Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Then There's You

by Reggie Rogue
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Then There's You

Then There's You

by Reggie Rogue

Summary: Jack's having a bad day
Category: Filk/Song, Humor, Romance
Season: any Season
Pairing: Jack/Sam
Rating: FAM
Warnings: none
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 2005-01-11

Jack let out a loud groan as he reached to turn off the alarm clock that was screaming for him to get up. He sighed as he sat up and looked at the clock, 7:00 am, which meant he had only got four and a half hours of sleep last night, because he got home at 1'n the morning after going to the movies and getting something to eat with Daniel and Teal'c, Carter wanted to finish some report and then go home, so she didn't join them. After getting home last night, Jack laid in bed and wasn't able to get to sleep until 2:30.

~Another Monday morning

Gotta clear my head

No more time for dreaming~

Jack got out of bed and went in to the bathroom, opened his medicine cabinet, grabbed the aspirin, tossed them into the back of his throat, took a drink out of the sink, and swallowed them.

"It's going to be one of those days" Jack said to himself.

After Jack did he's regular morning round of getting ready, he grabbed himself a peace of toast and a cup of coffee and headed for the door.

Jack locked his house door, then glanced up at the sky and noticed it looked grey on this Monday morning.

"Great" he said then got in his car and headed to the base for yet another day of work.

~Traffic was a nightmare~

"Oh for crying out loud" Jack said 10 minutes later as he saw the huge traffic jam he was headed for and there was no way around it.

While Jack was waiting he decided to eat his breakfast.

"Crap" Jack said, he had taken a sip of coffee and found out that it had not yet cooled, so he jerked the cup from his mouth only to ended up spilling some over the other side of the cup and burnt the hand that was holding the cup, and as you all know that it is a natural reflex too try and stop the burning with out even using you're brain first :) so Jack dropped the cup to the floor and whipped his hand on his shirt, but on the cups flipping decent down, it spilt hot coffee all over his right pant leg, then landed on the floor.

"DANG-IT!!!!!" he yelled and reached for the glove compartment, yanked it open and grabbed the various drive thru napkins he always put in there and tried to dry his pant leg off. Jack had been so busy trying to dry his pants that he failed to realize that the traffic had started to move.

"BEEEEEEEEEEEP"

"Dang-it" He said again as a car horn sounded behind him.

"Yep defiantly one of those days" he said.

After a forty-five minute drive Jack finally made it to the SGC. After signing in at all the cheek points (which he got some funny looks from the SF's because of his pants), Jack made his way to the elevator and he was about too put his card through the card swiper when someone called out his name....

"Colonel"

Jack stopped, sighed and turned around to face the Airman coming down the hall.

The Airman looked at Jacks coffee stand pants, and his face became amused.

"Yes, Airman?" Jack asked with a tone that said `If you're smart, you'll drop it!'

"General Hammond would like to see you in his office sir" the Airman answered trying hard to keep a straight face.

"Thank you Airman" Jack snapped. The Airman nodded and left. Jack turned back to the elevator and swiped his card, 'I'm so changing first' he thought to himself.

Twenty minutes later, after Jack had changed from his civvies to his BDU's, he walked into the briefing room and over to his CO's office door and knocked on it, a "come in" was shortly followed.

"General, you wanted to see me?"

"Yes, Colonel. I wanted to talk to you about you're reports"

"My reports sir?"

"Yes Colonel, when do you intend on doing them?"

"I don't know sir, when I get around too it I guess......"

"I need you to finish all of you're reports today Colonel"

"Today!(?)" Jack said in surprise.

"Yes TODAY Colonel"

"But General that would take all day, and maybe the night to"

"Well I guess you better get started" the General started to become annoyed.

"Sir I'll do them, but ya gotta give me a couple a days, a week tops"

The General looked straight into Jacks eyes and said in a low stressed, annoyed, and tired voice "Colonel I have a million things to do around here and the last thing I need is for my 2IC to goof off on his work, so you will go and finish all of you're reports today! Now get out of my office and go do them before I have you suspended"

~Boss is on my back

If I hear one more cross word I think I'm gonna crack~

Jack sat in his office staring at his computer screen trying to concentrate. Why is it that when you need to focus to get something done that your brain decides to take a vacation? Jack let out a loud sigh and laid back in his chair and ran his hands over his face.

~Then there's you, coming in right on cue~

"Having a hard time Sir?"

Jack jumped so high in his chair that he probable set a new world record.

"Ah, Carter don't ever do that again!" Jack said glaring at her.

"Sorry Sir, I would have knocked but the door was open" She gestured to the open door to prove her point.

"S'ok. What can I do for you Major?" Jack asked, tiredness soaked his voice and he slumped back in the chair.

She put a folder on his desk and said "General Hammond wanted me to give you this. There reports to sign."

"Oh great! Just what I always wanted, more paper work to do! Hammond yells at me about my late reports and then what does he do? Gives me more!" came a sarcastic remark.

"Don't let the General get to you Sir, he's just uptight because the base inspectors are coming tomorrow" she did a little chuckle then put on a million dollar smile and add "He even has the Airmen spit-shining all the lights!"

Jack couldn't help but laugh and smile. Sam always did this to him, even if the world was caving in on him, she could always make him feel better!

"Sir I'm done with all my reports, so I could help you with yours if you want?" She volunteered.

Jack looked at her with hope in his eyes and sat foreword in his chair and said "really? Carter that would be great! Thank you so much!"

