Lost von LE McMurray

[Reviews - 0]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Author's Notes: Thanks to Stonedtoad for betaing.

Thanks to everyone who's given me positive reviews for this. Hope you enjoy part two and the next part will be up soon.

*********************************************

Elizabeth stopped at the entrance to the balcony where John stood staring out across the ocean; it was now two weeks since Rodney had been killed.

She'd given two weeks in case Rodney had just been moved to another part of space where she knew he would find a Stargate and call home but this morning she'd had to concede and pronounce the three from Jumper Two dead.

John was taking it hard losing his friend; she'd never expected the two of them to become close but after knowing the SGC's 'odd couple' and reading then seeing what they could achieve because of their differences, finding Atlantis's own version was reassuring.

"Is there a reason you're loitering?" John broke the silence turning to face her.

"I came to talk to you," she moved to join him leaning against the rail, "About the memorial service, Zelenka has organised it for two days from now."

"Good," he murmured, not wanting to have to think of that, "Who're you putting in charge?"

Elizabeth shrugged, "I wanted your opinion on that first."

John shook his head sadly, "Who's in the running?"

"Well," Elizabeth chewed her lip, "Dr Kavanagh is one of our leading scientists."

"Hah," John barked sharply, "Rodney would come back to haunt me forever if we give that greasy-haired, pony-tailed ass his job."

"Then who..."

"Zelenka and Grodin," John stated sharply, "Both knew Rodney's work, both were trusted by him and we'll need at least two people to replace McKay."

"Two of them?" Elizabeth asked.

John turned to her, "Think of everything he did Elizabeth. Rodney ran the teams, explored the city, studied everything and went on missions. It'll probably take more than the two of them but they're the only two I feel could make it work."

Elizabeth nodded in agreement, "We'll announce it to the teams after the ceremony. Are you going to say anything?"

John dropped his head before staring out to the horizon once more, "I'll see if I can find something nice to say about him."

-

The ceremony was held in front of the Stargate the entire Gateroom was filled with people. Elizabeth allowed those who wished to take their turns speaking about the two soldiers lost in Jumper Two before she handed the floor over to John.

He walked stiffly to the front and sighed.

"Rodney McKay," he started before giving a small grin, "Was a pain in the ass, but he was our pain in the ass. The man could drive me insane within three minutes of coming into the room but he could also show me a different perspective of the universe. I know he rubbed people the wrong way and I know that there are those pleased he's no longer going to be on their case but I'm going to miss him."

With that said John stepped down taking his place back with Teyla and Ford as Elizabeth took the podium once more.

"Our friends are gone," she told the crowd, "But what they stood for, what they came here to do still exists. Dismissed."

Elizabeth returned to her office managing to get to the briefing room before her tears started. She hated losing anybody but to lose Rodney was a painful blow. She'd seen something in him when they first met as he was standing in the middle of a revelation, he was to most people as John said a pain in the ass but he was a part of the family here and she was going to miss him.

"You are allowed to be sad," the soft voice of Teyla entered the room, "It does not make you a weak leader."

"No," Elizabeth agreed, "But I need to be strong for the rest of the city."

"But you do not need to be strong for me," Teyla said looking round as John joined her, "For either of us."

Elizabeth nodded her tears silently trailing along her cheeks as Teyla placed an arm around her comforting as best she could.

"I thought you'd like to join me, Teyla, Ford, Zelenka, Carson and Grodin for a small wake," John spoke up after a few minutes, "The 'gang's' going to say goodbye the way we all remember Rodney, with chocolate and coffee."

Elizabeth wiped her eyes and laughed, "Sounds good."

With a half-smile John turned and led the way, it was time to let go.

-

The entire science contingent was standing in the room waiting to find out who was being given the job of Head Scientist, many were sure it would be Kavanagh as technically he was the most qualified having been a member of the SGC but only a small few wanted him. Kavanagh was standing smugly in one corner his arms crossed waiting calmly until Elizabeth and John arrived to make the announcement.

