Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Telepathic

by Anneka OCarter
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Telepathic

Telepathic

by Anneka OCarter

Summary: It's time for Cassie to give a philosophy lesson on carpe diem.
Category: Drabble, Humor, POV, Romance, Thoughts
Episode Related: 405 Divide and Conquer
Season: Season 4
Pairing: Jack/Sam
Rating: G
Warnings: none
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 06/24/03

Author's Notes: The film "French Kiss" is with Kevin Kline and Meg Ryan. I love the film...it's almost an obsession so I recommend it to one and all! Few slight spoilers for the film! Enjoy the story. Send feedback...flames are used as my hamster's bedding.

I can't really tell you how it goes. It's kinda difficult to say how I can tell. I just can. I can sense the look on someone's face, the actions they make with their body, the tone of their voice.

I don't know if it's one of my various alien abilities, or just an faculty I picked up because my mom refuses to tell me anything.

But I can sort of read people's minds.

It all started last year.

It was like every other Friday night. The whole "gang" makes it round to mine and mom's to have a gross out on popcorn, pizza and soda.

They all trailed home from the Mountain looking extremely tired. Something about a machine and some testing. Sam is the first one at the door, trying to put a smile on her face although I know, my ability coming into action, that something apart from excessive tiredness is wrong.

She hugs me and I hug her back, trying to reassure her in a silent way. The guys come through the door and they all hug me like I'm 3 years old...I know they love me, but god, can they not treat me like the teenager that I am? (god, how precocious am I?)

Anyway, I chose the film for tonight. It's my favourite in the whole world. "French Kiss" I think it's hilarious and mom likes it too.

I know that Daniel and Jack will probably drift off to sleep after half an hour. Teal'c will ask me about every pop-culture reference. Sam will stare at Jack for a while and then look away. He'll do the same to her. He'll fall asleep again and then she'll spend the rest of the night fantasising about him.

Mom'll probably start cooking the pizza half way through cos she knows the story line inside out so I just try and concentrate on the movie despite the fact I know I'll be hearing Daniel's snoring in my ear in around 25 minutes.

"Luc: Just that some people rush to lose it. Others, they guard it like some precious gift.

Kate: And you, I suppose, rushed.

Luc: Like a bull.

Kate: Yeah, I have a picture in my head. It's very clear."

Well, this is a surprise. Jack hasn't fallen asleep yet. May it be that Jack O'Neill might actually approve of a "chick flick" that I've rented? Daniel on the other hand, is on the brink of sleep, desperate to lose himself in his dreams, but trying to hold onto reality in case anyone thinks he's not interested.

Anyway, I'm still wide awake and laughing at all the jokes, even though I know them off by heart.

Sam's still looking at Jack. But this time not with a smile like she normally does. With a sorrowful look on her face. I hate it when something hits my friends. I used to think of them as mom's friends. But their mine too. And I like that. Especially when Jack and Daniel pick me up from school and my friends all think they're hot. I can't stop laughing because I think of them like big brothers to me.

I drag my eyes away from the film to watch Jack. He's half interested in the film, half wondering whether he can steal a look at Sam. I know he wants too. I know her loves her as well.

It's not hard to tell that they're both crazy about each other. I tried to talk to mom about in a subtle way, but she never lets on about anything to do with that. She says it's their business and nobody else's.

I kinda agree with her, but the insatiable gossip in me won't let up. I normally go to Daniel who doesn't realise that he's not supposed to tell me. Thinking about Daniel and his weird antics I laugh, and wake him up from his limbo between sleep and reality. He's head is resting on the sofa arm, his feet curled up near mine. Teal'c is leaning on the sofa, his head right near my hands and I'm trying to resist the urge to draw a funny pattern with a pen on the shining skin.

Mom, Sam and Jack are all sitting on the floor, with mom separating Romeo and Juliet from each other....pity, I need to see some fireworks!

"Kate: You know him? Pff. Of course you know him. All you bastards know each other."

I saw mom and Sam grin at each other behind Jack's back but I'm pretty sure he knew what they were doing. It was the first time I saw Sam smile that night and so I smiled myself. Then the video stops and my mom looks apologetically at everyone.

