Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Gazing into Inevitability

by Aftyn Victoria
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Gazing Into Inevitability

Gazing Into Inevitability

by Aftyn Victoria

TITLE: Gazing Into Inevitability
AUTHOR: Aftyn Victoria
EMAIL:SamAstarte@Hotmail.com
CATEGORY: Romance, Drama
SPOILERS: None
SEASON / SEQUEL: Sometime after 'The Devil You Know'
RATING: PG
CONTENT WARNINGS: None
SUMMARY: Sam is separated from the others on a mission and is taken prisoner by the Goa'uld, Artemis...
STATUS: Complete
ARCHIVE: Heliopolis
DISCLAIMER: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I wrote this story for entertainment purposes only and I didn't received any money. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the authors.
AUTHOR'S NOTES: First of all, this is my first attempt at a FanFic, so please be nice when sending feedback. Secondly, I have never seen Tok'ra 1 or 2, so don't hate me if I have some facts wrong.

(Off World)

Massive drops of rain hurled down onto the breathless figure scurrying through the murky woods. Malicious cries echoed after the female individual that raced through the damp shrubbery. Energy blasts shattered bark off of the dense trees as lightening crashed in the distance. The woman's legs were growing increasingly sore from running through fields, ice cold rivers and trudging through swamps to escape her Jaffa predators. Major Samantha Carter knew that she would have to find a place to hide soon, otherwise she would collapse from fatigue.

Sam and the other members of SG-1 had been captured one week earlier by the Goa'uld, Artemis. Daniel had convinced the false deity that they had been sent to her by one of the other system lords as a gift. She made Teal'c, Daniel and Jack personal slaves, while Sam was forced to take care of her pet wolves and hounds. They had all escaped from captivity that morning, but Sam had been separated from her comrades in the dark woods.

Artemis' Jaffa had the vicious dogs on leads pulling them in her direction. Sam was at least sixty feet ahead of them, but they were quickly growing closer. With her aching muscles, she was no match for the well-trained soldiers. She could hear their footsteps behind her. Sam continued running while awaiting the death strike from a staff weapon. What she felt was not a shot from a staff weapon, but that of a Zat gun, then she fell to the cold, wet ground. One of the savage canines bit into her thigh, excruciating pain shot through her body. The pain didn't stop until she passed out. Her last moments of consciousness were spent thinking of her dear friends. She prayed they were safe.

Sam was slowly roused by the sharp pricking of the cold against her soft skin. She felt as though she was suffering from the worst hangover of her life, but then she recalled the previous days events. Her surroundings were spinning wildly; shapes were distorted and colors were merging. Her hearing was awry. Voices were either excruciatingly high or irritatingly low.

The only things she could tell from her surroundings was that they were still in the woods. The rain had subsided, and it was now drizzling. The temperature seemed to have dropped and being soaking wet wasn't helping. Sam closed her eyes to shut out the strange lights and began to grope at her surroundings. She appeared to be riding on a cart of some sort. There was a wet piece of cloth beneath her.

Before she could explore further, the cart came to a sudden halt. There was a new voice now, it was screeching orders that Sam was unable to decipher. The cart she was riding on began to move once more and she instinctively opened her eyes to see where they were going, but she wished she hadn't because effulgent lights started to swirl around her. She shut her eyes tightly to make them stop.

Along with the lights, the rain stopped. When she opened her eyes, everything was bright yellow, but she was no longer cold; they were inside somewhere. Sam's hearing was slowly returning to normal. She could now understand what people were saying; her surrounding were still, but they remained yellow. There was a Jaffa approaching her. Sam lashed out in an attempt to hit him, but she severely lacked balance and ended up falling off of the cart onto the hard ground made of stone.

The Jaffa spoke to her in his language, but by his tone, Sam knew he was scolding her. He raised his fist to back hand her, but a woman spoke. He lowered his arm and turned to face the speaker. It was Artemis. Afraid of being attacked, Sam decided it was best if she stood up. She stumbled to her feet, but nearly fell; the Jaffa next to her supported her back until she managed to keep her balance.

"Why am I here?" Sam's voice came out as a hoarse whisper. The yellow was beginning to fade, and other colors were appearing.

"Your cohorts have managed to escape, but you have not. You will pay for theirs and your impudence." Artemis was a few feet in front of Sam. She wore a silver toga that reached the floor.

