Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

San Francisco

by Amy Robinson
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
San Francisco

San Francisco

by Amy Robinson

Title: San Francisco
Author: Amy Robinson
Email: amy_robinson@email.com
Category: Romance, Series
Season: any Season
Pairing: Jack/other
Rating: PG
Warnings: language
Summary: still not telling ya
Sequel to: Still 1967
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).

BC - 1969
San Francisco

The night was sultry though it was only June and Lex was trying to sleep, never having liked heat since she was burned badly as a little girl. Sighing loudly she threw the covers off and got up to stick her head in the freezer, or at the very least get a glass of water. Bare feet slapping lightly against the cold checkered lino she made her way blindly into the living room, groping around for the light switch so she could see the clock - Three in the morning.

Sighing again, she grabbed a bottle of coke from the fridge and unlocked the front door to get some fresh air circulating the cramped living quarters. The neighbourhood was silent save for a few confused birds that hadn't realised it was night-time and the cats who were trying to catch them and Lex sat at the tops of her stairs, staring up at the twinkling stars. It really was beautiful, millions of suns, billions of miles away - she almost felt like she was out in space...

"Lex!" someone hissed from below and she jerked involuntarily, startled by another presence in her parents yard.

"Who is it?" she hissed back, scouring the garden furiously but coming up empty handed. "Jack?"

"Yeah." Someone stepped out of the shadows and onto the steep steps leading towards her.

"What do you want?" she asked, as he neared and stopped. "What's wrong?"

A shaft of fear stabbed her heart as she saw the envelope in his hands and his words confirmed it, "I've been drafted."

The sign for San Francisco finally flashed by after too many hours of driving and the two smiled with relief. They'd left Minnesota an hour after Jack had turned up on Lex's doorstep, determined to make the most of the fortnight they had together before Jack had to go to bootcamp, and decided that San Francisco was the place to be if you wanted to get lost or have fun or both.

"This is nuts." She whispered to herself, shaking her head.

"But also fun." Replied Jack.

"Nutty fun..." they were cruising down the highway in the car that his parents had bought him for his eighteenth birthday. Sleek, black and not too bad for a parent's choice of motor.

"We always said we were going to do this, just a bit sooner than planned. What do you think your mom and dad are gonna do when they find out?"

"Freak?" she grimaced, "I don't know. I left a note saying I'd be back in fortnight - hopefully they won't come looking for us."

"You think they'd find us?"

"You don't know my dad - the words 'needle in a haystack' mean nothing to him." She promised eerily.

"Ah."

"Don't panic, it'll be fine. We're going to have a good time."

"You're sure?"

"I'm sure." She nodded firmly, smiling and sinking back in her seat, "Stick the radio on."

"I see, radio - the cure for all ills."

"Darn tootin'."

"And you're darn cute." He slid a hand across to gently squeeze hers. They knew that this journey was going to be a huge step for them both but after over a year together they'd decided to take it. At the start of the relationship they had decided to take it slowly and not to do anything that didn't feel comfortable. Now they were completely comfortable with each other - they were a joining of mind and spirit, leaving only one more joining to undertake.

"I bet you say that to all the girls."

"Every chance I get." He grinned.

"You're an ass." She rolled her eyes.

"Well, you're an 'ass's' girlfriend."

"What?"

"I said you had a cute ass."

"You think you're cute now, eh?"

"Stop twisting my words!"

"I'm not! I said you were an ass and you're my boyfriend which makes you my ass and then you said I had a cute ass so essentially you just called yourself cute."

"My braincell hurts."

"Snookums."

"'Snookums'?"

"Pumpkin."

"'Pumpkin'?"

"Honey bunny?"

"'Honey bunny'?!"

"How about Jammy doughnut monster..?"

"I'm not even going to ask..."

"Probably for the best."

*MEANWHILE ON THE EASTERN COAST*

"Something wrong, sir?" Captain Carter faced her commanding officer in the back of a bumpy yet 'groovy' van on the road to New York.

"No, just thinking what I was doing around this time." Answered O'Neill distractedly.

"And...?" she prompted.

"I was in San Francisco with a girl I used to know."

"With flowers in your hair?"

"Funny, but no." he smiled, "I'd just been drafted so we ran away to have some time on our own before I went."

"You were in Vietnam?" she asked, glancing sideways to make sure their hosts were out of earshot.

"Yeah."

"And the girl?"

"I never saw her again." He sighed, "I always regretted that - maybe I could put in a phonecall while I'm here."

"Against the rules, colonel. You could end up changing your whole life."

"Maybe but it would have been fun."

"Nuts."

"Nutty fun..." he murmured to himself.

"Pardon?"

"Nothing." He shook his head, banishing memories dredged up by their current predicament, "So how much further?"

THE END

Notes: I hadn't intended to include references to '1969' but on the spur of the moment bunged it in there. If anyone wishes to write the 'San Francisco' piece or any other extras to this story, feel free, only email me to let me know - it'd be interesting to see how someone else writes Lex and how she comes across as a character. I am obsessed with the song and city known as San Francisco as well as the sixties - but I'm sure it'll pass soon enough... fanmail welcome because my head is never happy unless it's swollen and comments/suggestions are welcome too - I will answer all emails (except mean ones unless you really piss me off and then I have to retalliate). Amy_robinson@email.com

Note to self: stop being an egotistical maniac! Ps: see 'all around me' for next 'chapter' outline.

1

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Amy Robinson