Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Revelations and Shopping Trips

by Anneka OCarter
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Revelations and Shopping Trips

Revelations and Shopping Trips

by Anneka OCarter

Summary: Sam gets more than she bargained for on an impromptu shoppping spree
Category: Drabble, Future Story, Romance, Thoughts
Season: any Season
Pairing: Jack/Sam, none
Rating: G
Warnings: adult themes, none
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 07/04/03

Revelations and Shopping Trips
Author Notes: This is a little out of character, but I say just do wid de flow! I hope you like it! I was going to have it a little longer but I might do a sequel instead...just read the footnote OK?

The mall was busy, teenagers milling about outside of shops and aggrieved mothers busily searching for toddlers. She, thankfully, was alone and she liked it that way; so much easier to shop when you didn't have a slow or in Janet's case, picky companion.
No, she much preferred shopping on her own, and that was only when she was forced by the lack of acceptable clothing, to actually make the trip to Colorado Springs Mall.
It was big by any standards and it seemed like the hub of activity. She clasped the three bags in her hand as she glided past the other shoppers, and she was relieved that she had decided to go shopping that day; Janet was having a party for her CO's birthday today (seeing as his house was being "used" tonight , but she was convinced that he just didn't want to do the clearing up afterwards) and she really didn't want a certain someone to see her wearing the same outfit she wore last time she saw him.
Finally after a lot of searching through the throngs of people, Sam found the caf that she loved. After waiting for a few minutes, a table became available and she sat down, pulling out a book she had bought on the Basics Of Astrophysics. Her eyes flittered over the page, and it reminded her of work. Sipping her coffee, she became engrossed in the manual, until she felt a shadow over her table. Looking up, she was stunned. "Uh, Mrs...Miss O'Ne...Sara." She said at last, and Sara just smiled. "Major Carter. It's nice to see you."
"You too." Sam replied, not really knowing why her CO's wife was approaching her.
"I was just wondering if I could share the table with you...." She asked hesitantly "I can't seem to find any others." She added. "Um, that's fine." She said, uncertainty in her chest. This so wasn't a good idea, but she couldn't do anything as Sara pulled the chair out and sat down, spreading her shopping around the base of the table. "Astrophysics for Beginners?" Sara queried as she saw the title of the book. "It's a birthday present for someone." Sam answered, and then for some reason felt suddenly guilty. She was being nice to this woman...the ex-wife of the man she was in love with....
"I was going to say I didn't think you'd need......hey, it's not for Jack is it?" She asked nonchalantly, looking at the menu. "Um, yeah. It is actually. It's his birthday soon..." Sam said and then felt suddenly stupid "But you would know that." She added, quietly. "I hope you don't feel uncomfortable." She said and Sam looked straight into her eyes. "You shouldn't. Jack and I are still friends despite everything that's happened."
Sam nodded slightly but Sara didn't seem to notice her unease, or if she did, she didn't care. "We talked on the phone yesterday in fact." "Oh right." Sam replied wondering what Sara was getting at. "Yeah, he's really looking forward to this party that your friend Janet's hosting for him." Sam smiled and Sara did the same. Sam was glad that he didn't feel obligated to go, and that he'd be staying for a while; she just loved being with him in situations like that; people not officers. "Really?" Sam replied, trying to stop the grin spreading on her face. "Yeah. Something about a woman going." OK, that stopped the grin. Stopped it dead in it's tracks. Woman? A woman? She felt like she was going to collapse. It was hard enough to deal with the fact that Jack had an ex-wife...she couldn't bear it that he felt something for someone who wasn't her. "A woman?" Sam tried to appear interested although she just wanted the floor to open and swallow her up...couldn't she just schedule an Earthquake or something? "Uh huh." Sara affirmed and looked around for a waiter. "He's pretty keen on her."
"Oh, really. I wouldn't know." Sam said, really, really wanting to cry. "Of course. You might know her actually." "I doubt it. I don't really know much about Colonel O'Neill's personal life." Sam said, repeating the line that rolled around in her head at night. She almost felt like adding "and I don't deserve to" but she refrained thankfully. "No, you probably do. Works at the base apparently." Sara said smoothly. AT THE BASE! This was just getting worse and worse and worse. First she meets the love of her life's ex wife and then she just happens to let it slip that he's lusting over someone else. Life couldn't be any crappier. "Oh right." Sam commented, hoping to sound impartial. "Do you know her name?" Sara shook her head. "But he talks about her all the time...you'd think I'd be jealous, but no. It's weird actually, but I like to be friends with him, I think we lost that during the marriage." Sam just nodded, pretending that she was actually concentrating on the words coming out of Sara's mouth. "That must be good." Sam just added at the end. "Yeah. He can get advice from me on how to get this woman so he's happy with it."
"He isn't with her yet?" Sam said, putting on a faade of non-interest or professional distance.
"No." OK, maybe this was better. It might just be some adolescent-like crush. "But he damn well wants to be. Let's just say that he's mentioned the L-word more times than I can remember."