"My friends will come for me."

"I don't think so. They probably think you're dead!"

"No!" Sam's voice was shrill and tinged with anger. She reached to her right for the staff weapon the Jaffa next to her was holding and pressed it against Artemis' stomach. Artemis stood with an expression that was nearly as stoic as Teal'c's. The Jaffa in the room were not as passive however, they were yelling at her and had their weapons aimed.

"If you kill me, I will rise again, but you will not. You will be tortured until you die." Sam heard the words of the Goa'uld, but they never sunk in. She prepared to fire the weapon. "You heard me, I would have you tortured like your past Tok'ra was tortured. You will die slowly as I watch." Sam made the mistake of pondering the words of the enemy before her. She let her guard down and one of the Jaffa grabbed her from behind, the staff weapon fired towards the ground.

Someone tore the weapon from her hand as she fell to the ground, and tears poured from her eyes; she was alone with these strangers. Why? Why hadn't she died out in the woods? A high-pitched shriek escaped her lips; she was alone!

A voice deep inside of Sam told her to stand up and act with dignity. She might be alone, but she could handle it. She was strong, independent and intelligent. She would make it. Following the orders of her conscience, Sam brought herself to her feet and stared into the possessed eyes of the Goa'uld.

(Earth)

"General, we have to go after her!" Colonel O'Neill's voice was adamant and uncompromising.

"Colonel, you yourself told me that there was a Goa'uld on the planet. She has at least a hundred Jaffa which you saw. She probably has several more and she wants you dead." The colonel remained resolute as he watched the older man try to reason with him. "Dr. Jackson said that they were chasing you in the forest and when Major Carter got separated from you, some went after her. He also said that she had gone in the opposite direction of the StarGate." The general let out a reluctant sigh. "Son, we're going to have to think about the possibility that she's dead."

"No!"

"Jack, calm down." Daniel stood up from where he had been watching the two men argue. "We'll go after her in a few hours once we can be sure everything's calmed down."

"That could be too late, Danny!" Jack turned to face the archeologist who had been seated across from him. "What if they're torturing her as we speak? What if they're using Jolinar's memories? Maybe they're even thinking about making her a host. We have to hurry!"

"Colonel!" The general wore an expression that told everyone in the room that he had had enough of the insubordinate colonel. "Airmen, take him to the brig to cool down!"

"Oh, for crying out loud, General!" Two airmen took a hold of Jack's arms and led him out of the room as he swore at them under his breath. Once the doors had been shut again, Daniel turned to the General.

"What're we going to do?"

"First of all, her father should know what's going on, I'll get a team to go out and find him." Daniel nodded his consent to the plan. "But son, I think we really need to look at this logically;, the odds that major Carter is alive are slim. Really slim."

"Are we at least going to try and help her?"

"That depends on what the MALP sends back to us... if it shows any type of hostile action, we scrub the rescue." Daniel's face dropped and he turned to exit the briefing room. "I'm sorry... I know what she meant to all of you." Teal'c stood up and followed Daniel.

(Off World)

Once the burly man unlatched the door that had a serpent carved onto it, he threw Sam into it. She rolled across the slippery floor and fell down four or five stairs before stopping. Very slowly, she sat up to observe her surroundings. The walls were made of gray stones, the floor was hardened soil and the windows had metal rods instead of glass. It was a typical holding cell. She was alone in the dank room.

Once she found a seat on the ground in one of the corners, she allowed her mind to wander. She remembered Cassie's first birthday on Earth and how she and the others had had to explain several of the rituals to her. Mark's kids came to mind; they were growing up so fast, and she would probably never see them again. The thought of Mark brought the image of her father to mind. Sam wondered how he was faring with the Tok'ra. Martouf was probably leading him through the experience. Martouf. He was, in fact, the perfect man. Handsome, heroic and brave, polite, intelligent, kind... The list went on forever. Sam fell asleep thinking about the Tok'ra.

(Earth)

"Jacob, Martouf... I wish you were here under better circumstances." General Hammond extended his hand to both men before leading them out of the gate room and towards the briefing room.

"Has there been any word?" Anxiety and fear were etched on Jacob's face.

"No, I'm sorry. We'll be sending the MALP through in a few hours." The general hated to be the bearer of bad news. He could see Jacob's internal wheels turning, most likely coming up with worst and best case scenarios.