At the other side of the room Zelenka and Grodin were standing softly talking turning when the door opened.

"Thank you all for coming," Elizabeth started without ceremony, "With the recent loss of Dr McKay we need a Head of our Science Department. Major Sheppard and I have spoken at great length on this. Dr's Grodin and Zelenka will hold this position jointly. Dismissed."

She and John left straight away as the room fell into chaos.

Kavanagh and his small band were up in arms while as they were congratulated Peter Grodin and Radek Zelenka were standing open-mouthed in shock.

"Well," Elizabeth sighed as she and John headed back to her office, "The next few hours are going to be filled with complaints."

*********************************************

Rodney winced as his leg was jarred when the cart hit a bump, he wasn't sure why Lucia was dragging him out of the town like this but as always her eyes spoke more than her tone ever did and this was important. In his arms slept Belin and Rodney shifted her slightly hoping not to wake her.

"So where is Dina again?" he asked as they moved further away from the town, "She not like road-trips?"

Lucia frowned at his phrase before she ignored it, "Today is when the Pastor teaches the younger members of the community about the Gods and their divine mercy."

Rodney made a slight noise of disgust; he wasn't religious in any way but had learned quickly here you kept it to yourself.

"Then why are we out here?" he demanded.

Lucia shook her head at him, "I thought you would like to get away from the town for a while. I also need to collect some more tea."

"Of course," Rodney snorted, every time he asked what it was she was giving him to drink that was the answer he got, "Tea."

"Rodney," she warned softly, "We shall be there soon. Try and enjoy the ride."

He leaned back and watched the trees go by, he'd been here what he was sure was three weeks now though he couldn't be sure since he'd slept a good part of it, not to mention his leg was healing faster than he thought a broken leg should. He still needed the crutches but could move around using only one of them when in the cottage.

When Lucia stopped the cart she took the baby from him handing him his crutches so he could get out and sit on a blanket she set out before she rested Belin in her crib near them. He sat and played with the girl who was now awake while Lucia brought out their picnic lunch.

-

"I want to apologise to you," Lucia said as they finished eating.

Rodney looked at her completely confused, "For what?"

"For not answering your questions," she replied with a sigh, "But even on the farm it is possible someone could overhear."

Rodney frowned, "Overhear what? Lucia, I don't get this at all. You are a strong person but you're so afraid to speak your mind."

Lucia finished her drink setting the cup down, "These people believe completely that the Gods will heal them alone. I know that something on this world seems to heal people faster than normal."

That caught Rodney's attention, "You're not from this planet?"

She shook her head, "Not originally no though no one in the town knows this. When I was young my home was destroyed by creatures that appeared from nowhere. I was pulled through a strange ring by my parents and ended up here."

"Is it near here?" Rodney demanded excitedly hope he could find a way home to Atlantis.

Lucia shook her head, "No. I do not actually know where it is, it was such a long time ago and I have moved a great deal since then. I'm sorry."

Rodney sighed, "It doesn't matter. It means we must have flown quite a bit after we exited the wormhole."

Lucia unsure what he was talking about just let him ramble on for a while as he theorised what had happened to him.

"Lucia, you were saying?" he suddenly remembered she had been explaining something to him.

"I was explaining why you must be careful about what you say Rodney," she replied calmly, "Especially around Malis."

"Who I've still to meet," Rodney rolled his eyes, "Though from what you've said it's an honour I'm willing to put off for a good while."

"You were very lucky it was Dina who found you," Lucia reminded him, "Anyone of the others would have left you there."

Rodney nodded, "I know. And I am grateful."

"If they ever discover what I did," her voice was serious, her brown eyes dark with worry, "They'll brand me a witch. Just be careful, for me and for my girls."

"I promise," Rodney told her.

*********************************************

Elizabeth watched from the control room as John exited the Stargate annoyance written all over his face. Teyla and Ford were close behind him while Rodney's replacement Dr Foster walked behind them her head down.

