Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

General Jack Year Four

by Flatkatsi
[Reviews - 9]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Story Bemerkung:
This story continues straight after the events in General Jack Year Three.
Looking Up – General Jack Year Four - Part One

"If you hold your arms like this," Thor said as he demonstrated, "and pivot your hips slightly, you will find it easier."

Doing as he suggested, I was pleased to finally manage the twist and turn, smoothly coming to a halt beside him.

"Did the council talk to the Ghi'tain ambassador about my visit? If it's been given the okay I thought I'd schedule it for next week." I knew Thor was comfortable conversing in Earth time, unlike his fellow Asgard. "I should be ready to travel by then. Eriffer gave me the results of the latest tests." I couldn't resist spinning slowly as I spoke, but stopped when Thor gave me a rather pointed stare. "The treatment seems to finally be working. I should be back to normal within a few days."

I ignored Thor's mutter, just catching the words "Odin help us." but made a mental note to do some research into Asgard religious beliefs and send it to Daniel.

Much though I hated the daily dose of drugs administered by rather large and surprisingly old-fashioned needles, and the hours of sleep I needed after them, it was worth it to finally be rid of the debilitating mood swings and depression. At first it had seemed the problem was too hard even for the Asgard medics, my waking moments filled with more and more frequent flashbacks. Each time I experienced one I fought with myself to dispel the self-loathing that followed. Knowing why it was happening made things a little easier, but only a little as logic gave way to the instinct to just crawl into a hole and die.

This was exactly what Daniel had been so worried about. But he'd also been right about something else – Thor hadn't let me do it. For such a tiny creature, Thor had been a towering presence, there whenever he was able to take time from his duties. He dragged me out of that hole and made me think about something other than my own problems, doing the whole tourist sightseeing thing, showing me as much of his home as he could in the limited times between treatments.

I'll give the Asgard credit – they were very careful to not be seen staring, but I did feel like a sort of nine day wonder every time I set foot outside the medical facility. It was odd as I wasn't the only alien walking around their planet. I had seen some very strange beings that made the little grey Asgard look positively normal, even some other humans – or at least I thought they were – but it was always me that was the center of very polite attention. When I finally asked, Thor had been quite matter-of-fact about it. I was the first human ambassador, and as such, was a source of much speculation. I had to wonder if that was the complete truth, or if he was holding something back.

Then, as Eriffer and his team refined their treatment, learning as they went, a balance was found. Gradually, I came back to myself, finding a peace I hadn't felt for months. Waking after nights of dreamless sleep, I began to believe I would win, that I would beat this thing – that finally the last vestiges of Ramsey's presence were gone.

I did a happy little jig at the thought, moving across the large room and back again, executing a forward tuck. Yeap – I'd so got the hang of this. I went into a pleasant little daydream of retiring and opening a chain of gyms, complete with Asgard rehabilitation facilities. World-wide coverage, franchises, videos, merchandize, ball caps, scarves, sunglasses - .even a range of toys. Dollar signs started floating past me.

And were joined by Thor as he did a perfect reverse three and a half somersault with a half twist, stopping an inch from my head.

"He is pleased with your progress?"

"Very. Tomorrow's treatment will be the last, then he'll run a few more tests over the next week or so just to confirm the results, but he seems pretty positive." I spun again. "And my knees are even better than normal. They haven't been this good since my parachute mishap in the 80s." I decided to demonstrate, diving rapidly.

I was born to fly.

Thor paced me, accelerating just before we reached the bottom and positioned himself beneath me. I think he had forgotten I was a pilot.

I pulled out of the dive with twist of my legs and a flap of my arms, and came to a perfect landing on the gravity pad.


"So – the Ghi'tain visit?"

"The ambassador has agreed. His council leader has expressed a great deal of interest in meeting the Earth ambassador. They have never had close contact with humans. You should be prepared for many rather personal questions – the Ghi'tains are a very curious people." He smiled as I laughed, clearly thinking back, as I was, to the first time I had met the Asgard, when I had said the same thing about my own race.

The Ghi'tain ambassador was one of the beings I had encountered on my walks with Thor – walks I now realised had also been carefully designed to build up my strength. The ambassador and I had hit it off immediately, which was odd when you considered that I couldn't even come close to pronouncing the name of the five foot tall insect-like creature whose wings hung like thin spider webs from four long arms.

I was looking forward to seeing their civilization. Brymer had been very excited when I mentioned the possibility of visiting their planet – apparently very few Asgard had been allowed on Ghi'tain, and no other races.

I just had to clear it with my own superiors. Although what they didn't know wouldn't hurt them.

I waved my arms and rose until I could touch the transparent ceiling, and staring out at the brilliance of the Orilla night sky began humming 'In the Hall of the Mountain King' – just seemed appropriate somehow.

***********

I woke to the sound of the communication system giving its insistent beep – it didn't seem like you could get away from telephones even in a distant galaxy. I shoved Garmr aside and shook my right arm to get some feeling back into it, grimacing as pins and needles began to race along it.