"Sorry....toilet break." She runs upstairs, quickly followed by Daniel who was awoken by mine and Jack's groans that mom had stopped the video and realises he needs to relieve himself too. This little intermission causes Sam to venture to the kitchen, stepping over Jack's stretched out legs.

I decide to follow her having built up an urge for some popcorn. I scramble over Teal'c and quickly make it to the kitchen so I can have a conversation with her...OK, maybe I lied a little when I said I wanted popcorn.

"Hungry?" Sam says as I walk in the door.

"Yeah." I say vehemently and raid the cupboards for the toffee popcorn mom bought a few days ago.

"Like the film?" Sam asks, pouring herself a steaming coffee.

"It's great. So....How are you?"

"What do you mean?" She looks puzzled at my question and so am I. Then I remember I'm building up to THE question about her and Jack.

"Are you OK?" I repeat. "You don't seem very..." I search for a suitable word to describe her mood "... Sam-like."

She laughs and I smile back to her. "Thanks for noticing." She says, so quietly I'm not sure if she actually said it. "I didn't think anybody realised I had barely spoken two words since I got here."

"Someone did." I say. "Apart from me I mean."

"Daniel?" I shake my head "Teal'c?"

"Nope. Jack." I'm twisting the truth a little bit. He did notice but didn't tell me anything about it. I saw him look at her worriedly, his attention split between looking at her, and pretending he's not looking at her.

"I don't think so." She dismisses my observation straight away.

"How do you know?" I reply, sounding a little too cocky for my own good.

"Because I just do." Sam's obviously not in the mood for one of our little arguments that can carry on for weeks through telephone, email and text messages.

She starts to walk towards the door, but I leap in front of her. I know I shouldn't tell her what I'm going to tell her next...that it's a bad idea and Jack really wouldn't want me doing this, but these guys are like my family, jeez...they are my family. And I want Sam and Jack to be together more than anything.

"Do you know how I know that Jack was worried about you?" I say to her, stunning her.

"Enlighten me." She looks real grumpy.

"Because..." I reply in a hushed tone. "I know he's in love with you. He's head over heels and I think you're crazy about him too and you're the only ones who can't see it."

Sam's sufficiently shocked. I don't think she knows how perceptive I can be. She wants to reply, to deny everything I just said, but she knows I won't believe her. She just walks past me with a melancholic look on her face and joins Jack on the floor again.

I trail back in the room and sit down on the sofa, decidedly pissed at my lack of judgement on telling her what everyone else is thinking.

I still look back over, to see if she's staring at the screen so she can disprove my theories, but she's not.

She's sitting next to Jack now, mom's taken to sitting on the bean bag just next to Teal'c. Sam's studying his face intently, taking in every feature she can. I know she misses him. When she gets back to her house, she wishes that he was behind her, making her life seem complete. I know he misses her when he drives back home and he wishes that she was next to him. I know she hopes that one day, she can share her bed with him, because she loves him. So I'm going to help her. Help them both.

Help them realise that they haven't got unlimited time to just "be friends."

That they really need to seize the day.

"Kate: A healthy person is someone who expresses what they feel - express, not repress.

Luc: In that case, you must be one of the healthiest people alive."

Please, god no.

After ten minutes mom realises that she left the pizzas in too long. It's 8:10 so mom reckons that now is a good time to eat. I agree of course, but not when it's getting to the funniest bits i.e. the bit where Luc realises he's in love with Kate (funny that I want JACK and SAM to see this bit huh?)

We're all slumped over various chairs, saving the film for later because everyone's talking instead. This time about some annoying guy called Kinsey or something. Anyway they all seem to be getting pretty uptight...so I go outside into the garden saying I need some air. No doubt they'll want to talk about some other classified stuff so I take my drink with me and tell mom to call me when they're talking about un-SGC stuff.

I've only been standing outside for about thirty seconds when I hear the door open and close behind me.

From my astute perceptive abilities, I should be able to work out who this is. But I have no idea. I see a pale, dainty hand rest on the veranda and I immediately know it's Sam.

"Hey." She says timidly and I do the same.