She was surprised when Teyla and Ford came up to her office ignoring protocol that stated they had to head straight to the infirmary after a mission.

"Yes?" she asked wondering what was so important to bring the two of them.

"We must speak with you," Teyla started hesitatingly, "About Major Sheppard's attitude to Dr Foster."

"What about it?" Elizabeth asked.

"Well...it is just..." Teyla stammered slightly.

"He made her cry," Ford stated bluntly.

Elizabeth stared at them, "He made her...cry?"

They nodded in unison.

"What happened?" Elizabeth sunk into her seat.

Ford shrugged, "We don't actually know. They were checking out some readings in one of the caves as we prepared to return through the Stargate and suddenly she came running back to camp tears streaming down her face. When the Major returned he just looked at me and I knew not to ask."

"You need to speak with him," Teyla told her.

"I'm not sure I can say anything to help," Elizabeth replied tiredly, "But since someone thought it a good idea to put me in charge..."

They nodded.

"You better go before Carson sends out a search party for you," Elizabeth said sitting chewing her lip in thought as they left.

-

John stormed through the corridors of Atlantis knowing he needed to apologise to Angela Foster but right now he didn't think he could. He didn't want to admit how badly he was taking losing Rodney especially on what should have been a straightforward scientific mission.

"I always thought it would be saving people," Carson's distinctive voice cut through John's thoughts as he stepped out onto the balcony, "Aye, the way he was going he was sure to die the hero he didn't believe he was."

"It sucks," John snapped, "And I don't get why I'm so...I've lost comrades before, even friends but..."

"Here on Atlantis things are different from normal," Carson reminded him, "There's no back-up and nowhere to go after we've lost people we care about."

"He was a pain in the ass," John snapped, "He drove me up the wall. From the moment we met we disagreed on just about everything."

"And became like brothers," Carson finished.

John sighed.

"We all miss him Major," Carson reminded him, "Radek, Peter and I were the closest to him from the science teams, we all miss him but you can't keep going on like this."

"I know," John turned and sat down his back against the railing, "You want me to talk to Heightmeyer?"

"That's a start," Carson nodded.

John looked at him with a slight grimace, "And rejoin the gang."

Carson laughed, "The 'gang' need you John. We just lost Rodney, we can't lose another."

From outside Elizabeth smiled, it looked like someone had got to him first.

*********************************************

Rodney sat beside the fire watching as Lucia sold the small bags of berries, they seemed to haggle for quite some time over the fruit and he watched in astonishment. Finally they left and he turned to her.

"What is with those things?" Rodney demanded, "I mean you got a lot for them, from what I understand of your currency."

Lucia laughed handing him some tea before taking the seat opposite him, "The Halda berry is a delicacy, found in very few places."

"And you somehow bought the farm that had it?" he asked confused.

Lucia shook her head sipping her tea, "Just after we married, Kel and I travelled to find somewhere to settle. The town we lived in was small and we had no family there so we moved from town to town for a while looking for jobs. When we arrived in a town some distance from here we came across an old man who had fallen on the road, we helped him. In his gratitude he gave us a cutting from his own bushes."

"Which you planted here," Rodney grinned amused, "Making you the sole producer in this area."

Lucia smiled back, "Precisely."

"What happed to your husband?" Rodney asked wincing as he suddenly realised how sensitive a topic he just hit.

Lucia sighed, "Just before I discovered I was having Belin there was a flood, Kel saved several children but..."

Rodney winced, "I am so sorry."

Lucia squeezed his hand, "I am surprised it took you so long to ask."

"I have to try and find the Stargate," Rodney moved his hand back looking down at the floor feeling guilty; "I have to find my way back to my friends."

"I know Rodney," Lucia replied sadly, "But not for a few more weeks. You need a little more time to heal and I admit," she gave a slight smile, "It's nice to have another adult in the house."

