The Definition Of Family von LE McMurray

[Reviews - 1]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Laura Cadman had no idea what was happening. One minute she was in Atlantis and the next thing she knew she was sitting in the back of the Jumper watching Colonel Sheppard skim the clouds.

She’d been told she’d seen the symbols of the planet Rodney had gated to but there was something about this that confused her. She remained silent throughout it all, she was worried about Rodney and it was something she didn’t want to be. Too much had been thrown up during her recent visit home that she couldn’t think about, that made her stomach churn and her heart pound with trepidation.

“I’m detecting the other Jumper,” Sheppard spoke up, “Lieutenant, grab a weapon and try not to shoot Rodney. Elizabeth will be disappointed if she doesn’t get to annihilate him for this stunt herself.”

“Yes ,sir,” Laura replied, fixing the holster to her leg before taking the P90 Dr Starr was holding for her, “Can I hurt him a little?”

Her commanding officer glanced round and grinned at her, “Only once we’re back in Atlantis.”



John set the Jumper down beside the other one. He glanced back to where Parker and Jarod stood with Cadman; he hoped they could do this without Cadman stumbling across the truth because if she found out it would cause them even more problems than they already had.

“Parker, Jarod you two head towards the trees,” John ordered, “Cadman and I will head towards the caves. Keep in touch.”

Parker nodded and she motioned Jarod to follow her leaving John with Cadman.

“Lieutenant,” John ordered her to move. Together they moved slowly towards the caves.

John was desperately hoping that Rodney wasn't going to be catatonic when they found him. He’d seen his friend in that state more than enough and since Lyle wasn’t a friend it could be worse.

“Sir,” Cadman whispered, “I can see someone moving over there.”

John motioned her forward his eyes searching for danger or his friend. The young woman with him was disturbed by how she’d got here, he knew that but it had been the only way.

John spun hearing a noise and saw Lyle standing his gun aimed directly at Cadman’s head. The Centre operative smiled slowly at John as he grabbed Cadman round her neck while he pressed the gun tighter against the strawberry blonde hair making her wince. As he was about to squeeze the trigger Rodney appeared as if from nowhere tackling Cadman and pulling her down into the narrow valley as John dived away before Lyle could fire. They’d found Rodney now they had to get out of here alive.



Laura gave a cry as she slammed into the ground the air rushing from her lungs before another body landed on her. Looking up she was shocked to see Rodney’s blue eyes staring down at her.

“Are you okay?” he asked, scrambling a little as he moved off her.

Laura nodded before punching his shoulder unable to talk as she tried to get her breath back.

“Ow,” Rodney grimaced at her, “What was that for?”

“Son…of…a…bitch,” she forced out in between short gasps of breath before she grabbed him round his neck and pulled him to her hugging him as hard as she could. Laura felt Rodney’s arms slide around her for a second before he pulled back. His eyes caught hers and he stared at her intently, his eyes becoming an even deeper blue than she’d ever seen.

Oh God he knows, flashed though her mind.

“Rodney,” a voice drawled, pulling his attention away from her and to the man who’d pressed the gun to her head who stood not far from them, “Sorry to interrupt your little…reunion.”

“Lyle,” the growl that escaped Rodney’s lips was unlike anything Laura had ever heard come from him.

“How is dear Jeannie?” Lyle laughed his gun aimed at Rodney who glared at the other man.

“She’s going to be fine,” Rodney spat at him.

“Shame,” Lyle replied his eyes moving to Laura, “Your friend will not have the same pleasure.”

Rodney continued to glare at Lyle as he towered about him.

“Don’t even think about it Colonel,” Lyle said, pulling out a second weapon and aiming at Sheppard as he appeared before smiling, “Now isn’t this fun?”



Rodney glared at the Centre operative wishing he knew what to do. In his half crouch he knew he would protect Laura if Lyle fired but there was no way he could move. Jarod and Parker were nearby, he knew this but he couldn’t focus on them just now considering what was happening.