"What Goa'uld has her?" Martouf's voice was void of emotion, his face apathetic, but his eyes revealed his turmoil.

"Artemis. We've never come across her before, have you?"

"Yes - " Martouf's voice bared his disappointment, Artemis was obviously not the best Goa'uld to have Sam.

They walked the rest of the way in silence, each man lost in his own thoughts, but all shared the same subject: Sam. Martouf and Jacob sat across from the General. Daniel and Teal'c arrived shortly after. Jack was being released as they spoke.

"Are you going to send out a rescue team?" Jacob wasn't going to waste his time here if George wasn't planning on doing anything. He would leave and find her himself if he had to.

"If the MALP sends back images that show no sign of hostility." Jack entered with an airman standing at his side. The general nodded to the airman after he saluted, and Jack took a seat next to General Hammond.

"And if the MALP shows images with hostility, you will forget about saving her."

"Now Martouf, there's noth - " The general tried to defend his plan, but Jack cut him off and stood to shake his fist in the Tok'ra's face.

"Look, Martouf, you shouldn't be talking since you guys were going to leave us to die on Netu!"

"That was different, Colonel O'Neill; there was a higher objective then." A warning look from general Hammond told Jack to return to his seat and to keep his mouth shut.

"As I was trying to say earlier, if there's a sign of battle, I don't want to risk several of my men's lives when we're not even sure if Major Carter's alive."

"She's alive, General; Sam's a fighter." The general shot Daniel a look that told him he should join O'Neill in his silence.

(Off World)

Sam was roused by the opening of her cell's door. A man in a thick coat of mail, animal hide and soft fur was approaching her. His face was half covered by a thick disgusting beard that looked to be infested with all sorts of mites, but Sam was unable to verify her suspicion because of its dark color. The brute let out a snort that passed for a laugh when he saw Sam stand up and ready herself for whatever he was about to do.

When he stood about four feet from her, his hand pulled a Zat gun from a previously hidden pocket. He aimed it at her, but Sam kicked it from his hand, and it landed on the opposite side of the room. The disgusting man scowled at her before charging her. With his superior body weight, he rammed her into the stone wall, effectively winding her. With his elbow, he knocked the side of her head, rendering her unconscious.

(Earth)

Jacob and Martouf stood alone in temporary quarters. Jacob was pacing in front of the bed, and the second Tok'ra was seated on the edge of the bed. Both were trying to decide what to do about Jacob's daughter, Samantha Carter of Earth.

"Jacob, I trust your people greatly, but I don't believe they are taking the best course of action."

"Yeah, I don't either, but there's not much else we can do." Martouf stood and faced Jacob who had ceased pacing momentarily.

"What if I go to the planet and try to find her?"

"Martouf, I can't ask you to do that."

"You don't have to, I want to find her. I know she's alive; I can feel it." Jacob studied his friend for several minutes. This man had done so much for him in the short time he had known him. For starters, he had helped him get his life back, even if he did have to share his body now. He had helped Sam find him on that Hell planet, Netu, as well. Now, he wanted to save his baby girl from who knows what kind of a monster. He was a friend in every sense of the word. "Jacob, If I go after Samantha, I do it of my own free will, not because you or anyone else asks me to. If General Hammond plans on sending a rescue team through the gate, then I will go with them; if he doesn't, then I will go alone."

"Thank you, Martouf."

(Off World)

Her arms and legs were restrained by leather straps when Samantha regained consciousness. A metal band that wrapped around her forehead held her head still. A plain white tunic was the only thing adorning her body. Dim lights surrounded the platform she was confined to. Since Sam was unable to move her head to see if she was alone, so she relied on her hearing.

There was noise coming from her left side, as if someone was mixing something in a glass container. Then the noise stopped and was replaced by heavy footsteps coming towards her. When the brute came into her view carrying a glass vial, Sam began to thrash as much as her restraints would allow.

"If you do not hold still, I might end up killing you... and I wouldn't want to do that." His voice was rough, like sand paper. Its sinister tone sent chills down her spine. The man dipped a small white cloth in a red colored liquid before rubbing it across the left side of her neck. He turned his back to her, then returned with what appeared to be a primitive version of the hypodermic needle.

