Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Still 1967

by Amy Robinson
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Still 1967

Still 1967

by Amy Robinson

Title: Still 1967
Author: Amy Robinson
Email: amy_robinson@email.com
Category: Romance, Series
Season: any Season
Pairing: Jack/other
Rating: PG
Warnings: language
Summary: still not telling ya
Sequel to: The British Chippy - 1967
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).

BC - 1967 = take two

"So what are we doing tonight, lover?" asked Lex throwing herself onto Jack's lap and the mercy of the lads. It was her sixteenth birthday and she'd seen a few shaved eyebrows in the couple of months she'd spent at the school and would be very much obliged if they'd let her keep hers firmly above her eyes.

"The usual, I suppose - why?" he asked nonchalently.

"No reason." She smiled, covering her disappointment at being forgotten, "Just wondering."

"Fancy going to the track, Rob's got a new bike he wants to try out."

"Another one?" she laughed, "Tell him if he mangles this bike I'll smash his kneecaps." Rob was a six foot four quarterback who looked like the michelin man. He now held the school record for most motorbikes trashed but then his parents could afford to buy him as many bikes as he wanted. It was still a damn shame about all those beautiful bikes though.

"If you ask him nicely he might let you ride it before he writes it off." Jimmy had been listening to them from the cafeteria line and now joined them at their 'exclusive dining table with a view' - translated to laymans terms it meant that they were in the perfect position to shoot spit balls at the 'jocks' with a perfect eyeline to their table. There were food fights almost every lunch hour. "Where's Alice?"

"He's in maths detention for not handing in his assignment." Snorted Jack as Lex slipped into the seat beside him. "And he actually went."

"Hey if he wants to learn, let him, not everyone can get along on their good looks like you and me." She raised an eyebrow and picked up her cup of tea. Plastic, disposable, cup of tea. Milk. Two sugars.

"Now that's not entirely true, is it?" rebuked Jack, "They could have plastic surgery..."

"You two are dangerous together."

"The world's a dangerous place, Jimmy, and someday, when you get untangled from those apron strings, we might take you there..."

Jimmy stuck his tongue out at her. He didn't like to mess with this backward piece of engineering if he could help it. Something had gone wrong when fate mixed humour, an acid tongue, droolworthy looks, talent and brains into Lex Thompson. "Did you do your maths assignment?"

"Now when would I have time to do homework? In my sleep maybe?" she pondered the thought for a moment, "That's not a bad idea, doing homework in your sleep, I should copyright that!"

"And don't forget to market it - people will pay millions..."

"Yeah, with a catchy slogan." She bit her bottom lip, "Tired of doing homework?"

They looked at her.

"Get it? Tired of doing home... work..." her excitement petered out.

"You do know that you can't actually market it, don't you?" Jimmy asked, amused.

She looked at him, "You people have no sense of humour."

"Better that than yours."

"You know what?" she asked sweetly, standing and moving over to the now nervous Jimmy.

"What?"

"I think you'd look swell in a straight jacket." She made a quick grab for him, pulling the sleeves of his sweater over his hands, holding him still with her knee in his chest while she tied the sleeves together. "Doesn't he look good in a straight jacket, Jack?" she asked, returning to her seat.

"He looks so at home, kinda natural." He mused, "Maybe we should do his trousers too..."

"Aw come on guys, this isn't fair!"

"Quick, Jack, hold him down - I've got some masking tape in my bag!" she giggled, pulling out the fat silver roll and taping the fourteen year old to his chair.

"Why do you have masking tape in your bag?" Jack asked over the top of Jimmy's protests.

"I was gonna tie you up later and perform mad sexual acts on you." She delivered with out batting an eyelid.

"You have the dirtiest mind..."

"But that's why you love me."

'You have no idea' he thought, sitting back down in his chair to watch Lex finish off the ensemble by plastering a piece of tape over his mouth. Glancing over at Jack she noticed that he had made no comment. Usually he said something, if only 'like a hole in the head'. Still it was probably nothing so she sat back and finished off her tea.

The small apartment was misty with smoke as Lex smoked herself into stupor, boredom all-encompassing. Jack said he would come and pick her up at half past six, it was now nine o'clock and she was not a happy chippy. One more dooby and she'd probably paint another wall. What a fantastic birthday. They'd all forgotten about her. Well she didn't need them, she didn't need anyone.

There was a knock at the door.

Suddenly wide awake with all her faculties intact she wrenched the door open, prepared to give him a piece of her mind. "Hi." He said.

"Hi? Is that it?" she asked.

"What?"

"You said you were going to be here two and half hours ago! Meanwhile I have been bored shitless, sitting home alone on my fucking birthday! That's 'what'!" she fumed.

"You want my bike?" he made puppy dog eyes at her with little pouty lips.

"Stop it, I'm trying to be mad at you!" she chastised, not quite stifling a smile. "You're a bastard..." she muttered, shaking her head.

"You coming out then?" he wheedled.

"I suppose so... god, you always get your own way." She narrowed her eyes at him.

"Of course..."

The ride to the outskirts of town was swift, over before Lex had a chance to completely clear her head. After her anger had dissipated somewhat the dizzying effect of the drugs in her system returned, swirling the buildings they passed. They disembarked at the abandoned stable house and continued on foot to the field designated as the 'exclusive, members-only, bratpack, dirt track. They could hear the others before seeing them, tall hedgerows obscuring their view for another twenty yards.