The barrel of the gun pressed to his forehead and Rodney knew he had no way out.

“Just let them get out of this,” he whispered the small prayer, jumping as he heard the gun fire.

It took him a second to realise he hadn’t been shot and Rodney glanced up to see Lyle drop the guns as a blood stain spread across his shirt before he fell to the ground revealing Parker standing her gun aimed.

“It’s over,” she whispered.

Rodney moved and caught her as Jarod joined them.

“It’s okay,” Rodney soothed, glancing up to see John and Laura standing over Lyle’s body.

Jarod took her from Rodney who moved slowly to the other two.

“I’ll fly Parker and Jarod back to Atlantis,” Rodney told John, “You take Cadman and the body.”

“Rodney,” John started stopping as the Pretender glared at him.

“You can’t help,” Rodney replied darkly.

John nodded before turning to Laura who was staring at Rodney in complete confusion.

“Lieutenant,” he ordered, “Get back to the Jumper,” she opened her mouth to protest but John cut her off, “That’s an order.”

“Yes, sir,” she nodded softly, leaving them.

Rodney watched her leave before turning to John once he was sure she was far enough away.

“Thanks for coming after me,” Rodney told his friend.

“Don’t thank me,” John snapped, “Elizabeth is after your ass and I don’t have any idea how any of us are going to get out of this.”

“You don’t have to get out of anything, John,” Rodney replied coldly, “This was my decision and my answer’s the same as it is no matter who I am. I came after the bastard who tried to kill my baby sister.”

*********************************************

Elizabeth stood in the Jumper bay her arms folded as she waited for Rodney to exit the ship. John reached her side but seeing the expression on her face wisely chose not to say anything to her. Instead he motioned forward the medic standing there directing them to the body.

Finally the second Jumper opened and Rodney walked out first, he stopped in front of Elizabeth who continued to stare at him making Rodney squirm a little after a while.

“Jeannie’s awake,” she said finally.

Rodney gasped in relief his eyes wide he started towards the infirmary as Elizabeth stepped out of his way and motioned him forward.

“Rodney.”

He stopped turning back as she called his name.

“Do you want to tell me why she said you died when you were five?” Elizabeth asked coldly.

He stared at her before he spun and started towards the infirmary again.

“How is she?” John asked Elizabeth softly as she continued to stare at where Rodney had gone.

Elizabeth turned to him, “According to Carson Jeannie is going to be fine. He believes that this amnesia is only temporary.”

“Unusual amnesia,” John noted, trying to gauge what was going on in Elizabeth’s mind.

Elizabeth turned to him, “I expect a full report on what happened on that planet, Colonel,”

With that she left him standing.



“Carson,” Rodney yelled, entering the infirmary at lightening speed, “Carson. Where the hell are you?”

The doctor appeared from Jeannie’s room and frowned at his friend, “I’m here. Now stop yelling and disturbing my infirmary.”

“Carson,” Rodney growled angrily.

“She’s fine,” Carson replied moving Rodney to a seat, “However we have a problem.”

“Elizabeth said,” Rodney winced, “What did you tell her?”

“That this was a type of amnesia brought on by the blow to her head,” Carson replied evenly, “Rodney, I’ve explained everything to Jeannie about what’s happening but she doesn’t remember meeting you so don’t be surprised if she’s overwhelmed by everything.”

Rodney nodded rubbing his eyes tiredly.

“After you’ve seen her,” Carson frowned, “You need to sleep. So make this visit quick, Rodney.”

Rodney nodded and headed towards the private room where his sister lay.



Jeannie sat trying to get her mind round everything she’d been told by the doctor. Her brother being alive was the one thing that she was trying to believe at the moment not to mention being in some top secret base. A noise from the door made her look up to find a man standing there staring at her looking tired and extremely scruffy.

“Hi?” she looked at him confused.

