only to find herself surrounded by a blinding white light. She felt the pain leaving her body. Heaven she figured. The thought didn't bring her as much joy as she had always hoped. She was too disappointed that she hadn't seen Jack and Teal'c again before she died. She hadn't really gotten to tell them goodbye. She hoped her father would be all right. She hoped this wouldn't cause another break between her father and her brother.

The sarcophagus doors slid open. Everyone stared at the open space. No one spoke and they were each holding their breath. Sam's hands appeared, followed by her head as she slowly sat up. Daniel ran over to her and put his hand on her back to give her some extra support.

"Daniel?"

"It's alright, Sam."

"I thought I was dead."

"You were." Jack spun around and his face flashed with shock at Daniel's words.

"Alright kids, we gotta blow this popsicle stand. Can you walk Sam?"

"Yes, sir." Daniel helped her up and out of the sarcophagus.

"That's my major."

"I am glad you are alright, Major Carter."

"Thanks, Teal'c."

Together they made their way back to the ring room. They didn't encounter any hostiles until they got one passageway from the ring room. They could hear the staff blasts and ricochets from the P90's before they rounded the corner. The Jaffa were taken by complete surprise when SG-1 and their marine escorts opened fire from behind them. The Jaffa were quickly neutralized.

SG-1 and all the marines ringed out in two groups and made their way back to the Stargate. As they reached the gate, the mothership leaned to the right and slowly crashed into the planet. As the right side of the ship hit the ground, the left side was ripped apart by an explosion.

"I guess we timed that one about right."

"Jack, you didn't mention any explosives."

"I didn't want to rush you, Daniel."

"Rush me!"

General Hammond was thrilled to see all six teams return with only minor injuries. He was overjoyed to see Major Carter walk down the ramp without assistance.

"Colonel, was your mission a success?"

"Yes, General. There is one less mothership out there to cause us trouble."

"Good to hear. Major Carter, how are you feeling?"

"Much better, sir. Thank you."

"Everyone head to the infirmary and get cleaned up. We will debrief in one hour."

Everyone got through his or her post mission medicals with a clean bill of health. The doctor was shocked at Major Carter's recovery. She still ordered a week of down time, just to be sure everything would be all right and to give Sam a chance to put on some weight. The debrief was quick and Sam wasn't able to add anything, since she had pretty much slept through the whole thing.

SG-1 insisted on taking her home again that night. They wanted to make sure she was really ok. They each went to the spaces they had made their own while she was sick and they slept peacefully all night. Sam woke the next morning to the smell of bacon. Jack and Daniel were in the kitchen. Teal'c was in the living room reading the newspaper.

"Hungry?" Jack smiled. It was unlike any smile she had ever seen on his face.

"Starving!"

"Well there's plenty to choose from but take it easy. You haven't eaten much the last week or so." Daniel had a very serious yet concerned look on his face.

"Yes, Dad." They all sat down to enjoy the orange juice, coffee, muffins, waffles, eggs, and bacon. All three men kept looking at her, as if they were making sure it was true.

After breakfast Daniel packed up the stuff he had brought over during the last weeks camp out. Teal'c had only brought a few candles and a couple of outfits, so he was finished packing first. Jack had his stuff spread all over. He also didn't seem to be moving quite as quickly as Daniel and Teal'c.

"Hey Teal'c, would you like a ride back to the base?"

"Yes, thank you Daniel Jackson."

"Sam, we'll see you tomorrow, if that's alright."

"That would be great. I'm going to be bored stiff for the next week unless you guys help me stay entertained."

"That will also give us a chance to return that television to the rental store." Sam couldn't help but laugh. She wouldn't mind not having that monstrosity in her bedroom, although it had been useful while she was bedridden.

Sam walked Daniel and Teal'c to the door and waved as they climbed in Daniel's car. She could hear the Colonel in the kitchen. She went in and found him wiping the counters. He looked so domestic. It was a side of him she didn't often see so she just watched. His hand was moving slower as he got to the end of the counter.

"Are you really ok, Carter?" He didn't turn around as he spoke.

"Yes, sir." She wanted to go over, put her arms around him, and hold him close to her. She wanted to tell him how much she had feared leaving him. She wanted everything to change but remain the same.

He turned around and really looked at her. It was the first time he had studied her since she stepped out of that contraption.

"Thank you, sir."

"You're welcome, Carter." He took a step towards her. His hand reached out towards her hand. The moment that they both thought was about to happen, that they both wanted to happen, was interrupted by the ringing of the phone. She didn't move until the third ring. She reached across the counter and grabbed the handset. He watched the line of skin that appeared between her jeans and shirt as she leaned over. His hands flinched at the thought of touching her right there and he smirked just a bit.

"Hello." He was brought back to reality by her voice.

"Pete, it's good to hear from you." She looked at her CO.

"Yeah, I'm sorry it's been so long. It took me a while to work through my last mission." She could tell something in his face had changed since she picked up the phone. He walked out of the kitchen and went to the living room.

"This weekend?" Just as she was walking out of the kitchen, intending to follow him, he bumped into her. He had his bag in his hand and was headed towards the door. She put her hand on his arm.

"That would be fine." He looked up at her and smiled. It wasn't a happy smile, but it wasn't a sad smile. She didn't know how to classify it.

She let go of him. He walked out the door towards his truck. She was still talking to Pete when he turned around and looked back at her. Their eyes locked. She still didn't understand the smile on his face.

He did understand the pained look on her face. He knew how she felt. He would hold onto that until she was ready.
Kapitel Abschlussbemerkung:
hope you enjoyed