The reality of her situation suddenly hit Sam. The colonel wasn't here to save her this time. She might never see her friends and relatives again. The brute transferred the liquid from the vial into the needle and stuck it into the area he had dampened on her neck.

Pain ran up her neck and suddenly a burning sensation filled her skull. It felt as if her mind was on fire. Sam's body began to shudder uncontrollably and perspiration moistened her forehead. Between convulsions, Sam prayed for death. She prayed for relief. Unfortunately, it took an hour for unconsciousness to claim her mind and body.

When Sam woke up, she was in complete darkness. She fumbled for something familiar, her hands found the stone walls of her cell. That was when she grasped the fact that the room wasn't in fact dark; it was her sight. She was blind.

There was a rustling of the small amount of straw in the corner next to her. She inherently moved away from the noise. What she couldn't see was the rat that was larger than her foot crawling towards her. She prayed to whatever deity would listen; she prayed for the strength to overcome the pain and misery that surrounded her.

She didn't see the rat open its jaw and dig its teeth into her bare ankle. Despite the severe pain, no tears came. Blood trickled onto the floor, the creature's red eyes watched its victim. It decided to take another bite to see if Sam would brush it away or attack it. The woman made a small noise as the rat took another scrap of her flesh into its small snout. Sam's arm struck the creature and knocked it across the room where it scurried through a small hole.

(Earth)

The remaining members of SG-1, the Tok'ra visitors, general Hammond and the technicians were standing in the computer room watching a MALP go through the gate. Everyone was silent as the device wheeled through the gate. All eyes were on the computer screen, waiting to see Sam's fate.

When the MALP finally began sending images back, there was no evidence of a threat. Several seconds later, several Jaffa emerged from the forest and began firing at the device. They remembered the first MALP that came through as a forewarning of the Tau'ri.

"I'm sorry Jacob, but I'm not going to send my people on a suicide mission for one person who might not be alive." General Hammond's stern military voice was laced with sincere sympathy and a hint of regret. It was then that Martouf stepped forward to face the general.

"Then I wish to go through the StarGate."

"Martouf, I can't stop you from going after Major Carter, but I can tell you that you might be signing your own death warrant and I would hate to see you dead."

"Thank you general Hammond, but I must go."

"You're a good man, Martouf, I wish you all the luck in the world." General Hammond patted Martouf's shoulder in a caring nature.

"General, permission to go with him?" Jack wasn't about to allow Martouf to go after their friend alone.

"Denied Colonel." Both Jack and Daniel looked at him in a questioning manner and began to stammer their pleas, but the general held his hand up to stop them. "As I said before, I'm not going to send my people on a suicide mission. I'm sorry colonel, but you're under my command and I will not allow you to go."

"What about me! I'm not under your command, so I should be able to go!" Daniel's mouth was moving before consulting his mind, as usual.

"Sorry, Dr. Jackson, but as long as you're on SG-1, you're under my command." General Hammond noticed that every face in the room, with the exception of Martouf, wore a dejected expression. "Look men, I've said my peace, I'm not going to change my mind. I have a great respect for major Carter, she's one of the smartest and most reliable people I've had the pleasure of meeting, but it'll be a miracle if she gets out of this alive." He took a deep breath before continuing. "Carter's gotten out of some pretty tough jams, but with five or ten Jaffa chasing her in territory that she's not familiar with, I doubt she could've escaped... I'm sorry."

"Please Dial the gate." Martouf glared at general Hammond, how dare he doubt Samantha, she was a warrior, a scholar and a not one to give up easily. The technician looked to the general for his consent and he gave it by nodding. With that Martouf left the room to go to the StarGate.

When the seventh chevron locked and the gate sprang to life, Martouf walked up the ramp slowly. He knew that he might be risking his life, but right then, that didn't really matter. He had to see Samantha again, he had to look upon her angelic face and run his fingers her silky blonde hair.

Martouf reached the other side and began to walk down the steps of the StarGate platform. Several Jaffa walked out of the woods and began to walk towards him. A plan began to form in his mind. Since he could never win in a battle when he was outnumbered so greatly, he would have to use wit. He would have to deceive them and have them take him to Samantha. Then they could escape quietly and hopefully unnoticed. He could use the lie the Tau'ri had told Artemis to his advantage.