Or maybe not.
Love?
He loves this woman?
This harlot?
This bitch that had to die?
Aahh. She really wished that this little meeting was just a figment of her imagination and she could just back to imagining Jack and herself in a variety of compromising positions.
"Right. He must really like her." Sam wasn't adding anything to the conversation but Sara didn't seem to notice.
"Yeah. Apparently she's something of a work-aholic, according to him. He's always worried about her. Which is sweet huh?" "Yep." Sam agreed, but she was already making plans to search the database and find out who liked to stay later than was necessary...she was so going to get this woman fired *OK, now I'm sounding like a bunny boiler. This obsession has to stop, or I'll end up stalking women who merely look at him* she thought with a grimace. "And she sounds gorgeous too. Blonde hair, blue eyes and funny according to him. He calls her a little genius, really influential at the base he says." Sara said deliberately emphasising each word.
OK, who was blonde, blue eyed and a scientist that Jack actually liked? O-k-a-y.
She so wanted to jump out her chair and dance on the tables. Was this woman her? Or was it just some freaky coincidence? "Do you know anyone like that?" Sara asked and Sam's mind was doing somersaults. It had to be her, right?
"I don't know." She managed to say.
"Well, I can't understand why this mystery woman would be so reluctant to be with him." Sara said, trying to act impartial. "I might be bias, but he's a good catch." "Maybe she's worried about losing everything she's worked hard for." Sam said, closely watching Sara's reaction but she couldn't pick anything up as she spoke the words.
"Maybe she's kidding herself that the work will be hers forever." Sara replied, still not looking up from the magazine she spread over the table. "I mean, it's not like the `gate is going to be kept a secret for the rest of her life." Sara flipped a page over. Sam just sat trying to keep her mouth from falling open. Not only was she having this conversation with someone she barely knew, it was the last Mrs O'Neill! "Maybe she's worried about letting him in. She's worried about losing respect." Sam said, stirring her coffee. "Maybe she's been the ice-queen for so long she's forgotten how to let anyone in."
"If Jack's description of this magical woman is anything to go by, she'd have to blow up the world before losing any respect from anyone, and even then it'd be hard. And, well, if she's afraid of letting someone in; so is he." "He is?"
"Jack's lost his son. His life collapsed and he has to put on his sarcastic face every morning, because if he doesn't then he might just have a breakdown because he hurts." Sara looked up into Sam's eyes truthfully. "But he knows that she understands. She lost someone she loved when she was younger. He wants to talk to her about Charlie, but he can't because it's breaking the well-known air force tactic of never letting your guard down." Sam couldn't tear her gaze away from Sara even when the waiter came over to take Sara's order. Sara just batted him away with her hand and he had the sense to leave the two women in peace.
"Do you think this woman should go for it?" Sam asked. "This woman should realise that he loves her so much. So much so, that after this party, he's resigning from his position." "What?" Sam asked shocked. He couldn't give up; the air force was everything to him. It was his life.
"He's going to be 47 Major." Sara said, looking back down at the magazine. "He wants to have a peaceful life. And to be with her." "What if she doesn't know that?" Sam asked. "What if he wasn't sure that she'd ever find out what he felt about her?"
"He's resigning. No matter what. And whether she comes to him or not, he can't bear to work there and not be with her. Not be able to tell everyone that he loves her and she's his. And that he's hers." Sam was stunned by the intensity of Jack's feelings and the candour that he had spoken to Sara with. "Does he want something permanent with her?" She asked quietly.
"What was it he said?" Sara visibly racked her brains for Jack's comment. "Oh yeah, that's it "She's in my dreams and I can't shake the thoughts of her until I can see her, and make sure that she's safe." Sweet huh?" Sara smiled at her companion knowingly. "I know he's reluctant about marriage after what happened with us, but let's just say, he's ready to spend the rest of his life with her. All she has to do is click her fingers." Sara said truthfully and then chuckled wistfully. "Ten years ago, that would have hurt be in my very core, but seeing the love he has for her, hearing him tell me about all the little idiosyncrasies that he adores; you could never be jealous of that. How can you be jealous of true love?" Suddenly Sam started to collect her things. "Major Carter, what are you doing?" Sara said faux-innocently. "Thankyou." She said simply.
"My pleasure." Sara gave up the pretence finally. "You belong together. Can't argue with that." Sara and Sam smiled at each other and she left hurriedly, and Sara saw her checking her watch as she rushed out of the mall. Another figure appeared over the table and sat down. "Thanks for that."
"That's OK, Doctor." Sara smiled at her cohort. "One of them just needed a shove in the right direction."
"My thoughts exactly." The red headed woman giggled. "I have to go. Party to sort out. I'll ring you later. OK?"
Sara just nodded and they hugged like old friends.

Sequel? Nay sequel? Good? Not? All opinions that are either constructive criticism or just that good ol' adoration are fine!
Email me at shirleym_@hotmail.com

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Anneka OCarter