A smile broke across his face, “Hi, Jeannie, how’re you feeling?”

“I’d like to know who you are,” she replied with a raised eyebrow.

He gave a sad smile, “Once upon a time…”

“Rodney?” she gasped in amazement.

He nodded softly, “Yeah,” he moved closer to her pulling a seat over to her bedside.

Jeannie looked at him her eyes wandered his face recognising the little boy she’d known all those years ago. Reaching out Jeannie grabbed him and wrapped her arms around his neck hugging him tightly.

“Oh God, Rodney you’re really here,” she cried as he held onto her just as tightly.

After a few minutes Rodney released her and sat back again wiping away a tear, “You need to rest.”

Jeannie smiled at him, “You too, you look like hell.”

Rodney shrugged before leaning over and gently kissing her forehead, “I’m sorry I let this happen.”

“How about we talk about this tomorrow once we’ve both got some sleep?” she whispered.

Rodney nodded squeezing her hand tightly before leaving her alone again. With a smile Jeannie slid down and closed her eyes to sleep.

*********************************************

Zelenka sighed in relief when Rodney appeared in the lab before he started yelling at the Pretender for several minutes.

“You do realise I understand absolutely everything you just said, don’t you?” Rodney asked as he dropped tiredly into a seat, “And I have to agree to the bit about my mother.”

Zelenka laughed and handed him a mug filled with steaming liquid.

“What is it?” Rodney took an experimental sniff.

“Tea, Rodney,” Zelenka replied amused, “You know there are drinks other than coffee.”

A small shy smile appeared on the Pretender’s lips as he took a long drink, “Thanks, Radek.”

Zelenka nodded, “You should not have done that, Rodney. You should have waited for John to return from his mission then you would not be in this mess.”

Rodney sighed, “I guess I wasn't thinking straight. I thought I was losing Jeannie and I…”

“You let your anger take over you,” Zelenka noted, “That is very dangerous thing especially for you, Rodney.”

“I know,” Rodney focussed on the tea he was drinking.

Zelenka sighed, “Go and get some rest, Rodney. Dr Weir wants to talk to you in the morning concerning what you did.”

“I know,” Rodney yawned, “Okay, I’ll see you tomorrow, Radek. Night.”

“Goodnight, Rodney,” Zelenka smiled slightly watching his friend as he staggered out of the room.



“Here,” Jarod handed the glass of water to Parker as she sat on her bed staring into space.

She didn’t say a word as she took it from him, she hadn’t since just after Lyle had collapsed to the ground; her dark eyes were filled with exhaustion as she stared blankly at the wall.

Jarod frowned, worried about her. He hovered nervously in the corner, not wanting to leave her alone but not sure if he was wanted. After she’d drank a little water Parker set the glass down laying back onto her bed curling into a ball.

Unable to leave her like this Jarod moved to lie behind her wrapping her body in his larger one. Parker turned cuddling into him.

“Thank you,” she breathed.

Jarod gently kissed her forehead before pulling the blanket over them lying watching until she fell asleep wishing he could take away the pain she felt from what she’d done.



Laura paced her room the day’s events going through her mind over and over. It didn’t feel right what she’d been told about how they’d found Rodney, she didn’t remember seeing any Gate address at any time so how did she get them to the planet?

Of course this line of thought led her to thinking about Rodney. Most specifically how strangely he was acting. He hadn’t yelled or been his usual acerbic annoying self since she’d arrived which made her suspicious.

“He was worried about his sister,” she said to the room, “But that usually brings out the irritating side of him.”

Laura wanted to smash something but was interrupted by a chime.

“Who the hell is that?” she demanded to the empty room running a hand through her hair before opening the door, “Rodney?”

The weary man standing in doorway bore only a passing resemblance to the irritating egotistical scientist she’d met several months ago.

“Can I come in for a minute?” Rodney asked his voice soft and tired.

“Sure,” Laura stepped back, letting him inside before she leaned against the wall, “What’s up?”