One of the Jaffa, Martouf presumed he was the leader, yelled for him to explain his business. Martouf explained to the men that he was sent to apologize to Artemis for the insolence of the gifts she had received. The guards seemed suspicious at first, but eventually accepted his explanation and two of them led him to a massive temple with several statues of the goddess Artemis placed outside of it.

A woman with mahogany hair sat in an elaborate throne made of gold and covered with colorful silks. She wore a silver tunic, jewels were woven throughout her hair and her feet were adorned by golden sandals. This was Artemis; it had to be. Martouf took note of the ribbon device on her hand.

One of the Jaffa left his side and approached the false deity. He bowed to show his reverence, when he finally stood, he whispered to her about Martouf's presence. Artemis looked up from her servant to observe her visitor. A mischievous smile formed across her lips and then she motioned for Martouf to come forward. Knowing he didn't want to upset her so early in his plan, he bowed deeply to show respect.

"Rise and speak." Her voice was all too familiarly Goa'uld.

"I have come to ask your forgiveness for the ones that were sent to you as gifts. They were disobedient and therefore deserve to be punished. I will take them back with me if you allow it." Artemis began to laugh wickedly.

"Three of them escaped and I do not know where, but the fourth, she is already being taken care of." Martouf struggled to remain stoic as possible. His heart was being torn from his chest, Samantha was being 'taken care of'. He knew all too well that that meant tortured.

"With much respect to you divine Artemis, my master wishes to punish her himself." The evil chuckling returned, but quickly subsided, allowing her to speak.

"If you wish to see how we have taken care of her, my guards will show her to you. If not, leave."

"I wish to see her."

"Very well." Artemis then turned to her guards and instructed them to take Martouf to the prisoner in Goa'uld. The Jaffa nodded and then motioned for Martouf to follow him.

The guard pushed the door open and led the prisoner's visitor in. He told the Tok'ra that he would be outside the door in case there was trouble. Once the door was closed once again, Martouf ran to Sam's side and cupped her face in his hand, lifting it up so he could see her.

"Samantha?" She recoiled from his touch and the sound of his voice. "Samantha? Can you hear me?" Sam opened her eyes, but she couldn't see anything, so it didn't do her much good. She could however hear the familiar voice of Martouf.

"Martouf? How'd you get here?" He smiled as she reached out to touch his arm, but his happiness quickly disappeared when he realized she couldn't see him.

"Samantha, you can't see! What did they do to you?"

"They... they injected me with something that caused me to convulse and I'm pretty sure that's what caused the blindness."

"What did it look like? Color? Smell?"

"It was a reddish liquid that some guy injected into my neck." Martouf looked back at the closed door and then around the room for any means of escape. None.

"Samantha, it sounds like Soa'ur, but I can't be sure."

"So what's Soa'ur?" Sam forced a smile, but was unable to keep it for long when Martouf didn't answer her. "Martouf, answer me, what is Soa'ur?"

"It's a substance that creates a disease within the body."

"What kind of disease?"

"A disease that causes the body to slowly shut down, it first attacks sight, then smell and it begins to shut the nervous system down completely."

"Is there an antidote?" Sam's voice was hopeful, but despair was beginning to set in.

"No... The only way I know to survive is to blend." Samantha opened her mouth to speak, but no sound came out. A few tears began to stream down her cheeks, but she quickly wiped them away.

"Please, Martouf, get me out of here!" Her whispered plea was urgent and despondent.

"Samantha, Artemis believes I am a messenger of the system lords, sent here to apologize for your behavior. She says that she will not release you into my custody."

"Then how am I going to get out of here?" When Martouf didn't respond, Sam had her answer. He had no clue as to how he was going to get her out of there. "Is there any way to get out of here other than the door? Will the bars in the window move?" Desperation was setting into Sam's mind. She wanted out of this torture.

Martouf moved from his place on the floor and pulled on the bars in the window. They didn't give in the least.

"Samantha, the bars are too strong and the stones are all securely plastered together. Other than the door, there's no exit." Martouf's mind searched for an answer; the only way to escape would to either attempt a forceful exit or to leave on good terms by outsmarting Artemis. Having only one Zat gun and a blind partner made a forceful escape impossible. Yet, there was no obvious way to trick the goddess into letting them leave.

"Martouf, how many guards are on the other side of the door?"

"Two." Sam paused to think before speaking again.