"O'Neill." I spoke into the air, my voice stopping the noise.

"We have received a message for you, General, from the SGC. They ask that you contact them as soon as possible"

Interesting. This was the first contact I'd had except for some standard reports I'd sent back basically just so they'd know I was settling in. Naturally I'd left a lot of details out – well, actually, nearly every detail.

"Thank you. Put it through when I've dressed."

I threw on jeans and a shirt, not bothering to get my uniform out of the closet, and gave my face a quick wash to help wake up, before giving the okay. Within a few seconds I was standing in the briefing room of the SGC.

"Hank." I concealed a smirk when Landry jumped at the sound of my voice.

"Jack, I didn't expect to be answered so soon. If you could wait a minute while I get the others back in?"

"Sure." I pulled up a chair from beside my bed and sat back, prepared to wait.

When Hank returned with Doctor Lam and sat down I decided to find out what the hell was going on.

"Hank? What's so urgent?"

He shook his head. "Sorry, Jack, could you hold your questions for just a bit longer. There's still…" He stopped as the briefing room door opened. I sat up straighter, resisting the urge to stand, a sinking feeling in my stomach.

"General O'Neill." General Vidrine, followed by Colonel MacKenzie, made his way to the head of the table. He gave me a searching look as he pulled out a chair, commenting as he sat, "You're out of uniform."

I was way too old for this crap. And way too ornery.

"I'm dressed. Given that it's the equivalent to 3am here and you woke me from a sound sleep I think you should be thankful I bothered to do that." I raised an eyebrow and followed it up with "Sir." I plastered a patently insincere smile on my face and continued, "We could delay this for half an hour. That should give me plenty of time to get myself more appropriately attired."

"No, that won't be necessary." Vidrine placed a briefcase on the table as he spoke and began to remove several files. "I didn't take the time difference into account when I called this meeting."

I noticed he didn't apologise so felt no need to make a polite response.

"A meeting I had no prior warning of. What's on the agenda?" As if I didn't know, especially with MacKenzie there.

Vidrine pulled a red covered folder from amongst the rest and began turning the pages while I shrove to stop myself drumming my fingers on the chair arm. It was only when Landry gave an obvious cough that he looked up and spoke.

"I have here the full report from Doctor Kasanji at Peterson of your visits with him." He waited for a second, obviously expecting a response, but continued when he got none. "It makes very disturbing reading."

"How so?" I smiled pleasantly, very grateful Hammond had already given me the news during my visit to Earth, and watched as he exchanged glances with MacKenzie. I saw MacKenzie try to conceal his own answering smile by looking down quickly.

"You experienced these flashbacks and symptoms of post traumatic stress while in command of the most sensitive military base on this planet. And you accepted a position as Earth representative to our most important offworld ally while still experiencing what is a severe mental illness, an illness you are still suffering from."

MacKenzie winced at his terminology. Vidrine wasn't exactly being politically correct.

"Excuse me a moment." I stood and walked into my living area to the food dispenser and pressed the buttons for a strong black coffee. "Sorry, I'm barely awake and if you want to have a sensible discussion with me at this time in the morning, with no opportunity to review the documents you're quoting, then I need something a little more stimulating that a quick wash." I moved slowly, taking my time to give myself a chance to calm down and work out my response.

I took a sip of the hot liquid and let it warm me. The Asgard had analysed the coffee I brought with me, and replicated it as closely as they could. If it were possible I'd say the result was even better than the original. It certainly packed a powerful kick.

I relaxed back into the chair. "Firstly, I was not in command of the SGC while ill. I contacted my immediate superior, General Hammond, as soon as I was aware of the problem and took medical leave soon after." I gave a slight nod in Vidrine's direction. "But I'm sure you know that. I'm surprised General Hammond isn't here."

"He was unavailable."

"I see." I took another sip of my coffee, holding it tightly as Garmr stuck his head in my lap. "As to taking the position with the Asgard – the Asgard high council was fully aware of my illness when they requested my appointment. General Hammond briefed them fully."

"Actually, General O'Neill, he approached them."

What?

Vidrine continued, pointing to a file. "I have evidence that he and Commander Thor conferred extensively before your appointment and that it was in fact, your illness that was the main reason the position of ambassador was created. My sources tell me that…" He looked down and read from the file, "General O'Neill has shown signs of extreme depression and General Hammond held grave fears that O'Neill would take his own life. He approached Commander Thor for help and between them decided you would be safer in Orilla under Asgard care." He looked up again. "What do you have to say to this, General? Is your appointment merely a pretence?"

A weight pressed suddenly against my leg and Garmr gave an annoyed growl. I wasn't the only one who wanted to go back to bed. I gave him a push with my leg to shut him up while keeping my eyes firmly on Vidrine. I was only thankful he'd waited so long to confront me with this – even last week my response would have been completely different. Now all I felt was gratefulness to Thor and George for what they did.