"I'm sorry about before." I apologise. "I went too far and it was stupid of me."

"No...I came out here to say sorry." I make an astonished face. What the hell does she have to apologise about. "Because you're right." OK then, maybe that.

"What?" I'm shocked, to say the least.

"You're right." She says, quietly but she did definitely say it. "I'm in love with him. I want to be with him so much it hurts."

"Sam..." I say consolingly as she turns to face me and I do the same. I can see tears forming.

"Cassie, it hurts so much when I'm not with him. I want to cry so badly when he's not around, but I want to cry when he is, because I know I can't be with him."

I don't know what to say, she seems so vulnerable. I do what I know best. I hug her, and she cries lightly on my shoulder. She's obviously been crying about this frequently.

I release her body from my embrace. "You must be able to do something. Skirt around those lame regulations."

"You don't understand." She replies. "We probably could. But I can't make him love me. I can't make him love me like I love him."

I widen my eyes. "You cannot be serious." God, I love her, she's a second mom to me and she's THE most intelligent person I know, but she can be incredibly lacking in common sense. "He's so totally in love with you even Daniel can see it and you know how he gets. I know that he loves because I see him watching you 24/7 to make sure you're happy and that you're safe. He'd die for you, y'know."

Sam's stunned again (I'm so good at passionate love speeches....I wonder if there's a career in that somewhere?)

She hugs me again. "You have this incredibly weird way of knowing exactly what I'm thinking...you're not telepathic are you?"

"If I was, do you really think I'd be going to school?" I reply, and then wonder what I am doing at school.

"Kate: You'll be one of those old guys sitting in the corner of a caf, muttering to himself. 'You make me twitch. You people make my ass twitch."

That little scene reminds me of a certain Colonel I know about. Speaking of which...developments are in progress!

It seems that my attention to the film has stopped me noticing the positions that are two favourite love birds (or soon to be) are in.

Without mom in the way (who's snoring on the chair on the other side of the room) Jack and Sam are precariously close to having her head on his chest. Her head is slowly drooping after a hard day at work.

Suddenly, I see her head near Jack's steady shoulder and as it leans on it, I feel a sudden urge to squeal like a child...but I resist, thankfully.

Sam realises what she's done and apologises, but Jack seems to take it OK, despite the obvious flushing in his cheeks.

"Kate?"

"Yes?"

"What are you thinking about?"

"I'm thinking about a vineyard with a little stone cottage. But that's not what I'm really thinking about."

"What are you really thinking about?"

"You."

The cutest scene in the film.

The cutest scene taking place in my front room.

Sam and Jack's hand are millimetres apart from each other. As this scene takes place I can see them get a little twitchy. As Jack coughs uncomfortably, he inadvertently moves his hand closer. They both look at each other embarrassed, a little red faced but not jumping apart like they normally do.

Everyone else is asleep at the moment...even Teal'c who I didn't think slept at all. Maybe that's just another habit he's picked up from us, who knows?

Sam tries to take a subtle glance round the room, so I lean back quickly making it look like I was asleep for hours.

She obviously buys my little faade as she leans into Jack....that's the last thing I saw (privacy much?) but let's just say I was a tiny bit curious and happened to open my eyes, and what they were doing, well...not fit for children, that's all I can say.

One year.

365 days.

8760 hours.

525600 minutes.

Everything's changed in such a short space of time.

Jack and Sam were nervous with each other for a while after that night. They didn't talk for the rest of the night, but I reminded Sam what she was missing, and she soon came to her senses.

Sam and Jack are on the down-low mainly because they don't want to be thrown out the air force but I have it on good authority that they have nothing to worry about (it's nice having a General as your adopted Uncle and a soppy romantic one at that)

But I don't think they'll be able to keep their relationship a secret for much longer as there's going to be another member to the Carter-O'Neill family. In the shape of a baby.

A little girl.

Sam's four months gone and has done a great job of concealing it....although mom's divulged that some people are suspecting but don't want to mention it unless she's just gotten fat.

They're going to be a real family now. And I'm happy for them. Ecstatic.

They just needed to do was seize the day.

And they needed a little alien girl to make them realise.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Anneka OCarter