"What if we kill them quietly and then I can escape unnoticed through hallway that leads towards Artemis' garden. You can go to Artemis and say goodbye, then you can find me and we can go back through the StarGate."

"Samantha, you are blind, you would never make it to her garden without drawing the attention of Artemis' servants."

"Martouf, I can do it, trust me."

"Samantha, I would trust you with my life, but - "

"Then let's do it." The woman that sat before Martouf had inherited her father's tenacity.

"If you die, I will never forgive myself." Sam ignored Martouf's words and cautiously stood up. He reached out to help her, but she was determined to show him she was capable, so she pushed his hand away.

"I can do it." She walked in the direction of the door slowly, nearly falling once, but still remained standing. "If you can take care of the Jaffa without anyone noticing, then I can make it to the garden." Martouf watched her lean against the wall for support, the disease was already weakening this normally strong woman. He was glad for the moment that she couldn't see, because he doubted she would appreciate being ogled.

"All right." Before he pulled the door open, he decided to do something in case he never again had a chance. He moved so that he stood in front of his accomplice and brushed her hair back out of her face. "Samantha, before I go - " Martouf stroked her soft cheek lightly with his thumb before continuing. "I must tell you that - " Sam shut her eyes as she memorized the feeling of his touch. "I have grown to love you as much as I loved Jolinar, if not more so." He leaned in slowly so that if she felt the need to push him away, she could. To his delight, she remained still as his lips descended to hers tentatively. A few seconds passed before Sam deepened the kiss. Martouf reluctantly pulled away after a few moments. "I will meet you at the garden gates."

"I'll see you there... well, actually I won't, but that's beside the point." She tried to smile to lighten the serious mood.

Martouf left Samantha's side and pulled the wooden door open and slipped out. He shut it behind him and turned to the first guard, which was the one that had led him there. The Jaffa began to ask him if he was finished, but was unable to finish his sentence because of the shot from Martouf's Zat gun. There was barely enough time for the second blast before the second guard had aimed his weapon and was firing. Fortunately he missed, giving Martouf enough time to shoot him down. Once the immediate threat had been diminished, Martouf took the final shots that vaporized the bodies.

He stood still and listened to see if anyone had heard the fire fight. No one seemed to have heard, but he couldn't be positive. Martouf decided he didn't have enough time to wait and make certain that no one had heard because someone was bound to miss the dead guards sooner or later. He opened the door again and called for Sam. She made her way out of the confinement without tripping or bumping into anything.

"Good luck, my love."

Sam smiled, but self-assuredly replied. "I won't need it." Before leaving in the opposite direction, Martouf placed a feather soft kiss on Sam's forehead.

When he reached the entrance to the main reception hall, he slowed down, so he wouldn't seem suspicious. Artemis smiled when she saw him enter her massive hall.

"Have you settled your curiosity?" Trying to match her malicious expression he answered her.

"Yes, she's definitely learned her lesson." Artemis' smile widened as Martouf bowed to show his reverence. "I shall return to my master and tell him of your excellent actions."

"Perhaps we shall meet again one day in the future."

"Perhaps." Martouf then turned and calmly walked the length of the marble hall. The three suns were at their highest points in the sky.

Sam ran her hands along the walls to guide her to the wooden door that would lead her outside to the garden. When her fingers brushed against a wooden surface, she applied a small amount of pressure. The door slid open and the feeling of warm sunlight against her face told her she was outside. There were noises to indicate anyone was around so she proceeded to go forward. She recalled from walking the hounds that the garden gates were straight ahead. All she had to do was avoid the statues and two fountains. Running water was the warning of the fountains and as for the statues she slowed down when she knew there was one in her vicinity.

When she finally reached the golden spiraled bars of the gates, she pulled one open and stepped outside of it. Since she was unable to watch for Martouf or anyone else, she listened closely, but the fountains water drowned out most sounds.

"Samantha." She felt Martouf's hands take a hold of her arm. He began to lead her towards the StarGate as he spoke to her. "As long as we don't run, I'm pretty sure we won't draw to much attention to ourselves." Martouf removed one of his hands and let the other one slide so that it sat at the small of Sam's back. This action elicited a smile from Sam, but it went unnoticed by Martouf who was watching for any signs of the Jaffa that had greeted him earlier.