"I have no knowledge of the Asgard's motives for appointing me as Earth ambassador, General. You'll have to take that up with them and with General Hammond. Regardless of the motives for my appointment, I intend to carry it out to the best of my ability and do my best to represent my planet honorably." I reached out and put the now empty coffee mug on the small table at my side. "As to my illness – I will send you an update for my file. The Asgard identified a chemical imbalance and have been able to correct it. The final treatment was yesterday. Perhaps you would like to have your doctors read that information before making any decision on my ability to represent Earth here or anywhere else." I gave him another thin smile. "I could ask the medics here to simplify their report so that you can better understand it."

Vidrine opened his mouth, his expression extremely displeased to put it mildly, and I had the fleeting thought that maybe I shouldn't be quite so snarky. Fortunately I was saved by the bell – literally.

There was a chime indicating someone was at my door – very odd considering the early hour.

"Excuse me a moment." I turned away from the briefing room and activated the door intercom. "O'Neill here."

The lilting language of the Ghi'tain sang through the com. "I saw you were awake, Ambassador, and thought we could confer about your visit."

Wondering how he/she/it had known I was awake, I opened the door and stood aside so he – I had decided to simplify matters by designating the ambassador as a 'he' – could glide in. "I'm speaking to my home world at the moment, but if you wouldn't mind waiting…" I indicated a chair, not one hundred percent sure he could even sit, but he waved a wing in a gesture I now knew to be the equivalent of a nod, and folded himself into it, tucking his wings neatly around himself.

"Sorry, General Vidrine, may I introduce the ambassador for the planet Ghi'tain. He doesn't understand English, so we can speak freely, but we will have to be brief. Where were we?" It wasn't until the silence had lasted several seconds that I realised the watching humans were still coming to terms with the presence in my room of a large insect.

Hank Landry was the first to break the silence. "You speak their language?"

I nodded. "Just a few phrases. It's easy enough to pick up once you understand the syntax."

There were more glances and pointed looks exchanged.

The ambassador didn't look too interested in meeting the others, he was far more interested in tickling Garmr behind the ears. For some reason the werga liked the Ghi'tain - which was something completely out of character for the irritable, bad tempered animal.

It was time to finish this travesty of a meeting – witchhunt would be more like it. Why give Vidrine any more ammunition to demand my recall to Earth – he had enough as it was.

"I'm sorry, but I do have to finish this up. Was there anything else you wanted? I'll send those medical files as soon as I can and maybe we can reschedule for…" I made a show of looking at my watch – still on Earth time. "Say, tomorrow at 0900?"

Vidrine didn't look too happy, but the others nodded pleasantly and Lam took the chance to ask me how my knees were. I quickly reassured her; pleased someone had bothered to ask. It was with a sense of relief that I terminated the call.

**********

Although I had plenty to occupy myself with until the following morning, I couldn't help my thoughts continually going to the coming meeting. I fully expected to be recalled and find my career flushed down the can. Oh well, as I often thought, I was always in the shit, only the depth varied, and this time it was pretty deep. I just hoped I hadn't dragged George in with me.

I took the time to go for a short run before the meeting and then ate a proper meal, reading over some reports as I did so. Assuming the worst usually meant it happened, and I wasn't going to fall into that trap. Then I put on my dress blues for the first time in weeks.

To my surprise the next meeting wasn't being held at the SGC. I found myself standing in the Oval Office, with President Hayes and Generals Jumper and Maynard. Vidrine was nowhere in sight.

"Jack, it's good to see you looking so well." The President gestured for us all to sit and I took the chair I had placed within the hologram's range as he continued. "We've received General Vidrine's report and I have to say I couldn't have been more pleased by it."

"Sir?" He wanted me out? I really hadn't expected that.

"He recommends your appointment as ambassador to the Asgard be confirmed and that you be commended for your professional handling of your responsibilities despite your recent illness. He further recommends your medical file be updated to reflect your complete recovery and that there are no further concerns regarding your continued career with the Air Force." He smiled broadly, obviously recognising my total shock. "In fact, he also recommended you be promoted to Lieutenant General to better reflect your current position – a suggestion General Jumper is fully in agreement with."

"Congratulations, Jack." John Jumper looked like he wanted to slap me on the back and was finding it hard to work out how to do it. "A third star – well deserved."

I blinked.

"I think General O'Neill is a bit stunned." Maynard was also smiling, in fact the three men were all looking rather pleased with themselves.

"Ah, yes sir. I expected to be asked to retire." As soon as the words left my mouth I wanted to swallow them back down. Why give them ideas.

As if it hadn't occurred to them already.

But then all three of them burst out laughing.

Maybe they were alien impostures? Wasn't there an episode of the Simpsons where – oh, shut up Jack and just go with the flow!

I waited for the general hilarity to die down then smiled graciously. "Thank you, Mister President. I am honored by your faith in me."

Things were looking up at last.

********

TBC