"No problem Sir. You can do the papers on your desk, and I'll type the reports on the computer and make them sound like you typed them, Hammond will never know the difference!"

"I owe you one" Jack said as he got out of the computer chair then grabbed one by the desk and sat in it and grabbed a pile of papers closet to him and started to work.

Sam smiled then sat down in the chair previously owned by Jack and started to work. Unknown to Sam, Jack would often glance at her. He looked at her again and let a small smile come to his lips. 'Maybe it's not such a bad day after all' Jack thought to himself.

~When I say no can do

You give me strength to fight

To see that there's shads of blue

When every things black and white

And then there's youuuuu~

Jack woke up the next morning to his alarm (What a shocker huh?) and got out of bed. Jack didn't know why but he had a good and peaceful feeling fluttering in his stomach. After Jack got a shower, got dressed, shaved his face, and brushed his teeth (He decided he was going to get something to eat on base... just to be safe) he was locking his door when he looked up at the sky and saw that it was cloudless, and there was a warm breeze, this added to Jacks good feeling!

~Sky is clear this morning

Look's like a brighter day

And I don't need to worry when it fades away...

Cause then there's you someone to hold on to~

Jack finely got to the base and after signing in at the check points, he made his way to the elevator and as he got there the elevator doors opened, then out stepped three suit-wearing-briefcase-carrying-men, General Hammond, and Carter.

"Well thank you gentlemen for coming, I'm glad you found the base in good shape" General Hammond said with a proud smile, and started to shake their hands in turn.

Then one of the inspectors said "It was a pleasure to meet you and your personnel General. Your men and women seem very dedicated to their work, and the base is so well kept you could eat off it, even the lights look clean!"

Jack and Sam shared a knowing smile and tried not to laugh. After the inspectors left, Hammond turned to Jack and said to him "Jack, I'm sorry for jumping down your throat yesterday"

"It's okay General. I probable owe you a thanks"

"Oh? Why's that?" Hammond asked.

"Because it was becoming a paper maze in there! You should have seen all the lost Airmen I found in there, oh and I found my game boy in there too"

Sam chuckled, and Hammond smiled and shook his head then said "Only you Jack, only you" then started walking away, but then turned around and said to Sam "By the way Major, good job on the Colonel's reports." he then continued walking away, leaving two stunned and embarrassed officers.

"How did he know?" Sam asked puzzled.

Jack recovered from his shock and said with a smirk "Well you know what they say about mothers with eyes in the back of their heads, I guess it applies with Generals too"

"Come on lets go get something to eat Carter" Jack said and walked to the elevator and swiped his card.

"Sorry sir I already had breakfast, and I got to go finish an experiment"

The elevator opened and they walked in, Jack hit the button for her lab level then the one for the mess.

"That's okay" he said.

Once the elevator doors were shut Jack turned to Sam, he could feel his insides getting tangled up because of the question he was about to ask...

"Can I ask you some thing?" Jack asked seriously.

Sam could see Jack looked a little nervous, and she narrowed her eyes slightly.

"Sure"

"Do you want.....do you think that Hammond really had those poor Airmen spit shine the lights?" 'Wait a second, that wasn't it! Come on Jack you can kill Goa'uld but you can't ask Sam on a date?' Jack thought to himself.

Sam let out a little laugh "I wouldn't put it past him, sir"

Sam and Jack smiled at each other then Jack looked at the floor, 'here goes nothing' "Do you want to go to dinner tonight? I know this great Italian place. It will be a "thank you" for helping me yesterday" Jack asked quickly, his eyes still fascinated with the floor.

'Did he just ask me out?' at this point Sam's insides were doing summersaults. Sam looked at him surprised then smiled "I'd love too" she managed to get out.

Jack's head snapped up and it was his turn to look surprised, but he quickly recovered and smiled at her "Great, I'll pick you up at your house about 18:30?"

"Sounds great" she replied her cheeks a nice shade of pink.

Jack and Sam just stayed there, looking in each others eyes, and unknown to them they started to get closer to each other. Jack then closed the distance and brought his lips to meet hers, he gave her plenty of time to pull a way, but instead she brought her hands up and around his neck. It was a simple kiss yes, but it held so much love that the effect on both of them was electrifying.

~Then there's you

Someone to hold on to

When all my plans fall through

You give me strength to fight

To see that there's shads of blue

When every things black and white

And then there's youuuuu

You keep me worm when nights are cold

You

You light a fire in my sole

Then there's you someone to hold on to

When all my plans fall through

You give me strength to fight

To see that there's shads of blue

When every things black and white

And then there's youuuuu~

The sound and feeling of the elevator stopping made both of them pull apart, they looked in each others eyes and then they both smiled as the doors opened.

"See you later Colonel" Sam choked out, as she got off the elevator, her cheeks still pink and a smile still on her face.

"You can count on it Major" the doors then closed again to take him to another level.

Over the years he and Sam had been trying so hard not to cross the line and be more then friends, but then they kissed. They weren't infected by an alien disease or stuck in a time loop, or any thing like that, it was a real kiss. They were stepping over the line, but the thing was...they were both willing to step it.

Jack kept grinning. Tonight was going to be perfect he would make sure of that. He had every thing planed out, bring her roses, take her to the romantic restaurant, and dance. But... now all he had to think of was a way for them to be together forever... but that's another story for the author to think of ;)

After thought: So what did ya think? well I guess you thought it was ok because your not throwing tomatoes at me...wait a second, why do you guys have torches and pitchforks?... guys...wait... no stay back!... Ahhhh!!!!

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Reggie Rogue