Hopefully, they would assume that Artemis had given Sam to him willingly and not come after them. He let out a relieved sigh when the StarGate came into view. Sadly, his relief was short lived, because once they were within fifty feet of the gate, seven Jaffa came from the distant woods and began to advance towards them.

"Samantha, I'm afraid we're going to have to run." Before Sam could make any sort of objection, Martouf began to run and took her with him. Once they reached the StarGate, the Jaffa were still a few minutes away, but were coming towards them quickly.

Martouf dialed a world that had Tok'ra on it, then watched as the StarGate came to life. The Jaffa were beginning to fire upon them now that they were in close enough range. Sam was kneeling on the grounding hoping that that way she wouldn't be an easy target.

Sam was led by Martouf up the stairs and through the gate. It was strange for her to experience the gate blind, only able to feel the speed, not actually see it. When they came out on the other side, Samantha fell onto the steps because she was unable to gain her balance after coming through. Martouf quickly helped her to her feet and began to lead her towards the entrance to the Tok'ra tunnels that would take them to the main Tok'ra refuge.

Due to Sam's blindness, Martouf's hand never left her waist as he guided her through the wetlands of a planet the Tau'ri had never before visited. Beneath her feet, she could feel the damp soil sink under her weight. The air around them was warm and humid. Sam was finding hard to breath; she didn't know if it was from the 'disease' or the weather. Her ankle was throbbing profusely causing her to walk with a limp.

Martouf scanned the area around them for signs of the entrance to the Tok'ra tunnels. Unfortunately, the region appeared uninhabited, but that was how most planets the Tok'ra resided on looked. Sam's pace began to slow and her breathing was beginning to sound labored. The disease was starting to take full effect. It would only be a few hours before she was completely immobilized by it.

Just when Martouf was beginning to silently ponder the possibility that no one currently dwelled on the planet, he saw his sign. On a large rock, half hidden by shrubbery, there was a symbol that meant a sanctuary was near. His eyes examined his surroundings until they fell upon an area of grass that was slightly lighter than the rest. Martouf's hands skimmed the edge of the off-colored grass until he found a metal handle half buried in the dirt.

Once he had the circular hatchway opened, Martouf lowered Sam into the tunnel. He followed and closed the hatchway before taking Sam's arm and leading her through the vast network of tunnels. Her breathing was now shallow and rapid; she was struggling to stay on her feet.

"Please Samantha, only a bit farther." He was still finishing his sentence when Sam dropped to her knees onto the hard floor. "Samantha!" Martouf lifted her into his arms and began to run towards the main establishment. The Tok'ra had heard his shouting and they were coming to help him.

"What's wrong with her?" Asked an older woman who was placing the back of her hand against Sam's forehead to test for fever.

"She has been injected with Soa'ur."

"She is of the Tau'ri!" Martouf hadn't seen who made the statement, but he nodded in affirmation. When they reached a small chamber, the old woman instructed Martouf to set Sam on one of the beds and to accompany her to the hall.

"You do realize that the only way we can save her is to perform a blending?"

"Yes."

"Will she agree to it?"

"Yes." The woman studied Martouf for several minutes before reentering the room and ordering the other Tok'ra to prepare. Once everyone was told what to do, the woman turned to Martouf.

"My name is Kathea and I share a body with Azil, I am the one who watches over this Tok'ra haven. My friend was badly injured during a battle and her symbiote, Ayanna, has been unable to heal her. Her death is inevitable, but by transferring Ayanna to that Tau'ri, we can save them both. Do I have your consent to continue?"

"Yes, but please hurry, I'm not sure how much longer Samantha will be able to fight the Soa'ur." The woman nodded and turned her attention to the two men who were carrying a woman around Sam's age. She had two wounds that appeared to be caused by a staff weapon. The injured individual was unconscious, but her face was still twisted as she moaned from the pain. Once she was set onto a bed next to Sam's, Kathea went to her side and knelt next to her.

"Jacosta, if you can hear me, I apologize in advance. Ayanna has struggled for several days, but she has been unable to heal you. I fear that leaving her with you, will only further your suffering and risk Ayanna's life. Goodbye, my friend." Martouf wasn't sure if the groan that escaped the woman's lips was a reply to her friends apology, or just an incoherent noise. Then he watched as Ayanna was moved from the dying body to Samantha.

The injured woman immediately ceased to draw breath once the symbiote had left her body. Sam inhaled deeply and stirred after a few moments and her eyes gradually opened. They glowed white briefly before she turned to Kathea.