"You not racing tonight?" Lex asked, trying to concentrate on not falling flat on her face in the darkness.

"Thought I'd try out Rob's."

"Get a go before he trashes it?" she remembered their earlier conversation, "hey, did you untie Jimmy?"

Silence.

"Jack?" she looked around, seeing the opening to the field but not Jack. "Jack?" she called.

Nothing.

She blinked hard, wondering if she was hallucinating, still sat at home bored on her sweet sixteenth. Taking a deep breath she shook her head and stepped through the gap.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU
HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR LEX
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!"

A crowd of her friends stood in the midst of thousands of fairy lights, twinkling against the backdrop of velvet night. A cheer went up and the party had begun.

"Happy birthday." Murmured a voice from behind her and she turned.

"Did you do this?" she asked softly.

"Everyone did this."

"Thank you." She leaned up and placed a gentle kiss on his cheek. "But if you ever keep me waiting for two and a half hours again..." she threatened.

He laughed, grabbing her hand and dragging her into the middle of the festivities.

For birthday presents she got mostly weed and booze from the lads and items of groovy clothing from the gals. The party was a blast of racing, singing and dancing, one of them having brought a ghetto blaster. It was wicked but Lex was accosted with thoughts of having to move on sooner or later - the longest they'd ever stayed in one place before had been little under two years - and at the moment, with these people, she was having the time of her life.

The night finished with a slow dance to San Francisco and Jack pulled her to her feet from beside the bonfire insisting that he had to have a dance with the birthday girl.

if you're going to San Francisco
be sure to wear some flower flowers in your hair if you're going to San Francisco
you're going to meet some gentle people there

Jack and Lex fell through her apartment door laughing, the high spirits of the night still hot in their bodies. "Thank god it's the weekend." She half whispered, heading straight for the fridge to get some beer - the alcohol she'd been given had all been drunk that night between the heat of the youthful tribe.

"Would it matter if it was a school night?" he asked, half collapsing onto the settee.

"Well, no... hey shut up." She tisked, pulling two bottles from the shelf and sauntering over, "Beer?"

"Thanks, you have a good night?"

"I did, thank you." She blushed slightly. Changing the subject, "You know I got some bad news from the doctor the other day..."

He looked taken aback, fear in his eyes, "What is it?"

"There's blood in my alcohol stream."

He sat there for a moment contemplating her words before taking her beer and placing both blottles on the side. "You bitch." He exclaimed, launching himself at her and inciting a rascous wrestling match. She squealed, slipping down onto the floor and rolling away deftly. "Stay still when I'm trying to beat you to a pulp!" he exclaimed, pouncing again, this time catching her arms and pinning them to her chest.

"Hey! That's not fair!" she cried, struggling against his restraining grip without success. "You're stronger that me."

"That's the point." He grinned.

"Okay now you got me, what are you going to do with me?" she asked, her struggles diminishing as he leaned closer.

The air around them almost seemed to stop, breath slowing in anticipation as she leaned up to meet his descending lips. The contact was soft, delicate, thoughtful. Friends becoming more in too few short seconds. Pulling away slowly and releasing her arms he whispered, "Sorry."

"Don't be." She replied, grasping the leather lapel of his jacket and pulling him to her again, this time probing and exploritive. "I like you too."

Jack woke the next morning with a pounding head in a room he didn't recognise as his own. He could hear voices on the other side of a closed door and rolled out of bed groggily, walking wobbly. He pushed the door open slowly, blinking as sunlight accosted his sensitive eyes before seeing Lex and another woman stood by the small sink.

Lex spotted him watching and waved him over, "Jack, this is my mum, mum this is Jack." She introduced, trying to suppress a quirky smile at her mother's horrified expression.

"Has he been here all night?!" exclaimed the older woman.

"Yes."

"Hi." Murmured Jack, casting his eyes down in an effort to hold his laughter in.

"We're gonna have some breakfast now if you don't mind..." meandered Lex, half pushing her mum out the front door.

Mrs. Thompson cast a mistrustful glance towards Jack, before turning back to her daughter, "I'll talk to you later." She promised a lecture.

"Yes, mother." She nodded, closing the door.

"So that's your mom then..." in the time he'd known Lex the most he'd known of her mother was the sound of her voice through an open window.

"Yeah." She laughed, "You wanna go out for breakfast?"

"Sure," he smiled, "Oh, wait, I have something for you. I meant to give it to you last night."

He looked around for his jacket, finding it draped over the back of the sofa. He reached into the pocket and pulled out a small box, handing it to her.

"For me?" she gently opened the delicately patterned package and pulled out a silver necklace. The pendant was an inch long silver cross with a tiny inscription on it.

Now I lay me down to sleep
I pray the lord my soul to keep
If I should die before I wake
I pray the lord my soul to take

"It's beautiful, thankyou." She stepped forward and placed a hesitant carress on his lips with her own, banishing any doubts he'd had that last night's kisses were fueled by mind altering substances alone.

"Wanna go out with me?" he grinned, receiving a fully fledged smile from the girl before him.

"Why not?" she asked, handing him the necklace. "Help me with this?"

She turned, lifting her bouyant curls out of the way. "Thankyou."

the end

notes: I know, I know, that's a terrible way to end this chapter but you'll find that I do that a lot when I'm writing a series - hey if you can do better, send it to me and I'll stick it on if it doesn't change the plot.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Amy Robinson