Rodney took a deep breath as he looked at her, “I wanted to say thank you.”

Laura raised an eyebrow in surprise, “Should I be recording this conversation for posterity or possibly blackmail?”

He frowned at her, “Never mind.”

“Rodney,” she caught his arm before he could brush past her, “I was kidding. You do remember that? How we usually talk to one another.”

“Cadman…” he started with a sigh, “Laura, I just wanted to thank you for the help back on the planet and for helping them find me.”

A small smile touched her lips, “Colonel Sheppard gets bored without you around to annoy.”

“Forget it,” Rodney grimaced heading to the door.

“Hey,” she stepped in front of the door, “Look, I’m sorry this just isn’t like you.”

“I’m going to go get some sleep,” he told her, “I’ll see you tomorrow.”

Laura nodded shocked as Rodney leaned forward and brushed a very gentle kiss to her lips. As they parted she stared up to find his eyes deep blue staring into hers.

“Goodnight,” he broke eye contact first and quickly left her alone.

Completely confused Laura went to her bed and collapsed on top of it. She had to do this; she had to do it tomorrow.

*********************************************

Jeannie sat reading the book Dr Beckett had found for her; she was tired but needed to stay awake for a while. She didn’t want to sleep much more anyway.

“Well this is something new,” a man drawled making her look up finding a thin man standing, his black clothes made him seem even slimmer while his spiky hair added to the strange look, “Morning, Jeannie - finally.”

“I take it I’m supposed to know you,” Jeannie rested the book down watching as he dragged a seat to sit at the side of the bed.

“Yep,” he grinned at her making her frown confused.

“Can I at least get a name?” she demanded, “Since you’re obviously going to spend some time here.”

He grinned at her, “Lt Colonel John Sheppard at your service.”

“Ohhhhhkay,” Jeannie chewed her lip for a second, “And you are…”

“A friend,” he leaned back in his chair, “Of your brother.”

“So why are you sitting here, Lt Colonel?” Jeannie asked him, not that she minded he was amusing not to mention very easy on the eyes.

“It’s John and I’m here cause Rodney’s getting his ass chewed out by Weir for his little trip yesterday,” John explained, “So I thought I’d come here and keep you company if you don’t mind?”

She gave a slight shrug, “I don’t mind.”

“Excellent,” he smacked his hands together, “So, anything to eat around here?”

Jeannie laughed and shook her head, “I ate everything the Doctor gave me.”

“Definitely a McKay,” John muttered with a grimace, “And I’ve probably missed the good pastries.”

She stared at him a little confused, thankful when she heard her brother call his friend’s name.

“Hi, Rodney,” Jeannie smiled her brother, he looked much better this morning rested.

He leaned over and gave her a quick hug before turning to his friend, “Hey.”

“Hey, you’re still alive then?” John mused, “What did Elizabeth say?”

Rodney shrugged, “Not much actually. I don’t know if it’s a good thing or not.”

“Not sure about that myself,” John grimaced.

“Can I talk to you alone for a minute?” Rodney asked John before turning to his sister, “It’ll only be a minute.”

“I’ll be fine on my own for about sixty seconds,” Jeannie told him.

Rodney nodded a little nervously before motioning John to come with him, “It’s about Cadman...”



Elizabeth sat at her desk staring at the file in front of her. Caldwell had sent her everything from Lyle’s quarters on the Daedalus; she hadn’t had a chance to go through it until now.

When Jeannie had told them that her brother had died when he was five made her flash back to the last time Starr and Parker had been on Atlantis to what Jones had said as he tried to drag Rodney through the Stargate.

Why are you putting your lives in the hands of this impostor?

Elizabeth stared at the file tapping her fingers on it wondering if she wanted to know what was in there. Wondering if she would lose a friend in the second it took to glance at the papers within.

Taking a deep breath Elizabeth gripped the folders edge and opened the file.