"Kathea, I regret being unable to save Dionet, but her injuries were too great."

"I understand. Dionet knew she wouldn't survive, but it was I who could not let go."

"She loved you like a sister, Kathea." Once Ayanna had said what she needed to, she receded to the back of Sam's mind and allowed her control. She looked confused at first, but quickly recovered and turned to Martouf. Despite the fact that she was glad to be alive, there was a sadness deep within her. She no longer had complete control of her body; she had to share custody. Though it couldn't be too bad since her father, Martouf and so many others performed the task daily without complaint. Martouf moved to her bedside and took her hand within his. His eyes searched hers for some kind of reaction to her current state.

"Are you all right?"

"Yeah, it's just a little... weird."

"I understand, but you'll get used to it; I promise." He placed a feather soft kiss on the top of her hand before giving her a comforting smile.

(Earth)

"Jacob, it's only been thirty-nine hours, he might've run into a little trouble, that's all." Jack patted the older man on the shoulder in an attempt to comfort him. Jack knew what it was like to lose a child and he didn't even wish it on his worst enemy.

"Jack, he should've been back a while ago." Jacob released a deep breath and wiped a tear that threatened to run down his cheek, before continuing. "George was right, Sam's gotten herself into some pretty tight situations and has always gotten out of 'em, this was just an eventuality."

Daniel was about to defend Jack's side of the conversation when the klaxons went off, effectively cutting him off. Lieutenant Simmons skidded into the room; he had nearly ran into Teal'c who had been standing near the doorway.

"Sirs, there's a Tok'ra signal!"

"Martouf." Both Jack and Jacob muttered before dashing past the winded lieutenant. Daniel and Teal'c followed closely behind them. General Hammond was already in the computer room that overlooked the gate room.

Jack and Jacob arrived in just enough time to watch the wormhole jump forward and quickly contract. Everyone in the room had their eyes fixed on the ramp; all held their breath as they recited silent prayers. Sam came through first, Martouf came through seconds later.

Jacob was the first to exit the computer room and run into the gate room where he ran up to Sam and pulled her into a tight hug. After several seconds passed, he pulled away and studied her closely.

"You've been blended." The words made a statement, rather than a question. He then looked to Martouf for an explanation.

"She would've died if she had not been blended with Ayanna. She had been injected with Soa'ur before I had found her." Jacob turned his attention back to his daughter with a confused expression.

"And you're okay with this?"

"Yeah." She lowered her voice before finishing, "I just hope General Hammond is." Jack, Daniel and Teal'c walked up the ramp to greet their friend. They were followed by General Hammond, who patted Martouf on the back.

"You're a good man, Martouf. I must admit, I had my doubts... but I'm glad you've proved me wrong."

Daniel, Jack and Teal'c sat on one side of the debrief table, while Sam sat between Jacob and Martouf on the other side. General Hammond was seated at the head of the table.

"Well, people... needless to say, Major Carter can't remain on SG-1. If you ran into a Goa'uld, it could make her, and SG-1 as a unit, a target." He glanced at the others; trying to gauge their reactions. Jack and Daniel were both looking melancholy and Teal'c looked as indifferent as ever. "However, she is a valuable asset to this facility. I would like to offer her a position as an SGC scientist. Ayanna's knowledge could also be valuable." The general looked directly at Sam. "I hope you'll accept the offer, Major." She first glanced at her hands, then looked up at her team and finally to her father and Martouf. She wouldn't be able to go on missions with her friends, but she could still remain at the SGC, doing what she loved.

"I accept it, sir."

"George, you do realize she's going to have to come with the Tok'ra sometimes. Ayanna is one of the best they have; she's a scholar and a warrior." Sam looked to her father as he spoke, but looked away when Martouf's hand came to rest on hers.

"I understand and I respect that."

"So she's kind of a mediator, so to speak, right?" Jack looked to both generals to see if he was anywhere near understanding. They both nodded. Once the technicalities had been worked out. Everyone filed out of the debrief room; all except for Sam and Martouf. He could see she was still a bit confused.

"Samantha, it will be all right. Your father has found his place in the Tok'ra and so will you." With that, he leaned over and kissed her softly and when she didn't pull back he brought his hand behind her head to pull her closer.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Aftyn Victoria