-

Rodney was walking slowly around the room trying to get some strength back into his legs aware that Belin was sitting in her chair giggling at him.

"It's easy for you," he said to the baby, "You get carried everywhere."

Belin laughed at him and Rodney sat down touching his finger to the small hand smiling as she curled it around and into a fist.

"I'm going to miss you so much when I have to leave," he sighed, "All of you but I have to get back to Atlantis."

"You are going to make people think you're crazy talking to a baby," Lucia laughed from the doorway to her room.

"Who knows anymore," Rodney sighed rubbing the bridge of his nose, he frowned noticing something in her hands that seemed very out of place, "What's that?"

Lucia stepped forward and to his surprise handed him his vest, "I found this when we found you. I thought you may need it."

Rodney took it from her finding his radio as well as his gun and two clips, "Thanks," he said flicking on the radio and jumping through the frequencies not really surprised to find only static.

"We should hide them so no one sees them," Lucia told him, "Malis and the others would not stop to ask questions before arresting you, me or us both."

Rodney nodded, "Good idea, the last thing I need is to be arrested, again."

Lucia tilted her head at him questioningly as Rodney laughed, "Trust me you don't want to know."

"I think I'll get that story out of you some time," Lucia teased, "Because I have a feeling that should be quite a tale."

-

Lucia nodded hello to people as she and Rodney walked towards the marketplace to gather supplies. They had come to the compromise since he couldn't help carry any of their shopping because of his crutches Belin was held to him in a sling against his chest as he hobbled along beside Lucia. She was finding it hard not to laugh at him as Belin had a tight grip of his shirt and kept pulling at it slightly choking him.

"Lucia," Malis appeared in front of them, "I have been meaning to come and see you."

"Really?" Lucia asked, "I assume you wished to check up on my guest. This is he. Rodney meet Malis our Town Leader."

Rodney nodded slightly, "Lucia has mentioned you."

Malis looked him up and down disdainfully, "And how are you?"

"I'm fine, thanks to..." catching the look in Lucia's eyes Rodney continued, "The Gods. Lucia has been very kind allowing me to stay with her and the girls."

"Of course," Malis sneered.

"You must excuse us," Lucia said touching Rodney's elbow, "We have much to buy and need to be home very soon."

As they started to walk away Rodney could feel the eyes of the other man following them especially Lucia and he found he didn't like that at all.

"This way," Lucia guided him to the stalls she needed to go to.

"So what's all this for?" Rodney teased, "Tea?"

Lucia laughed and swatted his arm, "Not everything is for tea Rodney."

They finished their shopping quickly but as they headed back to the cart Rodney could feel Malis watching them and he automatically went to his gun to find it wasn't there. As Lucia started them back home Rodney kept his eyes on Malis knowing he didn't like this man at all.

-

Lucia made dinner that night was Dina sat in the corner reading while Rodney fed Belin for her. He had become comfortable here and Rodney kept trying to push the thought of having to return to Atlantis soon out of his mind, when he'd read that Daniel Jackson had voluntarily lived on another planet for a year Rodney had no idea why or how he could leave his own world but now, sitting here which in some context would be domestic bliss Rodney was finally understanding.

He'd never had much in the way of family, he hated his parents and he'd been estranged from his sister for a long time. The closest he'd got to a family was on Atlantis and he wanted to tell them he was safe but leaving Lucia and the girls was going to be the hardest thing he'd ever have to do.

"Dina, could you get that?" Lucia called when someone knocked in the door.

The teenager rolled her eyes marking her place in her book before heading to the door, she stepped back in surprise as Malis and several other men entered the cottage.

"Malis," Lucia frowned confused, "What brings you here?"

"You are under arrest Lucia," Malis stated as the other two men took her arms.

"What?" Dina cried.

Rodney pulled himself to his feet, "What's the charge?"

Malis turned to him a sneer on his round fat face, "Witchcraft."